Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 04:36 AM   #1171
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Joycelyn I know you can do it and find your way on South Beach too! What is your most-used menu items that your doctor wants you to cut out? I am going to try making "potato pancakes" with a vegetable called a celeriac today that 24fan came up with. Someone (TulipsandRoses) also swears by french fries made out of this vegetable ... maybe trying some new recipes, etc could make you feel better about changing things up .. just a thought!

Pauline

Wednesday June 16, 2010

So yesterday I made it to just below the official goal weight at TOPS - which is 132 on the scale I use at home - I was pleased to see that I weighed in the same this morning too (131.75). I think the weight is coming off quicker now that I have upped the fats, and unintentionally lowered carbs (around 40 net).

The only thing I am not liking is the feeling of deeper ketosis! I do not like being thirsty a lot, lol! and I do not like the fact that I have trouble getting to sleep now. However, I will put up with it, since I am even more convinced that staying around 50 net carbs **most** days will be the key to keeping satisfied and keeping hunger at bay for me!

I will miss my TOPS meeting and weigh-in next week due to a graduation ceremony, which kind of takes any pressure off of me not to have any weight bounces up. In two weeks, for my next weigh-in, I should be solidly below my TOPS goal by at least a pound if I stick to the course. I mentioned in the TOPS thread, that will be the best thing about getting to this number, being able to say "below goal" whenever role call is taken. I think mentally that will help take pressure off me too, because my ideal weight is actually 4 pounds below goal, but being any number below goal will give me a mental "pass" to rejoice in the fact that I am in a good place, even if it is not that exact number. I found the Maintainer threads of the past used to drive me a little crazy with all the talk of one up, one down, etc etc. It felt to me like people could never just be happy with themselves. That might not be the case, but that was how reading those things affected me ... this seems a healthier thought process for me to go through on a weekly basis ...

No offense intended to anyone out there, I just have to do all kinds of weird things to keep my head in the right place ...
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2010, 03:35 AM   #1172

Friday June 18, 2010

I'm doing really well this week Thank Goodness!! The kids last day is really Monday and then my entire schedule and ability to work out, etc will be in question at least for the week and a half until I go to my parents' house.

I worked out every "scheduled day" so far this week (I had missed 2 days in the past 2 weeks due to "life" getting in the way) and I started doing my weightlifting more seriously, adding back lower body which I had not done in two months due to leg injury. My weight today is down another pound, so I am down to a pound below the TOPS goal .. 3 more pounds to my "rock bottom." That is really good considering I am pms'ing! It is weird how the weight just started to come off in a different pattern than before .. I guess I could have a bump up for a week or two anytime now ... lol!

Something really cool, I started listening to my hypnotherapy mp3s that I downloaded and decided to try and record the beloved hypnotherapy cassette from 1990 when I did a two week weightloss program in Arizona. I have everything set up and I am pretty sure it is going to work out and I am very excited about it!!! I actually think hypnotherapy works!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: Oh yeah! The best part of being exactly where I should be weight-wise, I bought 2 new pair of shorts yesterday and feel free to let myself buy clothes again ..

Last edited by TaDa!; 06-18-2010 at 03:45 AM..
Old 06-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #1173
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: crystalgriffon
Stats: 162.5/129.5...back to 138/125
WOE: Not sure...Atkins?
Start Date: Summer 2009
That's WONDERFUL Tada!!! You are such an inspiration to me. =) I hope I'm on track in my later adulthood as you are now. And from reading your posts, I know that if I slip up once in awhile - it's not the end of the world! We are in control and we can get back to where we need to be. Thanks for taking the time to write about your woe!
crystalgriffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #1174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: msmoon
Hiya Pauline,
How cool that you're weightlifting.
I see you as a tightrope walker....always searching for (and holding on to) the balance.
Hypnotherapy works for many and I'm one of those people it works for as well. I keep searching for new ones but haven't found any yet. The ones I do have work well at this point but I fear they might loose their effect over time. It's good to know yours haven't and your able to glean some positive reinforcement from them.
msmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:39 AM   #1175

Thanks very much Crystal! You know, what I like about it here is that it really is a group effort most of the time ... well, except when people are being stupid and attacking others, lol! I am so happy for you that you are really enjoying what you have done for yourself and appear to have inspired others too!!! I will tell you, one of the most solid parts of my and my dh's relationship have come to settle around our enjoyment of the active life and what you do together with and for your bf is as much of a journey and an accomplishment as what you have alrready done for yourself before you head out to college. There is no end to this thing, lol! Keep up the great work Girl!!!!!

Mavis! I have weightlifted most of my journey - just in varying degrees and ways and Having a few pounds to lose this Spring, I concentrated less on it. It is really good to be back at it with a vengeance. I feel like once you are at a reasonable desirable weight, it is the only way to make changes in your body shape!

I will dig up your email Mavis and send you some hypnotherapy mp3s ... Some are not great, but you never know what will work for someone! I do have one I recorded from an old casette tape that I really really like and will send that on to you too! How come I am not surprised that you also like hypnotherapy??!! Pauline

EDITED TO SAY: Well I tried to send, but turns out the files are too big!! Oh well!!!

