Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #841
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: msmoon
Me too! I mean I love Indian food!!!! Even the smell drives me wild with desire....okay, not that kind of wild but darn near as good.
As well as most foods from the middle east such as hummus. I make this all the time and eat it for breaky, for lunch and dinner. Oh and the crackers are made of soy flour, sun dried tomatoes, three types of pepper corns, and basil. They taste yummy with this hummus which I make with so much garlic I can kill Dracula with one breath.

hmmm, I tried to add a photo but it didn't work.....darn!!
msmoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #842
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay I think it was too big so I had to re-size it. Here is my homemade hummus!
I think if it's too small to see, you can click on it to make it bigger.

I forgot to say, the reason it is green and not yellow is because I added a fair bit of parsley to it which made it taste pretty good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (27.3 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by msmoon; 02-07-2009 at 08:08 PM..
Old 02-08-2009, 04:53 AM   #843
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
As far as the chickpeas and beans .. if you really want to do Atkins Glamour, my advice is to get done with induction as soon as possble and go right up the carb ladder.

Atkins Carb Ladder:

1. More Salad and other vegetables on the acceptable foods list

2. Fresh cheeses (as well as more aged cheese)
induction is 3-4 oz hard cheese. And fresh cheese refers to cottage and farmers cheeses

3. Seeds and Nuts

4. Berries

5. Wine and other spirits low in carbs

6. Legumes

7. Fruits other than berries and melons
5 carbs= 1/4 cup of apple, fruit cocktail in water, 6 cherries, 6 grapes, 1/4 grapefruit, and others.

8. Starchy vegetables
carrots, squash, yams, peas, potatoes

9. Whole Grains
brown rice, oatmeal, corn, whole wheat, barley

On Atkins, you can spend most of your journey on OWL eating these things and still losing weight, but it pays to get there in an organized manner the way Dr. Atkins sets it out .. and it's rung #6 so you have to make your way up there. Dr. Atkins is a little nebulous about the timing of making it up the carb ladder, but I think Rose Elliott's one add-in a week is perfectly fine up until you get to rung 6. I would say that Rung 6 and above, it pays to try each add-in for longer than one week as they are more likely to cause trouble ...

I just rifled through my Rose Elliott book and even she, who is focusing on vegetarians and their special requirements, does not include regular beans or chickpeas - she does suggest either green or black soybeans once induction is complete, so maybe you could try substituting them until you reach the stage where you add in the others? Looking again at Rose Elliott and the difference between her plan and Atkins, I have to say I totally agree with it for vegetarians - so for example, you can incorporate things like yogurt and nuts (following the guidelines for carb counting them) that Atkins followers cannot at those stages.

All that said, beans and chickpeas are good carbs - we're not talking about white sugar and white bread here, lol!! so the occasional meal of it would be ok in my opinion - even before you test it out ... but as you may already have been able to tell, I am no purist!!! lol!!!

Mavis .. Too funny! I announced to my kids I was making them hummus to take to school this week and there was jumping up and down and shouting, lol!!! One dd is extremely allergic to sesame, so we cannot buy any commercially-made hummus .. which is just as well ... I lived in the Middle East for five years and I have to say, mine tastes better anyhow

p.s. You can tell that an artist took that photograph, lol!!! It looks beautiful!!!

Last edited by TaDa!; 02-08-2009 at 04:55 AM..
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #844
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pauline, I am no purist either but instead have been wading through what works for me health and weight-loss wise and take it from there. I also keep a journal which allows me to reexamine past consumption of foods that are either stalling me or driving me to overindulge or,... on the bright side foods that are helping me along. It's been a great aid/guide and tells an invaluable story for me on a personal level.
Thanks for your thoughts all on counts.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #845
ird
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ird
WOE: Insulin Resistance Diet
Pauline, welcome back!

I found your journal by recommendation of a fellow board member who is on the same plan I'm on, back when I was vegetarian. I've really missed your insightful postings!

I also used to suffer from winter blahs...do you take fish oil? I've read some new research on cod liver oil and depression - cod liver oil's been used for hundreds of years although it's more chic now just to take fish oil capsules...it's helped me tremendously...Carlson's brand Lemon Flavored CLO actually tastes good! If you google cod liver oil+depression, there are some really good research articles.

