LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #1021
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmoon View Post
Gee Pauline, I never thought of Leeks as "alien" but you're right!
Thanks for the congrats...I should say, I still have a thing for the scales but don't jump on them all the time like I use to. It was driving me mad I tell you!
I remember you saying your daughter had an allergy to sesame seeds and yes, I love my humus chunky too!

Twyla,..I couldn't resist.
Let me address this RIGHT NOW.

THAT IS TOO FUNNY!

And to think it's even courtroom-related...that makes it even funnier.

Yep. Has my name all over it.:blush:
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #1022

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
February 27, 2010

Erg. OK, heading out to a rehearsal shortly. I have about an hour to get my happy face back on .....

Soooooo....Are we good yet?
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #1023

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Yes much better now!! lol!!

Rehearsal went well. Costume situation is in control and moving forward.

Pounding headache is almost gone.

Food packed in ice has been unpacked. House is back in non-emergency order!

DH is on the couch alternately watching soccer and Olympic Sports coverage - smart man - out of my way. Grumpy big dd is sulking in her room - out of our way ..... Little dd and I are right now working on Cauliflower Leek Soup - fun!

And the snow is coming down!

Thanks for asking!
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #1024
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: msmoon
Pauline, you've been eXtra busy. Glad it's all working out well finally and that the headache has subsided. Oh and....I'll be over for soup shortly!
Twyla,
msmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:41 AM   #1025
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PalmTreeGal
Stats: 181/123/115 @ 5'2
WOE: LC eclectic
Pauline, post the cauli leek soup recipe when you get a chance!
PalmTreeGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:25 AM   #1026

Mavis ... you ever make it to Massachusetts, I'd love to have you over for soup! PalmTreeGal .. I will post the soup for you below -- but I think it would be better with a few changes ...

February 28, 2010

Both girls liked the soup, especially the drippy cheddar and I served them theirs with whole grain toast and butter on the side. DH, however, did not say a word, which means he did not like it -- rather than be insulted by his reply, I did not ask him outright, lol!!!! I'm never interested in being insulted! lol!

I thought the flavor was excellent - very savory - but think it would be much better with either some heavy cream or some sour cream in it -- maybe even using whole milk instead of the 1% I used. The original recipe with potato called for whole milk. I was trying to make the calorie count a certain level so I could have cheddar cheese in it (and using the 1% milk I keep on hand) and I really felt that the soup was not fatty enough. Otherwise the flavor was amazing though and very easy to make.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cauli Leek Soup

* 4 tbsp Butter
* 1 whole Cauliflower Head
* 1 very large Leek (11 oz on the scale)
* 1 large stalk Raw Celery
* 1 large Carrot, Raw
* 3 cup Milk
* 1/2 cup Water or Soup Stock
* Black Pepper to taste
* 1/4 tsp Salt
* 1/2 tsp California Style Garlic Salt with Parsley
* 2 tbsp Chives - optional garnish
* Grated Cheddar Cheese - garnish

Chop up the veggies and saute in the butter for 5 minutes, cover to steam a bit. Make sure all the veggies are covered in butter somewhat. Allow to cool.

Add the spices to the veggie mixture and then process, or use a blender to puree them with the 3 cups of milk.

When it is time to serve the soup, gently bring the soup up to temperature but do not overheat. Ladle into bowls and top each bowl with shredded cheddar and chives or parsley as a garnish. (I have a large pot of garlic chives growing in my front window, so we just snip that into a lot of dishes, lol!).

Makes about 8 cups of soup. 1.5 cups = normal soup bowl.

The nutritional value for this recipe (not including the cheddar cheese) is: Per Cup: 147 calories, 9 net carbs, 8 gm fat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I made this so that a serving would be a full bowl which is 1.5 cups in my kitchen and I must say I was VERY full after dinner ... So actually now that I look at it, I should have used higher fat dairy and just lowered my serving to 1 cup. It would have brought up the calories, but brought down the net carbs!! I tend to want huge servings of food -- not always a great thing. I just struggle with food portion still - nowhere near how I did once upon a time, but it is always there lurking ...

