Start Date: R?P2 start 6/21/11 at 227
me too - hope you are well!
Old 07-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #3303
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Kim & TBF.

Got home from the gym around 5:00. Drank a protein shake and a few mini rice cakes, then decided I'd take a 20-30 min nap. That nap turned into a two-hour nap....the most GLORIOUS nap I've had in a while. Total bliss.

TOTALS:

CALS.......1428 (not including a Carb Master yogurt w/F.O. for dessert)
PROT........154
CARBS........87
FIBER.........17
FAT............55

8 MINS CARDIO WARMUP
40 MINS TRAINING (DELTS, TRICEPS, ABS)
22 MINS HIIT
Old 07-12-2010, 07:10 AM   #3304

Today will be a cardio/callanetics day. I began the day with a 45-min power walk (with jogging intervals -- screw the knee issue!), and the plan is to do my Callanetics when I get home from work today.

The usual serenity and solitue of my morning power walk was somewhat interrupted this morning, as I began noticing more and more traffic near the entrance to the golf club (my halfway mark in my first lap). Then I remembered it's Day One of the WV Open Championship......so rather than dodge the eager-beaver golfers, I'll avoid that section of my morning walks for this week and re-route my circuit.

If I didn't have to work today, I'd love spending more time taking a long walk in the rain. Sometimes rain brings a kind of clarity to our thoughts and attitude, washing away the debris that clogs our perspective and emotional vision. I'm rather tired of the glaring, hot sun for a while anyway.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:21 AM   #3305

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Whole Foods. No Sugar
Twyla, have a good day!!
Old 07-13-2010, 02:36 AM   #3306

Last few days I've been extraordinarily tired. Can't seem to get enough sleep. I don't take naps as a rule, but I do when my body needs it, and I listen for those signals. But the last three days or so, my body has been craving sleep. It makes me wonder if it has to do with all that I've gone through since Mom's passing, what I'm still going through.

I feel I'm in somewhat of an emotional paralysis. It's somewhat unnerving.

I took a nap after work yesterday (another nap?), and then did an hour of Super Callanetics, which felt so wonderful.

I tracked MOST of my food yesterday, but forgot a thing or two. Keeping it to low carbs for the rest of the week until Saturday. My carbs Monday were under 45, about 10 grams of that fiber.

Monday's workouts: 45 mins cardio a.m.; close to one hour of Super C after work. Lots of stretching, focus on hamstrings, throughout the day.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:46 AM   #3307
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tempted_by_food
Stats: 233/164/140
WOE: HHCG Rogue Style....
Start Date: restart: 7/13/2009
T...Your doing the right thing by listening to your body and resting! I hope your energy is back in full force soon Have a great Tuesday!
Old 07-13-2010, 06:52 AM   #3308
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lola001
Stats: 68.2/67.1/50
WOE: Atkins 72 post preggy
Start Date: begin 15 April 2009
hi Twyla - I know its very late but I am so sorry to hear about your mum's passing. Sorry that you are hurting honey.
All that I can say is i got so caught up in the dramas of my own life that I was not paying attention to others around me. Thanks for the congratulations.

At least Summer is now here (for you guys in the States). Enjoy the longer days. It is still Winter out here.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:35 AM   #3309

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted_by_food View Post
T...Your doing the right thing by listening to your body and resting! I hope your energy is back in full force soon Have a great Tuesday!

Quote:
TBF, I guess those naps (and some serious stretching) did my body wonders.
All told, I likely spent about 15-20 mins total throughout the day stretching my lower body, esp hamstrings and quads. Nice, easy, lonnnnnggggg stretches, no bouncing. Of course, as you know, one ALWAYS feels like a new person following a Callanetics workout, so Callanetics combined with other stretching throughout the day; combined with my nap after work, all seemed to do me a world of good this morning.

Had a great cardio workout this morning. Went out for my morning power walk, and after a five min warmup, began jogging intervals, 1 min jogging to 2 mins power walking -- AND !!!! -- hardly any pain in my knee at all. Far loose, more elastic, less tightness, etc. Kept this up for 40 mins, and at the end of the workout, I spent 5 mins stretching again.

