Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #781
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
[COLOR="Sienna"]

Finished the job I was working on. THANK HEAVENS! All that's left is proofreading/printing. Glad THAT'S over.

Good day for regaining control. Kept fats high intentionally, carbs low. Bring on the eggs. Miracle food.

Supposed to go out for a dinner/meeting with the football moms at a local Mexican restaurant. I don't want to be a snob and not eat, but I don't know what to order. So I went ahead and had a light snack here just in case, and so I won't be REALLY hungry and overly tempted.

TOTALS TODAY:

CALS 1610

PROT........141 GR..........36%
CARBS.......47 GR...........10%
FIBER........15 GR
FAT............98 GR...........54%

WORKOUTS

A.M.

43 mins cardio (Turbo Jam w/gloves)
300 crunches

P.M.

(Scheduled to run C25K tonight, but will likely wait until after I return from football dinner/meeting.)

[/COLOR]

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #782
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healed01
Stats: 183/142/135
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: May 23 2008
Hi Twyla
I love the consistency of your journal ...good or bad...you're always there processing towards your goal...I want to get to a point where I'm working out again on a regular basis..would you say that you're working out 2x a day...what is a general weekly workout schedual you have for yourself...what about eating? what's that like over the course of the week for you? I also have turbo Jam and am interested to see how you integrate it in your week..

awesome picture by the way..you look fab!
Old 08-08-2008, 02:38 AM   #783

Quote:
Originally Posted by healed01 View Post
Hi Twyla
I love the consistency of your journal ...good or bad...you're always there processing towards your goal...I want to get to a point where I'm working out again on a regular basis..would you say that you're working out 2x a day...what is a general weekly workout schedual you have for yourself...what about eating? what's that like over the course of the week for you? I also have turbo Jam and am interested to see how you integrate it in your week..

awesome picture by the way..you look fab!
Hi, Healed. Thanks for that! Glad you're here to share.

My workouts are the part of my life that remain consistent. I know I'm addicted to working out, and I'm not ashamed of it. They make me feel good, think clearer, breathe better, not to mention how they contribute to my fitness goals. They're non-negotiable. This summer I've had the luxury of getting in an extra half hour in the evenings (not as busy with school/homework/stuff), and that has given me a chance to sneak in some extra cardio (or weights) and hope for an extra edge of fat burning.

Typically I work out M-F from 5:30-6:30 a.m. -- that's in stone. Sat's, whenever I can work it in, but I prefer earlier in the day. Sundays are my light day, usu only half hour of s/s cardio.

I love Turbo Jam. ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. My RPE is every bit as high as when I'm pushing for 20 mins with HIIT. I use weighted gloves and never stop moving, intensifying the workout with every step. It targets my whole body, that's why I love it. I usu do it twice a week. Ab Jam, once or twice a week.

M, W, F a.m. - 1 hour of Super Callanetics (non-negotiable)

T Th - UB Weights; Turbo Jam

W - 15 mins LB weights (squeeze it in whenever)

Sat - UB and LB weights, usu 1 - 1.5 hours

30 mins of cardio, 3-4 days per week

(I squeeze in crunches (200-300) and pushups all throughout the week, whenever time/opportunity allows)

That's the gist of my workout sched.

The food? I keep carbs close to my workouts, tapering at other times of the day with fibrous/green only.

Hope that helped. If you allow workouts to become a part of your life, making them as common as brushing your teeth, it's much easier to stick to your plan. They have to become HABIT, not a chore.

So glad you stopped in. Hope we can learn from each other. So nice to meet you.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #784
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
[COLOR="Red"] TGIF [/COLOR]

CAN YOU SMELL FRIDAY??
*** (CLICK HERE) ***

Old 08-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #785

[COLOR="DimGray"]Very cute, HB![/COLOR]
Old 08-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #786

[COLOR="Sienna"]FRI AUG 8

TGIF. Second controlled day in a row, despite no TOM. Already a day late. WHAT is THIS about?

Whatever.

Not dwelling on it.

I've drank two gallons of water daily for the past 3 days. I can't see land.

Ended up having a small grilled chicken salad on a bed of lettuce & peppers, bit of onion, w/Ranch and 1.5 Mich Ultras last night at the football dinner. Safe.

Got in my C25K run afterwards, although it was rather late to be sweatin' it and such...needed to get to bed. Got it in no less.

TODAY'S EATS:

CALS 1946

PROT.......166 GR.......35%
CARBS......79 GR........15%
FIBER.......32 GR
FAT ........115 GR........53%

WORKOUTS:

A.M.

1 hour Super Callanetics
3 sets of plie squats

P.M.

25 mins upper body weights
......(triceps & biceps, 12, 15, 20 lbs, never more than 10 sec's rests; plus 3 sets 30 pushups
and 3 sets upright rows w/15 lbs)

15 mins HIIT on elliptical

[/COLOR]
Old 08-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #787

[COLOR="Sienna"]SAT AUG 9

Great day. Getting back into my "groove," it seems. But still no TOM..........WTH?

My carb rotations aren't as structured as I'd like them to be, but I'm dealing with hormones right now, so my body is out of rhythm. Trying to wait it out and deal with it, keeping my workouts consistent to burn off stress and increase endorphins....which I need so desperately right now.

