Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #961
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
February 2, 2010

Feeling better! Ha! TOPS weigh-in was up a whole pound, lol! My body is getting so wacky! No biggie - as it's not real - Anyhow, I rewarded myself for another week of virtuous goodness and just downloaded 2 more songs for the gym .... Fergalicious and I'm A Star by Jeremih.

I deserve lots of presents ... just sayin .....

TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2010, 05:50 AM   #962

Gallery: javajive2010
Stats: 202/202/size 12
Start Date: 2/3/10
Pauline, I found your posts over on the main lowcarb lobby and am extremely impressed.

I have started a vegetarian eating plan today. Not Atkins - but moderate carb and lots of good protein.

I have been thinking of joining a weight loss group for quite a while now, and TOPS appeals to me because you can choose your own eating plan I've heard.

Can you tell me what you think of the meetings? I really need some community support.

Thank you Pauline.
javajive2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #963

Hey JJ, My buddy Dianne (NWLoser) is the resident tops expert. I've only been going for a month now. My understanding is that each meeting will be different based on the group. My particular group is mostly older than me (and I ain't no spring chicken myself pushing 45), so some of the things are not 100% relevant -- also being a vegetarian, and being a lowcarber -- I just ignore the things that do not apply to me, but honestly I do that here sooooooooo very much anyhow, with the people who eschew vegetables, or vegetarians, or exercise, or perky blonde people, or whatever! - that it doesn't bother me in the least, lol!

I do like the fact that there are folks there who have been maintaining a weightloss for years and years (like 20!). I think the weekly weigh-in will be helpful and I like the educational programs so far.

Dianne posted a link to a TOPS thread they have on here which I may check out at some point, but I typically do not do well on weightloss threads because it messes up my head - I've been in challenges etc with gripes about a pound up, a pound down, etc. and somehow I start to buy into that thinking again when I know it doesn't work for me at all!! I like the TOPS meetings way of almost having a clean slate every week! (although they do recognize good weightlosses in 3 month increments, where people can get recognized based on what weight "category" they fall into, so for example, someone with 5 pounds to lose isn't in the same category with someone who has 40 to lose, etc.)

I saw your post over on main board! lol! on page 16 ... it's like in elementary school when we all knew the relevant Judy Blume page numbers .... Just one thing, don't take any of the stupid vegetarian digs you will see on these boards to heart. Over the years I've also had people try to bait me and I've learned that sometimes no response is the best response, lol! and when you ignore them interrupting threads, they tend to skulk away ...

Old 02-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #964
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Glad to hear it was nothing too serious the other day. I worried about my twin! I do think you deserve lots of presents. I am so very proud of you for your maintaining the number of years that you have! I want to be you when I grow up. That is if I grow up.

After reading your recipes the other day, I tried the cocoa almonds again. I hadn't had them for awhile. For some reason, I have terrible control issues with them. I want to eat the entire container and can't seem to stay out of them. So I gave the rest to my niece yesterday (of course, the container was almost to the bottom). I guess I will have to leave them for special occasions. They are so yummy.

I think when you mentioned about you deserved lot of presents, that was a good reminder. In my old mind set, prior to losing weight, I always put everyone ahead of myself and I think then I rewarded myself with food instead of other things. JMHO. Now I don't hesitate to buy some clothing, music, etc. We are so worth it!

I AM NOW LESS THAN HALF OF MY FORMER SELF!!

Dianne

A proud TOPS member - became a KOPS on 4/24/08!

Join us over at the lowcarb TOPS thread. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-part-2-a.html
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #965

Gallery: javajive2010
Stats: 202/202/size 12
Start Date: 2/3/10
Pauline, thank you so much for your response. Dianne, you were kind enough to answer my posting over on the TOPS board. I am going to a meeting on Friday! And I found a book on amazon about TOPS. It looks very interesting and I might buy it, book lover that I am.

Thanks again to both of you - and Pauline I appreciate the vegetarian tips - I've already been baited by folks at work and I've now learned to not get sucked up into the debate. There are people who just thrive on pushing our buttons. We all have to do what is right in our hearts; bottom line. I'm learning to ignore the naysayers.

