Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:41 AM   #1081
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NeGA
Stats: 5'10" and 164
WOE: Low Carb Something!
Start Date: February 22, 2010
Pauline, you have been involved in some heavy reading lately. I know books work best (sitting through dance classes) but if you have the time I think you would find this interview very insightful.

Bill Moyers Journal . Watch & Listen | PBS

It is Bill Moyers interview with Michael Pollan. There is a link there to the second part. I've watched it many times.
NeGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #1082
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Thanks for the link NeGA! I did watch it and I'll say that his socio-political case for moving away from factory farming are great - especially in that they might sway a certain segment of society. I am all for allies of various "food" persuasions and for the practical / pragmatic arguments -- the many many such arguments and cases - against agribusiness and the "millionaire farmers" who benefit from our losses in health, national security, biodiversity of species, and plain morality as to the treatment of all living things. No matter what angle you come at it, the crime being perpetrated against us, our planet, our country, our children's future and our fellow creatures is undeniable.

It's just too bad that people are too afraid that change will affect them to even be willing to listen to, or try and learn about what agribusiness has to done to us since the 20s and 30s. I am heartened that there are so many messengers now who do not offend people and their beliefs so much as they try and appeal to them in a way that is palatable. That has always been my problem with PETA -- but according to Foer, they have been the one group that has had the most success in changing some cattle and poultry practices ... I hate to think that only hitting people over the head with their own fears is adequate to budge anyone ... I applaud Michael Pollan and his call to "vote with your fork." I think the more angles we go at it, the better things will be for all of us! People and movements like ones spurred on by Michael Pollan, people like Jamie Oliver working to change the American school lunch program, and well, the individuals who vote with their forks as much as they can ...

Last edited by TaDa!; 04-07-2010 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: Typos!
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #1083

Thursday April 8, 2010

Erg! Lots to post today. I am going to first put in some recipes I posted in the lowcarb veg thread on the Recipe board. Later I will also post up some more information from the New Atkins book that I put up in response to a query about it ...

I have been working on a vegan muffin recipe in order to try to have one Vegan lowcarb day a week and am posting one that I have been using. The Minute Muffin itself is vegetarian, and a great thing! LOL! I have posted it at the very bottom of this post, but for a long thread with many variations, go here: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...in-recipe.html

This is what I have come up with for a vegan version. It is, by necessity flatter (less rise due to the elimination of the eggs) and a little wetter. I think it is tasty but can use some kind of topping like perhaps sugarfree jam or jelly. There is a post on a forum called Veggieboards where they use cream of coconut, whip it and add sweetener so that would be another delicious option! Myself I need to be economical with my time and effort in cooking so I will likely try the sf jam option at some point!

Note: For both versions, make sure you get baking powder with 0 carbs -- some brands add cornstarch as well as carbs!

Vegan Minute Plus Flax Muffin

1/4 cup Ground Flax or Flax Meal
1 t Baking Powder
1 t Cinnamon
1 T Coconut Oil
4 drops of liquid splenda
2 T hot boiling water

Mix the dry ingredients together and place them in a small cup or small tupperware. Place the tablespoon of solid coconut oil on top of the dry ingredients and place 4 drops of liquid splenda on top of that. Now take two tablespoons of boiling water and pour over the top. Quickly mix it all together trying to blend the ingredients as much as possible. Place it in the microwave for 80 seconds and you are finished. Allow it to cool before eating with sweet garnish of some sort.

........ 246 calories, 1.7 net carbs, 22.8 gm fat ........

Original Minute Muffin (vegetarian)

1/4 cup Flax Meal
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 packet Splenda
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Egg
1-2 teaspoons Butter

Mix the dry ingredients in a large coffee cup. Add egg and butter; mix well. Microwave for 50-seconds to 1-minute. Muffin pops right out

1.5 Carbs -- higher calories than the vegan version as far as I remember.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #1084

Gallery: debbiedo
Stats: pretty close to perfect!
WOE: mindful eating/running off the pounds
Start Date: over and over again
For some reason I thought Vegans didn't eat eggs since they come from an animal.Maybe it is dairy I am thinking of.
debbiedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #1085

No, you are right Debbie! The Vegan recipe above doesn't have either eggs or butter in it! I have 2 recipes listed - the Vegan one and then the original recipe which is Vegetarian (lacto-ovo).

