Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #3421
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Wow....is it hot or WHAT!!!!

Heat index soared upward again today, a repeat of last week, and by mid afternoon, the AC in the entire courthouse began to disfunction. Great. At our midafternoon recess at 3:00 pm, once the Judge learned of the problem (we were all already suffering, using fans WITH what AC we had to keep air moving), he decided to recess the trial for the day and resume tomorrow. No complaints from me -- or anyone else. I couldn't wait to take my jacket off and guzzle a huge bottle of water on my way out the door.

I was thinking on my drive home about how hormones really are such a huge culprit in women's struggles with controlling their weight, their appetite, etc. When hormones are steady, everything else is steady, manageable. Hunger is so much more controllable. You can even manage to ignore it or subdue it in creative ways if you work at it. But when women are faced with hormonal times, it just SUCKS. Sorry, world. No other word for it. I've paid my dues with that crap....enough already.

I truly believe it's a matter of manipulating macronutrients during that time and feeding the body. The hunger is a given. It's just gonna be there no matter what. So expect to eat more calories than normal. But the cravings, they can be manipulated somewhat IMO. It's just a matter of being keenly in tune with what your body is lacking.

Anyway......I'm treasuring this "normal" time of coasting while it lasts.

I got in some Super Callanetics this morning -- No-Ponytail-Required. I have a habit of putting my hair behind my ears subconsciously. I can't do that either. No sweating, ponytails, hats (ah, darn, I love hats) or putting your hair behind your ears for 72 hrs while the keratin "sets" or does its thang.

So far today 34 carbs, all veggies pretty much.

Two more low days. Hoping for cooler temps by the weekend.

I'm sad that my middle son will be leaving for college next weekend. We've gotten closer this summer than ever before. We've gone to the gym several times together, talk fitness, nutrition, etc. The bonding has been great. He's a slob, leaves his crap all over the place, dirty dishes and laundry all over the place, but I'm gonna keep my complaints to a minimum, because in just over a week he'll be gone again. I'll deal with his idiosyncracies just so I can have him around. I'll be able to see him most weekends once football season starts, though, and I look forward to that.

Seems weird to come home after work and see all THREE SONS at home again. Granted, the house is destroyed. But boys will be boys. And then they're gone. To everything there is a season.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #3422
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Danipower714
Stats: 217 (high during pregnancy)/175/160 for now
WOE: South Beach inspired
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post

Seems weird to come home after work and see all THREE SONS at home again. Granted, the house is destroyed. But boys will be boys. And then they're gone. To everything there is a season.

Do you remember the show "My Three Sons" ? I used to watch it on Nick at Nite with my Dad as a kid. Thought of it when you wrote about your three sons, hehehe. I know you'll miss Zach...hope you have all back in the house together soon!
Old 08-12-2010, 02:32 AM   #3423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danipower714 View Post
Do you remember the show "My Three Sons" ? I used to watch it on Nick at Nite with my Dad as a kid. Thought of it when you wrote about your three sons, hehehe. I know you'll miss Zach...hope you have all back in the house together soon!
Dani, I remember watching the show--when it was originally aired, not on NIN-- and when I learned that my third baby was going to be a boy, that was the first thought that popped into my head: My Three Sons.

Last night they were in Silly Mode, cracking me up, and it was so cool to see them laughing together, interacting, being typical "guys." They're to that point in their lives where they actually like each other. Zach was messing with them, snapping off dictorial-sounding commands in Japanese, and we were cracking up. He's managed to teach Colt one word so far in Japanese. "Kah." (Not sure I spelled it right, but that's the phonetic spelling.) It means: mosquito. That should be challenging to commit to memory.

