Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2006, 06:59 PM   #61
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: DisneyPrincess
WOE: Whatever it Takes
Start Date: Time to make this a lifestyle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa!
9:19 pm As Jackie pointed out with exercise, there is the question whether my workout is properly tailored to my current needs? I think I could cut back some - maybe implement two rest days a week. I have certainly felt as though I have needed it the last two weeks as I have upped my intensity. But this extends to my entire way of life … and this is something I have been contemplating lately. Again, what is my weight / body goal and how do I get to it through food and exercise? I went to buy jeans today and the size 6s are already too baggy on me, with the size 4s snug.

I am adding in grain foods right now, the last rung of the ladder and have stopped adding carbs above 70 .. figuring that I am so close, a decision can wait until I know what all the various foods do to me. But this is just a form of procrastination. The weight this week has been dropping crazily - although tomorrow's official weigh-in may not be the same, this morning I weighed in at 125.25. Can I afford to keep dropping pounds? I am considering calling 125-130 as Goal even though, getting to 118 , where I'd be exactly half of my original weight, has been tempting for no other reason than to be able to wow myself!lol!

I would like to lose more fat, but can't I do this at Maintenance calories and carbs? Or is that just impossible??!! Maybe at a minimum, I need to call "Pre-Maintenance" and slow my weightloss down to .5 pound a week or less … I don't know …

I just want to say I LOVE your journal!

First off, if you are tired, taking an extra rest day is not a bad thing. I am in weight loss mode and I have 2 rest days. If you dont want to, or dont need to, lose much more I would say defanitly cut back..when you are ready of course. I understand the apprehension for sure.

Also, just wanted to let you know that it is 100% possible to lose fat and maintain, I did it for about 4 months. I didnt lose a pound but I lost a few inches along the way and was starting to notice some more defanititon.

I think you should re-read the first chapter in BFFM, and then decided what you want to do
Current 12/7: 98.0
Goal: healtHy and fit
DisneyPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2006, 07:16 PM   #62

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Awww thanks Jackie!!

I definitely need to take a look at 'ol Tom again! Chapter 1, huh? Well that's esier than re-reading the whole thing, lol!!! I wish I could get it printed out!! I am seriously thinking of taking it to Staples and having them print it out double sided ... probably cost me $40 just to have it output!!

Jackie ... I know I am particularly dense, but I have to ask, so you are pretty sure that the lost inches are a result of some fat loss in addition to muscle gain? I have some fat deposits that just have to go one way or another! lol!! but I am totally ok with doing it nice and slow at this point!

Such a silly question, lol!!

TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:30 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa!
Jackie ... I know I am particularly dense, but I have to ask, so you are pretty sure that the lost inches are a result of some fat loss in addition to muscle gain? I have some fat deposits that just have to go one way or another! lol!! but I am totally ok with doing it nice and slow at this point!

Such a silly question, lol!!

Defanitly not a silly question at all. I defanitly feel the inches are a result of fat loss. What else could it be? I didnt lose an ounce on the scale, in fact I did even gain like 2 pounds at one point. I was weight training so I think I was replacing fat w/ muscle. That would also explain why I was seeing mroe defanitition. I still have areas where I have more fat ( my upper legs) and I am hoping losing a few more pounds will at least decrease this a little, because I have tried everything else.

I think with where you are now, slow is the only way to go, otherwise you will A) either gain back all the weight or B) lose too much and be unhealthy, and we dont want either of those. Time to start looking for a plan that you can maintain forever.

When I was where you are now I dropped ****** and started just eating when I needed to, and I stuck with what I knew. I did fine and havent used ****** since

I think whatever you decide you will do GREAT
Old 04-28-2006, 05:26 PM   #64

Thanks so much Jackie!! Yeah I am losing too fast the last week or so ... gotta change some things! I appreciate your thoughts on this stuff!!!

Pauline
Old 04-28-2006, 05:35 PM   #65

April 28, 2006

8:22 pm

Lyrics to "When I Was A Boy" by Dar Williams

I won't forget when Peter Pan came to my house, took my hand
I said I was a boy, I'm glad he didn't check.

I learned to fly, I learned to fight, I lived a whole life in one night
We saved each other's lives out on the pirate's deck.

And I remember that night when I'm leaving a late night with some friends
And I hear somebody tell me it's not safe, someone should help me
I need to find a nice man to walk me home.

When I was a boy, I scared the pants off of my mom,
Climbed what I could climbup on
And I don't know how I survived, I guess I knew the tricks that all the boys knew
And you could walk me home, but I was a boy, too.

I was a kid that you would like, just a small boy on her bike
Riding topless, yeah I never cared who saw.
My neighbor came outside to say, "Get your shirt," I said "No way
It's the last time, I'm not breaking any law."

And now I'm in a clothing store, and the signs say Less is More
More that's tight means more to see, more for them, not more for me
That can't help me climb a tree in ten seconds flat

When I was a boy, see that picture? That was me
Grass stained shirt and dusty knees.

