Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2007, 06:50 AM   #301
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
TUESDAY JUL 24

Well, even though I'd planned on squeezing in 15 mins of cardio last night, it didn't happen.

My two teenage sons wanted to play cards on the back porch with my husband and I, and I just think when there's an opportunity to spend QUALITY/FUN time with your kids, you need to do it. So I put my selfish me-time on the back burner and enjoyed playing cards. We laughed so hard -- it was a great thing.

So yesterday's workout was 1 hour of Super Callan.

This morning, my butt/legs were more sore than usual. It fascinates me that this workout STILL "works" me like it does, even after all this time. That has to say something for Callanetics. Given this soreness, I don't think I should do any lower body for at least another day or two, and just stick to cardio and upper body.

Here were my totals for yesterday:

Cals 1809

Prot Gr 168 (38%)
Carb Gr 70 Net 53 (14%)
Fiber Gr 17
Fat Gr 98 (49%)

Not what I'd aimed for (due to Sunday's overeating), but it's supposedly 20% less than my TDEE, so I guess I'm good.

Other than feeling bloated, either from Sunday's eats or muscle-recovery stuff, I feel good.

Hoping for a loss on Friday.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2007, 10:26 AM   #302
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JSky1001
Stats: 175/169/130
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: Restarted 4/7/2014
Hi Twyla! Just checking in to see how you're doing and I have to say I LOVE the new picture of you on the beach! You look totally happy and relaxed and healthy. You're definitely doing something right!

Take care,

J.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:54 PM   #303

[COLOR="Teal"]Hey, J! [/COLOR]

You've been AWOL, girl!

Thank you for the nice comments....Don't be a stranger. You were a huge help for me back a few months ago.

We all learn from each other.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:59 PM   #304

WEDNESDAY JUL 25

[COLOR="Olive"]I DON'T THINK I'VE BEEN THIS EXCITED ABOUT GETTING ON THE SCALE IN MANY, MANY MONTHS......[/COLOR]

Friday should be very telling. Love that analysis thang!

Yesterday's eats:

Cals 1691

Prot GR 187 44%
Carb GR 104 80 net 24%
Fiber GR 24
Fat GR 66 35%

Sort of hungry when I went to bed, but not bad.

I CANNOT seem to go below 1600. Just can't do it.

Whatever.

I'll re-evaluate after Friday's weigh in.

Feel good regardless.

Yesterday's workout was 45 mins of Turbo Jam.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:44 PM   #305
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JSky1001
Stats: 175/169/130
Start Date: Restarted 4/7/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
[COLOR="Teal"]Hey, J! [/COLOR]

You've been AWOL, girl!

Thank you for the nice comments....Don't be a stranger. You were a huge help for me back a few months ago.

We all learn from each other.

I did go AWOL. I was....busy. But I'm back and focused on my next stage so LET'S ROCK! Here's to kickin' it up a notch!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:00 AM   #306

FRIDAY JUL 27

Very. Frustrating. Weigh in today, and no loss.

I'm aching pretty much ALL OVER, my muscles. I have to wonder if it's extra fluid because of that.

The day before yesterday I was on a job, stuffed in a crampy room, and went 3.5 hrs with nothing to drink, and had only had 1 bottle of water earlier in the morning. That evening, I was getting muscle cramping, so I knew I was very dehydrated.

I was going to Super Callan this morning, but honestly, my muscles had a voice, begging me not to. I listened. I did 45 mins of cardio, and that helped to raise my endorphins, a much needed fix after the disappointing revelation from the scales.

I have been hungry pretty much all week. My calories have been rather high all week as a result, trying to get/stay full. I think it's time to do some focused carb cycling.

Upping the fats a bit, today through Sunday, easing back on the carbs.

Not giving up. I've felt bloated for a few days now, so I have to wonder if it's not extra water hanging on me.

It's gonna be difficult to not peek at the scale until next Friday.

