Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2006, 10:39 AM   #181
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: AllieCat0817
Stats: 213.5/142/137
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 5/23/03
OK, praying that is all it is - she is away from internet access or something. Just hoping she is SAFE and ok.
AllieCat0817 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2006, 06:08 PM   #182

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Thanks everyone for all your kind words. I am sorry I did not get word to the boards but there is not really anyone in RL I would choose as a messenger for me here .... it is weird but I cannot think of anyone who is weightloss sympatico if you know what I mean ....

October 14, 2006

8:29 am
One of my big disappointments while I've been sick - I could not even bear to think about entering any of the road or trail races I had so carefully researched. The best races are always in the Fall .. and I had picked out a 10 mile trail race and a half marathon which is being run tomorrow <sigh>

Well, even though I am running slowly, I decided this morning to search out a race to run this weekend and just got dh to agree! I'll be running a 5 mile race ... "Fall Foliage Classic" tomorrow!! LOL! That will be the shortest race I ever ran ... and will probably be almost too much, but I am feeling so high the last few days, just to feel somewhat NORMAL ...

Strange to feel so good despite just getting some more bad medical news DSis just found out and that one set of tenants are going to try and break their lease in the winter of all the rotten times -- aack! You don't appreciate your health - your faculties - until they are threatened or diminished somehow.

Anyhow, there is a 1.25 mile fun run right before the 5-miler and my 10 year old dd who I have been encouraging is going to do it!!!!!! I am so happy about it!!! She plays soccer and may not make the team next year as they start try-outs next year and she is definitely the least-developed player on the team this year. She, like I was, is the kid who gets picked last on teams at recess, etc, had to do a special gym class in 1st grade after being flagged in kindergarten ... anyhow I am excited to get her started in a "sport" that depends on no one other than herself ..

OK, off to a short short 3.5 mile easy run outdoors.

October 15, 2006

8:33 pm
Wow! What a great day!!!! First my daughter runs her first-ever road race (a 1.25 mile "fun run") and I am so so so proud of her. She ended up running it at a 9.5 minute mile pace (which apparently is exactly average for her age group/gender).

Then ..... I run at what has been my fastest pace ever on the track ... but on terrain with a few smallish hills ... 5 miles in 42:32 which translates as 8:31. LOL! And it is all thanks to a 13 year old girl I ran with for the first 4 miles yapping the entire way. I think I'd have slowed down and rested otherwise. I barely had enough left to sprint to the finish. I expected to run a 9:30 - 10 minute mile today so I am just thrilled and here thinking, wow! I bet I could go under an 8 minute mile someday. I felt absolutely leaden warming up. And to top it all off, the winner in the age 19-29 category ran it in 44:32 .... I BEAT HER!!! Too bad in my age category, the old folk, the fastest woman ran it in 34:20, lol! and I finished 10th out of 21 in that category

Funny, after the race I saw dh talking to this guy I passed out in mile 4. apparently they know one another from soccer. He had heard me talking with the girl as we ran and said he was thinking of seeking me out as I was very motivational ... hee heee! Funny!!!! Especially as I just checked results and I beat him by a minute and a half ...

DH wanted to know what I had been saying. We had been talking about our running and training and I mentioned to her something that has stayed with me from a book I read once on running and that is, that no matter how slow a runner or jogger you are, you still can run faster than 99% of humanity, should they be forced to get up from their chairs and try and run a mile DH thought that was not motivational at all ... especially the part about how the subject came up ... We were talking about how men are just physically going to beat us in running because they simply have larger leg muscles. I said to the girl that I just accept that and it doesn't bother me becasue I know I could beat nearly any man on the track .... unless he is a runner

I also kind of just winged it as far as food today and went and ******'ed it and I came out at 2054 calories and 67 carbs and I feel too full for anything more, so I am pleased! I think I feel better when I weigh 124 and am thinking of coasting down to that and just ignore the folks who say my face looks too thin. I am middle-aged and have never been a normal weight and people are simply not used to it. I am not evenly proportioned and my body looks a little chubby when my face is "perfect" and my face looks gaunt when my body is at a good weight.

Well I have heard folks say that after losing weight the fat can redistribute itself around the bod and hopefully that'll occur. The loose skin situation has definitely gotten better since I hit goal and that was only like 5 months ago, so I am going to wait this stuff out and continue with the weightlifting and running!

