Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 07:31 PM   #481
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lildragonfly

Last edited by lildragonfly; 04-25-2008 at 07:33 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2008, 06:12 AM   #482
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Too funny, Marsha!

----------------------------------------------------------------

NOTES ON TODAY'S REFEED OBSERVATIONS:

Began the depletion workout drained, thinking how will I do this -- (weights) -- with no energy? Waited about 25 mins after eating carbs before workout, but wasn't until another 25 mins or so into the workout that I began getting some energy. Finished up torqued. Thank goodness for the carbs!

So after the workout, out of curiousity, went back and re-read some notes on the Leptin posts BTINC shared, and it says:

When all is going well most will not notice a drop in performance until right before a refeed you may feel fatigued during your work out. However following the refeed you should feel energized while doing your resistance work. The further you get into keto you will be able to tell by your energy levels when a refeed is needed or you are close to needing one. Everything sounds good and your body is really adjusting to burning fat for fuel. Keep it up

I guess I had forgotten about that. Thankfully, keeping a notebook of "guidelines" is keeping me focused.

Completed: 45 mins circuit weight training, 18 mins ab work.

I am only able to use 15 lb weights with:
- one-arm bent-over rows
- first set of curls, ,
- shrug work
- first set of kickbacks
- a few dumbbell french-press reps, not many

Everything else, I have to use 10 lbs, which is not enough in most of what I do. So I'll need to get to Dick's soon to buy some "plateweights" to stick on the 10's to go up to 12, until I'm strong enough to work consistenlty with 15's.

All in all, good workout.

Bagels and maple syrup for post w/o meal. Gotta love THAT!

Off to a [COLOR="Magenta"]baby shower[/COLOR].

Old 04-26-2008, 05:32 PM   #483

[COLOR="Sienna"]Refeed Day's End[/COLOR]

[COLOR="sienna"]The day ended with far more energy than it began. Very busy day, loads of stuff to do, places to go, baseball game, housework, and not enuf time to do it. Overwhelming at times. (Our team was down 3 to 1 by the 4th inning, and we came back in the 5th, winning the game in the 6th/final inning, 14 to 4!!!!!!!!!!!)

Decided to get in 20 mins of cardio and some isolated ab and gluteal work (10 mins) after dinner, while energy levels were still revved. Trying to eat 2500 today, and I ate just over that...so uh, I think I made it. Carbs WAY up thar! So weird that I really don't feel bloated or stuffed, maybe just a tiny bit in my abs, but not really. Not when you consider what all I've eaten today. That blows me away....

MAC TOTALS:

CALS 2706

FAT........51 GR.....17%
CARBS..503 GR....70%
FIBER.....34 GR
PROT 74 GR.....11%

Junk eaten: 1 chocolate choc/chip muffin, 1 bowl lowfat moosetracks icecream, 2 Weight Watcher cookies

Misc carbs: fruit, bagels, cereal, skim milk, bean burritos, popcorn, pretzels, dried fruit, asparagus

Tomorrow begins LC day, 30 or under, gonna back down to about 1700-1800 cals, but will have one last cheat meal at the end of the day before I begin carb rotations, starting Monday.

Monday will be a high day, 250-300 carbs, and high cals, prob around 2100, low fat.

Fingers remain crossed as I test the waters of new territory.

[/COLOR]

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 04-26-2008 at 05:35 PM..
Old 04-27-2008, 03:23 PM   #484

[COLOR="Sienna"]SUNDAY APR 27
[/COLOR]
[COLOR="sienna"]DAY FOLLOWING REFEED[/COLOR]

[COLOR="sienna"]Began the day with a very light appetite. Imagine that. Had some yocheese & coffee before church. By noon, I was ready to eat.

Took advantage of glyocen levels and did 35 mins of lower body work, 8 mins abs, 20 mins HIIT

Began working on transcripts for court. Felt sleepy. Drank tea. Noticed I was not very hungry.

