LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #1291
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Colo Alex
Stats: 297/231/<200 (6'0", 47 y.o.)
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Back on track 9/7/11
Pauline,

Sounds like you had a great party. I’d say the best gift your daughter received is her health. What a wonderful thing you have done for her. Not only have you helped her with this you have done so in a way that didn’t affect her psyche and have laid the foundation for a future of good health.

Mom of the year!!!
Colo Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #1292
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Awesome Pauline!!!

Hey, what protein bar recipe did you use and scale of 1-10 how do you like it? Would you share it please?!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #1293
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Thanks Alex It is the one thing I am most proud of .. not getting rid of the monkey on my back (which was huge), but making sure that how the weight problem developed for me in childhood is not perpetuated .. **and** that I give my kids the skills they need (portion sizing, judging foods, reading labels and understanding what they mean) to keep themselves healthy into adulthood while the obesity epidemic and eating disorders rage on among their peers!!

Pooticus .. I just made up this recipe to get in a goodly amount of protein and it is not great because it is not shelf stable and must be refrigerated. I do like it though as much or better than processed bars .. I originally made it with almond butter not peanut butter ...

it is just:

1 jar of natural, crunchy peanut butter (Teddy - 14 servings per jar - ingredients: peanuts, salt)
7 scoops Cytosport Whey Protein powder
2 T Coconut oil

Mix, and measure out 1.5 oz portions into 14 silicon muffin cups. Tamp down with a spoon.

Place in freezer .. remove to refrigerator, or to the kitchen counter before eating so they can soften up a bit.
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:06 AM   #1294

Sunday November 7, 2010

So I just did an interesting exercise with my calorie intake for the last month .. as keeping carbs somewhere below 100 net does not affect anything at all for me - even with a day once a week where they might shoot up with some carby eating .. So it appears that my calorie level for maintenance is more like 2100 or more, assuming my lifestyle stays constant (gym 3-4x a week).

My weight had been going down ... got to 126 ... so I did a carbier meal Friday night .. but most would not consider it too terribly carby, lol! We're talking a slice of whole wheat bread and butter at the restaurant, bread crumbs and flour in the sauce on stuffed cheese mushrooms, a couple glasses of red wine, with the rest of the meal being lowcarb induction, just because that's what looked good to eat, lol!

Getting to "gain" weight seemed like an opportunity to put on muscle from my usual workouts and I am hoping the very small bump in weight (.75 lb 2 days later) could be all or partially muscle. Apparently you do need a calorie surplus to gain muscle and from what I read, as long as you are getting a certain level of protein (which I do by virtue of the fact I lowcarb), it does not matter what the nutrient components of your calorie surplus are (although I'd think alcohol would not be effective, hah ha!!).

Anyhow, I am thinking that staying at 2000 or lower calories most of the time and then a nice big meal once a week is absolutely going to be what maintains me and keeps me happy! And, when the weight gets low, I just have a nice big muscle building / repair meal ..

Something that made me very happy at the restaurant Friday night ... it was a chain, "Longhorn Steakhouse" and they had all the calorie levels right there on the menu. It was awesome!! I was going to order the 10 oz piece of salmon, but after realizing that with all the bits and pieces added to my meal I absolutely had enough calories going on, the menu helped me decide on the 7 oz piece and I finished the meal, nice and full. Having calories on the menu is more important to me than the carbs as I can afford a carb mistake here and there, unlike some others. I was surprised to get home and see the carb count of the mushrooms (shared with dh) .. one problem with the Longhorn was they do not list fiber on the nutrient info on their website, but still I am impressed ... The mushroom appetizer was 590 calories and also not listed at the restaurnt because it waas a special - it is shocking to me how caloric most of the dishes at restaurants are .. we are talking 1000 - 2000 calories for a typical meal!

I have been very productive this morning and have the crockpot loaded up trying a version (used dried beans as I never use canned) of a black bean chili recipe I posted on here last month to serve the kiddos - I'll probably give dh sauteed pork and turnip with his, and the kids will get tortilla chips and cheddar cheese with theirs - Anyhow, I will post a review of it somewhere if it comes out well .. I have already had positive comments on the smell wafting through the house, lol!
Old 11-11-2010, 05:13 AM   #1295

Thursday November 11, 2010

I am feeling rather good and pleased with myself .. that I can just carry on like this day-to-day with one splurge here and there, regular exercise (which I enjoy) and my weight will swing within that weight level naturally. Yah, I'd love to be more steady weight-wise day-to-day but it just does not work like that for my body.

