Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 07:04 AM   #1441
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debbiedo
Stats: pretty close to perfect!
WOE: mindful eating/running off the pounds
Start Date: over and over again
a little potato is not bad either. especially a small sweet potato. I find I can eat them with no butter or anything. I can't do that with a regular potato.

I am off all the complex carbs and fruits right now and have to add them back.I am down to a decent weight and need to start adding in foods for maintenance during marathon training and I know the feeling of eating things once thought to be forbidden.
debbiedo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2011, 04:48 AM   #1442

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Go Debbie!!!! Eating during marathon training would be a whole other thing!!! Despite what people say about the fat-burning mechanism of Atkins, I just know I run slower than I could due to my food intake .. times I have binged the night before (i.e. unintentional carb-loading), I often can claim a p.r. time the next day, lol! even though I feel like crap from the carbs during the run, lol!

Wednesday May 11, 2011

I realized I am coming up on a year since I made my goal at TOPs .. and have maintained within a 5-pound range now for almost a whole year (before it was a bigger range and kinda willy nilly). It is funny, it is 7 years since I hit normal 25 bmi, and 5 years since I hit this goal weight, 23 bmi, and I am suddenly having new body image thoughts about weighing less than this .. but I think it is more dissatisfaction with body shape than actual weight and something all "normal weight" people experience. I spent so many years worrying about being just beyond normal -- fat -- that having too big a chest and being very curvy was the least of my concerns and even a positive thing since I could cinch my waist in clothing and give the illusion of a figure since I am a pear shape and not an apple.

Now it bugs me that I can't always get the long lean look I like in summer clothes .. it is easy in fall and winter with shirt styles that I wear then, but come the short summer tshirts and I am a short Betty Boop .. minimizer bras only get you so far .. akkkhhhhhhh!!

On the other hand, I am unwilling to eat less or exercise more than I do to maintain this weight (128-130) .. I realize though that if I was able to stop binge eating at all, my weight would probably settle a couple pounds lower which makes a big difference at this weight. I am lucky I can get through the emotional binges and still maintain (thank you God!) .. and it is not as though I am not working on it all the time. I am. But maybe I need to think about that body image thing when I am in danger of binge eating ... as if that'll help. But it is a thought ..
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:27 AM   #1443

Monday May 23, 2011

Wow what a shocker! I haven't been around much the last few days as I have been packing up all of my youngest's toys which she wants to donate and feeling inspired, I have been packing up a huge number of our things basically trying to empty out our entire first floor to redo it in a more minimalist way taking into account things we would like to do there rather than making it a big storage pit.

I found 4 vhs videos taken in 2002 and 2004 when my kids were being filmed for a special child identification service, fingerprints, etc etc. and in one of the 2002 videos, my youngest could not stand up and so I had to bring her on camera - o.m.g. I was a different person. I was sooooo big. I mean, I know I was, because I always was, but to see me walk in there. Wow.

It probably is the only video of me from "before" as I never let anyone photograph me, etc - never mind video. I think I will watch it again today while everyone is out of the house. It shocks me now.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:14 AM   #1444
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: youthfuliz
Stats: 156/146.6/130, size 4, 5'5"
WOE: Paleo, Leptin Reset
Start Date: 12/30/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
OK .. posting it here. It is some reflection on reality versus living in denial, in a mental construct of excuses ... how it plays out in, and is part and parcel of our many many life choices:

The Real Changes You Have To Make ..

to change your life from the life of a morbidly obese person (defined by drs as 100+ lbs over normal bmi) to that person who is slimmer, more active, energetic and happy with life ... hit me the other day.

It is not just about the food or the exercise. It is not just about the plan you follow. It is about a complete change in your thinking ... going from a person who avoids life to one who jumps in.

The thought hit me on Monday afternoon - Columbus Day. We had just had a long day at a local harvest fair by the sea. As we were heading home my youngest started talking about how she was disappointed that both her usual Saturday game and the Monday afternoon soccer practice were off due to the holiday. Having her complain about not getting some physical activity is actually an amazing thing!! She was overweight and it took us a few years to normalize her eating and get her into an active lifestyle, and now to find the desire to be that active person coming from her ... well, it's awesome ...

So we get home to find an email .. the coach is holding a practice that day .. and it's in 15 minutes (and 15 minutes across town)!! I could have told her we got the email too late - I was tired and had made dh leave the fair so I could rest before I had to make dinner - Instead I yelled, "Get your cleats on!! Coach is going to have a practice!" (lol! I think Dh was shocked!!!) She screamed with happiness and went to get ready ..

