Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #991
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: msmoon
If I got of the elliptical and start walking, I could be there in time for a nice summer day walk!

I found another good blog. I think I am becoming addicted to good food blogs!
MELOMEALS: $3.33 A DAY :blush:
msmoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2010, 05:12 AM   #992
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Wow! Another good one Mavis!! Thanks!!!!

Saturday February 13, 2010

OK, I'm off for the weekend shortly and well have a few unpredictable meals ahead of me. I am bringing what I can and will just try to do my best without depriving myself -- there is always that fine balance, and it really is so much more difficult when you don't eat meat. I have somewhat of a plan - and I usually do fine on vacations. The buildup in my mind is always 10x more dire than reality. What's up with that??!! lol!!!!

I think part of it, is that the kids are out of school next week, so my schedule will be out of whack. I put the little one in a program so my older dd and I will be able to go to the gym - but I really don't want her overdoing it on the exercise! She keeps asking me about calories and was convinced her leg muscles were atrophying when I would not let her workout for 2 weeks recently because she had a mild concussion.

So, I have to be a good role model and not appear too gym-crazy next week <sigh> So, I am hoping to get one workout in this weekend somehwere - but dh and I always fight over who gets to go to the gym and who watches the kids .. ok, we've become crazy!

So hopefully one workout this weekend, and maybe 3 workouts during the week - that will be shorter than usual. I do want to get in weights too which takes too long, so maybe I'll just do a single set on all my usual machines - maybe a teensy bit heavier than usual ...

I am a real creature of habit and hate to be out of my routine ... <bleh>

p.s. I made the Gruyere frittata - it was ok, but not as cheesy as Linda Sue's, and didn't get the same rave reviews. I'll post it anyhow -- sometime next week probably. I'm not sure how much I'll be around this weekend - it'll depend on the wireless connection.
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #993

Saturday February 13, 2010 continued

Well, off for the weekend! Should be great! I am very grateful for the pm's and the kind words in posts about me ... pm's returned.

Pauline
Old 02-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #994
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
Hey doll!

Just wanted to drop in and say enjoy the vaca!

I am making chili tonight and adding in a half cup of garbonzos. I WANT to make my old veggie butternut squash chili but I am sure that would be too much of a carb freakout too soon.

Have a great time,
Cary~
daisyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #995

Hey Daisy!!! Well, you probably know I advocate going up the ladder in order .. I think the reason that Dr. A did that way is that he put them in order of 1) things that people are most likely to tolerate, and 2) that the carb amounts of a portion go up increasingly .. I found I had a problem with some beans! In other words, if I ate them daily, I would stall .. certain ones gave me cravings - like peanuts which are a legume.

I can certainly understand the desire to do your own thing, and to add in the things you most love, but if it does not work out, you may find it best to go the Atkins route (see the ladder below).

One thing though that I did - can't remember exactly what Dr. A says about it (I'm not at home with access to my books, lol) - was to do add-ins one at a time during a two week period (the 2 week period was my own idea). So the first week I would add in a new food only 3x, and then the second week I would do it as a daily add in (If that was a food I might eat daily).

I recommend being careful with the legumes (and higher ladder levels) in this way ... just some thoughts!!!

Carb Ladder

1. more salad and other vegetables on accceptable food list.

2. fresh cheeses ( as well as more aged cheese)

3. seeds and nuts

4. Berries

5. Wine and other spirits low in carbs

6. legumes

7. fruits other than berries and melons

8. starchy vegetables

9. whole grains

February 14, 2010

I am having a really great weekend - great Valentines Day - and have stolen a few minutes on someone else's computer - to log my food in, etc. I did an amazing job at the meals we ate out this weekend!! Especially at the shmancy buffet this morning - complete with ice sculptures, etc etc. My calories are on target and my carb counts for the two days was well below my usual carb counts too, lol! Yesterday was 59 net carbs and today will be 66. I guess that is how I gravitate when eating out.

Looks like a great start to the kids vacation week!! Woot!
Old 02-15-2010, 05:10 AM   #996

February 15, 2010

What keeps staring at me from my parents' fridge everytime I open it? A large can of "organic" spray (??!!!) pancake batter What genius came up with this one??!!!!! And then there's the banana nut bread on the counter ... it obviously belongs to my father who is allergic to both bananas and nuts. When he wakes up I am going to ask him whether he intends to have a serving of shrimp on top of it (highly allergic to shrimp). I just realized that he had clams the other night when we were out - another new found allergy. OMG! Shoot me now!!!!