Now if only I can get him to teach Gavin how to say "humble" in Japanese...it's a foreign concept to him, regardless of the language in which it's spoken.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 08-12-2010 at 02:34 AM..
Old 08-12-2010, 02:37 AM   #3424

TOTALS WEDNESDAY:
CALS...........1471
PROT.............174
CARBS.............47
FIBER..............18
FAT................72

35 MINS SUPER CALLANETICS
Old 08-12-2010, 04:50 AM   #3425
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunny Beach
Stats: 183/166.5/143
WOE: Low-carb + IF
Start Date: August 2010
Hey Twyla

How nice for you to have all your boys around! They sound like lots of fun

I hope it cools down for you soon... or that your air conditioning at work gets fixed, at least! We're in the middle of winter here at the moment and I can't wait for summer... (with working air-con in the office though, of course)
Old 08-12-2010, 06:35 AM   #3426
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Danipower714
Stats: 217 (high during pregnancy)/175/160 for now
WOE: South Beach inspired
Quote:
Dani, I remember watching the show--when it was originally aired, not on NIN-- and when I learned that my third baby was going to be a boy, that was the first thought that popped into my head: My Three Sons.

Last night they were in Silly Mode, cracking me up, and it was so cool to see them laughing together, interacting, being typical "guys." They're to that point in their lives where they actually like each other. Zach was messing with them, snapping off dictorial-sounding commands in Japanese, and we were cracking up. He's managed to teach Colt one word so far in Japanese. "Kah." (Not sure I spelled it right, but that's the phonetic spelling.) It means: mosquito. That should be challenging to commit to memory.

Now if only I can get him to teach Gavin how to say "humble" in Japanese...it's a foreign concept to him, regardless of the language in which it's spoken.
That's too funny!!
Old 08-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #3427

I'm very tired. Another long day in court, and the AC stopped working again, but this time not until after 4 o'clock.

Ugh.

Good day satiety wise. Low carbs, no issues. Feeling leaner than usual. My clothes are telling the story.

Just finished up some transcripts a little while ago. Heading now to the grocery store. We're out of milk...AGAIN. We need a cow.

TOTALS:

CALS.......1531
PROT.........182
CARBS.........43
FIBER..........15
FAT.............72

45 MINS SUPER CALLANETICS A.M.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #3428

FRIDAY. TGIF.

No workout this morning. My body needed more sleep AND I knew I'd get a chance for some cardio after work. I finally get to wash my hair this evening! So cardio is on tap for after work.

Hunger very subdued today. Around 800 cals so far and only 22 carbs.

I've been enjoying my Banana Scream protein muffins every morning with green tea or coffee. I've pretty much ate the same thing every day this week for breakfast, snack and lunch.

Just finished court for the day. Judge recessed early, to resume witnesses on Monday morning. I can't go home yet; waiting to get a file from the clerk's office that's been misplaced.

Looking forward to a glass or two of wine when I get home -- a much deserved, coveted indulgence.

Tomorrow is gym day -- Kick Butt Day, with high carbs.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #3429

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins Inductions for 14 Days
Start Date: 6/10/2014
Hi Twyla, just stopping by... looks like all is well here. I've been meaning to ask if you were an attorney? The banana scream muffin sounds devine. Enjoy your Kick Butt WO and those yummy carbs tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #3430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meek2010 View Post
Hi Twyla, just stopping by... looks like all is well here. I've been meaning to ask if you were an attorney? The banana scream muffin sounds devine. Enjoy your Kick Butt WO and those yummy carbs tomorrow.

Hey, Meek. An attorney?
Nope.
I'm a court reporter. I've been in the courtroom doing my "passion" (yes, it's another one of my passions) since 1983, believe it or not. And I'm blessed to have a job that I actually love doing.

The Banana Scream Muffin? It's made with Champion Whey Banana Scream whey protein:

1 scoop Banana Scream Whey Protein
1 TBS flax
1 egg
1 packet Stevia
Few shakes of cinnamon
1-2 T of water

Stir briskly. Pour into a custard cup (sprayed with Pam) and nuke for 1 min 20 seconds.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #3431

Word of the Day:

PASSION

passion - (pash-uhn)
- noun

A strong or extravagant fondness, enthusiasm, or desire for something.

“Passion, it lies in all of us, sleeping... waiting... and though unwanted... unbidden... it will stir... open its jaws and howl.
It speaks to us... guides us... passion rules us all, and we obey.
What other choice do we have?
Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love... the clarity of hatred... and the ecstasy of grief.
It hurts sometimes more than we can bear."
Josh Whedon

“If there is no passion in your life, then have you really lived?
Find your passion, whatever it may be.
Become it, and let it become you
and you will find great things happen
FOR you, TO you and BECAUSE of you.”
T. Alan Armstrong

“Rest in reason; move in passion.”
Khalil Gibran

Old 08-14-2010, 04:38 AM   #3432

Down one (1) lb for the week.