Today was a great day. Manged to cap my calories today: 1503.

I've come to a conclusion that as an endomorph, I really do need a little more cardio than others for the EDGE. Not everyone has the same formula for getting into their best/peak shape. Some say too much cardio is a waste of time. Others say, no, you need a balance. And other sources say, no you need more cardio than weights, but make sure you get both.

After researching this debate from every angle, I've decided that based on MY BODY TYPE and issues, I need a little more cardio than the avg JoAnn. So I'm trying to shoot for 1-2 days per week where I can get in a full hour of cardio, split up in a.m. and p.m. And what days I can get in 30 mins of cardio otherwise, I will. I'm loving the running thing. I pray that I can keep it up w/o incident or injury.

Tonight was my first time while doing the C25K program to run a full 8 mins before beginning the walk/recovery. I ran 8 mins, then walked 2; ran 10, walked 2, ran 4, walked 2. Yessssssssssssssss. I think it had something to do with my pre-run meal. I was craving a toasted PB (natural) sandwich with slices of garden-fresh tomatoes and a protein shake. ALL DAY! I ate that meal about 40 mins before my run. It was perfect for fuel -- 35 carbs, 34 protein, 11 gr fat, for 334 calories. So delish too!

I have NO DESIRE to weigh myself until I figure out what's going on hormonally right now. I'm going strictly by clothes, the mirror, consistent workouts, and adherence to nutrition as closely as possible.

TODAY'S TOTALS

CALS 1503

PROT........166 GR..........44%
CARBS......132 GR..........28%
FIBER.........42 GR
FAT.............53 GR.........31%

WORKOUTS:

A.M.

43 mins Turbo Jam Cardio Party w/gloves
25 mins UB (back & delts - 12, 15, 20 and weight machine)

P.M.

34 mins cardio (C25K run intervals)

[/COLOR]
Old 08-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #788
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Hey T, if you have a chance, I would to see your menu for today.
Nice job on high protein & fiber + medium carb & fat with such low calories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
[COLOR="Sienna"]
CALS 1503

PROT........166 GR..........44%
CARBS......132 GR..........28%
FIBER.........42 GR
FAT.............53 GR.........31%
[/COLOR]
Old 08-10-2008, 04:50 AM   #789

HB, it's been helpful for me to try to keep my fiber at least 30 gr a day for hunger issues. So there's a tip.

Here goes.

Meal 1

1/2 c f/f cottage cheese
2 T Fiber One
2 T protein whey
1 T flax meal
1 T f/f cream
coffee
protein bread (2.30 oz)

Meal 2

1 boiled egg
1/2 c cole slaw (prep'd w/ mayo)

Meal 3

blackberries (1.45 oz)
2 T Fiber One
Protein Bread (1.80 oz)
1/2 c f/f cottage cheese
1/2 slice Nature's Own Fiber Wheat Bread
1.05 oz of sliced banana
1 tsp nat PB
1 T f/f cream
coffee

Meal 4

1.75 servings Mesquite Grilled Chicken Breasts (Sam's)
Spinach (1 oz)
Tomato
Onion
1 T Fiesta Dip

Meal 5 (12 g of Fiber!) *

2 slices of N/O Fiber Bread, toasted
4 oz sliced tomatoes
1 T nat PB
1 scoop Cookies&Cream Protein Whey shake

(* I only eat this many carbs later in the day if I am going to be working them off. I knew I was going for my run and wanted the extra carbs for fuel/energy. My morning workout was closer to Meal 3.)

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 08-10-2008 at 04:54 AM..
Old 08-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #790
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healed01
Stats: 183/142/135
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: May 23 2008
thanks T

I'm copied and pasted it in my J so I can refer to it.

did you buy this online? Super Callanetics

Last edited by healed01; 08-10-2008 at 12:10 PM..
Old 08-10-2008, 05:55 PM   #791

You're welcome, Healed.

[COLOR="Sienna"]SUN AUG 10

Good day. TOM finally here. Yay.

Hunger levels back within normal range. Had a little more fat today than I had targeted for. Otherwise, good cap.

Beautiful sun, not humid, good relaxation.

Grilled Salmon Burger for dinner, with a salad. Yum.

TOTALS:

CALS 1693

PROT........160 GR.....38%
CARBS.......72 GR.....15%
FIBER........26
FAT............83 GR.....43%
ALCOHOL...10 GR........4% (one glass w/dinner)

WORKOUTS:

20 MINS HIIT elliptical
10 mins s/s cardio (elliptical)
200 crunches
50 pushups

[/COLOR]
Old 08-11-2008, 07:03 AM   #792
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PamF
Twyla:

I posted the message below in the Other Plans, Keto Thread, but I have read that you were trying the keto/refeed way of eating too, so I wanted to ask for any input you might have too:

Btinc and amiga74, since you seem to be the experts on this board, I will address my story and questions to you two. A couple of weeks ago, I read through this entire thread and decided to give this a try to repair my metabolism and jump start some weight loss.