Well, welcome back and I look forward to reading new postings in your journal - they really helped me in the past.
ird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:33 AM   #846

Thanks Mavis and Ird Ird I use to take flax oil - for similiar benefits of fish oil, but stopped as I eat a lot of flax daily in my baked goods and adding the oil ws defeintely overdoing it. Thanks for the info tho .. I'll be checking it out!
Old 02-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #847

February 9, 2009

Doing well .. just chugging along! I find though that I have no patience anynmore for hearing people talk about weightloss .. one pound up, one pound down, obsessing why their weight went up since yesterday .. Was it this or that soft drink, lack of regularity, yada yada yada ad infinitum ... Understandable concern when it happens over time, but from day to day ??!!

I think I instinctively know this is the kind of behavior that can get me in trouble with binge eating and so I find myself staying away from it and threads that seem to go that route. It is just healthier for me.

As long as I am eating and exercising correctly, I should have no worries whatsoever ... My experience at this has told me that. I just need to stay in a healthy frame of mind and all else seems to follow.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #848
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I could not bare to be around anyone that talks about such matters. Better to focus on healthy eating and wellness. Although I don't talk about eating with my friends I do have a lot of inner dialogue going on when I veer off course. No talk of pounds lost or gained outside of here with you and with my old thread buddies who I stay in touch with via emails and even then, I don't get specific. My biggest obsession (if I can even call it that) is my own personal challenge which for now has me weighing in every 2 weeks so can play with my workout routine but ya know....I will be more than happy to ditch the scales when I get pretty close to being happy with how my new (smaller) clothes fit. They will be my gauge then....not to be obsessed over but to be aware of should they get too tight or too loose. I suppose my only obsession is eating healthy which is proving to be a good idea for me.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:03 AM   #849
LJB

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
My friends talk about their weight constantly. I don't hang around them often enough to let it get the better of me.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #850

Actually, my comment wasn't about RL, but about the various boards and threads I frequent.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #851
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know what you mean just the same. I think I would have trouble with such whether I was this in RT or on a forum.
Better to focus on good health, good food and a fitness regime that does a body good.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:37 AM   #852

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmoon View Post
I know what you mean just the same. I think I would have trouble with such whether I was this in RT or on a forum.
Better to focus on good health, good food and a fitness regime that does a body good.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:23 AM   #853

February 11, 2009

I made a point of not watching the Biggest Loser last night. I have never felt that it demonstrated a realistic or healthy way to lose weight. Yeah, it was great to watch the transformations. That was always the reason I watched .. but the whole emphasis on losing as much as you possibly can every week, last-ditch workouts before weigh-in, etc etc .. is not normal behaviour and so is not good for me to watch - not good for my state of mind.

A good thing for me to focus on are all the people I see day in and day out at my gym working to either stay athletic, or to get in shape - some of them the same size as I was when I started Atkins - people who do not quit. You can rely on seeing their faces day after day. Health is either an established habit for them, or a habit they are working to build.

Every year, there is a flurry of activity at my gym around January with a lot of newcomers. By March, only a handful remain. I have always felt that the exercise or eating plan you can and will follow for the longterm is far better than the one you will quit far before you achieve your goals -- that ultimate workout, that incredible deprivation diet you can't possibly follow through on ....

Imagine the real changes people could make, if doctors just told their patients, "I know you need to lose 50 pounds (or 100 pounds or whatever) for health reasons, but I want you to pledge to come back here next year for your annual checkup, 10 pounds less than you weighed in today. All you have to do is change your lifestyle and lose 10 pounds in a year."

Our whole society is built upon achieving results - whatever the actual task is - in the fastest easiest way possible. I think it has been proven time and time again that those methods actually backfire for weightloss. Many people regain the weight plus some when they go into a plan expecting those kinds of results .. I really think everyone needs to take a step back and think about how to build a lifestyle that they can live with, one that assures weightloss and good health will follow ..
Old 02-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #854
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GardenGirl639
Stats: 229/restart 201/193/145 5'3 3/4"
Pauline,

You are so wise. This is just what I needed to read today.

Thank you,
Elizabeth
GardenGirl639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:47 AM   #855
LJB

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
I agree, Pauline about people at the gym.