(did I mention how proud I am of my ten year old??!!!)
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:31 PM   #183
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Loner
Stats: Chase Utley xoxo
Pauline, we have missed you so. were you sick hun? Im so glad to see you are back I hope you stop by our lowcarb ladder challenge...we miss you there too !!!!!!!!!

Loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:59 AM   #184

Gallery: debbiedo
Stats: pretty close to perfect!
WOE: mindful eating/running off the pounds
Start Date: over and over again
Gosh Pauline we all missed you so much. please update uson what has been going on. Who has been sick? You? I hope all is better. You are runnng so well and so fast. Gosh I can never get under a 9 minute mile for long.

I would be proud of my kids too if they ran. Actually oldest is doing his first 5K. It is Susan B Koman Race for Cure in Baltimore. He has walked it the previous 5 years. This his 6th year he is running. He emailed me he wants to start racing. so like his mom!

I am so happy to see you back here. Please come back to carb Climbers and tell us how you are !!!!!
debbiedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:21 AM   #185
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Loner
Stats: Chase Utley xoxo
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...26#post7583426

:blush:
Loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:38 PM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sillystring
WOE: LC
Start Date: 2006
welcome back!!!
sillystring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #187

January 2, 2008

Well, hello! It's been a while! and I feel that I need to re-group and get back to my mindset of success! Not that I have slipped terribly or anything. Come June, I will have been on this journey for 5 years and the success is still very apparent. I exercise regularly and exercise hard. I still haven't eaten a slice of bread or pizza, or white sugar in any form and still carry food with me when I go to parties, lol! Nonetheless, my jeans are tight and I would rather walk around feeling like a behemoth than buy anything in a larger size!!!!!

I ordered a Columbia fleece jacket and it arrived today and well, it's a little snugger than I'd want it to be ... obviously I ordered the right size! lol! Needless to say, I am afraid to step on the scale. At my lowest I weighed 124, and I called 128 as goal. I am thinking I am probably at about 140 and according to the weight charts 140 is the upper limit for my height -- but I want to weigh around 128-130 ... so I will aim for that.

I developed a heel spur last February - I think part of it was from running on snowshoes ... sooooo I have been using the elliptical and the stair stepper in place of runs, and continued with the heavy lifting. The only real real bummer is that I cannot just say "Oh I don't want to go to the gym today - I'll just go for a run" and I desperately miss running, but hey the spur will go away some day ...

I feel that I am off to a good start this evening ... It's funny, I hadn't thought of the boards in a long time, just typed in the url on a total whim. Guardian angel was obviously in the room today!

LOL! I read my last post above and it makes me sad ... this summer and fall was about 100 times worse than those problems up there - somehow I came out of it much much stronger in my own mind -- by taking action -- but I suppose I'll leave that for another day (anyone reading this - nothing profound here, no changes in marital status or anything truly interesting like that, lol!!)

yay!!! I am gonna get over this hump too!!!

January 3, 2008

Well my plan is not to do anything too drastic, as drastic always causes mind problems for me! For the same reason I do not plan to weigh myself for at least a month, as the numbers can also throw me into a tailspin. I may start to do monthly weighing (as I get back to goal weight) like MaryMary always did. Lovely lady.

I am also going to be a little more lenient with foods that I have added over time ... the two that come to mind are oranges and cheerios, lol! which have lately replaced nuts and yogurt. (dropped the nuts due to cost! dropped the yogurt lately because it does not appeal to me in winter and an orange is so much easier than mixing up a concoction)

So, I guess my two short and longterm goals are to eat what I know works for me, around 2000 calories, 70 carbs or thereabouts and to exercise 5 days a week. If I can do those two things, everything else will fall into place!

Well, that'd be the plan and this'd be the reality: I ended up eating 1852 cals, 92 carbs today and eating 1808 calories, 98 carbs yesterday ... I actually had trouble figuring out my snacking foods (small meals) since I don't keep anymore of the expensive foods around <sigh> but I'll figure this all out once again! Eating below 2000 calories while exercising mega hard is already a big achievement for me - yay! According to ****** I burned about 2700 calories today, so the numbers work just fiine I think!

~~~~~~~~~

People at the gym are all so so nice to me - like Sally Field "They really like me". Not a single person has mentioned to me that I'd put on a few. I get so much respect there it just blows me away. If only I gave myself the respect they give me there! Gotta keep reminding myself how very deserving I am!