And I know things have gotta change,
They got pills to sell, they've got implants to put in, they've got implants to remove
But I am not forgetting
That I was a boy too.

And like the woods where I would creep, it's a secret I can keep
Except when I'm tired, except when I'm being caught off guard.
I've had a lonesome awful day, the conversation finds it's way
To catchng fireflies out in the backyard

And I tell the man I'm with about the other life I lived
And I say now you're top gun, I have lost and you have won
And he says "Oh no, oh, no, can't you see

When I was a girl, my mom and I, we always talked
And I picked flowers everywhere that I walked
And I could always cry, now even when I'm alone I seldom do

And I have lost some kindness,
But I was a girl too.
And you were just like me, and I was just like you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Candlelight dinner tonight. Ran out of cds and delved into the old cassette tapes as you can see.

I was never happy with my female role models. Too much pressure, emphasis on looks over all else. My male role model was too much to live up to anyhow, even more difficult when I could not meet the physical expectations of my sex. Never mind the terribly confusing messages of the 1970s.

And now I have all girls and it is good for us to be girls. We are strong proud confident girls ... but the song still makes me weepy.

-------------------------------------------------

Weight
126*

Food
calories: 1863
carbs: 62
fats: 123 60%

Exercise
Extra Rest Day

*as of 4/28/06. Next weigh-in on 5/5/06
Old 05-03-2006, 05:43 AM   #66

May 2, 2006

Well, I have had a little journal hiatus! This is a very busy week and I have been doing my best to cope with it, part of which has meant, not curtailing my participation on boards with my peers, neglecting my journal instead!

Saturday night I did give in to a binge. This is no coincidence. Definitely related to the stress I am feeling this week! But as these have gone since September, it was over and done with and I easily moved on. I also was able to pinpoint the triggers but even though I fought it for hours and hours, I finally just went with it. Interestingly my weight went up the first two days and then zipped right back down to below last Friday's weigh-in which is not my norm. Such a binge is usually a week's setback. I am trying to think in terms of the bigger picture now and to Dr. Atkins 5 pound buffer range. I successfully continued my program without any restrictions / punishments for the binge and all-in-all am very pleased with my handling of it. It has not had any serious effect on my progress or state of mind.

I have had a few thoughts / changes I am preparing to make to my wol. I have dropped an exercise day (7 miles, 40 minute weights) to give myself an additional rest day a week (to bring it to 5 days of exercise per week). My plan is, on occasion, to use one of my usual exercise days to do a 10 mile or longer run … so the mileage thing should even out somehow. I think the extra day will make this all more liveable for me and will give my body recovery time it needs.

I have also been thinking about the rest of my weightloss and carb ladder journey from the food point of view. I think I have come to a little decision. I will continue on this way through the rest of my carb ladder. That will take some time, as I plan to cycle through a lot of foods in 2 week stints:

1. Joseph's lc pita,
2. Peppridge Farm WW Bread,
3. Dreamfields - maybe?
4. Oatmeal?
5. Regular Healthy Whole Wheat bread - 15 carbs/slice
6. Corn / Popcorn
7. White potato

Once I have cycled through all my foods, I will likely up my calorie level to about 2100 to incorporate another yogout concoction after dinner and I will see what that does to my weightloss (along with lowering my exercise to 5x a week).

Then at that point, I will basically be eating what I want to eat on maintenance!!! Because that is the only addition I really want and the calories are holding me back, not the carbs!!! so, I can then decide at what point to add in a weekly higher carb food here and there at a restaurant to actually get myself to real Maintenance. That of course involves figuring out what goal really is, and the 5 pound range that Dr. Atkins talks about … but I am putting serious thought of that off until after the Carb Ladder.

I am, at this point, confused about goal weight. I went shopping, am wearing Junior size 5 jeans, and look really great in my clothing … but naked, I still have fat that has to go … well, at least some of it. I have no delusions that at age 41 (or any age for that matter) it will be possible to reach "perfection" as defined in today's popular culture without artificial means …

Weight
126*

Food
Saturday April 29
calories: 3039 <- Binge, approx
carbs: 83
fats: 198 61%
Sunday April 30
calories: 1909 <- Restaurant, approx
carbs: 67
fats: 113 52%
Monday May 1
calories: 1860
carbs: 63
fats: 123 60%
Tuesday May 2
calories: 1630
carbs: 57
fats: 108 61%

Exercise
Saturday April 29
Rest Day
Sunday April 30
Run: 6.5 miles / 60 minutes
Monday May 1
Run: 40 minutes
Weights: 40 minutes (upper body)
Tuesday May 2
Run: 40 minutes
Weights: 40 minutes (lower body)

Old 05-03-2006, 06:59 PM   #67

May 3, 2006

8:22 pm
Wow!! I was all confused about my "weight" and whether to stay on "deficit" calories and carbs to continue fat loss for my visible fat and then there's dh tonight hinting that I shouldn't lose anymore (i.e. he likes me at this weight, lol!). And then there's a guy at the gym today tells me you "lost a lot of weight" in the last three weeks. Apparently he went on a vacation and was away "so he noticed" ... He went on to say (heh heh maybe to stop me from feeling self-conscious?) that he noticed when I walked by that my back had gotten defined and he could see it in my shirt today.