Inundated with work, and I have a deadline, so I need to get at it again. Just had to take the time to post my feelings/observations for future analyses.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #307
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nolagina
Stats: 236/169/140
Start Date: December 2006
Twyla,

I'm sorry you're having a frustrating time between busy at work, the scale not moving and feeling sore....

I understand about the feeling hungry thing... Hang in there... I know you will... This will pass.... Who knows a big drop is probably just around the corner.

Be good to yourself this weekend... All the power you need is within you and through the grace of God....

Gina
Old 07-28-2007, 05:32 AM   #308

SATURDAY JUL 28

Gina, thank you for checking in on me. I follow you religiously too....so, uh, where ya been? I need your journal....it pumps me up!

This begins my second day of cycling up on fat, down on carbs. I will stay on this cycle through tomorrow, Sunday. Beginning Monday, I will cycle up on carbs to no more than 60 net, and I will keep my fat between 40-50%, but a minimum of 80 grams.

I'm a little encouraged by the fact that my clothes seem a bit looser this week, and the mirror seems to be keeping a smile on its face (), so it must know something I don't. I had tried on some outfits last night, trying to decide what to wear to a wedding out of town this afternoon. I felt more positive when that decision was made and I went to sleep last night.

My muscles feel a bit better this morning, so I'm planning on a Super Callan workout, followed by 20 mins of cardio. I need the cardio right now -- the rush it gives.

Forgot to mention that my beloved Nutiva arrived on Thursday afternoon .... I was tempted to kiss the UPS man. "Nutiva....please! Never leave me again," I exclaimed dramatically, as I dove head first into the jar

Yesterdays ratios:

GRAMS: 140 Pro, 33 net carbs, 129 fat (61%). 20 gr fiber

Gotta run. Zillions of things to do before leaving town.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 07-28-2007 at 05:45 AM..
Old 07-28-2007, 05:48 AM   #309

Posting this recipe here so I'll have access to it wherever I go.....

(Had 1/2 yesterday with coffee, the other just a minute ago, and it's easy/good.)

ONE MINUTE FLAX MUFFIN

1/2 c flax meal
1/2 tsp bkg powder
1 pck Splenda
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 egg
1-2 tsp butter (I used Nutiva)

Mix dry in coffee cup; add the other, mixing well. Nuke for about 50-60 secs.

231 cals P 10, C 8, Fiber 7, Fat 21.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #310
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mmam5
Stats: 150/132 Healthy, 5'4" 45
WOE: UnProcessed please :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Posting this recipe here so I'll have access to it wherever I go.....

(Had 1/2 yesterday with coffee, the other just a minute ago, and it's easy/good.)

ONE MINUTE FLAX MUFFIN

1/2 c flax meal
1/2 tsp bkg powder
1 pck Splenda
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 egg
1-2 tsp butter (I used Nutiva)

Mix dry in coffee cup; add the other, mixing well. Nuke for about 50-60 secs.

231 cals P 10, C 8, Fiber 7, Fat 21.
Twyla - you make me laugh! Glad you're doing well ... you'll get there soon, one day at a time!

I'm just finishing up my first Jar of Nutiva CO - I love it for baking and on toast, etc. of course then I have to lick the spoon or the knife!
Old 07-29-2007, 04:44 PM   #311

Hey, Marci. Yeah, gotta love the Nutiva....It's so No. 1!

Huge revelation on last week's lack of progress on the scale:

TOM reappeared on Saturday morning!

I wasn't due for TOM for TEN MORE DAYS!

That explains last week's insatiable hunger.

That explains no downward movement on the scale -- at least I didn't gain, which is a miracle in itself pre-TOM

And now I just have to deal with its arrival and finish up my low carb high fat cycle (today), beginning the reverse tomorrow (Monday).

NOW I REALLY REALLY REALLY CAN'T WAIT UNTIL FRIDAY'S WEIGH DAY!
Old 07-30-2007, 07:53 AM   #312
Senior LCF Member

Hola!

