Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #901
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Elizabeth Looks like we simul-posted! lol!! An inch difference already is amazing!!! No wonder you are so into the T-Tapp. Congratulations!!!!

The daylilies I planted are in the pink and red ranges - unfortunately I based my selection on price, lol!! but that is the color range I wanted as it is in two long beds up against the house trimmed with a boxwood border. Our foundation is stone and the house itself is very dark brown, so I thought it would look nice .. we'll see!! lol!!!!!!

Isn't it weird how darn satisfying it is to see bulbs you planted in the fall coming up?! I should not be this excited over it ... it just doesn't seem right, lol lol!!!
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #902
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GardenGirl639
Stats: 229/restart 201/193/145 5'3 3/4"
Pauline,

I love your color choice. I think they will be stunning en masse against the house and with a boxwood border. My neighbor game me three varieties of pink which I planted last Fall. They are poking their heads up as well so I guess all three of them made it. It is crazy that we get some happy when we see all of our previous hard work come to fruition! I think gardening is so pleasurable because, for the most part, the hard work that you put into it actually rewarded--and in such a beautiful way!
GardenGirl639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:20 AM   #903

Exciting! LOL! I also FORGOT (how do you forget this? lol!) that I had planted 60 of the large globe allium and their strappy leaves are up now too. DD and I just prepared a pile of daylily seeds and put them in the fridge for their fake winter - also pinks of different types, non-named varieties - we'll germinate and pot them up in a week or two. I do wish everything was as easily rewarding as gardening, lol!!

April 6, 2009

Still lots of emotional drama in my house with my pre-teen and her various friend relationships, lol! I don't know why I care so much about what other people think in certain areas of my life .. maybe this is my next big mountain ...

I temporarily have gone over to "The Daily Plate" as my substitute for ******, but am not 100% happy with it. Exercise and food are good and I have to say I am much happier just not weighing myself, but doing what I know is right, and works. I guess the whole trick in the journey has been learning what IS right to be in a certain weight range and that is a huge accomplishment.

Oh yeah, I also tested my blood sugar a few times after meals, even once when I felt that wave of exhaustion and the bs numbers were normal, so that's good ... but still the weird exhaustion is a mystery .. google time maybe!

Last edited by TaDa!; 04-06-2009 at 04:21 AM..
Old 04-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #904

April 11, 2009

Had a day of unpreparedness yesterday and ate a bit of Raisin Bran, lol! Some regular sugar in it (on the raisins) so it isn't the greatest thing, but definitely could have been a worse .. No cravings of any kind today despite the higher net carb level, etc - so that's good.

It is hard when I don't have time to bake and run out of my reguler baked goods. I currently rely on having homemade flax muffins and homemade veggie burgers in the freezer ready to eat -- and I really like the cost savings and health savings of making things from scratch.

I hope all my friends have a wonderful Easter celebration with family that focuses on the day and the people who are important to you.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #905
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Hi Pauline.

Wishing you and yours a great Easter day tomorrow.

I try not to ever run out of things I can grab quickly. When I do, I usually overeat. I still eat lowcarb stuff but way too much, especially nuts!

Hugs to you and yours!
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:46 PM   #906
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Exciting! LOL! I also FORGOT (how do you forget this? lol!) that I had planted 60 of the large globe allium and their strappy leaves are up now too. DD and I just prepared a pile of daylily seeds and put them in the fridge for their fake winter - also pinks of different types, non-named varieties - we'll germinate and pot them up in a week or two. I do wish everything was as easily rewarding as gardening, lol!!
Wow!! 60!!! That will be amazing! I planted six and thought I was doing good. LOL I already have a vision for all the bulbs I will plant in the fall. I'm happy with the bulbs that are blooming now, but I realized that I can see very few of them from the house. My neighbors have lovely views of all my flowers, but not me. Hah!

I've been doing a lot of contemplating about the board and LC. It seems that after a certain point, the people who tend to really last on this journey have incorporated exercise into their lives. It also seems that the exercise and what it does for the body becomes more important than the food. I think I may FINALLY be on that path. I love how T-Tapp makes me feel. I love how it seems to be healing my body and allowing me to get on with my life. I think this is extremely important for those of us who where larger for most of our lives. To think of myself as an "athletic" person is beyond a dream come true. Pauline, I want to especially thank you for continuing to post your journey here. I don't know if you realize how you inspire so many of us....not just in food, but in exercise as well.