Have a great day!
javajive2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #966

Sorry about the cocoa almonds Dianne! I have a peanut butter issue myself! lol! And speaking of recipes ... I just took that Linda Sue Quesadilla Quiche out of the oven and everyone here is excited for dinner! lol!!

Yah JJ! lol! My 13 year old gets it too - she made the choice to also become vegetarian a couple of years ago (I let my children make their own choice on this) - I tell her that just by choosing to do what we do in our own personal lives, we upset / unsettle people who don't want to be reminded of what *they* choose to do. I do not think I have EVER brought up a conversation on my own as to another person's food choices, lol! but people just love being up in my business - whether it's vegetarianism, weightloss, or lowcarb. I just figure when a person is successful at anything people want to take 'em down a peg to improve their own self-worth.

Anyhow, good for you just ignoring them!!! And best of luck with everything!!! Have fun on Friday!!!

Old 02-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #967

February 3, 2010

I had a good day today. I made Linda Sue's quesadilla quiche and the entire thing is gone ... everyone in the family enjoyed it, so the lowfat yogurt substitution for the cream worked out ok. I did find it a bit too salty, but that is easily remedied next time! I am thinking of trying other quiches / fritattas with nice cheeses. They have to be vegetarian though - no quiche lorraine, unless it can be made with vegetarian meat substitutes - would that be nasty? any thoughts? If anyone has any ideas, send 'em my way! I love making a meal everyone will eat ... they are far and few between here and usually involve eggs, lol!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #968

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Pauline,

I felt that e-hug, you.

BTW, why the abstinence? Is it a today only thing, every day, just Thursdays, forever?

Just curious.
WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #969

Oh just Thursdays, definitely No, I'm kidding. I tend to go through times when I just get depressed and everything and place annoys me, lol. I actually had a difficult Fall - my youngest (9) was given a huge honor and cast in a large role in a local theater production and our schedule just went to hell - she had rehearsal every day and in supporting her and making sure she lived up to the honor (with a lot of practice at home, etc.), I just got really depressed when I had the time to think about it ..

So I started on St. John's Wort three times a day, felt the fog lift and one day thought I'd go over and check out LCF - I had joined TOPS locally to do weekly weigh-ins and get some sort of structure in my life as far as maintenance - and well, I realized I miss LCF (most of the time! there is always some new fad around that annoys the crud out of me .. lol! In the day, it was Kimmer and ******* ...). So, I am back for now feeling happy and productive and thinking I need to stay on this St. John's Wort and wondering whether my whole issue with weight all those years was just something that might have been solved with some depression meds ...

anyhooooooooooo, that's it! Thursdays .... How's the BFFM going? I just love that man!!!

Old 02-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #970

oooooh I just realized, did you mean the not having wine tonight thing? lol!!!! lol!!!! it's just that we usually crack a bottle of red on Friday nights ... but last week we also went out Saturday night and I had a few whiskeys ... and if we do the same this Saturday night, well, I'd be turning into a lush, lol! and then next weekend we are going to a spa to celebrate my dad's 70th ... and more opportunities for going out and partying ... and well, lol! I'm not 20 anymore ....
Old 02-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #971

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
oooooh I just realized, did you mean the not having wine tonight thing? lol!!!! lol!!!! it's just that we usually crack a bottle of red on Friday nights ... but last week we also went out Saturday night and I had a few whiskeys ... and if we do the same this Saturday night, well, I'd be turning into a lush, lol! and then next weekend we are going to a spa to celebrate my dad's 70th ... and more opportunities for going out and partying ... and well, lol! I'm not 20 anymore ....
Yes, that is what I meant, the wine thing! No wine on Thursdays...that was what had me puzzled. But I get it. Can't have it every day now, can we (darn).

I try to save my Fridays and Saturdays for my indulgences, but if I'm having a particularly stressful evening, I make exceptions now and then.

Celebrating your dad's 70th at a spa???????? Very cool!

No longer doing BFFM...variations of it...carb rotations now.

Works fine....except when the Wrath of TOM strikes, then all hell breaks loose.

SO ANNOYING WHEN THAT HAPPENS!
Old 02-05-2010, 03:38 AM   #972

Yeah TOM thing just sucks!! I am a little pms-y right now too ... blah!