So I finally went back and took another look at Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat, Feed The Muscle. This time I finally did the calculation of my lean body mass at my current weight (97.524 lbs). Using his calculations, I then determined what my body weight would be at various bodyfat percentages:

20% Bodyfat: 122 lbs
18% Bodyfat: 119 lbs
16% Bodyfat: 116 lbs

I chose these particular bodyfat percentages as based upon Tom Venuto's "Bodyfat Rating Scale" saying that for women:

9-12% ----- "Ripped"
<15% ----- Very Lean (excellent)
16-20% ----- Lean (good)
21-25% ----- Average (fair)
26-30% ----- Below Average (Poor)
31-40% ----- Major Improvement Needed

He does say that distance runners tend to 10-16% bodyfat … so it would be interesting to see whether I stay at my selected bodyfat percentage or not when I go to Maintenance, but I think this is a good start! I am now thinking my goal weight should be 120 lbs with a five pound "Atkins" buffer, lol!! So, about 5 pounds to go which would leave me at goal weight, probably in the first week or two of June if my weightloss remains as consistent as it has been the last 9 months … yikes!

Weight
126*

Food
calories: 1922
carbs: 68
fats: 122 59%

Exercise
Run: 40 minutes 9 minute mile
Weights: 40 minutes (upper body)

Old 05-03-2006, 08:33 PM   #68

I didnt know Tom said distance runners BF% was so low? Hmm, interesting, mine defanitly isnt! I am hovering around 19%

I think your new goals and plans sound great! I look foward to following your progress
Old 05-04-2006, 07:03 PM   #69

Thanks Jackie!! I have a feeling 'ol Tom bases his figures on pro athletes, lol!!! I have to say though that doing out those figures yesterday surprised me .. how little difference there is at this weight between 20% bodyfat and 16% bodyfat!!! Thanks for inspiring a re-read of the "bible" lol!! I have read so many darn books at different stages of the journey and I guess I get out of the books what I need at the time and let the rest of the stuff evaporate from my brain! It is a good thing to re-read the great ones!!

--------------------------------------------

May 4, 2006

9:24 pm
Life Lessons From Preschool (as told to dd when food is dished on her plate family-style at lunchtime):

"You Get What You Get, And You Don’t Get Upset."

Most adults I know have forgotten this rule … you can only work with what life has dealt you. If you don’t work with it, you only worsen your own situation …

Well, I was doing some of my own thinking on that profound little preschool ditty today, along those lines, when I came upon Tom Venuto's chapter on this:

<excerpt>

"Making excuses is reliquishing control. It's conceding that you are at the mercy of circumstances instead of being the creator of your circumstances. You must avoid blaming and take responsibility for your results and your life. Take action! …"

"No one ever said life was fair. In fitness as in other areas of life, there will always be people above you and below you. If you were not blessed with a fast metabolism, you have two choices on how to view your situation; you can either sit around cursing and complaining or you can get moving and make the best of what you have; you can choose to become the best YOU can be."

"So-called "limitations" that force you to learn more about exercise, to eat nutritious food, to adopt a healthier lifestyle can be a blessing in disguise. You'll find that when you finally work your way to your goal, you'll have become a much stronger person that you ever thought you could be. When someone has it easy, they don’t develop the qualities of persistence and determination…"

"Every adversity carries with it the seed of a greater or equivalent benefit … the inner strength that is gained by having to work harder to reach a goal. I'm not impressed with someone who shoots to the top easily. I'm more impressed by someone who gets knocked over and over and keeps getting back up. I'm impressed with the person who overcomes; the person who has a difficult time achieving a goal - and achieves it anyway …"

Tom Venuto Burn the Fat Feed The Muscle, pp. 111-112

Weight
126*

Food
calories: 1960
carbs: 69
fats: 128 61%

Exercise
Run: 60 minutes

Old 05-05-2006, 04:00 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Colo Alex
Stats: 297/231/<200 (6'0", 47 y.o.)
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Back on track 9/7/11
[QUOTE=TaDa!]

"Every adversity carries with it the seed of a greater or equivalent benefit … the inner strength that is gained by having to work harder to reach a goal. I'm not impressed with someone who shoots to the top easily. I'm more impressed by someone who gets knocked over and over and keeps getting back up. I'm impressed with the person who overcomes; the person who has a difficult time achieving a goal - and achieves it anyway …"

Tom Venuto Burn the Fat Feed The Muscle, pp. 111-112

Wow, Pauline. That really hits home. I have times when I am so proud of where I am right now and it is a private and personal feeling. I keep it inside for now, but this change is affecting me in such a deep, and personal way that I just can't explain it. Even though I am only half-way to goal, I am still such a change man. I can't wait to see who I become when I lose even more and continue to change. Your posts continue to inspire me. Thank you!