I hope you are well!

Elizabeth

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."-Thomas Edison
"I never failed once. It just happened to be a 2000 step process"-Thomas Edison
"It's never too late to be who you might have been"-George Eliot
Dream it, talk it, live it. -Rose Fitzgerald
Old 05-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #907

Elizabeth! Funny enough I can gaze at the globe allium right here from my computer They are very pretty and I am so pleased with them! We planted three bulbs to a hole and it worked out perfectly! The beds together are about 40' long, so 60 really isn't that many, lol! but I have to admit when I do anything, I do it BIG!! Hmm, I will take a picture and try to post it this week - I need to do that anyhow as all the little daylily seedlings are starting from the seeds I bought from hybridizer and I need to figure out where to plant them .. the clearance daylilies are up and I am hoping I like the color ... we'll see!

I totally totally agree with you on incorporating the exercise, it keeps me centered when life seems too much sometimes. It also keeps me from going off track on eating for very long. I can physically feel now when I am a pound or two heavier and that is so critical to someone like me who never ever had been a healthy weight and only really noticed when I'd gained a lot more. Here's to athletic garden girls!!! and happy mother's day!!!!
Old 05-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #908
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: msmoon
So good to see you Pauline.
I agree with you both on exercise. I haven't missed one day for 5 months now. I can't count the ways it has helped me.
Me too.... been out there planting and replanting. My hubby thinks I am crazy for moving plants but I know the second...no wait!....the third spot is the perfect one! It's so nice to see all the lush growth right and I love watching the blooms open.
Hope you are keeping well.
msmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:07 AM   #909

Hey Mavis! lol on moving your plants!!!! The curse of the artist's eye!!! lol!!! WTG on the exercise

May 13, 2009

Doing well with the no weighing "just stick to what you know is right" wol .. Part of it is still making sure to journal my food and exercise. I have had some higher carb days - Mother's Day is a good example. A tiny bit of panko breading on my swordfish, balsamic vinegar, and I ordered plantain as one of my sides ... so my day ended up at about 125 net carbs - 2000 calories. And another time, for example, I ordered sweet potato fries, one day had a 1 c. bowl of Raisin Bran with milk, etc. I find that as long as I keep the calories in line on those higher net carb days, eat what is a real single portion, everything is fine. No cravings, or weight fluctuations (judging by my clothing and how I feel), etc.

It's funny a few years ago now, when I read Fred Anderson's From Chunk to Hunk: Diary of a Fat Man, I was almost sorry that I had been doing lowcarb (by then I had lost maybe 60 or 70 of my 100) because his approach made so much sense on so many levels "live, eat and exercise like the thin Fred would and the weightloss would follow."

In the past 3 years on Maintenance I have been trying to come to terms with what is normal and looks like the path has led me back to Fred. The draconian approach to the almighty carb is extremely effective for weightloss, but really it has to be changed to succeed at Maintenance. It is very hard to make this transition and no one - not even Dr. Atkins - can get you to that place. He describes it somewhat, but the details are so different for each individual that it can only come from you ...

Not very helpful I guess, but there you are, lol!
Old 05-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #910
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Glamour P!
Stats: Bigger than I should be..73 to go!
WOE: Vegetarian LC/LGL
Start Date: Every moment of everyday.
Hi Paulne - how are you? I was just popping by to say hi, its been a while. Things have been a little hard going here, so busy. I'm gonna pop by later and read back, but just really wanted to say hi!

G x
Glamour P! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #911
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Here's to athletic garden girls!!!
This made me tear up! Thank you.

Glad you talked about alliums last Fall. They are blooming now and have to be one of my favorite things in the garden right now. I've been spending as much time as possible out there. Ahhhhh, fresh air and sunshine. Nothing better!
Old 06-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #912

Hey GP! Hey Elizabeth!!! Elizabeth, soooooo glad you planted alliums!!! Mine were so beautiful, I was really sorry when the purple faded .. the structure is still kinda cool though I am hovering like an expectant mother over my daylilies these days, waiting for a flower stalk to appear ... I hope I get some this year!!!! lol! I also planted those daylily seeds I bought and have managed to raise 10 plants ... woot! Hopefully they'll make the transition to the garden ok ....