Thanks to "JustKim," who I've PM'd about "plica" syndrome, it got me to thinking about what I could do conservatively and proactively to avoid knee surgery. I researched the subject more after PM'g with JustKim, and found lots of very helpful, eye-opening info.

All of this lead me to thinking back to when I was running (2008 & 2009) pain free, and wondering what changed -- other than getting older -- from when I was running without issues to in the last several months having many pain episodes with virtually any kind of higher impact and/or plyo and lateral movement.

There is one thing that clicked: Callanetics. In 2008 I was doing Callanetics (which promotes flexibility and elasticity) 2-3 x a week, in addition to my running and weight training. By the end of 2009, I was doing less of Callanetics overall. 2010 is when I noticed the pain in my knee.

I don't know if it will prove to be this simplistic -- Lord, I hope so! -- but it's worth paying attention to. From now on, NO LESS than two one-hour sessions of Callanetics per week, and stretching mandatory before and after all workouts, cardio and weights. I'll begin logging my time I've spent stretching on any given day to make myself accountable.

This is noteworthy.

The experiment begins. With any luck, and tons of persistence, I may avoid knee surgery afterall.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #3310

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola001 View Post
hi Twyla - I know its very late but I am so sorry to hear about your mum's passing. Sorry that you are hurting honey.
All that I can say is i got so caught up in the dramas of my own life that I was not paying attention to others around me.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #3311
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eggshell1970
Stats: 20/11-12/6
Hugs Lady ... Been thinking of you! I started TurboFire yesterday... such a great workout.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:22 AM   #3312

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggshell1970 View Post
Hugs Lady ... Been thinking of you! I started TurboFire yesterday... such a great workout.

Look
at
YOU!

I love that hairstyle on you, girl!

Okay. I want details on the TurboFire.
Not monosyllabic crap.
Full scoop.

Got that?
Old 07-14-2010, 02:31 AM   #3313

Tuesday was a good day. I seemed to be emotionally "wrapped," if you will, a little less fragile, a little stronger.

Another low carb higher fat day. A little hungrier yesterday than the day before. The hunger didn't hit until later in the evening, after singing. All that singing must have worked up an appetite.

Many errands were on the agenda for yesterday. All accomplished.

Making a note to my journal about my love affair with my B2B blender. Oh, how I love that blender. It's paid for itself a million times over. I have a shake every day, at least one. I've tried all kinds of concoctions, and it blends them easily, quickly, perfectly.

I tried Protein Icecream for the first time on Monday, and it was so yummy. ICECREAM.....I SCREAM ...as in REALLY scream...for ice cream, and now I can have it legally.

Busy evening yesterday, but managed to get in about 10 mins+ of stretching. Today I'll try to get in some upper body work today along with my cardio. And MORE stretching.

TOTALS

CALS.........1870
PROT..........192
CARBS..........61
FIBER...........17
FAT............100

40 MINS POWER WALKING w running intervals
15 MINS TOTAL, STRETCHING

Old 07-14-2010, 03:10 AM   #3314
Big Yapper!!!!

I hope the extra session of callanetics makes a bit difference and saves you from surgery anythings worth a shot right!! Bet you felt good with the intervals yesterday there is just something about feeling free while running, you cant beat it. legal ice cream
Old 07-14-2010, 07:53 AM   #3315

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Our resolve intensifies the more we use it, the more we put it to the test. And to the contrary, the more we make excuses, the easier it becomes to give in and ignore what has to be done to get the job done. Positive feeds positive. Negative feeds negative.

Even baby steps are a positive course of action. Keep moving forward. Our resolve has memory.

Make a list today of all the POSITIVE things you do for yourself, all the positive thoughts you think. Let them surpass the negative and at the end of the day, you win, even if it's only a SMALL victory.
Nourishment for the mind, because winning begins in the mind.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:27 AM   #3316

Good morning, Journal.

