Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meek2010 View Post
Hey Twyla,

Quick question in regards to your post.

Did you refeed on the weekends or just one day?

When I first began the "refeed" approach, I began with one day of refeed, Saturdays, keeping low carbs (30ish) the rest of the week.

Did you work out during your refeed?

Oh.Yeah.

Did you find that it was hard to return back to your plan after your refeed meals?

As crazy as it sounds, no. My body was so hungry from being depleted all week, while staying committed to daily workouts, that it GOBBLED those carbs up and my energy levels SHOT THROUGH THE ROOF on the day of the refeed and remained elevated for the day after. No hunger or craving issues whatsoever on the day following. In fact, I had less of an appetite on the day following a refeed than any other day of the week.

What is "leaning down" - yes, I'm slow, lol.

Leaning down...well, burning off the fat and keeping the muscle. Thus, you won't see much change in the numbers on the scale, but your body will be tighter and smaller as a result. You'll SEE that beautiful muscle/definition that you're working on keeping and/or building. A LEAN MACHINE.

Also, did you do a "cutting phase"? If so, how many cals did you consume during that time or did you not focus on cals, just fat/protein/carbs?

I mostly kept to a deficit throughout the week, adjusting my cals as needed depending on bodily signals. Yes, I was cutting in effect. Can you cut and build muscle at the same time, not usually. But it can be done TO AN EXTENT. The main objective being to not LOSE muscle while you're cutting. Make sure you're getting enough protein (1.5 gr ppbw min) and fill up on fat and protein throughout the week while keeping carbs low, cals at a deficit, not too big, but to an extent.

Please help.

Thanks!!

Glad to help ya if I can. If I had to emphasize any one aspect of this approach, it would be that intense workouts on the day of your refeed is essential. That influx of carbs serves no purpose (except that excess not used will be stored as fat) if they're not utilized and absorbed by the body and into the muscle as designed.

Drink lots and lots of water. Get plenty of rest.

And on the day of refeed, eat clean. Do not eat a bunch of junk. Keep your fat low as you can (it will help shuttle carbs into bloodstream quicker) while you enjoy those yummy carbs. I gave you a list of stuff I usually ate on refeed days somewhere back in my journal...maybe you can do a search on the word "refeed" or "bagels" in my journal and you'll find it.

I think my first refeed was somewhere near 350 carbs.

It's an amazing plan if ya work it right.

Does that help?

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 08-06-2010 at 05:48 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2010, 05:54 AM   #3392

We've been without power at our house since 1:00 pm yesterday. It's a good thing I stayed at the office last night after court to get my work done.

When I got home, it was muggy/hot in the house and pitch dark. So I ended up going to bed early.

Showered in the dark this morning, threw on a dress, and packed my makeup and everything else -- finished getting ready at work. My husband kindly went to Sheets to get us coffee this morning...bless his sweet heart.

Weighed this morning for the first time in about 10 days, and I was down another 2.5 lbs since last weigh in.

I'm cautiously optimistic. (TOM isn't over!)

TOTALS THURSDAY:

CALS..........1562
PROT...........175
CARBS...........48
FIBER............11
FAT...............79

45 MINS SUPER CALLANETICS A.M.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:36 AM   #3393
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Danipower714
Stats: 217 (high during pregnancy)/175/160 for now
WOE: South Beach inspired
Way to go T! Hope the loss sticks!!
Old 08-06-2010, 06:54 AM   #3394
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LinCO
Stats: 168/151.6/147--5'9"
WOE: Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Diet Cleanse/Thrive
Start Date: May 2013
Hey Twyla!

it's been a long time since I looked ya up, but here you are diligently working your program and surrounded by friends and admirers! I still think you should write a book.

So get this, I stuck with my awesome Pilates thru thick and thin, finally the class moved to the common house of a development near here after the gym closed down (what an economy!), and once we moved away from having a janitor!!!! I ended up with MRSA!!! Good Gracious, that was rough. Mega mega antibiotics. The swelling above my knee was at least softball size.

Right after I was better, and had sworn off exercise facilities for the foreseeable, my nephew's sister visited and showed off her P90X results. Perfect timing. So I've now finished week 2 of the 12 weeks. Man, muscle building, it's a little different nutritionally. Trying to get my head back around that.