Alex

My Journal
Colo Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #71

You should be proud Alex! It is great to have friends to share with here, but fact is .... You are on an amazing journey and there is no one else who has made it happen, but Alex! Empowering isn't it?!

---------------------------------

May 5, 2006

9:35 pm
A long few days coming up! Just spent a few hours cleaning the Kitchen while dh and the girls are away at the "Father-Daughter Dance". Just call me Cinderella! Every time I got tired of cleaning, I felt like sitting down with some food …. Hmmmm …. Escapism, perchance??!! Well, I did not give in! What a hero I am tonight!

Had a good workout today .. have to get 2 more in somehow in the next 4 days somewhere in the crazy schedule but I would love a rest day tomorrow. It's been 7 days! So, I will try to control myself from lacing up the running shoes tomorrow evening … unless I really really really feel like I must … lol!!!

Weight
125.5*

Food
calories: 1852
carbs: 64
fats: 122 60%

Exercise
Run: 40 minutes 9.7 minute mile
Weights: 35 Minutes (Lower Body)

*as of 5/5/06. Next weigh-in on 5/12/06
Old 05-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #72

May 6, 2006

7:47 pm
It has been a crazy day and I live to tell the tale! I did something today that I feel a bit uncomfortable about, but I know I did the right thing and in my heart feel relieved … My 10 year old daughter has a best friend "T" who, last year, was telling me and my daughter about how "fat" she is and how she weighs so much compared to my dd. She is overweight, but not obese, I would say, but obviously she is getting this from somewhere.

Her parents are very conservative and seem to be my kind of people in terms of raising kids. They do have her in a swimming program nearly every single day and she does swim meets on the weekends, plays two instruments, and goes to religious school some afternoons as well - her schedule has always seemed a little excessive to me.

Anyhow, this year dd has come home worried about T because she "throws out her lunch" every day. And then lately dd tells me she throws out her sandwich and then takes pocket money to buy cookies or other sweets instead of lunch. Today after the birthday party (when we were riding home), dd was recounting what she ate herself (because she had a stomach ache, lol!) and told me that T ate 4 pieces of cake and no dinner at all.

Anyhow, I recognize a young me in "T' and have been feeling guilty about not saying anything to the parents. It has been weighing on my mind and so when I saw T's mother waiting for her (the mom is overweight too), I decided to mention it to her. I prefaced it by saying that "This is very awkward, but that I would want to know, if it were my daughter," and proceeded to tell her about what dd had said about the food this year. And also that dd had actually told on her friend one day and a teacher sat with T and made her eat her sandwich."

Anyhow, the mother's reaction was kind of "what can you do" kind of response. And I apologized again. And that was that. The mum is a nurse manager. I feel like maybe I should have kept my mouth shut, but I became a closet eater and binge eater as a child as a result of pressure to lose weight and I recognize it. (I did not say that, of course).

I'm confused. I hope my dd does not end up paying for having told me <sigh> and that the mother has the sense to go about changing things in the right way - like offering to make her daughter a different lunch, etc. rather than confrontation.

<sigh>

Sometimes it sucks to do the right thing.

8:28 pm Yesterday I completed my two weeks using 2 Latortilla Tortillas daily and I lost 2 real pounds in that time and so I am thrilled to call them a success!!! Yipppeeee!!! Today was my first add-in of Joseph's Oat Bran and Whole Wheat Flour Pita Bread , 5 net carbs, which is sold at my regular supermarket. The reason I am trying it even though I have tried the tortillas already: 1. The ingredient list is different, including some corn starch and a list of preservatives. 2. The LaTortilla Tortillas were frozen with no preservatives and a simple list of three ingredients, I believe. So, here's hoping I tolerate them too!!!

The pita is very handy as a sandwich, especially portable! The Latortilla tortillas are tastier though, lol!!! Once I complete the pita add-in week(s), I will go on to the Pepperidge Farm lc bread ….

Weight
125.5*

Food
calories: 1895
carbs: 63
fats: 121 60%

Exercise
Rest Day

Old 05-07-2006, 06:02 PM   #73

May 7, 2006

8:44 pm
I am utterly exhausted. The day started at the track where I ran like Diana and made all the boys cry … didn’t let a single one pass me … I wore 'em out and outlasted em! I'm thinking they won’t try to keep up with me next time we should meet .. heh heh heh!!

I mixed up a yummy new concoction tonight that just tastes like summer!

Strawberry Yogourt
180 cals, 8 net carbs

1 cup plain yogourt
1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
2 oz sliced strawberries
vanilla davincis syrup

mix 'er up and enjoy!