Since I'm starting a new eating plan of carb rotations tomorrow, I am supposed to have one free meal tonight. I haven't had that "free" meal yet. I'm not hungry, and can't decide what to have anyway. But maybe later I'll get the munchies and I'll have something fun. That happens at night sometimes, wanting to snack. Otherwise, very satiated ALL DAY.

TODAYS MACS

CALS 1332

FAT...............88 GR......59%
CARBS......... 45 GR......11%
FIBER ........................13 GR (32 NET CARBS)
PROTEIN......100 GR..... 30%

I've eaten about 1400 cals less today than yesterday.
Daggone!

My projected high day for tomorrow is not gonna be exact, but close. I'm to have 2100-2500 cals. I'm a little short on cals, but the macronutrients are pretty much on target and at their limits, so I'm gonna go with what I have planned:
[/COLOR]

TOTAL CALS: 1984 PROT 134 - 26 %, CARBS 308 - 57%, FAT 30 - 13%

PRE WORKOUT MEAL 182 CALS 3 GR FAT 28 GR CARBS 13 GR PROTEIN

˝ C SKIM MILK
1 C CHEERIOS
1 T PROTEIN POWDER

POST WORKOUT MEAL 138 CALS 2 GR FAT, 16 CARBS, 17 PROTEIN

˝ SCOOP PP
˝ CUP CHEERIOS
1/3 C SKIM MILK

BREAKFAST (MEAL 2) 403 CALS 2 GR FAT, 80 CARBS, 20 PROTEIN

1 WHEAT BAGEL
1 MED BANANA
2 SL TURKEY BREAST

MORNING SNACK 140 CALS 1 GR FAT, 16 CARBS, 13 PROTEIN

CARB MASTER YOGURT
CARAMEL MINI RICE CAKES

LUNCH (MEAL 3) 577 CALS 9 GR FAT, 105 CARBS, 26 PROT

QUAKER WEIGHT CONTROL OATMEAL
W/ 1 TBS PP
1 BAGEL
˝ T NATURAL PB
1 MED BANANA

AFTERNOON SNACK 60 CALS 0 FAT, 13 CARBS, 1 PROT
CARAMEL MINI RICE CAKES

DINNER (MEAL 5) 405 CALS 11 FAT, 47 CARBS, 32 PROT

TURKEY BURGER
4 OZ BROCCOLI
CARAMEL RICE CAKES
1 CUP CHEERIOS
˝ CUP SKIM MILK

NIGHTTIME SNACK IF NEEDED (YEAH, RIGHT!)

CARB MASTER YOGURT 80 CALS 1 GR FAT, 3 CARBS, 12 PROT

This will be followed by two medium days, a high/med day, two more medium days, and then a low day.

Friday ends up being a medium day, and it's supposedly Day One of T.O.M. It will be interesting to see how my cravings kick in (or not) during this whole week of cycling.

We shall see. Anxious to see what these changes have in store for me.

I am working it 100%.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:24 PM   #485
Major LCF Poster!

Old 04-27-2008, 06:10 PM   #486
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
Hi Twyla!

What kind of changes do you hope to see? I'm just curious because from your photo, you seem to be at an ideal weight with excellent muscle tone.

I know one's own body perspective is uniquely personal, but IMO, I just can't imagine how much more you need to change!

What kind of change are you seeking?

XO,
HB
Old 04-28-2008, 02:24 AM   #487

Hey, HB. Thanks for that encouragement.

Just working on repairing a sluggish metab, trying to lose a few lbs, and most importantly lean out.

There's a method to all this madness!
Old 04-28-2008, 02:27 AM   #488

[COLOR="Sienna"]Update: One bowl of Moose Tracks icecream ended up being my free meal last night.

Okay. Here goes.
[/COLOR]
Old 04-28-2008, 11:04 AM   #489
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: deacons98
WOE: healthy eating
Hi Twyla!

Just checkin in to say hi!