I have neglected my regular vegetarian cookbooks in the last seven years on lowcarb and leafing through to find a recipe to convert, I realized a lot of the soup recipes are already lowcarb recipes, so I am hoping to try a few more of them! Unfortunately quite a few that interest me have mustard or sesame in the ingredients -- which I have to avoid due to dd's allergies -- and I have learned over the years that if you try to make one of these recipes without that ingredient, there always feels like something is missing, so I try to stick to ones that were not formulated originally with those spices ... perhaps I will be trying some others soon!

If you are reading this and eat vegetarian, The Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Mollie Katzen is the cookbook I am talking about -- I do have two other cookbooks by her, but have not opened them lately either! It may be time ... I love a good vegetable casserole and I am sure there are some non-grainy ones in those cookbooks.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #1027
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That soup looks delish! I copied it out. Thanks!!!
Aside from food blogs, I enjoy a good cookbook and took a look online at the one you posted here. Sigh....yet another book to get!:blush: Did you know there was a new one out? It's called The "New" Enchanted Broccoli Forest. I am a big broc eater. I have a bowl of it for dinner every night. Yep, that's my dinner and it has been since the dawn of time...I'm old. Friends just don't understand how I can eat it every day but I don't see the problem.
As for the soup date. Ya know I just might take you up on that since I have rellies back your way and a visit is just about due on my part. See you then!
Hope you're keeping well.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #1028

Wow that would be cool!!! Yeah I do love that cookbook Mavis -- it is regular vegetarian high carb though, but I may try some of the easily-convertible ones. I am trying a crockpot recipe tomorrow from a friend that uses spaghetti squash. If it is any good, I'll be posting it on that new recipe thread I put up on the Recipe Board.

Thanks for posting, you cheered up my day - I am having a crummy day!!!!

March 2, 2010

Well, I was getting all kinds of pm's so I posted a new "How To Do Lowcarb Vegetarian" here:

Vegetarian Lowcarb -- another round!

It's kinda nice as none of the usual ignorant anti-Veg troll posts have made their way into the thread just yet. I think it is becoming more widely known that one can do Lowcarb from a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle. I am interested in getting my hands on the newest "Atkins" book that has recommendations for just that lifestyle!!!

I also posted a new thread in the recipe room -- only for Vegetarian recipes that have been tried (and liked), and are lowcarb ... so add some if you have some good ones!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...b-recipes.html

My week was going great. Everything is great with regard to lowcarb, exercise, hobbies, commitments, projects, children, husband, and then whammo -- high drama in the extended family. I can't talk too much about it, but I am upset and angry, and feel very very alienated from a certain person in my family. Anyhow, that's as far as I can go on about it here -- and the only person irl that I can talk to about it is dh. I also can't really let it go -- ugh!

Anyhow, feeling good, bought myself a new dress and some new smelly coconut lotion as a reward for being on plan without exception for the last few months ... this was before the family member hit the fan, if you know what I mean ...

AAAGGHHH I can't wait to get into the gym tomorrow ... I may have to shred someone in there!!!

ok .. I feel a little better ..
Old 03-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #1029
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Pauline. I feel for you with extended family problems. Those are always the worst! You can't fix them but if they effect you it is the pits. So sorry you are going through this. Hope today is better. Otherwise I hope you beat something up at the gym. (I said something, not someone. )
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #1030
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pauline
Hi Diane.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #1031

Thanks so much Dianne and Mavis. I did beat something up at the gym this morning, lol! I suppose I just have to try and let other peoples' little insanities not affect me too much even when it feels like it is directed at me <sigh>

March 3, 2010

Yah, still very upset, but mostly things went right today ... I had a really hard driven workout and the cutest young (athletic) guy asked to work in with me on one of the weights machines - it was kinda funny, I could tell he was trying to get my attention at another point too ... oh yeah -- I could easily be his mother

When I am really really upset, I can get a lot done -- so I did get a lot done, lol! and am now on a mission to get the paperwork under control before it takes over my house ... and get the durned taxes done to get to the accountant -- it is essentially done, I just have to chase down some of the various bank forms, etc.