These last 6 months have been the least frantic months of my Maintenance. Right now I must trade off hopes of 100% intuitive eating for a more controlled and methodical approach .. logging food, regular exercise days, weigh-ins .. Ironically it makes me feel more free .. to know that I can eat anything I want to eat because I will have every piece of information necessary to balance it out .. no more guesswork, or unnecessary restriction, or need to lose 10 pounds periodically ...

What a joy to wake up every morning and put on clothes knowing that the only reason you need to look in the mirror is to make sure your hair isn't too crazy .. just knowing that you will look really good in that outfit .....

So much easier to contend with the demands of life, needs of the children, insanities of my spouse, lol! and well, a huge problem we have right now in the house (30 day notice by the town to get it fixed!!! and big money involved!! and of course it happens in the middle of securing a loan where the bank scrutinizes our ingoing and outgoing funds!!) ... in the past I'd have fallen apart. Somehow it is so much easier to just take it in stride when I am in control of that which I can control .. so few things in life! Go me!
Old 11-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #1296

Friday November 12, 2010

OK ... do not say "I told you so" lol lol lol!!!! My taste for processed lowcarb foods is gone. Very sad! lol! I have lately been buying a few things here and there and they just do not taste good to me anymore .. not as good as my homecooked and homebaked foods ..

I almost died today after tasting a Dixie Diners Mac and Cheese cup. I was expecting the pasta would maybe be iffy .. but the cheese "sauce" did not even taste like cheese, lol!! It tasted like flour paste .. so I threw it in the bin and fixed myself a trusty avocado cheese onion sandwich on a half pita (Joseph's lowcarb - which *is* something I can recommend and which I use almost daily).

So,I figure I'd better not save my dessert treat for dinner when I will really care if it is nasty, and so at lunch, instead of my usual coconut oil, chocolate, nut, shredded coconut treat, I had a "Chocoperfection" milk chocolate bar which I bought because it did not have maltitol in it, but rather oligofructose and erythritol .. well, I ate it but again, nasty and I won't be buying it again!!

A few weeks ago I bought an individual cheesecake as a treat .. since I won't make the single serving ones as I cannot find a good vegetarian substitute for gelatin .. and you guessed it, expensive and not all that ..

I will say I do still like the various bars like Atkins bars, etc and keep those for times when I am heading to the mall or out to a restaurant for dinner and will want a dessert, but it appears that many many of the items just do not appeal to me at all, lol! I guess I really really do like what I make for myself and the lowcarb lifestyle I have built, lol!!!

I have one more thing waiting for me in my freezer Carb Krunchers hamburger buns ... which I have just needed to make my incredible Tofu Sloppy Joe's from my highcarb vegetarian life. Without the usual bread, it would be lowcarb -- woot! If it comes out well with these rolls, I will post it!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #1297
the condiment queen

Pauline if you don't have a problem with gluten, you should make Jennifer Eloff's lowcarb bread. It uses regular ingredients and makes a very satisfying bun. Glad you are doing so well and glad that you are not loving the products! LOL. Much better off that way!
Old 11-13-2010, 05:32 AM   #1298

Thank you Poot! I found the recipe and it sounds really good! I love that it does not have nut flour in it .. as I have a nut allergic child, and I hate making very special things only to have to say "this is only for me, since it is not fair that dd#1 cannot have it" etc.

She gives directions for forming into buns, etc! There are really very few times I miss bread, but it would be awesome to try this after the frozen rolls in the freezer are gone (they are made with nuts)

Anyhow, here it is:

Good Bread Recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Jen is such a sweetie - she said of COURSE and attached a copy for me to reprint here:

WHOLEGRAIN BREAD
For crustier buns, toast lightly on both sides in nonstick pan. Copyright: More Splendid Low-Carbing with compliments for lowcarbfriends.com from Jennifer Eloff

1 cup water (250 mL)
3 tbsp olive oil (45 mL)
1 large egg
1 cup vital wheat gluten (250 mL)
2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour, (150 mL)
OR oat flour
1/2 cup wheat OR oat bran (125 mL)
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry four, (50 mL)
OR flax seeds, ground, OR
oat flour, OR soy flour
4 tsp bread machine yeast (20 mL)
1 tbsp SPLENDA® Granular (15 mL)
1 tbsp granulated sugar (15 mL)
1 tsp salt (5 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
1 tsp baking powder (5 mL)

