LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #241
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shrl
Stats: 200/185/140
WOE: Cad, but changed to Atkins 72
Start Date: Restart Jan.20 08
Hi There

Wow, TA DA you have lost a lot of weight. Wonderful and you look so good.
I am starting Atkins today, so far so good. Hope I do as well as you.
Take care,
shrl
shrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2008, 11:05 AM   #242
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Colo Alex
Stats: 297/231/<200 (6'0", 47 y.o.)
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Back on track 9/7/11
Hi Pauline. I like your last post on the anti-binge methods. Number 9 might be the hardest of them all!

Hope you have a great day!
Colo Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:39 PM   #243
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Joycelyn
Pauline, you're welcome, and I did the bumpity-bump on the main low carb lobby with your excellent low carb veg suggestions., since vegetarianism is obviously a topic of interest over there! There are so many postings to the lobby lately, I hope it doesn't get buried.

And your tips on binging are so helpful.

I can also relate to an earlier post where you said you eat yet are still hungry and want more. That is my major problem as well, when I forget to wait 20 min. after eating very quickly, to let the fullness equation travel to my brain!

Have you considered writing a book about your weight loss journey? One gal has a blog called pastaqueen, and she just had a book published about her weight loss journey on South Beach diet. Honestly, her writing isn't half as good or empathetic as yours.
You should really consider it; your posts are very helpful to us. I'm sure many of us would buy it in a hearbeat!
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #244
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
You are very sweet Joyce Another friend recently asked a similiar question, lol! I actually consider myself a writer, but having had to do it for "work" before, I tend to focus on fiction.

Also, this is going to sound crazy to you - I mean absolutely bonkers - I have privacy issues ... yet I can share the most personal things here because I am with others in the same or similiar situation. I just cringe at the thought of the "regular people" in my life knowing sny of these very very personal things, lol!!! I am actually in rose Elliot's book - twice i think. I am the case study called "Daphne" which is the pseudonym I chose when Rose asked to use my story in her book, lol!! (don't want it trumpeted from the treetops, but I don't mind if people who read my journal know, lol!). Still ... I guess if a pseudonym worked once ... LOL!

I have to say that i am really addicted to these stories of success myself and i still keep "Diary of a Fat Man" by my bedside. I also read Mike Huckabee's book a few years ago, lol!!! I'm gonna have to check out this pastaqueen story!!

Thanks for bumping the veg post, there may be someone out there who will read it and decide to try lowcarb even though they're not a big meat-eater, etc. -- I just re-read it and it's interesting to see how one's eating evolves over time!!

Vegetarian or Semi-Vegetarian Lowcarb

Pauline

Last edited by TaDa!; 01-20-2008 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: link
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:42 PM   #245

Shrl!!!! hey!!! Congratulations on deciding to start lowcarb!!!!! I hope your day went well girl!

Alex it's all about number 9 isn't it! Not just forgiving, but trusting and liking yourself and making those inner voices treat you with respect. I am so glad your meeting went well yesterday ... I bet you're an overachiever ...? yes? P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

January 20, 2007

Another good day today! Never did get in the exercise and won't be able to get it in tomorrow either - I have to work around everyone else here at my folks house. it'll be good to get back home! DH arrived safely from Ireland tonight.

I did eat a few unplanned things at different times when I was hungry, but managed to stay right where I should be 1832 calories, 56 carbs / 2300 calories expended .. yay me! I realized at one point that I wasn't hungry, I was so tired I was about to fall asleep .. so I let myself have a nap for the first time in years. Binge-busting seems easy when I am mindful .. how come, that is the first thing I toss to the wayside when I am feeling sorry for myself?

mindfulness.

important.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:38 AM   #246
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Joycelyn
Pauline, it's exciting to know you are in Rose's book! Yeah, check out the pastaqueen blog. After reading her for a while I stopped. She is a bit too acerbic for me, but her journey is interesting, and every once in a while I go back to the blog, especially now that my husband has decided South Beach is for him (but he's ignoring the low fat recommendations).

Anyway, many of us are glad you're back Pauline!
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:01 AM   #247
Major LCF Poster!

OMG Pauline! I didn't know you were famous! lol

By the way overachiever? absolutely. Perfectionist? of course!

