Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2006, 05:53 PM   #91
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
May 16, 2006

7:43 am
My weight seems to be staying at an even keel! Down like .125 a pound .... and I just went "crazy" with the carbs the last few days! Eating foods I know I tolerate, the extras mostly from things like banana, but my carbs for the last few days have been: 93 (yesterday), 93, 86, 73 ... prior to this I had really been eating around 65 net carbs.

I think at this point it is the calories I have to be more concerned about - well, as long as I stick to good carbs ... no experience yet with "bad" carbs.

My plan for the next week or so is to stay at 2000-2100 calories with one day a week of higher calories .. up to 3000, or two days of 2500 calories ... and I am hoping that will be it .. Maintenance!

I posted a maintenance wishlist a week or two ago and from my ****** calculations the other day, it looks like I have to keep my calories slightly below the "dream maintenance level" I posted but I think with the added carbs, I will be quite satisfied with the amount of food ... instead of extra nuts, or other Atkinsy food, it will be an extra piece of fruit, or hummus on pita. Great how we can really play with the components of our menu like this!

---------------------------------------------

Weight

Food
calories: 1909
carbs: 80
fats: 120 59%

Exercise
Exercise Rest Day 2
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2006, 06:39 PM   #92

Gallery: Purrgirl
Stats: 146/128 5'6
WOE: Vegetarian
Wow. Your journal is fascinating! I'm think your the perfect example of what Atkins intended.

I've being following low carb on and off for 10 years but have never followed the carb ladder and increased carbs properly. Unfortunately I fall off the wagon and BINGE on everything and can gain 10 lbs. in 2 days. Then I get back on a strict plan and lose back to goal in a few days, hardly eating. I don't want to do this it this way for the rest of my life....Your success is motivating me to make the correct changes. Thank you for sharing your experiences! They help more than you may know!

Also I think your post about your cyle of binge, restrictive eating, binge really hit home with me. I've been doing it for years and know there has to be a better way.

Thank you again!
Old 05-16-2006, 06:45 PM   #93

Gallery: AllieCat0817
Stats: 213.5/142/137
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 5/23/03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrgirl
Wow. Your journal is fascinating! I'm think your the perfect example of what Atkins intended.
:
She totally and absolutely IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AllieCat0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:28 AM   #94

Thanks Laura and Allie Laura, I've done a lot of reading on Binge Eating Disorder in the last year and finally feel like I have self-diagnosed myself, lol!! I have those urges and have to learn to cope with them! One way was to up my food intake and then start up the Carb Ladder so that inside I don't feel deprived.

It will be an ongoing life battle. But we can do it!!

Pauline
Old 05-17-2006, 05:55 PM   #95

May 17, 2006

8:44 pm
The Maintenance Experiment continues full steam ahead. I may be just imagining this, but I am starting to see a correlation between my exercise rest days (now 2 of them a week) and a weight bump up on the scale. And there's more, but I am wondering how much of this is normal fluctuation that I am just allowing to fuel my imagination?! Well, Friday the experiment will be about a week old. And, unless my weight starts going up more the next two days, I will likely just continue on this way for another week - no new add-ins. I must find the equation to keeping my weight constant before I get funky again! Although popping popcorn for the kids today, I wanted to nibble a bit … held back, of course!! The popcorn will still be there in a few weeks when I am ready to test it out!

Weight

Food
calories: 1969
carbs: 90
fats: 126 58%

Exercise
Run: 40 minutes (slow 10 minute mile .. still sick as a dog!)
Weights: 40 minutes (Lower Body)
Old 05-17-2006, 10:31 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa!
Thanks Laura and Allie Laura, I've done a lot of reading on Binge Eating Disorder in the last year and finally feel like I have self-diagnosed myself, lol!! I have those urges and have to learn to cope with them! One way was to up my food intake and then start up the Carb Ladder so that inside I don't feel deprived.

It will be an ongoing life battle. But we can do it!!

Pauline
Pauline - Adding foods to avoid the feeling of deprivation makes so much sense to me! I'm going to gradually add more food (carb ladder) and see how that helps. I love that I found your posts. So inspiring...
Purrgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:35 AM   #97

That's great Laura!! I hope it works for you too!!

Pauline
Old 05-18-2006, 08:29 AM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sillystring
WOE: LC
Start Date: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa
I may be just imagining this, but I am starting to see a correlation between my exercise rest days (now 2 of them a week) and a weight bump up on the scale.
Hi TaDa...Just wanted to stop in and say hi as I've been lurking in your journal for a while! I've found your loss and attitude inspiring - I think you're right when you say that one has to do things to not feel deprived. I'm going to start incorporating a sugar-free (non sugar-alcohol) chocolate bar a few times a week like you did.