In cereal bowl, heat water in microwave oven 1 minute. In bread pan, place water, olive oil, egg, vital wheat gluten, whole wheat pastry flour (or oat flour), wheat or oat bran, ground flax seeds (or whole wheat pastry flour, oat flour or soy flour), yeast, SPLENDA® Granular, sugar, salt, vanilla extract and baking powder. Program bread machine to Bread Rapid setting and color to medium. Remove 30 minutes before baking time is over or when brown in color.

Variations: Loaf Pan Breads (Two): Use 1 cup (250 mL) water, plus 3 tbsp (45 mL), 2 eggs, 11/4 cups (300 mL) 80% vital wheat gluten and 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder. Follow recipe above with these changes. Program bread machine to pizza cycle. Divide dough in two equal portions. Place each portion in greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch (2 L) loaf pan and place pans on bottom shelf in preheated 225°F (107°C) oven which is off. Cover lightly with foil. Allow to rise 40 minutes. Remove foil; switch on oven to 350°F (180°C), leaving loaves inside. Bake 30 minutes. Place loaves on cake rack to cool. Place in paper bag and leave at room temperature for crusty loaves. Refrigerate for longer storage or freeze. Yield: 2 Loaves, 22 slices each, 1 slice per serving. (2.0 g Carbs)

Hamburger Buns, Hot Dog Buns or Dinner Rolls: Same recipe as for Loaf Pan Breads above. Shape dough into 12 hamburger or 9 hot dog buns or 24 dinner rolls. Place on greased pizza pan. Spray buns with nonstick cooking spray. Proceed as above and bake 20 minutes. Yield: 12 Hamburger buns.
(7.4 g Carbs), 9 hot dog buns (9.9 g Carbs) or 24 Dinner Rolls. (3.7 g Carbs)

Also she wanted me to let everyone know that there will be discounts on her books here soon:

Healthy Low-Carb Living Blog

She's a doll!
Old 11-16-2010, 03:33 AM   #1299

Tuesday November 16, 2010

I took measurements this morning .. and I have lost a half inch in the hips and a half inch at the navel and gained over a pound of scale weight since the last measurements (I'm at 128.75 this morning). According to the bodyfat calculator, I've gained muscle! and so my bodyfat percentage has gone done. Woohooo!! No wonder I have been getting comments lately without having lost any scale weight. My workouts and nutrition *are* effective ... happy day!

I have been toying with getting my weight back to 126-7 to take into account Thanksgiving weekend .. which is only a week and a half away .. anyhow, I am not going to try too darn hard, but maybe try to keep to basics over this weekend ... and think about what kind of exercise to do over Thanksgiving (maybe workout next Tuesday - a usual rest day - since I have 2 workouts at my parents house ... then I'll only have one, lol!).

I have TOPS this morning but only half of the group will be at the meeting as the other half will be at the nutritionist's session that I did a couple of weeks ago. It will probably be short and then errands for me! No planned exercise ...
Old 11-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #1300
Major LCF Poster!

Gonna start calling you Paulean!
Old 11-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #1301

Oh goodness Alex!! lol!!! That is just terrible, lol!!! insert <groan> ....

Thursday November 18, 2010
Well no worries, I will not be hitting my low numbers anytime soon it would appear .. ravenous irrational hunger has arrived along with s spot of pms .. loverly!!

I am quite pleased to report that I have white knuckled it through a couple of days now! I looked through my stats and I see I had a binge evening October 16th .. so it would appear I am right on schedule, lol! And the scale popped up suddenly (as you can see in my stats over there <-- ).

So the usual monthly hassle is coincidental to some stressful stuff going on with finances and a water leak on our property .. the two things at once compound the problem each one poses, lol! When it rains it pours!!! I am praying that things will be resolved, or at least come to a head, so I can stop the anticipatory worry, by the first week in December ..

Today's solution ... I am sunbathing in the front window with computer, and soon, lunch. It is one of the few advantages of this house ... mega mega sunlight just when you need it most! I trashed myself at the gym this morning ... knew it when the quads starting a-shaking ... I deserve this r&r bigtime ...
Old 11-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #1302
Major LCF Poster!