~~~~~~~~~~

Reminder: write about my first time on roller skates in about 25 years ... so darn cool!

~~~~~~~~~~

Oh Yeah Baby! Back in the Groove!

January 4, 2008

Woohooooooooo!! Day 3 under my belt!!! and I feel so much better than I have been feeling!! Being in control rocks!

Funny story - There's a guy at my gym who I don't see for half the year - only in the winter when he has to run indoors on the track. We said our hello, how are'yas today, and he told me he was surprised to see how hard I workout on the cardio (now that I'm not running) and I mentioned that I had to take off a few pounds .. his response, "No, you were too skinny last year. You look good now."

Well I have to say that makes me happy - the "you look good now" part, but I know I DO have to take off some of this to feel good again. Maybe though I will reevaluate goal weight. I had settled on 128 pounds and maybe - just maybe - something like 132 will suit me better. Anyhow, when the jeans no longer feel snug, I will re-evaluate I guess. My weight is the same as when that avatar picture was taken.

I am so proud to have gotten down some important lifestyle habits these past five years that have stuck fast, but I have to say Maintenance is still a total mystery that eludes me. I think maybe I cannot be unstructured at all with food. I am just not able to do it. I don't know. Maybe ****** and scheduled measured foods are simply my lot in life. Unstructured eating for me, is like letting a toddler loose in a bakery. I do not grab a single handful of anything if you know what I mean.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happier things ... I went rolling skating for the first time in about 25 years or more at a birthday party for my youngest's friend about two months ago - and not only did my feet remember what to do, but I had the weirdest sensation - despite having gained some weight, I was still the lightest (bmi-wise of course)and fittest I have EVER been on skates. I felt like a bird. I think over the past few years I'd forgotten what a burden it felt to be so obese.

While roller skating, I had an intense flashback to the only body memory I ever had of roller skating and I never ever want to feel like that again. No one should ever have to suffer like that. Thin, fit, people just have no idea of the precious treasure they have, the freedom they have from gravity.

God what an idiot I would be to risk this! Day 3 and the jeans feel better already
Old 01-04-2008, 06:04 PM   #188

wow Pauline it is great seeing you back here!!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:57 PM   #189
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Colo Alex
Stats: 297/231/<200 (6'0", 47 y.o.)
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Back on track 9/7/11
Pauline!! I am SO glad you are back!! Welcome Home.
Colo Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: speedymagee
Stats: highest176/now150/145ish
WOE: CAD
Hi there!

I hope you'll keep posting.
I'm in maintenance now and it's haaaaard!

Thanks for keeping it real!
speedymagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #191

Hi everyone! Nice to see you all too! It's great that so many people are still here hanging tough! Pauline

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
January 5, 2008

I feel so so so good. My jeans feel ok again, and I can actually see a difference. I managed to eat less carbs today 1852 calories, 82 carbs so that's good - I am so glad I decided not to weigh myself - how great it is to focus on how much better you feel and look rather than on what you might need to accomplish! OK, next I want my skintight lycra shorts (sized xs) not to feel tight anymore! Good goal - them suckers are tiny!

I found myself mesmerized by the tv this evening only to find that I was watching an infomercial for an Elvie Presley cd set. 'Nuf said!

Happy Saturday night!
Old 01-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #192
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GardenGirl639
Stats: 229/restart 201/193/145 5'3 3/4"
Nice to have you back. You have always been an inspiration to me.
GardenGirl639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenGirl639 View Post
Nice to have you back. You have always been an inspiration to me.
Oh Thanks GG! You are very sweet!!

January 6, 2008

I bumped an old post about those of us who had never been a normal weight and was asked some questions about reaching goal weight:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ce...lt-ever-3.html

Funny. At some point I did cross over from the Fat Girl to the feeling that I am normal - "thin" - Even now, on the chunky side of normal for me, I still feel that I am a normal acceptable human being. Most of my life I did not. I am an entirely different person than the person who came here 5 years ago ...

Great day today. No exercise since it's an exercise rest day. And I managed to avoid eating an orange, so carbs are down. Calories: 1731, carbs: 63. Now, I won't commit to not eating a piece of fruit while I'm taking off this weight, but hey why not when I didn't even exercise today, ya know!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

I have not given up fruit while I take off this last bit of weight either. But I, too, have cut back especially on the days I don't hike.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:28 PM   #195

Yeah Alex, it just seems unnecessary to give up fruit, lol! Once up the ladder .. it's mighty difficult to come back down - especially when you realize that you can lose weight just fine on most of the other foods! I dunno I have come to the conclusion that the only reason to do induction is to get into ketosis and have the appetite suppression. You are doing so well since your re-start!!!

January 7, 2008
I had a great workout today. I worked out so hard, I felt high afterward - but much hungrier today and had to hold myself back from overeating, but did great! The weather was warm today and will be warmer tomorrow, and it really makes me determined to get back to full fighting form, so to speak, before the warm weather arrives for real and it should be no problem, as long as I remain consistent!