In regards to your quote above, I heard that muscles retain water after exercise. Perhaps this would explain your gain? On days when you exercise perhaps you are sweating out your excess water.
sillystring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:38 PM   #99

Sillystring, if you are adding something, my approach would be to start up the Carb ladder, starting by adding more veggies and then on up, nuts, berries, all the way up as far as you can go and still lose weight.

Having sf chocolate on occasion is a better approach. I actually stopped eating them regularly becasue I was starting to crave them and binge on them. Now if I buy one, I only buy one. I do have sweet everyday in the form of a homemade sweet ... things like cream cheese and davinci syrup and other sweets from the recipe board are a good way to go.

Thank you for your kind words!

Pauline
Old 05-18-2006, 05:42 PM   #100

May 18, 2006

4:57 pm
Backing down on the carbs … back to 65 net carbs … but will keep the calories steady at 2000 for now. I broke my own rule of one change at a time, lol! So it looks like both of those do not work!

I have been in a very contemplative mood today. Reading about the terrible and tragic events posted by Jann (Quiggley) and Brook (Brookjay) have put me in mind yet again of what is truly important in life, our loved ones. It appears that Jann's two precious canine companions were killed in suspicious circumstances and then her Mother's belongings and former living quarters were set on fire. She was told it is Arson. Brookjay and her three young children (ages 6, 10 and 14) have just lost their father to a tragic motorcycle accident.

My daughter then came home to tell me that yet another child from her class has parents who are divorcing and splitting up that family - boys with the father, girls to the mother - and that one of the boys has run away. This on top of the same story with another neighborhood family.

I don’t know. Ours is no storybook romance, but I am in this for long haul. My family is my priority. I will not ever risk it for anything.

I told dh recently about my running partner's obsession with a man at the gym and he seemed to be disturbed about it, talking about her husband, etc. even though I told him it was just her fantasizing. I think I need to let him know, reasssure him that I am in this forever - that he is totally stuck with me. My weightloss and renewed love of life includes him in it.

If you are reading this today, do not forget to tell your loved ones what they mean to you. We can only be certain of this moment in time - nothing else.

Weight

Food
calories: 1958
carbs: 65
fats: 130 60%

Exercise
Run: 40 minutes (slow 9.7 minute mile .. still sick and feeling it)
Weights: 40 minutes (Upper Body)
Old 05-19-2006, 06:19 PM   #101

May 19, 2006

9:04 am
I am down in weight having dropped carbs back to last weeks' level and have lost a quarter inch in the waist!!!! This is the whole story of my weight this week, correlated with food and exercise:

May 12 -- 124.5 lbs
2085 cal, 73 carbs, run and lift lower

May 13 -- 124.62 lbs
1987 cal, 86 carbs, run and lift upper

May 14 -- 123.5 lbs
2362 cal, 93 carbs, exercise rest

May 15 -- 125 lbs
1951 cal, 93 carbs, long run

May 16 -- 124.875 lbs
1909 cal, 80 carbs, exercise rest

May 17 -- 125.5 lbs
1969 cal, 90 carbs, run and lift lower

May 18 -- 126 lbs
1958 calories, 65 carbs, run and lift upper

May 19 -- 125.25 lbs

So, anyhow I am very pleased that the 2000 calorie number seems to be ok as a daily level! I will fool around with the carbs again, once I figure out the calorie thing entirely because I want to be able to add one or two higher calorie days a week and still maintain.

The carb aspect is just not as important to me right now! Once I figure out this whole equation (calories, carbs, exercise, splurge days, the rest of the carb ladder) I will not worry too much about weight fluctuation!! But until I do, I will be looking very carefully at the numbers! This is more important than the whole weightloss thing was ... anyone can lose weight ... but how to make this a lifetime achievement is the most important .. it has always been my one true goal!

8:39 pm I am feeling very pleased tonight with 125 as my goal weight! DH just told me that I am looking better than I did last week - my face is not as gaunt .. and the only difference is that I hit a low of 123.5 then and am back to 125.25 today ... so it appears that this is a good goal weight for me. So nice to have that kind of reinforcement ... especially considering I lost a quarter inch in the waist since then ... that is where I'd like it to disappear, lol!! on my body!!! anyhow, I am pleased! I had also noticed that my face was not looking as thin .. but wasn't sure if it was just wishful thinking or not, lol!!!