Yesterday, while I was doing laundry, my little dd asked me if I would go for a hike when I finish .. and we did (we live in a State Forest and off of hundreds of acres of private conservation land too - lucky us!). While we were walking, she was making big plans for hiking the Appalachian Trail (she just learned about in school) or the Bay Circuit Trail which we live on ...

Back to soccer ... What a contrast with one of my daughter's friends .. When I opened that email and we were getting ready to go, I decided I owed to the other mum who carpools with me, to call and check to see if the other little girl would like rides from me as I was just going to stay for the practice. I kinda knew the other mother would sigh and whine, saying "I don't think we're going to go ..." as she decided not to send her dd last week either (due to the weather). She added, that she hadn't gotten the email (which I kinda doubt - as there were three emails, lol!) ... making me feel like I wasn't doing any kind of favor by calling them - I was making her feel guilty. I know. I used to be her.

The sad thing is that this little girl has been getting heavier in the last few years as my dd has slimmed down. The mother, herself, is overweight and is totally projecting her own feelings onto her little girl ... if you can come up with an excuse not to be active or not to eat junk food, use it! They are going to both end up "people who stay at home" and wonder why they are "the only ones" who gain weight ..

It struck me that I lived most of my life like that other little girl and her mother and only by changing my outlook have I been able to change my body. Changing my relationship to food has been about changing my relationship to the world around me .. no weather, fatigue, or any other excuse was going to stop me from doing the right thing for myself, my family, or friends. And this is not just about being physically active .. it is social activity too - any kind of thing you have been keeping yourself from doing, worrying that you'd be required or asked to do ...

When was the last time you jumped out the door instead of hiding?! It is a slow process. It takes time to change. But it is worth considering.
I've been reading your journal and have to tell you how I enjoy it. Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts here!
youthfuliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #1445

Awwwww!! Thank you Youthfuliz! I am glad you like it.

Pauline
Old 05-26-2011, 04:23 AM   #1446

Thursday May 26, 2011

The power of denial simply amazes me. People will say and do almost anything to hang onto their psychological constructs - with respect to weightloss, to addictions like alcohol, to other destructive behaviors, etc. They do not ever **want** to do the hard stuff that might take them to their professed goals (who does?), so they spend amazing amounts of energy on why they should not do these things, because they do not "work" ... They ask me "how did you lose so much weight" and then immediately knee-jerk back: "I could never do ______(fill in the blank - lowcarb, calorie count, portion control, exercise, food log, etc etc)" They will hang on to whatever "expert" happens to be drumming up followers at the time by giving people what they want to hear.

Well, I am sorry. Weightloss is hard. Maintenance is hard. If you were really really fat - like me - you are going to have to do things and change things that are hard and accept that the rest is just static. I lived the life of denial and resentment for 38 years. As I posted elsewhere, I could name a long list of reasons why it was not my fault and why it was unfair that I was morbidly obese since childhood. But the only relevant thing is that I put that aside and moved on to do what needed to be done. I did the hard things. I changed my life. I accepted that I have to count calories (or take note of portion sizes) as well as exercise to get to this amazing place I am right now - and that the only way to stay here is to continue these habits. Instead of using my brain to justify my problems, I put it to endless problem-solving so I could work toward each issue as it arose - each thing I didn't like or didn't want to do, accepting that when something did not work, I needed to change what I was doing.

To distill it down to it's essentials, next time someone asks me how I lost the weight, and what I would recommend, I have a new reply ready:

Stop the Pity Party and Get Busy

Because if you look around, you will see that is exactly what the successful losers and maintainers do. They just get on with business.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #1447

.. the funny thing? I do not believe in "Tough Love" per se. I am very against restrictive dieting (carb or calorie) and against mental punishment for not doing things we know we **should**.

I believe in personal responsibility and in acknowledgement of our own shortcomings, that's all. No excuses or enablement. It is something I am working in other areas of my life right now. In a few days I will have been on Atkins for 8 years and I think I have defined a new personal project that will be as tough as the weight one has been for me .. and is one that is probably related to my weight problem. I'll write about it soon prolly ..

Last edited by TaDa!; 05-26-2011 at 01:16 PM..
Old 05-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #1448
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
WOW. Good stuff. Thank you.
kbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #1449
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tony8
Stats: At my heaviest: 272 Since 4/7/10: 245/236.8/185
WOE: my own - low carb - low cal - low fat
Start Date: April 7, 2010
hey tada, you are absolutely right!...thanks for sharing your insights... :-)
tony8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #1450
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LIVE_FREE_NH
Stats: 254/208/175 5'8
WOE: LC my way, low dairy
Yay Pauline you rock! Yup, it boils down to picking oneself up by one's bootstraps -- No one else is going to do it for you.