My background story is that I have done Atkins for the last 4 years, going from 254 to my lowest weight of 170. Currenly, I am 36 years old, 5'5, and am now up 15 pounds from my lowest at 185. I was quite easily maintaining my weight at 170, until last Thanksgiving and Christmas, when I went overboard and managed to pack on 15 pounds, and now am not able to take the 15 pounds back off. It seems like the only way I am able to lose any weight anymore is to either drop my calories down to 1400-1500, or do drastic diets like meat & egg or *******. I know that these methods of dieting lead to damaged metabolisms, so I am trying to avoid them. I am also a hypothyroid, taking 112 mg of Synthroid daily.

I am a fairly active person. I take a 40 minute spinning class three times a week, and have in the last month added a full body 1 hour weight workout two to three times a week. I also mix in cardio dvds here and there during the week to try to burn more calories.

Now, back to the present, after reading this entire thread, I did low carb last week, keeping my calories at around 1900 a day, with my macros being 67% fat, 5% carbs and 28% protein. Then, on Saturday, I ate a banana then waited 30 minutes and then did a one hour full body weight workout for my depletion workout, and then the rest of the day ate low fat, high carb. Then yesterday, today and through the week I am going back to low carb. I was up 4 pounds this morning, which was kind of depressing, but I also knew to expect it from reading this thread.

So, my first question is: with my weight and exercise level, do you think I am a good candidate for this method of eating? I would really like to repair my metabolism and drop about 35 pounds.

Second question, two of my favorite things to snack on are cottage cheese and greek yogurt, both sweetened with Splenda. Should I avoid both of these things during the week while doing low carb?

Also, please let me know if you think any of my eating, exercising, or anything else may need tweaking.

Thanks in advance for any input you two can give me!!!

Pam
Old 08-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #793

Pam,

From my personal experience and from reading your info, it appears that you would be a great candidate for this TKD/CKD program.

Key to making this work:

Strict adherence to macros (as you have done, by the way) throughout the week -- fat high, carbs low, 20-35ish range; and very low fat, 20% or below on the weekends, with carbs around 300-350 minimum, moderate protein.

Consistent, varied training, 100% effort, to include no less than 3-4 days of cardio, 2-3 days of weight training per week.

Patience. This is not a push-button, miracle, overnight fat loss strategy. You're repairing your metab and it takes time.

Developing a sensory acuity of your body's needs. Listening to your body, feeding it when it's needing fuel, and learning to discern what TYPE of fuel.

Adequate rest.

ALL THAT SAID....

I think it would be wise to eat no less than 1850 calories for the first 3 weeks. (10 x your body weight) You could throw in a higher day mid week of say 2000 cals if you feel it would be helpful. Repairing your metab can start with not going too low, and even going to your TDEE (total daily exercise expenditure) a few days a week. Your body has likedly tried to adjust to "surviving" on fewer calories, and you want to start feeding it, not starving it, esp if you're willing to put in the "work" hours at building muscle.

As for the cottage cheese, I've read dairy stalls some people. I love it too, but I try to limit it to mornings only, which is when I work out. Some people eliminate it all together, but I found that wasn't necessary, as it did not seem to interfere with my weight loss when eaten in moderation and on morning menus.

I would be careful with alcohol, as it can slow fat-burning. While doing the keto I tried limiting it to 2 glasses of wine per week, and only on the day of my refeed.

Drink no less than one gallon of water daily.

Of the carbs you do eat during the week, eat them around your workout times for fuel if you find it necessary.

I would love to follow your progress and help you out in any way I can.

Please keep me informed. Best of luck to you. And stay off the scale for at least 2-3 days following refeeds, K?
Old 08-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #794
Junior LCF Member

Twyla:

Thank you so much for your input. I truly enjoy reading your journal. I find you to be so inspiring because of your strong motivation. I even enjoy reading about your struggles around "that time of the month", because I struggle in that area too. Each and every month around that time, I fight an enourmous appetite, plus an irritability where I can't even stand myself. Even though I do feel bad for my kids and husband when I'm in this irritable mode, it's like I have a black cloud over my head that I just can't shake. When I hear of others fighting the same battle, it comforts me knowing that others have the same problem.

I will continue to keep you updated. I do "lurk" in your journal to find inspiration sometimes, I'm just not much of a commenter. I did refeed this Saturday, and was quite surprised to find my appetite much lower on Sunday and today (Monday). Before, eating anything high carb would have sent me into a tailspin of craving more and more carbs, so this is new territory for me.

Again, thanks for your input and I will keep you updated.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #795

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamF View Post
I did refeed this Saturday, and was quite surprised to find my appetite much lower on Sunday and today (Monday). Before, eating anything high carb would have sent me into a tailspin of craving more and more carbs, so this is new territory for me.
Pam, this was equally surprising to me on my first successful refeed (my first one I messed up, too much fat). I thought sure I'd be in Carb Craving City for DAYS following, eating anything/everything that wasn't nailed down.

I guess being so depleted, and keeping the fat that low on refeed, it sends the carbs/glycogen right to our cells where it's needed most, and has so very little (if any) effect on blood sugar. That was SO liberating to me, knowing that I could enjoy carbs once a week. It made me not crave them at other times just knowing that I had freedom on one day of the week. I would make smores with just one small square of chocolate on GR. crackers and marshmallows....put that down with a mug of coffee.....mmmmmmmmmm! And my appetite on the two days following, like you said, much lower!