Let me thank you for the help that you are, Twyla.http://images.lowcarbfriends.com/lcf...ilies/hugs.gif
Old 08-06-2010, 08:44 AM   #3395

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins Inductions for 14 Days
Start Date: 6/10/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post

Glad to help ya if I can. If I had to emphasize any one aspect of this approach, it would be that intense workouts on the day of your refeed is essential. That influx of carbs serves no purpose (except that excess not used will be stored as fat) if they're not utilized and absorbed by the body and into the muscle as designed.

Drink lots and lots of water. Get plenty of rest.

And on the day of refeed, eat clean. Do not eat a bunch of junk. Keep your fat low as you can (it will help shuttle carbs into bloodstream quicker) while you enjoy those yummy carbs. I gave you a list of stuff I usually ate on refeed days somewhere back in my journal...maybe you can do a search on the word "refeed" or "bagels" in my journal and you'll find it.

I think my first refeed was somewhere near 350 carbs.

It's an amazing plan if ya work it right.

Does that help?

TWYLA, YOU ARE THE BEST! Thank you so much for answering my questions. Your feedback is very helpful.

You're right, the plan is amazing and it makes perfect sense. I just wish I'd listen way back when. I truly think this is the PERFECT program for me.

I'll search through your journal and jot down the items you suggested for refeed meals. The Anabolic ebook provides a lot of ideas too.

How long did your transformation take?

I'm going to be patient and give myself 3 years to build the perfect, lean body (lol).
Old 08-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #3396

Twyla, one more question:

What was your WO routine like during your cutting phase? Did you do all cardio or alternate between cardio and weights?

Please share.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #3397

Quote:
Twyla, one more question:

What was your WO routine like during your cutting phase? Did you do all cardio or alternate between cardio and weights?

Please share.

Thanks for all your help.
Meek, I looked back in my journal, and my first TKD approach started about Page 14 of my journal. Btinc posted some very inspiring before/after pics of the kinds of "leaning" you can accomplish with the right nutrition and training approach (Post 431, Page 15). So if you wanna sort of follow along with that phase of my "transformation," as you put it, that's where you could start.

As for your Q: Did I do only cardio in the cutting phase?

Uh...H no! !!! Ya gotta lift, woman! Ya gotta lift!

I switched to carb rotations in the spring of 2009, which comprised low, medium AND high days each week, kicking ass with training. Huge results with this approach, leaning down to 16% body fat by the fall of October '09.

I'm working my way back to that "low," and a bit beyond, if all goes as planned.
I'm attending an island wedding late September,
and I want to be ALL-THAT in a sleek, body-conscious dress for the wedding, kwim?

Both TKD and carb rotations have been very instrumental in helping me to lean down AND enjoy balanced, healthy nutrition, which gives me the best of both worlds, never feeling deprived, and helping me to avoid the all-too-familiar roller coaster ride of lose/gain/lose/gain with onsets of bingeing. Knowing that you have a high day to look forward to lets you "hang on" and work hard, knowing you'll be rewarded for your hard work and sacrifices.

I have Btinc to thank for his invaluable friendship and guidance throughout it all.

I wish you the best.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 08-06-2010 at 03:57 PM..
Old 08-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #3398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danipower714 View Post
Way to go T! Hope the loss sticks!!
Thank you, sweet friend. (meeeeee tooooo)
Old 08-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #3399

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinCO View Post
Hey Twyla!

it's been a long time since I looked ya up, but here you are diligently working your program and surrounded by friends and admirers! I still think you should write a book.

So get this, I stuck with my awesome Pilates thru thick and thin, finally the class moved to the common house of a development near here after the gym closed down (what an economy!), and once we moved away from having a janitor!!!! I ended up with MRSA!!! Good Gracious, that was rough. Mega mega antibiotics. The swelling above my knee was at least softball size.

Right after I was better, and had sworn off exercise facilities for the foreseeable, my nephew's sister visited and showed off her P90X results. Perfect timing. So I've now finished week 2 of the 12 weeks. Man, muscle building, it's a little different nutritionally. Trying to get my head back around that.