Hiya Pauline! Just thought I’d drop in and say hi to my friend. I hope all is well with you.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #1303

Aleeexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!

Thursday November 25th, 2010

We had a day of family and a bit of drama when my mother fell and cracked her head on a cabinet and so I had to get all the dessert table ready (love that when you are not planning to eat any of it, lol!) ... otherwise all good ...

Oh and the only other drama .. some bickering (I wasn't involved) got on my nerves in the morning - well that and the fact that I was just going to be lazing around for hours as we had all the food in the oven, etc (lazing around on thanksgiving = my food danger time!) - so I decided to go for a run and a workout with free weights and exercise bands and it felt great!

Now just to keep up the no-sloth-eating strategy for the rest of the weekend here at my parents' house!!! I shall list my other options here as a reminder of how to occupy myself should i enter a danger time ....

* Watch one of the videos I brought with me (no internet required!)
* Go for a walk to the pond .. by myself or bring the kiddos et al.
* Read the book I brought
* Scope out Mom's finished books to see if I want to borrow anything
* Do laundry or fold laundry
* Do the cookbook reviews I was planning to post!
* Go shopping to the stores we don't have near us, or that I don't bother to go to that often .. like Ocean State Job Lot
* Buy a huge puzzle .. we usually do one every year and I forgot to go buy one this year ... oopsie .. I have used it to keep busy here on holidays when I was losing weight and in danger of over eating ...
* Go bowling ... 'cause we're cool like that ...
* Go see one of the zillions of movies I have to see!

Last edited by TaDa!; 11-25-2010 at 05:47 PM..
Old 11-25-2010, 08:28 PM   #1304
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Pauline, sorry to hear there was some drama. I hope your mom is okay.

I liked all your ideas to keep busy and away from the food. Great planning ahead and what a great role model for your kiddos and others.

Have a good weekend!
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #1305

Thanks Dianne!!!! You too!!!

Friday November 26, 2010

Choices choices choices!! Treated myself to a no-sugar-added dilly bar at DQ today instead of a flax muffin ... am going to pass on takeout from the italian tonight .. everyone is ordering in pizza, etc although I could get eggplant parm or sumthin - I will choose to cook eggs for myself.

However! Tonight I will go out for a couple of drinks .. hard liquor, no carbs. And tomorrow at lunch going to a shmancy Italian restaurant and will order on plan, but it'll be restaurant food, likely high-ish calorie! the rest of the day will be 100% normal .. as will Sunday onward.

I cut the carby winter squash/corn casserole up and froze it in portions for my little dd's lunches next week and all I have left is a miniscule portion of mashed cauli I promised to my teen, and some spicy greenbeans I may be tempted by ...

I feel like I am doing well, and will be interested to see what Tuesday morning TOPS weigh-in will bring, lol! On one side I am pleased with myself that I am keeping so on top of my weight .. on the other hand, I am annoyed that I feel like I have to stay "under goal" for TOPS .. so under 131. I would like to eat out tonight - some big cheesy high-calorie mess and then some high calorie deal tomorrow at lunch too and then just get back to plan 100% on Sunday and not stress it at all ... Reality though, this **is** working to keeping me within a 3-4 pound range and not edging higher, not getting into scary territory at all, etc ...

Ok, I am done griping. Bad side /good side again. There are mirrors everywhere here. I won't be eating drippy cheesy eggplant tonight, but everywhere I look in the damn mirrors, I do look really good ...

Tradeoffs. The price we have to pay.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #1306

Monday November 29, 2010

Wow I felt so great today in the gym ... like a feather floating ... Such a great feeling to just be at the right weight doing my thing. Part of it may have been the 3-day break from working out, but the cardio was like nothing and then surprisingly so was my upper body weights workout .. If this lasts, I will have to up my workout, lol! it was sooooooo a "reward workout", lol! I ate well, watched myself and I got my reward .. I feel GREAT!

My weight is absolutely on track for tomorrow's weigh-in ... I expect to be in the minority at my TOPS group, though, lol! I hope I do not get too very annoyed there tomorrow. I am starting to have thoughts of switching groups -- and there do not seem to be any other convenient ones ...
Old 12-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #1307

Wednesday December 1, 2010

I just helped my daughter dye a blue streak in her hair with kool aid .. and I was the one who told her that you could use kool aid to dye hair ... what was I thinking?