I have to say that I do feel fat in my clothes and it happened like overnight, between the end of December and now, but I am sure that is a culmination of weight gained during the Fall - since I was not keeping track ... a bad habit I will need to break. I had choral practice tonight and it is the second time since Christmas I felt stressed about what to wear, lol! I am glad not to have given in and simply bought clothes that look good in a size 8, lol! I tell you the tight clothes are a huuuuuuuge motivation for me. I do not like the way I feel at all!!!!!!!!

... but I guess it'll be minimum of 2 months before I begin to feel good again since I am going at the weightloss at a slow pace (hopefully a pound a week), so I do not feel deprived and find myself in danger of binge-eating! Anyhooooo, I am still quite pleased with myself tonight! Today was day 6 completed to plan! Yay Me!

p.s. Today I received a photo in the mail of me and my family from New Year's day. It was taken with a terrible camera, lol! but I still may post it as my current avatar picture, just to have a different current one up ... we'll see how lazy I am tomorrow, lol! have to scan it, post it to my picturetrail, yada yada yada ...
Old 01-08-2008, 05:10 AM   #196

Keep up the good work Pauline. Please do post that picture.

A few weeks ago I found a post from Kris on another thread. It is fun to see people from the past. I see Lori here and there too.

I am so far up the carb ladder it would be hard to do induction again. I did do it in the late summer and lost some weight. Now I am not even facing the scale but feel well and running hard.I too go by clothes and most of my size 2s are tight and I hate buying 4s but I do have some. Jeez a 4 isn't big and I am told I was too thin but I feel the difference and want to be a 2 but don't want to be accountable to every bite I put in my mouth.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #197
Major LCF Poster!

Pauline,
I hear you on the tight clothes. It makes me remember how I felt at 297 and gets me back into action.

Of course you are doing great, you wouldn't have it any other way!

Your picture is great by the way.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GardenGirl639
Stats: 229/restart 201/193/145 5'3 3/4"
Thanks for linking the article. It was good.

The new picture is great! You look so young in all the pics I've seen of you.

Last edited by GardenGirl639; 01-08-2008 at 10:46 AM..
GardenGirl639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #199

Love the new photo. You look great!!!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #200

LOL! Thanks so much for the compliments on the photo - I actually prefer the older race photo for my avatar lol! I look kind of "otherworldly" in this one and the color is a little weird! lol!! I think I look much happier in the other one! but I think it is good to update them for my friends!

Alex, I think we're turning "normal" lol!! Tight clothes spurring us into action ... now that's a novel one for me!

GG, I guess you mean the link to the Century Club post? If so, check it again, Alex has added some really great insight .. which I guess I'm still chewing on

Deb, Congratulations on finding a liveable wol! Good to hear you're running well! I hope to be back to it soon once the bone spur breaks off - took dh a year when he had one (also from running).

Last edited by TaDa!; 01-08-2008 at 01:36 PM..
Old 01-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #201

DH wanted to know whether I was "on something" the last couple of days, lol! I said no .. but truth is that I'm high on the feeling of being back in control ... Why is it such a hard place to get to - when it is so intoxicating to be here?

Another on-plan day under the belt! I noticed some problem thought paths today .. at 4 pm or thereabouts I usually have a mini-meal, todsy it was tuna (in oil) on lc pita with sliced onion and herbal tea, totally yum. I get close to finishing it and already I'm telling myself "I'm still hungry." which of course I am, the food hasn't hit my stomach yet! There are, for sure, enough fat and calories to satisfy me, but my first instinct is to go quickly stuff more in there until my stomach can feel it. Today I waited for the feeling of fullness to arrive and it did, but my first thought was a near panic "gotta eat, gotta eat" one.

I think that happens a lot with me, and is probably the cause of some of my weight gain - eating again right after having eaten, because I did not get instantaneous satisfaction. Something to work on
Old 01-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #202
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Why is it such a hard place to get to - when it is so intoxicating to be here?
Boy, that IS the question!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #203

January 9, 2008

I woke today just feeling lighter! It is kind of weird not weighing when trying to lose weight. It is liberating to know I am doing the right thing and just looking for the physical signs of weightloss. It makes me really sit up and take notice of how much better I feel. The positive reinforcement of physical feelings, for me, is just so much stronger than that of a number on the scale! The numbers start playing games with my head and nothing is good enough.

I guess part of the difference is that I do not feel desperate to get rid of the weight. I know it will be off by late Spring at the latest, because I know what my body does when I live this way. Weirdly, Maintaining is MUCH more stressful for me. I am coming to the realization that I cannot portion control naturally. I can get thin, but being thin does not mean a mind transplant. I will always live in a mind desperate for good feelings, for food as love, a mind afraid that the food won't be available if I don't eat it now. I need to come up with a new plan for Maintenance.

I think I need to stick to structure - structure which allows for some unstructured meals out of the house (as I already do now on occasion). Grabbing a handful of some snack food when the hunger hits is just not going to work for me, because I end up eating the whole box. It is not my fault. My mind was programmed this way from the time I was a small girl. All I can do is to live within the framework that I have been given - to the best of my ability. I AM a good person. I'm not "broken." I'm just different than other people.