Last edited by Colo Alex; 01-21-2008 at 07:06 AM..
Old 01-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GardenGirl639
Stats: 229/restart 201/193/145 5'3 3/4"
Good info on the binges! I need to read them over and over.

I'm taking some of the advice you mentioned in my journal. Day two of using ******. It seems to be going well. Thank you for mentioning it.

So which Rose Elliot book are you in?
GardenGirl639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #249

The lowcarb vegetarian book Yah famous me!! lol!! I was actually asked to be in a magazine, but having pix of me and private details like my before weight out for anyone at all too see <shivers>

Glad ****** is working some for you GG ... everytime I abandon it, I always end up back there, lol!!! I have to pop into your journal ... the last week has been hectic with dh ona sudden emergency overseas trip for work and a visit to my parents .. it's a wonder I'm still on plan myself!! lol!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #250

January 21, 2008

Good on track day today! I got to see dh for about 20 minutes .. choral practice tonight and tomorrow night, 4 hour dress rehearsal on Saturday ... blech ... why do I do this??!! We're singing Haydn's The Seasons which is beautiful music, but ugh I hate rehearsals, lol!

And I just realized that I do not get to exercise tomorrow - dd has an appointment at Children's Hospital - then on Wednesday the other dd has a half day of school, so I have to fly through my workout and be brief with all the folks who want to chat chat chat at the gym ... Then Thursday night, dd's winter concert .. she plays violin ... ohmigosh, this week is going to be just a series of one annoyance after another, lol!!! Oh yah, did I mention that I stand for those four hours solid .. me, my black pumps and my heel spur? and then do it all over again on Sunday??!!

May the world self-destruct around me, but my food and exercise remain solid!!!

That is the mantra of the week!!!

OK -- off to join the snoring husband.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:51 AM   #251
Major LCF Poster!

Black pumps?? I expect 4 inch heels!!!

Man, kids can be so "annoying!" lol. Gotta love it.

I agree Pauline, rehearsals are really awful for those of us that are perfect, but you'll just have to suffer for those who need the practice.

Seriously, I hope your whirlwind week goes well!
Old 01-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo Alex View Post
Black pumps?? I expect 4 inch heels!!!
As much as I'd love to please my public <ahem> 4 inch heels are forbidden ... they'd surely become weapons on these feet!!

As for perfection ... well, tonight our choral director, told us that a normal person off the street would say to themselves (as we sing "The Storm" from the Seasons in German)... "What a nice tupperware party. Why are they screaming??!!" Ya think he was trying to tell us something??!!

Old 01-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #253

January 22, 2008

Another good day for food although I was starving all day .. I think it was just stress. I haven't exercised in 3 days as life has gotten in the way. Nonetheless I am still down 500 calories a day from maintaining, so no major harm done, I hope.

I'm very tired from the hospital and another strenuous rehearsal and dd just informed me she has to be driven to school extra early tomorrow am and then I go back home, get the little one ready and bring her to school early as she has a half day -- I probably won't get as much sleep as I could use tonight, so I just hope I have a good-feeling workout. I will just repeat this week's mantra:

May the world self-destruct around me, but my food and exercise remain solid!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 05:08 AM   #254

Gallery: debbiedo
Stats: pretty close to perfect!
WOE: mindful eating/running off the pounds
Start Date: over and over again
Pauline, you have inspired me to get back on track with my eating. Thanks!!!

I am always hungry. I know my calories are too low but I am trying to jump start things and do have higher days. I don't even know how many calories I can eat and steadily lose weight.

Well off to make some oats this morning. I have had Kashi for 3 days and think I need my cottage cheese and oats instead.
debbiedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:21 AM   #255
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Pauline. Just stopped in to say so happy you are back posting regularly! It is so great to see someone who has kept the weight off but is honest along the journey. It isn't always easy. I have problems with the binging also. So it is good to see how others handle it. You are one great lady! You keep me inspired! I remember when we were both close to goal and had 10 lbs. to lose. I wish I would have kept posting then so I wouldn't be doing this again! But I am staying this time and not going back up! No never! I will not have any big clothes as a safety net either! KUTGW!

I AM NOW LESS THAN HALF OF MY FORMER SELF!!

Dianne

A proud TOPS member - became a KOPS on 4/24/08!

