Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 04:44 AM   #3901
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Hmmmm. Interesting. I've never heard that before.

I notice he comments on rounding of the spine being a precursor for increased low back pain. Ironically, this is the sort of movement that is done in one of the ab exercises in Callanetics, and Callanetics is the one thing that guarantees overall wellbeing, increased flexibility, and lessened back pain (which I used to suffer from pre-Callanetics) for me hands down.

I'd be interested to see what others who are trained in physiology, physical therapy, etc., would have to say about this commentary.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2011, 04:49 AM   #3902

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Same..

For me, crunches K I L L my low back.

I'll Pm KajunDC (He's a Chiro. )
Old 03-27-2011, 04:52 AM   #3903

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
Same..

For me, crunches K I L L my low back.

I'll Pm KajunDC (He's a Chiro. )
Maybe some people are predisposed to this genetically and some aren't. For instance, crunchs hurt your back, and they don't bother me at all.

It's an interesting theory, to say the least.

Gotta run...time for fasted cardio.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 03-27-2011 at 04:54 AM..
Old 03-28-2011, 02:57 AM   #3904

TOTALS FOR SUN MAR 27

(Low day rotations) -- Well...good intentions anyway...

CALS 1785

PROT – 184 42%
CARBS – 98 20%
FIBER – 24
FAT – 39 79%

EXERCISE:
30 MINS FASTED CARDIO A.M.
20 MINS BRISK WALK P.M.

Insert ominous "Jaws" music...TOM rapidly approaching...

Old 03-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #3905
Natural Healthcare Chiropractor

Gallery: KajunDC
Stats: Lost 115lbs 2004. Maintaining ever since.
WOE: Lower Carb Mediterranean-Style Organic Diet
Start Date: Low Carb-Mar04, BFFM-Jul05, P90-X-Dec24,08
Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
Originally Posted by Chris
let's repeatedly flex the torso and shorten the abdominals so that they can eventually adapt to their newly acquired shortened length. Then, this will pull down on the ribcage toward the pubis since the abs attach to ribs (costal cartilage) 5-6-7 and originate on the pubic bone.

Net result = increased likelihood of thoracic kyphosis! Yay!

Other possible results = potential for scapular misalignment due to the poor thoracic positioning, poor thoracic mobility in general, increased risk of developing some degree of impingement syndrome in the future, increased kyphosis can also affect cervical alignment and positioning and increase the likelihood of neck pain, etc.

Lastly, repeated lumbar flexion (rounding in the low back) has been shown to be a precursor to low back pain - particularly under load. With that said, unless you have a lumbar flexion deficit for some reason, is this really necessary?

So, if you want to create poor alignment within the body and set yourself up for the potential for future injury - I'd say that this is brilliant programming!
First, 200-2000 crunches a day is overkill. Ab work is great but only needs to be done 2-3 times a week-tops. You don't work other muscles everyday, so why would you work your abs everyday?

Second, ab work needs to be balanced out with the rest of the core muscles. You want to work abs (including obliques), lower back, hips and shoulders equally as all play a part in core stabilization. What leads to injuries is muscular imbalance. Example-I see guys at the gym who work their pecs 100 times more than the back, I guess because they can see their chest in the mirror.) Over time this causes the shoulders to roll forward due to that muscular imbalance front compared to back. So make sure whatever you do one one side (be it left-right or front-back) you also do equally on the other side.

Now, with all that said the above quote is bunk. The thoracic spine (the area where the ribcage attaches) is always in a kyphotic curve. This is normal. (Kyphosis simply means the curve is towards the back whereas lordosis means the curve goes forward, as in the lower back and neck.) The spine is supposed to have these three curves as they are important for the muscles to have an angle to contract properly.

Due to trauma or repetitive stresses, you can have either an increase or decrease in the normal lordotic curve in the neck and/or lower back (known as hyperlordosis and hypolordosis respectively). With ligament damage in the neck you can even develop a kyphotic curve with whiplash type injuries.