Pauline
Old 04-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #1086

April 8, 2010 continued

So here is some information on OWL and the carb ladder that I posted in another post ... stay tuned for more on Maintenance and Vegetarianism / Vegan method of doing Atkins ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieCakes View Post
Again I don't have the new book yet, however. I think I read somewhere that the new book suggests that for OWL you can start at any rung you want. Is that accurate? I'd love to start at nuts as opposed to extra veggies. Can anyone confirm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
OK .. I finished the book ... and the authors discuss this issue in the context of three different situations: (1) OWL, (2) Pre-Maintenance, and (3) the Vegetarian and Vegan lifestyles.

As far as OWL and Pre-Maintenance, the directive is to go up the ladder a rung at a time, where you go up to the lower rungs in OWL and the implication is there that you save the higher rungs, for Pre-Maintenance.

As far as changing the rungs of the carb ladder, skipping etc., here is an excerpt:

PERSONALIZE OWL

Once you have the basics Ongoing Weight Loss under you belt ... it's time to learn how to customize OWL to suit your needs, culinary heritage or preferences and metabolism. Assuming that you're continuing to slim down steadily, you may be able to change the order established in the carb ladder, as long as you stick to your daily quota of carbs. So if you prefer to add berries before nuts or yogurt before berries, give it a try. But don't try this with legumes (unless you're a vegetarian or vegan), which are higher in carbs. What is not negotiable is continuing to get at least 12 to 15 grams of Net Carbs from foundation vegetables ...

Now in the Pre-Maintenance chapter, they say the following which, to me, implies that they prefer that folks follow the ladder as much as possible:

"CUSTOMIZING PRE-MAINTENANCE

We generally recommend that you introduce carbohydrate foods in the sequence shown by the carb ladder in both OWL and Pre-Maintenance. But if you're continuing to lose weight at a reasonably regular pace and the foods you've reintroduced recently haven't sparked uncontrollable hunger or other symptoms, you may be able to change the order ..."

The carb ladder looks a little different too with the introduction of yogurt (yay!) in 4 oz serving sizes:

The New Atkins Carb Ladder!

1. Foundation Vegetables: leafy greens and other low-carb vegetables

2. Dairy Foods high in fat and low in carbs

3. Seeds and Nuts (but not chestnuts)

4. Berries, cherries and melons (but not watermelon)

5. Whole milk yogurt and fresh cheeses, such as cottage cheese and ricotta

6. Legumes

7. Tomato and vegetable juice "cocktail" (plus more lime and lemon juice)

8. Other fruits (but not fruit juices or dried fruits)

9. Higher-carb vegetables, such as winter squash, carrots and peas

10. Whole grains
Quote:
You betcha ! Angiecakes! I'll be returning this copy to the library in a few days, so if you have any questions, think 'em up quick! lol!

As far as yogurt:

OK
Whole plain unsweetened yogurt - 4 oz = 5.5 net carbs
greek unsweetened yogurt - 4 oz = 3.5 net carbs
lowcarb yogurt - 4 oz = 3 net carbs

Not OK

processed yogurt with fruit or added sugar
lowfat yogurt
nonfat yogurt

NOTE!!! The serving size is 4 oz which is half a cup, not a whole cup as far as add-ins for OWL .. My advice, you may do ok with a whole cup, but you will need to test it a la carb ladder ...

Have fun!!

Pauline
Quote:

For comparison's sake, here is Dr. Atkins Carb ladder

The Original Atkins Carb Ladder

1. More Salad and other vegetables on the acceptable foods list

2. Fresh cheeses (as well as more aged cheese)
induction is 3-4 oz hard cheese. And fresh cheese refers to cottage and farmers cheeses

3. Seeds and Nuts

4. Berries

5. Wine and other spirits low in carbs

6. Legumes

7. Fruits other than berries and melons
5 carbs= 1/4 cup of apple, fruit cocktail in water, 6 cherries, 6 grapes, 1/4 grapefruit, and others.

8. Starchy vegetables
carrots, squash, yams, peas, potatoes

9. Whole Grains
brown rice, oatmeal, corn, whole wheat, barley

hth!