June 6, 2009

OMG! I just came in to post about my hysterical lunch goof and just realized that I MISSED my 6 year Atkinsversary! lol!!!! Goes to show you, you can make this so "normal" that it ceases to amaze you anymore

OK, now for the goof ... I think I just ate 300+ net carbs We were out of veggie burgers and so I grabbed a can I had picked up some time ago of braised seitan ... the carb count said like 3 net carbs per serving .. lol!!! good old Chinese labels! When i just went to enter it into "MyDailyPlate" it came up as more like 300 net carbs .... I was wondering how I could feel hungry so soon after eating a meal .... ohmigosh, so funny!!!!

I think I will send the rest of the can down the garbage disposal.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #913
Major LCF Poster!

Pauline - Congrats on your 6th Atkinsversary! That is awesome. I agree that I think we start becoming more "normal" that we can forget these things. Anyway that is what I wish for me. In April I had my first year of keeping off over 100 lbs. I thought about it briefly but that is it. This is the very first time I have kept any amount of weight off for an extended time.

Your flowers sound beautiful. My daylilies are blooming right now.

Good to see you posting. Have a great weekend!

Last edited by NWLoser; 06-06-2009 at 12:45 PM..
Old 06-08-2009, 06:11 AM   #914
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hiya Pauline, I want to say the same as our fellow sojourners,... congrats on your 6th anniversary. You have always been an inspiration and I thank you for that. It does become, "who we are" in time, doesn't it. I feel a sense of being at peace,.. finally. Not that I am not mindful and know there are pitfalls, (like you with the can of braised seitan), but the daily worry is pretty much gone for me now and hope it is for you all too.
My garden is looking fine right now as well. NWLoser, I am as you know just up the coast from you and my day lilies are just starting to open. Lovely flowers aren't they!
GardenGirl639 Hope your garden is growing well too!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #915

Thanks so much Dianne and Mavis

June 16, 2009

So everything is chugging along and then life comes along and bump! Looks like we're losing some major monthly income ... ok, so I deal, I maneuver, I know we'll somehow manage if I take everything one step at a time. The recession cannot go on forever ...

Then I find out my gym is closing in ten days and they won't refund my money - just recently gave them an additional years dues for dd. The money thing sucks, but what sucks more is that I go there nearly every day and everyone in the place knows me and runs over to talk to me. I feel like a princess there ... and I like it there .. it's somewhere I like to go to spend time torturing myself, lol!

Anyhow ... sad. All good things come to an end. I went and toured 2 gyms today - they're ok, but not nearly as many amenities for the money ... I just knew it wouldn't last, and I definitely had love-hate relationship with the place .. lol! I could list every single fault, but still it really was a good deal.

Today at the gym was like being at a funeral and not many people were even there - I could barely move a step without someone coming up to ask "where I was going." There is an 85 year old woman who is a gym buddy of mine and she has been at that gym for 21 years. I wanted to be her and now I guess I can't.

Requiem for a five year gym membership, lol! Who woulda thunk it?
Old 06-18-2009, 11:13 AM   #916

June 18, 2009

It's amazing how much I have changed in the last few years. I've moved from responding to life's events by becoming uncontrollably panicked and self-medicating with food, to just problem-solving. Somehow I've convinced myself that working to move forward is the only way to live.

I just re-negotiated a contract where I take a pretty big loss, but at the same time, salvage the lion's share of the income. In the past I'd have just assumed the worst and allowed the situation to fester, waiting until there was no hope of keeping a contract in place. This time, I collected as much information as I could about the other party's needs and went from there. Instead of hiding, I communicated and solved a problem before it got out of control.

Unbelievably, the outcome could not have been much better. Sadly, that is only 50% of the solution, but I will just deal with the other half of things when the time comes and try not to worry too much in the meantime. Every obstacle I overcome leaves me more confident and happier. I feel overwhelmed when I allow circumstances to totally control my life. I am happy when I am taking action.