Last night he had me read like 20 pages of a doctor's report on his vitamin levels and allergies, and spent $350 on a 2-month supply of various supplements and things he needs to take for gastric problems he has been having (that are not covered by medicare). He is successfully cutting out a big problem food for him (dairy) and that is a huge success because he is a very tough person to try and convince vis a vis foods, so I have to take comfort in small blessings, but my god, he is just maddening!!!!!! lol!!!!!

organic spray pancake batter.

oy!

Last edited by TaDa!; 02-15-2010 at 05:11 AM..
Old 02-16-2010, 01:52 AM   #997
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
organic spray pancake batter - Yikes! I have never heard of such a thing.

I hope you have a good vacation and that things don't call your name too loudly.
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:07 AM   #998

Thanks Dianne! lol!! All went well ... there wasn't a thing calling my name .. certainly not organic pancake spray

February 17, 2010

So I have had a good week so far. I got in a 6 mile run on Monday, but hurt my knee and my quads are sore from the run, lol! And yesterday I got in some good aerobic snow shoveling. I am planning on getting to the gym this morning. I'll adjust my level on the elliptical so I am not stressing out the knee and quads.

Our TOPS meeting got cancelled due to the storm. So, next week they are starting some new thing/contest and you are supposed to bring in a full week's menu ... OMG I can just imagine what is going to happen .. me at like 1800 calories and a gazillion fat grams ... cheese, avocado, butter, oil. I guess I will now see how things are going to fly with me and this group!!!!! lol!! lol!!!! I am very curious as to what they are planning to do with the menus!!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #999
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Joycelyn
Pauline, I just thought I'd mention there's a new Atkins book coming out in March, and according to the synopsis on the Atkins website, there will be chapters focusing on how to do Atkins as a vegetarian. I know you're a veggie and thought you might be interested in this new book. Finally, vegetarians are getting their "due" in Atkins! I think it's terrific and thought I'd share with you. As a vegetarian you don't start with "induction" in the new book, but you probably know that anyway. Take care Pauline!
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #1000

Thanks so much Joycelyn! I actually just found out about that and I am planning on getting a hold of the book! It should be very interesting to see what the authors have to say!!!

Thanks!!!

Pauline
Old 02-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #1001
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Our TOPS meeting got cancelled due to the storm. So, next week they are starting some new thing/contest and you are supposed to bring in a full week's menu ... OMG I can just imagine what is going to happen .. me at like 1800 calories and a gazillion fat grams ... cheese, avocado, butter, oil. I guess I will now see how things are going to fly with me and this group!!!!! lol!! lol!!!! I am very curious as to what they are planning to do with the menus!!
I know what you mean! LOL! You will probably find that a lot of people don't bring in their week's food charts. That is what happens at our chapter. So you can do what you think best. I would either not put amounts, just type of food or skip it. JMHO! I definitely eat high fat and I don't think most know that. I think they think I am higher protein, which I am not. One lady does watch her carbs but does high protein. She has lost over 100 lbs. So I guess it works for her. She also eats her "dinner" for breakfast (think pork chops and veggies). She then eats less and less as the day goes on. I do the total opposite.

It this group does not work out for you, I would venture there are others near by. I live out in the country but within 10 miles of my house there 8+ groups.

Hope you are relaxing!

I AM NOW LESS THAN HALF OF MY FORMER SELF!!

Dianne

A proud TOPS member - became a KOPS on 4/24/08!

Join us over at the lowcarb TOPS thread. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-part-2-a.html
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:36 AM   #1002

Thanks Dianne! I am very very curious to know what they will do with the menus ... if they are open to all plans, then I guess they will not be critiquing them? I think I will bring mine and just hold onto it until I see what the plan is - what they'll be doing with them - ha! I know what I do is perfect and works right now ... extremely slow weightloss ... so, this may sound snotty, but I don't need their input, just their support and the weekly weigh-ins at this point (of course, I would never ever say that to any of them, lol!!!!) ... we shall see what happens!