Quote:
Our whole society is built upon achieving results - whatever the actual task is - in the fastest easiest way possible. I think it has been proven time and time again that those methods actually backfire for weightloss. Many people regain the weight plus some when they go into a plan expecting those kinds of results .. I really think everyone needs to take a step back and think about how to build a lifestyle that they can live with, one that assures weightloss and good health will follow ..
I wish the people who are in the midst of zero-carb would re-evaluate their decision to such an extreme commitment. Much in the same way last year when I was doing Calorie Restriction with Optimal Nutrition.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #856

Hey GG!!!! Girl!!!!

Lora .. I know - I remember wanting to tear my hair out about it when Kimmer was around. I did my best to open dialogue just focusing on common sense, but as with everything in life, most people just have to make their own big mistakes ... such a pity!!!! I think the "quick" route is often the slowest most painful route.

When I had lost most of my weight, I got a few pms that made me sad, people who had gone the quick-weight-loss route, and either were back at their start weight or higher and said they wished they had just found a more reasonable middleground that would have allowed them to actually have a weightloss that lasted .. sad - and unnecessary!

p.s. I can lose weight eating 100 net carbs of good carbs ... why torture myself?

Last edited by TaDa!; 02-12-2009 at 10:20 AM..
Old 02-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #857
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Glamour P!
Stats: Bigger than I should be..73 to go!
WOE: Vegetarian LC/LGL
Start Date: Every moment of everyday.
Hey Pauline -

Sorry I haven't been around or posted a proper response - am a little under the weather at the min. Will post properly when I feel better. Hope you are doing good (as if you would have it any other way!!)
Glamour P! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:42 AM   #858

I hope you feel better GlamourP!!! We are going through something here too!!!

February 13, 2008

Both my kids are sick the pst two days - one has a fever of 103. There is no justice in the world I tell you. They have a week off next week too, so I have been feeling a little freaked out about getting in my workouts. Luckily I was able to go this morning, so I am feeling a little better. The next 9 days are going to be very looooong ... aaack!
Old 02-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #859
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GardenGirl639
Stats: 229/restart 201/193/145 5'3 3/4"
Pauline,
I hope everyone is starting to feel better at your house. I can't stand it when my family gets sick in Jan/Feb. As you said, "there is no justice." We all just got over a cold that is going around.

I know that you will find a way to get your workouts in!
GardenGirl639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:43 PM   #860
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Glamour P!
Stats: Bigger than I should be..73 to go!
WOE: Vegetarian LC/LGL
Start Date: Every moment of everyday.
Hey Pauline -

How are your kids feeling this week? Hope it didn't catch you too! Am feeling better thanks! LCing again so I will be calling on you for your expert advice!!
Oooh I had the flax 1 min muffing the yesterday! Mmmmmmmmmyum!! I put in a touch of cinnamon and a touch of ground ginger! Soooo good.
I have a small question - I have xylotol (sp) - on the nutritional info it say per 4g there are 4g carbs - but there is an asterix by it - now when I read the asterix it says only 25% available. What would that mean? I haven't finished DANDR so don't know all terms....
I hope all is well with you and your family.
Keep smiling and inspiring.
G x (TIA)

I'm taking back control...Its my time!

lbs to go....

WATP 26/11/2012
Glamour P! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:47 AM   #861

GP The Xylitol info will not be in DANDR. It's a sugar alcohol, I think? You should post on the "recipe help and suggestions" board for info on that. I use splenda only in my muffins .. I think there is a question as to how many carbs different people absorb in sugar alcohols (sa's). Some do not absorb the carbs and others do ..

February 25, 2009

It was a very tough school vacation week with the kids home. And now I have another one home sick today <sigh> I am hoping to get to the gym anyhow .. Feeling a little stressed out this past week and half and I need to work through it. The gym always helps! I have to make myself go this morning!!

I have another kid home sick today! Ack!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #862

February 26, 2009

Feeling much better! The gym has been great the past two days. Weirdly, suddenly three different people, and one today, suddenly showed up at the gym when I hadn't seen them for close to a year, so it's been a very social two days there which has been very good for my state of mind.

