hugs037.gif

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2010, 06:53 AM   #3452
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lisa46
Stats: 164/117/128 -- 5'4"
WOE: LC with balance
Start Date: Recommitted 4-18-06
T? Is that a Bird I see in here? For realz?

HB is back??? I cannot believe my eyes!
Old 08-24-2010, 03:09 PM   #3453
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post

THAT is sooo sweet.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #3454

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted_by_food View Post
Hi T...Howd the shopping go, get anything nice?
Yes, I did, but now I gotta decide between the two dresses... I need a personal fashion consultant....

Deborah? Where are you????? Gotta go hunt her down.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #3455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa46 View Post

Yeah, but, uh, have you ever tried to CATCH a hummingbird?

Good luck.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #3456
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa46 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Yeah, but, uh, have you ever tried to CATCH a hummingbird?

Good luck.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:40 AM   #3457

So glad you're back, sweet one.
And hoping it's to stay.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:07 AM   #3458
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tempted_by_food
Stats: 233/164/140
WOE: HHCG Rogue Style....
Start Date: restart: 7/13/2009
I bet both look great on you, is the dress for the wedding you mentioned?
Old 08-25-2010, 03:42 AM   #3459
HB = Healthy & Balanced

awww THANKS & YES! :)

Quote:

So glad you're back, sweet one.
And hoping it's to stay.
I'll be offline Sept 1-15 -- but then I am back for good!

PS: (thought of you when I read this)

A son will hold your hand for a little while; but he will hold your heart for a lifetime.

It's "Son's Week" ~
if you have a Son that makes your life worth living by just being around him;
whether it is near or far…give him a real or virtual HUG!

Last edited by hummingbird11; 08-25-2010 at 03:43 AM..
Old 08-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #3460

HB, I did not know it was son's week. As a mom, I am charged with knowing this stuff. My bad.

Thank you for that saying... I love that. I love it so much.

My heart is full right now.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:34 AM   #3461

I'm going out this morning for interval runs. I've had some coffee, and I briefly stepped outside to test the air. The moonlight and stillness beckoned me...can't wait.

There were beautiful storm-like clouds veiling the moon last night as I was driving home. I wanted to just pull over to the side of the road and sit and stare. Took my breath away.

It still looks that way. It will be like having my own personal canvas in front of me as I run. And breathe. And purge. And recharge for a new day.

My coffee is almost gone. Off I go.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:18 AM   #3462
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunny Beach
Stats: 183/166.5/143
WOE: Low-carb + IF
Start Date: August 2010
Hi Twyla
Hope you had fun with your interval runs this morning! Sounds like a great way to start the day...
Old 08-26-2010, 05:03 AM   #3463
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lafleur
Stats: 150/.../115-120
WOE: Curves
Hey Twyla,

I don't want to bother you too much, but I'm new to the boards and new to Callanetics, and I have a couple of questions about 10 in 10 that other individuals don't seem to be answering well, so I'm wondering what the best way of asking you about it is, since I can't sent private messages. Should I make a separate thread?

Sorry to post this in your journal, but I really don't know how to make sure to get in contact with you!!!

I hope you had fun on your run this morning!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:29 AM   #3464

YES! YES! I had fun on my run this morning. 15 sprint intervals, with brisk walk recovery. Felt wonderful.

Lafleur...(cool name)...absolutely, ask away. I'll always be a dedicated Callanetics recruiter. So anything I can help you with, let me know.

I'm in court most of the day, but I'll check back on my lunch hour and get back to you then, if that's good for you.

TTYL?
Old 08-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #3465
Junior LCF Member

Hey again Twyla,

Wow you're great! Busy day today, so I didn't get to check for a response until now.