I'm running low on the coconut oil and need to order more....

My thoughts are with you on the perimenopause issues... I think I'm heading down that road myself... I didn't even have a TOM this month. I think I still have some of the hormonal stuff (why I probably lost only .8 lb).

My thoughts are with you.....

Have a wonderful week.. Friday will be good to you. Friday will be good to you.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:26 PM   #313

MONDAY JUL 30

Exhausted. Very long day in a jury trial and frankly, no energy to post at length.

The heat can make one twice as tired when they're low on energy too. I'll be so glad when autumn gets here. Summer is my least favorite season. I'm not into hot weather AT ALL.

Sticking to plan, exercise/workouts good. Just probably need to get more rest, esp with TOM here again on top of my busy work schedule.

Cals around 1700 today 30%P, 15%C, 57% fat 20 gr fiber

Early morning workout: Upper body - 20 mins; Cardio - 30 mins

I must get in a nap.....heading there now. Thank goodness for AC.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 07-30-2007 at 04:27 PM..
Old 07-31-2007, 04:58 PM   #314

TUES JUL 31

Having read through some other posts of women suffering double TOM's each month, it appears that this will definitely impede steady weight loss efforts.

Great.

It could be worse.

I have far too much TO BE THANKFUL FOR than to start whining about cycles and such.

I will just give thanks that God has blessed me with good health and the ability to make good food choices, to choose to exercise and remain dedicated to personal goals, regardless of the bumps in the road.

If I only lose 2-3 lbs per month, that's still taking off a minimum of 12 lbs in six months.

So I guess I will be glad to reach my goal (again) by Christmas.

In the meantime, I'll track food, learn from my eating habits and my body's reaction to them, and hopefully grow leaner and stronger with my daily workouts.

Today was Super C. Loved every minute of it.

15 mins of cardio in a short while on the elliptical with MP3.

Good eats. Didn't track on ****** throughout the day, but sort of repeating what I ate yesterday.

Too busy to do it all this week.

Looking forward to Friday.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:37 AM   #315
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mmam5
Stats: 150/132 Healthy, 5'4" 45
WOE: UnProcessed please :)
Twyla!

Wait till you get the month's where all the symptoms are there and you get Nothing to show for it! ugghhh

But keeping on top of your eating and exercise will help smooth things out down the road... and yes - could be way worse... my Boss (50 yo heavier woman) has to lay with her feet higher than her head, or it's uncontrolled bleeding

Hope you caught up on your sleep a bit ... I too am more of a "fall" girl now-a-days!
Old 08-02-2007, 09:55 AM   #316

THURS AUG 2

Still in a jury trial, so I'm not as diligent with my journaling details as I'd like.

Yesterday late afternoon while getting up from my office chair, I felt a slight pain in the lateral ligament of my right knee, and as the day wore on, it got progressively more uncomfortable/painful. I took an Advil to help alleviate the pain, didn't do much good. Went to bed with it aching, and decided to get a day of rest from exercise and see how it goes.

Slept in till 6:30 -- on a workday!!! -- and had coffee, got ready, then breakfast. Noticed the knee pain was ever so slight, almost unnoticeable. So whatever it was I did, I hope it continues to subside and I can resume normal activity. Rest must have done it good.

My inner hunger radar tells me that not exercising in the morning has evidently had an effect on my hunger levels. I've eaten 764 calories today, including lunch, and by 1:00 on a normal exercise day, I would be still hungry at this point. My "satiety" isn't quite there, but it's close. I plan to grab a bite before heading back to the courtroom.

Yesterdays eats:

Cals 2003
Pro 143 gr, 28%
Carb 57 gr, 35 net, 9%
Fiber 22
Fat 136 gr, 60%

Yesterday's workout: 30 mins of Turbo Jam, followed by 10 mins of focused ab work, some triceps, some pecs total 55 minutes of workout time

TOM remains.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:00 PM   #317

Well, it's 9:00 p.m., and I've just finished up a late assignment, ready to relax now, but wanted to post an observation.