The next most surprising thing to me was my energy levels from the carbs. It was the most INTENSE energy I've ever felt, almost to the point where I couldn't sit/stand still, I could almost feel the blood rushing through my veins! What a great, natural high!

If you have a journal, point me to it. I'll pop in and keep you straight.

Keep up the good work (and we'll lean on each other during our "evil" times, k?).
Old 08-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #796

[COLOR="Sienna"]MON AUG 11

Busy day with lots of deadlines, frustrations, and beat-the-clock moments. Work, errands, stuff. Lost one of the tiny diamonds that surround the top half of my wedding ring. I had just gotten it checked/cleaned in May. I had hoped to take it to the jewelers today, but ran out of time. I'll try to get to it tomorrow.

For some reason I got hungry mid afternoon. I had run out of food that I'd brought to the office with me, so I ate 1 tsp of nat PB with tea, waited 20 mins. Still hungry. Remembered I had a can of salmon in my desk drawer. Emergency stash. I ate that and drank a bottle of water. Held me till dinner. I thought that was the beginning of a "hungries" pattern that would last into the evening, but after my dinner (salmon burger, green beans and sliced tomatoes), I was not hungry anymore.

Before my run I ate 1/2 slice of fiber bread, 1/2 Tbs of nat PB, and 2 slices of tomato, just for a little extra "GO." And it was sooooo good.

Nice evening, less humidity, almost fall like. My beloved favorite season awaits me.

Good glute DOMS noticeable after work today from my Callanetics session this morning.

TOTALS TODAY:

CALS 1664

PROT.......181 GR......43%
CARBS.....100 GR......21%
FIBER........36 GR
FAT............69 GR......37%

WORKOUTS:

A.M.

1 HOUR SUPER CALLANETICS

P.M.

35 mins cardio (C25K running intervals)

Tomorrow is my cardio/weights day. I'll go a little higher on carbs, probably around 150-170.

[/COLOR]
Old 08-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #797
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fitmama
Stats: 147/139/130
WOE: Wendy Chant
Start Date: July 28, 2008
Hello Twyla,

I am new to this thread but heard about you from Kelley in the low carb challenges thread of Wendy Chant. She recommended I come here and read about you and your inspiraring journals. I will give you a bit of my background before I ask you some questions that I think you might be able to help me with. I am 38 years old and have two children 12 and 8. At the age of 18 decided that I was sick of being fat. I joined WW and lost 80 lbs and my life changed forever. Eating healthy became my lifestyle. I had two children and each pregnancy gave me 60lbs. I managed to lose most of the weight. For the last few years, I have yo yo-ed between 128lbs and 145lbs. I exercise 6 times a week. I do a bootcamp for 30 minutes 4 times a week and I do Zumba classes 2 times a week. I consider myself to be in good shape. I decided to try the Wendy Chant program because I had not seen the scale budge in almost a year. It had even gone up a couple of pounds regardless of the exercise and diet. Because I am WW trained, I would usually allot my points to carb...popcorn, pretzels etc. Never going over the 1200 or 1300 calorie mark. After reading the book, I realized that I really needed to be eating more protein and less carbs even if they were not high calorie snacks. I did the first week of carb deplete and lost 6.8 lbs. The second week, where we reintroduce the carbs, I actually gained 3 lbs and have not lost anything else. I am not discouraged because I vowed to stick to this program for the 8 weeks and then make a judgement. I had posted on the other thread, that during the 2nd and now 3rd week, I am feeling dizzy and tired. Some people, like Kelley, suggested I may not be eating enough. So here is my question, how do I know if I am eating enough? How do I guide myself? I am eating every 3 hours and I am NOT hungry. My caloric intake is between 1200-1300. I want this to work for me because I need to find something that will help me get to my ultimate goal...Do you have any suggestions?

MARI

[COLOR="Blue"]Always strive to be the[/COLOR] [COLOR="Lime"]BEST[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]that you can be and there is no way you will not be[/COLOR] [COLOR="Lime"]SUCCESSFUL!!![/COLOR]

Last edited by fitmama; 08-12-2008 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 08-12-2008, 04:40 PM   #798

Hi, Mari.

I don't know about the Wendy Chant thread, so I'm speaking only from what I have learned from btinc about nutrition, my experience with carb cycling and BFFM, and my beginnings with Atkins.

As for losing the good bit when you began carb deplete, that would be expected. Sometimes part of that loss can be water. When you reintroduce carbs, you will hold water for a while until your body adjusts to the carbs, and the time of the plateau can vary. So for starters, be patient with the adjustment period. Your body is testing the waters (no pun intended), and will eventually adjust to the change in nutrients. When we're depleted and then begin eating carbs again, our muscles sponge up the carbs
and water, and it simply reflects glycogen and water in the muscles. This will level out. Be patient and stay off the scales. Only weigh once a week.

If you're tired, it can possibly be an insufficient amount of calories for your age/weight/activity level; or, it can be insufficient carbs for your energy levels.