Yesterday I ran about five miles with a guy recovering from knee surgery - so a nice slow chatty run, then today, nearly died running 8 minute miles with another friend and gawd I hope he doesn't show up tomorrow, lol!! He laughs when I tell him he's killing me and then pushes the pace .. He told me he ran farther then he intended to run because I was there. I may have to hide if I see him there tomorrow, lol!
Old 02-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #863
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Pauline, glad to hear you got to the gym, had fun being sociable, ran your butt off and on top of that, you're feeling fine!
Wow, you can run a mile in good time. I am stuck at 13 minutes. I guess I'll just have to run faster so I can catch up to you.
I am up to an hour on the elliptical machine. Never thought I'd see that day!
Stay in the zone my friend.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:14 PM   #864

WTG Mavis!!!! 13 minutes is absolutely respectable .. and an hour on the elliptical ..

February 27, 2009

Took a break from running, thank goodness! My friend Barbara was on the elliptical, so I did my entire cardio workout over there yabbering with her .. Thank goodness! My running friend from yesterday showed up in the middle of my workout and I had a good excuse for ditching him! <phew>

Food is good and on track. All is going well! I am trying to get into a new good habit and floss more. I haven't had a cavity in years and had my dentist app't the other day and well, I really need to improve my dental care anyhow .. so that is my new thing the last few days. I have a little calendar I write in every day now, trying my best to check off the following daily (or as scheduled, I should say):

Exercise
Food
Post (online that is)
Teeth

TMI probably .. but hey! it's my journal!!!
Old 02-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #865
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Good to see you doing so well. I hear you on the flossing! I am pretty sure my dentist is going to have a fit when he sees me next.

I really need to get my body moving more. I admire you so much on this journey. You have come so far.

Have a great weekend.
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:56 AM   #866

Dianne I find I have to just shut out the negative thoughts about procrastinating and "Just Do It" .. and I am ALWAYS happy once I have completed some exercise, and ask myself "What the heck was all that whining about? I feel great!" lol! If you just open the door and go for a walk, you'll have done it You don't need any fancy plan!
Old 02-28-2009, 05:48 AM   #867
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Dianne I find I have to just shut out the negative thoughts about procrastinating and "Just Do It" .. and I am ALWAYS happy once I have completed some exercise, and ask myself "What the heck was all that whining about? I feel great!" lol! If you just open the door and go for a walk, you'll have done it You don't need any fancy plan!
Threadjack....Hiya Diane, Come on! You can do it!!
Pauline, I have a love hate relationship with working out but about half way through my routine I start feeling fine and by the end I am feeling so good I can't understand what my whining was about.
Yeah....and hour on the e-machine now. I couldn't even get 4 minutes on it when I started. losing weight and eating healthy has made all the difference. I feel like I'm Rocket Woman now. Hmm, is there a Rocket Woman all ready? No matter cause I am the new and improve version!!!!
Off to find my cape and special secret runners.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:02 PM   #868
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Pauline and Mavis!

I hear you guys. I am leaving for a party very soon but tomorrow I will start walking again. Now I have said it for the whole world to read - I will have to do it. I will report tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:09 PM   #869
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Pauline and Mavis! Bowing to the new Rocket Woman!!

I hear you guys. I am leaving for a party very soon but tomorrow I will start walking again. Now I have said it for the whole world to read - I will have to do it. I will report tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #870

LOL! Mavis!!! Wow Dianne! I saw it in print My day has been interesting vis a vis the exercise ...

March 1, 2009

So, I have been taking the weekend off from exercise .. but tomorrow we are due 15 inches of Snow during the day and I am quite sure the kids will be home with a snow day, so I planned to head out the door to the gym this morning ... only to realize that dh's race (a little 4 miler) was at 11 am and not at 1 pm like I thought ...

So, I get ready, decide not to eat lunch etc so I can go to the gym when he comes home .. but when he gets home, we have a few inches of freshly fallen snow - no biggie - but dh says the roads are really bad and slippery, the road crews aren't out yet, etc, so I decide wth, I'll go run in the woods for an hour.

I get all geared up, head out the back, start making my way through the woods to the trails, and realize there is a thick layer of ice under the snow. I make my way gingerly down the hill, and start to run on the trail below only to realize if I continue I'll be in danger of twisting an ankle or breaking a leg, so I turn back, carefully carefully climb up the icy hill ...

still no exercise!

and I really really do not want to work out on the treadmill.

So, I pull out a Billy Blanks Boxing Taebo dvd I got for free after rebate and did it with my 8 year old who only kicked me twice and punched me once, lol!