Weight

Food
calories: 2325 Friday night Candlelight Dinner!
carbs: 74
fats: 138 55%

Exercise
Run: 40 minutes (slow 9.9 minute mile .. still sick, but I slogged through!)
Weights: 40 minutes (Lower Body)

Last edited by TaDa!; 05-19-2006 at 06:24 PM..
Old 05-20-2006, 06:48 PM   #102

May 20, 2006

9:29 pm
I did not feel well enough today to exercise, so I took today as my exercise rest day in place of my usual Sunday. I took a nap in the afternoon and felt less dizzy, etc. I will do something tomorrow … I would run outside, but I'm thinking I won't make a six mile run, so I'll probably just do 4 at the track and upper body weights … and leave the longer run for during the week with my running partner.

She is getting a little pushy about the workouts. She basically just started joining me on my runs one day (she had always done bike and elliptical, not running) - which was a welcome change from the usual, but I explained to her that my training routine would change as I lost all the weight and that she should feel free to do her workout however she wants to. I run alone when no one joins me, but when other runners join me, that's great too if we can make our pacing work .. that is my attitude.

Last week she told me that she can't run without someone to talk to .. so now I am supposed to take the hint … Well she spends hours at the gym and I have always had the feeling that she may be an "exercise bulimic." I know my crazy workouts fed into that for her, but I find long miles like I was doing without rest days take too much of a toll on my body, and having given up one 6.5 mile run workout, I am maintaining the weightlifting schedule which leaves me working toward my new goals of bodyfat reduction through muscle building .. and still leaves me open for the occasional really long run (I have a nice 10 mile in my sights that I mapped out on www.mapmyrun.com and am planning a half-marathon next chance I get).

Anyhow, I have been nice about it and will continue to be polite, but my fitness goals are non-negotiable. Gym time is Me time even though I spend some of it socializing and being friendly …. This week should be interesting!!

Weight

Food
calories: 1954
carbs: 65
fats: 130 60%

Exercise
Exercise Rest Day 1

Last edited by TaDa!; 05-20-2006 at 06:49 PM..
Old 05-23-2006, 04:37 AM   #103

May 21 and May 22, 2006

Well it has been an interesting few days. Good news and Less-Than-Good news. I succumbed to a binge on Sunday night. One of the worst in a long time.

I searched and found that my binges for the last while have been on

11/21 (tom?)
three months break!
2/24 (tom?)
3/24 (tom?)
4/29 (tom?)
5/9
5/21 (tom?)

So it looked like I had three in the last month. At first I was very upset over this, but then I really looked at the dates and two of those three were during "tom."There is only one binge that does not coincide with hormones/tom in the last six months and that is actually pretty good.

Sunday night's binge had been coming on for a day or two. I started getting upset over something - the pressure being put on me by my "running partner" - a few days prior and then "bam." But actually my entire three years on Atkins have seen me binge at least once a month at this time. In 2004 I had a hysterectomy so that I do not know I have tom in the normal way, lol! But I have been able to keep my ovaries so the hormones are no different than anyone else's.

So how do we explain three months binge-free from December to February? Well my tom symptoms which at one time were very noticeable and bothersome (irritability, chest soreness from water weight, etc.) have lessened considerably since the hysterectomy and sometimes I do not get them at all … so I'm thinking peri-menopause explains the binge-free period .. Isn't that even more encouraging?! Eventually I will not have tom as a trigger!! Woohooooooo!!!!

Aftr doing this exercise, rather than feeling upset, I feel encouraged. Only a single non-tom binge in six months. That's good! My weight has contributed to my sense of relief this morning:

124.75 May 21 Pre-Binge
125.75 May 22 Post-Binge
124.75 May 23

I stayed very low on the carbs in my binge - not purposely, but I was at 81. And I took a fat blocker "chitosan" … I'd rather not binge at all. Well I'm thinking of maybe talking to my doctor about this at my physical in June.