Last edited by TaDa!; 06-21-2010 at 05:28 AM..
Old 06-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #1176
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: msmoon
Pauline! Thanks so much for giving it a go with regards to sending the mp3's. I can never get mine sent off either.
I have company this week so I am limited to my computer time but I'll send you an email when time permits with regards to hypnotherapy.
msmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #1177
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Glad you are still posting, Pauline. As long as you are still here, I know all is right in the weight loss world.

I just started a new plan and am going to try it for 10 weeks and see what happens. Hopefully the plan addresses the problems I ran into in past attempts. It's called the New Me Diet where ME stands for metabolic effect. It was written by 2 brothers who are both Dr in Naturopathic Medicine and certified trainers. It combines diet with a unique exercise program based on rest-based weight-training. My doctor recommended it as she knows the Teta brothers and has heard good things about the program.

Leptin is Cool
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #1178

Hey Mavis! Thanks

Hi Rich, So good to hear you are still plugging away!!!! This thing never ends for any of us!!! I hope you have great success with the new approach!! When I get a minute, I'll look it up!! Weight -training is excellent!!!! Good for you!!!!! Pauline
Old 07-04-2010, 06:10 AM   #1179

Sunday July 4, 2010

So it has been a very tough couple of weeks leading up to the kids summer vacation and our trip away to my parents "beach house." I made it through that time and am here now! I did binge eat one night about two weeks ago (in anticipation of the summer insanity descending upon me) but managed to stop and just get back to business. In the last two weeks there were any number of times when I usually would have a binge urge and I did not and that is a huge success!

It really is great that my new membership into TOPS has kind of kept me in the mindset that, my current weight - 131.5 - is not "good enough" and that I need to get down to my bottom number of 128 to provide a better buffer that will keep in the "KOPS" maintenance range so I do not get booted out of that status with the group (above 135 for me) when my weight bounces!

I have made arrangements to visit another TOPS group here on Wednesdays for the three weeks I am away and am hoping it will keep me focused. I undergo a LOT of stress while I am here (and this weekend with a full full house and tempers flaring is the worst of it). My kids and their demands also drive me a little nutso while I'm here -- I have one who has no scheduled activities (and refuses to have any), but I guess I just need to enjoy it, lol! In four years she'll be off to college and won't want to spend any time with me, lol!!

So, anyhow - I plan to come in here a lot and complain randomly. If it is an already "date labeled day" I will just continue in the next post until a new day dawns ...

NOTE: I think my official TOPS KOPS date is June 15, 2010.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #1180

Monday July 5, 2010

So Fourth of July weekend 2010 is at an end! The chaos around here was a bit insane, but thanks to lots of planning -- lots of pre-made dishes I froze and pulled out for my meals, I was 100% on plan .. and actually did not even have any drink the whole weekend, lol! Partly because dh and a few of the guys had a 5:45 tee time at a course 45 minutes away on Sunday, lol! What a bunch of nuts!

For some reason Saturday was really hard mentally and all I could think about was food - I think it was a touch of PMS. My weight has been all over the place but seems to be about the same as last week. I will use my Tuesday morning weigh-in tomorrow as the official weekly weight, although my TOPS day this week will be Wednesday.

And ..... it looks like I have a project for the next few weeks ..... my mother decided she wants to work with a personal trainer at one of the gyms down here that I go to occasionally -- which will cost me to go to instead of the Y where I can go for free, but if it gets her going, it'll be worth it. So, I went there today to work out -- we still had guests here today so she had to stay home this time. I found her a trainer, got her a membership and 11 1-hour training sessions, lol lol!!! So tomorrow I have to go sit through her workout for an hour before I get mine in - she wants me to. Should be interesting! The gym features a number of fitness model trophies and all the trainers are majorly buff, lol! Her gym clothes scare me ..... Ahhhh the comedy that is my life!!!!!!!!!

More tomorrow!!
Old 07-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #1181

Tuesday July 6, 2010

Today worked out well. My mother liked the trainer I found for her and after the initial talk, I told my mother that "she's in good hands" and got my work out done. The trainer told my mother a lot of things she would never have accepted from me and my mother went on and on about the points, lol! So I think I have done my good deed for the day!

I got my work out completed and designed an upper body work out for down here. I did have a monster take over my brain and mindlessly ate an entire container of blueberries, lol! Still, I end up at about 70 net carbs for the day, and calories at a reasonable level (1523) -- so s'ok. Funny though! They were really good!!! but next time I am going to try and not eat the entire container Kinda funny!