FRIDAY TOTALS:

CALS...............1349
PROT................143
CARBS..............34
FIBER...............12
FAT.................57
ALCOHOL..........24

28 MINS S/S CARDIO, ELLIPTICAL (PM)

Old 08-14-2010, 06:26 AM   #3433
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: odirish
Hi Twyla

My name's Mary Ann. I just happened upon your journal and started to read some of it. Did you start with Atkins to initially lose the weight? I have gained about 40 lbs., and workouts and 5 small meals a day aren't doing it for me. I think I need lower carbs. Would you happen to have an older journal of doing Atkins? I found that I do great on Atkins for about 2 weeks, then the boredom sets in and I stray. Thanks for any information you can give.

Mary Ann
Old 08-14-2010, 08:03 AM   #3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by odirish View Post
Hi Twyla

My name's Mary Ann. I just happened upon your journal and started to read some of it. Did you start with Atkins to initially lose the weight? I have gained about 40 lbs., and workouts and 5 small meals a day aren't doing it for me. I think I need lower carbs. Would you happen to have an older journal of doing Atkins? I found that I do great on Atkins for about 2 weeks, then the boredom sets in and I stray. Thanks for any information you can give.

Mary Ann
Hi, Mary Ann.

You didn't mention what kinds of food you're eating right now, what style of eating, etc. That would be important to know -- what you're eating, how many cals, how many carbs, how much protein, just overall macronurtrient breakdown. Also, what your activity level is like, workouts, etc. This would all be relevant in my trying to help you out.

I stayed on Atkins too long (painful lesson), i.e., low carbs, fear of carbs, etc.

I'd try to keep carbs between 30-60 for weeks on end, and I'd do fine for a few weeks to a month, then binge; wash, rinse, repeat. Lost and gained the same weight over and over and over for 3 FRIKKIN years. WHAT A WASTE.

And then I learned how carbs can be maniupulated to help us reach our goals.

Take a peek at this section of my journal: Page 42, Post 1249.

Write me back with some input on your current status, goals, etc.

We'll go from there, k?
Old 08-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #3435
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: odirish
Actually, I stopped and started Atkins too many times to count. I have a goal to lose 40 lbs., that's about it. I don't count calories etc. I had been a regular at the gym for years, but never had anyone who knew anything about diet, so I never made any progress. So, I guess I'm starting from scratch. I am 58, so I've heard that I don't need as many calories because of the metabolism slowing down. I stopped going to the gym because of lack of progress, but haven't given up my membership. I work swing shift with alot of 12 hour shifts. My weight is currently 185 fully dressed with shoes on. My goal is 135 to 145. I am 5'3". BTW...I had been running at the local high school track, 2 miles a day, but got sidetracked with the heat and my work schedule. Thanks for taking the time to help me. I saw BFFM on your avatar. I had that download, but lost it when my computer crashed. Was it hard to follow?

Mary Ann
Old 08-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #3436

Quote:
I have gained about 40 lbs., and workouts and 5 small meals a day aren't doing it for me. I think I need lower carbs.
Mary Ann,

I think you need to know where you stand with your food intake. I would suggest that you begin tracking all of your food with a program such as ****** (you can open an account online, free) or a similar tracking program.

If you are going to count carbs, you need to track your carb intake and know what you're eating, how it affects you, your energy, your overall satiety, etc.

Some people need more carbs than others.

As for calories, to lose weight, you can ballpark your caloric deficit at about 10-12 x your current BW. I'd begin with 12, and try that for a week or two, and see how you do.

If you keep your carbs low, you can fill up on protein and fat to stay full.

I would encourage you to get in no less than 3 days a week of cardio of some sort, and 2-3 days of weight lifting to increase your lean muscle mass. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn -- an offset to that aging process. Yes, our metab slows as we get older, but there are ways around that if we "work it."