Pauline
Old 04-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #1087
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Joycelyn
Pauline, thank you so much for talking about the new Atkins book approach to vegetarianism.

Returning to vegetarianism really changes your mental focus. I know in this world it is impossible to be 100% vegetarian perfect - worms get killed when farm veggies are pulled out of the earth and processed; ants get stepped on. I'm sure the vegetable soup I get in restaurants often contains chicken broth. But the very act of just doing the least damage possible is very enlightening to me. It makes you kinder - Buddhists simply call it compassion. Whatever. It's real.
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:35 AM   #1088

Funny you should post right now Joycelyn! I was just coming in to summarize the vegetarian and vegan options of the new book, lol! and will do that below I do agree with you -- and that is one reason I liked Jonathan Foer's book. One thing I can take from it, is that it is not about the inconsistencies that crop up, but about what you can and do do. It is important to try and weed out your own inconsistencies, continually educate yourself, eat mindfully and progress. If you concentrate solely on the inconsistencies, you eventually just get paralyzed, and can get to a point where you throw your arms up and just give up .. it is that old black and white, bad and good, that plagues us in weightloss programs too .....

Friday April 9, 2010

Here is some information on the vegetarian and vegan options given in The New Atkins For A New You (NANY) by Dr. Eric C. Westman, Dr. Stephen D. Phinney, and Dr. Jeff S. Volek. I intend to also include some information on the Maintenance portion of the book at a later date.

Both vegans and vegetarian versions of NANY start at OWL, rather than Induction, at the lowest rungs possible to include appropriate plant proteins not included on a traditional Induction. I think this makes a lot of sense! I did induction way back when using Dr. Atkins directives + tofu (minus the meat of course) and it was very very repetitive and hard to get through!

The information on veg Atkins is sprinkled throughout the book and my best advice is to read it all in order to get the best idea of all the options open to you. There is a nice summary and portion guide of the vegetarian proteins like tofu and tempeh, for example, in the induction section (on page 84) and most of the foods in the induction portion of the book - with the exception of the animal proteins and dairy for Vegans - is going to be applicable!

Vegans start in OWL at 50 net carbs, including both rung 3 of the NANY Carb Ladder (seeds and nuts) and rung 6 (legumes) as vegan proteins. The authors do say that weightloss speed will be slower, mostly due to the legumes. Specific instructions on how to include legumes, quantities, and lowest carb counts are given to help a vegan segue from the portion size and usage in high carb vegan eating which is going to differ drastically in lowcarb!!

Vegetarians start in OWL at 30 net carbs and include rung 3, nuts. Vegetarians also have the option of 50 net carbs like Vegans for slower weightloss. I will also add that the authors' addition of yogurt to the definition of "fresh cheeses" for OWL is very helpful! Mind you, I have been adding them in there myself for a few years already, but it is nice to have a Atkins doctor verify this approach!!

I took a look at the menus and they look to me like the typical cookbook menus you get for vegetarians and vegans ... in other words, a little too fancy and specialized for me! Now if I had a private chef, I'd love those menus!!!! but I tend to just eat a lot of what I like and eat similar menus daily -- lol! --Probably why I cringe when people ask me for vegetarian lc menus on here - since I get into food ruts, and my menu may be totally unpalatable to someone else.

Nonetheless the menus are a great resource for wannabe Atkins vegans/vegs! And, I feel similarly about Rose Elliott's book menus and recipes .. I also think there is no such thing as a typical anything -- meateater, vegetarian, vegan, etc. so do not go on my word, if you are interested in this way of eating, check out both books for yourself!!

The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Rose Elliott
The New Atkins For A New You by Dr. Eric C. Westman, Dr. Stephen D. Phinney, and Dr. Jeff S. Volek
Old 04-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #1089

April 9, 2010 continued

Just had a nice candlelight dinner with after-dinner activities run by my 9 year old. We played "you have been sentenced" following which, we were directed to make up poems and had a poetry slam ... where I composed one of my finest:

eyelids flutter
houses shutter
blurble blurble
butter butter

I lost the poetry slam, but that's ok since the dinner came to a close with all of us attempting to lick our elbows and then our noses.

