Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2006, 05:03 PM   #121
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by abercrombie3f
Thanks Pauline! Would you mind taking a look at my routine:
3 days: 45 min walking on treadmill (~3.75 miles), ~30 min weights
3 days: 45 min walking on treadmill
Do you think I should cut back?
I think you could easily do only 4 or 5 days to maintain and not continue to lose weight. Maybe try it out .... I'd try it out by dropping one day of "45 min walking on treadmill."

I would not drop a weights workout ... 3 weights workouts is a good number for maintaining I think.

As fr as trying to find that maintenance point ... it is all a balance between the food and exercise. I'm trying to find my balance right now too and seem to be getting pretty close!

Pauline
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2006, 05:10 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillystring
Pauline - I'm intrigued by this metabolism test. What was involved? Currently I eat anywhere from 1800-2500 calories a day and am losing slowly...but losing. I hope it keeps up!

Have you noticed any difference from the 5-HTP yet? I think it's supposed to work pretty quickly, as long as it's taken separate from other protein. I tried another amino acid recently - GABA, it's supposed to be relaxing - and I felt REALLY WEIRD for two days. I won't be taking that one again!
The 5-htp does seem to have a calming effect on me. I get the sense that I can feel like eating - out of habit - but not feel that physical urge ...

Now about the amino acids ... what exactly does this mean? I took the pill with dinner - ate shrimp as my protein and then had a bowl of yogourt with a scoop of whey protein powder ... this is my usual food lately. Did I mess up?

As for the metabolism test, it really does not tell you anything useful because they calculate your calories needed as based upon an activity level and I am convinced the claculation done was not accurate for me.

So what good does it do to have the number? Well, the only thing I can see is 1. To compare to a future number which would mean shelling out another $50 for the test, which would only be useful in a situation where 2. I was suddenly gaining weight or losing weight despite changing nothing in the way of food and exercise and wanted to determine if maybe I had a metabolism issue ... in which case, it would probably be better to go to the doctor, lol!!

Anyhow!! The test is a machine called Bodygem. My gym that offers it is Bally's Fitness.

hth!!
Old 05-25-2006, 05:19 PM   #123
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: abercrombie3f
Stats: 192, currently 150ish
WOE: moderate/healthy carbs
Start Date: September 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa!
I think you could easily do only 4 or 5 days to maintain and not continue to lose weight. Maybe try it out .... I'd try it out by dropping one day of "45 min walking on treadmill."

I would not drop a weights workout ... 3 weights workouts is a good number for maintaining I think.

As fr as trying to find that maintenance point ... it is all a balance between the food and exercise. I'm trying to find my balance right now too and seem to be getting pretty close!

Pauline
Thanks for your advice Pauline!
abercrombie3f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:43 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sillystring
WOE: LC
Start Date: 2006
[QUOTE=TaDa!]
Now about the amino acids ... what exactly does this mean? I took the pill with dinner - ate shrimp as my protein and then had a bowl of yogourt with a scoop of whey protein powder ... this is my usual food lately. Did I mess up?

As for the metabolism test, it really does not tell you anything useful because they calculate your calories needed as based upon an activity level and I am convinced the claculation done was not accurate for me.
[QUOTE]

In The Diet Cure, the author says to take any amino acids separate from food, otherwise the proteins in the food compete in the body and the amino acids are not absorbed as readily. I think she recommended 1/2 hour before eating, or 1 1/2 hours after eating.

Do you mean that they stick you on a treadmill and measure your vitals at the metabolism test? Or is it more of a survey about your daily activity?
sillystring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:57 PM   #125

Sillystring, the metabolism test is a device they attach to your mouth and you breathe into it for five minutes .. it is measuring oxygen or some such ... but it only gives you your metabolism calories burned .. Mine were 1110 ... that is not the amount to maintain weight or lose weight, just what my body would need, if for example I was in a coma ...