Tomorrow is my local TOPS meeting and weigh-in. Should be interesting! I am dead as a doornail in this brutal heatwave and will probably go to bed reaaaaaaalllly early!!!
Old 07-07-2010, 06:27 AM   #1182

Wednesday July 7, 2010

Well I saw the 120s on the scale this morning, lol! OK, it was 129.9, heh heh heh -- and it always amazes me how 128-130 actually feels like goal weight. I just feel "right" and even a pound or two up from that does not feel ok, or right. Never mind getting to the upper 130s as I tend to do -- or shall I say, tended to do, until I put these new habits into effect (TOPS, maintenance versions of: staying on the boards, journaling, food and exercise logging, etc).

I have to keep reminding myself how good this weight and lifestyle is ...

* throwing on a bathing suit, because you know it looks just fine,

* packing clothes without trying any on,

* getting dressed and forgetting to look in the mirror - again, you know you look just fine ...

* finding that the heat is not turning you into recluse because it is easier to bear at your lowest weight,

* walking your kids to camp as the oldest mother there with 22 year old mothers half your age and feeling / looking the same as they do,

* walking into a new gym and having people assume you are a "pro" at everything just based on your looks and your workout .. being accepted, with a glance, as "one of us"

* being excited to go clothes shopping

and so many more!!!! All the "benefits" from my highest weight to here were so major, it was hard to take the small difference of being at goal weight, to being up 10 pounds seriously. That has, perhaps been the lesson of the last 4 years. There is maintaining and there is maintaining ... and 5 pounds can be HUGE!

Off to TOPS here in CT as a visitor ... more later maybe ...

Last edited by TaDa!; 07-07-2010 at 06:28 AM..
Old 07-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #1183
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Pauline, I could have wrote most of your last post with the exception of going to the gym. Isn't life great! I know at my weight that 3 or so lbs. up can make me feel so different in size. So I like sticking to 110-112. I got up to 114 last week and I felt big in my clothes. They weren't tight but I just felt way bigger. I remember when I was heavy and thin women would say, I gained 5 lbs. and I feel miserable. I thought it was vanity but now I realize when you are at goal weight, it does feel different when you gain a few lbs. I would never have believed it before. My weight is back down to around 111 and I feel so much better. It isn't the scale number it is how my body feels that I am talking about. I hope I explained that right.

Have fun in CT and good job on getting your mom a trainer!

I AM NOW LESS THAN HALF OF MY FORMER SELF!!

Dianne

A proud TOPS member - became a KOPS on 4/24/08!

Join us over at the lowcarb TOPS thread. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-part-2-a.html
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #1184

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLoser View Post
..... I know at my weight that 3 or so lbs. up can make me feel so different in size. So I like sticking to 110-112. I got up to 114 last week and I felt big in my clothes. They weren't tight but I just felt way bigger. I remember when I was heavy and thin women would say, I gained 5 lbs. and I feel miserable. I thought it was vanity but now I realize when you are at goal weight, it does feel different when you gain a few lbs. I would never have believed it before. ....
Right??!!!!!! It's like I never had that feeling before since I was always big since early childhood ... how to even relate to a 3 or 5 pound difference??!!!

It makes me think that not a lot of people get to the place where we are ... from obesity to "normal" as I really never have seen a discussion of this anywhere .. and I read a lot, and interact a lot online ... There's whole industries built up around losing weight and large amounts of it, but no one is building in much support or effort toward the people who succeed in making the leap. Ya think that is part of the reason so few actually manage to maintain? If I never saw the difference in a few pounds, why would I ever commit to staying there ...

Anyhow, there I go, on and on ....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I went to the TOPS meeting today and it was great to say "KOPS below goal" and for the first time, feel like I will be able to continue to say that, as I am 2.5 pounds under that weight. My weight fluctuates with normal water and hormone fluctuation, so for me to stay well below 135, I need that buffer.

The group I visited has about 20 members, with 15 that attend regularly. Today there were only about 6 -- we are having a heatwave and so they cut the meeting short. Apparently my meeting at home in MA was canceled yesterday due to the heat in the space we meet in. It was kind of funny reciting the TOPS and KOPS pledges the same as at home! and even get asked for my menu, lol!!!! So .. looks like I really do have to be good and write out my menu for next week, lol lol!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #1185

Thursday July 8, 2010

Okeeeey looks like I need to put the brakes on and eat more as my weight has gone down some more .. only a bit to 129.3, but I do not want to have trouble keeping above 128 ... So, I plan to keep my carbs rather steady - under 80 net carbs and sometimes as low as 40 if I need to get some appetite suppression kicking in!

So, if I am keeping carbs rather constant having found a nice level, I need to add fats and proteins in the form of calories. I personally cannot just trust that appetite will keep me at a certain weight ....... According to DailyPlate, my calorie requirements at 128 lbs are: 1771 per day (how sad is that!!!!????). I burn an additional 1800 calories working out 4x a week. That leaves me with a weekly total of 14,197, and a daily total of 2028 ...

Judging by my weightlosses at my current carb levels, I will actually be able to eat higher than that if I keep carb level the same ... so anyhow, today I am moving from about 1700 calories daily to about 1900 daily and maybe a few more carbs and see what happens. That'd be a good at-home daily level anyhow and then I could allow a little extra for a restaurant trip on the weekends ...

