Thinking of you Twyla

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #3242
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lisa46
Stats: 164/117/128 -- 5'4"
WOE: LC with balance
Start Date: Recommitted 4-18-06
My deepest sympathy to you Twyla. May you find peace in the loving memory of your mom.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #3243
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GardenGirl639
Stats: 229/restart 201/193/145 5'3 3/4"
I am so very, very sorry, Twyla.

I will continue to pray for you.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:14 AM   #3244
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Friday June 25

It is 4:48 a.m. I've been awake for over an hour. Though I went to sleep in an instant last night, exhausted physically and emotionally from the day's events, I awoke sometime after 3:00 am, tossing and turning, thinking of Mom, of the past five plus months with her, of the past several days, remembering, taking it all in. I finally decided to just get up, start my day, and just embrace what my mind and body chooses to do. I'm not tired. I can sleep later today.

I thank all of you who have posted sweet words of comfort to me in my journal. It's such a blessing to me, each word like little angel wings, lifting me up, restoring me. Thank you all so much.

Today is another muggy day (I've stepped outside already to check), and I may go for my morning power walk around 5:30 -- as usual. Lately I've been beginning my day with quasi fasted cardio: 1 tsp nat PB and a cup of coffee. When time has allowed (in the past several days only a couple of times) I follow that with 20-25 mins of weight training, then a post workout shake. Depending on the intensity of the training, I will eat some sort of simple carbs with the shake. I've been paring down my meals to shave off some extra calories, keeping averages for the week at around 1500, then allowing one day of higher cals and carbs for the curve ball.

While on vacation, having the extra time for training, not having to rush and get ready to go to work, I had some rather intense, longer sessions of training following my morning cardio. I fell in love with the elliptical in the resort's weight room, much nicer than my own, and that was my choice each day for cardio. One day of HIIT (not easy with morning fasting).

As a result, in the past four weeks, I've lost four pounds -- despite the one week of being on vacation. I call that success.

With the onslaught of food being brought in from my mother's passing, I've stayed strong with my willpower, choosing carefully, and have continued packing my food in my little cooler when I leave the house each day so that I wouldn't be stuck with bad choices.

My orthopedic doc diagnosed my knee problem as a plica, and says he would like to confirm that with an MRI at some point, and then, if necessary, and if I choose to, surgery to have it "shaved." He says that the surgery will remove the pain and I'll be good to go pretty much. In the meantime, he gave me a cortisone shot, wanting to see what effect it might have in the next few weeks.

He explained that most people choose to just live with the plica syndrome, and just avoid activities that aggravate it, perhaps relying on cortisone shots from time to time to mask the pain and irritation. He acknowledged that I was not "the average person," and that he knows I probably won't be happy avoiding those activities, given my allegiance to fitness and training and cardio.

So I'll need to make a decision at some point in the weeks/months ahead.

Okay. Time for another cup of coffee,
relishing in the sanctity of the morning stillness,
allowing myself to feel, to remember, to accept.

Thanking God for my health, my family, my friends.

I begin another day.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:55 AM   #3245
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lisa46
Stats: 164/117/128 -- 5'4"
WOE: LC with balance
Start Date: Recommitted 4-18-06
I "heart" you. That.Is.All.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:32 AM   #3246
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvsmokymtns
Stats: Highest 257/180/1st Goal 165/145
WOE: Atkins Low Carb
Start Date: Many Moons Ago
Twyla,
Oh my, I am so, so sorry for your loss! That scripture on your post is so true, grieve but not as those who have no hope..

Our HOPE is in the one who took our pain to an old rugged cross.. I pray that Jesus wraps His arms around you and your whole family drawing you close to Him. HE is taking care of your mom now and she is feeling no pain !!

Twyla, I don't think that I have ever posted on your blog but have lurked for many years......soaking in your drive and determination! It's always a blessing to read your journal.. thank you !

