Old 01-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #1381
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Monday January 24, 2011

Just what was needed this morning .. Thanks to Lynn ..

YouTube - Discipline

No Excuses!
Pauline, this is such a cool video! So much truth to it -- it most definitely IS all about discipline. Somone had posted this video over on the Lounge Board a week or so ago, is when I first saw it.

This is a keeper. If THAT doesn't motivate, nothing will.

WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #1382
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GardenGirl639
Stats: 229/189/145 5'3 3/4"
Excellent video!

Thanks for the inspiration!
GardenGirl639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #1383

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
I know! Awesome right?! Had to post it in here for myself!

Tuesday January 25, 2011

OK, so my schedule for the past two weeks has stressed me out .. 3 no-school days last week, and another 3 this week .. and no end to the snow in sight with another supposedly 12 inch storm coming tomorrow night to work around ..

Rather than try and meet the needs of people outside of my family and real true responsibilities, I cancelled on two people / quasi-commitments for today and tomorrow. Frankly, I don't think I could even be the support they like/want from me with the additional stress on myself. I just made the stress of today and the stress of tomorrow lighter.

I never would have done that in the past, I would have tried to please everyone, given into a little emotional blackmail that got put on me this morning, and stuffed my own needs and stresses with food. I think some of my self-induced stress these past few days has been caused simply by considering cancelling these commitments .. and I probably should have cancelled earlier than I did ..

Anyhow, it was like a vote for Self .. this is who I am now. I take care of me and by doing so, I also take care of mine ..

Last edited by TaDa!; 01-25-2011 at 02:35 PM..
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:27 AM   #1384

Thursday January 27, 2011

So I totally called it, lol! yet another snow day today for the kids .. in the past 2 weeks, the kids have only had 4 days of school .. and of course, Christmas Break ended a month ago. Thankfully being part of some of these short-term challenges has kept me a little more focused on getting all the good behaviors on a day by day basis, and dealing with the stress that way. Lots of "stuff" going on with the kids right now ..

Anyhow, I had totally switched around my exercise days .. including workouts on the last two Sundays .. in order to keep to those "good behaviors" that mean effortless maintenance. I had to swap out days again yesterday and am really proud I ran to the gym on an insanely busy day yesterday, when I had to travel in and out of Boston to doctor's appointments on a snow storm day and get to a dance recital during the same storm etc etc etc. Anyhow, bully for me, I did it and if I get tomorrow in, I can say I have done another perfect week during an amazingly imperfect week ...

This morning little dd and I have been poring over cookbooks and are going to try our hands at a coconut sorbet which will be lowcarb too .. I figured we would need to keep her busy .. she was out in the snow already at 6 this morning playing but it wasn't much fun since it is up to her thighs, lol .. the recipe is good because she will have to take it out and mix it every hour, lol ..

At the moment she is trying to work out a prank to play on her sister who is still asleep. The first two did not pan out due to technical difficulties and now she is whining at me "Can't you let a kid have fun?" because I won't let her hide all the glasses in the house in an attempt to get her teenage sister to drink catsup from a less transparent drinking vessel so "she thinks she is bleeding" ..

God help me today! lol!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #1385
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: enlowb
Stats: 190 -180- goal 130
WOE: HCG - R1P2
Start Date: March 29, 2011
Ta-Da

Just stumbled upon you and am totally amazed at your weight loss. That is truly inspiring. As you can see my stats, I am not starting out where you were, but I do have a considerable amount to lose. Please, give me some motivation to stay with it. I have not dropped weight very quickly, as quickly as others. It is a daily struggle for me not to pick up those cheetos my kids have or eat that slice of pizza. Do you eat off on special occassions? I see that you have kids, do you cook LC for them too? I have been wanting to go back to "watching" what I eat, but for many years, that did nothing but let me eat whatever. Give me the motivation to stay with this...the energy and feeling good are there, I have been in ketosis but am out of it now because I ate two pieces of candy yesterday (went on a field trip to a candy store) and an apple and orange. Do you eat fruit? That's probably what's bothering me most of all. What does your typical day look like?
enlowb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #1386