On the not-so-good side, the crockpot recipe disappointed - it wasn't awful, just not great. I tend to only go to the trouble for great recipes.

Oh yeah, I forgot to write that my 9 year old wants to run in the road race dh does next week -- it's a series of three races -- next week's is 4 miles ... sooooo I have to lace up the boots to run with her, lol! She's only ever run a mile at a time and her best time has been just under 10 minutes, so it shouldn't stress the 'ol knee out too much. She wants to try and run more than a mile at a go so I guess if I pace her down to like 12 minutes (if she's willing to go that slow, it can feel like you're going in slow motion), I think she'd make two miles ... we'll see! She could also, run one walk one run one walk one -- but they pull up the pylons etc pretty quickly, so I may just have her turn back after a mile.

She's not officially registered and we'll just start at the back of the pack -- she's been in the newspaper before at this very race since it is a st patty's day one and she had long red hair back then, lol! She plans to run in a tall green leprechaun hat ... we'd better pray the weather holds out .. lol! lol!!!

Maybe we'll shoot a picture or two and I can update ye avatar .. just what we need another sports pic of me ... seems like it's the only time we take photos, lol!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #1032

Thursday March 4, 2010

USA TODAY interviewed one of the authors of the new Atkins book, Eric Westman, director of the Duke Lifestyle Medicine Clinic in Durham, N.C. Digesting the facts on the 'New Atkins' low-carb diet - USATODAY.com

A few of the changes I have heard about in the new book New Atkins for a New You really do peak my interest, and I think they are not necessarily huge changes from DANDR 2002, but interpretation (although I haven't read it yet, so don't shoot me - this is based on the reviews and interviews) .... Jimmy Moore of LaVida Lowcarb blog pre-reviewed the book (you can see it on Amazon) and mentioned that of the various lifestyle options they review that vegetarian and vegan are on the list! That alone is a far cry from Dr. A's books which nearly discourage anyone from trying to do vegetarian Atkins ... <ahhhh the indignities the poor lowcarb vegetarian has had to suffer>

Also the 5 servings of vegetables is interesting considering all the people who are trying to do zero carbs, or the famous meat and egg fasts -- there always seems to be an anti-vegetable Atkins craze at any one moment in time .. and I think that a book like this might help contest the popular notion that Atkins is a bacon, eggs and steak fest for every single person who does it ... when -- it can be, but in reality people do it in very different ways!! and if they are not eating vegetables at all, they are not doing straight Atkins.

I think the menu looks appealing and maybe a book like this will make the whole lowcarb thing more appealing to people who are afraid of the "extremist" reputation Atkins has gotten!!!!!!! I'm an optimist

and I just put my name on the waiting list for it at the library .. yay, I am only number 5 on the list!!! The consortium doesn't have Cereal Killer yet anywhere, but when they get it, I'll put it on the list too

Speaking of library books, I started reading: Does This Make Me Look Fat by Leah Feldon that was discussed in this thread Look Your Best NOW. At first I was thinking, gosh I could have used this book 100 pounds ago, but as I got further into it, realized it applies to everyone! Great tips for body type - me, shortwaisted, long legs - and how to figure out what length skirts you should wear .. what not to wear for certain body flaws ... and I'm only a bit into the book -- I think this may be one I buy.

Even more important, the author is very funny ... I place a high value on humor in non-fiction books!!!

Old 03-05-2010, 06:17 AM   #1033

Friday March 5, 2010

Getting ready for the gym .....