I love your avatar btw! Hot Mama!!!

Old 02-05-2010, 05:44 AM   #973

February 5, 2010

Don not miss this post over on Main board by Junkfoodmonkey!

Are you serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkfoodmonkey View Post
Are you serious about losing weight with low carb?

Are you sure?

We all know that the way to lose is to pick your plan, or create a plan and then really work it! None of us are perfect of course, so however serious and hardcore you are a slip can happen here and there. Even when you're really working it, some days you're going to skip your exercise session. Or eat something you shouldn't. But they are glitches. Most of the time you're on your plan and working it.

On the other hand you may not be serious. Not in the sense that you don't want to lose, but that you're not taking losing with this plan as seriously as you need to to succeed. This can be entirely unconscious. If you've done a million different diets before and none have worked then it's understandable that deep down you don't really expect this to work either.

It was quite a shock to me, both in a good and a bad way to realise this diet was actually going to work. I had to do a lot of mental adjustment. And I've sabotaged myself when I got scared of the big changes happening. It's normal. But you've gotta be on your guard for the signs of that.

Signs to watch out for that may indicate you aren't serious and may be unconsciously looking for ways to sabotage your loss. (With some exaggeration for effect. )

You haven't quite gotten around to reading the book, or the whole of the book, of your plan.
"But it's all on the Internet!" Except for that essential bit that you missed...
You're looking for loopholes.
"If I'm still within 20 carbs is it okay if I have nuts/wine/oatmeal/a Snickers bar?"
You have SLSS - Special Little Snowflake Syndrome.
"Yes, I know this plan in the book has worked for thousands of other people, but I'm different!" Maybe you are, but you need to actually try the plan first to find out. Who knows? You might be totally normal!
You're tweaking almost before you started.
"Okay, I'm on day five of Induction and haven't lost twenty-five pounds yet, so I'm gonna do the fat fast!"
You try some new tweak every week and never give it a chance to have an effect before you add the next one.
"Hmm, egg cremes for breakfast for three days and I haven't dropped ten pounds... I know, I'll add some coconut oil!"
You reward yourself for staying on plan by going off plan.
"I'm down three pounds this week, so I can have this cake." Which will make you regain two of those pounds...

Losing weight is serious business. It's especially scary when you realise that this time it's actually going to happen! It takes a mental adjustment to stop treating it like the usual "Start on Monday, off by Friday" diet.

Okay, enough wittering. I get terribly didactic on a Friday. But I hope some people find my thoughts useful.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #974

Quote:
Yeah TOM thing just sucks!! I am a little pms-y right now too ... blah!

I love your avatar btw! Hot Mama!!!

Thank you, Pauline! I just changed it again, trying to think "summer" ... positive thots.

Have a great weekend. Be safe.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #975

Thanks Twyla! Yah ... summer ... that's why I can't bear to change my avatar - that was just such a great day! Me and my youngest dd building an enormous sand castle - we spent hours at it ... ahhhhhhhhh .... sooon ........

Friday February 5, 2010

It's been a good week, that stupid pound of water is gone as of today - how annoying! lol!!! Funny, I don't think they meant it to come off this way, but at the TOPS weigh-in - after I weighed in and was up a pound, they literally said to me "Are you attending the meeting?" ... when they'd never asked that before when I was "turtling" (staying the same weight) .... made me paranoid that I was supposed to want to hide the 1 pound gain ... funny stuff!

Anyhow, the dang pound is gone and my clothes do feel like they are fitting better, so I imagine I may have taKen off a bit - which is good. The jeans were feeling too tight .. blah ... One must maintain pms wiggle room in the jeans!!! It's a rule!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #976

Re-found this old picture my cute little dd drew for a Mother's Day book about me - and felt like posting it again:

Old 02-06-2010, 05:21 AM   #977
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: msmoon
Pauline, your daughter has talent!
msmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:50 AM   #978

Pauline,

How precious is THAT!

That is frame material, girl. Get that in a frame!

I have "special" artwork from my boys' younger years that I wouldn't part with for any amount of money...my very own Picassos. I have them in frames and display them seasonally. One is an autumn theme, one is a Christmas theme. And from my third son, I have so many I haven't decided which ones to frame yet.