Hi Enlowb, Getting the motivation to stick to a plan is a tricky thing. First, in my experience, diets per se do not work .. does that mean I eat off plan? No, not when I was trying to lose weight. The key is to choose a plan and a way of eating that you can follow. In my case, that means no candy .. it is not something I would even pick up and eat now on maintenance. I have made the decision that if i want my life to change, I simply have had to make a fundamental change myself. No candy, cheetos or pizza .. If I did want the fruit, I'd work it in .. it is healthy, it is on my plan. I am not on induction.

And yeah, my kids and dh do eat all those things - in fact. I am ordering in pizza tonight for them .. I'll probably have an omelet and some fried cabbage myself. In the cupboard right now I have a few packages of cookies, pretzels, popcorn and so on .. But I do not feel deprived of those things because I make really delicious food for myself - some things for everyone, some things just for me.

My best advice to you is to find a plan that maybe suits you better than Atkins and Atkins induction ... OR start Atkins at a higher carb level and OWL carb ladder rung that includes **some** fruit. Motivation .. only you can find the desire inside yourself to decide that your weight goal is more important than a momentary treat ...

Pauline
Old 01-30-2011, 06:19 AM   #1387

Sunday January 30, 2011

I am going to try and get to the gym again today even though it is a usual exercise rest day. It will make the third Sunday in a row I have worked out .. yet again my week looks like a mess ..

I have one day I have to bring dh to the hospital for tests, and then possibly another snow or ice day, for the kids, lol!! It is funny, most of the year I have not tracked my exercise days at all .. just did them and missed the occasional one. This winter it has been critical to track them because my schedule has been blown to bits this January and if I did not make a point of tracking them, I would just probably be stressed at being off plan and gaining weight ..

I really do not enjoy such intense planning .. takes the joy out of life, lol! but it does make me feel more in control when events are out of control! My whole maintenance this year has been predicated on following a formula 99% of the time and it works for me even with the occasional vacation, etc. I do not enjoy when I have less control over my food and exercise for extended periods of time.

I can't go to the gym this morning .. since dh has to go shovel off part of the roof of our rental property (as well as he can). He shoveled off *our* roof yesterday (it is lower and not as peaked). Anyhow, I told him I'm heading to the gym in the late afternoon .. hopefully it works out. That way I get 2 workouts in before Tuesday comes and my schedule goes to the dogs again ...

On another note, I am extremely worried about friends in Cairo that live near Mubarak's residence, etc. Email / Internet is down. Very nervous.

Last edited by TaDa!; 01-30-2011 at 06:24 AM..
Old 02-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #1388

Tuesday February 1, 2011

We got about 8 inches of snow today, did a bit of shoveling and we are in good shape right now .. getting another foot (?) tomorrow I guess, lol! We had a *very* hairy drive home from the hospital this morning in crazy snow and both kids schools were let out early release, and we had to do some fancy footwork when the little ones early morning activity got cancelled and we had to be at the hospital, etc etc etc but <phew> made it through the day and I feel like I dodged a few bullets .. All that insanity today, and dh's tests came out fine, and then to really make me happy .. news from Cairo that friends are weathering the situation well .. hopefully not just putting a brave face on it for their American friends.

So I am feeling a lot of relief that today is "in the can" ... Yanno .. that feeling of, hey it's time to open a bottle of wine .. except that I am resisting that kind of release right now because, well, it's not the right reason for me to go drink a bottle of wine, lol! A history of food abuse is bad enough .. no need to get into the realm of alcohol abuse .. I have the sneaking suspicion I'd be quite skilled in that too .. I tend to apply myself to things .. overachiever-type ..