February 20, 2010

It has been an insane week! Kids Winter vacation which began with a hotel, then my parents, then carting kids around day and night! So, silly me, I go for a 6 mile run on Sunday morning at my folks house and get injured! I was on a forest trail and dh says the surface was the problem .. so anyhow, my leg muscles start to kill me and then my left knee and so I have been taking painkillers all week -- and, ok this is funny, realized that doing the elliptical was making it worse, and I couldn't even do the bike, so I sussed out the hand/arm cycle thing at the gym and did a 40 minute workout on it, and then an upper body lifting workout. Amazingly, my arms are not sore after that workout.

After injuring myself and taking painkillers, my weight was up 5 pounds overnight - I can also feel my usual pms soreness in the chest, so I think I am retaining water like crazy! My weight then went down a pound and a half from that high after going off the painkillers. The weight thing doesn't bother me too terribly much -- I know it is water, but I just hope I can exercise this week!

I want to try the pool, but there is a group of women at my gym whom I know socially and well, swimming is their thing .. and me, well I do breast stroke or side stroke and amble along happily and really do not want them sizing me up - I am no swimmer and I do not want to be sneered at for taking up valuable pool space with my lame gimpy exercise! lol!!!!

So I think Monday I'll do the arm/hand cycle and upper body weights again, then on Wednesday, I'll head to another gym I'm allowed to use and swim in their pool. Then rinse and repeat for Thursday and Friday if the swimming works out and does not hurt my knee ...

blah.

Last edited by TaDa!; 02-20-2010 at 04:38 AM..
Old 02-20-2010, 05:12 AM   #1003

OK ... I was just hanging out on the recipe board and want to mark some recipes I think I will try -- with tweaks, such as no meat, lol, no nut crust in the quiche so the whole family can have it, and possibly some other tweaks to bring down calorie counts per serving. These all feature dairy as the protein. I need to get on the veg boards and find some that feature other veg proteins:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chicken Lady View Post

Egg Plant Parmesan

I use small homegrown eggplants…sliced thin and sautéed in a little butter to cook most of the moisture out.

Make a low carb spaghetti sauce using ground beef and use the eggplant as you would noodles if making a Lasagna.

Spoon a thin layer of the spaghetti sauce into a casserole dish to keep the eggplant from sticking to the pan…top with a layer of eggplant and more sauce…top the sauce with a mixture of small curd cottage cheese and beaten egg… top that with a generous portion of Parmesan cheese… top that with a layer of Mozzarella cheese…repeat until the pan is full and finish with a layer of Mozzarella cheese.

Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes…remove cover and bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is just starting to brown a little. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes and slice and serve with a tossed green salad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Since my zucchini is producing so well and fast, I'm on the lookout for new ways to fix it! This is a recipe my Mom had which I adjusted to make it low-carb. I haven't run it through any software for carb counts so if any kind soul wishes to do so and post it I'd be forever grateful!

Zucchini Pepperjack Casserole

1 pound zucchini, cubed in 1/4" pieces
2 strips cooked bacon, cut into small pieces
8 oz. grated pepperjack
2 green onions, sliced, white & green
1 small can (3 or 4 oz.) diced mild chiles (Ortega)
1 tsp. crushed dried oregano
2 tablespoons Carbquik
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. ground ancho or other mild chile pepper

Toss all these ingredients together in an 8" round casserole.

Mix together:

1/4 cup half & half
2 eggs
1/8 tsp. Tabasco

Pour over ingredients in casserole, stir well, then sprinkle top evenly with the following, mixed together:

1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup crushed pork rinds (or almond meal)
2 tablespoons melted butter

Bake at 350* about 45 minutes or til just browning and bubbling around the edges. Let cool slightly before serving.

Makes 6 hearty servings or up to 10 side servings

Additional notes - I made this today with my own tweaks which are included in the above recipe already. Next time I might bake it in a 7 x 11 casserole and let cool a bit longer then cut into squares. Probably need to double the topping in that case!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post

SPINACH QUICHE

A delicious recipe given to me by my dear mother-in-law, Kay Eloff, who lives in Cape Town, South Africa. She is one of the most talented people I know. This quiche also makes a great vegetarian entrée, if you leave out the bacon! My husband ordinarily does not like cooked spinach, however, he raved about this.