Their artwork is like precious treasure to me.

Agreed...your daughter has talent.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #979

Thanks guys lol! Actually it is my older daughter who is the artist in the family .. lol! She wants to be a street artist like Banksy when she grows up. They asked the kids in one of the English classes what skill they would like/need when they grow up and she responded: "to develop good techniques for dodging the police .." lol!!!! The teacher just laughed as they know her as the artist in the class ...

That is a really cool idea Twyla! I really like the season theme idea! We have a very long hallway and we have dozens of the girls artwork framed there ... looks like an art gallery, lol! and was a great decor solution, lol!!!
Old 02-07-2010, 06:50 AM   #980

Sunday February 7, 2010

So I went to a party last night - just found out about it that morning - and had already had wine the night before. My 2 issues at parties are 1. the alcohol (which I usually just plan to have and alter my regular drinking to accomodate, and 2. the buffet - I usually tend to go overboard on the lowcarb foods - cheese, in particular.

Well, I am so proud of myself!! I had two scotches and that was it ... so glad I got the nerve up to ask for scotch. Unless other people are drinking liquor, I sometimes just get wine to fit in with all the other gals ... love red wine with food, but not at parties for some reason. My group literally got herded over to the buffet table / snacks and I just didn't take a single thing - all I could see over there was chips and dip anyhow .. so I am very pleased with myself!

I think I learned something too ... I am less likely to eat at a party if I am drinking hard liquor. I think wine just makes me hungry .. maybe the carbs, or maybe because I am accustomed to drinking wine with food. Anyhoooooo good night!
Old 02-07-2010, 08:13 AM   #981

Sunday February 7, 2010 continued

I just did some google searches as the whole family just loved Linda Sue's Quesadilla Quiche and it is so nice to have a meal like that we will all eat. I am having a hankering for gruyere cheese so I wanted to find a crustless quiche that used it. I will play around with the recipe and get calorie / carb counts. I'll be subbing yogurt for the cream and will probably make it 6 servings instead of 4 servings ...

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recip...-frittata.html

Wilted Greens and Gruyère Frittata

When making the caramelized onions for this frittata, don't rush the process. Long, slow cooking produces onions with a golden brown color and a naturally sweet, rich flavor.
Ingredients:

* 3 Tbs. olive oil
* 2 large yellow onions, halved and very thinly
sliced
* 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
* 1/2 bunch Swiss chard, ribs removed and leaves
chopped
* Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
* 10 eggs
* 1/2 cup heavy cream
* 2 Tbs. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus sprigs
for garnish
* 1 cup grated Gruyère cheese

Directions:
In the deep half of a frittata pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onions, cover with the shallow half of the frittata pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are completely limp, 10 to 15 minutes. Uncover the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are golden brown and sweet, 35 to 45 minutes; do not let them burn. Remove from the heat and let cool. You will need 6 Tbs. of the caramelized onions for the frittata; reserve the rest for another use. They will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 3 days.

In the deep half of the frittata pan over medium heat, melt 1 Tbs. of the butter. Add the Swiss chard and a pinch of salt. Cover with the shallow half of the frittata pan and cook until wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain the chard in a colander and let cool.

In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, salt, pepper and minced parsley. Stir in the chard, cheese and the 6 Tbs. caramelized onions.

In the deep half of the frittata pan over medium heat, melt 1 Tbs. of the butter. When it foams, add the egg mixture and cook, using a rubber spatula to quickly and lightly stir the eggs in a small circular motion, until most of the liquid has cooked off but the eggs are not completely solidified, 7 to 10 minutes.

In the shallow half of the frittata pan over medium heat, melt the remaining 1 Tbs. butter. Place the shallow pan upside down on top of the deep pan and flip the frittata into the shallow pan. Cook, covered, until the eggs are firm and set, about 3 minutes. Using the spatula, loosen the edges of the frittata and gently slide it onto a plate. Garnish with parsley sprigs and serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 4.

Williams-Sonoma Kitchen.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:54 AM   #982
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Sunday February 7, 2010

So I went to a party last night - just found out about it that morning - and had already had wine the night before. My 2 issues at parties are 1. the alcohol (which I usually just plan to have and alter my regular drinking to accomodate, and 2. the buffet - I usually tend to go overboard on the lowcarb foods - cheese, in particular.