Thanks for the info on the amino acids! The bottle actually says to take it with a meal .. and I do feel an effect, so I guess I won't worry too much, lol!!!

Old 05-25-2006, 06:18 PM   #126

May 25, 2006

9:03 pm
Sitting here, I just realized that weigh-in day has lost all it's charm for me … there'll be no exciting progress to report tomorrow! lol! The measuring tape may hold some promise, but I think inches without weightloss is a hard-won tooth and nail scrabble of a battle. No more glory pounds to claim!!!

Looks like I'll get a glory fix soon enough … I'll be singing the National Anthem at a Red Sox Game against the Oakland A's Saturday, July 15, 7:00 P.M. with the Andover Choral Society.

We've been told that we will be singing live with no delay in the new sound system ... so not sure if we'll be televised or not .... lol! My family is all excited and I am getting emails left and right telling me that they'll be at the game … I hope I don’t trip and knock myself out with the microphone or something!!! Nothing worse than a stadium full of witnesses ….

---------------------------------------------

Weight

Food
calories: 2098
carbs: 69
fats: 131 58%

Exercise
Run: 60 minutes … 9.3 minute mile
(looks like I'm recovering some from the cold)
Old 05-29-2006, 04:54 PM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Hi Pauline! Hope you're enjoying your Memorial Day!

Have you noticed any difference from the 5-HTP yet? I haven't unfortunately. I am really lacking energy and may up my carbs to 30-40 over the next few days to see how I feel (more of a protein power plan). My body doesn't cope with very low carbs well.

Anyway...just wanted to check in with you
Old 05-30-2006, 04:10 AM   #128

Sillystring ... the 5-htp has had the opposite effect on me ... caused me to want to overeat and obsess on food. I took it for like 4 days and had the problem every night. I did not take it yesterday and it was a much more normal night - thank goodness!!

There is no reason for you to stay at 20 carbs on Atkins .... Why don;t you join us on the Carb Ladder Challenge and consider going up the Carb Ladder in 5 carb increments? We have just had two new folks join us and they are just starting out on upping their carbs and seem to be doing well. The link to this week's thread is here:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...d.php?t=429436

Come in there and tell us what you are doing for a program!! I know you will get some good ideas on how to up your carbs in a controlled manner so you keep losing ...
Old 06-03-2006, 04:24 PM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdouglass
Stats: 185/180/120
WOE: Atkins
Tada...I just want to tell you how much of an inspiration you are to me. I have been listening to your words and all of your responses in posts for a good while now. I find that the place you are at now is where I ultimately want to be and I cannot wait to get there!

I am not an obese person but I am at least 60-70 pounds overweight. I have put myself here through active choice- the choice to binge and eat and eat and eat. It hasn't been a creeping journey over the last few years. This is a battle of mine (binge eating) that I consider to be one of the hardest struggles for me to win. I know I have a lot of work a head of me. I haven't quite made it through a whole day yet but I'm getting there. I think tomorrow is going to be a new day for me. Something feels like it's right...it's time to make this happen. I think a lot of it started when I recently read a thread you posted on in the ML called patience. That is something I do not have much of.

I've always been the girl who does the drastic measures to lose weight and it always works. But now...I'm at my heaviest and want to do this right. I want to be healthy and real and happy. I don't ever want to be in this place again in my life which is why I know that is has to be the healthy way this time. No crazy fasts or drastic measures...just me eating read foods, exercising (which I love!) and being me. I can't wait to be in a place where I'm not always thinking about the thinner me I want to be. I want to look at food and love my choices, not feel the urge to binge and eat until I simply have to go to bed. I can't wait for that feeling!

I hope you realize how many lives you touch on this board, me being one of them. I would love to keep in touch with you as I begin this process. I don't have a journal right now and am contemplating beginning one.

Thank you again Tada for sharing your experience with this board. You are such a tremendous woman!