~~~~~~~

Today was a very very tough day. I would eat, feel hungry, wait an hour and still be hungry. I did well, re-arranging my meals and eating to make the hunger pang go away. Maybe TOM? Maybe becasue I worked out so hard?! I don't know, but kind of upsetting. I'll do well if I can get through the rest of the evening .. I'm at 1800 calories, 85 carbs. Hopefully that's where it'll stay.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #204

January 10, 2008

I did end up fine last night - and actually my calorie/carb count was lower than I posted. Today was as easy as yesterday was tough for hunger ... it is so weird!! I did nothing differently really. Maybe when we have one of those insane hungry days, it is just a test of the Gods of Weightloss - and if you pass, you get to be not hungry the next day .. Hmmmmm, I will try to test this theory out again in future.

Yesterday I had to go to a different gym and they only had the regular ellipticals - as oppsed to the climbing type I am used to. Well, after using it, my legs were sore this morning! So I guess they worked some extra muscle that had been slacking off in the hill climbing mode (I pump that thing up to the highest incline), so today I did that type for 50% of my workout and the usual climbing one for 50% ... and poor me, it was lower body weightlifting today ... I think I may be mega-sore tomorrow morning!! lol!!

Good day

Last edited by TaDa!; 01-10-2008 at 06:14 PM..
Old 01-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mack
Stats: (5/23/08) 51 / 33.8 --> / 0
WOE: Healthy lo-carb,seeds,yogurt
Dear ol' Tuff Tigress Pauline,
We have recently cleaned all our latrines
We're hoping that one day
Like this coming Sunday
At Camp Charley you again will be seen.

-Sarge
Trooops ready for inspection, Ma'am
Attached Images
File Type: gif bootcampSarge(smaller).gif (9.5 KB, 117 views)
File Type: gif SSgt Tigress award.gif (2.1 KB, 14 views)
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:39 AM   #206

Gallery: AllieCat0817
Stats: 213.5/142/137
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 5/23/03
Hi Pauline,
So glad to see you posting. Be blessed!
AllieCat0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:40 AM   #207

Mack!!! I am so sorry!! I actually forgot to come in to Camp Charlie last Sunday ... when I remembered, it was Monday and I thought I shouldn't try to sneak in - becasue I know the boys discipline might founder with females popping into camp all the time!

I will claim momentary brain fog left over from the holiday carb fest!!! I miss all of you and will do myself to clear out the brain fog and visit on Sunday!!!!