Crust:
1/2 cup ground almonds (125 mL)
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (75 mL)
2 tbsp soy OR spelt flour (25 mL)
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted (45 mL)
1 egg yolk
Filling:
6 bacon slices
1 whole large leek, cut thin diagonally
1, 10 oz package frozen spinach (300 g)
8 oz light cream cheese, softened (250 g)
1 cup sour cream (250 mL)
5 extra-large eggs, beaten
4 oz feta cheese, crumbled (125 g)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (125 mL)

Crust: In medium bowl, combine ground almonds, grated Parmesan cheese, soy or spelt flour, melted butter and egg yolk. Press into 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven 10 minutes.

Filling: In large skillet, cook bacon until just before it gets crisp. Set aside to drain on paper towels. In bacon fat, cook leeks over medium heat until soft. Squeeze liquid out of spinach and add to leeks along with bacon. In food processor or in bowl with electric mixer, process cream cheese. Add sour cream; process. Add eggs one at a time, while processing, until smooth. Stir in feta cheese and half Parmesan cheese. Pour mixture over vegetables and bacon; stir to combine well. Pour over prepared crust.

Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven 50 minutes, or until set. Allow to stand 10 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese over top.

Variation: The original recipe had 2, 10-oz packages of frozen spinach in it, as well as the whites only of 2 leeks. (7.0 g Carbs)

Helpful Hints: This vegetable quiche makes a nice lunch as well, served with a salad and fresh low-carb bread.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #1004
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GardenGirl639
Stats: 229/189/145 5'3 3/4"
Hi, Pauline!

Those recipes sound wonderful!

I hope your leg is feeling better.

Are you stilling singing?

You probably already know this, but Advil/Motrin will make you hold water. I always think it's such a catch 22 for me during TOM.....feeling bloated already so I take Advil for cramps and bloat up more.

Enjoy your weekend,
Elizabeth
GardenGirl639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:38 AM   #1005

Thanks Elizabeth! yah my leg is feeling much better!! I am just amazed at how much water I retain from painkillers!!!! It was naproxen (aleve) in a large dose that I was taking - and from that my weight was up 5 pounds and it took a few days for it to drop off - today! So weird -- and upsetting when it takes a long time to lose a half pound, lol!!! My mind starts to play tricks on me!!!! Anyhow, I am really glad it is gone! lol!!!

Monday February 22, 2010
So the 5 pounds of painkiller weight finally dropped off this morning, but I am still retaining the usual pms water as my chest is still sore and I still am a pound higher than a week ago. I think I am getting peri-menopausal. It's like I am having this water weight every two weeks instead of monthly and I do not like it!!!! lol!!!

On the good side of things, my legs feel perfect, no more muscle pain (quads and achilles)! The knee feels much better too, but I am sure it is not 100%. I am going to try to do the elliptical this morning for at least part of my workout and the arm/hand cycle thing if necessary. Tomorrow is an exercise rest day so I will at least have it to recuperate. Maybe I will not have to brave the pool and the serious swimmers after all! lol!
Old 02-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #1006

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Pauline,

I just now read about your injury to your knee. I injured mine getting out of the car in a parking lot a few weeks back, a funny twist kind of thing, and it's been bothering me off and on ever since. I'm the stubborn type, and I tend to want to ignore it and push through instead of giving myself more recovery time. Also, I didn't know that pain killers and A/I's can cause water retention. That could explain similar issues I'm having as well, the puffy thing? Yep.

I went for a run for the first time yesterday in a while, and the first interval after warming up, I thought I was gonna scream, the shooting pain in my knee. I recovered the following interval, and discovered the pain was lessening. As my muscles/ligaments warmed up, the discomfort was less and less noticeable, so stubborn me, I push right through. Whether that's smart or not, I don't know. I just wanted to run SO BADLY.

Anyhow, just sympathizing with you on the knee thing. And I learned something from you regarding the A/I's. Not sure I ever knew that.

Blessings and healing to you.
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #1007

Oh Twyla I am really sorry to hear about your knee!!!!!! I will not go running for at least a month now. I am pretty sure the muscle pain and the knee thing are related (in my case). The muscle pain is 100% gone, but I get some weird sensation still in the knee - it is not pain, just the feeling that something is out of whack.

The pain reliever thing, and I think the muscle injury must have piled on the water - other than after surgery, I have never had a 5 pound instant scale gain like that! I get anywhere from 1/2 lb - 2 lb water gain with pms, but that's it. Good to know this stuff, eh?!!!!