So, of course, I am doing the same thing with the whole gym saga. I have been taking three courses of action: 1) I read my contracts thoroughly and am taking steps to get some money refunded. It may not work, but I'm pretty sure if it does not, I'll likely be part of a class-action suit and, at the end of the day, I will have done everything in my power - no regrets! 2) I am collecting contact info from my friends so we can all track info on the various local places, where people went, and any rumours on the current premises. 3) I've been researching other gyms. I've toured three already, and have already come up with a possible cheap solution for my family, but I'm biding my time until I have all the info necessary to make a decision.

In the last few years, I have learned that if you want to feel better about yourself and your life, you have to stop being a victim of life's changes, get out there and control your own destiny!

It's been a pretty good day

Old 06-18-2009, 11:33 AM   #917
Major LCF Poster!

Wow Pauline. You have really come a long way. I love how you are dealing with things in a healthy way. I find myself (not nearly as good as you) dealing with things now instead of hiding behind food. It does make one feel empowered.

Have a great day twin!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #918
Major LCF Poster!

Pauline, I find such inspiration and confirmation from your journal. I have been such a 'fraidy cat in my life. I am taking these little baby steps and trying to meet problems head on instead of, like you said, letting them fester. I had to call the insurance department at one of my children's doctor's this week and it caused me such anxiety. In the end, the problem was resolved and there was no catastrophic event like I imagined there would be.

Congrats on your six year Atkinsversary! Today is my second! Amazing, isn't it?

msmoon, thank you for the garden well wishes

Last edited by GardenGirl639; 06-25-2009 at 06:59 PM..
Old 08-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #919

Thanks Dianne

WTG GG!!! I am sorry I missed your Atkinsversary!! Congrats!!!!!!!

August 13, 2009

Well I came in to find a recipe for Cocoa almonds and found a lot more! lol!! I've been busy busy busy! Going to Disney in a couple of weeks - figured we owed it it to the kids to do it before they got big, even though it's a crazy financial move right now.

Ended up joining the Y for a gym and it's working out ok - not crazy about it, but it's ok. I think I'm still a little sad over all the people from my former gym that I don't see regularly anymore, but what can you do? Change is the one thing in life you can be certain of ...

I hope everyone is doing well and keepin the faith, lol!
Old 08-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #920
Major LCF Poster!

Good to hear from you Pauline. Have fun at Disney.

Next week I will be a grandma again to a grandson. It has been fun having a granddaughter (she is 3 now) so I am sure it will be different with a little boy.

I am holding around 117 and pretty content with it.

Sorry the Y isn't as good as the gym. But you are so right that change is the most certain thing in life.

Have a great day twin!
Old 09-23-2009, 08:35 AM   #921
Major LCF Poster!

Pauline,

I was just thinking about you today and wanted to come in and say, "hi!"

Hope all is going well for you. You are missed.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #922
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Pauline, we....your regular peeps are missing you as you can see.
Hope you are well and happy!
G.Girl, hope your doing well and feeling fine and I hope you got some dirt under your nails this growing season.
Hiya Diane. Nice to hear about the new arrival arriving soon..or has he made his grand entrance all ready? Two little tykes to run after and of course, dance with are going to help keep you happy and healthy for sure.
As for me, I am not losing much but holding on to what I have lost so far. I am closing in on a year of working out every morning (on the elliptical machine for anywhere between 40-60 minutes depending on my free time) and I feel better than I have in years.
It's nice to see this thread again. Now if only Pauline would make an appearance.

P.S. Diane, who did the sketch of you? Nice!
Old 09-23-2009, 11:59 PM   #923
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Gardengirl & Mavis! We miss you Pauline!!

My little grandson was born on Aug. 17th. So now I have 2 portable gyms!

Whenever anyone asks about my workout I point out to my 3 yr. old granddaughter. I lift her all day long, dance, jump, skip, run, you name it all day when I watch her. I call her my "portable gym".

The sketch was done with my photo imaging program. You can turn any photo into a sketch.

Hoping to hear an update from you Pauline!
Old 09-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #924
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Diane, I think I need a brain transplant! Later on last night after I posted on this thread asking about your new grandchild, I remembered not too long ago posting on another thread where you had introduced him. :blush:
He is adorable!

Pauline....this is your journal thread isn't it? Hope you come back before we take it over!
Old 11-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #925
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Joycelyn
Pauline, where are you? We miss you!
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #926
HB = Healthy & Balanced

Gallery: hummingbird11
Stats: 2008: 175/sz 12-14 >>> 2010: 145/sz 8-10 (5'8")
WOE: BFL (Oct/Nov/Dec)
Start Date: March 2008 (LC) >>> Oct 2010 (BFL)
Aloha & Mele Kalikimaka!

