Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 02:49 AM   #3871
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Well, you guys ... I DID IT. I survived the storm. I stayed the course and didn't give in to my insatiable, overwhelming M&M cravings. The sea is far calmer today. Thank you for your words of support.

Women deserve a badge of honor, what we have to go through. What a test of strength and willpower. We aren't always able to ride out the storm...we find ourselves capsizing far too often. But just the fact that we're faced with this each month and that we have to dig in our heels, endure it, fight it...ugh!

Just glad it's over.

I actually ended up having a fabulous kickass workout at the gym last night, a much-needed shot in the arm to my endorphins and mental fortitude.

I'm ready. Bring on a new day.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2011, 06:15 AM   #3872

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins Inductions for 14 Days
Start Date: 6/10/2014
Hey T - I'm glad you survived! I knew you would!

Quote:
I'm ready. Bring on a new day.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #3873
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tempted_by_food
Stats: 233/164/140
WOE: HHCG Rogue Style....
Start Date: restart: 7/13/2009
Popping in to send some your way!! Yay for winning the battle against the m&m's
Old 03-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #3874
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tempted_by_food
Stats: 233/164/140
WOE: HHCG Rogue Style....
Start Date: restart: 7/13/2009
Hey T hope your having a nice day!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #3875

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted_by_food View Post
Hey T hope your having a nice day!!!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #3876
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bronwyn
Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my blog. It means a lot to me!
Old 03-21-2011, 04:33 AM   #3877

TOTALS FOR SUNDAY MAR 20

(Low day in rotations)

CALS 1477
MACROS:
145 PROT – 40%
46 CARBS – 11%
20 FIBER
82 FAT – 50%
EXERCISE: 52 MINS CARDIO
Old 03-21-2011, 05:18 AM   #3878

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firm Hottie View Post
My eyes! My eyes!

Oh wait, I'm safe - those aren't peanut m&ms.

Hang tough, hon - you know that you can do this!
LOL

I LOVE pnut m&M's!!

Quote:
Last night wasn't quite as bad, but my body would NOT shut down. So I gave my tried-and-true solution a shot: 1/2 cup of Cheerios w/ about 1/3 c of skim milk. Back to bed, and within ten minutes I was asleep. I want someone to explain to me why THAT combination of foods is my cure button for insomnia.
it produces serritoin, glucose for the brain (happy!) and then sleep. Sometimes when too low carb, peeps get insommia.

Re TOM, maybe make that your higher carb days so it fits better with those cravings.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #3879

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
LOL

I LOVE pnut m&M's!!

it produces serritoin, glucose for the brain (happy!) and then sleep. Sometimes when too low carb, peeps get insommia.

Re TOM, maybe make that your higher carb days so it fits better with those cravings.
Ileen, shhhhh...that "M" word....it's taboo.

I've mentioned this before, but I have a dream that when I get to heaven, there will be giant, oversized bowls of M&M's that I will be able to dive into and eat to my heart's content.

As for that Cheerio thing....hmmm....that makes sense, now that I think about it. And to think, I don't even need a scrip for Cheerios. My nice, clean, wholesome, go-to fix for insomnia. (The milk probably helps a little too)
Old 03-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #3880
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Firm Hottie
Stats: Too big/-15/Just right
WOE: Lower carb & weight training
Okay, so that makes three of us that abosultely peanut m&ms. How do y'all eat them? I like to crack them in half, eat the peanut, then eat the shell. It's like getting two treats in one!

Twyla, I like Ileen's advice about gearing your carb up days around your cycle. Makes a lot of sense, but she always makes a lot of sense!

What kind of cardio did you do on Sunday? I have done nothing other than my beloved Turbo Jam workouts - nothing else even sounds good to me anymore. :blush:

I hope you have a great week, hon!
Old 03-21-2011, 01:43 PM   #3881

Quote:
Okay, so that makes three of us that abosultely peanut m&ms. How do y'all eat them? I like to crack them in half, eat the peanut, then eat the shell. It's like getting two treats in one!

Twyla, I like Ileen's advice about gearing your carb up days around your cycle. Makes a lot of sense, but she always makes a lot of sense!