I Believe I Can Fly by R Kelly

I used to think that I could not go on
And life was nothing but an awful song
But now I know the meaning of true love
I'm leaning on the everlasting arms

If I can see it, then I can do it
If I just believe it, there's nothing to it

I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar
I see me running through that open door
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly

See I was on the verge of breaking down
Sometimes silence can seem so loud
There are miracles in life I must achieve
But first I know it starts inside of me, oh

If I can see it, then I can do it
If I just believe it, there's nothing to it

I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar
I see me running through that open door
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly

Hey, cause I believe in me .......
Old 03-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #1034

Sunday March 7, 2010

I ran a little race today to pace my 9 year old who decided she wanted to run it. She did well despite whining the entire way ... all 4 miles. Even two lollipops did not help! lol! And this kid is NOT a whiner! I felt like a drill sargeant!!! She pepped up for the camera everytime we came into contact with one ... and even beat out 9 people (in this race of hundreds, lol!! lol!!). Anyhow, she had a distance personal best, running a mile and a half before totally having to walk for a few miles.

<--- There we are in the avatar in a most unattractive portion of the race route .. What an amazingly beautiful day for March!! dh ran this one the last few years and last year his pictures were in the snow .. it was a veritable blizzard .. My older dd could not run this morning unfortunately ... maybe next time ... but there was no way she'd have put up with all that whining, lol!!!!!

Needless to say I felt like I walked the course, lol! and not a bother on my knee, so that was awesome! I'd have loved to wear shorts but I had on a scary pair of eighties compression tights to help the knee and then the yoga pants with zippered pockets to hold two pairs of gloves, lollipops, cellphone, billfold ... I was like a pack mule. Thank goodness I did not have to actually exert myself! lol!
Old 03-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #1035
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GardenGirl639
Stats: 229/restart 201/193/145 5'3 3/4"
What a fun picture of you and your daughter! I can't wait until the snow is melted and the kids and I can do more outside. I was just thinking about how much "hiking" I'd like to do with them this summer. We have great parks with nature trails around here.

Still too much snow on the ground for any bulbs to be up yet, but I did see that my ***** willow has some buds on it!!!!!!!!!!
GardenGirl639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:00 AM   #1036
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Paulilne, I love the new avatar! Glad the race wasn't hard on your knee.

We had gorgeous weather Saturday and were fortunate to be at our beach place. It was nice and not even windy on the beach. So often it is too windy for my taste. So it was nice to enjoy some sunshine.
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #1037

Thanks Ladies!!! Spring is in the air!!!!!!!!!!!! The deer and bunny rabbits have all been out peering at us recently and the birds were going nutty today with the high-ish temperatures. Very exciting!!! lol!! I guess the lowcarb creatures are coming out of their winter shelters too, lol!!!

March 8, 2010

Today was a good day. I feel a little better about the extended family situation - still a pain in the butt, but I guess at least it is not me being the pain in the butt, lol!!! I just bought a few new tunes for the gym ...

Pussycat Dolls - Buttons
Kanye West - Love Lockdown
Kanye West - Stronger
Mia - Paper Planes

My playlists were starting to bore me! I need to get some Lady GaGa on there too ... I have a "girl power" playlist I like to listen to, lol! I can live vicariously through Fergie, PCD and Lady Gaga -- that is, with headphones on so I don't embarrass the kiddos .. or myself ...

Old 03-10-2010, 06:29 AM   #1038
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ga Ga makes me wanna dance! So does Bhaṅgṛā music. My MP3 player is loaded up with both and I breeze through my workouts listening to them.
Pauline, love the pic of you and your daughter and yes, yes, spring is in the air!
Old 03-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #1039

Hey Mavis thanks for the note about Bhangra! lol! I just searched it on youtube and I like it!! Is it from India? I used to watch Indian Bollywood movies on Friday nights on Egyptian tv, lol!!! I didn't understand a single word, but I loved those movies!!!!! lol! lol!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #1040

Gallery: debbiedo
Stats: pretty close to perfect!
WOE: mindful eating/running off the pounds
Start Date: over and over again
Love the new Avi Pauline.

4 miles is a long way for a kid to run. They tend to go too fast and get tired out.
debbiedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #1041

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiedo View Post
Love the new Avi Pauline.