Low carb works very well at helping people to drop the weight. You said five small meals a day and working out....it's imp to know what those 5 meals are made up of -- carbs, cals, protein, etc. What about that is not working out for you? Do you mean you're not losing, you're not satisfied, what exactly?

I'm diggin' a little deeper...!
Old 08-15-2010, 09:39 AM   #3437
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tempted_by_food
Stats: 233/164/140
WOE: HHCG Rogue Style....
Start Date: restart: 7/13/2009
Hope your having a fantasic sunday!! I love the passion poem very inspiring! How are you liking the new straight hair bet it looks fab!
Old 08-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #3438
Senior LCF Member

Hey Twyla hope you are having (had? I can never remember the time difference... I think you guys are behind us...?) a great weekend

I also loved your 'passion' quotes/poems, and you got me thinking... though I enjoy my job, and my hobbies and interests, I don't think I'm truly 'passionate' about any of them... so what I do want to be passionate about is - LIFE. Just having that mindset where every day is a blessing, and taking time to be mindful and present, and enjoying the simple, everyday things in life as much as the extraordinary moments... being joyful and thankful for all I have.

On that note... I hope you have a wonderful week! (And that the air-con in the courtroom is working again...!)

The pain of discipline, or the pain of regret... sometimes you have to choose!

Allies Exercising Around the World Challenge - November
Old 08-16-2010, 02:18 AM   #3439

Hey, TBF & SunnyB.

My weekend was very busy.

I'm glad you guys liked the passion discussion. It WAS meant to be thought-provoking. I've always believed that EVERYONE needs a passion, at least one, but ESP one. Something that they identify with, that's noticeable by others who know them. Being passionate about something keeps us coming back for more.

Everyone needs that to feel truly alive.

Sometimes everyday life leaves us feeling very stale, unfulfilled, restless, unuseful -- etc the list goes on. Our passion should energize us up and out of that mindset and keep our fires lit...

.... for that which means the most to us.

Passion.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:32 AM   #3440

MONDAY MORNING UPDATE

Summarizing Saturday and Sunday...Saturday was my high day, and I didn't get to track past dinner. It got a little uh hectic later, but suffice to say it ended up being a very high carb day for me, a bit beyond what I am comfortable with. I can do a high day at say 300 carbs and 2300-2400 cals in a look-ma-no-hands mode, but beyond that I begin to feel a little out of control. But my body should adjust within a day or two and be all the better for it. I probaly had around 400-450 carbs and probably 2700+ cals.

My training at the gym Saturday was fabulous. I made up for lost time from last week's hiatus, and nailed glutes, hams, inner thighs and quads, plus delts. Cardio before AND after. I couldn't take a step yesterday without being reminded.

Sunday was a low carb day, and again, I didn't feel as controlled and such as I normally do. NOt sure why that was. I was extremely busy, so no time to track, but I ate very little carbs, just filled up on protein and fat. The excess carbs over what I normally do left me feeling a little bloated. So I evidently exceeded that comfort zone of the carb up approach. From what I've learned from "others," however, that can be instrumental now and then in our body's heightened response to a different stimulus. So I'll just hang on tight and think positive for the next day or so, wait and see.

SAT WORKOUTS:

10 MINS CARDIO WARMUP
1 HR 10 MINS LB AND DELTS
20 MINS CARDIO
350 CRUNCHES (PM)

SUNDAY WORKOUTS

20 MINS AB JAM
40 MINS CARDIO
Old 08-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #3441
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: willdob
Hi 'watch me shrink'

are you trying in general to eat [40%P] [40% F] and [20% C] ?
Do you do carb cycling or calorie cycling?

I am sorry to ask you like this randomly but it seems the more i read on the net the more confused i get, figured id ask someone who seems to be following it.
I read page 42, but still i just need a general number.

If you want to know about me, i am 19 years old, female, and trying to repair my metabolism as fast as possible for fat loss. Currently eating 1500 and i want to increase it.

Thank you in advance, looks like you are doing great!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:12 AM   #3442
Big Yapper!!!!