Let me thank you for the help that you are, Twyla.http://images.lowcarbfriends.com/lcf...ilies/hugs.gif
Laurie, so nice to see you again...and bummer about the MRSA....not good.

But on a positive note, I know a lot of people who are doing P90X and seeing great results with that program, so keep up the great work. Week 2 of 12? You're on your way!!!!

I hope you stop and chat with me often...I wanna hear about your progress.
Have a great weekend.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:49 AM   #3400

Friday was a busy day, and started off out of sorts, still having no electric from the day previous. I didn't sleep well, due to the heat and no AC. I tried to sleep later, no point in trying to get in a morning workout, and the extra rest probably did me a world of good. I showered by candlelight and finished getting ready at work. It was our fifth day in trial, and I stayed slammed the rest of the day.

I decided to let yesterday (Friday) be my rest day. Tried to relax a little last night, and played catch up a bit with household chores. I'll be working on transcripts this weekend, squeezing that in with other "Mom" duties. If I plan it right, hopefully I'll have time to lie in the sun for an hour or so. Finally A BREAK IN THE HEAT/WEATHER!

I'm headed to the gym this morning after dropping my son off at football practice. Today is a high day in rotations for me....anxious for my protein pancakes.

Weighing in this morning, it appears that lower number is valid. The drop in the scale weight stuck. Claiming that one.

TOTALS FRIDAY:

CALS......1557
PROT........175
CARBS........50
FIBER.........16
FAT............71

NO WORKOUTS.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:16 AM   #3401
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tempted_by_food
Stats: 233/164/140
WOE: HHCG Rogue Style....
Start Date: restart: 7/13/2009
2 1/2lbs woohoo if anyone deserves it you sure do!!!
Old 08-07-2010, 05:46 AM   #3402

Thanks for your help, Twyla . Please check on me from time to time...

Meek
Old 08-08-2010, 05:13 AM   #3403

Quote:
Thanks for your help, Twyla . Please check on me from time to time...

Meek
Meek, I'm happy to help you any way I can. K?

And yes, I'll gladly check in on you. I'm glad to hear that you're taking this on, a one-day-at-a-time approach, knowing that it DOES take time to build a lean, strong/sexy body, and learning healthy, lasting eating habits for a lifetime. That's the way, girl.

This isn't just a diet, this is Project Life.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:29 AM   #3404

Yesterday's high day went very well. No bloating last night nor this morning. My workout at the gym was very intense, making good use of my time there. I had already begun having DOMS in my hamstrings last night, and this morning I woke up to DOMS in hams, lats, delts....uh, well, I'm gonna stay tuned, 'cause that party is just starting.

Left the gym, rushed home for a protein shake with blueberries (oh.my.goodness.good), drove back to the football practice field and watched my son practice for the last 20 mins or so. He looked adorable coming off the field, hair dripping with sweat, dirty, grimy, worn out, and starved. Luckily I happened to have my camera in my bag, and I snapped a couple pics of him guzzing water (with gratitude) from MY water bottle I had just refilled before heading to the field. I wanted to hug him, but I know my limits. He was hungry, and wanting a hotdog, so I stopped at a little local place called "Mayberry's" to get his lunch (he waited in the car with the AC on). I'm stinky and a mess, having not showered from my workout earlier, no makeup, hair stringy/messy in a ponytail, but I've arrived at that point in my life when it feels natural to say Firetruck It and keep movin. So as I'm at the counter waiting on his food, a man a few stools down says to me, "Great food, but it takes a little while." Yes. Smile. Then he says, "You must work out all the time, right?" Uh, well, a good bit. "Well, it shows." Thanks. Smiles exchanged. (My spirit once again inspired and galvanized -- rewards.)

Very busy day yesterday, but I did manage to carve about 45 mins for some time in the sun for some D. (And color) Thankfully the oppressive heat from last week had lifted and it was hot, but not too hot. Sunny and pleasant.

Worked most of the day on transcripts otherwise.

Today begins a three-day stretch of low days, and Wednesday will be a medium high day. I have a very busy week ahead in trial, so hopefully I can at least get in some cardio most mornings. If things go well, I'll go Monday night to the gym, then not again until Friday or Saturday.