My left hand is now blue. I will be walking around in the adult world tomorrow with one blue hand. Do I coordinate my outfit tomorrow to match my hand or contrast with it? hmmmmmm ...
Old 12-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #1308
Major LCF Poster!

I definitely think coordinate you outfit to match you hand.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:04 AM   #1309
Major LCF Poster!

I always knew you could talk a blue streak.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #1310
the condiment queen

Hey Pauline you are doing so great! I loved how you described feeling like a feather!!

You know, you can make a version of gooey drippy eggplant that isn't so gooey drippy calorie/fat/cheese bomb-wise but it still feels that way?

Let me know if you want the recipe. It's very simple.

and congrats on your super successful Thanksgiving and on staying under your limit on TOPS. It sure sounds like a good group for accountability. (I'm still working on getting the nerve up to attend a TOPS meeter here.)
Old 12-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #1311
the condiment queen

Hey Pauline you are doing so great! I loved how you described feeling like a feather!!

You know, you can make a version of gooey drippy eggplant that isn't so gooey drippy calorie/fat/cheese bomb-wise but it still feels that way?

and congrats on your super successful Thanksgiving and on staying under your limit on TOPS. It sure sounds like a good group for accountability. (I'm still working on getting the nerve up to attend a TOPS meeting here.)
Old 12-03-2010, 05:00 AM   #1312

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLoser View Post
I definitely think coordinate you outfit to match you hand.
Luckily I do have blue clothing! I am happy to say the blue lasted about a day, turned to green nails only and now has gone entirely! Now I am only worried that dd will refuse to bathe for the next week to preserve her electric koolaid crown ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo Alex View Post
I always knew you could talk a blue streak.
I never denied it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post

and congrats on your super successful Thanksgiving and on staying under your limit on TOPS. It sure sounds like a good group for accountability. (I'm still working on getting the nerve up to attend a TOPS meeter here.)
You should totally take the plunge and check out TOPS .. you know it only took me about 10 years, losing all my weight on my own, figuring out I could use the help maintaining, to work up the courage to go to one, lol! I saw an ad about 10 years ago, and kept thinking about it .. finally joined last December, lol! Just do it!!!!

I would love if you would send me your eggplant recipe Thanks Girl!

Pauline

Last edited by TaDa!; 12-03-2010 at 05:01 AM..
Old 12-03-2010, 05:38 AM   #1313
the condiment queen

Hi there. The recipe is pretty simple really and you may already do this?

But when I could still eat eggplant I would do it one of two ways. One way is to layer it. The other is to roll it. See which way you like it best. It's a big textural difference.

I use a mandoline to slice it thinly (about 1/8" or a tiny bit bigger). I leave the peel on but you can skin it if you prefer. Then I rub it with garlic oil (I make this myself - by gently heating olive oil with sliced garlic and basil if you want until the garlic is lightly toasted. Remove the garlic and basil leaves and reserve them for later.), salt and pepper.

Then I grill the slices quickly over high heat. The goal is to make them pliable enough but still leave them virtually undercooked and to get nice color and flavor from the grill.

I use cottage cheese cuz I prefer it to ricotta. You can use it in curds or you can process it to make it smoother. But I combine the cottage cheese with an egg, parmesan cheese, lc bread crumbs (or almond flour), salt, pepper, basil, shredded mozzarella (how much of this you use is up to you). Then either place a couple tablespoons on the egg plant slice spread it out evenly. Roll up the eggplant slice and secure with a toothepick or place it open side down in pyrex dish that has a little sauce in it.

If you want a lasagne from this, then simply spread alternating layers of cheese mixture with the sauce mixture.

Top the eggplant roulades with some sauce and a little bit of shredded mozz and parm and bake in a 350* oven until hot and bubbly and until cheese on top is slightly browned.

I like the roulades the best, and "stack them" closely to each other to help keep the cheese inside of them. But the really thin layers (the more the better) of the eggplant and cheese/sauce is really a nice change too. If I'm doing layers, then I process the cottage cheese so it's easier to spread.

The grilling of the eggplant really cuts down on the fat content. Also, I use a spray bottle that I get from Pampered Chef that you pressurize and it sprays my infused olive oil (I keep the infused oil, refrigerated and ready to use for grilling veggies and meats).