Weight
125.5*

Food
calories: 1889
carbs: 62
fats: 140 67%

Exercise
Run: 40 minutes 9 minute mile average - with some mighty 7 minute spurts
Weights: 25 minutes (upper body)

Old 05-08-2006, 07:27 PM   #74

May 8, 2006

10:18 pm
I am just back from the gym where I had a great 9 minute mile run on the track and a good heavy lifting session! Today went well despite the schedule change and I am pleased to now have my two workouts and I can enjoy my rest day tomorrow and the field trip with the kids …. Hopefully I'll survive the bus trip!!!

Almost forgot, the scale was down to 124.75 … day 3 of the lc pita … I think we have a winner folks! I will have it again tomorrow because it is just so handy for lunch on the trip … I am thinking about having it all week - so a 5x add-in - and then move on to the bread for next week … The bread I will be eating double the portion of the tortillas and pita with 10 net carbs, since I like to test real portions and two slices would be a real portion in my book … so my success at lc bread may indeed be a different story!!! I'm glad I'll know really soon!!!!

Gosh I love the Carb Ladder and poor Dr. A!!!!!

Weight
125.5*

Food
calories: 1734
carbs: 60
fats: 129 66%

Exercise
Run: 40 minutes 9 minute mile (possibly less!)
Weights: 45 minutes (lower body)

Old 05-10-2006, 07:45 PM   #75

May 10, 2006

5:59 pm
Yesterday was crazy although the field trip went well and so my insane week is over. I gave into binge again last night (that's 2 in the past month), but I think it was a result of exhaustion, etc. I should have known it was coming <sigh> Anyhow, the blips do not seem to slow down my weightloss, so I am back at it today. Hopefully my weight will be back down to siggy weight or lower by official weigh-in day! it usually is!!! I have to be more vigilant about this!!!!

Today two more men came up to me at the gym and told me to stop losing weight. One is a runner and the other is a professional body builder I actually hit 123.25 yesterday morning, so I'd be about right in the middle of the 5 pound maintenance buffer. I am starting to take all these comments seriously ... funny they all have come from men!!!!!!

I have cut out one workout day - down to five days a week, which will put me at 25 miles a week running - down from 30 (although my intensity on both weights and running pace has increased amazingly in the last month) and once I see what my official Friday weigh-in number is (if it is 123), I may add a 100-200 calories a day to slow down the weightloss to a crawl and get myself into Pre-Maintenance so I do not just shoot below the 120 mark. I do not want to be in the position of trying to gain weight. So it may be that the rest of the carb ladder (whole grains) will happen as I try to maintain ... unfortunate that they'd coincide since I think both need maximum concentration and the ability to isolate things you do to figure out what happens with the weight ... but hey, small price to pay! right!!

I am also going to inquire at my gym about the "Bodygem" metabolism test - to determine my actual personal metabolic rate and see exactly how many calories I should be able to tolerate on a weekly basis. They are running a "weightloss" special right now for $59 and hopefully it includes the bodygem and a trainer doing a bodyfat caliper test too! I can just pass up the weightloss tips, lol!!!!

Weight
125.5*

Food
May 9, 2006
calories: 3403
carbs: 101
fats: 226 61%
May 10, 2006
calories: 1809
carbs: 54
fats: 129 67%

Exercise
May 9, 2006
Rest Day
May 10, 2006
Weights: 35 minutes (upper body)

Old 05-11-2006, 06:35 PM   #76

May 11, 2006

9:32 pm
I started reading an interesting book last night. My running partner had told me about it and then I saw it displayed in the library and grabbed it. it is called Tripping the Prom Queen and is about female rivalry. The premise of the book from the few pages I have read is that this rivalry colors our entire lives and we are brought up to behave/feel this kind of envy, etc. Interesting!!!! The first chapter is a bit of a downer … but I will be interested to see what she has to say from her research!

I made an appointment today for the metabolism test. Apparently it is just your resting metabolic rate and then you have to figure out your daily activity + exercise, so it will still be a ballpark figure! lol!!! Also, my gym does not measure using calipers ... they use a handheld bodyfat monitor ... Appointment is Monday at 8 a.m.! I am a little nervous talking to this trainer, lol. It's like I don't want people to know how big I was, etc .. I guess I don’t really have to talk about that anyway! Just my current goals, etc. OK, nervous and excited!

I have a sore throat and I hope it does not develop into anything bad!!! Weigh and measure day tomorrow!! Yikes!!!!

Weight
125.5*

Food
calories: 1860
carbs: 66
fats: 125 61%

Exercise
Run: 60 minutes 9 minute mile

Old 05-12-2006, 06:07 PM   #77

May 12, 2006

8:57 pm
I am sick today. Sore throat and one ear is blocked, so a few days of claritin and benadryl. I am feeling pretty bad today. Exercised anyhow, and felt a bit whoozy weightlifitng and in the sauna! The food experiment suffers when i'm sick because I retain water, but ... hey! It'll be ok!!!