I was able to go on the elliptical for an hour -- it's the one with arm levers, and I could feel myself taking a lot of the torque/pressure off my knee at times, so it looks like I can do it. Please be careful running -- even with the warmed muscle, you are putting a lot of force directly on your knee when you run ... shooting knee pain -- not a good sign I guess I'm a scaredy cat now .. spending a few years unable to run due to my foot has me being overcautious prolly, lol!
Old 02-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #1008

February 23, 2010

Wow! I just made a fabulous crustless quiche!!! I used a recipe posted by Jennifer Eloff given to her by her Mother in Law, Kay, in South Africa and it rocks. See the original recipe here:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ipes-here.html

My version leaves out the bacon, nut crust, and half the parmesan cheese. Substitutes are plain yogurt for the sour cream, and replacing some of the whole eggs with egg whites because those are standard items in my cupboard, and they help lower the total calorie count per serving so I can serve it with other yummy things.

My nine year old objected when I suggested that my older dd (also vegetarian) have the last two pieces tomorrow night when the others have steak, lol!!! So it looks like I don't get another piece. It was a big hit!!!

Spinach, Leek and Feta Quiche

Ingredients

* 11 oz Leeks (I measured one very large leek!)
* 1 10 oz pkge of Chopped Spinach (frozen)
* 3 Large Eggs
* 3 large Egg Whites
* 1 8 oz pkge Neufchatel 1/3 Less Fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese
* 1 container Plain Lowfat Yogurt (140 cal per cup)
* 4 oz Feta Cheese
* 1/4 cup Parm Cheese
* 4 Pam Cooking Spray

Directions

Start by spraying a cake pan with PAM spray to have ready for the quiche and set the oven to 350°F.

Cook leeks in PAM spray over medium heat until soft. Squeeze liquid out of spinach and add to leeks. In food processor or in bowl with electric mixer, process cream cheese. Add yogurt; process. Add eggs one at a time, while processing, until smooth. Stir in feta cheese and Parmesan cheese. Pour mixture over vegetables; stir to combine well. Now pour the mixture in to your oiled pan.

Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven 50 minutes, or until set. Allow to stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #1009

oops ... nutritional information:

Serving Size: 1/6 pie (i.e. 6 pieces)
Amount per Serving

Calories 251

Total Fat 16.93g

Total Carbohydrate 7.31g
...Dietary Fiber -1.48g
...Yogurt exception -2g

Net Carbohydrate 3.83g

Protein 15g
Old 02-24-2010, 02:39 AM   #1010

Your recipe sounds yummy.

I've never eaten a leek.. :blush:

What's a leek taste like?

Educate me. (Please?)
Old 02-24-2010, 08:36 AM   #1011
Major LCF Poster!

Pauline,

I'm really considering a dietary change. Do you eat legumes? Do you think it would be possible to be a vegan (no dairy/eggs) and follow lower carb principles? I'm thinking lots of veggies, legumes for protein, berries and apples. Possibly oatmeal and brown rice. Staying away from high-glycemic food items--bread, white potatoes, and flour.

I've written more about this in my journal if you'd rather answer there.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by GardenGirl639; 02-24-2010 at 08:59 AM..
Old 02-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #1012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Your recipe sounds yummy.

I've never eaten a leek.. :blush:

What's a leek taste like?

Educate me. (Please?)
A leek looks like a green onion on steroids. It is enormous. You slice it up and then have to cook it to soften it. it tastes like a very mild onion. I pan fried them in PAM spray for the quiche and they tasted so good right out of the pan. I have two very large ones left and I am thinking of making a cauliflower leek cream soup (or some such) that will mimic the high carb "Potato Leek Soup" which is a pretty standard soup and very potatoey.

You inspired me .. I just looked up a recipe in one of my vegetarian cookbooks The Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Mollie Katzen. There is a potato leek soup in there that uses milk instead of cream (good for me to keep calories a bit lower. Looking at it, I think I could quite literally substitute cauliflower for the potatoes and follow the recipe as written and it would be nice and lc for me and the family ... hmmm I may try this on the weekend! If it comes out really well I will post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenGirl639 View Post
I'm really considering a dietary change. Do you eat legumes? Do you think it would be possible to be a vegan (no dairy/eggs) and follow lower carb principles? I'm thinking lots of veggies, legumes for protein, berries and apples. Possibly oatmeal and brown rice. Staying away from high-glycemic food items--bread, white potatoes, and flour.

I've written more about this in my journal if you'd rather answer there.