Once it's done you can either use the golden garlic slices and fried basil leaves to top the roulades or you can use those to top other dishes or salads. They taste great as long as you don't let them go too long and get too dark.

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
Old 12-03-2010, 06:00 AM   #1314

That sounds fab Poot!! I may try it! My kids and dh cannot stand eggplant, lol! so I make it very seldom and usually eat it when out -- When i do make it for myself, it is a blackened eggplant with fresh tomato puree and cheese on top (quick and easy) ... I like your recipe though with the cottage as roulades or casserole!!! Fabulous!!! I will have to try this! Thanks so much for sharing
Old 12-08-2010, 04:31 AM   #1315

Wednesday December 8, 2010

My life has been insane the last few weeks, lol!! and it does not promise to stop any time soon ... One reason is the play my little dd is in and that ends Sunday, but we are having our yard dug up and hopefully getting pipes fixed before the town gets us and the big snows come .. and and and and lots more.

Last year around the same time, little dd was in a play that was an everyday thing - she was in literally every scene, had 12 costume changes, etc etc etc and last Fall, same as this Fall, I came through for my two children and dh, but I let me fall apart and gain 15 pounds.

This Fall I have TOPS weigh-ins, but something more than that, I have harnessed the stress, in a way where I only think about the "next" task on the list - what is to be done in the next hour or two and not let the pile of stressors wear on me every minute of every day. Among those "to-do / next hour" items, working out and eating to a schedule ...

I almost fear when the show is over as the other stressors are things I have no control over, no part to play, but worrier ... I have delegated some of the items to dh as he is part of my stress when it comes to this house and our rental property, especially right now when it makes the most sense for him to negotiate with contractors rather than me - as he is an engineer and understands what they are saying, etc. I need to insist on this, as being the go-between just kills me - he puts me in this "mother" role where I am forced to nag him, so he can be upset at me instead of the situation, and I refuse that role anymore, lol! I did not break the damn pipes, I do not bring the snows, and the houses are as much his as they are mine, lol!

Anyhow lots of random garbage this morning, but I have to get going as I have an early appointment to get snow tires, little dd has a half day of school, big dd is off on an adventure this afternoon that will keep me at her beck and call in case the kids need saving, lol! and little dd has a five or six hour dress rehearsal tonight and I am working back stage ....

I will just point out that my weight this morning is 128.4, not that ugly hideous 129.6 down there in my sig from yesterday. It is a shame I have to look at it all week down there ...

v v v
Old 12-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #1316

Thursday December 9, 2010

I am exhaustified and will be up late the next three nights .. and go-go-going all weekend ... I am amazed, however, at how much I can and do accomplish when I am living life by the seat of my pants, as it feels right now! And even more shocking, how well everything seems to turn out!

I managed to do everything that needed to be done for both kids and for dh (birthday next week!) without sacrificing anyone's awfully needy needs these past few weeks since Thanksgiving! I think if Monday ever comes, I will be in good shape, as far as the things I *do* have control over ...

deep breath deep breath deep breath

127.8 on the scale this morning, and a great workout as well ....
Old 12-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #1317
Major LCF Poster!

Pauline, you are doing great. I hope it is way less stressful than past years!

I know with my clean eating that I am way less stressed overall and I don't let the little things get me down. I know there is a lot of soul searching, etc. that has went in to this transformation and it is not just weight loss. I had to deal with things like you have mentioned in prior posts in ways that were new to me. I could not fall face down into a large bag of candy bars, etc. any more. It is now easier to face things instead of stuffing them away with food.

KUDOS!! KUTGW!!

I AM NOW LESS THAN HALF OF MY FORMER SELF!!

Dianne

A proud TOPS member - became a KOPS on 4/24/08!

Join us over at the lowcarb TOPS thread. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-part-2-a.html
Old 12-11-2010, 06:32 AM   #1318

I think you are right Dianne ...

Saturday December 11, 2010

.... even though "clean eating" means different things depending on where you find yourself in Maintenance. I am still somehow mystified as to how things are different this Fall .. it may be really all due to TOPS, and to my final resigantion that I must stick to my habits of eating a certain daily quantity, keeping out of the higher carbs most of the time, and exercising regularly to keep it all in balance. It cannot be just loosey-goosey. It must be in my mind regularly ..... Weirdly it does not feel like any kind of sacrifice whatsoever. I think people's expectations for Maintenance, even those of us who did not dream too terribly "grand" about what we would be eating and doing, lol, is very different than the reality.