You cannot, however, develop a hyperkyphotic curve in the thoracic spine simply from doing crunches - no matter how many you do. You can either have a hyperkyphotic curve from birth due to a birth defect in the bones of the region, or you can develop one due to things like compression fractures as you age where the front of the bones compress in relation to the back of the bones.

As for abdominal crunches and lower back pain. The first thing to realize is that a proper crunch is to roll your upper body in a C shape just until your shoulders to mid-ribcage come leave the ground. A proper crunch never involves the lower back leaving the ground. To work the lower abs you want to do things like raising your legs 6 inches off the ground while the lower back is pressed into the ground, and you can open and close your legs in a "V" for greater lower ab work.

Even if you do crunches where you are lifting the lower back off the ground, this should still not cause any pain, UNLESS you already have a low back spinal disc problem (either disc degeneration or disc inflammation) or have scar tissue formation around the nerves or arthritic formation in the holes where the nerves exit or in the spinal canal itself. Those types of crunches don't cause low back problems but they will let you know if you already have something going on.

Finally - never forget to stretch. It is stretching that prevents muscles from adapting to a shortened length. Lose that range of motion and you are really setting yourself up for some problems long-term. But there are some very muscular people out there who can do all kinds of advanced yoga positions. It is proper stretching after lifting that prevents scar tissue formation and shortening of the muscles, and makes that (the advanced yoga positions) possible.

So in conclusion -
Work no muscle more than 2-3 times per week (even the abs)
Work all sides of the body equally
Stretch to prevent shortening of the muscles and loss of range of motion.

OBSESSED is simply a word the lazy use to describe DEDICATION.

Follow me on FACEBOOK!

I Will Persist Until I SUCCEED! - Words of Motivation
P90X/INSANITY PROGRESS PICS - 01/28/2011- My FITNESS Journey
Weight Loss Pics from 2004 - My WEIGHT LOSS Journey
Old 03-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #3906
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Hey Twyla!

Great job on your weight-loss last week! Whatever you're doing seems to be working very well for you. KUTGW, hon!

I like to really kill my abs to a few times a week. I just like how my abs feel when I've worked the heck out of them. But I like DOMS in general!

Did you have a nice weekend? Get to do anything fun? I hope so!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:37 AM   #3907

TOTALS FOR MON MAR 28

(med day rotations)

CALS 1915

PROT 191 – 40%
CARBS 125 – 23%
FIBER – 38
FAT 84 – 38

EXERCISE:

A.M. 30 MINS FASTED CARDIO
P.M. 50 MINS QUADS; BACK; DELTS; 30 MINS CARDIO (10/20)
Old 03-29-2011, 02:46 AM   #3908

Quote:
Originally Posted by KajunDC View Post
First, 200-2000 crunches a day is overkill. Ab work is great but only needs to be done 2-3 times a week-tops. You don't work other muscles everyday, so why would you work your abs everyday?

Second, ab work needs to be balanced out with the rest of the core muscles. You want to work abs (including obliques), lower back, hips and shoulders equally as all play a part in core stabilization. What leads to injuries is muscular imbalance. Example-I see guys at the gym who work their pecs 100 times more than the back, I guess because they can see their chest in the mirror.) Over time this causes the shoulders to roll forward due to that muscular imbalance front compared to back. So make sure whatever you do one one side (be it left-right or front-back) you also do equally on the other side.

Now, with all that said the above quote is bunk. The thoracic spine (the area where the ribcage attaches) is always in a kyphotic curve. This is normal. (Kyphosis simply means the curve is towards the back whereas lordosis means the curve goes forward, as in the lower back and neck.) The spine is supposed to have these three curves as they are important for the muscles to have an angle to contract properly.

Due to trauma or repetitive stresses, you can have either an increase or decrease in the normal lordotic curve in the neck and/or lower back (known as hyperlordosis and hypolordosis respectively). With ligament damage in the neck you can even develop a kyphotic curve with whiplash type injuries.