Today is my Friday weigh and measure day and I am happy to say that the Joseph's Pita bread is another thumbs-up after only a week of add-in this time!! I started the Pepperidge Farm LC bread today and if it is as obvious with the bread as it was with the pita, I will only do it for a week ... There may be a difference though because the portion of bread will add an additional 5 net carbs.

I was talking to dh about my weight. He doesn't want me to lose even another 4 lbs, lol! He said the same thing all 4 men at the gym said to me ... that my face has gotten too thin. <sigh> Now I am looking in the mirror and thinking it too. My face is simply not as "pretty" as it was and the gauntness is making me look older. Tradeoffs.

Kind of sad that I can't lose the fat on my body without my face getting that gaunt runner's look. After all my announcement about 120 being my goal, I am thinking maybe I will call goal at this number and try to maintain from 125-130 instead of 120-125. I already upped my calories today to 2000 and lowered my exerise to 5 days a week ... I'll come up with a plan to finish up the carb ladder while trying to maintain my weight and then when it is over with, come up with a first stab at a real maintenance food and exercise plan ... which may take tweaking before I get it right, but that's ok! I just want an initial plan down on paper before I call "Goal" officially, lol!!!

My running partner did cheer me up today .. I think she will be my new role model (well, partly, lol! She overexercises!). She weighs about the same as I do now, but is a good bit taller at 5'6" Well her husband did her bodyfat yesterday with calipers they have. Her reading from months ago came out at "10" (not 10% but a scale that they have on the calipers) where it had been "13" a few months ago. For her age, 50, she came out as being lean/ideal for her age ... so she has actually done what I would like to do, that is, stayed the same scale "weight" but increased her muscle and lost some fat all through exercise not diet ...

As for the Carb Ladder, I have decided on a whole bunch of new add-ins after the bread this week ... so I am buying some supplies online and one of them is Carbquik ... I think I'll make blueberry muffins and see if maybe this can also be a snack for dh who watches his weight too. Some other things I am buying: packets of steel-cut oatmeal with maple (sf), Dreamfield's pasta, and the carbquik. I am starting to get excited about the prospect of making meals that all 4 of us eat … what a concept that would be! I have been making separate meals for three years now!!! Talk about insanity!!! Lol!!!

Weight
124.5*

Food
calories: 2085
carbs: 73
fats: 126 56%

Exercise
Weights: 40 minutes (Lower body)

*as of 5/12/06. I will be going to daily weigh-ins now that I am probably at goal so I can track daily fluctuations with different food amounts, exercise, etc etc. The whole point of weekly weigh-ins was to keep me from scale-based binges …well if I am no longer interested in losing weight, just staying within a range, it should be ok to officially weigh-in daily!!
Old 05-13-2006, 04:46 PM   #78

May 13, 2006

7:35 pm
I have had a sense of euphoria all day despite the fact that I physically feel like hell. It is such a relief to me to be eating just that small bit more that has made the difference between satisfaction and wanting a snack I don't allow myself -- and not worrying too much about carbs. The last two days have been about 2000 calories, with one day 73 carbs, and one day 86 carbs -- because I wanted a banana mid-workout.

The euphoria is also relief. It is about me coming to terms with the realities of my body. Calling a weight goal is not "giving up." Not one bit!! It is simply moving the battle forward and changing the method ... the goal being now to continue re-shaping my body with targeted exercise. I am hoping to get some solid advice on that Monday with the trainer.

I am so excited, I tried on a lot of clothes in my closet today including two suits bought last year for two daytime weddings … one of the suits was $400 and I looked so great in both of them … So I have been saving them thinking, "Oh, I'll just have them altered" … Well!! Even though they are only size 10/12, they are both so big that they would need to be entirely re-made!!! The shoulders for example are too wide, etc. So I will save them for my sister who also LCs. Her goal is a size 10 so that should work out fine … And two clingy Italian designer dresses I bought last year on clearance for $35 each down from $300 look wonderful on me!!!!!! What a way to confirm my high mood and sense that this is it, Goal!!!!!!

I also had 2 more compliments today in the gym on the recent weightloss. I also have noticed in the last 6 months that dh is acting a lot more possesive of me, more courteous and considerate of my feelings and moods. He has never been a very affectionate person, so this change is a big deal. I feel happier than ever in my "situation" and I feel so secure in this wol now thanks to this Ladder Challenge which has helped me put my own little struggles in perspective. We all go through them. I am no different than any other woman out there - whether she was thin her entire life, or not.

At 125 pounds, I have lost nearly my entire bodyweight (118+118 = 236 pounds). Why chase perfection when it is unattainable. I am perfectly satisfied with "normal" -- I know I look better than average, why should that not be good enough for me??!! I feel great and I look great and I enjoy life. I finally made it!!