Psalms 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble

My Journal
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/blogs/luvsmokymtns/

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.
Proverbs 3:5-7
Old 06-25-2010, 11:32 AM   #3247
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Janetmay
Twyla - I found your blog when trying to find some more information about callanetics and read it often. Although I have never posted I have always admired your dedication to your exercise routine.
I wish you and your family well at this sad time in your lives and hope you find comfort in your memories. May your mother rest in peace.

Jan.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #3248
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: pixiegirl01
Stats: 155/122(134)/119 - 5'2" (43YO)
WOE: Low Carb Babyyyyyyy!
Start Date: 04/17/2006
Twyla, I'm not on much anymore, but strolled by and discovered this news.

I'm so sorry for your loss. May peace be with you. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:23 PM   #3249
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eggshell1970
Stats: 20/11-12/6
Twyla, I am so sorry for your loss. Prayers are with you and your family. May peace be your guidance right now. Hugs my friend.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #3250
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debbi
Stats: 297/157/137
WOE: low carb
Thank you for the kind words. My heart and prayers are with you and your family. Someone reminded me once that just because my Mother is not physically here she is still with me and always will be...I still speak to her everyday. A Mother's love and the bond you share will remain for all eternity........
Old 06-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #3251

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Old 06-26-2010, 05:29 AM   #3252

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsmokymtns View Post
Twyla,
Oh my, I am so, so sorry for your loss! That scripture on your post is so true, grieve but not as those who have no hope..

Our HOPE is in the one who took our pain to an old rugged cross.. I pray that Jesus wraps His arms around you and your whole family drawing you close to Him. HE is taking care of your mom now and she is feeling no pain !!

Twyla, I don't think that I have ever posted on your blog but have lurked for many years......soaking in your drive and determination! It's always a blessing to read your journal.. thank you !

Psalms 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble
Cheryl, it's so nice to meet you, and it always brings a smile to see new friends stop by my journal. Thank you for your kind words of comfort to me. You're right, His Everlasting Arms are exactly the right fit for us at this time as we miss her, but she is whole again. That's what matters most.

Hugs and blessings to you.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:31 AM   #3253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janetmay View Post
Twyla - I found your blog when trying to find some more information about callanetics and read it often. Although I have never posted I have always admired your dedication to your exercise routine.
I wish you and your family well at this sad time in your lives and hope you find comfort in your memories. May your mother rest in peace.

Jan.
Jan, it's nice that you stopped by my journal. I'm glad you've found the magic in Callanetics too!

Thank you for your kind thoughts and words of comfort.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:56 AM   #3254

Lisa, Angie, Eggshell, Debbi, and Lisa......really big ones. Love you all.

Today is Saturday. Amazingly, having gotten up at 3:30 a.m. or so on yesterday morning, I thought sure I'd crash mid afternoon in desperate need of a nap, but someone had to have slipped something into my protein shake..????.... I just kept going. Yes, by 9:30 pm, I was getting tired, but considering the events of the day, it should have happened long before that.

It was a beautiful day as we celebrated her life at a private family graveside burial. Difficult, but beautiful. I gathered the grace and courage to read a letter my eldest son had written to her from Japan, and I placed it with her at the burial. The family later celebrated as we all joined together at her house for a meal, memories, laughter, comforting, togetherness. It was a memory that would have brought her great joy. Missed hearing her voice and laughter, so painfully obvious, but her spirit was with us and will live in our hearts forever.

Later in the afternoon my son and I went to HIS gym. It was my first time there. He convinced my husband to buy me a membership there for my birthday. I'd been too busy to go lately with Mom's issues.

Wow. WHAT.A.GYM. It's the Real Thing. The Y always seemed like more of a social club to me. You'd have one or two there who would put their mind to their workouts, but not in general. This place, as I've heard others say, is far more "hard core." I was intimidated at first. It's huge, lots of equipment, weights, etc., but Gavin showed me the ropes, taught me a lot of stuff I didn't know (What? Has he been holding out on me?????), and I had a fabulous glute/ham/delt workout. Great fun. Looking forward to my next visit, and getting to know the owners and the other members there. I'm certain this is indeed the right FIT for me. Just wished they were open earlier. They don't open till 6:00 a.m., so I'll have to work in my weight training there sometime in the evenings. That may take some creative thinking. But it will be worth the sacrifice and effort, no question.