"Stop the Pity Party and Get Busy" (or, as I would say, "QUIT F-ING AROUND AND GET ON WITH IT!)

Because if you look around, you will see that is exactly what the successful losers and maintainers do. They just get on with business

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!!!!!!
LIVE_FREE_NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #1451
Senior LCF Member

there're psychological reasons why we are who we are - at least before we see ourselves clearly and intentionally try to improve. at first, we just repeat what we learned as babies, kids, teenagers. we learned how to interact with people, how to motivate or criticize (sadly) people, how to survive and get accepted in our immediate social environment through watching our parents, (or nanny, daycare teacher), kindergarden teacher, school teacher, elder sisters and brothers, friends, classmates...etc, all those that we interact may leave a mark on our behavior. sometimes we learn to do what they do, sometimes we think we'd better avoid some behaviors. AND in general, we treat ourselves the same way we treat people - we learned to motivate or criticize. until we realize that we don't have to repeat the old pattern, and try to improve, or free ourselves.

the best kind of love we can give anyone, is being supportive, dependable, and always encouraging her to achieve her best potential and be happy on that journey. that's the kind of love we should give ourselves too.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #1452

Thanks Kbeth, Tony, Nancy and Youthful

I keep seeing myself when I listen to others' rationalizations (here and irl) and it is helping me reinforce the change because I see and feel like I have been to both sides of it, and come out on the healthier side. Sometimes i feel like I am talking to myself .. it is very weird.

Youthfuliz, Thank you for that beautiful thought .. I am so with you on giving ourselves the kindness we would freely give to others!! It is the only way to get results and change in our life, I think.

Friday May 27, 2011

My thought for the day:

Every human being is the author
of his own health or disease.
-Buddha
Old 06-04-2011, 03:32 AM   #1453

June 3, 2011

June 3rd marked 8 years on Atkins for me! Wow!! That is 7 years maintaining my 90 pound weightloss, and really only one year maintaining the full 108 pounds. What a great but difficult year 2010-2011 has been -- and what a huge personal victory for me.

In past years my weight would go up 10-15 pounds every year and I'd spend half the year taking it back off, so from morbidly obese person, I had turned into the average American yo-yo dieter .. a concept I can now fully understand. At one time in my life I resented people moaning about having to lose that amount of weight when I needed to lose so much. Now, I truly understand how any excess weight puts a person in a similar mindframe and similar issues as the morbidly obese even though there are some differences ..

Anyhow, this year, my weight range stayed mostly 128-131, (hitting a low of 126 twice, and a high of 132 four times). It has been tough battling the binge eating, but really worth it, and even with some bad times, I have maintained, so this year's anniversary feels very meaningful .. I am on to stage 3 of this pain in the ass journey, settling in for the long haul. I will say, it is just as tough as losing weight, except you get to do it ... forever ...

June 2010-June 2011

Score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #1454
Senior LCF Member

Really wonderful achievement! Just as anything else in life, consistency is the King (or Queen)
Old 06-05-2011, 05:26 AM   #1455

Thanks so much Youthfuliz

June 5, 2011

It strikes me how I evolve year to year .. yesterday was such an example of that, and was all unplanned - just happened. I spent the morning at a recycling point to get rid of a huge old tv, 2 computers and a broken karaoke monitor .. then continued to work on my project to rehabilitate and change a former playroom into an amazing den .. I made dh take little dd to soccer (and cancel his plan to run there and meet us) since big dd started to clear the shelves in her room (under major duress from me!) and I had to supervise her and pack up her donations, etc ...

Since she did end up doing a good job of it, I let my older dd have a friend over spur-of-the-moment - something I would have had trouble with in the past - afraid that the house would be in a "state". I spontaneously decided to take my younger dd for a hike in a nearby bog we walk to from our house - has boardwalks as it is part of a big conservation area. I came back, piled the kids in the car and headed around the corner to a farm for homemade ice cream (them - not me). I made dinner, did more work on the downstairs project and called it a night ..