I'm in CA physically; but in Hawaii spiritually!
Happy Holidaze to YOU and yours; miss ya!!

hummingbird11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #927

Hi guys! Glad to see everyone doing really well!

January 18, 2010

Things are going well for me. I've just been extremely busy now that my youngest has gotten to the age where she is also involved in a lot of activities and recently got a pretty awesome role in a local musical which was just insane with daily rehearsals, etc. My eating suffered and I finally bit the bullet and did something I'd been considering for years, lol! I joined a local TOPS chapter (tops.org). I know Dianne has been a member and leader there for some time! I guess I'm the "better late than never" twin. It was very funny though to get looked up and down my first time in and even have someone say to me, "You don't have to lose weight ..." Gave me a huuuuuuge inner giggle ...

Anyhow, I figure the weekly weigh-ins and camaraderie will help me stay on track! I just realized that my carbs were a little out of control - looks like my cclm is about 100 net carbs and I have been carb creeping, so I started to review my daily menu and the reason I came in here ... I came up with an awesome new recipe that I'll use in place of bars when I eat at home!!!

This is not a recipe for purists, as it does use 2 products that have sugar in them ... Emerald Nuts Cocoa Roast Almonds, and either Nestle Fat Free or Swiss Miss Diet Hot Cocoa .. It probably resembles recipes that have been done before, but I did come up with this on my own - I can't keep peanut butter in the house so, I use soynut butter, but the counts are about the same if you want to use pb ...

Pauline's Soynut Butter Drops

Ingredients

* 1 tbsp I.M. Healthy Soynut Butter
* 1/4 oz Emerald Cocoa Roasted Almonds
* 1/5 envelope Nestle Hot Cocoa Mix Fat Free

Directions

Crush 1/4 cup of cocoa almonds. Add 1 Tablespoon of soynut butter. Place on a waxed sheet of paper and place in the freezer. When they can be lifted up without sticking, roll in the hot cocoa powder. keep in the freezer. When "frozen" they are fo the right consistency to eat. Makes 1 drop.

Calories 138, Net Carbs 1.7

(Total Fat 10.8g, Total Carbohydrate 5.5g, Dietary Fiber 3.8g, Sugars 1.6g, Protein 6.2g)

p.s. You can find them in thedailyplate.com under "Pauline's Soynut Butter Drops". I think they are to die for ..
Old 01-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #928
Major LCF Poster!

Huge (((((((hugs))))))), Pauline!!

It's so ironic that you would post today....last night, I was reading some of your old posts and really missing you and here you are today!

I am so happy to hear that you are doing well.

You have been greatly missed!

More (((((((hugs)))))))),
Elizabeth
Old 01-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #929
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome back twin!! I am so happy to see you posting.

I think TOPS is what keeps me on track. I love the weekly meetings. I hope you found a good chapter.

The recipe sounds delicious. I love those almonds and have to watch that I don't eat the whole container at once.

Please post when you can.

Waving to Elizabeth!
Old 01-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #930

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenGirl639 View Post
Huge (((((((hugs))))))), Pauline!!

It's so ironic that you would post today....last night, I was reading some of your old posts and really missing you and here you are today!
Awwww thanks!! Nice to see you too ... Look at that avi!!!! skinny skinny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWLoser View Post
Welcome back twin!! I am so happy to see you posting.

I think TOPS is what keeps me on track. I love the weekly meetings. I hope you found a good chapter.
At first I thought maybe it wasn't a good fit ... but I joined between Christmas and New Years lol ... so not a lot of people. I have to say it is mostly older ladies, closer to my mother's age than mine - but the program director is really so excellent, I am really enjoying the meetings and everyone has been so nice to me ... ha ha I even divulged my Atkins "secret" today, lol!

Good to know that has helped keep you on track ... there are some ladies in my new group who have been maintaining 10, 15, 20 years so I am thinking this might just work for me too ... we'll see!! LOL! I even volunteered to present a program on exercise which should be interesting - hopefully I can get my facts straight - these ladies know their stuff!!! lol!!