I am proud to report that I was successful at neither ... Have a good weekend!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:15 AM   #1090
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Oh wow, thanks to Pauline (TaDa) I didn't realize this journal thread was here. This might be just what I need to jumpstart my wt loss and get off the 10 lb gain. Cool!!
vli1127 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:15 AM   #1091

Hey Vicki! You can do it Girl!!!!

Monday April 12, 2010

Well, it is so weird how my body has changed so much in the past few years. Trying to lose a few pounds now, my body has consistently plateaued (with a small gain) for 3 weeks of every month, with a reliable whoosh at the beginning of week 4. And, yes, once again Whoosh! this morning. And as for "whoosh" we are talking a pound here, lol! I cannot even imagine how things would have been if this were the way my body behaved back in 2003, my first year on Atkins!

Mind you, I do realize, already being in healthy bmi and trying to lose farther into it back to goal weight is different than when you carry 100+ pounds to lose .. but I do not remember this happening before at this weight either ...

I just posted a thread to the Maintainer's Lane in response to my reading of NANY on Maintenance and I will be interested in hearing on what others' have to post. In NANY they speak about the fact that one's ability to get up to a high CCLM / ACE (100 net carbs for me) is less important than the ability to stave off hunger caused by carb levels. They actually promote backing off the higher levels to closer to 50 net carbs and making up the difference in added fat to your diet .. and I am seriously contemplating changing the shape of my maintenance in this direction ..

-- where I would maintain at 60-70 net carbs (instead of 100), eat more fat (the level seems to get to 65% if I make up a fantasy menu), and save the 100 net carbs level for here and there, special occasions, etc ...

Anyhow just some ideas ...
Old 04-12-2010, 05:39 AM   #1092

Came in to add that just adding in 1 of the vegan flax muffins and changing my milk back to half and half would probably be all I would do to my current menu to get the maintenance menu which adds like 40 gm of fat and bring my net carbs way down to 53 net carbs!!! I would think that those levels would leave me very satisfied ... anyhoooo happy with this plan so far ... now to just get back to 128 pounds! I should be there by July if my current rate of loss (if you can call it that) continues ...
Old 04-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #1093
Senior LCF Member

Hi Pauline. Like what I'm reading about the carb/fat thing. Carbs make me crazy hungry. Well, let me back that up and say grain/starch carbs make me crazy hungry. I'm working my Atkins around 60/70 carbs and 40% fat right now. I can workout hard, build muscle and not be hungry. And working around those women that have to have peanut butter cookies and brownies at 4p every weekend shift... I NEED not to give into cravings!
Old 04-16-2010, 04:36 AM   #1094

Hey NeGA, Those sound just like the numbers I had been using! I recently cut back the carbs to closer to 60 with fat around 53% and I can say it has been a little harder on my workouts but I know I will get used to it! It really is funny how I like fat so much more than any carbs (well, except for veggies and dairy ... loooooove my veggies and dairy!)

Friday April 16, 2010

So I realized I haven't been writing in here much lately .. probably because it's all just boring waiting for the last pounds to come off, lol!! I suppose that might be difficult for some people to relate to ... that hits me especially hard when I see some of the dramatic struggles with pizzas and fries on the Main Board and other dramas about how weightloss of a certain amount isn't enough to keep someone on plan ... People just have not come to terms with reality. They are still living in a fantasy where everything in life is unfair, everyone else has it better and is mocking them personally ... They feel that they have been dealt a bad hand so they sit around sulking and rationalizing their overweight /obesity /morbid obesity instead of just getting on with it.

I have come to realize that you just do what you do and it comes off eventually. And if you cannot get to that place, you cannot do this. You cannot lose a significant amount of weight and keep it off .. because eventually all of this just becomes very boring ... it becomes habit and you evolve into that other you, the "thin" you who no longer struggles so much -- the you that just does what they have to do to get the job done whether it is weightloss or maintenance ... decidedly unglamorous and boring ... and effective ....

(see that little train chugging up the mountain: I think I can I think I can I think I can ....)
Old 04-16-2010, 05:47 AM   #1095

Of course you can!!! You are more disciplined then anyone I know. I gave up measuring, weighing and counting every bite 3-4 years ago and carry the extra 8 or so pounds from my lowest weight to show for it.