Looks like you are doing really well! Seems like you have gained confidence with the refeeds, and are excited about the rotating this week! I really admire your ability to "experiment." I guess our bodies are our own labs!

I am still working on raising calories and was still losing weight steadily, though I seemed to have hit a mini-stall. My first instinct was to lower cals a bit, but that didn't work - so looking back over the last couple weeks, I realized I stalled when my cals started creeping down a bit. Sssoooo I am now upping them again and see where that takes me. Keeping macros the same for now. Decided not to change too many things at once!!

Best of luck this week on the rotation!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #490

Hey, D.

Glad to know that the uptake in cals has been working to your advantage. And I know what you mean about "first instincts." I've been there too, and it's the natural thing to do. Counterproductive usually though.

I'm going nuts today. This is a high day on the rotation, LOTS of carbs, high cals, but very low fat.

And -- unfortunately -- it's either a), because TOM is days away and this is the onset of the "hungriest day of the month," or, b) it's a very low fat day. Not sure which. Point is:

[COLOR="Red"]I'M STARVING TO DEATH TODAY. I COULD EAT WALLPAPER.

Please let this feeling pass. [/COLOR]
Old 04-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #491
Major LCF Poster!

Old 04-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #492
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jjcanada
Stats: 150/141/130 5'9
WOE: healthy choices
Start Date: every morning...
Twyla! You go girl!

I LOVE, love, love reading your journal!!!

I admire your dedication SO much. And I numbers and analyzing and all that jazz so it is great to read up on what you've been up too and following your detailed progress!!

Glad to hear about another sucessful refeed and your new endeavour.

I hear you about the Low-Fat. On refeeds when I kept strict LF I could eat over 4000 calories no problem and still eat more!!!!
Old 04-28-2008, 04:08 PM   #493
Major LCF Poster!

Not sure why my pic not show... But it was homer eating a big doughnut!
Old 04-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #494

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcanada View Post

I hear you about the Low-Fat. On refeeds when I kept strict LF I could eat over 4000 calories no problem and still eat more!!!!
:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

:blush:

Do I really have to admit that I've eaten that many calories today, not to mention the fact that my mac limits were totally off the charts?

Wow....JJ & Marsha....How I needed both your support AND humor.....Me and Homer, we seem to have our issues.

Scratch this carb rotation. I need ketosis. Long-term treatment.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #495
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: deacons98
WOE: healthy eating
aaawww Twyla, I am sorry you were sssoooo hungry today!! Between TOM, the low cals yesterday and the low fat - perfect storm for hunger maybe! Who knows, but sometimes there are days like that!
Old 04-29-2008, 05:06 AM   #496
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovenuts
Stats: lean and strong
WOE: low carb healty no sugar ever
Start Date: march 18 2008
Just a little note to tell you that a week before TOM will visit I am totally famish too, been like that forever, maybe because of it and the increase of carbs it is worst for you this time. I have been reading you faithfully, and learning so much from your experiments. Thank's again Twila.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:45 AM   #497

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovenuts View Post
Just a little note to tell you that a week before TOM will visit I am totally famish too, been like that forever, maybe because of it and the increase of carbs it is worst for you this time. I have been reading you faithfully, and learning so much from your experiments. Thank's again Twila.

Gigi, you're so right. It was suicide thinking that I was bigger than my hormonal monster. I can fight it, but not without strategic fuel, i.e., lower carbs, higher fat. Adding carbs, esp higher carbs and lower fat, at this time was setting myself up for a major crash-and-burn.

I'm not as invincible as I thought. This lesson should be branded in my brain for future planning.

"Endomorph: It's the endomorph that needs to pay the most attention to nutrient ratios.
Endomorphs are often insulin resistant and carbohydrate sensitive, so the high
carbohydrate approach is usually out of the question. A better starting point for an
endomorph might be around 50% carbohydrates. Then based on results, they may need
further reductions to about 40-45% carbohydrates. In extreme cases, a diet with 25-35%
of calories from carbohydrates may work best, although only for short periods of time.."
-- [COLOR="DarkOrange"].....hmmmm, such as hormonal times of the month...??????[/COLOR]

But I've dusted myself off this morning, ready to reclaim what I had accomplished before the hit.