What kind of cardio did you do on Sunday? I have done nothing other than my beloved Turbo Jam workouts - nothing else even sounds good to me anymore. :blush:
Yes, Laura, I meant to say that that's what I normally do anyway, to the extent that I can. The thing is, I have a "high" or carb up day every Saturday, routinely (200-225 ish), and lately I've not been able to predict with accuracy exactly when the wrath of the evil hormones will descend, divide and conquer. So although it's a great theory, I don't always manage to implement it that well, and usu end up with several "high" days in a row.

As for the cardio on Sunday, I began the day with 30 mins of fasted LISS on the elliptical. And then later that afternoon did 22 mins of TJ Cardio Party.

I try mixing up my cardio thorughout my weeks with elliptical, Cardio Party, power walking, running intervals (HIIT), treadmill at the gym (post training), and HipHopAbs Cardio.

I agree, though, the Cardio Party workout is a lot of fun, and it's very intensive total body cardio, which makes it even better.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:06 AM   #3882

TOTALS FOR MONDAY MAR 21

(Med day rotations)

CALS 1703

MACROS:
188 PROT – 44%
140 CARBS – 27%
30 FIBER
46 FAT – 24%

EXERCISE:
35 MINS SUPER CALLAN A.M.; 40 MINS UPPER BODY PM; 42 MINS CARDIO PM (15/27)
Old 03-22-2011, 06:48 AM   #3883
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Twyla!

Yeah, I can see how it'd be difficult to arrange your carb-up days exactly to your cycle if you aren't as regular as clockwork. Ugh, just one of the joys of being a woman.

I've heard of the spark effect with splitting up cardio the way that you do. Do you find that to be the case, or are you just splitting it up because of time issues?

Just curious - how heavy do you tend to go for lower body exercises? I'm thinking that I may be in the same boat you are where the lower body is concerned, and should decrease the amount of weight that I'm using somewhat...

Hope you have a fabulous day, hon!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #3884

Quote:
Hey Twyla!

I've heard of the spark effect with splitting up cardio the way that you do. Do you find that to be the case, or are you just splitting it up because of time issues?

The spark is why I do it.

Just curious - how heavy do you tend to go for lower body exercises? I'm thinking that I may be in the same boat you are where the lower body is concerned, and should decrease the amount of weight that I'm using somewhat...
Laura, I have never gone super heavy, as it typically is defined. I once switched up for a period of time to lifting heavier on all LB exercises (squats,deads,presses,etc.) out of curiosity to see what I was capable of. My plan was to experiment with low volume, 6-8 reps, and increase the weight incrementally. For squats, at 15 reps (not low volume) I was doing like 90 lbs @ 3 sets. It was an attempt to see what my max was, PRs. So for example, since doing 15 reps, 90 lbs was obviously not my max, but my better judgment told me to give it up, that lifting heaver was something I needed to avoid.

To be perfectly honest, my best results--from past experience--have been when I keep the weight low, say 30-40 pounds for BB squats, or 15 # DB's, and do 4 sets of 25; then 4 sets of walking lunges with 8#DBs, sometimes with a 20# BB; weighted glute bridges, then 4 sets of deadlifts, say 50-60#. A constant circuit, very little resting. Just hammer each muscle group. I have learned (more than once) what happens when I try to lift heavy. I'm an endomorph and I've been blessed (or cursed) with the genetic predisposition to gain muscle easily.
(My son is delighted to have those genes of course.) I tried lifting heavy for about 4-6 wks once, and my pant legs on my jeans were SO tight. It became obvious in all my clothes, and I hated it. NO.THANK.YOU.

So I know what works best for me: Callanetics (for flexibility and leaning/lengthening of the muscle) and high volume low weight on most every LB exercise.

In fact, I remember being in awe of a 50-yr-old competitor from a video clip that a good friend sent to me once, and her trainer was putting her through a lower body circuit. I was quick to notice that every exericse was high rep -- 20 or more -- and low weight, but intense, no resting, constant circuit. She was exhausted, but it apparently was doing the job because her body was A-MAY-ZING. I mean, one gorgeous, tight, lean-n-lovely lady. She was muscular, but in a good way. I've watched that video countless times for inspiration.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 03-22-2011 at 11:02 AM..
Old 03-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #3885

News flash:

I have discovered a new YUMMY -- ULTRA YUMMY -- treat that is perfectly legal and good for me.