Anyway, I'm having a lot of trouble with the hip/bottom exercises. I don't quite understand what I'm doing wrong, but I think my position is wrong, because I seem to be working completely different muscles in the different hips/bottoms. Sometimes I'm working the muscles right above my bum, sometimes below I think and yesterday one of my sides was really sore in the glutes, while the other one wasn't. I think what I'm having the most trouble with is rolling the hip forward and then the pelvis up, which is what she tells us to do. Do you have any advice for performing this exercise correctly? Where am I going to be sore afterward? Is it more important to have the hip rolled forward than the pelvis up (if I have to choose between the two at the beginning)? How do I make sure I'm not working my legs instead of my hips? It's so hard to keep focused on everything at once, and I really want to get this exercise right (since, well it should trim my hips ). Sadly there's no Callanetics teacher in my area or anywhere accessible to me or I'd go to someone in person to help me with this.

I know that it takes a few times to really get the exercises. I think yesterday was the first day I really got the ab ones, but the hip ones just seem to be getting worse and worse for me. I don't feel any pain in my back though while doing them, so at least I'm doing something right.

Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #3466
Junior LCF Member

And actually, I noticed I did something wrong when I was feeling sore on my right side and not on my left. >.<
Old 08-27-2010, 02:59 AM   #3467

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafleur View Post
Lafleur, I'm gonna break this down and offer tiny bits of advice that may OR MAY NOT be of any consequence to you. I am not a Callanetics instructor, but I'm fully aware of the concepts and the most imp "bottom line" non-technical piece of advice I can give you is: Listen to your body from within and give this time.

I don't know how many sessions you've done of Callanetics, but it took me at least 8 or more before I finally felt like I was doing it correctly. It felt very awkward at first. As I practiced more and more, it became more and more natural. And perhaps focusing on only ONE concept at a time rather than trying to nail all of them simultaneously, your body will 'LEARN' and cooperate with each additional session and it will "click" with you at some point. I promise.

Anyway, I'm having a lot of trouble with the hip/bottom exercises. I don't quite understand what I'm doing wrong, but I think my position is wrong, because I seem to be working completely different muscles in the different hips/bottoms. Sometimes I'm working the muscles right above my bum, sometimes below I think and yesterday one of my sides was really sore in the glutes, while the other one wasn't.

First, this is NORMAL. This is EXPECTED. I'm not trying to be too simplistic, but you will FEEL the effects of Callanetics -- the same exercise -- in different ways each and every time you do them. That's part of the synergistic nature of Callanetics. It's a working together of the muscle fibers and they are challenged differently and increasingly each time.

I think what I'm having the most trouble with is rolling the hip forward and then the pelvis up, which is what she tells us to do. Do you have any advice for performing this exercise correctly? Where am I going to be sore afterward? Is it more important to have the hip rolled forward than the pelvis up (if I have to choose between the two at the beginning)? How do I make sure I'm not working my legs instead of my hips?

My best piece of advice here (again, I'm not an instructor) is to lengthen your muscles and your legs, paying attention to what is referred to as counterpulls. You don't want to LOCK your leg, because you do want to feel relaxed as well, but as you lengthen your leg (while hip is rolled forward rather than upward or back) imagine that you are trying to touch something with your toes, you're reaching/stretching that leg out as far as it will go, trying to reach an invisible object and you can't seem to quite make contact, but you keep reaching...???? While doing this, contract your pelvic floor muscles (this is an inner movement, not at all visible from the outside) as if you're trying to squeeze and keep from peeing :blush: and the more you pull/squeeze the pelvic floor muscles, your belly button and pelvic area will seem to come together -- again, not visible, but felt from the inside.

What I've tried to just explain (not very well) are two things: Lengthening our legs (toes trying to reach an invisible object) to infinity and squeezing your pelvic floor muscles, all while hips are rolled slightly forward.

It's so hard to keep focused on everything at once, and I really want to get this exercise right (since, well it should trim my hips ). Sadly there's no Callanetics teacher in my area or anywhere accessible to me or I'd go to someone in person to help me with this.

I know that it takes a few times to really get the exercises. I think yesterday was the first day I really got the ab ones, but the hip ones just seem to be getting worse and worse for me. I don't feel any pain in my back though while doing them, so at least I'm doing something right.

Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that these explanations probably don't help one single bit. This is something that is best explained while SEEING, a visual, rather than reading an explanation from print obviously. But at the same time, many of these concepts CANNOT be seen with the eye, but are concepts that are practiced and mastered all from within, since they are such tiny inner movements.

Most importantly, trying too hard will just frustrate you more.

Lastly, although I didn't have a chance to practice Callanetics Evolution until having gotten SEVERAL hours of 10 and 10 and Super C behind me, I highly recommend purchasing that DVD because of the added emphasis that Sandra gives to the concepts. She nails the concepts in that DVD. I truly had a better understanding of the concepts once I had watched/exercised with Evolution. That is not to say that 10 and 10 is not as effective; I just feel that the concepts are better explained in Evolution.

I hope this helps. Please don't give up. Just continue to focus on one thing at a time, relax, and lengthen with your counterpulls (an Evolution term, by the way), and it WILL eventually click. You will feel different effects on the muscles at different times. This is expected.

Relax and let it happen. My best to you. Keep me posted, will ya?
Old 08-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #3468
HB = Healthy & Balanced

beautiful!!!!!!!!!! ALL of it

Quote:

I'm going out this morning for interval runs. I've had some coffee, and I briefly stepped outside to test the air. The moonlight and stillness beckoned me...can't wait.

There were beautiful storm-like clouds veiling the moon last night as I was driving home. I wanted to just pull over to the side of the road and sit and stare. Took my breath away.

It still looks that way. It will be like having my own personal canvas in front of me as I run. And breathe. And purge. And recharge for a new day.

My coffee is almost gone. Off I go.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #3469
Junior LCF Member

Hey Twyla,

Thanks so much for getting back to me with such an informative response! I understand some of it, but I'm sure I'll understand it more as time goes on. Hopefullly. I did my fourth session today, and it was very rushed and my form was pretty bad, but I wanted to get it done this morning. I guess as someone who has always been lower body heavy, I just got super excited when I heard that Callanetics could reshape the hips, thighs, and bum to make them smaller. Even now as I'm losing weight, I can see inches dropping off of my waist and bust, but nothing really happening to my hips, and I know this is how it goes when I lose weight, so I got really excited and focused on seeing results, but I honestly haven't done Callanetics for long enough yet. I know everybody is different, and hopefully eventually I'll get to the point I want to get to with my lower body. The fact that I'm bottom heavy is also the reason I am so concerned with getting the hip exercises right.

I ordered several Callanetics videos a few months ago, but just started with it, and I might have Callanetics Evolution at college somewhere, but I'm going to have to wait until I go back to see whether I have it over there. If not, I'll definitely order it, because I would like to have more of an explanation when I'm doing the exercises, but I think I'll stick with 10 in 10 for the near future.

Currently I'm working on keeping my hips rolled as forward as possible before anything else, since Callan said that was really important so that you're not working your thigh instead of your hip/behind. This is priority #1 for me, and then I guess I'll work on the rest of my form later. I think it helps for the hip exercises where the leg is bent, but for the ones with the leg extended I'm still having some trouble (today my leg muscles started shaking in the middle of it! Yikes!). Btw, can rolling my hip too much forward be a bad thing?

I honestly didn't know that when Callan said to tip the pelvis up, she meant to engage the pelvic floor muscles. I thought it meant to tip the pelvis up like you do in the exercise where you're working your legs with the feet together and you lower one inch then tip pelvis up then tip back, then lower again, etc. Is this not what tipping the pelvis up means? When I tip the pelvis up during the hip exercises it lifts my leg a little and in the first exercise it lowers my foot, which is what Callan said it should do, but I'm probably currently doing it a little wrong in the second exercise.

The other thing of concern to me right now are my leg muscles. They are starting to feel very strong/dense/hard from the Callanetics exercises, and I'm concerned that they're going to bulk up in the next few weeks, while I'm really hoping for them to shrink quite a bit instead.

I'll definitely keep you updated on my progress, and I'm hoping to stick to Callanetics for a while yet. I'm just hoping to see some improvement that involves the lower body and not my bust!