Here's to a good day.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 04-29-2008 at 05:50 AM..
Old 04-29-2008, 05:55 AM   #498

Observations

Driving to work this morning, I was reflecting on my past progress. I thought about my control level when doing my refeed days. It was definitely a controlled refeed. My blood sugar was never out of control. It was a planned thing. They were actually beneficial. I actually felt energized hours into the refeed. Burning. Somehow I knew.

In contrast, what happened to me late afternoon yesterday -- the out of control feast -- cannot be compared to a planned refeed. My blood sugar was off the charts, my hunger and cravings totally consuming me, and without thought to either what I should eat or wanted to eat, I just began eating with abandon. Trying to conquer the hunger/cravings. And the result, a crash-and-burn energy level, bloating, discomfort, headache, defeat.

Huge distinction to be made.

Refeeds are not binges. They are a strategic method for altering our metabolisms.

Binges are a totally different ballgame.

I need to keep this in mind.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:10 AM   #499

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Gigi, you're so right. It was suicide thinking that I was bigger than my hormonal monster. I can fight it, but not without strategic fuel, i.e., lower carbs, higher fat. Adding carbs, esp higher carbs and lower fat, at this time was setting myself up for a major crash-and-burn.

I'm not as invincible as I thought. This lesson should be branded in my brain for future planning.

"Endomorph: It's the endomorph that needs to pay the most attention to nutrient ratios.
Endomorphs are often insulin resistant and carbohydrate sensitive, so the high
carbohydrate approach is usually out of the question. A better starting point for an
endomorph might be around 50% carbohydrates. Then based on results, they may need
further reductions to about 40-45% carbohydrates. In extreme cases, a diet with 25-35%
of calories from carbohydrates may work best, although only for short periods of time.."
-- [COLOR="DarkOrange"].....hmmmm, such as hormonal times of the month...??????[/COLOR]

But I've dusted myself off this morning, ready to reclaim what I had accomplished before the hit.

Here's to a good day.

Twyla I am the same way during TOM but I have come to accept the fact it's going to happen. I try to be prepared and eat every 3 hours so I keep a full satiated feeling and have tons of lc food and snacks handy. I figure that a lc pigout beats a carb laded junkfood one every time. Then like Scarlett said "Tomorrow is another day!"
Old 04-29-2008, 12:29 PM   #500

I know, Lisa. So true. So many of us have to raise our fat/protein/cals during this time to quench our appetites, but adding the carbs into that mix spells disaster obviously.

[COLOR="Sienna"]Thank goodness I have regained control today. Day and night difference from yesterday.

One thing about having extra carbs to fuel my workout yesterday morning, as I mentioned, it really did help -- it was a noticeably different energy level. I did Turbo Jam yesterday morning with weighted gloves. Anyone who does TJ knows it's not for sissies, and it will kick your butt w/o the gloves, much less with them. Many times I've had to grab the water bottle in between sessions, catching my breath, and those punches would get a little wimpy at times, trying to catch my breath and hang on to energy levels. Not Monday. I was kicking, punching and slamming all the way through with high intensity, even at the end of the workout.

I attribute this to the extra carbs. (The refeed was Saturday. Sunday was a rather low cal day for me.) But after about 25 mins of eating the carbs Monday morning, the surge seemed to hit. So that was a good thing. The silver lining to my high carb disaster.

Carbs can be a good thing if consumed at the right time and in the right amounts, balanced with other physiological considerations -- all things considered.
[/COLOR]
Old 04-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #501

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
I know, Lisa. So true. So many of us have to raise our fat/protein/cals during this time to quench our appetites, but adding the carbs into that mix spells disaster obviously.