Happy weekend!
Jenn
Old 06-03-2006, 07:00 PM   #130

Oh Jenn, Thank you so much for your kind kind words. I see so much promise in your post. You say you always take drastic measures and they work ... but, of course, they don't really work because we can never get to where we are going. We rebel way way before we ever really get anywhere at all.

In your new start, I hope you have the strength to buck the trend you have set for yourself to "diet," and instead design a liveable weightloss plan.

I love your dream of an easy eating lifestyle .. but I will tell you, I still plan out my entire day more or less ... I am hoping to get to that place too, but you know what, even if if I have to write down my food list the rest of my life, in a healthy strong body, it sure beats the alternative.

Thanks so much for stopping into my journal!

Pauline
Old 06-04-2006, 05:33 AM   #131

May 26, 2006

Weight

Food
calories: 3099
carbs: 81
fats: 173 53%

Exercise
Run: 40 minutes ( 9 minute mile)
Weights: 45 minutes (lower body)

May 27, 2006

Weight

Food
calories: 2671
carbs: 62
fats: 184 66%

Exercise
Weights: 45 minutes (upper body)

May 28, 2006

Weight

Food
calories: 2942
carbs: 106
fats: 198 63%

Exercise
Run: 60 minutes

May 29, 2006

Weight

Food
calories: 2102
carbs: 66
fats: 133 58%

Exercise
Rest Day

May 30, 2006

Weight

Food
calories: 3316
carbs: 79
fats: 222 63%

Exercise
Run: 40 minutes ( 10 minute mile)

May 31, 2006

Weight

Food
calories: 2077
carbs: 60
fats: 148 66%

Exercise
Run: 40 minutes ( 10 minute mile)
Weights: 42 minutes (upper body)

June 1, 2006

Weight

Food
calories: 2115
carbs: 70
fats: 140 62%

Exercise
Run: 40 minutes ( 9.5 minute mile)
Weights: 45 minutes (upper body)
Old 06-04-2006, 05:34 AM   #132

June 2, 2006

Today is my 3rd Atkins-versary

What an amazing thing! I am at goal - Me - who never stayed on a diet plan more than a week or two. Me - who shunned physical activity like a black cat. and 75 of those 111.5 lbs I have kept off for two years.

I stayed with it through the ups and downs, battled through periods of small weight gain, surgery when I could not exercise for 2 months, vacations, holidays, temptation. I plodded along and did not let any of these things derail me.

When obstacles appeared, I problem-solved. I continually re-evaluated what I was doing and changed things and my view of food, exercise and life.

I cannot wait to come here and announce my fourth Atkins-versary. My goal has never been a number on a scale. My goal has always been to make a lifetime change and to maintain it "forever."

There is no such thing as a quick fix. If you can commit to the long haul, you will lick this problem and throw off the burden of obesity or overweight that you struggle with.

Come join me! Make your goal one that you can measure in years, not pounds!!!!!!!

Weight

Food
calories: 2121
carbs: 69
fats: 135 57%

Exercise
Weights: (Lower Body)
Old 06-04-2006, 05:36 AM   #133

June 3, 2006

A Banner Day!!!!!!! In honor of my 3rd Atkinsversary maybe??!!

8.6 minute mile
8.6 minute mile
8.6 minute mile

On my 4.5 mile run!!!!!!! It is just unbelievable for me. Dare I think that I could get even faster in time??!! I don’t do speedwork. I don’t do organized hillwork. All I do is run (well, and lift heavy weights) … Maybe I am not "slow" at all. I realize that I probably will not repeat this pace for a while, lol!! Certainly not when I'm running with Eileen - can't talk and run for any amount of time at that pace … all though I did belt out a chorus of American Girl yesterday at one point ….

I haven't been journaling and I think it is high time I got back in here! DH is away in Ireland for a week and a half and so I am running around like a chicken getting the girls to all their end of year activities.