May 21

Weight

Food
calories: 3600
carbs: 81
fats: 240 62%

Exercise
Run: 40 minutes 9.5 minute mile
Weights: 45 minutes (upper body)

May 22

Weight

Food
calories: 1984
carbs: 68
fats: 124 57%

Exercise
Run: 40 minutes 9.5 minute mile
Weights: 45 minutes (lower body)

Last edited by TaDa!; 05-23-2006 at 04:49 AM..
Old 05-23-2006, 10:10 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

I have the exact same problem around TOM. As long as I can stick to LC foods, I'm not too worried about it - I'm hoping that one or two high calorie days in a month will keep my metabolism guessing

Edited to say...thanks for the advice on the LC chocolate. I'm having major problems controlling my eating with them. Once I eat the last couple I'll cut them out

Last edited by sillystring; 05-23-2006 at 10:28 AM..
Old 05-23-2006, 05:23 PM   #105

Tada - I guess we all have different definitions of a binge. My binges are more like fiftyhundredeleven carbs... :blush: I eat high carb junk constantly, though I do understand your definition as well. Typically I gain a MINIMUM of 5-6lbs overnight, sometimes even 10lbs.

Hang in there girlie. I'm learning so much from you and I'm grateful for that!
Purrgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:48 PM   #106

Big for you Sillystring and Laura!!!

I don't think the content matters at all ... it's the stuffing into your mouth until, or sometimes past the point of discomfort ... self-medication with food ...

I find this connection with PMS intriguing though! To think that it may be possible that I have been very successful keeping it at bay with the exception of some physical cause I cannot control is exciting ... lol!!
Old 05-23-2006, 06:03 PM   #107

May 23, 2006

8:45 pm
OK, if you are hoping I'll spout some role model stuff, quick cover your ears, or your eyes, or something. I just figured out something exciting … this is for maintenance peeps only!!!! Weightloss folks be forewarned this is a dirty topic …. Deep fried fast food …

One of my toughest places to eat on the weightloss portion of my journey … and even into Maintenance has been the fried fish shacks down where I spend some of my summer. And, I can pretty much guarantee I'll head to one of these places a couple times a week in July. The options (and I kid you not!!!):

Deep Fried and Battered any fish item you can name
Red skin potatoes - salt potatoes we call 'em
Corn on the cob (you know they boil it in sugar water)
Cole slaw
Hot lobster rolls ( a long island sound thing: lobster meat sauteed in butter in a frankfurter bun)
Salad with lobster meat

OK, obviously for the past few years I have been getting the salad, or the lobster roll minus the bun, but never felt as if I had a great meal like everyone else … well, I've been thinking now on Maintenance I would easily bring lowcarb bread with me, or pita or something for my lobster roll (a great improvement!), but what about the dang french fries or potatoes .. just way too carby to have more than once a week, I'm thinking …

And it hit me!!!!! I can have onion rings and fried fish … I went to ****** and 15 large onion rings are like 15 net carbs, 200 calories. Half a pound of deep fried cod or haddock is 15 net carbs, 400 calories … so a little high on the calories, lol! The lobster roll without the high carb roll is the better option! But now at least I will have some options …

OK enough drooling on the keyboard!

Weight

Food
calories: 2025
carbs: 69
fats: 127 57%

Exercise
Run: 40 minutes <9.5 minute mile
Weights: 45 minutes (upper body)
Old 05-23-2006, 06:20 PM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
I bet you could have the potatoes - or maybe half of them - and it wouldn't be a problem. Carbs are a little high but you have increased carbs so you could handle that. Maybe try one and see if you think it spikes your insulin. I can handle potatoes and brown rice, but I can't handle anything with gluten. Maybe you can just get a whole lobster! How bad would that be to live on lobster all summer. Its been a long time since I was in N England, but I seem to remember roadside stands serving whole lobsters every few miles.

Leptin is Cool
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 06:29 PM   #109

Good thinking Rich!! And I hate to say it, more dirty Maintenance talk, but Tom_912 turned me on to Phase 2 carb blockers which is something I will definitely be giving a try!!!!

Problem for me is that I am not a do-things-in-a-small-way kinda girl. ... if I eat fries, I'm eating all the dang fries, lol!!! Maybe I could con one of my kids into sharing an order ....

Old 05-23-2006, 06:29 PM   #110
Senior LCF Member

There is a chapter in The Diet Cure about amino acid therapy for food cravings/bingeing. It recommends 5-HTP to balance out the serotonin levels. I just started taking this (today, actually) and will let you know how it goes!
Old 05-23-2006, 06:32 PM   #111

Interesting that 5-htp! Let me know how it goes!!!! Thanks for mentioning it!

I do get extra amino acids in the whey powder I use, but not enough probably!