[COLOR="Sienna"]Thank goodness I have regained control today. Day and night difference from yesterday.

One thing about having extra carbs to fuel my workout yesterday morning, as I mentioned, it really did help -- it was a noticeably different energy level. I did Turbo Jam yesterday morning with weighted gloves. Anyone who does TJ knows it's not for sissies, and it will kick your butt w/o the gloves, much less with them. Many times I've had to grab the water bottle in between sessions, catching my breath, and those punches would get a little wimpy at times, trying to catch my breath and hang on to energy levels. Not Monday. I was kicking, punching and slamming all the way through with high intensity, even at the end of the workout.

I attribute this to the extra carbs. (The refeed was Saturday. Sunday was a rather low cal day for me.) But after about 25 mins of eating the carbs Monday morning, the surge seemed to hit. So that was a good thing. The silver lining to my high carb disaster.

Carbs can be a good thing if consumed at the right time and in the right amounts, balanced with other physiological considerations -- all things considered.
[/COLOR]

I agree totally on this. I had my refeed Sat-Sun and Monday after work exercised and had more zip and was able to complete the whole routine. Man you are one lean mean fighting machine!
Old 04-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #502

[COLOR="Sienna"]TUESDAY APR 29 08

Back in control today. Energy levels have been better. I think I just need to catch up on sleep a bit. Took a 2-hour nap after the carb fest last night (carb-induced, no doubt), and took a 40 min nap this evening. I don't nap a lot, so when I do, it means my body is craving rest.

Hunger levels far more manageable today. Thoroughly enjoyed spaghetti squash with dinner. Felt great to eat healthy again.

TOTALS

CALS 1696

FAT.............103 GR.....54%
CARBS..........51 GR.....10%
FIBER...........16 GR
PROTEIN......139 GR.....32%

WORKOUTS: 1 Hour Super Callanetics early a.m., 20 mins HIIT later evening
[/COLOR]
Old 04-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #503
HB = Healthy & Balanced

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Wow, Twyla.
So much good information & inspiration here in your Journal. Thank you for sharing your trials & tribulations with us!
And thank you for the info re: HIIT, etc. I've been sharing all that I learned from you!
And this evening, I'm going to do my first HIIT Elliptical session, check-out this article:[/COLOR]

An Interval Training Workout That Works Very Well
Get Rid of Stubborn Body Fat With Interval Training

I have used several variations of this workout for 6 years and it keeps me at 6 to 8 percent body fat year round.

1) Hop on a treadmill, exercise bike, or elliptical machine

2) Walk or ride at a Steady State Cardio Pace for 1.5 minutes

3) Jog or peddle fast for 30 seconds (set the resistance higher)

4) Go back to the same Steady State Cardio Pace for 1.5 minutes

5) Jog or peddle fast for 30 seconds (higher speed/resistance than the first time)

6) Repeat this for 20-30 minutes

Note: Start off the 30 seconds sprints at a moderate pace and go a bit faster for each of the remaining sprints. The last 30 second sprint should be your toughest. It is a good sign if you are short of breath, your skin is hot, and you are sweating. This is what will cause an increase of HGH in your body. Some people call this the "HGH flush"...this is what you are aiming for. Interval Training is tough, but you will love the results!

EXERCISE
M/R = yoga or pilates or callanetics
W/F = UB strength training (no LB)
T/Sat = cardio (elliptical or treadmill)
Sun = outdoor farm chores!!!!!
+ daily back/body stretches
Old 04-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #504

Great, HB.... Love this!

I prefer the elliptical over the treadmill, because it gets my heart rate up faster, for one thing; and secondly, it's kinder to the knees.

I've been doing a modified version of HIIT, similar to what this says, but with a tigher ratio on the interval/recovery. This suggests 1:3 ratio, and I've been doing 1:2, and only for about 8-9 intervals. The rest of the 20 mins is spent warming up and cooling down, for a total of 20 mins HIIT.