I've not been able to track the last couple of days. I need to try to get back on focus with that. My obsessive M.O. is taunting me.

Today we'll attend a memorial service in honor of my mother, at her church, and a dinner will follow for the family. Oh.no. Another dinner. It's all good. I am making wise choices. I look forward to the time with my family as we remember her.

Slept in later this morning. Obviously it was needed.

WORKOUTS FRIDAY:

40 MINS CARDIO (power walk, with a few jogging intervals, a.m.)
60+ MINS at the gym, focusing on glutes/hams/delts
Old 06-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #3255
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: workingmomof3
Stats: 233/228/155
WOE: JUDD/starting 5/5/14 officially
Twyla... so sorry

Kim
Old 06-28-2010, 02:20 AM   #3256

Kim, Thank you.

Monday June 28

Busy day yesterday. Was able to catch up on sleep and take a nice nap in the early afternoon. Incredibly hot/muggy weather, which brought about a big storm around 6:00 p.m., and we lost power for almost three hours.

Gavin and I went to the gym together earlier in the afternoon. He showed me three more machines I'd never used before. Yesterday was a back/biceps/triceps day for me. I don't usu work biceps and triceps on the same day, but I am trying to work all muscle groups while he is with me so that I can incorporate more things into my routine. I need to come up with a plan and schedule for training anyway, since they don't open till 6:00 and I won't likely be able to train in the mornings.

Yesterday, I had experienced muscle soreness in my delts and quads from Friday's training. Felt good.

I think I'm loving this place. So many options with my training. Great facility.

Warmed up on one of their ellipticals yesterday before training, and I discovered that it is nowhere NEAR as challenging as my elliptical at home. I must be doing something wrong, but I asked another person who worked there, and apparently not. I had it set on Resistance Level 20, the highest option, and that was not challenging at all. My elliptical is more challenging intensity wise than any other elliptical I've been on. I noticed the same thing with the machine while I was on vacation. That one was a "True," and I loved it, but it was still easier. My Level 4 at home is equivalent to the Level 21 machine while on vacation. Just goes to show all machines are different. But it also tells me that when my machine says I'm burning X number of cals per minute, I'm convinced now that it's likely a quite accurate estimate.

The next time I go to the gym, I'll try the stepmill. I've never done that before, and it's Gavin's favorite. Ellipticals are my machine of choice, but I want a challenge.

Calling for rain all day. Returning to work today. Lots to get accomplished. I'm Executrix of my mother's estate, and I'll need to give a lot of time and thought in the days ahead to resolve many pending financial issues. Not fun.

Macros yesterday not as structured as I'd planned. I was hungrier yesterday, but hopefully my TDEE covered it.

TOTALS SUNDAY:

CALS..........1919
PROT...........206
CARBS...........88
FIBER............15
FAT..............91

WORKOUTS:

SATURDAY: 30 MINS CARDIO

SUNDAY:

20 mins ELLIP A.M.
75 mins TRAINING (afternoon)
12 mins cardio following training

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 06-28-2010 at 02:22 AM..
Old 06-28-2010, 04:35 AM   #3257

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
enjoy your new gym.. the stepmonster (mil) is a great unit!
Old 06-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #3258

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
enjoy your new gym.. the stepmonster (mil) is a great unit!
Monster? Yikes.

I'm gonna give it a go this evening, before my LB training. I'll report back.

I could use some cardio right now anyway. Need a boost of endorphins.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:57 PM   #3259

MON JUN 28

Did NOT get a chance to do the step mill today at the gym. When I arrived, the "favorite" elliptical in the cardio section (so says the owner) was not in use, and being an elliptical lover, I hopped on in a flash for my 10-min cardio warmup, followed by 50 mins of LB training -- lost in my MP3 world of jammin -- and a 5-min cardio finish.