Old 05-23-2006, 06:40 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Oh, and you have probably heard of this one - L-Glutamine, taken broken under the tongue, is supposed to stop sugar cravings. I always forget to try this!
Old 05-24-2006, 07:09 PM   #113

Thanks Sillystring! I did some more research and went and bought the 5-htp ... took it with dinner .... It supposedly affects serotonin levels ... we'll see if it works for me!!!

Old 05-24-2006, 07:10 PM   #114

May 24, 2006

10:01 pm
My weight is down again and I actually upped my calories yesterday. Most regular days I had been eating about 1950 calories, with a friday meal at 2300 calories. Yesterday I upped to 2025 (so 75 calories more). I fought some mental hunger last night and did not cave ... but my weight is down today ..

I am thinking it may have been physical hunger ... I've decided to up my daily calories now to 2100 and see how that works out. I do not want to go below 124 lbs.

I am also taking an exercise rest day today, so I could very well have a little scale bump up in the morning - must remind myself of this ..

Anyhow, the grand experiment continues!!!

Weight

Food
calories: 2075
carbs: 68
fats: 133 59%

Exercise
Exercise Rest Day
Old 05-24-2006, 07:25 PM   #115
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: abercrombie3f
Stats: 192, currently 150ish
WOE: moderate/healthy carbs
Start Date: September 2005
Good evening Pauline! Congrats on your success with increasing cals...thats great!! Just wondering how many exercise rest days you take per week? Also, what all does each work out day entail?
abercrombie3f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:41 PM   #116

Gallery: DisneyPrincess
WOE: Whatever it Takes
Start Date: Time to make this a lifestyle!
Wow girl...you have a fantastic metabolism!! I am so glad your plan is owkring for you! You have really followed Atkins and it has done nothing but paid off. Now if only we could get others to see that fad diets are a waste of time!

Hope you enjoyed your rest day
DisneyPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:23 AM   #117

Hi Aber, I was working out 6 days a week, but I cut one 6.5 mile run a few weeks ago to give myself two rest days. I need the time to get the rst of my life in order, feel happy about my schedule. Also I was getting worn down and looking a bit haggard, lol!!

My new schedule is:

1 Day: 60 minute 6.5 mile run (9-9.5 minute mile)
2 Days: 40 minute run, 45 minutes upper body weightlifting
2 Days: 40 minute run, 45 minutes lower body weightlifting

I am also reserving the possibility of throwing in some longer 10 mile runs in there. My schedule gets hectic for the next few months ... I tens to actually do better with a firm schedule in the winter, believe it or not! lol!!!

If you look through my entries you can see exactly what my exercise and food intake is every day.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:28 AM   #118
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: abercrombie3f
Stats: 192, currently 150ish
WOE: moderate/healthy carbs
Start Date: September 2005
Thanks Pauline! Would you mind taking a look at my routine:
3 days: 45 min walking on treadmill (~3.75 miles), ~30 min weights
3 days: 45 min walking on treadmill
Do you think I should cut back?
abercrombie3f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:35 AM   #119

Thanks for the support Jackie!! My metabolism actually kinda sucks, lol!!!! I did this funky machine metabolism test, and it came out to 1110 .... where they usually give you a rule of thumb to multiply your weight by 10 ... which comes out to 1240 ... I can just imagine what my metabolism reading would have been if I did not exercise and have built some muscle

(I was wondering if maybe having had a hysterectomy had something to do with it ... basically missing an organ my body would need to sustain on a daily basis ... interesting thought!)

I totally give credit to the exercise!!! According to ******, I should burn about 2500 calories a day total, according to the trainer based on the metabolism test, I should burn 2000 calories a day, according to my own survey of weight lost and food intake, I should burn 2300 calories a day at this weight ....

Can you even fathom those non-exercisers calorie-depriving folks who have to eat 1200-1300 calories a day on MAINTENANCE??!!! And many of them are taller than me and weigh much more at goal ....

So sad for them and for the deperate people they rope into going for quick weightloss schemes!!!

Surely you can also eat a good calorie level Jackie?! I know you do higher carbs in BFFM, right?
Old 05-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Pauline - I'm intrigued by this metabolism test. What was involved? Currently I eat anywhere from 1800-2500 calories a day and am losing slowly...but losing. I hope it keeps up!

Have you noticed any difference from the 5-HTP yet? I think it's supposed to work pretty quickly, as long as it's taken separate from other protein. I tried another amino acid recently - GABA, it's supposed to be relaxing - and I felt REALLY WEIRD for two days. I won't be taking that one again!

Last edited by sillystring; 05-25-2006 at 01:20 PM..