Happy to report that my knee continues to feel improvement, less tightness, stiffness, and far less tenderness in general. I've been stretching morning, noon and after all workouts. So far, this seems to be helping tremendously.

Decided to switch to LB training yesterday afternoon at the gym, because I want to do LB again on Saturday, and that will give me a couple days recovery. I'm avoiding lunges for a week or so, to give this stretching extra time to make a difference in my knee w/o undue stress. So yesterday's workout was LB and triceps (Smith squats, modified Smith squats---to work hamstrings, deadlifts, ab/ad cables, leg press, ham/lower back work on the hyper extension bench, and three diff exercises for triceps).

Today, if I have time to get there after work, I'll work biceps, back and delts; Callanetics on Friday, back to gym on Saturday for full body.

Once at the gym, I always seem to lose track of time when lifting. I get so lost in the RUSH of endorphins and the pump effect on my body, that time flies by fast and I find myself saying: The clock, Twyla, the clock! Time to go home.

TOTALS: (Not including a chicken wrap that I had for lunch at Steak Escape, sans half of the wrap)

CALS..........1503
PROT............122
CARBS.............54
FIBER..............14
FAT.................94

40 MINS CARDIO P/W w intervals
5 MINS STRETCHING
8 MINS CARDIO WARMUP (P.M.)
45 MINS LB AND TRICEPS
5 MINS STRETCHING

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 07-15-2010 at 02:30 AM..
Old 07-15-2010, 02:41 AM   #3317
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweettooth
Hi T!

I was catching up with your journal in these days... and read about your Mum. I'm really so sorry about that...
I lost my father 6 years ago, and I can tell you that even if pain has gone away, there are days in which I still feel orphan and grief comes out once again... I'm sure your faith in God will help you coping with your sorrow, and I'm sure she's resting in peace after a long life lived at its fullest!
Hope time will heal soon your soul... Have a nice day!
Ellie
Old 07-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #3318
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: workingmomof3
Stats: 227/209/145 then we'll see
WOE: hcg
Knee issues

Twyla - I've been nursing a bad knee since February - would you mind sharing your stretching, etc.. routine - would be great I've been going to PT for a couple of weeks - and it has been 1 step forward, 2 back, 2 steps forward, 1 back...etc...

Thanks,

Kim
Old 07-15-2010, 07:41 AM   #3319

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettooth View Post
I was catching up with your journal in these days... and read about your Mum. I'm really so sorry about that...
I lost my father 6 years ago, and I can tell you that even if pain has gone away, there are days in which I still feel orphan and grief comes out once again... I'm sure your faith in God will help you coping with your sorrow, and I'm sure she's resting in peace after a long life lived at its fullest!
Hope time will heal soon your soul... Have a nice day!
Ellie

Yes, Ellie, I think you’re right on the pain we experience when we lose someone, the fleeting nature of it. Here one day, gone the next, resurfacing like a tidal wave out of nowhere, unforeseen. The force of it can be overwhelming at times, when we least expect it.

I guess it’s just human nature, a typical response to losing someone.

I appreciate your words of comfort to me.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #3320

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingmomof3 View Post
Twyla - I've been nursing a bad knee since February - would you mind sharing your stretching, etc.. routine - would be great I've been going to PT for a couple of weeks - and it has been 1 step forward, 2 back, 2 steps forward, 1 back...etc...

Thanks,

Kim
Kim, sorry to hear about your knee injury/pain. It's very annoying, isn't it? I'm assuming your PT has helped SOME, but that you have relapses? Is that right?

As for my approach, it's basically just lots of hamstring and quad stretching, static stretches to lengthen the muscle and help to increase range of motion. They're gradual stretches, no bouncing, and held for 45-60 seconds per stretch.

The stretching encompasses many of the stretches that are utilized in Callanetics: leg extended in front of you, foot supported, bending at the waist till chest is on the thigh and holding that position; sitting on the floor, legs spread to a V, hinging at the waist as low as you can go toward the center, hold; then gently to the right, hold; then to the left, all very gentle 45-60 secs.