Thanks for your help.
Hey Elizabeth, I responded in your journal -- I do think you can absolutely do a lower carb vegan plan! I'll also mention that, while I do eat legumes, I only eat them occasionally as I find I get a little water weight bump up and some of them -- chickpeas and peanuts really cause me cravings .. but that said, I am thinking of coming up with a homemade falafel recipe maybe using a mixture of chickpeas and some of that quinoa which was in the link I posted in your journal ...

I have been going a little loopy with the cooking lately - just made my kids some mango smoothies with plain yogurt and a mango ... I think it is the effect the st. john's wort is having. It's like I just want to do stuff -- the exact opposite of how I was feeling in the Fall that led me to try it out. You'll have to excuse me my extra-perkiness lately - I know it is probably really annoying! lol!

February 24, 2010

Okeeeeeeeey ... so here's the deal. I "turtled" at TOPS yesterday which means I am the same weight I was 2 weeks ago, lol!!!! This is actually a good thing. I lost the 5 lbs of water from the painkiller and the injuries, and I can still feel that I have pms water in my body, so that the scale will show a loss as soon as it goes ... and I am back to regular gym activities (except for lower body weights which I will leave off until next week so I do not re-injure) -

So having thought this through meticulously, in the insane manner in which I do these things, I have decided I will just stick to what I have been doing and will not weigh myself until Monday morning .. because what does it matter what I weigh between now and then? Nothing!

I'm thinking joining TOPs may have been a mistake as now I worry about my weekly weigh-ins ... I really am nuts! I felt thin today - that should be the only thing that matters!
Old 02-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #1013
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Have to jump in and say that a leek is a Welsh onion in our home....I am a Welshie/Canuck! One of my favourite soup consists of leek, puréed califlower and milk with spices (of your choice) to taste. I like a bit of cumin, basil, fresh ground pepper and garlic with a pinch, (a small pinch) of salt. It is delish! Sometimes I sprinkle a bit of old (sharp white cheddar) on top...just a little to taste. Here are leeks Watch Me Shrink.
Oh and Pauline I make humus to die for....literally because of the garlic! I don't crave it and I think that's because I make it with soooo much garlic...it's been called "Devils Breath" by my friends. I think I posted a pic of it a while back on here. The secret really is the garlic. Yep, you're going to stink....but you'll be healthy and you won't crave it to the point of distraction either because of the said garlic!
Sigh, its a minefield out there when it comes to what to do and what not to do when it comes to our health and weight. I don't have any answer for you on this but instead I can honestly say, I'm nuts too!
I finally gave up on the scales a while back and instead made some promises to myself that I can't break unless I am feeling crumby. I am happier and healthier for it and the weight is slowly coming off (still) and my body is looking fine...okay, maybe not fine but its looking a whole lot better than it was before I started this journey.....I'm down 54 pounds which for the first time in years has me saying that my goal is obtainable! You and my old thread friends have really helped me on my journey...thanks!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #1014

Thanks, Peeps, for the Leek Lessons.

I love it:

"Leeks are onions on steroids."

Old 02-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #1015

LOL Mavis! The recipe for potato leek soup that I am going to convert to cauli leek is very similiar! It does have one carrot and one stalk of celery in it as well. No cheddar on hand, would it still taste good? I guess if it is not yummy enough I can throw in some cream cheese -- I know that is really good in my mashed cauli.

I make homemade hummus with TONS of garlic and lemon juice ... actually I have to make it - can't buy it - as my eldest is allergic to sesame (the tahini) and funny enough I never really liked tahini myself - My claim to fame, is that I make "chunky" hummus, a la chunky peanut butter. I just really like the texture - makes it more substantial. it came about years ago when the blender would not comply, as most great recipes seem to do, lol!! Happy accident!

54 lbs is just wonderful!!!!! I lift that when I buy bags of salt for the winter and that is a big burden to free from your body!!!! So wonderful!!!!!!

And Twyla ... seriously, if you see Leeks at the supermarket, that will be your first thought -- they look like some super-vegetable grown in outer space on some remote space farming operation run by a race of alien crustaceans or something .. (not to hurt your Welsh pride in the mighty Leek, Mavis, but you must admit ....)
Old 02-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #1016
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the input, Pauline.

Today is day one of my experiment.