You cannot, however, develop a hyperkyphotic curve in the thoracic spine simply from doing crunches - no matter how many you do. You can either have a hyperkyphotic curve from birth due to a birth defect in the bones of the region, or you can develop one due to things like compression fractures as you age where the front of the bones compress in relation to the back of the bones.

As for abdominal crunches and lower back pain. The first thing to realize is that a proper crunch is to roll your upper body in a C shape just until your shoulders to mid-ribcage come leave the ground. A proper crunch never involves the lower back leaving the ground. To work the lower abs you want to do things like raising your legs 6 inches off the ground while the lower back is pressed into the ground, and you can open and close your legs in a "V" for greater lower ab work.

Even if you do crunches where you are lifting the lower back off the ground, this should still not cause any pain, UNLESS you already have a low back spinal disc problem (either disc degeneration or disc inflammation) or have scar tissue formation around the nerves or arthritic formation in the holes where the nerves exit or in the spinal canal itself. Those types of crunches don't cause low back problems but they will let you know if you already have something going on.

Finally - never forget to stretch. It is stretching that prevents muscles from adapting to a shortened length. Lose that range of motion and you are really setting yourself up for some problems long-term. But there are some very muscular people out there who can do all kinds of advanced yoga positions. It is proper stretching after lifting that prevents scar tissue formation and shortening of the muscles, and makes that (the advanced yoga positions) possible.

So in conclusion -
Work no muscle more than 2-3 times per week (even the abs)
Work all sides of the body equally
Stretch to prevent shortening of the muscles and loss of range of motion.
KajunDC, thank you so much for elaborating with such a thorough answer to our questions. I'm glad to know that the crunch theory is bunk, first of all. I don't work abs every day, but I do work them 3-4 x a week, most of the time. Sometimes twice. Depends. So I'm good to go for that at least.

The preferrable ways of working the abdominal muscles that you have mentioned are all part of my comprehensive ab routine. I never do the same ab exercise, and when I DO work abs, I do at least 3 diff exercises that target abs, including all that you have mentioned. Also, I should add, the C shape formation is utilized in Callanetics ab work, as well as the open/close V.

And stretching is something I incorporate EVERY DAY, and always before cardio and after training.

Again, thank you for bringing these important reminders to our attention and for your willingness to share your knowledge with us.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:54 AM   #3909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Hottie View Post
Hey Twyla!

Great job on your weight-loss last week! Whatever you're doing seems to be working very well for you. KUTGW, hon!

I like to really kill my abs to a few times a week. I just like how my abs feel when I've worked the heck out of them. But I like DOMS in general!

Did you have a nice weekend? Get to do anything fun? I hope so!
Laura, thank you.

As for the abs, I too like to "make 'em hurt," if ya know what I mean. It takes a lot to challenge my abs. That's why I try to switch up my ab routine as often as possible. One of my favorites of late is using a 10# med ball to do wood chop squats. Planks are a part of my routine, but they've never been very challenging for me. Also, I try to mentally keep my abs engaged on and off throughout the day, as I've heard this helps to condition them.

My weekend was ... well, okay I guess.

All three sons were home this past week, because middle son was home on spring break. That was nice. He left to go back on Sunday afternoon. He won't be home for Easter, so I slipped a bag of jelly beans (his favorite) in his front seat of his truck just as he was leaving. He spied them....HUGE GRIN....followed by a HUGE HUG.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #3910
Major LCF Poster!

Awww, how sweet! I can imagine how much that meant to him. You're such a good mama!
Old 03-30-2011, 02:38 AM   #3911

TOTALS FOR TUES MAR 29

(low day rotations)

CALS 1452

PROT 169 – 48%
CARBS 43 – 11%
FIBER 12
FAT 69 – 43%

EXERCISE:
30 MINS FASTED CARDIO A.M.
15 MIN WALK; 30 MINS CALLANETICS - P.M.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:52 PM   #3912

All right -- I've had it with this weather!