We are due another foot or so of snow tomorrow (we have over 3 feet on the ground right now) and due to the timing I am pretty sure school will be cancelled .. I had been preparing myself for that and we'll just deal with the mess when it happens tomorrow - also dh is already thinking it is unlikely anyone will get to work tomorrow .. lol! last big storm, he was the only one who showed .. soooo darn funny! (he didn't think so though).

I hope my good spirits last through tomorrow ... I will have to insist on it!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #1389
Major LCF Poster!

I've been thinking about you today, Pauline.

We are iced in. The public schools are closed. Probably tomorrow, too.

Extra for tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #1390

Sorry to hear you got ice Elizabeth!!! They were talking about us getting ice just this morning .. but turns out it did not come up this far -- ended up only being snow fortunately. The snow is unbelievable though. It is now as tall as my 10 year old.

Wednesday February 2, 2011

I can happily say we weathered the storm and even got a few things accomplished. Internet is back up in Egypt - the latest, my friends are still safe and feel safe but say that "people are killing each other in the street."

Doesn't everything else pale in comparison.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #1391

Gallery: debbiedo
Stats: pretty close to perfect!
WOE: mindful eating/running off the pounds
Start Date: over and over again
glad your friends are safe. I hope they are staying in because the news is showing things are getting worse today.

We didn't even get the predicted ice here. I don't know how you handle all that snow. Of course the Northeast knows how to remove snow. They do not do well in the DC area. 2-6 inches of snow and everything stops. I grew up in Syracuse and lived in Boston and it was rare to be snow bound like we get here.

Pauline I am always reading your thread. You inspire me greatly.
debbiedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:34 AM   #1392

Thanls Debbie I always think wistfully of how folks in Canada probably have even better equipment, etc than we do, lol! I have to drive up to New Hampshire to get studded snow tires for winter as you cannot buy them "off the shelf" here in MA (to make it up our hill, lol!) .. It's all relative! lol!

Thursday February 3, 2011

And here I thought I would have two days of normality .. our school system called in a 2 hour delay this morning to get snow cleared .. so one goes in at 8 and the other at 10 ... At least they have school, one town over has another snow day today ....

February is usually the hardest month to get through, and here we have just begun! Even the animals are flipping out .. I saw at least 4 different birds trying to cozy up to our windows and eaves yesterday in the sleet. Some more snow fell overnight and I see deer tracks all up and around our driveway .. haaaaahhaaa that's all we need. Cars, trucks, and buses cannot pass one another on our roads .. now it looks like the deer will be using them too ...
Old 02-05-2011, 06:10 AM   #1393

Saturday February 5, 2011

So it looks like tonights storm will be rain!! According to our newspaper we have had 78 inches of snow in our town - and it's only two months of winter .. Apparently we usually get 60 inches of snow in about 4.5 months ... Anyhow we have sprung some leaks at this house and I guess we need a new roof in the Spring. DH is going up on the roof again today to try and clear some of the ice dams <bleh> Luckily we put a new roof on the investment property a few years ago so hopefully that will be ok - it is very high off the ground and steep pitched and the snow is so deep all around, there is no way to get up there right now.

People around here are really flipping out, so I guess I am in good company .. Our road is barely passable and I have seen a LOT of near accidents with school buses and trucks. It is essentially a one-lane road right now and has been for the past month. It is very stressful to try and drive anywhere - I avoid all the small streets, but this is one I cannot avoid, lol! I feel a little stressed out because we will be needing an oil delivery soon and I am not sure how that will happen!!

I am having trouble with my teenager and this weekend will be a challenge .. I have to keep reminding myself that I will miss the drama in a few years when they are off to college, lol! keeping a 10 year old and a 15 year old happy in the winter is a challenge .. they each have VERY different interests! I make one happy and I feel like I am neglecting the other .. it is tough!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #1394

Monday February 7, 2011

New multivitamins arrived ... Deva vegan multivitamin and mineral (one a day). The calcium is kinda low in it - prolly because it is vegan and not vegetarian, so I got calcium chewy things for the daughter but I dunno .. 3 net carbs in it from sugah .. I should probably get myself something else .. blehhh
Old 02-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #1395

Monday February 8, 2011

I may be crazy but I feel so bad. We keep seeing deer -- the other day we counted 14 as they trooped right past our windows. Every winter when the snow is deep there is usually 12 of them or so that sleep in our back yard .. must be a warm spot back there.