Join us over at the lowcarb TOPS thread. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-part-2-a.html
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:15 PM   #256

Deb .. I wish my hunger had to do with lack of calories ... in my case it's more like hormonal fluctuation - becasue one day I am totally starving, then the next day when i eat exactly the same menu, and do the same amount of exercise, I am sated. Peri-menopause maybe??!!

Dianne! Hi!!! Yah remember when we had that thread going "10 pounds to goal" or something like that, lol! It's all a learning process - i sure do not have the maintenance thing down ... I'm either too overweight, or too underweight. I have to figure out a better plan for maintenance ... I think you said it, stay on the boards! (and continue strict monitoring of my intake - I am coming to the conclusion that's the only solution for bingers.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #257

Pauline, I am so perimenopausal yet I still get TOM and this month I was moody, bloated and had lots of GI issues. Now that TOM has come and it is brief I feel so much better.I sleep terribly though and get tired and hungry during the day.

I am probably not eating enough. 1400-1500 calories isn't alot when you burn off a good 500-600 doing cardio like I did today. When I run 8 or more miles I do eat more. I even allow myself a whole grain bagette or a bagel after.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #258

Yah I burn that much on my workouts too, but I can easily eat over 2000 cals and not notice ... but my maintenance weight is also higher than yours. 128-130.

I'll be happy to come down there and feed you j/k!!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:19 PM   #259
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/20-22/12
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: One day at a time
Hi Pauline. Just want you to know I am lurking, learning, inspired and grateful you are back.

Tricia
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #260

Hi Trish!!!! It was so nice to see your name today!! I always appreciated your wise words. I'm glad you're still here!!! Pauline
Old 01-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #261

January 23, 2008

Today went well - as per usual lately! No extra hunger which was great ... day on day off rule??! Despite some really bad stress, I am following through on the week's mantra!

A recent post got me thinking. Some folks go out to eat, can order something carby "mistakenly", they then throw in the towel completely start drinking fruity drinks and sugary desserts and say, "well, I fell off the wagon".

I never fall off the wagon in that way. Even when I eat out and have slightly higher carb meals, it is never a carb fest. My bingeing happens at home - in the afternoon and evening and a lot of the time, the food is not even appetizing. I will not touch my family's cookies, or bread, or pasta, I binge on lowcarb or borderline lowcarb food. I don't sneak it really, but I think there is an aspect to the binge that harkens back to sneak eating. Otherwise, I'd be out at McDonald's buying supersize fries and a chocolate milkshake, not some of the yechy things I've binged on.

I have not binged since getting back on track after New Year's. I have to figure out how to make this the end of binge eating for me forever. I eat fine when I schedule my meals and plan for "unplanned" food. When I just leave it as an "eat as you go" plan, I find myself in trouble.

I guess some people have weightloss surgery and have to deal with its lifetime restrictions like the tiny portions, and the digestive side effects. For me, it appears, the "cost" of being thin will be very careful monitoring and scheduling of my food - maybe with "carby" meals allowed when eating at a restaurant, etc (when on maintenance). I think I am willing to pay this price.

No point worrying over the unfairness of it, or my inability to become "normal" - whatever that means. Simply, there is a small cost to make this lifetime dream a permaneant one. I really think I am coming to realize it and I am totally ok with it.

OK, off to sleep. I am so darn tired, it's not even funny.

Last edited by TaDa!; 01-23-2008 at 05:15 PM..
Old 01-23-2008, 07:13 PM   #262
Major LCF Poster!

Pauline, this starving thing must be going around. I woke up in the middle of the night because I was so hungry. I proceeded to "starve" all day. Fortunately, I was writing everything down, so I knew I was eating.

You are such an encouragement to me...not simply because you are at goal weight, but because you share the struggle with us. I am so glad that you are posting again. I know how to follow a diet. I don't know everything I need to rid my life of binge eating. Thank you for your help.

I hope you got a good night's sleep.