My routine also includes standing quad stretches, Good Morning stretches, lying hamstring stretches, and glute stretches (these are shown in the video links below). Hope this helps a little. You may already be doing most of these anyway.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 07-15-2010 at 08:10 AM..
Old 07-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #3321
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: workingmomof3
Stats: 227/209/145 then we'll see
WOE: hcg
thank you so much! Gonna watch right now!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #3322
Big Yapper!!!!

Happy friday T!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #3323

Kim, You're most welcome.

Backatcha, TBF.

Just finished a yummy protein shake for lunch, and I've planned to take my son and a buddy to one of two places: the pool, or to see "Despicable Me." There is rain in the forecast, and the pool we would go to is a bit pricey, so rather than waste money on the pool should it rain, I say we go to the movies. So that's likely the plan.

My shake today:

1 scoop van whey protein
1 Tbs Syntha-6 Caramel Latte
1 Tbs nat PB
2 oz fat-free cottage cheese
1/2 packet of Stevia
lots of ice

Very yummy.

My workouts today were 45 mins Super Callanetics and 30 mins of cardio, elliptical, S/S.

Downloaded some new tunes today. A few of these are fresh inspiration while doing cardio:

"Run" - Snow Patrol
"Me Against the Music" - Britney Spears ..and Madonna
"Killing Time" (remix) - Paul Oakenfold
"Summertime" - Sonicbloom

Quote of the day:

"Our voice resonates with life.
Because this is so, it can touch the lives of others.
The caring and compassion imbued in your voice finds passage to the listener's soul,
striking his or her heart
and causing it to sing out;
the human voice summons something profound from deep within,
and can even compel a person into action."

Old 07-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #3324
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eggshell1970
Stats: 20/11-12/6
Turbofire is a real high intensity Turbo Jam with some kicking to it and plyo. You do 30 min, 45 min, 55 min and 60 min sessions of Fire and then you do sessions of HIIT 15 and 20 on opposite days. I tell you I have never sweat so much in my life. My wood floors had sweat all over them. It is Chalenes enthusiasm and she dont let you quit she talks you thru it all. I have to say I was completely out of breath on some of the warmups lol... The music is more up to date and bouncy to me. Her sister is in the videos and I have had the opportunity to make friends with her on facebook and speak with her and she is so friendly. I have to say after p90x and getting the tone I was wanting I am now working to get the fat layer to budge and it is finally. Now I will say I have to have a energy snack or i bonk out on the longer workouts. And shoes are so important cause I had blisters starting. Its a fantastic workout and has mods for knee issues which helps me too sometimes. I burnt 212 cals in 15 mins of this workout.. and on the 55 min i burnt 658 cals. I am trying to get my eating back in order and i hope this all makes things happen in the right way for me. I do know working out makes me a happier person inside even when i feel like cursing at the tv while working out lol...
Old 07-17-2010, 04:58 AM   #3325

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggshell1970 View Post
Turbofire is a real high intensity Turbo Jam with some kicking to it and plyo. You do 30 min, 45 min, 55 min and 60 min sessions of Fire and then you do sessions of HIIT 15 and 20 on opposite days. I tell you I have never sweat so much in my life.......
Wow, ES, that sounds fabulous! Good for you in pushing through and getting the job done! I appreciate your taking the time to explain the workout to me, giving me your feedback, etc. I gotta admit, using the word "plyo" at the beginning of your review made me a little skeptical, but then reading on I saw where you mentioned that modifications are offered for people with knee issues. Hmmm. Will definitely keep this workout in mind.

Right now, I need to put the brakes on purchasing other fitness equipment, DVD's, etc. The gym membership at this new gym I belong to is a little pricey, but so far it's worth it to me. And simply trying to fund all of Gavin's supplements and protein and such () as he readies himself for the fall football season, ouch........