I may try this ratio to see how many more intervals I can fit into the segment. Towards the end, I'm slammed, almost a bit nauseous at times, but I like it because it's over in 20 mins, KWIM?

Thanks so much for sharing this.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:20 AM   #505

[COLOR="Sienna"]MIDDAY OBSERVATIONS:

In control. Hunger not an issue. Feeling balanced.
Ate 1/2 serving of oatmeal before the a.m. workout, and it pulled me through with added energy. Cool.

Thought about eating the whole serving, but thought I'd try half this time, evaluate, and eat the entire serving the next time if needed.

As of 1:15 p.m., 846 cals, 39 gr fat (42%), 37 carbs (15%), 7 fiber, 86 protein (41%).

Afternoon snack will be small protein shake and Carb Master yogurt.
[/COLOR]
Old 04-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #506
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Quote:
Great, HB.... Love this!

I prefer the elliptical over the treadmill, because it gets my heart rate up faster, for one thing; and secondly, it's kinder to the knees.

I've been doing a modified version of HIIT, similar to what this says, but with a tigher ratio on the interval/recovery. This suggests 1:3 ratio, and I've been doing 1:2, and only for about 8-9 intervals. The rest of the 20 mins is spent warming up and cooling down, for a total of 20 mins HIIT.

I may try this ratio to see how many more intervals I can fit into the segment. Towards the end, I'm slammed, almost a bit nauseous at times, but I like it because it's over in 20 mins, KWIM?

Thanks so much for sharing this.
Sure thing Twyla, I am totally into receiving/researching/sharing useful info - that's why I'm here at LCF!
Oh yeah - I prefer the elliptical for the exact same reasons!
I was a runner and a stepper for years and wrecked my knees.
And yah! IKWYM re: whatever it takes to be over in 20 minutes!

OK, so I'm getting more & more interested in this "carb cycling" idea, esp since I've been having some cravings lately (ugh) and from everything I've read all over the LCF boards, it's supposed to help with that, right?

And I LIKE the idea of keeping my metabolism "humming" - I really don't want to compromise my metabolism by eating lowcarb for too long the way so many seem to do with long-term (and yo-yo) lowcarb; lowfat; lowcal. Not for me. I don't want a crash diet - I want BALANCE and HEALTH and permanent weight loss!

I haven't gotten any more books yet cause I'm not sure which way to go yet.

Any insight you care to share re: BFFM vs. Anabolic Diet vs. BANTA (vs. any other similar WOE in this genre) would be much appreciated!

How long have you been carb cycling?

I see you kind of go back and forth in your thoughts & impressions of "success" and it's been very interesting to read; THANKS for sharing!

And would it be a huge inconvenience to give me a sample weekly menu? Including low-carb and carb-up days. Or just point me in the right direction of where to find (before buying any books) I really miss my morning grapenuts w/ fresh berries AND my whole wheat pizza on Friday nights and so I'm hoping those might be allowed on the up-carb days!

I think I weigh (163) about what you weighed in your "before" photo? - approx how long till you got to where you are now?? Hot!!

Thanks Twyla!!
XO,
HB

PS: 30/30/30 is a Spring Challenge - starts May 1st
~ 30 Days
~ Under 30 Carbs
~ 30 minutes a day - any kind of exercise

Last edited by hummingbird11; 04-30-2008 at 10:55 AM..
Old 04-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #507
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nosugar
Stats: 160/140/115
WOE: low carb non processed
Start Date: 10/27/07
Hi Twyla!
Thanks for responding to my post about my "raw" diet - it was brutal - especially for me as a blood type o! I also workout daily as well as run - your journal is a great inspration to me - your progress is phenomenal! I am saving your journal to read tonight! KUTGW!!
Jane
Old 04-30-2008, 02:29 PM   #508

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird11 View Post
Any insight you care to share re: BFFM vs. Anabolic Diet vs. BANTA (vs. any other similar WOE in this genre) would be much appreciated!
HB, I have the BFFM book, but don't know anything about the others you've mentioned. I learned a lot from BFFM, but I don't agree with all that he endorses. When I began strategizing macros for the first time, it was while experimenting with BFFM, and the mini meals and learning how macros factor into weight loss, balance, burning fat, and fueling energy -- all of that was invaluable.