ON's Chocolate Cake Batter Casein protein powder. Oh.My.Gosh.

Here's what did it for me: I was gonna make a protein cookie to have with green tea a while ago, which usually is 2 Tbs of pp, a little water, stir, nuke for 30s secs. Sometimes I'll add a tsp of coconut oil. Whatever.

So I added the 2 Tbs of CPP, a little hot water (from dispenser) and a tsp of coconut oil, stirred it up, and just before nuking licked the spoon. IT TASTED LIKE BROWNIE BATTER. WHO DOESN'T LIKE BROWNIE BATTER? So then I nuked it for about 18-20 secs, just short of being a cookie, still gooey in the middle. Oh, yeah, baby. THIS IS GOOD STUFF.

I shall forevermore keep Optimum Nutrition Chocolate Cake Batter Casein on my must-have list for future orders.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:34 AM   #3886

TOTALS FOR MONDAY MAR 21

(Low day rotations)

CALS 1482

MACROS:
PROT 172 – 47%
CARBS 45 – 11%
FIBER – 11
FAT 70 – 42%

EXERCISE: 30 MINS FASTED CARDIO A.M.; 250 CRUNCHES
Old 03-23-2011, 03:35 AM   #3887

your 'cookie' sounds yummy. I gave up on using protein powders and only eat whole food.

Laura, re the 'M's (sorry T! ) i also crack in half and eat like you do.

Interesting how we are all so different. Hi reps for lower body actually builds muscle a bit better on me.. Most competitors train hi rep to deplete muscle glycogen..

Im guessing for me, its the slow/fast twitch stuff. I cant lift that heavy any more regardless, since doc re aligned my back and spine and my hips are tilted (rotates anterior and posterior.. ) and oh, the wonderful knees get whiny on DL type stuff. (isnt aging F U N!

Last edited by inatic; 03-23-2011 at 03:36 AM..
Old 03-23-2011, 08:21 AM   #3888
Major LCF Poster!

Hey hon!

Cool to know about the spark effect. I've been doing my cardio right after my weights, but will now separate them to try to get some of that for myself. Lord knows I certainly need it! :blush:

Girl, you are super strong! I wouldn't call what you're lifting light by any stretch of the imagination! I figured that you'd tell me that you're lifting 20# total with that high of reps, not anywhere from 20# all the way up to 60#! Here's another and for good measure!

So, do you do this lower body workout as straight sets with little to no rest in between, or an actual circuit where you do one of each set before moving on to set #2 of each? Or mix it up between the two? Either way, I imagine that that would totally take care of one's lower body! Have you ever tried working with kettle bells? Kettle bell swings would go very well with what you're currently doing. Hmmm....something to ponder doing in the future...

I'm just wondering if I've been barking up the wrong tree all of this time, and really shouldn't be lifting as heavy as I have been for lower body. Maybe, just maybe, I need to decrease the weight and raise the reps. I'm also wondering about all of the high intensity/explosive movement exercise I've been doing, and wonder if that could be a problem too. Do you find that to be a problem, or do you even do that kind of cardio?

In looking back, I seem to have done the best with medium weight/medium reps, aerobic weight training, and steady state cardio. So why am I doing everything totally different just because Expert A and/or B says that that's the best way to train? Just because it works for most people doesn't mean that it's going to work for me!

Sounds like I need to think long and hard at what I've learned from my two weightlifting heroes - yeah, I'm talking about you, Twyla & Ileen!

Oh, and just so we know, how do you like to eat your peanut m&ms, Twyla? Do you eat them the same way Ileen & I do?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #3889

Quote:
your 'cookie' sounds yummy. I gave up on using protein powders and only eat whole food.

>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

Laura, re the 'M's (sorry T! ) i also crack in half and eat like you do.

Yep. Me too. I'm an M&M cracker. I like to DISSECT all my candy
while eating it...makes it last longer, no? Heath Bars are my favorite candy bar, and I nibble all the chocolate off first, then crunch away on the toffee.

Interesting how we are all so different. Hi reps for lower body actually builds muscle a bit better on me.. Most competitors train hi rep to deplete muscle glycogen..