Starting with cals first, you didn't mention your height, so going strictly on weight from your siggy and your activity levels mentioned, you should be eating no less than 1400 in your weight loss phase. Going too low for too long will cause your body to go into starvation mode. The effect of going too low in cals for too long is a decreased metabolism, decreased energy levels, a change in your body's chemistry making it easier to store fat (starvation response, searching for energy stores), and loss of muscle.

In the weight loss phase, shoot for 15-20% less than your maintenance level of calories, (or 10 x your body weight is another way to gauge). It's not a good idea to keep it there for more than 3 days. Try increasing your calories for a few days, and sometimes it helps to keep them higher for a few weeks. When we eat more, our body burns more. A temporary increase in calories when you have hit a plateau will kickstart your metabolic rate, sending a a signal to your body that you're not trying to starve yourself and that it’s ok to keep burning calories. I learned this the hard way. It actually helped me to keep my cals at maintenance level for a few weeks before I began a deficit.

Cycling our cals is just as effective as cycling our carbs. It keeps the body guessing.

To quote Tom Venuto: "With a slower metabolism, what used to be a maintenance level now becomes a
surplus, and the weight comes right back on. Most people gain back all the weight they lost– and some gain back even more, leaving them fatter than when they started. This up and down pattern of weight loss and weight re-gain is commonly known as the “yo-yo cycle”, and it often continues for years or even for an entire lifetime. With each repeated bout of dieting, your metabolism becomes less and less efficient and you can actually become progressively fatter while eating less food."

Deficits are necessary, but they should only be for a few days, then kick it up a notch, then back to deficits again.

As for not being hungry, try eating smaller meals more often.

Time your carbs that you DO eat around your workout times, when their effect is needed/noticed the most, and you'll burn them off without storage.

Drink no less than a gallon of water a day. Our bodies need it to flush out the wastes of the fat that's being burned. The more we drink, the less water we retain.

Make sure you're eating ample protein. It takes the longest to metabolize of all nutrients and will help you to maintain your muscle in the weight loss phase. Shoot for one gram of protein per pound of body weight, esp if you're exercising to the extent that you are.

I've probably forgotten some things I wanted to mention, but let me know if this helps or if I can be of help down the road. We learn from each other and from our own experiences.

Zig-zag those calories --FEED YOUR BODY, be patient with the reintroduction of carbs; time the carbs around workouts, drink your water, and eat sufficient protein. And KEEP MOVING!

Keep me posted, K?

Old 08-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #799

[COLOR="Sienna"]TUES AUG 12

Day started out great. No humidity, nice sun. Great workout. Easy-paced morning. Pending tasks accomplished.

Went to the mall on lunch hour. Visited 2 stores. Trying to beat the clock with only minutes left (I had to be in court by 1:30), I hurriedly made my one purchase and hustled back out into the mall to go back to the courthouse, and only a few minutes passed when I noticed I was missing my keys. The clock is TICKING!

Back to the store, inquire, search, nothing. Back to the other store: ditto. Repeat this pattern again. Nothing. I call the judge and tell him what happened, that I'm on my way, don't be mad at me. Flying like a jet through the mall, stressed; beg courthouse security on the outside intercom to let me in, I'm safe, I work here, and I'm late for court, fly up the stairs, bailiff lets me in the back door (no keys, right?), bust into the courtroom, apologies offered, do the hearing, court ends, back to the mall to search again. Nothing. Leave my cell phone # with both stores and with Mall Customer Service.

I begin wondering: How am I going to get home? Get in my house? Where do I get a new security key, office key, bathroom key, back door key? Car keys.

I go to my office and sit and wait. What else can I do?

My cell rings about 30 mins later. Ann Taylor store. They found them. REJOICE.

The rest of the day resumes normalcy, and I get really thrilled when I hear my elevator key trigger the chime on my way back upstairs to my office. Great little sound, that chime. Never gave a flip before, but it was a newly found simple pleasure. Life lessons.

TODAY'S TOTALS:

CALS 1701

PROT.......178 GR.......41%
CARBS......161 GR.....34%
FIBER.........44 GR
FAT.............52 GR.....27%

Stayed surprisingly full all day. Even with the extra carbs and lower fat. How sweet is THAT?

WORKOUTS:

AM

30 mins UB (Tricpes, delts, chest)
25 mins Turbo Jam Cardio Party w/gloves

PM

20 mins HIIT elliptical
200 crunches
[/COLOR]
Old 08-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #800
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi, Mari.

I don't know about the Wendy Chant thread, so I'm speaking only from what I have learned from btinc about nutrition, my experience with carb cycling and BFFM, and my beginnings with Atkins.

As for losing the good bit when you began carb deplete, that would be expected. Sometimes part of that loss can be water. When you reintroduce carbs, you will hold water for a while until your body adjusts to the carbs, and the time of the plateau can vary. So for starters, be patient with the adjustment period. Your body is testing the waters (no pun intended), and will eventually adjust to the change in nutrients. When we're depleted and then begin eating carbs again, our muscles sponge up the carbs
and water, and it simply reflects glycogen and water in the muscles. This will level out. Be patient and stay off the scales. Only weigh once a week.

If you're tired, it can possibly be an insufficient amount of calories for your age/weight/activity level; or, it can be insufficient carbs for your energy levels.