My totals include everything exept: Celery w/fiesta dip, topping off one slice of pizza, and a (big) handful of Stacy's Pita Chips -- my "indulgences," everything else clean carbs. So I likely had around 300-325 ish on carbs, and 2300 cals avg.

TOTALS:

CALS......1987
PROT........135
CARBS.......256
FIBER.........25
FAT...........45

10 MINS CARDIO WARMUP A.M.
1 HR 15 MINS TRAINING: LB, DELTS, token BICEPS A.M.
15 MINS SS CARDIO late PM (to wake up from proofreading)

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 08-08-2010 at 05:52 AM..
Old 08-08-2010, 06:49 AM   #3405
Big Yapper!!!!

What a spirit lifter when some stranger comes up to you with such a great complement!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 02:12 AM   #3406

Sunday went well. Managed to take some time away from transcripts to lie in the sun and get in some cardio. I was hoping to get caught up, but last night at 10:30 I threw in the white flag. I was sleepy and wanted rest.

I noticed my hunger and satiety was very controlled all day. I kept it to VLC without a hitch.

DOMS were VERY noticeable all day from Saturday's workout, glutes, hams, post delts and traps area most noticeable, though I feel that total body had been adequately challenged.

Going for a power walk/run this morning. I hear a distant train whistle blowing this morning--love that--as I'm having my YUMMY coffee. It beckons me to the morning solitiude.

Bring on the new day.

TOTALS SUNDAY:

CALS............1300
PROT..............147
CARBS..............28
FIBER.................8
FAT..................73

CARDIO:

18 MINS ELLIPTICAL, A FEW INTERVALS
15 MINS TURBO JAM W/GLOVES

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 08-09-2010 at 02:13 AM..
Old 08-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #3407

Twyla, I love reading your journal. You are such an inspiration! Have a great week!
Old 08-10-2010, 02:03 AM   #3408

Quote:
Twyla, I love reading your journal. You are such an inspiration! Have a great week!
Meek, what a rewarding compliment.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:24 AM   #3409

Another busy Monday, start to finsih. No down time whatsoever. Began the day with an invigorating power walk w/running intervals--rather long intervals, but I thought WTH, my knee was not bothering me and I had a good bit of energy spillover from Saturday's carb up, so I took advantage of that window.

I'm having my hair chemically straigtened after work today, so that means no sweating or gym time till Friday evening at the earliest, so I decided to get to the gym after work for some training. Again, good energy, and I did higher intensity supersets, but challenged myself with heavier weight on the last set of most exercises, just not as many reps.

I was a little amused during my warmup. There was a young woman, at least 20 yrs younger than I, on the treadmill in front of me. I glanced at her clock, and she'd been at it for about 10 mins, and I could not believe how SSSSSLLLLLOOOOOWWWWW she was walking.

At first glance I thought she was winding down, ready to stop. Not. That was her pace. I thought to myself: I would have to use mental concentration to force myself to move that slowly. And then I think, ok, she's here why? She's here to get exercise. (And to watch TV) Yes. Right. Okay. I see. Allllrightee then. (clears throat) I noticed she pretty much remained in that mode for the rest of her stay at the gym.

I wish her the best.

I had a protein shake when I arrived home, more transcribing, then ate a turkey burger for a late dinner and crashed into bed.

This morning is TJ Cardio party, so I'm gonna switch to med carbs for today, and then taper the rest of the week to low carb, since I won't be working out. I think my body could use some recovery days anyway.

TOTALS MONDAY:

CALS...........1599
PROT.............194
CARBS.............62
FIBER..............11
FAT.................67

40 MINS RUN/WALK INTERVALS A.M.
10 MINS CARDIO WARMUP - PM
45 MINS TRAINING: BICEPS, TRICEPS, BACK, ABS - PM

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 08-10-2010 at 02:26 AM..
Old 08-10-2010, 03:07 AM   #3410

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Kim, that is too sweet.

'm taking my little personal clip-on fan to work with me this morning. I take it along on vacation because there are no fans in the workout room there, and it gets very muggy/stagnant. This baby is traveling with me today.