I have been spending a lot of time in my downstairs former playroom (little dd just decided to pack it all up and donate it!!!). Half of the room has been a mess and a magnet for boxes of clutter. I felt very motivated by little dd's sacrifice. She is something else! and by the amazing re-do I did of her room this past winter after months of her begging for me to paint it a new color, etc. It looks amazing and cost me under $200 between paint and new curtains, bedspread, rug, and lamps from Target.

I know the downstairs den is going to be wonderful if I can just focus and not stress on what is not perfect in other rooms. I get paralyzed by the amount of things I want to change - and my need for perfection - and end up doing nothing, lol! This time, I will focus, take it step by step ..

clear of unnecessary items, pare to the essentials
paint walls and closet,
get new flooring,
get ceiling repaired and electrician in,
get furniture,
figure out storage and the gym area
get dh to replace 4 doors ...

hahahaaa that is one room!! but at least if I focus on it, it will be one amazing room completed by the New Year .. hopefully sooner!

I think I have ocd and some of those feelings the hoarders get - even though I am not a hoarder. I am hoping these are all things of the past. I have certainly changed a lot of them over time:

* The saving of projects that I never got done such that they clutter up living space.
* leaving projects or unfinished tasks out as a reminder to do them .. guilt tripping myself.
* getting overwhelmed and doing nothing.
* buying cheap crap that I am going to "fix up" that I never have the time or the vision to do properly, when it would have made more sense to spend the money and buy the right thing from the get-go.
* Allowing my kids to get away with not doing their share.
* In the past focusing on things dh had promised but had let fall by the wayside, instead of "leading by example", getting my *s* together and inspiring others in the house to do their part .. and be in a position to demand it, lol!

I feel like this is all changing for the better -- and I am thrilled about it. I do have some other anxieties and things that I need to work on, but right now, this is something that is really going well for me. becoming responsible for my weight has helped me become more responsible in other areas of my life .. not everything, but moving forward ..

baby steps baby steps ...
Old 06-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #1456
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCinSC
Stats: 314/274.5/180 6'0"
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 6/1/2011 at 282 lbs
Hi Pauline! I just found your journal! The chart of your past year of maintenance looks fantastic.

Reading about your playroom/den redo reminds me of my house and my own perfectionism. For years I couldn't do anything because if it couldn't be PERFECT I wouldn't do it. I was starting to change that mindset, and getting pregnant with my son helped. There were some things that just HAD to get done, perfection or not, and now I am more able to leave things as "good enough" or "better than they were" and not strive for perfection. My mother is a perfectionist so I come by it naturally. Except in my eyes she seems to achieve the perfection I am left striving for.

Anyway, I'm so glad to have found your journal. I think we have similar mindsets, so I'm sure I will learn and be inspired as I read through it!

Labor Day Challenge Goal: 250! Starting July 5!
280 279 278 277 276 275.8 275 274 273 272 271 270 269 268 267 266 265 264 263 262 261 260 259 258 257 256 255 254 253 252 251 250
LCinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #1457

I'm glad you came in Stephanie!!! over the years I have gotten things done in dribs and drabs but I have kind of stored and saved somewhere in the house at all times -- and I have decided that has to change drastically .. the only allowable stuff are things we use on at a least an annual basis, and bins of clothing for my younger dd as handmedowns. I am doing a great job though, lol!!! and am just hoping the big decisions do not get me sidelined .. what floor to put in, etc etc etc ..

Pauline
Old 07-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #1458

Thursday July 21, 2011

Soooo I have not been in too much. I have three more days until I get home to my own house and I think today I finally started stressing some, lol! it has been three weeks with my parents and I have typically had trouble here with stress eating. I am really happy to say that I seem to have kicked that by getting a lot of me time and just taking myself away from everyone else when I have wanted to be left alone. I had one single binge the first week and that is it. This is actually very big progress for me .. very big. My weight is fine and toward the bottom of the range.

Exercise and food have been perfect - in fact, I think I have put on some more muscle working out at a different gym down here. I have a few weeks with the kiddos and then we all go to Ireland for two weeks which holds its own set of challenges. I am already working on that front to problem-solve as I always do before vacation!

So far completed:
* Found a way to get exercise in .. either running, jump roping for cardio and resistance band workouts for strength. I found some band workouts I like by Scott Hermann on youtube ... if you look for them they are the two FTW videos.

* Weight Right now I am working on shedding a few pounds before vacation as insurance for some of the things I know I will be eating and drinking .. brown bread ... and too much whiskey .. for sure. No goal in mind .. as much below 128 as I can get without actually going on a diet. I am just cutting a few calories I do not really miss.