I'll try the stepmill on Wednesday when I do delt work.

I must be doing something right in my recomp goals. While running errands tonight, three different strangers stopped and asked me about my workout routine, nutrition, made comments about my arms, etc. Gratifying.

DOMS from Sunday's training in my back, biceps and triceps -- must have nailed all three groups. Already feeling soreness in hamstrings from today's training. One of the trainer/owners last Friday showed me how to do squats on the Smith in a weird "leaning" position that helps to isolate the work on the hamstrings. Tried that again today, with deadlifts and another hamstring isolation exercise. Yee-hah. Workin' it.

Today was a little stressful, but I destressed at the gym after work, took a quick shower, and then a 40-min nap. Wow. What a fix. Helped me to regroup and recharge mentally.

Enjoyed some yummy avocado today at breakfast, lunch and dinner meals. I'd been craving avocado, and it hit the spot.

TOTALS:

CALS.......1746
PROT........194
CARBS........82
FIBER..........22
FAT..............70

WORKOUTS:

20 MINS CARDIO (TJ) A.M.
18 MINS CARDIO/POWER WALK A.M.
10 MINS CARDIO WARMUP ELLIP P.M.
50 MINS LB TRAINING
5 MINS CARDIO COOL DOWN
Old 06-29-2010, 02:23 AM   #3260

DEFY FATHER TIME
MOVE WITH EASE

Reduce your weight with a regular fitness program and you may stave off future joint problems. New data indicates that inactivity and obesity are major factors in the development of arthritis in women. To keep your inner framework healthy and happy, exercise at least five days a week using a combination of cardio and strength training activities, eat clean, and stretch regularly.

Oxygen June 2010
Old 06-29-2010, 02:35 AM   #3261

TUES JUN 29

I woke up missing Mom this morning. Again. She's been the first thought on my mind every morning since she passed. I'm certain it will get easier, but I'm just as certain the ache of my emptiness will never fully go away.

Sometimes the ache hurts physically, a burning in my heart. I've found myself verbally suppressing the weight of the ache, just to move past it and move on.

I'm drinking my morning coffee. We used to love drinking morning coffee together.

The ache of a broken heart. It's a hurt of its own.

Looking forward to my morning power walk in the stillness of a new day. I was lucky enough to see a beautiful pink sunset last night while running errands out and about. I'll take along my cell phone and hopefully capture a new day's dawning. Simple joys. It's what makes life meaningful.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #3262
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: tempted_by_food
Stats: 233/164/140
WOE: HHCG Rogue Style....
Start Date: restart: 7/13/2009
T...Sounds like your loving the new gym and its great you can go with your son and spend time together working out, thats lovely!! The sunset sounds lovely maybe you can snap that picture next time. Have a lovely day!!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #3263

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins
Twyla!! .
Old 06-30-2010, 02:29 AM   #3264

Good Morning, World.

Hi, Meek.

TBF, yes, I am enjoying this gym membership. It seems hard to believe that in only a week's time since I've been going there, I'm noticing a difference in my body comp.

I haven't changed my diet, so it has to be the extra work and muscle confusion at the gym.

My son has this delusion of grandeur syndrome with me......and when he had me on this one machine a few days ago, he stacked it up way too heavy as I was getting ready to use it, so I shoot him this raised eyebrow, wide-eyed look, and say: Uh, right. One of the owner/trainers laughed and said, Gavin, what are you doin' man, you're gonna kill her.

We all got a good laugh out of it.

My soreness the last few days, however, has been quite pronounced, and not in just one muscle group: Delts, back, quads, hams, abs, biceps, triceps....let's see....did I leave anything out? WTH? I guess it has to be the introduction of new exercises, because I'm not really lifting MORE weight or doing MORE reps per se. Just new approaches, blindsiding my muscles I am. All I can say is: Ouch! But oh mercy, what a good "ouch" it is.