Still, there are times when (as is my nature/personality) I love being alone, away from the crowds, from anyone, and just do my own thing in the peace and solitude of my own home. I'm thinking of all the reviews I've read so far on the more popular workout programs, when/if I DO purchase a new addition to my library, it will likely be the TurboFire. I too love Chalene's enthusiasm, and I'm more interested in a "cardio" program to supplement what I do than strength training, since I prefer getting that done at the gym or in my garage.

Hope you have a great weekend, girl.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #3326

I posted this on another thread/board, but it belongs here as well, considering how important my beloved water bottle is to me and its relevance in my fitness journey.

I get attached to things very easily. Pens, coffee mugs, water bottles, CD's, certain wines, candles, lip liners.......to name a few.

So making my journal debut, my water bottle fettish:

Quote:
This is my all-time favorite water bottle. I carry it with me everywhere I go. No, it doesn't keep water cold, but it has lots of other redeeming qualities:

See-through
Easy to open with one hand
Easy to close with one hand
Wide mouth for ice and easy cleaning
Easy to carry with no hands (slip it on my finger while my hands are busy carring other stuff)

Love it, love it, love it. I'm on my second one. I'll buy another if this one bites the dust.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #3327

Updating Saturday:

It rained this morning. It was so pleasant, sitting on the porch in the rain. That was a great start to my day.

I had a low sugar Detour bar and a thin bagel with coffee, and about two hours later headed to the gym. Did not go with LB (still having DOMS from earlier in the week and from Callanetics on Friday), so worked delts, back, biceps, abs and 3 sets of sumo squats. Stretching. Cardio.

Spent some time in the sun today, reading. It was very hot, so I'd spray myself down with water every so often.

It's quiet now. My family is gone, and I'm alone. It's all good. I get some me time. Always look foward to ME time.

It's been a good day. Carbed up a bit, close to 175 carbs or so. I'll back down to LC tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be an all cardio day. If I wake early enough, I'll do power walking with jogging intervals. My knee seems to have improved slightly more each day.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #3328
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jamistar77
Stats: 150/142/137 or 15% body fat 5'7"
WOE: Body For Life/TKD
Start Date: 09/2009
Hi T!! Its been a long time since I've come by to see ya! I love you avi pic, You are simply breath taking! Such a kind heart and spirit.
I am so sad to hear about your mother.. sorry this is so belated, I had no idea.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamistar77 View Post
Hi T!! Its been a long time since I've come by to see ya! I love you avi pic, You are simply breath taking! Such a kind heart and spirit.
I am so sad to hear about your mother.. sorry this is so belated, I had no idea.
Hello there, Ms. Jami. Thank you on the avatar, but mercy, you should talk. You've certainly earned the right to strut your new hard body in YOURS! Congrats and kudos to you for your continued hard work and focus on your goals.

Thank you for your condolences re my mom. My heart aches with missing her, more than I can even put into words. Good days and bad days, all to be expected.

Glad you stopped by my journal.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #3330

I've been visited once again by an overwhelming emptiness. It hit, customarily, out of nowhere, no warning, a frustrating ebb and flow of mixed emotions, suffocating the deepest part of my soul.

I want to run and hide from it, but there is nowhere to run to. I know I have to face my emotions head on. Look life and reality straight on, not flinch, not fight, but deal with it to truly overcome and get through it.

I slept late this morning, partly because of fatigue and need for rest, partly because I wanted to run away. Hide. Shut down. Push away from everything and everyone.

It has gotten easier. Calm has taken over as the day has progressed.

I decided it was a good day for Callanetics, the empowering it gives me along with the undeniable sense of relaxation and purging. I followed up with about 15 mins of light cardio on my elliptical. I took a nap late afternoon.

I'm feeling much better now. The storm seems to have passed. I made it through.

TOTALS FOR TODAY:

CALS..........1274
PROT............171
CARBS............44
FIBER.............15
FAT................50

50 MINS SUPER CALLAN
15 MINS CARDIO, SS
Closed Thread