Anyhow, we'll see! Last time I was "losing weight" I totally overshot 128 and had trouble equalizing things ... Off to the hippy store with two teenagers (back in the day we would have referred to it as a headshop) ... say a prayer for me ...
Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #1186

Gallery: debbiedo
Stats: pretty close to perfect!
WOE: mindful eating/running off the pounds
Start Date: over and over again
Pauline you are doing great.

I have never calculated out my caloric need. I know I run a lot of miles and do other workouts with weights and bands etc. I am a shorty at 5' so my caloric requirements go way down but they are counter balanced by my activity level. I just watch the scale and try to adjust. Right now I have so much going on I am trouble even eating enough. I just don't want that to eat the wrong thing because I am not eating regularly or enough. I am all about eating super foods and healthy. I find that eating for my health is number one and I am pretty much at goal weight. If I lost two more pounds it would be fine but no more. I hear you on gaining a few pounds. Last week I was up 2 pounds and it really bothered me. I swear I felt fatter in the tummy. At 5' a few pounds does make a bit of a difference.

I think finding a way to maintain is hard. It is all or nothing with eating. I can diet or binge but no in between.I just have to keep telling myself healthy choices and mindful eating.
debbiedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #1187

Yeah I am trying to avoid eating by the scale since 3 weeks out of the month my scale weight tends to stall and drop on week 4 ... I'd hate to think I am holding steady onl to find myself losing serious poundage on week 4 ... weird issue, lol! I guess I just want a ballpark figure so I can avoid fluctuations that are too large, kwim?

Friday July 9, 2010

I am dealing with someone in this household who is so self-obsessed that people no longer drop by here as they once did. They are afraid this person will capture them in some self-centered obsessive conversation and just not let them get away with any of the normal niceties ... I think I am slowly going insane here trying to avoid them ... Two more weeks ..... I just had a blow out and told them they were too self-centered

K' Now I've put it out there, I should feel better .. more later if necessary.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #1188

Saturday July 10 2010

I have a new practice for keeping me on track ... getting dressed and really looking at myself in the mirror .. I do feel that I look great at this weight .. not just the "good/better" of anything less than obese which is kind of how I have been seeing things, but as "the optimum me." This is the second half of the journey ... insisting on the "optimum me" and not being off-plan or on-plan, just the maintenance plan which allows me organized wiggle room .. not the chaotic wiggle room I have been taking the last 4 years that requires big episodes of "reining back in."

So, I have eaten a bit extra the last couple of days and my weight is holding steady: 129.5 - 129.3 so I feel confident that this is ok so far ... I am feeling like I am happy as long as I am this side of 130 ...

Last night I was already up to about 1850 cals / ~70 net carbs and took the kiddos to DQ (we had a 9 yo sleepover last night) and was going to forgo getting myself a "no sugar added" Dilly bar (190 cal, 24 carbs, 5 fiber, 10 sugar alcohols) .. but said "screw it" and had it .. bringing me up to 2000/77 net carbs which is fine and perfect .. that is the kind of splurge to have, not dipping into the chip bag which is how I keep ending up in trouble, lol!

Anyhow, I look good today! Yay!
Old 07-11-2010, 05:07 AM   #1189

Sunday July 11, 2010

OK, so I had about 3 weeks of little or no weightloss, staying around 132 lbs, then my usual "precipitous" weight drop started on July 5th.

July 8th, I started to up my food intake to around 1900-2000 and my weight drop has continued to today where I weigh in at 128.5 suddenly (which actually is a greater weightloss then I have been getting on a monthly basis). Getting to the 128s is good, but I wanted to slow things down, lol! Oh well. It does not help that I ate out last night and ended up very low carb. I tend to eat induction-type meals out, because it is usually the easiest and most palatable option!

I actually had to make myself eat a few times this week -- I think I like the lower carb count as my appetite is in sync with my weight level. When I eat higher (like 100) carbs on Maintenance, my appetite overshoots my size ....

I am not thinking of changing anything -- and will continue with the 2000 calories, and a 50-80 carb level + higher once a week for a meal out, etc but I want to start keeping an easy "at a glance" record (maybe a spreadsheet) to get a better idea of things. Anyhow, for now, this will do:

July 5 - weight: 131.9
1596 cal
50 net carbs
*exercise

July 6 - 130.1
1563 cal
70 net carbs
*exercise

July 7 - 129.9
1715 cal
58 net carbs

July 8 - 129.3
1938 cal
62 net carbs
*Exercise

July 9 - 129.5
2026 cal
73 net carbs (subtracted 10 sa)
*Exercise

July 10 - 129.3
2041 cal
40 net carbs (subtracted 11 sa)

July 11 - 128.5
Old 07-12-2010, 04:23 AM   #1190

Monday July 12, 2010

July 11 - 128.5
1956 cal
58 net carbs (subtracted 10 sa)

July 12 - 128.1
wowowowowowowowowowow

OK, I am close to rock bottom, lol! But I just looked at the last month and my weight went down a huge 5 pounds .. more than twice what I had been losing monthly, so maybe some of this is anomaly and I will bounce back up a little bit. Despite not working out the last two days, and eating a DQ No sugar added Dilly Bar (lol!) the last three days the weight keeps coming down, so I think I am going to do less cardio this week, and instead do weight training each day with a shorter cardio session ...