Starting with cals first, you didn't mention your height, so going strictly on weight from your siggy and your activity levels mentioned, you should be eating no less than 1400 in your weight loss phase. Going too low for too long will cause your body to go into starvation mode. The effect of going too low in cals for too long is a decreased metabolism, decreased energy levels, a change in your body's chemistry making it easier to store fat (starvation response, searching for energy stores), and loss of muscle.

In the weight loss phase, shoot for 15-20% less than your maintenance level of calories, (or 10 x your body weight is another way to gauge). It's not a good idea to keep it there for more than 3 days. Try increasing your calories for a few days, and sometimes it helps to keep them higher for a few weeks. When we eat more, our body burns more. A temporary increase in calories when you have hit a plateau will kickstart your metabolic rate, sending a a signal to your body that you're not trying to starve yourself and that it’s ok to keep burning calories. I learned this the hard way. It actually helped me to keep my cals at maintenance level for a few weeks before I began a deficit.

Cycling our cals is just as effective as cycling our carbs. It keeps the body guessing.

To quote Tom Venuto: "With a slower metabolism, what used to be a maintenance level now becomes a
surplus, and the weight comes right back on. Most people gain back all the weight they lost– and some gain back even more, leaving them fatter than when they started. This up and down pattern of weight loss and weight re-gain is commonly known as the “yo-yo cycle”, and it often continues for years or even for an entire lifetime. With each repeated bout of dieting, your metabolism becomes less and less efficient and you can actually become progressively fatter while eating less food."

Deficits are necessary, but they should only be for a few days, then kick it up a notch, then back to deficits again.

As for not being hungry, try eating smaller meals more often.

Time your carbs that you DO eat around your workout times, when their effect is needed/noticed the most, and you'll burn them off without storage.

Drink no less than a gallon of water a day. Our bodies need it to flush out the wastes of the fat that's being burned. The more we drink, the less water we retain.

Make sure you're eating ample protein. It takes the longest to metabolize of all nutrients and will help you to maintain your muscle in the weight loss phase. Shoot for one gram of protein per pound of body weight, esp if you're exercising to the extent that you are.

I've probably forgotten some things I wanted to mention, but let me know if this helps or if I can be of help down the road. We learn from each other and from our own experiences.

Zig-zag those calories --FEED YOUR BODY, be patient with the reintroduction of carbs; time the carbs around workouts, drink your water, and eat sufficient protein. And KEEP MOVING!

Keep me posted, K?

Wow!!! thank you for your detailed response. It makes total sense what you are explaining. I want to restate a couple of things to make sure I understood you completely. I am 5 ft 4in tall since I did not say it before and I am weighing 140 lbs. Okay..as far as calories, I should consume no less than 1400 right? Then for no more than 3 days, I should consume 15 to 20% less and then kick it up again. Am I understanding this right? I am not hungry at all. The eating every 3 hours and having proteins in every meal has really taken away my cravings so I am really not hungry. I eat because I know I have to eat.
Now, what do you mean by timing my carbs. For example, if I exercise at 8am, I would have a protein shake before going just because I have to get the kids ready for school and head out. Then I would have breakfast when I return from exercise. Where would you fit in the carbs? Does it mean you should not have carbs later in the day if you exercise in the morning? Sorry for all these questions, but judging for your "fit" looking picture, I think I am asking the right person these questions

Thanks again for you response. You are truly an inspiration.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:02 AM   #801

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmama View Post
I want to restate a couple of things to make sure I understood you completely. I am 5 ft 4in tall since I did not say it before and I am weighing 140 lbs. Okay..as far as calories, I should consume no less than 1400 right? Then for no more than 3 days, I should consume 15 to 20% less and then kick it up again.
Mari, sorry I wasn't more clear. To keep it simple, most people aim for 10 x their body weight when trying to lose weight, and depending on your workout schedule, you can even go to 12 x your body weight. It all depends on your total daily expenditure of calories, factoring in your BMR, activitiy level, age, etc. So let's say you eat around 1400 for three days (log EVERYTHING you put in your mouth for a few weeks so that you'll know where you need to target), then bump it up to say 1700 (+20%) for a day or two, then resume at 1400.

Quote:
I am not hungry at all. The eating every 3 hours and having proteins in every meal has really taken away my cravings so I am really not hungry. I eat because I know I have to eat.
Yes, it's critical to eat every 3 hrs, and they don't have to be huge meals, mini meals are fine. But eat protein with every meal. Btinc has informed me that for every 100 calories of protein we eat, it takes 30 calories to digest it. Protein keeps the engine running because it takes the most energy to metabolize it.

Quote:
Now, what do you mean by timing my carbs. For example, if I exercise at 8am, I would have a protein shake before going just because I have to get the kids ready for school and head out. Then I would have breakfast when I return from exercise. Where would you fit in the carbs? Does it mean you should not have carbs later in the day if you exercise in the morning?
I mention that because most people used to low-carb diets have an instinctive fear of carbs. They're afraid they'll increase cravings or cause them to retain water/weight. So if you eat your carbs around your workouts, you can avoid some of these potential side effects. A protein shake before your workout is fine. After your workout, it's important to try to take in the carbs as soon as you can, within a half hour for sure, and not more than one hour. The sooner the better. Keep this meal higher with the % highest in carbs, then protein, and very low fat. Fat slows the absorption of the carbs, and you don't want that. Save fat for your later meals. For the post-workout ingestion of good carbs, hold the fat.