* Weight Monitoring I bought a digi scale for Costa Rica last year that weighs very little itself and will pack it in my case, lol! Crazy .. but it actually allows me to be more confident in my choices, and not deprive myself when I don't have to - which is what happens when I have no compass

I still have to figure out what I will have to eat to replace all the baked goods I make as desserts and breakfast .. and figure out what exactly to take with me in my suitcase. I will be cooking at least 3/4 of the time so you would think - no big deal, however I will be cooking for my other three who all eat differently and maybe a few others too - depending on who is around, so cooking could be a huge headache. Things I need to figure out:

Breakfast
Dessert for lunch and dinner
afternoon snack
What frozen vegetarian lc meals are available that I can just zap and eat so I can concentrate on the other cooking .. hmm maybe I need to google that a bit, lol!
Old 07-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #1459
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.2/152
WOE: In Limbo
Start Date: Each day is a new day to start fresh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Thursday May 26, 2011

The power of denial simply amazes me. People will say and do almost anything to hang onto their psychological constructs - with respect to weightloss, to addictions like alcohol, to other destructive behaviors, etc. They do not ever **want** to do the hard stuff that might take them to their professed goals (who does?), so they spend amazing amounts of energy on why they should not do these things, because they do not "work" ... They ask me "how did you lose so much weight" and then immediately knee-jerk back: "I could never do ______(fill in the blank - lowcarb, calorie count, portion control, exercise, food log, etc etc)" They will hang on to whatever "expert" happens to be drumming up followers at the time by giving people what they want to hear.

Well, I am sorry. Weightloss is hard. Maintenance is hard. If you were really really fat - like me - you are going to have to do things and change things that are hard and accept that the rest is just static. I lived the life of denial and resentment for 38 years. As I posted elsewhere, I could name a long list of reasons why it was not my fault and why it was unfair that I was morbidly obese since childhood. But the only relevant thing is that I put that aside and moved on to do what needed to be done. I did the hard things. I changed my life. I accepted that I have to count calories (or take note of portion sizes) as well as exercise to get to this amazing place I am right now - and that the only way to stay here is to continue these habits. Instead of using my brain to justify my problems, I put it to endless problem-solving so I could work toward each issue as it arose - each thing I didn't like or didn't want to do, accepting that when something did not work, I needed to change what I was doing.

To distill it down to it's essentials, next time someone asks me how I lost the weight, and what I would recommend, I have a new reply ready:

Stop the Pity Party and Get Busy

Because if you look around, you will see that is exactly what the successful losers and maintainers do. They just get on with business.
TaDa, I've been struggling and searching and reading in your journal is helping me. This is an epic post! May I have your permission to copy it?

Thanks!

DG
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #1460

dble post

Last edited by TaDa!; 07-22-2011 at 11:37 AM..
Old 07-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #1461

Feel free to quote me Doggygirl! I do think it is the only way to change our lives.

Pauline
Old 07-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #1462

Saturday July 23, 2011

OK .. so I started researching and figuring out what to bring with me for Ireland and I think I have figured out the stuff I should bring with me in my suitcase as far as food since I will not be baking lowcarb special treats while I am away -- too much else, normal cooking to be doing -- which is easy on lc, same as here, proteins and veggies.

So, I have decided on bringing a protein bar for once a day, lindt 85% chocolate, a few packages of lowcarb pita, and I am really excited to have found individual packages of peanut butter that do not have a lot of sugar in them ... wooot!! They are called: Peanut Butter & Co Natural Peanut Butter, Smooth Operator Squeeze Packs, 1.15-Ounce Pouches. Hahahaa I will be lining my suitcase with them, lol! If for some reason I did not have these things, I know I could figure food out -- buut with my whole family there, etc., I do not want to be spending a lot of time on figuring my own food out!! and trying to find things like peanut butter in the smallish town I will be in. I know the stores in the town quite well and there are places they might have various things, but there are no guarantees, lol!

I am stoked about the peanut butter .. hahahaaa, aren't I silly!

p.s. and dh was happy I am bringing the resistance bands .. I can see it now, we'll be fighting over them! lol!
Old 07-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #1463
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lisa Darby
Stats: 159.6/141.2/140 5'-2"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Starting anew, 1/3/11
Just got done reading your story. Thank you. Wanted to let you know you are an inspiration. I'm looking forward to continue watching your journey through your words. I hope you have a great trip to Ireland.
Lisa Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:21 AM   #1464

Thank You Lisa
Old 08-05-2011, 04:28 AM   #1465

Friday August 5, 2011

The season is only half through and I already think this has been my most enjoyable Summer so far since losing weight. it has been a little over a year since I commited much more stongly to keeping my weight very stable (within a tiny range). Weirdly, that extra discipline has been freeing for me. Less decisions = Less burden.