Well, I started cooking tonight and 8 deer - that I can see, there may be more - showed up (maybe the smell from the cooking vent?) and started eating rhodos, pieris, and a lowgrowing evergreen (about 30 ft tall - the forest is more like 60 ft tall). If you don't know deer - those are plants they would only eat if they were starving. They are considered "deer-proof" plants. they are starving - they saw me and continued eating. Usually when they spy one of us inside, they freeze until we go away. They are too hungry to care.

I feel so torn. I have a lot of vegetables in the fridge right now and could go out and feed them. They'd still come back and eat our bushes tomorrow - but I don't want them to start to expect that they'll find carrots here or start to become pests. At the same time I feel like chasing them away from my few trees that are not part of the forest - but I won't do that. I'll just sit back there next summer and be able to say I kept some deer alive for the stupid bow hunters.

I guess all the ice and snow that is plaguing us is affecting them much worse. Feeling a little sad for them and for my friends in Cairo - another one of these million man marches in Liberty Square. One of our friends is likely there again. I am scared for him and his family. Where do you draw the line between standing up for your beliefs and prudent life preserving behavior when you are needed by your family.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #1396
Major LCF Poster!

Pauline,

Such heavy questions! I ponder that myself.

Could you take the food out to the forest so that they can eat, but not come so close to the house?
Old 02-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #1397

I can't believe it - I usually never see them during the afternoon and there are now 16 in the backyard eating what they can find .. the deer-proof plants - ha! I did use the cooking vent again so maybe that's it ..

It is an idea Elizabeth - just not sure where to put it .. would not want to set them up for some hunter -- and it would be a job getting out in that deep snow .. the deer are all actually having trouble walking in it - especially the smaller ones (yearlings?). Lol .. 16?! Might just be a record for my house .. that'd take a lot of carrots, lol!

That groundhog was on crack ...

Pauline
Old 02-10-2011, 04:53 AM   #1398

Thursday February 10, 2011

Found this cool post on a website -- on dehydrating vegetarian food for backpacking / hiking: Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Vegetarian and non-vegetarian sharing dinners -- BackpackingLight.com Forums

Interesting that "tempeh jerky" tastes good .. I looooooooove tempeh! lol! I hope the link is still active when dh drags me down the Appalachian trail as has been threatened ... It will be a big challenge to be a lowcarb vegetarian doing that, lol!
Old 02-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #1399

Monday February 14, 2011

Things are going pretty well with me. I have really focused lately on just "good habits" and that is like a checklist of things that I can tell myself: "You do this, you maintain" and at this point, it is fact. It does allow for things like a carbier meal (vegetarian chili and tortilla chips yesterday), TOM and my normal water fluctuations (which can be a few pounds).

The hardest and most critical parts seem to be making sure I am getting in 4 workouts and eating to my usual plan. If I workout less I would have to eat less and well, that's just not something I am prepared for .. so I have made my bed, so to speak! It has helped me get through some real mind stress these past few winter months.

Right now, I have a phone call to make that I am having trouble making. There is a woman who is part of my group who leans on me for advice but doesn't take any of it. She thinks that she and I are "the same" but that she has all kinds of reasons (excuses) why she is overweight and is gaining a lot more lately (at least 15 pounds +). Her excuses are just wearing on me to even listen to like she is actually making any sense whatsoever. I won't enumerate them. They are just absurd. I have a lot more going on in my life than she does. I just don't complain all the time.