It's starting to really p*ss me off.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #3913
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: westiesam
Stats: 165/137/123
WOE: LC/Low Glycemic/Carb Cycling
Start Date: January 2011
Hey Twyla
The weather already has pissed me off! We got 10 inches of snow last Wednesday -- it's going to be April 1st on Friday and it looks like the middle of January -- mother nature is not being nice to us North Dakotans......
Old 03-31-2011, 12:08 PM   #3914

Re Email Addresses

To anyone this may concern, it came to my attention recently that I had not replied to an email that was sent to my work/office email address. The most likely reason for that is due to the incoming email/sender not being on my contacts list, and therefore that incoming email would go straight to my junk filter -- which, by the way, I seldom check. I try to remember to, but rarely do.:blush:

I want to apologize to anyone who may have tried to email me at my work/office email address and it was never responded to. I will try to do a better job at checking my junk mail filter more regularly.

Thought I'd post this here just in case this has happened to anyone else.

Thanks for your understanding.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:15 PM   #3915

Quote:
Originally Posted by westiesam View Post
Hey Twyla
The weather already has pissed me off! We got 10 inches of snow last Wednesday -- it's going to be April 1st on Friday and it looks like the middle of January -- mother nature is not being nice to us North Dakotans......

Oh, mercy, Westie!
I can only imagine how YOU must feel.

My gripes pale in comparison.

I say -- times like these, we just gotta PRETEND like it's spring...

You know, like the old Prince song...

"So tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999..."

Old 04-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #3916
Natural Healthcare Chiropractor

Gallery: KajunDC
Stats: Lost 115lbs 2004. Maintaining ever since.
WOE: Lower Carb Mediterranean-Style Organic Diet
Start Date: Low Carb-Mar04, BFFM-Jul05, P90-X-Dec24,08
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Oh, mercy, Westie!
I can only imagine how YOU must feel.

My gripes pale in comparison.

I say -- times like these, we just gotta PRETEND like it's spring...

You know, like the old Prince song...

"So tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999..."

None of that weather crap here - we've been in the 70's and 80's now for a month. Beautiful!

Makes me wonder how hot this summer is going to be though. We are not usually quite this hot this early.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #3917
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

All right -- I've had it with this weather!

It's starting to really p*ss me off.

I saw this on Facebook the other day and thought it was cute.

Quote:
INSTALLING SPRING...

████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

33% DONE. Install delayed....please wait.

...Installation failed. Please try again.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #3918

Quote:
Originally Posted by KajunDC View Post
None of that weather crap here - we've been in the 70's and 80's now for a month. Beautiful!Makes me wonder how hot this summer is going to be though. We are not usually quite this hot this early.

Beautiful indeed!
(So jealous! I wanna be a kajun!)

Bummer of a way to start a weekend, cold, rainy, gray Friday afternoon. I guess it was just as well that I had a lot of work to keep me busy at the office.

So ... anyhoo... CHEERS to your great weather, KDC, and for a great weekend.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #3919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Hottie View Post
I saw this on Facebook the other day and thought it was cute.
Laura,

That IS cute!

Yep...definitely need a reboot, don't we?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #3920
Major LCF Poster!

How was your weekend, Twyla? Is the weather any better up there?

I think spring is here to stay down here in Atlanta. The days are sunny and warm, and everything is blooming. I love this time of year.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #3921

New favorite product:

ON's Chocolate Cake Batter Casein.

It is OH SO GOOD! I make goo with it, brownies, mousse, shakes, and fluff-stuff.

Slow-digesting...great snack before bed.

Highly recommend this flavor.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #3922

What a crazy week it's been.

My schedule was all out of sync this week, different commitments and obligations, and rearranging of things. I usu work out on Mon, Thurs and Sat at the gym, with cardio all other days except one rest day.