ETA: So if you look at this chart, I "plateau" up and down for 3 weeks and then lose from 133.5 to 128.1 ... over 5 pounds in the space of a week ... Why can't my body behave differently??!! This is going to be rather difficult to figure out!!!!

Last edited by TaDa!; 07-12-2010 at 04:49 AM..
Old 07-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #1191
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: giggles4me
Stats: 160/133/125
WOE: my way! low carb & low cal
Start Date: 2/15/2014
it would really help me if you could post what you eat in a day. I have been stuck at 133 for a few months and would like to get back down to 125, but just not sure what I am doing wrong. I go to the gym 4 days a week for an hour each time, do cardo and weights. I feel so fat with these few extra pounds on.
giggles4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #1192

Hi Jeanne, I am not sure any menu of mine will help you any better than my nutrient breakdowns which are listed above. But as far as menu, you can check this post out: please! TaDa! You list 110 as your goal weight .. how tall you are, how much muscle you carry right now, etc will determine how you lose on any particular eating program ... I am at just under 23 bmi at my height of 5'3" and that may have to do with my ability to lose too ...

I also work out more than you do ... 4x a week, but it has been:

2 workouts of:
1 hour intense cardio
stretching

2 workouts of:
40 min intense cardio
40 min weights
stretching

and I am changing that up a little this week ..

hth!
Old 07-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #1193

Tuesday July 13, 2010

Da PMS ... it is baaaaack! The dang boobehs hurt! TOPS - CT meeting tomorrow and then off home overnight with one of the kiddos to pick up a friend, etcetera etcetera..

Lots going on! Looks like Costa Rica in August and it is a loooooong story .. DH is going to be the death of me ..
Old 07-15-2010, 04:06 AM   #1194

Thursday 15, 2010

I am back in MA until this afternoon picking up one of dd's friends for the weekend. Nice to be in my own home!!!!! I have just proven that this weight business is not a scientific experiment, lol!

So my weight was heading down incrementally again, got all the way to 128.1 a few days back. A few things happened and I am hovering at 129 the past few days - which is good and fine! The "things":

* Unexpected trip to Olive Garden and mistakenly ate like 1000 calories at one meal, lol! But the carb level was perfect.

* PMS water weight (chest is quite sore)

* Have been eating 2050 calories/50-80 net carbs pretty consistently (even day after Olive Garden)

That calorie level seems to make me full, so I am going to contentedly stay there right now, with one day a week of higher calorie/carbs (meal out, or some wine, etc). I have noticed I get hungrier as I get to 80+ net carbs and if I back down the next day on the carbs, the hunger goes away. I do think I could have a 1-2 pound drop after the pms goes, but am going to just carry on and see what happens at this point!

Another great thing I have been doing is to get dressed in the morning and have a good look in the mirror and a "Wow! I look GREAT!!! I am at goal!!" moment. I think when I have lost sight of that in the past is when the weight has started to creep. And it is shocking, I see a different person in the mirror from the girl even 5 pounds ago. That is, in my opinion, the next hurdle after maintenance for an obese person -- the total change of our sense of proportion .. a separate journey!

Last edited by TaDa!; 07-15-2010 at 04:07 AM..
Old 07-18-2010, 05:20 AM   #1195

Sunday July 18, 2010

So my weight is up about 2.5 pounds today and yesterday to 131.5 (from a steady 129). Eating and exercise have been consistent, but I have pms and went for a run yesterday and my quads are a bit sore (muscle water retention). I have a hard time believing that the 2.5 is all water .. looking at my graph, it is not the usual bump up! it is higher ..

Anyhow, I feel good and think I look pretty great so I am going to try and just stay the course and see what happens over the next few days, but if it should go up much higher, it will be hard for me! I have upped calories to about 2000 and changed my workouts some and really want to see what happens, but it is so hard when you are a woman -- and in my case, with my weird 3 week "stall," 1 week weight drop body!

Anyhow, over the last few days I have done some clothes shopping and last night went to a cocktail party where I wore a slinky dress, lol! I felt great and did get some compliments. I guess that there is a very good reason for Dr. Atkins 5 lb goal weight buffer .. and the TOPS 10 lb goal weight range .. Now just to figure out exactly how high I will go without doing anything too out of the ordinary!

Last edited by TaDa!; 07-18-2010 at 05:23 AM..
Old 07-21-2010, 04:03 AM   #1196

Wednesday July 21, 2010

My weight is back down to 128.5 lbs today (down a whole 3 from my last post). So I looked at the last two months of weight data and I did get a weird (new) weight spike around mid-month each month. My leg muscles are still a little sore so I may have more water to drop too. I need to keep that spike in mind while I try to figure things out!