I've been less hungry today, but I didn't work out today at all.

I'm assuming this isn't a coincidence.

I'm perfectly full at this moment (which lately, hasn't been the case, seem to go to bed a bit hungry lately).

Total calories for the day:

Prot 98
Fat 97
Carbs 45 gross, 28 net
Fiber 17

Hope tomorrow brings happy news.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:48 AM   #318
Senior LCF Member

Twyla,
You've made some interesting observations about exercise and hunger. I wonder if exercise in the morning makes one hungrier throughout the day.

Good for you on sleeping in! Every once in awhile we all need to take a respite.

I hope the scale is bringing positive feedback to you.... Sending good thoughts your way...

You are learning a great deal and making some discoveries about you.

We are wonderous creatures and we are all blessed with so many talents.

Have a wonderful day.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:31 AM   #319

Yes, Gina, I've wondered that as well.

Maybe timing of workouts, instead of always in the morning when it's most convenient, doing a couple workouts in the evening a couple times per week.

I've been accused of pushing too hard, overdoing exercise, not getting enough rest for my body, etc. I can't argue with that for the most part, but I'm both addicted to exercise AND harbour a fear that by not exercising, I'll not burn as many calories and thus will show less progress when trying to lose. I know it's a warped way of looking at it. Maybe it's because it IS an addiction.

I think I need to re-evaluate my workout goals a bit.

Easier said than done.

Well, today was weigh day, and somehow I knew before I got on the scales that it wouldn't show a loss. TOM is still around, so that may be part of the reason.

On a more positive note, I did not GAIN any weight with this cycle of TOM. I've been the same weight now, give or take .2 of a pound, for two weeks. I can count on one hand -- maybe even two fingers? -- the number of times I've not gained with TOM. So that has to account for some measure of "success" with my weight.

I had taken a very analytical view of my ****** for the month of July, and factored into the food logs the comments in my food diary/journal for each day. I noticed a common, interesting thread.

On the days that I ate high fiber foods, mostly during the first 2-3 meals of the day, and more specifically a whole serving of Fiber One, I tended to be less hungry on those days and ate less over the course of the day. Those days also ended up with a lower fat %.

This is the part of BFFM that is meaningful to me: A balance of nutrients.

I think I need to consider eating this way for about a week, not just a day or two here and there, and see what happens.

What have I got to lose? I did not experience any weight gain following the days that I ate the higher fiber, so it didn't cause me to retain water or to crave. I would have noted it in my diary if I had felt that way.

I have done a comparison of several foods, and for 30-45 calories worth of each of those foods, Fiber One was clearly the most fiber-dense of all. This list included green veggies, pinto beans, apples, berries, celery, and steel-cut oats.

Calorie-for-calorie -- and factoring in carbs as well -- Fiber One came out as the winner.

I think the "fiber" is the most crucial element here, as well as the GI of the particular food.

I'm rather fascinated by this "discovery" of last month's ******.

My aim is to try to stay satisfied on 1500-1650 calories on average, not including my refeed/calorie-up days, but just an average of calorie intake.

I will experiment with Fiber One, and some other sources of fiber and/or balanced carb choices, for about a week to see how it goes.

I'm intrigued and hopeful.

This morning's workout was 1 hr of Super Callan, with 2 super-sets of ankle-weighted "donkey" type leg lifts.

Having begun the "fiber experiment" today, I notice that I've only had 39 gr of fat today, at 38%, and I haven't been as hungry all day.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 08-03-2007 at 11:33 AM..
Old 08-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #320

I'm so psyched.

It's 7:45 pm, and I'm well within my calorie quota/goals, and feeling completely satisifed.

I think I'm onto something with this fiber thing!