I'm gonna do some Callanetics this morning and a bit of light cardio. I try to squeeze in Callanetics and stretching throughout the week while at work or when I have an extra few minutes, and I'll keep one day open per week for a full session of Callanetics. Hopefully time after work for some delt and ab work at the gym.

Busy day yesterday. Crashed eagerly into bed at 10:00 p.m. last night. LIGHTS OUT, BRAIN IN HIBERNATE.

TOTALS TUESDAY:

CALS...............1638
PROT................167
CARBS................94
FIBER.................26
FAT...................74

40 MINS CARDIO (POWER WALK) A.M.
16 MINS CARDIO ELLIP P.M.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:35 AM   #3265

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins
Twyla, good job on the work-outs! I'm going to try callanetics soon. Which dvd would you recommended starting out?
Old 07-01-2010, 02:36 AM   #3266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meek2010 View Post
Twyla, good job on the work-outs! I'm going to try callanetics soon. Which dvd would you recommended starting out?
Meek, it's funny that you would mention Callanetics, because just yesterday, I had been scheduled for a makeup consultation with a professional makeup artist for Estee Lauder, and she travels around the Eastern US on behalf of E.L. and does her magic, etc. So when I get there to my appt., one of the first things she said to me was: "You must compete in bodybuilding," and went on to tell me how she herself lives in the gym, loves to train, likes to run, and the conversation was all about fitness for the first 3-4 mins. THEN SHE SAYS: "I try to do some sort of flexibility and stretching workout once or twice a week," and we both acknowledged how imp it is to make that a part of a workout routine, and I said, "Yes, I do Callanetics for this, not sure if you've heard of that...?"

Her eyes grew wide and she exclaimed, "OMG, Callanetics! I love Callanetics. Not many people know about Callanetics! That's amazing!" And then the conversation turned to all-about-Callanetics. She had taken classes before, and was in the process of trying to find a class where she lives, with no success.

That's when I suggested she purchase one of the DVD's from Amazon, and she wrote down the name, etc., and thanked me for the info, etc.

CALLANETICS. Yes, go to Amazon and I would recommend either Callanetics Evolution or 10 Years Younger. Evolution is more modern, and comprehensive instructionally, and Sandra, the instructor, who frequents LCF on the Exercise Board (aren't WE lucky!) can help you with questions, etc.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:50 AM   #3267

i've got quite the smile on my face about your gym training/etc.. I see Gavin is putting a hurtin' on ya!
Old 07-01-2010, 02:50 AM   #3268

Updating Wed Jun 30

Another very busy day. I'm beginning to feel the effects of life, and it's obvious that I will need to get some extra sleep and relaxation/rest time this weekened (starting this afternoon!).

I was ravenous yesterday from late afternoon forward, so I listened to my body's protests and fed it. My macros aren't stellar, but it is what it is. Today I'll dial it back to lower carbs and cals and carve out some time for extra rest and recovery time. I'm feeling very encouraged with my body comp progress in the last 5 weeks or so, but my body is beginning to protest, so the extra cals were in order and I will add in some rest and give my body what it needs.

TOTALS WEDNESDAY:

CALS..........2035
PROT...........203
CARBS...........96
FIBER............13
FAT..............94

22 MINS CARDIO A.M.
CALLANETICS A.M.

P.M.

10 MINS CARDIO WARMUP
45 MINS DELTS/TRICEPS/ABS
8 MINS CARDIO
Old 07-01-2010, 02:53 AM   #3269

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
i've got quite the smile on my face about your gym training/etc.. I see Gavin is putting a hurtin' on ya!

Ya THINK??!!

That merciless BEAST!

Enuf already!

(Honestly, I'm LOVIN being able to go to the gym with him a few times a week. He's teaching this old dog some new tricks! Whodathunk it!)
Old 07-01-2010, 02:55 AM   #3270

LOL.. there are soooooooooo many 'toys' there and lot of things to do with them

enjoy.
Closed Thread