You're really an inspiration to me, and I hope it isn't too much if I tell you that Callanetics came to me through you, as first I came to LCF through some posts of yours about Callentics when I googled some information about how to make the hips and thighs smaller.

Thanks again, hope to hear from you, and I'll be in touch!

Last edited by lafleur; 08-27-2010 at 03:33 PM..
Old 08-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #3470

Lafleur

Bottom-half heavy means you're likely an endomorph. (So am I)

Endomorphs have to work harder at burning fat than other body types. Because of that, it is recommended that they do more cardio than most other people.

I don't know what or how much (if any) cardio you're doing, but to see progressive results with Callanetics, I highly recommend getting in no less than 4 days of 30-min sessions of cardio. If you don't have 30 mins, split it up, 15 min am 15 min pm. You can do it on the same day as Callan, or alternating days.

Callanetics WILL NOT bulk your lower body. Will not. No worries there.

Four hours of Callanetics is nowhere near enough to begin analyzing its effectiveness on your body. Your muscles will change shape from within, and this process will evolve and evolve and evolve. Relax and enjoy the show.

Your leg shaking during the exercise is a good thing. That means you've challenged your muscle.

If you haven't already, stop NOW -- NOW! -- and take pics of yourself (side, front, back views) and measure. Write down these measurements in a log and recheck after four weeks. Take pics every 4-6 weeks. You'll be glad you did.

Keep working it, work your program, focus on form, but don't overfocus, and do your cardio. Make sure you're eating in a deficit (calorie wise) as well.

All of these things should spell success for you with this program.

Best of luck to you, Lafleur.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #3471
HB = Healthy & Balanced

I'm top heavy...
well, I used to be -- went from C+ to B
what am I? I have (had) big boobs long legs but NO waist!
an apple?
ectomorph?
Old 08-29-2010, 12:56 AM   #3472
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: willdob
Quote:
WILLDOB

I am mostly doing carb cycling. I've done various styles of carb cycling over the past couple of years, but right now, I'm pretty much doing 1 med day a week and one high day a week, the rest low carb to VLC and higher fat. I rarely go below 150 in protein. And on med and high carb days, my fat goes down -- the higher the carbs, the lower you want your fat grams to be.

I try to eat clean, even on my high carb days. I try to avoid junk food and "white" food -- flour, sugar, pasta, etc. I've learned that I have trigger foods, and so I try to avoid those completely because I lose all sense of reason and eat it shamelessly till it's gone. :blush:

If you're trying to repair metab, I'd suggest going up to maintenance level cals for no less than two weeks. EAt clean, not junk, but eat at maintenance and eat 5-6 meals a day, protein at eat meal of course. Then gradually begin a deficit of 200-300 less cals per day. And/or you can throw in 1-2 days a week at a 500 cal deficit, the rest at about 250-300 deficit.
Keep your carbs earlier in the day and around your workouts. Taper to protein and green veggies only at night.

And above all, BUILD MUSCLE, and train progressively. Muscle burns three x more calories than fat, so the more LBM you have, the higher your metabolism, the KEY to repairing a sluggish metabolism. The macronutrients before and after a strength training workout are the two most important meals of the day, so fuel your body with respect.

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for answering

I am doing exactly what you just said- i think i was eating less than 1400 calories. I increased my intake by 200 per week

I reached 1800 calories this week and didnt gain that much weight

Yes-I am eating healthy i guess ill focuss on carb cycling once i hit those two weeks like you said

Thanks allot again ! that really helped!
Old 08-29-2010, 04:48 AM   #3473

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird11 View Post
I'm top heavy...
well, I used to be -- went from C+ to B
what am I? I have (had) big boobs long legs but NO waist!
an apple?
ectomorph?
Ectomorph. Yep, yep, that would be my guess.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:53 AM   #3474

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdob View Post
Thank you so much for answering

I am doing exactly what you just said- i think i was eating less than 1400 calories. I increased my intake by 200 per week

I reached 1800 calories this week and didnt gain that much weight

Yes-I am eating healthy i guess ill focuss on carb cycling once i hit those two weeks like you said

Thanks allot again ! that really helped!
Willdob, you're welcome.