It is not the food mistakes that I take such issue with -- I make them all the time in the heat of the moment and I know why I do it, but that is not a reason to make it ok. It is excusing the behavior and validating the behavior all the time: poor me poor me poor me and then insisting people agree with it.

I just received a "dire" sounding phone call asking if I'd go for coffee with her tomorrow. I can just imagine how annoying this is going to be, lol ... I shall tell her I can only stay for half an hour ... I hope I can keep myself from sounding belligerent when she tries yet again to get me to enable her ..

Ok .. off to make the phone call ...

So in the original voicemail she doesn't leave any information as to why she needs/wants to talk me tomorrow just a dire sounding message and doesn't answer her phone either. I did not leave a message, lol! I will not agree to meet until she tells me where the fire is ... I can think of one other thing it could be, lol! and I am not too keen on that either, lol! I guess I want to know what I am in for, lol lol!!!

Thanks for letting me complain! You may have guessed .. I do not complain in real life .. just in my head and I guess it's getting full in there ...

Last edited by TaDa!; 02-14-2011 at 11:34 AM..
Old 02-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #1400
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Valentine's Day, Pauline! Thank you for being here and sharing with us!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #1401

Thanks Elizabeth

Thank you too for being my friend!!! I hope you've had a nice day too! Mine was pretty darn good!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #1402
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BWYA
Stats: started 1 Jan 11: 272.6/243.0/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 1 January 2011
Pauline, there is something I have noticed about you...

you have a great knack for being honest while being terribly kind. I see it all over the board. do this girl a favor and treat her like you do us, here... gently and kindly, but maybe a nudge, too. Sure, sometimes the best thing is to let something go with the hope that someone will "see the light" (you did that with me!) but there comes a time to be a bit more, um, direct. I think you need to trust your gut at this meeting and if you have something to say, know that you are good at saying it.

Knitting burns 100 calories per hour and is full of fiber.
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/extremeknitter/sigpic.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ter/sigpic.jpg</a>
my granddaugher

1 Jan 11 272.6 [start]•1 Feb 11 260.8•1 Mar 11 253.6•15 Apr 11 243.0 ~††[-27.6 lbs since start!!!]
BWYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #1403

awwwww :blush: Thanks BWYA .. I think you are right! I ended up talking to her and told her I could meet for a short cuppa .. it sounds like she is out of excuses mode this week, lol! so it should be ok .. I should be able to behave and be understanding, lol!!!!

It is much easier to say the right things when you have time to think about it, type type typing away, and a way to easily shut it out for a while for a breather, lol!

Thank you for your kind words Girl!

Pauline
Old 02-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #1404
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BWYA
Stats: started 1 Jan 11: 272.6/243.0/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 1 January 2011
Quote:
It is much easier to say the right things when you have time to think about it, type type typing away, and a way to easily shut it out for a while for a breather, lol!
this is very true, but you have it in you. not everyone does, even with all the time in the world
BWYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #1405

Thanks BWYA. That is such a sweet thing to say!!!

Tuesday February 15, 2011

So everything went fine today, except that I realized I really have some boundary issues with that friend, lol! And not just in one sense - There is the "too much information", overkill, bend my ear til I want to cry aspect that I complained about yesterday.

But there is another real biggy with her too ... just the kind of thing I have only noticed in the past few years with some people who, seem to me, to resent any attention I might get for things I do or offer others. They deal with it by trying to control what I say and think, and re-format words coming right out of my mouth - want to control my relationship with others even. I will not be chaperoned or become someone else's "product", lol!!! Weird to feel like someone else wants to possess you or your brain (in an other than loving kinda way, lol)! Not the first time I felt like someone else wanted to be me .. a la invasion of the body snatchers.

Along the lines of the same boundary thing, every so often online there have been people who, without any provocation, have tried to attack me with personal attacks and demands that I explain/defend my personal lifestyle -- to somehow better their own self-worth -- when my own personal beliefs are not up for debate. I share what I share and that is all that I share. It just bugs them to no end when someone else is interested in what I might have to say on a relevant topic, lol! Thankfully it hasn't happened in some time ... I find most of those post-ers tend to disappear pretty quickly ..