Weight

Food
calories: 2081
carbs: 73
fats: 139 61%

Exercise
Run: 40 minutes ( 8.6 minute mile)
Weights: (Upper Body)
Old 06-04-2006, 06:31 PM   #134

June 4, 2006

8:37 am
Well my weight is down again at 124.5 .. I am feeling a little dehydrated this morning, so that and the fast run probably account for that! I ran a ****** report and my average calories for the last week are 2300 which is what I had calculated to be my maintenance level … still figuring that out though! lol!

I guess I forgot to mention that yesterday's workout was actually a planned rest day! But dd's soccer was canceled due to storms and field conditions, so I decided to take advantage and schedule my extra rerst day during the week … what a nice surprise to have such a good run -- especially as it was my 5th consecutive run this week!!

9:19 pm I just watched the television show "The 627 Pound Woman." It was really heartbreaking to hear her speak about herself prior to her gastric bypass surgery.

"I just want to be like everyone else .... I just want to feel human again ... to walk ... to feel like a woman again."

Those words really struck a chord with me. I see folks come to the boards obsessed with loose skin and stretch marks. Maybe they are trying to enable themselves to stay fat -- or maybe it is just an absurd sense of vanity.

Yes I do have those things. But I have something I feel as if I never had before in my life. Dignity. I am the same as everyone else who walks down that street. I can be anonymous. I am not on display - the fat woman. I do not have to feel apologetic or less than anyone else. it is about dignity - entering the human race as an equal.

This is serious ****. This isn't about bikinis.

Weight

Food
calories: 2060
carbs: 62
fats: 139 63%

Exercise
Exercise rest day
Old 06-04-2006, 06:56 PM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa!
This is serious ****. This isn't about bikinis.
I LOVE THIS QUOTE!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #136

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Sillystring, I like it too!

Just poppin in to be inspired.

Always a given!

WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:41 PM   #137

Thank You Ladies :blush:
Old 06-06-2006, 04:42 PM   #138

June 6, 2006

7:30 pm
I had a really nice private message from a fellow traveler on the boards yesterday and was surprised to find that people actually look at my food stats at the bottom of my posts. I have really been doing that for myself so I can look back when something happens with my weight or cravings or something and see what is going on. Thanks to our discussion about nutrient ratios in Atkins and BFFM, I realized that my protein stat is probably also something I should keep half an eye on, lol!

So, I went over to ****** and it would appear that, in the last month on "Maintenance," I generally eat 25% to 30% protein (mostly at the 25% level) which comes out to 125-155 grams of protein a day! Wow! That is quite a bit!

I seem to recall a rule of thumb for muscle building that is .5 - 1 gram of protein per body weight ... So with me in the 125 range, I am really doing well in that department considering I am not pushing the protein in any way, just eating the way I have learned to eat on Atkins with the addition of an extra bar or whey powder once a day mid-workout to the one I already eat pre-workout (Thank You Tom Venuto and the Muscle Matters Board! lol!)

OK, I just went back to ****** ... lol! I am now intrigued by these stats and was curious where I have been on most of my journey!

Spring 2003 - Spring 2004
My First Year On Atkins
Calorie Average: 1250-1500 calories
Protein Average: 60-73 grams 15%-25%
Fat Average: 90-130 grams 70-78%
Carbohydrates: 15-20 net carbs 5%
Weightloss: 2 pounds a week on average (Weight: From 236.5 - 146 lbs)

Summer 2004-Summer 2005
Yo-Yo Binge-Restrict-Binge Cycle
Due to low calories and restrictive dieting. Gained 20 pounds eating ALL lowcarb legal Atkins foods. Also only used ****** sporadically while on restrictive dieting methods like fat fast, etc. Weightloss: 20+ pound weight gain (Weight: From 138 - 162 lbs)

September 2005- April 2006
Going up the Carb Ladder
Calorie Average: 1800 calories (+ Friday 2000+ calorie day)
Protein Average: 90 grams 22%
Fat Average: 120 grams 63%
Carbohydrates: 40-65 net carbs 10%-14%
Weightloss: 1 pound a week on average (Weight: From 162 - 123.5 lbs)

April 2006 to the current day
Attempting to find my Maintenance levels.
Still losing weight on the following:
Calorie Average: 2300 calories (2100 calories a day + days of indiscretion, lol!)
Protein Average:125 grams 25%
Fat Average: 130 grams 60%
Carbohydrates: 70 net carbs 13%
Weightloss: Some weightloss, no good average figures yet. Goal is to maintain at 125-130 lbs.