I must confess, I gave in to the urge to eat less due to that "surge" in weight, lol! and so my experiment is useless now, lol! except to say I can likely eat 1900-2000 on a daily basis and maintain ...

7/12 wt: 128.1 --- 2265 cal 83 net carb
7/13 wt: 129.1 --- 2053 / 64
7/14 wt: 128.9 --- 2100 / 56
7/15 wt: 129 --- 1934 / 64
7/16 wt: 128.9 --- 2045 / 58
7/17 wt: 130.5 --- 1889 / 64
7/18 wt: 131.5 --- 1830 / 58
7/19 wt: 130.1 --- 1873 / 61
7/20 wt: 129.5 --- 1853 / 59
7/21 wt: 128.5

I go to Costa Rica next month and will be in a city for a few days where it will likely be difficult for me to vegetarian lowcarb, so it is ok if my weight goes down a little bit this month (although I still want to just level it off and will keep trying for that!). According to my commitment to TOPS I have to keep higher than a weight of 125 on my home scale, but if I get a little lower than my bottom of 128, I will not stress it! When I went to Mexico, I left at 127 and returned at 128, so I know I'll be just fine at the all-inclusive, but in the city, I may have to eat more fruit to fill out my food, etc.

I think I will bring a jar of almond butter -- or peanut butter if I can only find that in a plastic container to pack in the suitcase! and lots of lc pitas, lol! I need to start coming up with a little list of things to bring along!

Last edited by TaDa!; 07-21-2010 at 04:05 AM..
Old 07-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #1197

Thursday July 22, 2010

Tonight I sat in dance studio in CT to watch a small in-studio performance dd's class did and at one point, when the children sat down, I looked over to the mirror across the far wall and was shocked to see myself looking teeny tiny in that group of 20 parents. I was the smallest one there. It was strange.

Where I live, my mind tells me that most of the people in my town are thin and bony and that if I were to be in a group of 20 people, I'd be average/thin, not miniscule. It was a very very weird experience just now.

I started to re-read Tom Venuto, Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle (BFFM). I forgot how much I love him ... he is provoking a lot of thought for me ... I guess it'll all appear in the journal at some point, lol ....
Old 07-27-2010, 04:38 AM   #1198

Tuesday July 27, 2010

An article on habits of successful maintainers from the Washington Post in 2005. Most interesting to me are the improved statistics on how the chance of weight regain goes down after 2 and 5 years of weight maintenance.

Also of interest are the specific habits of successful maintainers. I found similar good information in a book that studied successful maintainers .. and aack! cannot find the book or recall info on it .. anyhow! lol!

I am considering this for some future program at my TOPS group and I guess have a few nice goals I can work out of this ... things like 2 years in a 5 pound range, 5 years in a 5 pound range .. although I have successfully maintained for 6 years in a wider range .. that is not my ultimate goal. But it is extremely heartening to think that my chances of at least keeping the bulk of my weightloss off is greater now that I have gone those 6 years!

OK .. the article (fyi, the Lean Plate Club is some Washington Post online informational website):

Successful Losers - washingtonpost.com

Successful Losers

Despite the Difficulties, It is Possible to Achieve a Healthier Weight. New Research Shows That Maintaining the Loss Gets Easier Over Time.

By Sally Squires
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Often lost amid the reports about the obesity epidemic are studies showing that 20 percent of overweight people not only manage to lose pounds but maintain a healthier weight long-term.

These so-called "successful losers" intrigue scientists, who see promise in their experience and lessons for others. In a new update from the National Weight Control Registry -- a database of 4,000 people who have shed an average of 73 pounds and kept it off for more than five years -- scientists reveal some of the habits that foster long-term success.

The biggest surprise from the study is that weight maintenance gets easier with time.

"It's a very positive message," said Suzanne Phelan, assistant professor of psychiatry and human behavior at Brown University's Weight Control and Diabetes Research Center in Providence, R.I., and a co-author of the study. People who maintain their new weight for two years "have a greater likelihood of keeping it off for two more years. Those who maintain it for five years have even greater odds of maintaining their weight loss. With time, the odds of regaining weight go down and down and down," she said.

Not that maintaining weight loss is easy. As many of the Lean Plate Club's successful losers note below, achieving a healthier weight takes focus and commitment. The registry members report that, too.

"We know that they are working very hard to keep off the weight," Phelan said. "They're exercising very hard. They eat fewer calories. They're monitoring their weight. I think it may be kind of akin to brushing your teeth. Once you have the habit, you wouldn't think of not doing it." Successful losers, she said, "just do these things and have adopted them as part of their lifestyle. Maybe it doesn't take as much conscious effort over time."

We've asked some of the Lean Plate Club's successful losers to share their stories and compared them with the registry's findings.
ad_icon

No Quick Fixes .
Nutrition fads come and go. Successful losers report reaching a healthier weight the old-fashioned way: They count calories, reduce calorie-dense food and move a lot more.