This week I had to work it in on Wednesday, today (took the day off), and will go again tomorrow. I got home very late last night from my son's track meet, (oh-so-tired -- those things last FOREVER!) and because I normally allow myself to sleep in a little later on Fridays (which is my usual rest day), I was up and at em this morning to get him to school and get an early start on my day of working out of my home, knowing I had several things to accomplish. So working at home let me avoid the commute to/from, and saved me some extra time, as well as allowing me time to get to the gym this afternoon.

Thursday morning it took more than twice as long on my commute in -- there was a truck fire on the interstate, completely engulfed in flames, and had taken several hours to clear out the mess, so traffic at rush hour was A NIGHTMARE. But the odd thing about it -- the tractor trailer that caught fire? It was hauling CARROTS. I laugh because it just struck me (and everyone else who heard about it) as funny. Kind of a "Richard Scarry" kind of scene, mishap, incident. Fortunately no one was hurt. Burnt carrots. Hmmmm...

This morning after taking my son to school, and before it began raining, I went on a run. I began with 10 mins on the ellipt. then did 20 mins of running. Felt wonderful. My spring morning runs. Can't BEAT EM. So I've gotten my workouts in today, gotten a lot of work done on transcripts, I've begun dinner, and I may just do some chillaxin this evening. Afterall, it IS Friday.

I wanna go somewhere quiet, by myself, pour a glass (or 2) of Ergo, and listen to some jazz. I've earned it. And I can't think of anything else I'd rather do this evening.

Hellllloooooo Friday.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #3923
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: westiesam
Stats: 165/137/123
WOE: LC/Low Glycemic/Carb Cycling
Start Date: January 2011
Quote:
What a crazy week it's been.

My schedule was all out of sync this week, different commitments and obligations, and rearranging of things. I usu work out on Mon, Thurs and Sat at the gym, with cardio all other days except one rest day.

This week I had to work it in on Wednesday, today (took the day off), and will go again tomorrow. I got home very late last night from my son's track meet, (oh-so-tired -- those things last FOREVER!) and because I normally allow myself to sleep in a little later on Fridays (which is my usual rest day), I was up and at em this morning to get him to school and get an early start on my day of working out of my home, knowing I had several things to accomplish. So working at home let me avoid the commute to/from, and saved me some extra time, as well as allowing me time to get to the gym this afternoon.

Thursday morning it took more than twice as long on my commute in -- there was a truck fire on the interstate, completely engulfed in flames, and had taken several hours to clear out the mess, so traffic at rush hour was A NIGHTMARE. But the odd thing about it -- the tractor trailer that caught fire? It was hauling CARROTS. I laugh because it just struck me (and everyone else who heard about it) as funny. Kind of a "Richard Scarry" kind of scene, mishap, incident. Fortunately no one was hurt. Burnt carrots. Hmmmm...

This morning after taking my son to school, and before it began raining, I went on a run. I began with 10 mins on the ellipt. then did 20 mins of running. Felt wonderful. My spring morning runs. Can't BEAT EM. So I've gotten my workouts in today, gotten a lot of work done on transcripts, I've begun dinner, and I may just do some chillaxin this evening. Afterall, it IS Friday.

I wanna go somewhere quiet, by myself, pour a glass (or 2) of Ergo, and listen to some jazz. I've earned it. And I can't think of anything else I'd rather do this evening.

Hellllloooooo Friday.

I'd say you deserve it too -- I hope you enjoyed your Ergo -- we went out for DH's birthday dinner last night -- went to a seafood restaurant and enjoyed some lobster and scallops -- wonderful evening....

enjoy the rest of your weekend
Old 04-11-2011, 01:47 AM   #3924

Thank you, Sharon.

It's very early morning. I can't sleep. I've been up since a few minutes before 3 a.m. I have no idea why I can't sleep. Likely some kind of hormonal fluks. What else could it be? Not sure.