I have an appointment tomorrow morning for a physical ... first one since October 2003. I have lost about 55 pounds since then (the other half I had to lose, lol!). This should be very interesting ... I hope he doesn't tell me that Atkins is going to kill me ...

--------------------------------------------

Weight

Food
calories: 1968
carbs: 67
fats: 136 63%
protein: 110 23%

Exercise
Run: 40 minutes (9 minute mile)
Weights: 40 minutes (upper body)
Old 06-06-2006, 05:00 PM   #139
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Pauline--you truly are an inspiration!! Way to be!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 05:04 PM   #140

Pauline,

Your posts, both here and in the Challenge, are one of the first things I look for when I log online to LCF.

Very informative, enlightening, thought-provoking.....INSPIRATIONAL.

Interesting thots about the protein.

I've also read on Muscle Matters board that it's up to 1.5 grams of protein for each pound of LBM, is considered ideal.

Comparing your protein to mine, I may be too high. Might need to rethink that.

Since trying to incorporate BFFM principles, I've gotten the "fear of fat" concept in my blood! So to offset, I've upped protein. Adding more carbs only served to make me hungrier. I guess I'm more sensitive than I realized.

Thanks for adding these stats/history notes. Helpful.

May I join you guys on the LCL Challenge? I need more accountability, and it helps to have the experience of others!

Old 06-06-2006, 05:54 PM   #141

Twyla! We would love to have you on the ladder challenge!! Debbie recently went to BFFM over there. And if you really really pay attention to your add-ins like we do over there, you may find that you can tolerate more carbs, or at least find a satisfactory balance for yourself ... myself, i think I can go above 70 net and still maintain. Just haven't found the right level yet ... getting to goal screwed up my carb ladder climbing some, lol!! (but just temporarily!)

I wouldn't assume that my protein ratios are ideal by any means!! They are below that 1.5x body weight figure you posted .. My measuring stick would be: is it working? are you progressing toward whatever your main current goal? i.e. fatloss or muscle building, etc.

I think the hardest thig for us all to swallow is the fact that you can't build major muscle and lose fat concurrently .. Once things settle down for me and I know what it takes to maintain, I am seriously considering the zig-zag method Tom Venuto talks about, where you do fat loss for a certain period (i.e. lose weight), then you do muscle building (i.e. put on weight), all in an attempt to get a better body composition but keep your scale weight from dipping too low ...

If I do it, I will likely take the same approach I have been ... that is doing it Atkins-style! Like times of OWL and lower carb / calorie (still high-ish compared to most!! not starvation rations!) interspersed with maintenance level carb/calorie ... it is something that has been percolating in the back of my head ....
Old 06-06-2006, 06:27 PM   #142

....and as THAT idea percolates, I'll stay tuned!

Old 06-08-2006, 05:55 AM   #143

I'm glad you joined us over at the ladder Twyla!! It's fun figuring all this crep out! lol!! Well ... when it's not maddening, that is!
Old 06-08-2006, 06:01 AM   #144

June 7, 2006

I went back to my books to find the place where Dr. Atkins speaks about appetite suppression on Lifetime Maintenance -- what I was referring to as ketosis ... I suppose it is an element of ketosis, just not the full ketosis of Induction. Here are Dr. Atkins own words from Atkins For Life. I will post this on Main Board at some point today when I have time:

"During the Induction phase of Atkins, the physiological "gift" of lipolysis/ketosis suppresses hunger. If you've done Induction, you'll probably remember the feeling of freedom, of no longer being a slave to your appetite that's a wonderful side effect of burning body fat for energy. But Induction is just a stepping stone and when the slimmer and more energetic you graduates from that phase and you begin eating progressively more carbohydrates, you have to give up that ever-present appetite suppressant as your body burns both fat and carbs for energy.