Lately I have not had to log my food or exercise either, because when there are no detours from the usual, the results are as expected. I know I can have a carby item out at a meal maybe once a week and what the results will be. I know my weight will pop up for part of the month, but that if I do not change anything in food or exercise, it will come back down as usual. I have been on vacation so many times now during lc'ing, I know that, as long as I plan, the weight fluctuation will not be too big, and so on and so on.

Discipline as comfort .. weird! But it has me feeling secure. It's great!
Old 08-20-2011, 01:28 AM   #1466

Saturday August 20, 2011

I have been on vacation in Ireland now since Tuesday morning and am doing very well .. I am even finding out I can eat half high-carb at a meal and the weight is not affected. I think it is because I had gotten down to 127 before I left and so once I put some of that water back on it has not really come back off. I am at 128.2 this morning which is just great all considered, lol! My pre-vacation food planning has really been helpful and when we are not socializing, I just have all these go-to foods and meals - no thinking involved!!

Despite all my great plans, I have only been out once for a run yesterday and have not used the exercise bands at all, lol! Actually I told bil I'd clip his hedge in lieu of an upper body workout one day after a run, lol!

Anyhow, so far so good .. food good, alcohol in too great a quantity, exercise minimal ... doing perfectly!
Old 08-26-2011, 04:54 PM   #1467
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigbone
Stats: 380/327.2/199
WOE: Low Carb n' Stuff
Start Date: Re-restart 6/1/11
ENJOY! ENJOY! ENJOY! Your vacay! Glad to see you've got it all handled! Take care,have fun and be careful!
bigbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:22 AM   #1468

Thanks BigBone!! It went great!!!!

Thursday September 1, 2011

Well, I had a great time in Ireland! I ate some high carb food - including a full high carb meal with sugary dessert for the first time since starting this in 2003. It was interesting to see what happens when I do that. Two things ... my weight pops up a good three pounds **but** it peels right off me after a few days of proper on-plan eating. However, for future, I do not consider it worth the hungry days I have afterward until my body is back in ketosis.

It has made me realize that I do prefer my usual method of having one or two single items that are carby at a special meal rather than a full carb blowout .. both the after-hunger and the weight bump-up are considerably less - sometimes none at all! I will leave carb blowouts to times like the vacation when my chef-sil made a special meal that I would have been selfish to refuse - considering that I am at my goal weight and the meal was already catering to vegetarians, lol!!

The food plans that I made earlier in the journal worked out fabulously!! the Lindt 85% chocolate, pitas, peanut butter packets .. and a last-minute addition of some laughing cow cheese were critical to my success .. as I ate very lowcarb at the house most of the time with the exception of some brown bread and tayto cheese and onion potato chips (in little 100 calorie packs), lol! When I was eating well, I was keeping food calories lower than usual - around 1750 - but add to that a usual glass or two of red wine and a glass or two of whiskey .. This would be good to remember for future vacations (although I think I remember the same for Costa Rica and Mexico vacations ..)

Other things I brought with me that were very helpful: measuring cup and spoons, a bit of glucomannan powder which helped me through cravings after some high carb food, my food scale and my digital scale .. both of which weigh very little and are easily packed!!!

My exercise plans kind of went awry .. hahahaaa as usual on vacation!! ... I went out for one run in the two weeks, had a very active day surfing (hahaaa yah meeeee), and can count a few days of excessive walking to the total. But all's well that ends well! Despite a very spiky weight chart (and a highest recorded weight for the past year of 132.3), I returned back weighing slightly less than when I left .. 128.3 officially at TOPS on Tuesday.

.. trip report to be continued ....
Old 09-01-2011, 04:35 AM   #1469

Gallery: debbiedo
Stats: pretty close to perfect!
WOE: mindful eating/running off the pounds
Start Date: over and over again
Love the Avi picture. Sounds like youbdid great. You do so well on vacations. I look forward to hearing more about the trip.
debbiedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #1470
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lisa Darby
Stats: 159.6/141.2/140 5'-2"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Starting anew, 1/3/11
Good job on your vacation. Sometimes you gotta "splurge". But you did awesome going right back on your plan and you came home weighing less. You are an inspiration!!!!! Welcome Home.
Lisa Darby is offline   Reply With Quote