[COLOR="Olive"]"Immediately after a hard weight training session there is a “window of opportunity” in the muscle cell when insulin sensitivity is very high and the body is most receptive to nutrient uptake.......As soon as you are hungry again, you can eat a small “regular” meal with a 40/30/30 protein/carb/fat profile to “top off the tank” of glycogen stores in the muscle."[/COLOR]

Then for the rest of the day, keep your carbs mainly fibrous (green veggies) carbs, as opposed to fruit or complex carbs. Bottom line: If you're going to eat fruit or complex carbs (which will give you the most energy), eat them near your workouts. Otherwise, eat mainly green veggies as your carb source at other times of the day for the most efficient use of the carbs.

Did that help?

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 08-13-2008 at 06:09 AM..
Old 08-13-2008, 06:06 AM   #802

[COLOR="Sienna"]THURS AUG 14

Early morning observation before I forget:

Today was a Callanetics day. And I noticed as SOON as I began the workout, my quads/hamstrings were very tight. I'm thinking: Why? What have I done in the last day or two to cause this? I really don't know. It's either more delayed muscle soreness from Monday's Callan workout, which, by the way, seemed more intense than usual, and that happens with Callanetics from time to time; or, from my run on Monday night, but I didn't increase my intervals, and I made sure to stretch afterwards, both quads and hamstrings.

Anyway, just noticed that I wasn't as "loose" this morning. Felt a bit sore/stiff, so I did extra stretching. Just noting this for future reference.
[/COLOR]
Old 08-13-2008, 12:32 PM   #803
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Hey T, [COLOR="DarkRed"]is this info from btinc or BFFM or both? [/COLOR]

I keep receiving questions re: my "high protein intake" and I can't remember where I learned this?
I weigh 162 (today, anyway!) and I shoot for a minimum of 125g of protein per day.

Now that I've learned aboout carb cycling (!) what exactly is calorie zig zag? Just alternate high/low as with carbs? Assume high cal day is high carb day and low cal day is low carb day? Or is there more to it than that?

TIA!

Quote:
Make sure you're eating ample protein. It takes the longest to metabolize of all nutrients and will help you to maintain your muscle in the weight loss phase. [COLOR="DarkRed"]Shoot for one gram of protein per pound of body weight[/COLOR], esp if you're exercising to the extent that you are.

Zig-Zag those calories --
FEED YOUR BODY, be patient with the reintroduction of carbs; time the carbs around workouts, drink your water, and eat sufficient protein.
And KEEP MOVING!
Old 08-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #804

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird11 View Post
Hey T, [COLOR="DarkRed"]is this info from btinc or BFFM or both? [/COLOR]

I keep receiving questions re: my "high protein intake" and I can't remember where I learned this?
I weigh 162 (today, anyway!) and I shoot for a minimum of 125g of protein per day.

Now that I've learned aboout carb cycling (!) what exactly is calorie zig zag? Just alternate high/low as with carbs? Assume high cal day is high carb day and low cal day is low carb day? Or is there more to it than that?

TIA!
Not sure what you're referring to....protein? If it's protein, then both. But suffice to say, I'm listening to Btinc because I believe in him, trust him, and he's helped me tremendously. He is who told me about the 100 cals of protein takes 30 cals to digest it.

But Venuto also backs up a higher protein intake when low-carbing by this statement:

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]"Not only does a high protein level fend off muscle loss while you’re on lower carbohydrates, but it can also speed up the fat burning process. Protein has the highest "thermic effect" of any food. That means that protein foods speed up your metabolism because your body has to work harder to digest, process and utilize this nutrient compared
to fat or carbohydrate. The "thermic" effect of protein is one of the reasons that a higher protein diet is more effective for fat loss than a high fat diet or a high carbohydrate diet. Too much of any food type can be stored as body fat, but protein is less likely to be converted to fat than any other nutrient."
[/COLOR]

I discovered shortly after I began my TKD appraoch that I seemed to stay fuller, have more energy and lose better when I upped my protein.

Most everything I've read says 1 to 1.5 gr of protein per pound of body weight.

I wouldn't worry about it. I trust Btinc on this one.

As for zig-zagging cals, it's to keep the body guessing. More than three days on a calorie deficit, your body's metab starts to slow. Yank it up for a day or two, anywhere from 300-500 more than you've been avg'g, then you can resume a deficit.

Today is my ZAG UP ....

The night is young, I haven't eaten dinner, and I'm already at 1800ish. Gonna try to eat protein and fat from here on out.....The hungries attacked me this afternoon. Bottomless pit day. Not sure why. Maybe I wasn't paying enuf attention and should have eaten more fat today.

It was supposed to be a low carb day in my rotation.
Not. I'll try again tomorrow.

TODAY'S TOTALS SO FAR:

CALS 1793

PROT...176 GR...38%
CARBS...142 GR....26%
FIBER....47 GR !!!!!!!!!
FAT......71 GR.....36%

WORKOUTS:

1 Hour Super Callanetics
30 mins UB weight training (back, biceps)
15 mins SS cardio elliptical
3 sets plie squats w/weights
Old 08-13-2008, 06:18 PM   #805
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Yes, protein, thanks for the info!