[/FONT]
thankgoodness for the trusty little fan. Our A/C is out on the main level (of our 3 level home) thankgoodness for my lttle fan.

I had to giggle at your turtle comment.. some people walk soooooooooooo slow and then are HOLDING ON! errr.. might as well not be on the darn thing! (im not talking those impaired here)
Old 08-10-2010, 06:26 AM   #3411

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
thankgoodness for the trusty little fan. Our A/C is out on the main level (of our 3 level home) thankgoodness for my lttle fan.

My deepest sympathies.

I had to giggle at your turtle comment.. some people walk soooooooooooo slow and then are HOLDING ON! errr.. might as well not be on the darn thing! (im not talking those impaired here)

Old 08-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #3412
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: btinc
Old 08-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #3413
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunny Beach
Stats: 183/166.5/143
WOE: Low-carb + IF
Start Date: August 2010
Hi Twyla I'm a total newbie here, I hope you don't mind me posting in your journal... I just wanted to say that I'm so impressed - and inspired! - by your commitment to your health and fitness. And of course, it goes without saying that you look fantastic! I want arms like that!

Sunny
Old 08-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #3414

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinc View Post
The man of few words.

(Thank you!)
Old 08-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #3415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Beach View Post
Hi Twyla I'm a total newbie here, I hope you don't mind me posting in your journal... I just wanted to say that I'm so impressed - and inspired! - by your commitment to your health and fitness. And of course, it goes without saying that you look fantastic! I want arms like that!

Sunny
Hi, Sunny...And no, I don't mind at all.....afterall, I ...uh... I kind of crashed into YOUR party this morning....:blush: No one needs permission to visit my journal

That's what this place is all about, LCF, that F is for FRIENDS.

Thank you for your kind comments.

Visit often and we'll keep EACH OTHER inspired.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #3416

Today was supposed to be a medium day in rotations, but ended up more of a low-medium, but that's okay. When I'm tied up in trial, I can't always control my environment. But it's better to err on the low side than on the high side I guess. Still gonna keep it to low until Saturday.

Just returned home from my straightening appointment....2.5 hrs. Yikes. But so worth it.

Headed to bed soon....(what?...didn't I just leave for work a minute ago?)

TOTALS:

CALS...........1691
PROT............184
CARBS............87
FIBER.............21
FAT................75

40 MINS TJ CARDIO A.M.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #3417
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunny Beach
Stats: 183/166.5/143
WOE: Low-carb + IF
Start Date: August 2010
Hey, thanks Twyla I will definitely be checking on your journal! Thanks again for the encouragement...

P.S. I just noticed that you've got something like my signature quote a few pages back in your journal! This is one of my favourite quotes...

Last edited by Sunny Beach; 08-10-2010 at 11:41 PM..
Old 08-11-2010, 02:18 AM   #3418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Beach View Post
Hey, thanks Twyla I will definitely be checking on your journal! Thanks again for the encouragement...

P.S. I just noticed that you've got something like my signature quote a few pages back in your journal! This is one of my favourite quotes...

Good Morning, Sunny. (Great user name)

Yes, you're right...there's a lot of integrity in that quote, huh? And it IS all about choosing. Choices. Tempering our choices with discipline.

It's rare that we make a bad choice, whether it be choosing bad/wrong foods, or putting off exercise, and then later, when the dust settles (reality hits), we say to ourselves: Wow, I'm glad I made that choice.

Discipline has to hurt a little at times. But it's so worth it when we realize our rewards for it.

I've always said -- as YOU said in your recent post -- that the best way to master discipline is one step at a time, one day at a time, one lesson at a time.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:38 AM   #3419
Big Yapper!!!!

T...I bet your hair is looking beautiful and sleek I wish someone here did that but they dont not as far as I know, have a great day.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:21 AM   #3420

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted_by_food View Post
T...I bet your hair is looking beautiful and sleek I wish someone here did that but they dont not as far as I know, have a great day.
Yes, TBF, it has spoiled me, this keratin treatment. Add that to my list of gotta-have-its.

Hope your day is rewarding as well.
Closed Thread