How your week is going well, cant believe its nearly the weekend again!!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #3443

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdob View Post
Hi 'watch me shrink'

are you trying in general to eat [40%P] [40% F] and [20% C] ?
Do you do carb cycling or calorie cycling?

I am sorry to ask you like this randomly but it seems the more i read on the net the more confused i get, figured id ask someone who seems to be following it.
I read page 42, but still i just need a general number.

If you want to know about me, i am 19 years old, female, and trying to repair my metabolism as fast as possible for fat loss. Currently eating 1500 and i want to increase it.

Thank you in advance, looks like you are doing great!
WILLDOB

I am mostly doing carb cycling. I've done various styles of carb cycling over the past couple of years, but right now, I'm pretty much doing 1 med day a week and one high day a week, the rest low carb to VLC and higher fat. I rarely go below 150 in protein. And on med and high carb days, my fat goes down -- the higher the carbs, the lower you want your fat grams to be.

I try to eat clean, even on my high carb days. I try to avoid junk food and "white" food -- flour, sugar, pasta, etc. I've learned that I have trigger foods, and so I try to avoid those completely because I lose all sense of reason and eat it shamelessly till it's gone. :blush:

If you're trying to repair metab, I'd suggest going up to maintenance level cals for no less than two weeks. EAt clean, not junk, but eat at maintenance and eat 5-6 meals a day, protein at eat meal of course. Then gradually begin a deficit of 200-300 less cals per day. And/or you can throw in 1-2 days a week at a 500 cal deficit, the rest at about 250-300 deficit.
Keep your carbs earlier in the day and around your workouts. Taper to protein and green veggies only at night.

And above all, BUILD MUSCLE, and train progressively. Muscle burns three x more calories than fat, so the more LBM you have, the higher your metabolism, the KEY to repairing a sluggish metabolism. The macronutrients before and after a strength training workout are the two most important meals of the day, so fuel your body with respect.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:10 AM   #3444

Drive-by update.

Heading to PA this afternoon with my middle son to help him with settling back in at college for the fall semester. Football practice starts tomorrow, a mandatory meeting for the team on Saturday morning, so we're going up tonight and getting him in his room, and I'll try to make sure he has everything he needs while I'm in town.

I'll get to shop a little and have some ME TIME ... ... after I get him settled in. Shop a little tonight and again tomorrow. May likely venture into Pittsburgh. Looking for a special dress....I know what I want, it's just a matter of finding it.

We've grown closer this summer than ever before. It's bittersweet, him going back to school. I'm looking forward to watching him play football, but it will seem sad not having him around.

Just got back from the gym, having taken the day off. Had a shake, gonna shower and help him get packed and loaded up, then I'll follow him NORTH.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #3445
Senior LCF Member

Hey Twyla

Just wanted to drop in and say hi, hope you're having a great weekend and shopping up a storm!

- Sunny
Old 08-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #3446
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
right back atcha T!
I U 4-evah!

XO,
HB

Quote:

Reaching out to you with a big, silent hug.

Again.
And again.
And for as long as it takes.

Last edited by hummingbird11; 08-23-2010 at 06:36 PM..
Old 08-24-2010, 01:54 AM   #3447

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK
;

[/FONT]
my greatest joy is when all five of our boys are home too! The house gets messy but its filled with life and laughter.

How is it going settling your son. Im glad you can at least watch him play during his season
Old 08-24-2010, 02:09 AM   #3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird11 View Post
right back atcha T!
I U 4-evah!

XO,
HB
Oh.My.Gosh.

(I thought I was seeing things!)

HB is back?????
Yes! She's back.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:13 AM   #3449

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
my greatest joy is when all five of our boys are home too! The house gets messy but its filled with life and laughter.

How is it going settling your son. Im glad you can at least watch him play during his season
Hey, Ileen. I was just thinking of you while making coffee. Honest.

Yes, I got Gavin off and he slid into that element like an old pro. All the coaches were cavorting with him, beating around on him, commenting on his size, etc., (his goal was to get to 300 by football season), and he was eating it up bad.

I'll definitely miss him, and having him around at the gym too.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:54 AM   #3450
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi T...Howd the shopping go, get anything nice?
Closed Thread