Nearly half of those in the national registry reported losing weight entirely on their own. The rest got assistance from commercial weight-loss programs, a physician or a nutritionist. "Over the years, I tried a lot of different things -- Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers a couple of times, different combinations of diets in magazines," said Melissa Glasssman, a lawyer who practices in Tysons Corner. "I could always lose 10 to 20 pounds, but would always gain back more than that."

It was only by changing her habits that Glassman shed 125 pounds -- half her body weight -- in the past couple of years. "It's the little things that you incorporate into your daily life that help keep you on track," she said. "It doesn't have to be entirely about deprivation or exercising two hours a day."

Be Active . While it's possible to lose weight by cutting back on calories alone, only 10 percent of registry participants used that approach. Most -- 87 percent -- ate fewer calories and boosted their physical activity.

Successful losers also remained active even after losing weight. They spent an average of at least an hour a day engaged in moderate physical activity -- equal to walking 3 to 4 miles per hour.

How successful losers stay active varies. The study found that about 20 percent of registry participants lift weights or ride a bike. Aerobic exercise, such as step aerobics classes or exercise tapes, is the choice of 18 percent of those in the registry. But brisk walking is the way that most stay active.

Walking helped Tarasia Remhof, 45, lose 156 pounds since 2001. "The only thing I do [for physical activity] is walk," said Remhof, a Coast Guard officer based in the District. "I adopted a 50-pound mutt from the shelter that is very active and high-energy. If we don't go for two walks a day, she's not destructive, but annoying. So we go for about two miles in the morning and about a mile at night."

Regular constitutionals have also helped Richard Morris, 45, of Woodbridge, lose more than 100 pounds during the past two years. Each morning, Morris and his wife leave their home by 4:30 a.m. and spend the next two hours walking before getting their children off to school.

"I realized that exercise had to be a huge part of this equation," said the 6-foot-tall Morris, who once weighed 400 pounds and now hovers at a far healthier 260 to 265. "I have to make a serious commitment to exercise," said Morris. "I have the same 24 hours in the day as everyone else. This is not a matter of time, but of priorities."

Track Your Weight . Nearly half of successful losers weigh themselves daily, according to the study, which appears in the July issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Thirty percent report climbing on the scale once a week.

"The scale is just a number to me now," said Arlene Rimer, 53, a Toronto lawyer and filmmaker who, since 2002, has lost 140 pounds from her peak weight of 315 pounds. Regular weigh-ins have taught Rimer that her weight naturally fluctuates by a couple of pounds either way. Getting on the scale "doesn't make or break my day," she said.

Enlist Support . Tarasia Remhof teamed with her twin sister who lives in Texas to lose weight. Both joined Weight Watchers groups, then used phone calls and e-mails to encourage each other's efforts. Deborah Kosnett of Gaithersburg found support from her husband, who bought her a "comfort" bike with a wider seat and extra shock absorption. Both Rimer and Morris lost weight with their spouses.

Glassman, who like many people spends most of her workday sitting, spent a year with an exercise group that focused on strengthening core muscles, weight training and provided plenty of support. "Part of my success is that I built a lot more muscle mass than I had before, and that made a big difference" in burning calories, she said.

Start Your Day With Breakfast .
Almost 80 percent of diet registry participants ate breakfast every day. The typical breakfast was cereal with skim milk and fruit. Make it whole-grain, unsweetened cereal. That combination is more likely to provide staying power until lunch.

Set Small Goals. Most people "want to lose 30 percent of their body weight," said Phelan, who co-authored the study with Rena Wing, director of Brown University's Weight Control and Diabetes Research Center. Yet from a medical standpoint, losing just 10 percent of body weight -- 20 pounds for someone who weighs 200 pounds -- "is very beneficial," Phelan said. Rather than setting yourself up for failure, establish a more reasonable goal. Achieve that, then try for more.

Find Motivation to Get Started. Reaching their all-time highest weight prompted 21 percent of registry participants to become successful losers. But the most common trigger was a medical event -- for example, a doctor's advice to lose weight, diagnosis of a condition such as high blood pressure or a family member's heart attack.

"My health was going bad," noted Kosnett, 52, a certified public accountant who has lost 80 pounds since 2002. "I had pre-diabetes. My total blood cholesterol was not so great. It went as high as 260. My HDL (the 'good' cholesterol) was really lousy. But the straw that broke the camel's back was when I went out to sweep my front porch and I started panting. I thought, 'This is really stupid.' "

Set a Limit for Regaining Pounds. If you reach it, switch from weight maintenance back to weight loss. Successful losers still experience slips but appear to be better than others at identifying them and making quick course corrections. "We found that once you start to regain weight, if you put on more than 10 pounds, then your chances of recovery are slim," Phelan said. "Every day, I have to stay on top of this," said Glassman.

Plan Ahead . Glassman eats only at restaurants where she knows the menu and can find something healthy to order. Each Monday, Remhof stocks a week's worth of food in a freezer at her office to microwave for lunch each day.