I made hummus for supper! YUMMY!
Old 02-26-2010, 02:23 AM   #1017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
LOL Mavis
And Twyla ... seriously, if you see Leeks at the supermarket, that will be your first thought -- they look like some super-vegetable grown in outer space on some remote space farming operation run by a race of alien crustaceans or something .. (not to hurt your Welsh pride in the mighty Leek, Mavis, but you must admit ....)
Okay...back to cluttering your journal with mindless chatter.....BUT..... must tell you that that whole over-sized, outer-space-looking, gigantic thing? Yikes. I have a past with that! When I was a little girl, and would have nightmares, they often would involve larger-than-life, over-sized "things," taunting me, scaring me, surrounding me, things that in everyday life would seem normal and insignificant (flowers, caterpillars, etc.,) but in those nightmares they were colossal and would surround me and torture me. Some even had scary voices! VERY FRIGHTENING NIGHTMARES! I'm trying to remember if I saw any leeks.....????

I'm sure I'll think of that analogy whenever I purchase my first leek at the grocery store.

Last edited by WATCH-ME-SHRINK; 02-26-2010 at 02:24 AM..
Old 02-26-2010, 06:38 AM   #1018
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gee Pauline, I never thought of Leeks as "alien" but you're right!
Thanks for the congrats...I should say, I still have a thing for the scales but don't jump on them all the time like I use to. It was driving me mad I tell you!
I remember you saying your daughter had an allergy to sesame seeds and yes, I love my humus chunky too!

Twyla,..I couldn't resist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stevebell-copy.jpg (43.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATCH-ME-SHRINK View Post
Okay...back to cluttering your journal with mindless chatter.....BUT..... must tell you that that whole over-sized, outer-space-looking, gigantic thing? Yikes. I have a past with that! When I was a little girl, and would have nightmares, they often would involve larger-than-life, over-sized "things," taunting me, scaring me, surrounding me, things that in everyday life would seem normal and insignificant (flowers, caterpillars, etc.,) but in those nightmares they were colossal and would surround me and torture me. Some even had scary voices! VERY FRIGHTENING NIGHTMARES! I'm trying to remember if I saw any leeks.....????

I'm sure I'll think of that analogy whenever I purchase my first leek at the grocery store.
oh ... so sorry Twyla!! But seriously!!!!!!! The ones I bought the other day were seriously even huger than usual! Gawd we had better get power back so I can make that soup tomorrow <sigh>

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmoon View Post
I remember you saying your daughter had an allergy to sesame seeds and yes, I love my humus chunky too!
Mavis!! Chunky Rules!!!!!!!!!

February 26, 2010

OK ... power's been out since last night. I'm at the library for a few minutes and hope we get it back before dinnertime ... they are not willing to give us an estimate of when, so that's usually not a good sign. 100,000 without power in MA, 300,000 without power in NH.

I had Indian for lunch -- so some beans, and I swear the spinach may have had potato in it. I am not going to stress it, but it is a little bit of a bummer ...

Anyhow, if I'm not around for a bit, I may still be without power ....
Old 02-27-2010, 05:37 AM   #1020

February 27, 2010

So, I'm in the house surrounded by candles with a flashlight lantern suspended from my teeth, almost finished taking everything out of the fridge and freezer packing it in ice and ice chests. Have the camping stove setup on the stove. DH walks in from work and starts to help me finish up. He asks me, "What will you do if the power comes back on right now? I think for a split second and reply, "I'll laugh."

Well, of course, what do you think happened not 5 minutes later? OMG!!!!! What a day!!! Day from hell! The kids school was cancelled due to major power outage 4 of the schools in town did not have electricity, including both of ours. So, I scoop up the kids at 7 in the morning, we call some of their friends, drive around picking everyone up and head to the local bakery for breakfast (just a TALLLLLL cup of coffee for me with my bar). Anyway that's done by 8:30 -- can't go home, too cold there.

So we spend the rest of the day driving from place to place and I spend a couple of hours shopping for costumes for a show my youngest is in -- I offered to make the 7 of the costumes needed. Anyway, hard day.

Everything here is still packed in ice, camp stove etc still cluttering the kitchen. And I get an email this morning saying that the director wants to change the concept and the costume idea so now I will have to return all the crap I bought - half an hour drive from here and a good few hours waste of time.

Erg. OK, heading out to a rehearsal shortly. I have about an hour to get my happy face back on .....