How long have you been carb cycling?

First began ex'g with it in spring of 2006. Tried both calorie cylcing (adding 200 cals per day, each day, for 4-5 days, then back to normal deficit of 300-500 below maintenance) and carb cycling. Both have helped me break stalls. Tons of info on the internet if you do a google on it. Lots of different approaches. I'd read up on the different strategies and then decide which to try out for yourself, if you go that route.

And would it be a huge inconvenience to give me a sample weekly menu? Including low-carb and carb-up days. Or just point me in the right direction of where to find (before buying any books) I really miss my morning grapenuts w/ fresh berries AND my whole wheat pizza on Friday nights and so I'm hoping those might be allowed on the up-carb days!

I'm not sure that sharing my menus would be all that beneficial to you right now, simply because I'm trying out -- still a rookie -- targeted ketogenic cycling (see the thread under "Other Plans"), and I haven't gotten a solid grip on what is best for me, much less for others. I feel that in order to endorse a WOE, I need to have a solid understanding of it and be able to speak from experience. Maybe I'll get there soon and I can be of more help in that regard.

Basically I am on a low-carb diet during the week, and I do a refeed on the weekends. I keep my carbs at 30 net 4-5 days a week, and under 20 one or two days a week, depending on energy and such, higher fat -- all typical ketogenic -- then have tried a refeed one day on the weekends. This strategy is explained thoroughly in the thread I mentioned. Good reading!

I think I weigh (163) about what you weighed in your "before" photo? - approx how long till you got to where you are now?? Hot!!

Waaaaaaay too long, because I was one of those you mentioned above that:

a) stayed on VLC/induction far too long
b) cut calories again and and again when 20 carbs wasn't getting me anywhere;
c) harbored a fear of carbs in general

I began climbing carb ladder FINALLY, found great success with that. Then stalled. Then flirted with cycling. Then BFFM. Then got sloppy, lost focus, gained some lbs. Then Induction again. Then cycling. Now trying TKD.

Not so glamourous, but a lot of educating along the way, huh?

The knowledge gained from the sharing of info on these boards and the willingness of kind souls to share their wisdom and experience is so incredibly abundant here at LCF. I salute you for making the necessary changes to find the plan that you can live with and feel your best at.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:31 PM   #509

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosugar View Post
Hi Twyla!
Thanks for responding to my post about my "raw" diet - it was brutal - especially for me as a blood type o! I also workout daily as well as run - your journal is a great inspration to me - your progress is phenomenal! I am saving your journal to read tonight! KUTGW!!
Jane
Jane, ....thanks! Glad to be a source of inspiration to you.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:38 PM   #510

[COLOR="Sienna"]DAY'S END SUMMARY

Excellent day for satiety levels, energy. I feel great. If I had the time, I'd be tempted to put in a 1/2 hr 45 mins of weights, but I have to go to a ball game.

Just had a delish dinner...grilled steaks, spinach salad....YUM!

TODAY'S TOTALS

CALS 1564*

FAT.....79 GR...........45%
CARBS........44GR....10%
FIBER......... 10GR
PROTEIN....170GR....44%

* Surprised it's this low and I'm so satisfied.

WORKOUTS: 45 MINS Turbo Jam with weighted gloves in a.m., 5 sets of 20 pushups; 15 mins UB after work

Great energy. Feeling good, esp in lieu of the pending arrival just two days away!

LIFE IS GOOD AGAIN.....NO -- IT'S ALWAYS GOOD, JUST DEPENDS ON WHICH PAIR OF GLASSES WE'RE LOOKING OUT OF.
[/COLOR]
Closed Thread