I have total faith in you attaining you goal Pauline.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:18 AM   #1096

Lol! Debbie! Maintaining at 8 pounds above without counting, weighing and measuring is really very very good -- if I could do that, maybe I would do exactly what you have done so successfully!!!!! I think you are doing great!!! So far in this, when I go that route I steadily go up and only catch it and get determined to "stop the madness" at the 10 pound mark ... the difference, is my weight would just steadily climb back up to the mid 200s - and I have coped with binge eating which is a part of it.

I know I will get off the last few pounds - I don't have any doubts at all and feel like it is no big deal -- it is just rote at this point. My big challenge is to come up with a better maintenance plan /level once I get to 128 so that I stabilize there.

I am really happy with myself and my last 7 years -- all of them -- Keeping 90 of the pounds off for 6 years (without any regain there) is a huge achievement for me. This is just the next big mountain to climb and it's ok if these little stumbling blocks happen ... I am ever improving. That's how I feel

Thank you for your kind words and your support!
Old 04-16-2010, 06:56 AM   #1097

Oh I binge terribly.It can be dry cereal. It can be crackers. It can be rice cakes for goodness sake. it is all too many calories. If I didn't run the way I do I would be far heavier I am sure.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #1098

Debbie -- it is what we do manage to do that counts. I think you are doing great!

Sunday April 18, 2010

My youngest dd was flagged as being overweight some 3 or 4 years ago and we worked hard to get her down to borderline normal/overweight bmi for her age and size. It has been really hard work the last few years to work on portion control with her as she, like me, has an insatiable appetite. Educating her on what is healthy food, how to eat some unhealthy things sparingly, and to portion control your food throughout the day ...

So anyhow, she is now 9 and she came up to me the other day in anticipation of a trip to Nana's house where she is going to stay for a few days and said to me: "Mom can we bring my breakfast bars with me? I don't want to eat those cereals Nana buys for me because I know how unhealthy they are."

And then she proceeds to tell me how happy she is because she has noticed a big difference in her "shape" and she wants to make sure to keep it that way -- and maybe we could send her usual snacks, and "Does Nana know the right food portions to feed me at meals like you do?"

I am just so happy that she is showing self-esteem and pride in her health and wanting to go to the gym with me, etc. I feel like it is one huge accomplishment to have gotten to this place for her when at her age I was already obese, ashamed, and bullied .. And she is not afraid to eat on special occasions like our meal out tonight where she really let go, lol! She does not have diet mentality which I already had at that age. It seems she has such a healthy relationship to food!

To top it all off: she did not fit in normal sized jeans in September - kids size 10 that were hand-me-downs from my older dd. it was a big problem at the time because she also was too small for plus-sized girls jeans - I saved the regular jeans, thinking that maybe she might slim down. I went into the clothing boxes to grab a skirt and just for laughs we tried them on this morning and they fit!!!!!!! which means she has lost several inches off of her belly in 8 months!

I am so happy for her - I cannot even begin to say how much. What a great day!

Last edited by TaDa!; 04-18-2010 at 05:23 PM..
Old 04-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #1099
Senior LCF Member

Oh Pauline... I'm so happy for you and your daughter. It's such a fine line to walk in todays world to help a young girl understand food in a healthy way. You are right... it's a GREAT day! Praise God for mommies that understand AND can communicate it through word and deed.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #1100

that is wonderful Pauline. congratulations to you and your daugher.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:27 AM   #1101
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Congratulations to teaching your daughter the right way to view food. So happy to hear how she is doing and wow for fitting in the jeans today!

I hope to be a good example to my grandkids. I want them to have a healthy relationship with food. I wish I would never ever have went on a diet in my teens. I think I would not have had the unhealthy thinking about food that caused me to become obese. JMHO
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #1102

Thanks Ladies I am pretty stoked about it myself! Especially since I have said nothing to her about trying to get her weight to go down ... she brought up the fact that *she* noticed how good she was looking, lol .... another victory for sneaky mom!

Dianne - I do agree with you that restrictive dieting can be the culprit in gaining weight ... that's what happened to me too. I responded to being put on diets as a child by binge eating in private whatever I could get my hands on .... so so so glad not to be perpetuating that in my children!!!