4 miles is a long way for a kid to run. They tend to go too fast and get tired out.
Thanks Deb! Yah 4 miles is definitely a long trek! That is why I was pacing her. She has run a mile in under 10 minutes at the track with me on the sidelines timing her -- she was practicing for the Presidential Test at school (her idea, not mine, lol!), so we tried for a jog at 12 minute/mile - and she managed a whiny 1.5 miles til we brought it down to a walk, lol! She finished in 1:02, ninth person from the end, lol as she really did sprint to the finishline (as I dropped back) to a cheering crowd! LOL! It was awesome!!

March 10, 2010

OK I am posting a warning before this next journal post ... do not read on if you are an anti-vegetarian activist ... This morning on Ellen (which I watched while on the elliptical at the gym), was a segment on veganism, specifically a book called Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer.

I was very fascinated by it and have ordered the book from the library. Here is a piece on it from The Huffington Post: Aaron Gross: Jonathan Safran Foer's Controversial New Book, Eating Animals

In any case, the whole agribusiness thing has always been disturbing to me - specifically the dairy products I continue to use and the way cows and chickens are treated. One thing that struck me in the show was where they said, that even eating one vegan meal, or doing one vegan day a week was helpful ... and it struck me that this jives with my own philosophy, which is: I am not perfect, but I do what *I* can do as far as vegetarianism and other things in my life too ... and I always strive to do more when I can. I recently stopped buying cheap eggs to buy humane certified, etc etc.

Anyhow, the purpose of this entry is not to discuss the book or big business - although that may come up later as I read the book - but rather to say that I am considering eating one day a week as a lowcarb vegan. In my typical fashion it may take some time for me to implement it -- I am one who gives things a lot of thought before I act for change in my life --

I do rely heavily on dairy and eggs - today's menu for example:

Breakfast
protein bar (certainly not vegan!)
coffee with milk

Lunch
avocado and cheese on pita
brussel sprouts
dessert: yogurt with pb powder
coffee with milk

Afternoon Snack
yogurt with pb powder and herbal tea
sf cocoa with milk

Dinner
2 fried eggs and cheese with salsa
sauteed cabbage
dessert: soynut butter almond drop and herbal tea

Evening snack
sf cocoa with milk

So, the milk can easily become almond milk or soy milk.

Dinner can easily become a tofu stirfry.

avocado cheese sandwich can become avocado with something else -- like maybe salad dressing.

Breakfast protein bar and yogurt snacks would have to change. I was thinking of maybe making the minute flax muffin with coconut oil instead of butter, and maybe vegan egg replacer ... I could also simply eat nuts which I love and are a wonderful vegan protein ...

Any ideas?! post 'em for me!

Pauline
Old 03-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #1042

March 10, 2010 continued

OKeeeeey well the egg replacement by ENER-G is made of potato and tapioca starch lol! So not a lowcarb option really -- although it is 4 net carbs per serving. I found some other interesting vegan egg substitutions for baking but it would take someone to experiment with them! I may actually do it on the one minute flax muffin ... this could be fun ... one thing to try is using sf soda! another thing to try is using some silken tofu ...

The tofu would be a no-brainer in anything that has the consistency of a brownie .. and maybe that's what I'd make ... a flax brownie or an almond flour brownie ....
Old 03-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #1043
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Hey Mavis thanks for the note about Bhangra! lol! I just searched it on youtube and I like it!! Is it from India? I used to watch Indian Bollywood movies on Friday nights on Egyptian tv, lol!!! I didn't understand a single word, but I loved those movies!!!!! lol! lol!!!
From what I have been told, Bhaṅgṛā originated in Pakistan's rural communities but over the years has morphed in to the sound it is today. I like to think of it as Pak-Rap! A friend of mine who is from Multan studied dance as a child, (when she was living there) and makes me jealous when I see her 'move to the groove'. She in turn laughs at me. :blush: As for Bollywodd films....I love them. The always make me want to dance and smile! Not to mention their fashion statements are to die for. Well, actually some of them are. I have a thing for flowing silks.