Im guessing for me, its the slow/fast twitch stuff. I cant lift that heavy any more regardless, since doc re aligned my back and spine and my hips are tilted (rotates anterior and posterior.. ) and oh, the wonderful knees get whiny on DL type stuff. (isnt aging F U N!
Aging can be pure HELL. But I'll be d**ned to let it get the upperhand.

Thus, I train and watch my nutrition.

And yes, different strokes for all those different types of folks. It's what makes the world go 'round. There's that little ego voice down deep inside of me that sometimes nudges me to lift heavier, but my rational voice usually wins.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #3890

Quote:
So, do you do this lower body workout as straight sets with little to no rest in between, or an actual circuit where you do one of each set before moving on to set #2 of each? Or mix it up between the two?

I mix up my approach, but for instance, I may do all one exercise, all 4 sets, throwing in 15-20 weighted ab crunches between sets, then go straight to the next exercise, repeat. Maybe on the next exercise I'll do 10 quick lat DB raises , or maybe DB ab twists, between sets. Rests are usu never more than 20-30 seconds.

Have you ever tried working with kettle bells? Kettle bell swings would go very well with what you're currently doing. Hmmm....something to ponder doing in the future...

Yes, I've experimented with kettleb bells, and it was fun and taxing. One of the trainers at our gym did a KB boot camp once ... I liked it a lot. Ileen introduced me to lateral throws, and I find it easier to do that movement with DB's instead of KB's. I use 20# x 4 sets for those, 15 reps.

I'm also wondering about all of the high intensity/explosive movement exercise I've been doing, and wonder if that could be a problem too. Do you find that to be a problem, or do you even do that kind of cardio?

I don't do much explosive per se, because I have a bad outer knee issue. Depends on the exercise. My high intensity cardio is either running intervals or Turbo Jam with weighted gloves.

Oh, and just so we know, how do you like to eat your peanut m&ms, Twyla? Do you eat them the same way Ileen & I do?
Yes, as mentioned in my reply post above. Crack those babies open!

Laura, I've tweaked and re-evaluated many, many times, and it all becomes a learning game, doesn't it?

That's why I'm glad I keep a journal. My roadmap.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:37 AM   #3891

TOTALS FOR TUES MAR 22
(Correction to entry above to read Tues, not Monday)

(Low day rotations)

CALS 1482

MACROS:
PROT 172 – 47%
CARBS 45 – 11%
FIBER – 11
FAT 70 – 42%

EXERCISE: 30 MINS FASTED CARDIO A.M.; 250 CRUNCHES

TOTALS FOR WEDNESDAY MAR 23

(Low day rotations)

CALS 1368

PROT 164 - 49%
CARBS 43 – 11%
FIBER – 10
FAT 60 – 38%

EXERCISE: 30 MINS FASTED CARDIO A.M.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:44 AM   #3892

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post

(July 2010)

Okay...I'm SO SOLD on this new young artist, making her debut at 23 with So You Think You Can Dance...how fortunate for her...!
Love her voice...LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! She has the voice, the style, guts, all of it.

Waiting anxiously for her to make it big.

Yep.

It seems I called this one right.

Her song is now played constantly on the radio...love the song, her voice, her style.

Keep it coming, Christina!

Old 03-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #3893
Major LCF Poster!

Great info - thanks so much for answering all of my questions, Twyla.

It definitely sounds as if your lower body workout is more of a metabolic one. I love those!

As for cardio, the TJs are the least intensive thing that I'm currently doing, but I'm not wearing the weighted gloves. Methinks I need some old school slow & steady cardio instead of all of this high intensity stuff I've been doing.

I figured you for an m&m cracker! That really is the best way to eat them - they just don't taste as good if you eat them all at once.

Christina has a great voice! She kind of reminds me of Sarah Barielles.

Hope you have a great day!

Last edited by Firm Hottie; 03-24-2011 at 08:20 AM..
Old 03-25-2011, 02:53 AM   #3894

TOTALS FOR THURS MAR 24

(Med day rotations)

CALS 1782

PROT 207 – 47%
CARBS 143 – 27%
FIBER – 29
FAT 46 – 23%

EXERCISE: 40 MINS SUPER CALLANETICS A.M.;
................PM: 60 MINS TOTAL BODY TRAINING; 40 MINS CARDIO
Old 03-25-2011, 03:08 AM   #3895

Quote:
Word of the Day:

PASSION

passion - (pash-uhn)
- noun

A strong or extravagant fondness, enthusiasm, or desire for something.