And it is, yet another great mental shift that I have experienced, Maintenance stage 2, if you will; Having achieved "normal", I am on to extra-ordinary ... "superstar" status. In my mind, I think of myself like that top 1% .... the super-athlete, who has to always be at the top of their game, ready to excel, or a celebrity, always ready to meet the papparazzi, lol .. doing what I do, because it is simply who I am, the kind of strong-willed powerful person that is just not average. I have priorities, as KajunDC put it in another thread. I do not have to tell anyone what they are (and IRL, I do not!). You look at me, you know ... in just the way, when you looked at the morbidly obese girl, you formed an opinion of her ...

So life has been insane but good! DD did amazing last night! Matinee and evening show today so we are busy busy busy. My weight is down more - just a bit - and I am not going to do the extra one-time "food/carb thing" even if I drop more .. as they will be digging up our yard this coming week and we also have something going on over at the rental property and the slightly lower weight will allow me to feel good about missing a workout or even two if that is totally necessary .. which it just might be!

Now, looking at the calendar I think I will try extra hard this week to make my 4 workouts .. since things get iffy again next week - with a day off, and a day of doctor's appointments, it will be hard to even get 3 workouts in. And then, following Christmas, the kids will be off school and I will be working hard to try and get to the gym that following week .. uh oh I just realized the chaos shall not stop! lol!

Dec 13-19: Yard dug up, possible "workman" stuff at rental, TOPS day
Dec 20-26: 1 Kids day off, 1 day running between doctors, 1 TOPS day
Dec 27-Jan 2: Kids off of school .. go at night?? blehhhhhhhh

I guess I have convinced myself to keep my pedal to the metal. I rightly should just skip TOPS meetings, but I think it is critical during this time of year, for myself and to support others who are making the same commitment .. Perhaps for the next 2 weeks at least I will just go to weigh-in, the meeting and then leave before the end, when they are doing the administrative stuff and head straight to the gym, even though Tuesday is my usual workout rest day. That will get me to the gym by 10:30 .. hmmmm

Ok of to wrap gifts to send to Ireland this morning and then to the theater ...
Old 12-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #1319
Major LCF Poster!

That is great Pauline. You are no longer striving to be that better person, you are that woman. You know the dangers of feeling like “you made it” or that you are “done.” Those thoughts can lead to slides and gains. Instead, you are working to find that next level. I really don’t think that there can be an end to the journey. The journey is continual and there are many more discoveries of who you can be. As each wonderful movie about Pauline ends you know that there is a sequel and it will be exciting and have all new adventures.

Oh, and BTW… I’ve always thought of you as a movie star! Lol! (oh no, am I the paparazzi?)

My Journal
Old 12-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #1320

Thanks Alex ... God help us all if I ever got my few seconds of fame and a papparazzi ever got anywhere near me, lol lol!!! now, that'd be "breaking news"

Tuesday December 14, 2010

So the insanity continues, but I am just putting on the blinders, eyes straight ahead .. handling life on a minute-by-minute basis and eating food per schedule .. it makes it soooooo easy to know what exactly I have to eat when and not even think about it when I am this busy!!

So, I hit 127 on Saturday and Sunday and made the very wise decision to just stay the course, no "special" carb/calorie diversion to "make sure I do not lose too much" .. as .... I woke up on Monday with a 3 pound gain, lol!!!! I know it is "that time" but still!!!

We went out for a special dinner Monday night .. normally I would have had a slice of homemade irish brown bread at this place, decided not to do that .. have a nice meal, a glass of wine, the dessert I brought and leave it at that and I woke up this morning down a bit to 129 ...

Anyhow, it appears that forces are at work that do keep me in "the zone" .. of weight that is! And at my TOPS meeting today, one of my friends said to me "When I wake up in the morning, I never regret not eating something I chose to forgo the night before" ... and that is so true!! I can finish a meal and be thrilled that it was awesome and, at the same time, "virtuous" ... but I never regret passing up a slice of bread, or a plate of homemade french fries or homemade desserts (like last night!) after the fact!

I had an appetizer + side salad and it was just the right portion for someone of my size! The appetizer was a portobello mushroom stuffed with spinach, lobster and cheese ...

Anyhow ... back to the rat race! lol! DD has a concert tonight in a bit and we're off again!!!