The one thing I find in common with folks that overstep boundaries with me lately are that all of these people are attention-junkies. In the past, there were people who overstepped the "obesity" boundary with me .. some with cruelty (mostly as a child), and others out of love, but I have to say getting into my personal space is guaranteed to be the single worst way of getting my attention or interacting with me. I tend to shut down and block that person from my radar or attention and just let them look ridiculous in others' eyes by their own actions and words.

Thank goodness I have a lot of friends who give me the same respect I give them .. Things like this make me appreciate them all the more!!! Hahahahahaha some weird posts I've made over the last few days ... seems like I will always always be figuring this stuff out, lol!!! time to design a personal flag ...

Don't Tread On Me! (I'll ignore you to death) ...
Old 02-17-2011, 05:56 AM   #1406

Thursday February 17, 2011

OK .. this is rather sad .. I binge-ate last night after shutting down the computer - I do know why. TOM hormones + being forced to stay up late when I should have gone to bed hours before. Not a good combination!! It has been a long time since it happened.

I am going to just go back to a normal food and exercise today - no extra restriction! - that is the way I get out of it successfully usually. In an ideal world I would not weigh myself until, say Monday. I am debating on that though - as I have tried to have a full set of stats for the year of maintaining at a 5 pound range (I know I will still be in that range - no problem - not weighing til Monday would just take any mental stress about my TOPS weigh-in Tuesday out of the picture).

I think I just convinced myself not to weigh til Monday, lol!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #1407
Major LCF Poster!

Pauline,

Your honesty is amazing! for your honesty.

because I know how emotionally painful a binge is.

You really don't even have to decide about the weigh-in until Monday.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #1408

Oh thanks Elizabeth it is my daily weighing I mean .. I haven't even thought about Tuesday (I will be fine for it - I know how my weight fluctuates with a binge and I have been toward the bottom of weight range anyhow) .. Thanks for the support - and seconding my weigh-in thoughts!

The thing that really sucks is that i will be in the same situation tonight having to stay up late and feeling pms-y ... but I am determined to "be sane" tonight, lololol!!! Maybe the key to success is confessing when it does happen ....

Thanks for being there for me

Pauline
Old 02-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #1409

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Thursday February 17, 2011

OK .. this is rather sad .. I binge-ate last night after shutting down the computer - I do know why. TOM hormones + being forced to stay up late when I should have gone to bed hours before. Not a good combination!! It has been a long time since it happened.

I am going to just go back to a normal food and exercise today - no extra restriction! - that is the way I get out of it successfully usually. In an ideal world I would not weigh myself until, say Monday. I am debating on that though - as I have tried to have a full set of stats for the year of maintaining at a 5 pound range (I know I will still be in that range - no problem - not weighing til Monday would just take any mental stress about my TOPS weigh-in Tuesday out of the picture).

I think I just convinced myself not to weigh til Monday, lol!
Pauline, how well I know what you've gone through. The onslaught of PMS Whor-Moan-al Hell happens to me all too frequently, and my willpower crumbles to dust. It's the MOST FRUSTRATING force in the world, and it DOES make me sad and angry and frustrated and moody, all the above. I went through that last week before TOM hit and it just assaults me.

Just wanted you to know that you're not a failure, as you already know, and that others go through this same thing too.
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:30 AM   #1410

Thanks Twyla it is crazy isn't it? there was a point when I had conquered the binge eating behavior except .. once a month pms would drive me to a single binge and I just knew to expect it, fight it, not worry too much if it happened ..

For some months there I managed to get through the pressure without binge eating at all ... hehehehe I guess it does not ever truly go away!!!! oh well!!! Onward!!!!

I did not weigh this morning .. it felt weird, but it's a good thing!

Pauline