“Passion, it lies in all of us, sleeping... waiting... and though unwanted... unbidden... it will stir... open its jaws and howl.
It speaks to us... guides us... passion rules us all, and we obey.
What other choice do we have?
Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love... the clarity of hatred... and the ecstasy of grief.
It hurts sometimes more than we can bear."
Josh Whedon

“If there is no passion in your life, then have you really lived?
Find your passion, whatever it may be.
Become it, and let it become you
and you will find great things happen
FOR you, TO you and BECAUSE of you.”
T. Alan Armstrong

“Rest in reason; move in passion.”
Khalil Gibran

Indeed, the source of our finest moments.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:50 AM   #3896

T, who all those crunches?
Old 03-26-2011, 04:49 AM   #3897

Quote:
T, who all those crunches?
The crunches? They're the Power90 AbRipper routine, with a few extras thrown in. The P90 AbRipper - ab workout - is 200 crunches, performed with 20 reps for 10 different ab exercises, consecutively, no resting in between. I just threw in 50 more.

I have a quirky tendency to hit the floor for pushups, ab work, donkey kicks, glute raises, etc. (whatever) when I'm waiting around in between tasks. Oftentimes when we take breaks from the courtroom, I'll do 20 dips in the breakroom before heading back.

With a sedentary job, I sit enough as it is. It's just my way of keeping my furnace happy and blood flowing.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:52 AM   #3898

TOTALS FOR FRI MAR 25

(low day rotations)

CALS 1702

PROT 143 – 34%
CARBS 53 – 11%
FIBER – 16
FAT 98 – 51%

EXERCISE: 11 MINS FASTED CARDIO A.M. (ELLIPTICAL)
Old 03-27-2011, 04:31 AM   #3899

TOTALS FOR SAT MAR 26

(high day rotations)

CALS 1976

PROT 195 – 40%
CARBS 196 – 34%
FIBER – 35
FAT 43 – 19%

EXERCISE:
60 MINS TRAINING -- LOWER BODY + TRICEPS + ABS;
40 MINS CARDIO (10/30)

(Weight loss for the week: 3.5 lbs)
Old 03-27-2011, 04:37 AM   #3900

Quote:
The crunches? They're the Power90 AbRipper routine, with a few extras thrown in. The P90 AbRipper - ab workout - is 200 crunches, performed with 20 reps for 10 different ab exercises, consecutively, no resting in between. I just threw in 50 more.

I have a quirky tendency to hit the floor for pushups, ab work, donkey kicks, glute raises, etc. (whatever) when I'm waiting around in between tasks. Oftentimes when we take breaks from the courtroom, I'll do 20 dips in the breakroom before heading back.

With a sedentary job, I sit enough as it is. It's just my way of keeping my furnace happy and blood flowing.
gotcha. Was an interesting post on another forum from someone who specializes in physical therapy to someone that posted about someone doing about 200 crunches a day.. then another posted about 2000 a day .. so im not sure to which post he was responding to/from but this is what he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
let's repeatedly flex the torso and shorten the abdominals so that they can eventually adapt to their newly acquired shortened length. Then, this will pull down on the ribcage toward the pubis since the abs attach to ribs (costal cartilage) 5-6-7 and originate on the pubic bone.

Net result = increased likelihood of thoracic kyphosis! Yay!

Other possible results = potential for scapular misalignment due to the poor thoracic positioning, poor thoracic mobility in general, increased risk of developing some degree of impingement syndrome in the future, increased kyphosis can also affect cervical alignment and positioning and increase the likelihood of neck pain, etc.

Lastly, repeated lumbar flexion (rounding in the low back) has been shown to be a precursor to low back pain - particularly under load. With that said, unless you have a lumbar flexion deficit for some reason, is this really necessary?

So, if you want to create poor alignment within the body and set yourself up for the potential for future injury - I'd say that this is brilliant programming!
Closed Thread