Fortunately, even in Lifetime Maintenance, you have a "secret" weapon, which will assist you in staying in control of your hunger. The way to keep such cravings under control is to stay at or below your ACE (Atkins Carbohydrate Equilibrium).* This level of carb consumption allows you to burn both carbs and fat for energy, meaning that you are less likely to experience the ups and downs of blood sugar fluctuations that can cause carb cravings. But in addition to this physiological mechanism, you need to add mental fortitude. People who are permanently slim are not any less tempted by food; they simply deal with temptation differently. And once you have made up your mind that you simply will not eat certain things -- ever -- there is a remarkable sense of relief and pride in your resolve that signals closure.

But quite possibly you will need to strengthen your relationship with your old familiar friend called self-control. That means developing strategies for dealing with the occasional hunger pangs or cravings that can be brought on by stress, going too long between meals, going above your ACE, or simply eating a high-glycemic food you haven't had in a while ..."

Another excerpt:

"Understand this: Willpower alone won't cut it, as anyone who has ever been unable to stick with any diet will attest. But willpower in concert with suppression of certain physiological demands can work. No amount of willpower will overcome the body's need to raise low blood sugar when it gets too low; the result of eating excessive carbs, leading to high blood glucose, which in turn leads to over-production of insulin to transport the glucose to cells. To reiterate the point: As long as you are not under the influence of fluctuating blood sugar and resultant hunger, you should be much more able to call the shots. and that is where willpower comes in."

Dr. Atkins, Atkins For Life, c 2003, chapter 7 "Everyday Challenges," pp. 101-108

*In Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, the Doctor refers to this same concept as "CCLM" or "Critical Carbohydrate level For Maintenance"

Weight

Food
calories: 2367
carbs: 78
fats: 151 60%
protein: 153 27%

Exercise
Rest Day

Last edited by TaDa!; 06-08-2006 at 06:04 AM..
Old 06-08-2006, 06:52 AM   #145

Pauline,

Flat amazing.

Just flat amazing.

You can eat that many cals, that many fat grams/carbs, and still lose and/or maintain.

WTH am I doing wrong?

I'm stalkin' ya, girl.

I want your secret!
Old 06-08-2006, 07:02 AM   #146
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Pauline--I was looking at your stats. Way to go girl!! You amaze me!! lol
I was wondering if you tried to maintain that many grams of fat or if it fluctuated. I have read to get .5 g for every pound but does it really matter?? Usually mine seems to be between 80-90 grams. Is it okay to increase??
Old 06-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #147

Twyla I guess I never did appreciate what I do have, lol! It takes others to point out how lucky I am, lol! I truly appreciate it!!!!! Thanks

Aber, I actually have not made any conscious effort about anything BUT calories and carbs -- and otherwise, eating to my preferences and the carb ladder add-ins. That's it.

I did every lowfat diet and did the old "keep your fat at 25 grams" thing and absolutely hated it. If I can maintain and keep my fats high, I could care less if I never eat another french fry in my entire life ... but that's me, scarred by melba toast and rice cakes in the 70s and 80s

I think it is ok to increase your fat, especially in your situation where you want to add calories and seem to have trouble keeping your weight up to the right level. It is certainly ok on the weightloss portion if you follow an Atkins approach, of course!! And then once you are adding in new carbier foods like we have done, it is a balancing act for many. I guess I really am lucky that 1) I knew what I wanted -- to continue eating higher fat and that 2) My preference and my food add-ins happen to have been a great combination for my body .. I did go too high on carbs at one point, but quickly got back to slow and steady experiementation ..
Old 06-08-2006, 06:42 PM   #148

June 8, 2006

9:21 pm
I received my monthly newsletter from Tom Venuto, author of BFFM. As usual it was full of inspiration. The following are three excerpts from June's editorial. God!!! How I love this man!!!:

[COLOR=Purple]"... The rewards of the disciplined path are greater than the sacrifices you make to pursue it. The more difficult and disciplined the path, the greater the rewards.