Keep in mind that one of the most common ways of screwing up metabolism is staying at too low calories for too long. Our bodies will adjust to that and adapt to make it harder to lose weight. In fact, our bodies adjust to anything we do to it, including the types of exercise we do and the kinds of foods we eat (or don't eat). Variety and spice is key to keeping our bodies "awake" and responsive to stimuli.

Hope to hear back from you to see how you're progressing. Best of luck.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:03 AM   #3475

I went to the gym yesterday morning and had a great workout. Worked glutes, hams and triceps. Learned a few things I didn't know.

Tried a progressive squat routine that I saw in Oxygen, using a barbell, and adjusting foot position wider and wider, to focus on glutes, toes pointed forward. It was good, effective. DOMS on all muscle groups began setting in late afternoon, and this morning I had to walk, uh, carefully down the stairs.

Yeah, baby.

I'm starting to get to know more people at the gym, and it's fun to chat and swap ideas, info, nutritional info, etc. I'm hoping to recruit more women in my circles to start working out there. It's part of my new mission.

I dropped my cell phone in the toilet yesterday afternoon. After shouting a few expletives, I fished it out (clean toilet -- whew) and tried blow drying it, but I knew it was a gonner. CRAP! I don't have great luck with cell phones. What's up with that?

I made chicken burritos for Zach for dinner last night. His choice. Yummy! Fresh tomatoes nailed the taste. Enjoyed some Ergo red wine with them. It all tasted wonderful. The day was a successful med/high carb day, all clean and balanced.

I need more coffee. I'm thinking this will be a rest day today. Heading to my youngest son's football game this afternoon.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 08-29-2010 at 05:08 AM..
Old 08-29-2010, 05:34 AM   #3476
Big Yapper!!!!

My niece did the same thing with her phone, bam down the toilet she put it in the hot press the boiler room over night and it's working now, might be an idea.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #3477
HB = Healthy & Balanced

cell phone drowning :(

per Hubby (elec eng @ at&t) -- if it was Iphone -- it's probly dead

if older phone, you can try removing Sim Card & blow dry THAT piece...

sorry & good luck.

if it's any solace to ya; I don't have any luck w cell fones either:

June - I accidentally broke my Iphone
July - my brandnew Iphone was stolen
Aug - almost lost 2nd brandnew Iphone!
Sep - I RESOLVE TO BE MORE CAREFUL!!

Quote:

I dropped my cell phone in the toilet yesterday afternoon. After shouting a few expletives, I fished it out (clean toilet -- whew) and tried blow drying it, but I knew it was a gonner. CRAP! I don't have great luck with cell phones. What's up with that?
Old 08-30-2010, 02:37 AM   #3478

Good news: My phone has been brought back to life. I took the advice of TBF (and others on the net, because I googled it), and left it lying in the window sill all day in the warm sun. By day's end, it would at least turn on, although it was acting a little psychotic with the display features. There may be hope. It may have slight brain damage, but I'm hoping for a full recovery.

It isn't an Iphone, by the way.

I can't stand not having my phone. Weekends aren't so bad, but during the week I use it quite a bit. And I can't text Gavin w/o my phone.

My youngest son had a FANTASTIC game yesterday. Lots of tackles, made a TD and just stayed on fire throughout the entire game. He loved hearing his name announced over the loud speaker. Does wonders for his confidence/ego, something he's lacking in -- but he's coming around!

I'm going for a run this morning, maybe back/biceps at the gym tonight.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 08-30-2010 at 02:40 AM..
Old 08-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #3479
HB = Healthy & Balanced

excellent!
if you can remove the sim card and place in sun (or blow dry) even bettah
Old 08-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #3480
Big Yapper!!!!

Awseome am glad the phone has been saved, there expensive enough as it is!! My phone is like a third arm I would be lost without it
Closed Thread