Weight
124.5*

Food
calories: 1987
carbs: 86
fats: 111 53%

Exercise
Run: 30 minutes <10 minute mile (sick today)
Weights: 40 minutes (Upper Body)
Old 05-14-2006, 05:29 AM   #79

Gallery: AllieCat0817
Stats: 213.5/142/137
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: 5/23/03
TaDa, CONGRATS girl. Look at what all you have accomplished! Thanks for being here.
AllieCat0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:39 AM   #80

Thanks so much Alliecat!!! It's great to be coming into Maintenance right now with all the incredible Maintainers like you around!!! You guys keep me going!!!!

Pauline
Old 05-14-2006, 06:24 AM   #81

Girl it is so sad reading the lobby at the people eating hardly nothing, killing their metabolisms. And here you are with a SERIOUSLY revved up metabolism and eating like a queen. It was the whole 'sedentary starved' people vs the 'active eating' people that got me started EXERCISING.

So KEEP IT UP.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:51 AM   #82

Yeah, I actually have felt very disillusioned about the Main Board here. I suffered from obesity my entire life with the attitude that the 'sedentary starved' approach was what I was missing ... that I was too 'weak-willed' and 'lazy' to do what the thin people do ... No wonder every attempt led me to binge and give up. If I had only realized that it had nothing to do with willpower and starvation and everything to do with moderation and developing good habits, I could have been at this place 20 or 30 years ago.

It makes me so sad to think that new people will come upon the boards, desperate like me and be spoonfed more hurtful lies about "the answer to their ills," be unable to keep it up, and fall back into the binge-restrict-binge cycle. Sometimes I do not feel like I even have the strength to post in some of those threads.

Did you see the one with the girl who has suffered from Bulimia who is now trying to cycle water fast, meat/egg fast and induction and is vigorously defending her new woe. My god.

I am so glad to hear that you were smart and able to see through the whole mess to do what is good for your body!! It does not even take mega exercise to get the metabolism benefits - all it takes is regular exercise. You're a winner Allie!!!!
Old 05-14-2006, 08:59 AM   #83

That whole post what you just said-- is exactly how I feel. I DON'T have the strength anymore. I said I'm just gonna focus on what I'm doing and keep up with you and others like you. I can't be stressin about the sedentary starvation thing. I would be SUCH A MESS if I were just starting now or recently and that was all I had to read on here. JEEZ. Anyway, you keep up your thing, and I will too!
Old 05-14-2006, 01:26 PM   #84

You got it Allie!!! We sensible folk have got to stick together!!!

Pauline
Old 05-14-2006, 03:20 PM   #85
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Joycelyn
AllieCat and TaDa, I am so grateful to have found this journal board and read your posts. Allie Cat I hope you are reading this too, because I have stopped posting on the Main Lobby bulletin board. It was very disillusioning for me to read post after post on how people are SERIOUSLY limiting their calories in an effort to lose weight, and doing crazy things in the name of low carb.

And to top it off I see carbohydrate misinformation given out by the resident "expert" who believes in severe caloric restriction, who started up her own question sticky. It really saddens me, and just brings me back to my many years of minimal calorie restriction and then binging.

Thank you both for your wonderful journals. I was tired of questions like how fast is it taking me to lose, etc. This is a journey not a race, and when I admitted I was a very slow loser, I know it was a disappointment to some.

Keep up the great work, and when I'm close to goal I'll be putting up a journal too.

Thanks to both of you.
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 03:32 PM   #86

I feel the SAME WAY, we all can do this AND maintain by eating well and moving our bodies!!!!!!!!!!! We CAN.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:26 PM   #87

Joyce!!! I think you should start a journal now and not wait. I actually started mine with about 40 left to lose -- it was not on these boards though until recently. I have found it very helpful to my inner journey.

I am really glad you found a way to keep away from things and posts that have negative effects on you. It was not until recently that I could even be part of a challenge because the constant talk about weight could set me off. The challenge I am in - although some folks are very focused on weight - is more about the carb ladder so I am able to be there without feeling that stress feeling ...

Thanks for posting here!!!!

Pauline
Old 05-14-2006, 05:46 PM   #88

May 14, 2006

8:34 am
I upped my net carbs this weekend and my calories ... calories to 2000, net carbs were 73 one day and 84 yesterday and I am down a pound this morning to 123.5 (of course, I am also sick, but that usually has me retaining water, not the opposite)

I find this hysterically funny! No matter what I try for, my body does the opposite!!! LOL!!! Anyhow, I will continue on with 2000 - 2200 calories today. Hopefully after the trainer appointment tomorrow, I will have more data to figure out how to stabilize. I am happy that cutting a day of exercise has not slowed me down too much ... I like the extra rest day!!! and I want to be able to eat more, lol! So things are looking up!!!

*** I just remembered I have added the Pepperidge Farm LC Bread the last two days, so looks like I tolerate it!! woohoo!!! I have to now figure out what will be next my add-in!!! Maybe real whole wheat bread - 15 net carbs a slice??!!!! The only reason I'd want to see if I tolerate it is to be able to eat a sandwich when I'm out because that is the most likely vegetarian menu item at many places! I guess it would also indicate whether I can tolerate breaded foods like fried shrimp or fried fish -- often the only option at some reaturants for someone like me. I'd continue to eat the lc bread products at home probably, since I enjoy them as much as the regular wheaty ones.