Well, I am so proud of myself!! I had two scotches and that was it ... so glad I got the nerve up to ask for scotch. Unless other people are drinking liquor, I sometimes just get wine to fit in with all the other gals ... love red wine with food, but not at parties for some reason. My group literally got herded over to the buffet table / snacks and I just didn't take a single thing - all I could see over there was chips and dip anyhow .. so I am very pleased with myself!

I think I learned something too ... I am less likely to eat at a party if I am drinking hard liquor. I think wine just makes me hungry .. maybe the carbs, or maybe because I am accustomed to drinking wine with food. Anyhoooooo good night!
Well done you!!!! Hope it was Jameson and Sons.

Thanks for the recipe too. I bookmarked the link.
Here is a blog that I really enjoy for good food ideas that you might find helpful...I linked you over to one of her pages that has some good ideas. Diet, Dessert and Dogs Raw Almond-Veggie Pate
Old 02-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #983

Wow!!! Thanks Mavis! I really like that website ... the "faux chocolate" looked really good too .. gawd I haven't eaten carob since I used to climb carob trees near my school when I lived in another part of the world ... many moons ago! lol!!

Unfortunately it wasn't even good scotch, lol!! But it saved me, so I loooooved it, lol! Actually I am not even all that crazy about scotch ever since the time, my (now) husband, his brother and I finished an entire bottle of Glenfidditch one night .. lol! My actual preference is plain old whiskey, and my favorite is an Irish Whiskey called Michael Collins ... what a terrible conversation, lol! I really do not drink all that much except on vacations, and even then, it doesn't take much to finish me off now that I am a lightweight and a very cheap date, lol!

I am planning on making the frittata this week ... did you notice there are carmelized onions in it too - yum! I'll be subbing yogurt for the heavy cream, and plan to bake in the oven like a quiche, but otherwise will follow the recipe. I'll let you know what I think!

Last edited by TaDa!; 02-08-2010 at 09:24 AM..
Old 02-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #984
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, it is a great site for gooooood food! I use it often along with a few others.
Carob! You must have been living in.....Mediterranean region?....Yes? They are such an interesting tree,...a tree with pea pods!
As for whiskey, I don't drink all that much but I do know that Jameson is a good one.....leastwise my hubby thinks so and being that he is an Irishman by blood and an Englishman by birth....well, I have to take his word for it.
Today marked my 365th (day) odyssey of working out without missing a day. I am chuffed about that. I feel blessed for this past year. I just hope I never go back to where I was which was very overweight and ill. I made the promise and I kept it and will carry on with it.
Tomorrow will be day one of another year with the same promise. Just think only 364 to go before another year can be counted as a success.
Oh and let me know how the frittata turns out. I too sub cream with yogurt. There are a few friends that snur their noses up when I say I am subbing this for that but in many cases the food tastes better to me.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:29 AM   #985

Oh my gosh Mavis!!! Congratulations!!!! 365 days of workouts is incredible!!!! I really don't think I could do that, lol!!! You are amazing!!!!!!

And I think we should get a pat on the back -- even if only from one another -- on subbing in items on recipes! lol!! I find a lot of times, they taste just as good and without the extra baggage of extra carbs and/or calories! BTW I looked at the recipe again and will be taking out 3 of the 10 eggs and subbing in 4 whites. I like to keep my main dish at about 250 max (before adding sides) and this will do it ...

I'm eating about 1800 calories/ 75 net carbs a day at the moment trying to take off a slooooooooooooow five pounds and I find in most recipes if you take out a few of the yolks it doesn't make a difference at all .... I know blasphemy to some!!! lol!!! I'll probably make it tomorrow since everyone will be home for dinner.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #986

February 9, 2010

I had to come in and post this quote from DDtheMommy's signature"

I have a great diet. You're allowed to eat anything you want, but you must eat it with naked fat people.