Tuesday April 20, 2010

So it has been a week of celebrations -- Mexican the other night -- tonight is Italian run by a Mexican who does some cool mixed cuisine ... The other night I did great - it was the restaurant On The Border and I had the Fajita salad because I did not have any pitas or anything with me to do regular fajitas .. and the salad was waaaaaaaay better! LOL! and totally Atkins-virtuous! Here's hoping I do as well tonight!!! I can't get the menu to open on their website, so no pre-planning ... I'm sure it'll be fine ...

Just so close to being back to goal that I guess I don't want any detours, lol!! I am making myself wait to buy new jeans ... There's the real reason for the anxiousness
Old 04-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #1103

Tuesday April 20, 2010 Update ...

No problem tonight ... DD seems to have chicken pox and will not be going away for the week ... ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy this should be an interesting Spring Break for the kiddos ...
Old 04-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #1104

did she not get the vaccine? I thought the kids today don't get chicken pox.Adults do occasionally. Sorry about this.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #1105

yeah she's had all the varicella vaccines ... it does seem to be a mild case, but we can't risk my folks developing shingles, yada yada yada, lol! We're not even sure 100% that it is chicken pox - but the doc doesn't want to see her unless there are complications or additional symptoms show up that indicate it's not ...

I thought it was a bit of eczema at first, but today I realized it had progressed down the trunk area, etc etc ... oh well!!!! lol!!!!
Old 04-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #1106

she could be given an anti viral to reduce the length and severity of the symptoms. Some people don't get immunity with certain vaccines.I hope it is a mild case so she isn't too uncomfortable. All my kids had Chicken Pox before there was a vaccine.

poor kid.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #1107
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GardenGirl639
Stats: 229/restart 201/193/145 5'3 3/4"
Sorry your DD has chicken pox during her Spring Break. Poor thing.

What a great job you are doing with your kids with regards to food and eating. My oldest (19) seems to being doing well...she has the amazing ability to only eat when hungry and stop eating when full. She told me that she HATES the feeling of having a too full stomach. It happened ONCE and she never wants to feel it again.

We adopted our middle child with severe eating problems. It seems so counter intuitive to make her eat, but her stomach/mind doesn't give her the right signals and she would go all day without food. She is very underweight-diagnosed by severeal doctors.

We are watching my youngest. It is very hard to balance the needs of two children on opposite ends of the spectrum.

None of us want to pass our own disordered eating onto our children.

Good job, Pauline.

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."-Thomas Edison
"I never failed once. It just happened to be a 2000 step process"-Thomas Edison
"It's never too late to be who you might have been"-George Eliot
Dream it, talk it, live it. -Rose Fitzgerald
GardenGirl639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:32 AM   #1108

Thanks Elizabeth!! Mine are also at different ends of the spectrum which makes it hard not to make the little one feel like she is being food-restricted -- when she is, lol! or she'll eat the same amount as my 110 lb 14 yo, or more even -- Sounds like you have it even harder though since you have to encourage your middle child to get the necessary nutrition. It makes me wonder how people with 5 kids or more manage to raise theirs without just ignoring some of those needs .....

Thursday April 22, 2010

Yep - definitely chicken pox. And my older daughter is the one really suffering because the other parents are keeping their older children away from her too <sigh> so we are right now stuck unable to go do anything waiting for the older one's friend to call back about making plans (when I know her parents are not letting her call back) - ugh. At some point I'll just have to tell dd we are up and going to go do something because she won't be getting a call .... bleh.

Went to the gym last night after serving everyone their dinner and I ate my dinner at 9 after the gym. I guess I'll do the same tonight -- I am afraid dd won't be able to go back to school on Monday because they'll make me take her into Boston to the doctor to get a note that she isn't contagious <aaagh!!> The spots are obviously still active today and I can't imagine they'll all be inactive by tomorrow when I do have time to go to the doctor --

yes, grumpy!

no, not turning to food! I have that thin feeling that I get at goal - funny how you forget about that feeling when you are up a few pounds. There is definitely a place where I cross over to my skinny me. so skinny me is going to sit here and be grumpy not eating ...