Old 01-11-2008, 04:42 AM   #208

Waving to Alliecat! Looks like we simul-posted! Thanks so much for looking for me!!! It is great to be back with such wonderful people!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #209

Pink Cadillac, you requested a "menu". It would not be for everyone and I actually don't advocate it for anyone but me, but I guess this would be typical and about 1800-1900 calories, anywhere from 60-90 carbs depending on the day.

meal 1 around 6:15
Atkins morningstart bar
1/2 c. cheerios or 1 oz nuts or 1 oz sunflower seeds
coffee with 1% milk
I stopped buying walnuts due to the high cost hence the cheerios, lol! And I workout very hard after breakfast, so it is a pretty good time to have them

meal 2 Around 12-1:00
veggie burger with american cheese, sliced onion and heinz 1 carb catsup
Joseph's lc pita
side of veggies - brussel sprouts or broccoli
lc protein bar
coffee with 1% milk
I am looking for an easy alternate to the bar after lunch - something sweet, possibly will try the flax muffins

meal 3 Around 3-4:00
Tuna in oil with sliced onion on Joseph's lc pita or veggie sausages with cheese or something like that
herbal tea with splenda
In warmer weather I always make a yogurt concoction for this meal which is 1 c plain lf yogurt, 2T ground flax, 1T whole flax seeds, 2T wheat bran, 1 oz walnuts or such and davincis syrup.

meal 4 Around 6:30
fried eggs with american cheese and hot sauce
side of veggies like chopped spinach or brussel sprouts
or eggplant with cheese and sauce, or fish occasionally, etc.

meal 5 Around 8-9:00
vegetarian sausage and cheese
herbal tea and splenda or sweetzfree
or an orange, or apple, or some cheerios. I try to have these with some kind of fat to temper the blood sugar reaction to higher carbs

On Friday nights I have a couple glasses of red wine and when I eat out - which is not very often - I will on **occasion** eat a breaded dish like eggplant parm, or deep fried fish (as long as it is not a lot of bread - some restaurants are worse than others)

p.s. On a regular exercise day, I burn about 2700 calories - I exercise 5-6 days a week. hth!

Last edited by TaDa!; 01-11-2008 at 12:36 PM..
Old 01-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #210

January 11, 2008

Good Day today. Good workout, Good on Food - 1675 calories, 64 carbs (I was out of the house at a rehearsal so I didn;t have time to cook something tonight - just grabbed some cheese). I summarized some things that helped with binge eating today and will just record them here:

1. Getting rid of everything will not stop you from binge eating (If you are a binge eater). You will binge eat on whatever is in the house. Dr. A uses the example that people won't overeat eggs, for example - but if you are a true binge eater, you do not stuff yourself for the taste so much as, like an alcoholic downs alcohol and yes, you would stuff yourself on hardboiled eggs too. (Dr. A is writing for the normal person without this mental problem)

2. Each person is different as to what feels like restriction for them. I have been able to do Atkins despite the restrictions that are part of the plan. I did induction in 2003 for two weeks and have not done it since, because I feel it may lead me to binge - I know it reduces hunger and cravings drastically, BUT if you have binge eating disorder, it is not cravings that cause binge eating. it is an unconscious attempt to get the flood of good-feeling hormones that eating causes.

3. I went up the carb ladder rung by rung - in my case, I did it per Dr. Atkins instructions a week or two at a time. I found foods and meals that I truly like, not just throwing cold food at myself while cooking for the rest of the family. I need to give myself the message that I am important and taken care of.

4. I broke down my food to 5-6 meals a day, so that pretty much, I can always look ahead to more food - I do not need to feel that unconscious scarcity that can lead to binges.

5. I stopped calorie restriction. I can lose just fine on close to 2000 calories a day (I exercise hard). You should not go below 1500 calories probably. It is not quick weightloss, but if it reduces the binge-eating, it is just as effective in the long term.

6. I allow for eating more once a week and should I have a binge - because yes, it will still happen, especially around TOM, I do not punish myself by extra restriction. I pick up where I left off. This is very very important. And I do the same with exercise - if I slack or miss a day, I do not then do hours of cardio the next day. I pick up where I left off. I have to give myself the feeling of forgiveness and caring - not the message that "I have been bad and need to be punished." Because that will only make the binges increase in intensity when I cannot meet unrealistic requirements or expectations.

7. I have to ****** my food. I have to weigh and measure it otherwise I tend to go off plan. I have to know what my next meal will be pretty much.

8. I avoid the scale. I used to use it to weigh and if I was upset at the number - I would binge. Conversely, if I was happy with the number, i might binge (becasue I could "afford" it).

9. Consider counseling for eating disorder or Overeater's Anonymous.

I think that's a pretty good braindump on the subject.