~Ed Bluestone

On another tangent, today someone who I have met recently told me their life story, complete with some shockingly sensational - and upsetting - details. It always amazes me that people, even strangers sometimes, feel comfortable enough with me that they do that - I guess I listen, which is something a lot of people do not do, and obviously give off the vibe that I am accepting of others. My mother and my sisters always have stories too of unbelievable unsolicited confessions from people they barely know. It is a little shocking at times. It was today ... I guess I should feel honored I now carry around this person's secret.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #987
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It happens to me too Pauline, not often but when it does, there's a moment when I want to shut them out....to turn away. But, when I look at them I can't shut them out nor turn away. I just want to console them instead. I have been hugged a few times by total strangers in line ups after an exchange where they have felt safe enough to lay their burdens at my feet.:blush: Gee that sounded biblical. But I think what it is is that I have a safe looking face. You most definitely look benevolent so I can see why this happens to you.

"Food", I am pretty boring. I stick to the same dishes over and over and over again. I eat this way as a safe guard I think. If I stray at all it's pretty exciting and I feel like I am doing something evil.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:56 AM   #988

February 10, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmoon View Post
It happens to me too Pauline, not often but when it does, there's a moment when I want to shut them out....to turn away. But, when I look at them I can't shut them out nor turn away....
Oh my gosh! yes!!! like a train wreck!!! It happens to me a lot - twice in the past week! and once the week before <sigh> One story involved a diagnosed "psychopath," one involved catching an SO in bed with another woman, one involved a long conversation with a naked person when I was trying to get into the shower at the gym. All things I could have done without, lol! I guess it's like an invitation to me to become "intimate" with them too ..

It's weird though since I lost the weight, I "bare" certain parts of my life, but I am, maybe, more selective of what I tell people. I was at a party Saturday night and met a couple originally from Russia, we got along well and talked a long time about just local stuff, and I didn't even reveal that I speak Russian (having studied it for many years), lol .. I felt I didn't feel like answering a lot of questions about myself at a party where I was having fun - or that I didn't know them all that well - wanted to talk to other people too, etc etc.. didn't want anyone making a big deal about anything -

As it was, there was a woman there, a real gossip who was telling everyone how "HUUUUGE" I used to be everytime I turned my back and how I'd kept off the weight blah blah blah ... when my back wasn't turned it was gossip about the crazy man who lives in our neighborhood ...

I guess I've become more selfish, protective and less giving since I lost my weight ... good for me, not so good for others ...
Old 02-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #989
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Me too....some of the stories I have been told have really upset me. I really didn't need to hear what I did from some.
What might work...remember the film, "what happened to baby Jane"? Bette Davies wore some pretty fierce make-up and I'm thinking that might do the trick with keeping crazy people at bay...crazed people don't like crazed people....they seek out the innocent.

As well, I know what you mean about keeping your mouth closed when you could engage in a conversation....one that could be one of only two things and neither are appealing at that moment. I have had these types of encounters too many times over the years, mostly at art gallery galas. I use to be able to answer question about my work but that has changed and now I don't even like to stand beside a piece claiming to be the person that did it. I've had more fun standing off to the side listening to comments...good and bad alike. As I have shrunk in size, I feel more self contained in a good way. I am digging not being so engaged that I am stuck!
Strange to hear people talk about your body...I don't do well with this either.

Are you still working out on a regular bases?
Old 02-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #990

Ha! I love the crazy idea .. except that there is a history of crazy women in my family and well .. I could probably easily get a little too into the role if you know what I mean!!

I feel for you having to speak with people about your art while standing in front of a piece!!!!!!! Art is such a personal thing - I can only imagine what it must feel like to be questioned about it!! I guess if I were an artist, I would be most interested in what it evokes in the person who views it -- how they interpret it, without any "guidance" ...

Yah, I just hate anyone commenting on my body, good or bad -- just a personal problem of mine - feeling like my weight was always fair game because it was there for everyone to notice, it makes me crazy to reach "normal" and still feel like I am on show to certain people .. lol! I love love love that so many people I know have no idea that I struggled with weight for so many years!

I do work out regularly and have since I started way back when ... At one point it was 6 -- occasionally 7 days a week. Now I am working out 4 days a week, and I work out hard and pretty long. I love the way it makes me feel! like I can do anything! Too bad we live on opposite coasts! It would be fun to go for a nice hike or something and blather on the way we do online!!!!!