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."-Thomas Edison
"I never failed once. It just happened to be a 2000 step process"-Thomas Edison
"It's never too late to be who you might have been"-George Eliot
Dream it, talk it, live it. -Rose Fitzgerald
Old 01-24-2008, 02:05 AM   #263
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Pauline, I could have written your last post. I don't binge on things off plan. I don't eat my husband's candy, cookies, crackers or whatever. I binge on lc items or borderline stuff too! It is almost like I am trying to push the envelope. I eat nuts but then all of a sudden I have a day that I think - hey they are good for you and start eating them by the handful! I used to have sf chocolate as a treat and then I started doing the same thing with it. I have not had any sf chocolate since the beginning of December as I was treating it like celery or some other free food. So I have been working really hard the last few weeks on planning my meals in the morning for the entire day. It has really helped as I print them out. Then I check the stuff off as the day goes on. It works for now but I need to figure out if this is what I need to do forever! I use ****** and it is the best tool. I always used it before when I lost and when I started avoiding it like I did the scale, the pounds crept back on. So I agree if this is how I have to do it the rest of my life, it is worth it to stay thin! I do not want to gain it back. I have way too much fun shopping for clothes now even though I am not at goal.

Have a good Thursday!
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:20 AM   #264

GardenGirl I hope you experience what I do and that today is as easy (from the hunger standpoint) as yesterday was hard!! Good job on holding steady -- we have to sort out the false signals our binge-y little brains send us and retrain ourselves!!!!! Congrats on a successful day - we can only take it one day at a time!!!!

Dianne I keep thinking if someone had told me, "take this little green pill three times a day for the rest of your life and you will be thin," I would have done anything to get a hold of that little green pill. What an easy price to pay for something I've wanted my whole life ... So, ****** and a little calculation on a daily basis, big deal I think of all the posts I have read over the years of people lamenting the fact that they can't "be normal" when they follow lowcarb and whining how they want to be like other people once the weight comes off ... I do not want to be one of those people. I cannot live in denial and get to maintain my goal weight. I have to give up one of those things and I think the obvious choice has become more clear over the past few years. Yay us! We're going to get this right Dianne!!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 07:30 AM   #265
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
January 23, 2008

No point worrying over the unfairness of it, or my inability to become "normal" - whatever that means. Simply, there is a small cost to make this lifetime dream a permanent one. I really think I am coming to realize it and I am totally ok with it.

Dang it Pauline!! Quit putting things into perspective. You keep taking away my ability to feel sorry for myself and come up with excuses!! LOL

What the H@ll is normal anyway? I guess it is some sort of idea in each of our own heads placed there by society, parents, friends, TV, you name it. What normal really is, is what we do, say, and act like on a daily basis in our own lives. So if we can change to a positive behavior, healthy eating and exercise on a daily basis then that becomes normal. Now, I just have to do it!

Have a great day.

My Journal
Old 01-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #266

Pauline your thread truly help me stay on track every day. I am so glad you are back.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:02 AM   #267
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Pauline!

It's terrific to have you back posting.
I've read your journal since you've been back, and I can relate to so many of your experiences.

I think you've touched on something so important here:

Quote:
No point worrying over the unfairness of it, or my inability to become "normal" - whatever that means. Simply, there is a small cost to make this lifetime dream a permaneant one. I really think I am coming to realize it and I am totally ok with it.
Throughout maintenance I've had many moments when I'd think, "Why can't I just enjoy all foods, in moderation?" Isn't that a 'normal' way of eating?

And then I think back to something that Stephen Gullo wrote in his book, The Thin Commandments Diet.

"...successful weight control is not about doing what's "normal"--it's about doing what works for you. You should not be concerned about the norm--that's the preoccupation of the insecure--but about what brings you the success you deserve."

His words make so much sense to me.

We may not eat as "normally" as most other folks do.

But, [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]we feel good, we're healthier, thinner, and happier when we choose to eat nutritious, LC foods![/COLOR]

Thank you for sharing with us in your journal.
I find it most helpful.

KUTGW!!!

Last edited by momov2boys; 01-24-2008 at 08:04 AM..
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:02 AM   #268
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
GardenGirl I hope you experience what I do and that today is as easy (from the hunger standpoint) as yesterday was hard!! Good job on holding steady -- we have to sort out the false signals our binge-y little brains send us and retrain ourselves!!!!! Congrats on a successful day - we can only take it one day at a time!!!!

Dianne I keep thinking if someone had told me, "take this little green pill three times a day for the rest of your life and you will be thin," I would have done anything to get a hold of that little green pill. What an easy price to pay for something I've wanted my whole life ... So, ****** and a little calculation on a daily basis, big deal I think of all the posts I have read over the years of people lamenting the fact that they can't "be normal" when they follow lowcarb and whining how they want to be like other people once the weight comes off ... I do not want to be one of those people. I cannot live in denial and get to maintain my goal weight. I have to give up one of those things and I think the obvious choice has become more clear over the past few years. Yay us! We're going to get this right Dianne!!!!