I too, listen to btinc because I believe in him, trust him, and he's helped me tremendously (and I've seen what he's helped you do, too).

I'm not doubting or worried at all, just wanted to have a better understanding, and to have some "ammunition" for when others question my high protein intake. Thanks again!

And thanks for explaining the calorie zig zagging too. Always wondered about that term! But I think lately I'm doing it the wrong way! I "Zag Up" for a couple of days and then I have to "Zag Down" for a day!

BUT today I weighed 161 - my lowest since starting this LC journey - and I think I'm starting to catch the faintest whiff of 159!!!!!

EXERCISE
M/R = yoga or pilates or callanetics
W/F = UB strength training (no LB)
T/Sat = cardio (elliptical or treadmill)
Sun = outdoor farm chores!!!!!
+ daily back/body stretches
Old 08-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #806

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird11 View Post
BUT today I weighed 161 - my lowest since starting this LC journey - and I think I'm starting to catch the faintest whiff of 159!!!!!

You're so welcome!

Glad you're seeing the downward trend, HB!

I "slid into home" safely tonight....No more hungries, go figure. Ended up at 1850 cals.

So it wasn't a high cal day, just a med carb day.

I worked out pretty hard today, so that carbs shouldn't be a problem.

Tomorrow is a high cardio day, so I may have to keep it med carbs again.

We'll see.

Good night.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:43 PM   #807
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Twyla for your responses. They have been very helpful. I also wanted to ask you what Callanetics video would you recommend I start with. I would like to add this to my exercise routine. Let me know what you think!
Old 08-14-2008, 02:21 AM   #808

Mari,

I began with 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours, but you can either start with that one, or with Callanetics Evolution, as they're very similar, and a lot of people really like the newer Callanetics Evolution, more up to date. (I've done both, and they're both very effective starters.)

Callanetics is deceptively challenging, but it's worth the effort. This type of training will give you increased strength with incredible flexibility and improved posture. So many things I've read lately suggest that it's a good idea to include flexibility training (yoga or Pilates) along with your strength training, and Callanetics will DO THE JOB. In fact, of the people I know who have done both Pilates and Callanetics, they say that Callanetics is more challenging than Pilates. It's one of those workouts that challenges you to fatigue, yet relaxes you when you're finished, all at the same time.

You can order from Amazon. If you decide to start Callanetics, I would do it at least 3 x a week for best results. It takes about 50-60 mins to get through those that I've recommended to you.

Let me know if you have other Q's in this regard.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 08-14-2008 at 02:23 AM..
Old 08-14-2008, 06:34 AM   #809

[COLOR="Sienna"]THURS AUG 14

MORNING OBSERVATIONS

Today was a cardio/abs&such day. I began with AbJam, then glute bridges, then HHA Fat Blasting Cardio w/1#db's. My energy was a little low this morning. I felt a bit tired. I drank a half scoop of muscle milk and 1 oz of banana mid workout, in addition to my pre-workout coffee, f/f cot/chz, blackberries-n-such blizzard. I suspect I'm behind on rest. But after eating breakfast one hour later, I didn't feel completely satisfied, so I think I need a high calorie day today, in addition to some extra Z's. I could feel fatigue in my arms from yesterday's UB workout (reverse flies seemed to do the job),
and those little 1#db's felt heavier than I was expecting this morning.

My woo-hoo moment of the morning was a reflection of some definition I've been working for......glancing in the mirror as I was smoothing my top down over my pants, I noticed some longed-for-yes-that's-what-I-want definition right where the front delt meets the top of the pectoral, that CONTOUR, noticeable from where my neckline was wide and my neck/delts were exposed. Honestly, I looked closer, because at first I thought it was just the light playing tricks on me. I turned sideways, stepped back, looked again, and then smiled. Yeah, Baby! THERE.IT.IS.

So worth it. Every minute is worth it.

Here's to a great day.

[/COLOR]
Old 08-14-2008, 07:10 AM   #810
Junior LCF Member

Twyla:

Just wanted to update you on my TKD/CKD experience so far. First of all, let me tell you how amazed I am about how I feel. I have more energy not only during workouts, but also throughout the day. I was up 4 pounds right after my refeed (which was on Saturday), but today (Thursday), I am down 5 pounds. My energy level at my Monday and Wednesday spinning class was through the roof, and I sweated more than I ever have. And, probably even better than the energy levels, is the fact that I am hardly ever hungry. I used to be constantly hungry all the time, grazing in between meals, and never full after meals. This week, I eat at mealtimes, but I don't get hungry in between, and I AM LOVING IT.

I am planning a refeed again this Saturday, so I hope this one week wasn't a fluke, and the positives will continue each week. The only thing I am worried about is if I put on 4 pounds after each refeed, and then just take it back off during the week without losing any more, then I am just spinning my wheels. Time will tell, I guess.

I do not have my own journal. I usually just lurk around low carb friends, hardly ever posting. However, I have been so excited about this refeed stuff that I wanted to share it with you.

I'll keep ya posted.

Pam
Closed Thread