Today's totals:

Cals 1456
Prot Gr 118 32%
Carbs GR 90 gross, 62 net 24%
Fat Gr 59, 36%
Alcohol 19g, 9%

I've met my protein, carb, fiber and fat gram quotas as well....and feeling so great!

And this even includes wine! I'm very satisifed/balanced.

Am I being overly simplistic?????? Is fiber the key?

Time will tell.

Down .5 lbs this morning. Couldn't resist peeking.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:55 PM   #321

YESTERDAY AUG 3

CALS/GRAM TOTALS:

CAL 1629

PROT GR 145
CARB GR 68 NET
FIBER GR 21
FAT GR 70
Old 08-05-2007, 09:51 AM   #322

SUNDAY AUG 5

Yesterday went very well, eats-wise. Kept the balance all day.

Workout was HipHopAbs Total Body Burn, plus an extra 15 mins of upper body. I'm paying for it this morning. Major DOMS. There are two "sessions" of the HHATBB that I actually had to omit a few reps....the pace, the "punch" of those moves just DRAINS me. This is a good thing!

Yesterday's eats:

Cals 1605

Prot Gr 127 32%
Carbs Gr 95, net grams 66 22%
[COLOR="Sienna"]Fiber Gr 29[/COLOR]
Fat Gr 68 38%
Alcohol Gr 19 8%

[COLOR="sienna"]LOSS FOR THE WEEK: 3.5 LBS (TOM included)[/COLOR]

I give thanks today that for my health, my mind, my body, my family, my faith, my blessings.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 08-05-2007 at 09:52 AM..
Old 08-05-2007, 03:25 PM   #323
Senior LCF Member

Twyla,
Yesterday's numbers look like heaven to me and where I hope to be someday.

Good loss last week!

I indicated that I would get back to you with the information about PP.

The Drs. Eades basis for your protein requirement is calculation of your Lean Body Mass (LBM).

Then you multiply your LBM (97.59) by your activity number (for both of us it would be .7 for ACTIVE - exercise 3-5 times each week for at least 30 minutes)

My LBM is 97.59 lbs.

97.59 *.7= 68.313 THIS IS MY DAILY PROTEIN REQMT - I need to eat at least this much protein daily.

The simplified method to get here is to:
1) Take your weight and multiply by (.8 for lean body; .75 average body; .55 obese)

2) Then apply the .7 activity factor to get your daily protein requirement.

The Eades require that you do not exceed your carbohydrate limit per meal for the phase are you in... So for Phase I - you should not exceed 10g net carbs for that meal. You can't save up carbs... I'm guilty of this sometimes. However, I do try to limit an overages to breakfast/brunch.

3) The Eades recommend good fats - olive oil, nut oils, avocados, unsalted or clarified butter, sardines, cod liver oil.

They do not recommend that most of your protein come from cheeses but cheese should be combined with meat, eggs or tofu to meet your protein requirements.

Please let me know if you need any more information.....
"Crystallize your goals. Make a plan for achieving them and set yourself a deadline. Then, with supreme confidence, determination and disregard for obstacles and other people's criticisms, carry out your plan." Paul Meyer
------------------------------
Gina
Old 08-05-2007, 06:00 PM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Twyla,
One more thing I wanted to share with you that might help you with understanding PP - sample meal plans from the materials I have..

Based on 80g protein requirement and Phase I carb reqmt 7-10g net carbs per meal/snack.

Breakfast:
2 eggs + 2 whites scrambled, 1 oz sugarless ham, 1/2 c bluebereries w/ 2T cream.

Lunch:
4 oz. chicken salad w/ mayo, celery and pecans on a bed of lettuce with 1/2 sliced tomato

Dinner:
4 oz grilled steak; 1/2 c. butter cooked carrots (w/dollop of sour cream) 1/2 c fresh berries

Snack:
2-3 celery stalks with 1 T peanut butter.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:03 PM   #325

SUNDAY AUG 5 EVENING

Another successful day of eats.