Anyway, I decided to get up and do a little proofreading to help me fall back asleep. Sometimes when I have insomnia like this, I lie in bed and my mind begins to wander, and often it will lead to unsettling thoughts, which makes it even more difficult to sleep.

I was lying there thinking about my mom, missing her, reliving the last few months I had with her. I began to second guess what I did, what I should have done, could have done -- differently --that might have made my memories of the end of her life easier, better, more comforting, more meaningful. When I think back to the times I spent with her one on one, watching her sleep, caring for her, talking with her, it leaves me feeling so empty.

During that time, a friend shared this with me:
I know that your "MO" is to do and take action.
I just don't want you missing the silence, the quietly sitting together in acceptance. Unspoken Love.
I don't want you to miss that.
It's that message and reminder that assures me that during those quiet times that seemed to go on and on, the times when I felt helpless, wanting to do more, something, anything, it was the unspoken love that was felt between the both of us that sustained and carried me (us) through that time.

I've been told and I've read that when we lose someone, it never really gets easier. I find that to be true.

Lying in bed at night, restless, not being able to sleep, seems to exaggerate the emptiness. The quiet is deafening.

I'm stronger and more capable to deal with these emotions when I refocus, find a distraction.

So. I'm up. I'm awake. I'm being productive right now. I'll be starting my morning fasted cardio in less than an hour.

I'll get back to proofing for a while longer.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #3925

Last week having been off-schedule, my plan for the week was to return to my normal routine:

-M, Th, and Sat for training at the gym, followed by 20-25 mins cardio
-2 Callanetics sessions
-30 mins fasted a.m. cardio M, T, W, & Th

My rotations coinciding with training days.

But since I was up before 3 a.m. Monday morning, I was not worth a DARN when I finally made it home after work yesterday. I was strugggling with everything I had in me to stay awake in court for our last hearing yesterday afternoon. I was actually reluctant to drive home, considering how tired I was. I was gonna be hitting traffic at the worst time of the day. Not safe when you're not alert. I grabbed a travel mug of green tea and had that with a Detour bar to keep me awake till I got home. Having succumbed to overkill fatigue, it became painfully obvious that I would not be able to train at the gym after work. Even though I ate a bit higher carbs yesterday (94), which was intended for a training day, I decided to do only a 20-min power walk last night after dinner.

When I got home from work, I CRASHED and slept for an hour. Woke up, had a bit to eat, then took my power walk. It was then I decided I may try to train instead this morning (Tuesday) before work. If I was a few mins late for work, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I always beat my judge to work anyway.

After a big mug of coffee and a scoop of BCAA's, I warmed up for 15 mins at home on the ellip this morning, instead of at the gym, because they don't open til 6. I then trained for 35 mins, and followed up with 10 mins of cardio on the treadmill instead of my usu 20-25.

It was fabulous being at the gym at that hour. First one there. A friend of mine was there running the place; he has a sweet deal worked out with the owners to work early morning shifts for a free membership. His coffee smelled so good. We talked briefly about our mutual java addiction.

It was still, serenely quiet driving there, and having the place to myself was bliss. I warmed up, progressing into pyramids for shoulder work exercises, 4 sets of incline BB tricep extensions, and then squats and walking lunges. Having the place to myself made it easy to do my walking lunges. There are some days I have to forego them due to the crowds. I finished my training with woodchop/squats w/med ball. Felt FABULOUS. How I miss training in the mornings. Maybe I can try to do that one day a week, and just count on being a little late for work. Maybe a day that we don't have a docket. Getting it done in the mornings frees up my evenings and allows me to start the day fresh and energized and accountable.

So rather than a low day today in rotations, it will be a low-med day, around 75. I'll keep fat under 75 today. Protein high...always high.

Thank goodness I had a restful night last night to catch up on much-needed rest.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #3926
Administrator

Gallery: Kathy
This thread is closed due to its size .... which impacts site performance.

Please continue the discussion here.
Closed Thread