I'm following your experiment for egg subs. I think we have similar diets and I too have been trying to get away from using dairy products so much as well as eggs.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #1044

Very cool! I was thinking some of them were in muslim dress ... Pakistan! It makes perfect sense!

I have found a bunch of stuff about egg replacement in recipes and will need to do some experimentation! One thing, which I did know is that tofu can be used for quiche-like recipes and I actually have a wonderful tofu quiche recipe that uses a regular crust -- I used to just love it! I'd say a nut crust would be good for it - Once I try to make it, I can report on it. Firm tofu is also apparently good in fake egg salad .. although this is just not something I would make, lol!!!! They even suggest coloring it by adding turmeric to the recipe to make it appear like eggs -- funny!!!

The issue seems more about baked goods and leavening ... and that is where experimentation really would be needed ...

March 11, 2010

I had a good day today. The family issue has been resolved although I still feel weird about it. In a way I guess I am proud of myself and what I did do sacrificing my own peace of mind to make sure others were not hurt, or hurt further. In time, I would have had to say something but it did not come to that, possibly because of the way I handled my end of things. Sometimes I surprise myself -- when did I become an adult?

I realized today that dh and I met 20 years ago this week ... frightening! Our first date was at the St. Patrick's Day parade in Boston .. we were inseparable ever since ..

So back to today, I made a trip to Whole Foods where I was promptly horrified by their prices -- as usual. $15 for a jar of nut butter, $10 for a jar of coconut oil, $13 for a small packet of Xanthan Gum ... the only deal was the carton of unsweetened hemp milk for $1.69 ... whoopidoo!!! Needless to say I did not buy the nut butter. I will stick with the expensive $5 soynut butter I get at the market for now!

So in the quest for new and interesting vegan foods, I decided to buy hemp milk (made from the hemp seed) instead of soy or almond -- both of which are also lowcarb. I like the taste, it is kind of like pumpkin seeds, but I do not recommend this to anyone who does not eat vegetarian, vegan, or natural-type foods. I think it has a very grassy flavor that is probably an acquired taste -- kinda reminds me a little of flax seed too.

Anyhow, it is 60 calories, 1 carb per 8 oz glass. What I thought was really cool is that it is also 6 gm of fat! It is really really too bad that it does not taste good in coffee, lol lol!! I did have some in my sf hot cocoa today and it was fine .. but this whole thing has me thinking that I do waste about 13 net carbs on milk a day, because the higher fat milk, or cream has more calories too, so I am thinking I may actually start using one of these lowcarb substitutes regularly if I find one I actually like.

I also picked a package of prepared Wheat Seitan to use in a dinner for my first "Vegan day" ... I already do eat soy and I really do want to do this with varied vegan proteins as I would if I chose to eat as a lc vegan ... I have to admit I am having fun working this out ... it is possible that it is a form of procrastination ... I have 14 costumes to make for a show and I have to work on my taxes ... but here I am fantasizing over stirfries and flax muffins ...

Last edited by TaDa!; 03-11-2010 at 06:08 PM..
Old 03-14-2010, 05:04 PM   #1045

Sunday March 19, 2010

I'm doing well! Had quite a day today. I finally made the kids clean up much of their junk from around the house and really got a lot of things done! Finished all 13 of the costumes for my little dd's show -- it was less work than anticipated!! Love that!!!

There's really not too much exciting happening -- except dd's St. Patrick's Day birthday -- She has an important morning presentation that day, so the day before I am planning on taking both kids to breakfast at a local Irish pub/restaurant. The older one will miss about half an hour of school ... it's a surprise ... I may put candles in her pancakes and sing Happy birthday just to humiliate her .. heh heh heh ... This could be the beginning of a nice new tradition, lol!!
Old 03-15-2010, 03:55 AM   #1046

Monday March 15, 2010 Morning

I just realized I put in the wrong date in yesterday's entry ... So, I am lying in bed last night, suddenly ravenously hungry. And I started to think about the cheddar cheese in the fridge and what I would do with it when I binge .. I lay there a long time thinking I could have a cup of tea ... or start up with the cheese ... on and on and on. I finally realized I was having PMS cravings - because I did not do any exercise yesterday - sunday - and I ate at the normal levels. The night before I ate out but it was even lower carb than I'd have eaten in, so that was not the culprit.