And perhaps even more significant, the pain of not pursuing the path you were destined to pursue is far greater than the pain of the sacrifices you make to pursue it.

If nothing is ventured, nothing can be gained... No rewards. No satisfaction. You merely exist… and you exist with a feeling of emptiness and unfulfillment as your constant companion.

We are not here to merely exist. We are here to live, to grow and to express our potential...."

"... Some people may not have recognized their calling yet, but it’s already inside of each and every one of us, it’s simply a matter of connecting or tuning in to it. It’s like the station has been continuously broadcasting a message inside you all your life, and you simply have to turn the tuner to the right position on the dial and then listen.

When you listen to that inner voice, you feel contentment, satisfaction, alignment, and congruency, a feeling of being “on purpose” and “on the right track.”

If you’ve tuned in and you hear that voice speaking to you, but you ignore it, there are consequences ..."

"... Rollo May, in his book, The Courage To Create, said that the opposite of courage is not cowardice. The opposite of courage is conformity.

When you have the courage to resist the pressure to conform to what other people want for you in order to pursue your own calling, don’t be surprised to see the disapproval of others eventually turn into respect.

As strategic coach Dan Sullivan says, it's better to be exceptional than to be acceptable... better to stand out than to fit in... better to be productive than to be popular.

We are all faced with these questions:

Do we pursue what we came here to do, or do we ignore our calling and listen to what others want for us?

The answer we must arrive at eventually is that even though we may disappoint others because we choose to pursue our own dreams, we MUST have the courage to pursue them anyway, or we will be sentenced to uninspired lives of quiet desperation.

Dr. Wayne Dyer gives some great advice about this. He says,

“Don’t die wondering. This is extremely important in working towards an inspired life because it motivates us to act – after all, we don’t want to be full of regrets because we failed to heed our ultimate calling. We don’t tend to regret what we do, we regret what we didn’t do.”

The idea of “dying with my music still in me” does it for me every time. Picturing myself in the last days of my life, looking back and wondering what I could have become, if only I had made the attempt, is simply too painful to bear…. And the mere thought of it keeps me going and growing.

So many people today are filled with a feeling of emptiness, a feeling that there must be something more. I believe that this is our calling, speaking to us, longing to be heard, acted upon and expressed.

Listen to it, and have the courage to pursue it.

Train hard and expect success
[/COLOR]

Tom Venuto's editorial in his June 2006 Newsletter
http://www.tomvenuto.com/newsletterjune2006.html

Weight

Food
calories: 2229
carbs: 72
fats: 157 65%
protein: 119 22%

Exercise
Run: 40 minute (9 minute mile)
Old 06-08-2006, 07:26 PM   #149
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks for the advice Pauline! Also, I know you use pesto a lot--do you make it or buy it. I looked for it today at the grocery and couldnt seem to find it...
Old 06-09-2006, 04:04 AM   #150

Aber I use the pesto here and there. I buy "Pastene" brand. it is in the aisle with the spaghetti, near the specialty Italian items in a small jar. I've tried other brands but only like the Pastene or homemade. hth!

There are other really good sauces and dips in the refrigerated section of the market that are lowcarb and can add a bit of fat - I find a local chopped olive tapenade, a garlic butter mix that makes anything into "scampi", have seen a nice cheese and bean spread etc ... whenever you see some weird sauce at the market, check it out, lol! That's what I do ...