Another day of satisifying, balanced meals. No hunger. No cravings. Within my calorie limits, and on target for all macronutrients!

CALS 1616

Prot Gr 163; 41%
Carb Gr 103 gross, 72 net; 23%
[COLOR="Sienna"]Fiber Gr 31[/COLOR]
Fat Gr 70; 38%

Workout: 30 mins elliptical
Old 08-06-2007, 06:07 AM   #326

MONDAY AUG 6

Feeling wonderful this morning. Today was a cardio day, and I felt more energy this morning -- for a Monday, at 5:00 a.m., that's saying something. Lovin it.

Had 1/3 of a Zone bar, 1/4 c Fiber One with 1/2 c fat-free cottage cheese, and 1 T of protein powder stirred in with coffee before workout.

One hour after workout, 1/4 FO with 1/3 c skim milk, an egg, a slice of turkey, half of an LC tortilla, and a T of salsa. Yum.

9:07 a.m., and I feel wonderfully full and balanced.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:41 PM   #327

One thing is for sure, I'm gonna carve my pre and post workouts in stone. They're keepers.

I've had a great day meal wise. I've felt balanced and satisfied all day. HOw many days in a row has it been now? Four? Five?

Will this last?

Today was a cardio day for the most part. I would have thought I would be substantially hungrier than I am. Not so.

I'll probably hang at this level two more days, perhaps, then maybe increase it 200 calories for a couple of days. Or maybe I should increase it starting Friday, since it's the weekend? I'll wait and see.

I'm feeling encouraged. My skinny pants are fitting better than last week!

Today's eats:

Prot Gr 141 ---- 35%
Carbs gross 116, net 86 ---- 26%
Fiber Gr 29
Fat Gr 71 ---- 40%

Old 08-07-2007, 02:49 PM   #328

TUES AUG 7

Super Callanetics at 5:30 this morning.

Had another balanced day eat-wise. Maybe a bit hungrier than yesterday....not sure why. Makes me wonder if something I ate triggered it, or it's just my body doing its thang.

So I ate a little more fat today, mostly in the form of CO.

I'm good.

Might do 15 mins of cardio later this evening when it cools down.

Today's eats by 5:47 pm

1361 Cals

77 fat grams
72 gross carbs
46 net carbs
26 fiber grams
109 protein grams
Old 08-09-2007, 08:50 AM   #329

THURS AUG 9

Yesterday's eats: (High day on carbs/protein, but a bit too much so on fat as well)

CALS 2024

PROT GR 178 (35%)
CARB GR GROSS 130, NET 102 (23%)
FIBER GR 28
FAT GR 95 (42%)

Analyzing, I was a bit high in fat grams, a bit high in protein grams, and high in carb grams, but that was intentional. I just didn't balance the rest of it appropriately.

I got stuck in the courtroom yesterday beyond my hunger signals, and when I had a chance to grab something, I went for quick, and it was the CO Protein Bark, which pushed the fat and protein up a bit, but because it was not "balanced," it didn't last as long as I'd hoped. So I tended to eat more later as well.

I need to remember that on high carb days to take it easy on the fats -- even thought they ARE good fats.

Bottom line, yesterday's meals weren't planned very well.

Yesterday's workouts: 30 mins Hip Hop Abs cardio, 22 mins upper body.

Today I'm back on target so far with eats. Trying really hard to keep it at or below 1700.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #330

This heat is so killing me.

It's turning me into a very grouchy B.

When the B gets grouchy, she likes to eat.

This of course has NOTHING to do with true hunger.

It's a search for comfort, respite, distraction from the irritant (heat).

I have felt bloated for the past two days. Spongy.

Sponge-Body.

Not sure it would be a good idea to weigh tomorrow. What purpose would it serve?

It's more important that I stay on track and stay focused on goals, rather than get p*ssed at a number that doesn't agree with me.

I am blaming this on the heat.

Heat/hot weather and I have never gotten along.

Closed Thread