Long story short, I finally fell asleep, did not eat anything extra, did not wake up starving, and here I am up two pounds on the scale ... Funny in the TOPS weigh-in book, they mark a weight gain in red ... looks like I'll be in red every few weeks ...

Now, to just keep telling myself "it's the pms" everytime I try to do something out of the ordinary for the next week or so .... and to use that cheddar cheese up pronto! I think I'll make the kids quesadillas tonight ..

Last edited by TaDa!; 03-15-2010 at 03:57 AM..
Old 03-16-2010, 04:00 AM   #1047

Tuesday March 16, 2010

So I am in here just to make sure I keep a hold of a thread, "Calories In vs. Calories Out," here:

calories in vs calories out

In particular the posts made by Looweewoo and Minnas - such nice explanations / summaries of things I have read before!

As long as I am here, I will journal some. So that weight spike - accompanied by binge urge - of yesterday totally went back down today .. just goes to show when I do not "follow my hunger" because I know it is not physically necessary, I end up in a better place. Even if I can get to "Intuitive Eating" at some point in my journey, it will not be 100% unless I am willing to consider binge urges - whether emotion-driven or hormone-driven - to be acceptable as "intuition" ...

On a lighter note, MA is in a state of emergency due to flooding and school was just canceled as there are many roads flooded out in my town ... so I wake up this morning ready to take the kids to a surprise Irish pub breakfast in honor of dd's birthday to find a mouse on the windowsill in our dining area .. eeeeeek! It was the cutest cleanest looking little field mouse! We haven't had one in years!!! Must be the flooding! I ended up poking in his direction with a candle snuffer and after trying to play with it, he obliged and shuffled off in the direction I was sending him and out the window I opened.

How come these things only happen when dh is away??!!!! lol!!!!!

p.s. no little mouse droppings anywhere though - Does anyone know what that means??!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #1048
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GardenGirl639
Stats: 229/restart 201/193/145 5'3 3/4"
Pauline,

Have you considered using unsweetened applesauce as an egg replacer? Just a thought.

Sorry about the flooding and interrupted birthday breakfast. Sounds like St. Patrick's Day is a very important day in your family. My dh asked me to marry him 23 years ago on St. Patrick's Day.

Glad you were able to get the little mouse to escape through the window. Candle snuffer-multi-purpose tool--who knew? LOL

I can see the bulbs that I planted last year pushing up through the soil.
GardenGirl639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:12 PM   #1049

ooh!!! bulbs!!! Now I need to run outside as the sun is shining down and, of course, we've had a loooooooot of rain! lol! <be right back>

yep yep!!!! Thanks for the reminder!!!! Daffs are coming up and even the daylily fans!!!! yippeeee!!!!!!!!!

Applesauce is a good egg substitute, but I will be trying to do Atkins vegan - lower rung of OWL - just for the heck of it as I am sick of people saying it can't be done, lol!!!!!! I'm not sure when I'll get 'round to it, but I will eventually!!! lol!!!

Funny! Best thing about the mouse is that the kids were not up yet - *THAT* would have been pandemonium
Old 03-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #1050

Wednesday March 17, 2010

My eldest's birthday!!!!! My kids are getting so big - It's starting to scare me. My oldest starts high school in September and is picking her courses this week ..... I have a little sore throat and one ear is bothering me - so possibly allergies starting up. I am also just exhausted today. The kids are watching a movie together which is nice, so I think I am going to try and take a nap before their movie is over.

I keep thinking of food and I am not hungry which is a sure sign something else is going on ... and it is very obvious that I am annoyed that I am getting a cold or something - and also that I am so exhausted I could go right to sleep, lol! so off I go .... I laugh at my thoughts of food a lot of the time .. but it is really funny how it is STILL my psychological "Go-To" even after all this time!

Yay me! Good Girl!

<yawn>