I was getting my hair done yesterday and picked up one of the magazines. I believe it was a Good Housekeeping and the cover said something like "The best way to lose weight (and it has nothing to do with what you eat)" The whole article was about a study that was done on people who had lost weight and kept it off. Do you know what the secret was? Journaling! All the people who were successful kept journaling what they ate, some what their feelings were. So, I guess that's the message I'm supposed to be learning now. First you come over to my journal and suggest it then I pick up a random magazine that suggests the same thing. Guess I'm going to be tracking my food for awhile.

I was also thinking about this concept of "normal"...Normal weight people eating normally, i.e. whatever they want. My mil has always been a small person. As I was thinking about her, I realized that she has always watched what she ate. Whenever her pants start to feel tight, she starts watching and gets those few pounds off. I used to thing she was "obsessed" with size, but now I realize that she manages her life so that she stays in the condition that she finds most comfortable. And who am I to talk about obsession!

And you're right, writing everything down is a small price to pay.

edited to add the link to the magazine article: Keep a Food Diary to Lose Weight - Food Journal Diet Success - Goodhousekeeping.com

Last edited by GardenGirl639; 01-24-2008 at 08:05 AM..
Old 01-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #269

Thanks Deb, that is a very sweet thing to say! I am kinda sorry I can't really do challenges anymore. I came to the conclusion that I get binge-y when I "hear" people overtalking the weight fluctuations and it is just better for me to stay out of threads where ... lol! ... people obsess over weight like I would if I start up with the scale again. You are doing great Deb!!! How far you have come since that challenge .. and you were doing really well then!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momov2boys View Post
...I think back to something that Stephen Gullo wrote in his book, The Thin Commandments Diet.

"...successful weight control is not about doing what's "normal"--it's about doing what works for you. You should not be concerned about the norm--that's the preoccupation of the insecure--but about what brings you the success you deserve."
Wow, That is so true. As Alex and GardenGirl, say, What is the norm anyway? "Thin normal" people take action when their jeans get tight!

GardenGirl How freaky!!!! The journaling thing!!! A sign from heaven??!! I know it worked for my whole weightloss journey and was a key to success. I guess I come to realize that this might just be something I'm stuck with, lol!

I was reading your journal and something you said struck me about the comfort of eating the same food day after day - that new foods can trigger binges. I feel exactly the same way - and that is probably why I am successful when I journal -- I am accountable for what I am eating. When I try to "wing it," I think I unconsciously get anxious ... like as in: food scarcity which is a binge trigger I know very very well (from childhood that leaked over to adulthood, social situations, etc.). yah, it's not food scarcity, but it is almost like I am afraid I should not be eating, or afraid I will be told to stop (by myself? by my mother? by society?) so I overcompensate ...

These are good good things to come upon! I helped you maybe ... and see, you helped me! We have our own group therapy thing going on here, lol!

This is a really really great start on finding a solution for maintenance. I think I need to come up with a list of binge triggers and problem solve them, the way I problem-solved when I first started Atkins and when I ran into bumps along the way ...

I think I need to come up with a list of binge triggers -

Last edited by TaDa!; 01-24-2008 at 11:32 AM..
Old 01-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #270

I have a hard time with maintenance. I go from one extreme to another with very little in between. If I try to "wing it " I gain. I look fine at my present weight. I am slim. I just hate when my clothes don't fit. I bought them all when I was at my low weight which was around 114. I am 120. I am 5' so things get tight. So do I move up a size? I did buy a few bigger clothes but I am trying to drop the few pounds I need to so I don't need to spend money on a whole new wardrobe yet again.

The question is will I be able to maintain 115 pounds? Do we all have a magic number that we are happy with and does it increase when we have trouble maintaining it? I have to eat so much less to maintain a lower weight. I hate to have to live every day measuring food and writing down all I eat but that is the only way I seem to lose well or even maintain. I exercise a ton as you do Pauline. What happens if we can't do it?

My Binge triggers: Nuts, salty foods like tortilla chips and pretzels. Kids sweet cereals can lead to weeks of craving more of it.