When Kosnett needed back surgery last year, she took precautions to maintain her weight. Knowing that she wouldn't be able to work out and would require prednisone, a powerful steroid that often adds weight, Kosnett reduced her intake to 1,900 calories a day and carefully recorded what she ate. She also added more high-volume food -- especially fruit -- to combat hunger. Bottom line: She lost five pounds during her convalescence and achieved her Weight Watchers' goal weight.

Figure on Plateaus . Even when you do all the right things, it's not unusual for weight loss to stabilize for a while. Kosnett experienced a plateau that lasted a year and a half. Rimer had already lost 70 pounds when she hit her first plateau, which lasted four months. Although initially discouraged, Rimer said she felt better when she realized that "it was awesome to maintain this huge weight loss." Her second plateau occurred after she had lost 100 pounds. "I couldn't get upset by it," she said. "My body had to get used to . . . the new way of eating, the intensifying activity. . . . We are not robots."

Reward Yourself.
Behavioral research shows that this is key for long-term success. Glassman gave herself plenty of rewards unrelated to food for sticking with her healthy habits. "I got a pedicure or a manicure," she said. She also treated herself to new clothes at a discount store while she transformed her body so that she didn't wind up with an expensive wardrobe that was unusable. "I didn't want to spend a lot of money, because I was still in the process of losing weight," Glassman said.

Stick With It for the Long Haul. The study found that successful losers continue their efforts for many years after they have trimmed their waistlines. That finding resonates with Glassman. "I know if I use the habits and the information that I've learned . . . it will be okay," she said. "I truly feel for the first time that my weight is under control." ·

Online Information

For more on what Lean Plate Club successful losers do to achieve a healthier weight, log on to Lean Plate Club by Sally Squires (washingtonpost.com) , where you can listen to audio clips from some of the members featured in this column. ·
Old 07-31-2010, 05:59 AM   #1199

Saturday July 31, 2010

Wow! End of July already!!!!

I just did the calorie needs calculation from Tom Venuto based on the Katch-McArdle formula (yet again, lol!). It can be found here on the BFFM thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/mu...ml#post5920157

My calorie needs are about 1958** ... I do think that is about right too based on the last month or so. As long as I do not go above 90 carbs on a regular basis, I do not seem to put on the water weight taken off with lowcarb .. but for example, dd and I went to an Indian buffet and all they had that day was rather carby -- but good carbs -- so I did have lentils and fried chickpea fritters (skipping the white rice and Naan bread!) and my weight did spike up by a couple of pounds but is headed back down now.

I ate such reasonable portions -- packed half my plate with salad before picking the buffet dishes -- it is obvious to me a person cannot gain fat doing that .. it was carb water, so to speak. That whole water/carb connection thing really does bug me in light of me being at TOPS and having to stay under 134 or lose my status! I just need to get used to the patterns. It was something I have not bothered about before on maintenance and well, I am committed to being much more on top of it all now!!!

Anyhow, just researching researching yet again ....

**ETA: I just re-calculated, using this information from JuliaL on Bodyfat Percentage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaL View Post
Debbie - I have a couple of suggestions. First, yes you should read the book, but I admit I skipped around and didn't read it all from start to finish. I printed mine and still flip through it and use it as a reference from time to time.

I read on a bodybuilding site for women a way to use the Tanita to get a more accurate BF%. It's for women who exercise and lift weights. First thing in the a.m., take your reading on the female setting. Then take it again on the male setting. Add the two numbers together, divide by 2 and then subtract 1. That is a more accurate way to use the scale. When I do it that way it tracks very closely with what I get on websites where you enter your measurements ...
BF%: 22.1+29.9/2 -1 = 25%

It comes out as 25.06% using measurements and this calculator: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/bfb

So, doing the Katch-McArdle method again, my calorie level for Maintenance comes out as: 2057. Note that the calculation assumes I am working out at my current level, as I set it at "Moderately Active" and Wow!!! If I set myself as sedentary, the calorie level goes to 1597 which is about the level I used to lose weight! Gotta Keep Moving!!!!!!!!:

Activity Multiplier

* Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
* Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
* Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
* Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
* Extr. active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e
marathon, contest etc.)

Last edited by TaDa!; 07-31-2010 at 06:34 AM..
Old 08-01-2010, 06:16 AM   #1200

Sunday August 1, 2010

I got two wasp stings yesterday afternoon, and despite taking benadryl yesterday and today claritin, my forearm/elbow are fairly swollen and painful - hot to the touch. It is only about a 6 inch diameter, and my breathing, etc is fine, so I'll probably just wait until tomorrow to see how it is and also call the doctor to make sure I am up on my tetanus .. it may have been 10 years, I dunno!

I am one of these people who refuses to take medication unless absolutely necessary - but I guess the antihistamines are necessary. I am a little afraid to go to the doc though. I absolutely do not want any kind of steroid ...

It has only been like 17 hours so far, so the reaction could be normal-ish still ...

<bleh>

On the good side, I am wearing my new jeans today and I feel good about myself. I love being this weight