4:19 pm I had a lovely Mother's Day! Tried on lots of trousers .. and I'm a size 4 verging on size 2 it would appear! Eddie Bauer, and other name brands.. actually I am between a 2 and 4 in Eddie Bauer .. talk about your vanity sizing!!! I ended up buying a nice blouse in a size 2 -- very very strange! lol!! Shopping is a whole new thing now that I do not have to worry about buying clothes only to last for a short while! I had a lot of fun shopping even though I was not very successful!!

Ate more than usual - but all on plan! How nice to be able to pick things with legumes in it and to choose between a meal with "bread" (lc bread) or "pasta" (soybean pasta) for dinner! I know many others have been able to eat these throughout, but it is all new to me and I am loving it! I even went and bought a sf chocolate bar for dessert at lunch since it is a "special occasion" and enjoyed that! I'll be doing it again in a week or two at my choral society's annual potluck ... loving my food "freedom".

8:31 pm I have been running around like a chicken trying to get everything ready for the morning .. I will have to leave the house early to get to the gym for my metabolism test, so I won’t be going online, unless I am up reeeaaaaaaaallly early! I started to go through ****** to see how the numbers for my resting metabolic rate and activities measure up now and for comparison against what the test shows … and doing a full report including the days I have binged, if I take a month's calories eaten and calories burned through the methods ****** uses … it shows an average of 2000 calories eaten a day, and 2500 calories burned. So, 500 extra calories would mean:

500x7 = 3500 calories = one pound per week rate of loss

In actuality I am losing 0.71 per week which would indicate a deficit of 357 calories, i.e. 2357 calories burned and not 2500 calories burned average per day …. Interesting to see what they come up with tomorrow!

OK, and then the hard stuff … how much do I exercise (already chose that one - 5x week), and how much do I eat on a daily basis in order to have one medium pig-out a week, lol! Looks like I'm eating at the number in question today … which only profes tome how vigilant I need to be, because I could have easily overeaten today … looks like following my appetite is just not going to be an option <sigh>.

Weight
124.5*

Food
calories: 2176
carbs: 91
fats: 127 55%

Exercise
Rest Day
Old 05-14-2006, 06:54 PM   #89
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Joycelyn
Thank you Alliecat and Pauline.

You are right I will start a journal even though I still have 60 pounds to lose to my goal weight. It will really keep me accountable. Thank you!
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:56 PM   #90

May 15, 2006

9:50 pm
We are in a state of emergency and my kids did not have school today and tomorrow has also been called off -- apparently too many roads are closed. We are bound by two rivers that are going to go far far over flood stage and a couple of smaller iffy ones, but our house is fine -- we are on a very very high hill, and so is the rental property we own. Others have not been as lucky.

I am quite sick but I ran my 60 minute run today anyhow and I swear I was hallucinating, lol! But this being the first week of my maintenance I want to be able to keep good track of Calories in, Calories out!

I had the metabolism test this morning for my resting metabolic rate (RMR) and it came out as 1110. The rule of thunb is your weight x10 which would have me at 1250, but mine is lower than that. The trainer assures me it is not good or bad, just a fact of my body to work with. He came out with his calculations to 1998 calories a day to maintain .... I however have done some major calculations using ****** and for the past month (exercising 6 days a week) maintenance calories would be 2300 -- not the 2500 shown by ****** -- I calculated this based on the weight I lost during this time compared to the food calories eaten ... And God I hope he is wrong!!! It would really be a bummer!!

My bodyfat on the gym's handheld monitor came out at 23.5%. The trainer told me that the margin of error is 3% ... so all the various methods I have used could be correct:

23.5% via Gym's Bodyfat Monitor
26.5% via Bodyfat Monitor: (tiny cheap handheld)
21.2% via Bodyfat Monitor (cheap one) Adjusted*
22.6% via Navy Measurement Method http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

Since I do not have access to the gym's monitor, I am going to continue to use the navy method as my measuring stick. Actually being at approx. 23% puts me at healthy for my age ... at the link posted above, if I scroll all the way down to the bodyfat chart .. it puts me in "Ideal." That is cool! Yay!

* To adjust for a female muscular body/ athlete (I have big muscles, lol!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaL
First thing in the a.m., take your reading on the female setting. Then take it again on the male setting. Add the two numbers together, divide by 2 and then subtract 1. That is a more accurate way to use the scale. When I do it that way it tracks very closely with what I get on websites where you enter your measurements.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/s...343#post6718343

------------------------------

Weight
125*

Food
calories: 2049
carbs: 94
fats: 133 59%

Exercise
Run: 60 minutes (Slow 9.8 minute mile)