Last edited by TaDa!; 04-22-2010 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: crazy typos
Old 04-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #1109

Skinny you can handle this. Hopefully your immunized kiddo won't have it too badly and the course will be shortened. It is weird but some people don't get immunity from shots. They draw titers to check this for measles etc.

I think the friends of your older daughter are fine. They were all immunized I am sure and your older daughter isn't sick and can't give it to them unless she is. I remember a baby sitter wouldn't sit for my kids when they had chicken pox because she was afraid she would give it to other kids she sat for. That is not how it works. Oh well you can't blame parents I guess.

I hope you don't have to go to the doctor to get a note. That would be a pain and they probably don't want a kid with chicken pox coming into their office.

OK skinny Pauline come vent here whenever you need. I always say when I am on the computer it keeps me out of my kitchen. Of course I can eat at the computer pretty easily.

I know all about those skinny days. I feel fine until I see a photo from a race and then I see flabby tummy and legs. I hate the angles they take our photos.My husband says we see things others don't when they look at us.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:39 AM   #1110

Wow!!! Awesome avatar photo!!!!! Debbiedo!!!!!!! lol!!!!! I do know what you mean about terrible photos at various angles ... I am so chesty I get those weird photos a lot, lol!!!

Thank you for the info and commiseration! I'm planning to send little dd to school tomorrow morning and just see what happens -- she hasn't had any new spots since Thursday and they are all crusted and healed/healing like the doc's office explained to me so I feel perfectly fine with it .. but apparently it can take a long time to go away entirely (and she is prone to eczema and keratosis so her skin isn't the quickest recovering from skin stuff) ..

Saturday April 25, 2010

Hmmm lots of stuff and not so much stuff .. I am in that 2-3 week period where my weight goes up and down a half pound before I drop weight. It is annoying just because I want to be done with getting these last few pounds off and get to the business of full maintenance again and it would be nice to do before I go away in July to my folks' which is always stressful and hard to weigh myself accurately to keep tabs, etc etc etc. Just bellyaching here -- I have NOTHING to complain about. I am looking really great right now, lol! I tried on my skinny pants and I could absolutely wear them right now if I wanted to -- the extra couple of pounds will make a small difference in fit, but I am where I need to be clothes-wise, lol!

I started preparing a little little for my talk at TOPS on my weightloss. I pulled out my "fat pants" and top and held them up next to me in the mirror -- what an eye-opening experience. You forget. You really do just forget and get bogged down in whatever current struggle you are in. I am definitely bringing those in for my talk. People there have been pointing out since I arrived there (and no I could not put on those skinny pants then in December!) how "skinny" I am .. and even though my before pictures are pretty telling, I think the clothes are just jaw-dropping.

I am wracking my brain a bit on how to present the before photos (no need for afters as I will be standing there the after .. and plan to wear my skinny pants, lol!). There is an easel and so I was thinking of printing out some 11x17 color ones and just mounting them on gator board.

I also have to think about the bulk of the presentation which is, I suppose: tips from my experience that might help the others in their journey and come up with an outline of that (points) to maybe have on the easel so I can just go down the list.

I plan to bring a number of books with me as they have been critical in my journey. And, then a handout possibly listing different lowcarb plans and maybe a synopsis of each one, a list of the lowcarb plan books, and a list of other books that have helped me ....

I guess the biggest thing to work on is getting the tips into some kind of cohesive and coherent order ...I know my twinny Dianne is an old veteran at these talks being queen runner up for her State (WA?) last year and a regular speaker, so Dianne if you are listening, any and all tips would be very much appreciated!!!!! I will probably also post in the TOPS thread for ideas from other Lowcarb TOPS members ... and on the Main Board for ideas on presenting lowcarb to lowfatters ...

Well, I had another topic to write about here about imminent self-destruction that I can see but can't very well point out ... but I will save it for another post as my 9 year old will kill me if I spend any longer at this .. I have promised to make oatmeal glycerin soap with her from her spa kit ... fun fun!!

Just one more thing ... was asked to post some pix and posted these to the TOPS thread - finally resized to see on one page:

Before:
First two pictures at about 236, Second one at 225 after losing 10 pounds:

During and After
At 135 lbs and at 128 lbs: