LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2008, 05:52 AM   #511
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: WATCH-ME-SHRINK
Stats: 168, Size 12/138 lowest/goal 148 5'7
WOE: Carb rotations/mod carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Yes, I have found my weight has shifted some. At least I think it has ... something funny I noticed, I did have a period of overeating / binge eating last fall. I did exercise through it, which for me is lots of cardio and weight training with heavy weight 4x week. I gained weight which I have now taken off ... well, I notice being back at this same weight, my body fat is lower than before, so some of that weight gain was muscle gain due to the combination of overeating and weight training and I seem to have maintained the muscle despite losing "weight" back down to goal. So that may be part of it?

I imagine on maintenance when you have certain "higher" food days, as would happen naturally and you exercise, your body is going to put on muscle and muscle definitely changes appearance without necessarily changing your weight ... kind of a natural unplanned "cycling" effect like the bodybuilders do? Maybe something to check out once we are back to happily maintaining.

TaDa.....wise words/insight. May I second that?

WATCH-ME-SHRINK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2008, 09:51 AM   #512

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Oh Twyla, I am most grateful whenever one of my idols will second something, I am only speculating on!! lol!!! Thanks for the confirmation!

Pauline
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #513
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: quizzical1
Stats: 207/163/145 5'7
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 1-January-2008
Happy Birthday, I love your journal, have a super day xx
quizzical1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #514

Gallery: debbiedo
Stats: pretty close to perfect!
WOE: mindful eating/running off the pounds
Start Date: over and over again
Yes Happy Birthday. I was wondering how your MIL is doing.
debbiedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:50 PM   #515

Thanks Quizzical! and Deb! Happy I am still kicking

Deb MIL is stable and they haven't yet received results of the brain scan. Her speech has unfortunately been affected and though her limbs have movement, she isn't really using them ... so they have put her down for both speech therapy and physical therapy ... she has alzheimer's and just recently went into a facility, where she was doing amazingly well, very happy (many of the alzheimer's patients are not!) and liking it there, so this is just a real bummer - we are hoping she'll be able to get back there, but they have to be ambulatory, ya know!

Actually it's a funny story - she too was a nurse and she actually worked in the very same home after she married and had children!! They are very very kind to her there (she is one of them!) but I think half the time she was going 'round as if she still worked there, checking patients charts, turning the heat up and down, etc, lol!! probably why it was actually a great experience for her and she thrived much more than when she was at home ... but ... oh well!!

April 19, 2008

Anyhoooooo ... Had a great tough workout today, ate well and hopefully I can continue this way while I am away! I am off to a Passover seder in a few minutes and then to CT and then to NYC! lol!! I'll probably check back in tomorrow before I leave for NYC, Have a great weekend everybody!!!
Old 04-21-2008, 05:19 AM   #516

April 21, 2008 Morning

Doing really well, both yesterday in CT and hanging with my sister in New York. She is back on her Eat To Live program by Dr. Joel Fuhrman - if you think it's hard for us to eat out, etc ... you she see what she's on. The book version is vegan /med fat. It is more for living your life on natural foods, etc than a diet per se.

Her version is very lowfat, and fish 2-4x a week, so not quite vegan luckily! - She actually met with the doctor twice and is on a version of his program that will help with weightloss, cancer and another medical conditions she has - so she does not even eat everything in that plan ...

Anyhow, I can see that she is very happy that I do not "need" to eat out too much, etc and am quite happy to cook and eat in .. needless to say, I am having an easy time of it, except for the temptation of all the mangoes and sunflower seeds flying around ... looked up mango and it's not too bad! Like 17 carbs, 80 calories for a half which is like having a small apple .. At my mom's house I noticed some packages of CocoaVia chocolate bars and those look like a possible add-in for me, 80 calories, 12 carbs - some of the ingredients were iffy, but maybe I can find one that works for me for maintenance. I love chocolate!

At this point I have worked out hard for 7 days anticipating my trip. Yesterday on the rowingmachine at my mom's for an hour was back-breaking and my arms are mush today! .. and we are planning to go to the gym today here and meet up with my crazy health nut uncle (by marriage, my aunt passed away some years ago) and his new wife -should be fun, except I'll probably get that "Oh my god look at you!" thing, lol!! I'll probably tailor my owrkout around howmuch time my sister usually spends there since my workouts can get lengthy ... I'd love to do 40 cardio + 40 leg weights , but I think she does an hour cardio ... whatever I get in will be good I guess!
Old 04-21-2008, 07:01 AM   #517
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Colo Alex
Stats: 297/231/<200 (6'0", 47 y.o.)
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Back on track 9/7/11
Happy Birthday Pauline! Sorry it's late.
Colo Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:43 AM   #518

Thanks Alex

April 22, 2008 morning

Went to my sister's gym yesterday and met up with my uncle who goes there. I had a solid workout, 40 min cardio + 40 min weights. I am very impressed with how hard my sister is working. She did an hour of cardio on the elliptical and has a hard time keeping her heart rate in the right fat-burning range as it shoots right up to 85%+ even when she feels she is going slowly. Her food regime is pretty sparse but she does have lots and lots of delicious veg and fruit, no dairy, no oil ... way more healthy than me, lol!!!

Last night we went out to dinner with my uncle and his wife and had a lot of fun! They took me to an organic healthy restaurant. Three of us shared an appetizer of grilled calamari with pineapple and I had a salad with tofu and a few chickpeas for the main courseand a couple of glasses of wine. Before we left the house, I ******'ed the wine, tuna, tofu and calamari (squid) soI'd have an idea of how much I was eating. I also decided to eat a smaller afternoon snack and not have my second flax muffin. I feel really proud this morning when I ******'ed and it came out to the same as it would have been on my usual menu. I am officially giving myself a pat on the back .. I really like that darn muffin and to decide to forgo the second one so that I could eat a big dinner out was a good job! yay me!

My uncle's wife took some cute candid pix of me and my sis laughing ... so I'll probably have an updated avatar in a few days ... today is the big hair day so to speak...Dsis has been ragging on me and my 80s hairstyle ... claiming she's gonna tell the hairdresser to cut it all off ... hmmmm, so lord knows what will happen to me today!!!! lol!

OK off to the gym ..that's another story ...maybe later ...
Old 04-22-2008, 05:09 AM   #519

great job on the eating and the exercise. can't wait to hear about the hair or see a new picture.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:37 AM   #520

Thanks Deb!!

April 23, 2008

Well my hair is a dark blonde now, with a reddish cast to it. She took a colorfrom in my hair (it's like three colors) and used that ... and they cut it to my shoulders. I haven't really had time to play with it, but I think I like it. I'll have to get someone to take pictures!

I have been very virtuous and on plan the past few days! Finally today will be an exercise rest day - I do need one pretty desperately!

Back to CT on the train today, overnight at my folks and then back home tomorrow ... trains, planes and automobiles!
Old 04-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #521
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
Sounds like a great time in NY. I can't wait to see the new "do".
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #522

Hey Diane!!! Yeah ... not so sure I like the 'do now that I'm home, lol!! I'll have to get someone to snap a piccy!

April 25, 2008

Doing well despite the crazy week. I was a saint in NYC, exercise and food-wise ... went to CT and had one meal where I overate ... but not too bad! the last two days I have done 60 minutes of cardio each day -- which is actually a little too much on a daily basis, but now I feel like I can take my weekend rest days in peace - no reciminations, so that's really good.

Spring break week so it is really crazy! DH took the day off and we went into Boston, ate in an outdoor cafe on Newbury Street (I was soooooooo virtuous I make myself ill) and cruised the stores. After the hour of cardio in the a.m., and all the walking, I am exhaustified (to use one of my kids' favorite expressions). The rest of the weekend will probably be crazy as well, but I know I'll get through it!

NYC was fun, but it is really good to get home!!!
Old 04-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #523

April 26, 2008

Bought a suit today for a luncheon next Saturday. It is so funny, I am drawn to the same sort of clothes as I was when I was bigger. So I ended up with a 6p, but eventually will get the skirt taken in to fit better. I had to get something asap and pretty much bought the first one that looked good on me -- it is a bit conservative, but will probably be a useful piece in my wardrobe.

Shopping for hours and I wasn't even hungry - skipped a snack time. DD and I came up with a new weightloss plan while shopping ... shopping malls without food concessions ... you go and are locked in for several hours of exercise and clothing reality check ... I was exhausted after shopping .. so I must have gotten *some* exercise, right?!
Old 04-27-2008, 08:09 AM   #524
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreamseeds
Stats: 184/132/130 RESTART 157
WOE: Atkins right now
Start Date: June 1, 2005
Happy late birthday Pauline
dreamseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #525

Thanks dreamseeds

April 27, 2008

I have been feeling weirdly in ketosis for the past month or so, or more solidly in it than usual (??) Whatever that means - like maybe there is a distinct difference with me at 60 net carbs than there is with me at 70 net carbs? I lose weight no problem at 70 net carbs, but maybe that is where I start to come out of ketosis? Something to take notice of! Did some ****** reports:

April average:
1908 cals 61 net carbs
Lost: 3.5 lbs

March average:
1822 cals 70 net carbs
Lost: 5.5 lbs

Feb Average:
1858 - 65 net carbs
Lost: 3.3 lbs

The next couple of nights I will be at choral practice - our concert is this weekend and this is going to be a crazy week - too many "events" to even start complaining about!! lol!! Thankfully I got all four of our outfits pretty much all set for next Saturday luncheon-thingy in CT - that takes one big stressor off the todo list for me! I also made "the list" so I won't screw up and forget something, lol!! Should be ok!
Old 04-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #526

Pauline, it sounds like you have everything well organized and are ready for your busy week.

When I lived in Boston I loved going to Newbury Street.You rpost brought back some memories for me. Hope you had a good time there.

Do you really need to be in Ketosis to lose weight? I don't think so. I still believe it is all about calories. I think Ketosis helps with appetite control. Of course I can eat even if I am not hungry. I think you lose at a very nice pace. Not too fast by any means.

Personally I am trying to eat healthy 80% of the time. I am trying not to eat junk but I am not going for perfection anymore in my life. I would prefer to lose 5-6 pounds but I am not trying very hard.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #527

You are right Deb ... I seem to lose whether "deeply" in ketosis or not - I just like to know as much as I can about myself to help make decisions. It might be useful to know, for instance, say I was trying to eat 100 net carbs and figured out my appetite was going out of control ... I could simply go back to 60 net carbs to get back into ketosis .. no need for induction for the appetite suppressing action ya know? lol! I am trying to gather as much information as possible along the way. I am sure it would drive another more normal person insane, lol!!! but it makes me happy to figure this stuff out ...

I'm a little ocd! lol!!!

Old 04-28-2008, 10:58 AM   #528
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Colo Alex
Stats: 297/231/<200 (6'0", 47 y.o.)
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Back on track 9/7/11
Hi Pauline. Just curious, have you started running in the woods again? It's 75 here today so my hike will be perfect!!

Hope your busy week goes well.
Colo Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:48 PM   #529

Oh You are a lucky man Alex!!! We have had some beautiful weather, but Spring around here is very very muddy ... lots of hills, but in between the hills ... well, mud wrestling central! I am also being careful with my foot - no uneven footing for running until I am healed more!! I see the doc in two weeks and get the medical process rolling I guess - resting has not seemed to cure the problem, lol!!! I envy you your mountains these days

April 29, 2008

I am half way through a book Eat, Drink and Be Healthy by Walter C. Willett of the Harvard School of Public Health c2001. This is the book that was written about a new food pyramid that has a more lc approach and jives with a lot, but not all of the stuff us lc'ers follow. It is interesting from many angles and I will write a very brief summary when I am finished as to what applies to me and some possible dietary changes I might make ... I am coming to this with a very bad attitude, lol! One I have these days that I am not willing to sacrifice anything more in the way of foods, that if I make changes they must be ones that I will not really notice as I am happy with the way I eat for weightloss and maintenance right now. Somehow I have come up with things that I truly truly like!!!

Carbs One topic that is very very interesting is his discussion of carbs ... it is very along the lines of Dr. Atkins, South Beach and so on. That it is critical to cut refined carbs from the diet and to go for the nutritious whole grain foods. He really wants us to stay away from potatoes and discusses the glycemic index.

Oddly enough, this information comes to me at a time when I have been thinking about what tempts me "off plan" and I have come to the conclusion that it is, without a doubt #1 Potatoes, #2 Foods made with white flour, like Pizza, Pasta, Onion Rings, Fried Fish. Sugar has no interest for me anymore. Maybe because I have learned to make lc baked goods and like them ... but my point is, I have not incorporated much in the way of whole grains at all in my diet except for some whole grain cheerios (whole oats) because frankly, I do not miss eating bread at home, or rice, or cereal. I like my at-home food. I could care less if I ever tried another highest rung add-in ... does that make me a bad Atkineer?

My two food issues are: 1. I like refined carbs and potatoes, 2. I like to eat more than necessary. I have #2 figured out and am addressing it -- I must continue tracking in ****** on Maintenance. Even when I go out, I can ballpark foods. And I do think this is going to work.

As for #1, liking anything potato and some refined carb foods, my big issue is the not-at-home food and the huge issue is that eating out, you do not have the option of brown rice (usually) or whole grain breads so you can have some healthy maintenance versions of favorites. I guess more and more places are adding these things, but it looks like I have to do my research to discover just which restaurants do serve these things.

"Bad" Carbs is obviously the subject of my next big mission to figure out. How do I feel totally spoiled when I am out at a restaurant that doesn't have a lowcarb fave on the menu. Which restaurants will be able to meet my maintenance needs .... Can anyone say: sweet potato fries??!!
Old 04-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #530

Recipe for spicy sweet potato fries ... looks like a nice maintenance treat I can make the whole family! Even my sister who is on a verson of Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Livecould have this one I think!

spicy sweet potato wedges plus five etceteras | smitten kitchen

Roasted Spiced Sweet Potatoes
Adapted from Gourmet, January 2002

Active time: 10 min Start to finish: 45 min
Servings: Makes 4 to 6 servings.

1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes (the latter will make them quite spicy, so using according to your preferences)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 pounds medium sweet potatoes
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 425°F.

Coarsely grind coriander, fennel, oregano, and red pepper flakes in an electric coffee/spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle. Stir together spices and salt.

Cut potatoes lengthwise into 1-inch wedges.

Toss wedges with oil and spices in a large roasting pan and roast in middle of oven 20 minutes. Turn wedges over with a spatula and roast until tender and slightly golden, 15 to 20 minutes more.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #531

I love sweet potato fries and have made chips but I want to eat them all. I used a recipe from Runners World. Essentially sliced sweet potatoes tossed with oil, salt and garlic and placed in single layer on cookie sheet and roasted at 450 degrees until browned turning once. I would have to look up actual recipe from website.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:39 AM   #532

LOL! Debbie!! I am sure that is how I will feel as well! lol!!! Your recipe looks really good too!!! I do have a plan though ... I would weigh my sweet potato and would make myself a seperate pan - only a single serving - and I'd control it that way. I'd make a seperate pan with a bunch of potatoes for the family ... they'd scarf them alll down instantly anyhow, lol! I just know I'd be the same as you heck, it's such a healthy dish!! lol!!
Old 05-01-2008, 03:59 AM   #533

May 1, 2008 Morning

OK, I felt I just had to weigh this morning, being as it is May 1 and I broke into my four pound goal weight buffer! Yay! I am at 134.25 I have felt thinner the past few days and I guess I was! lol!! So, my "goal weight" is really 130-135, with 135 as the top acceptable weight as Dr. Atkins specifies as the time "to go back on induction." In my case, I will not do induction again probably, but it will mean the time for a return to weightloss levels for me.

I'm going to leave my "goal weight" on the boards as 135, but I will want to stay as close to 130 as humanly possible. It is funny, I went and re-read my journal from 2006 and read about my mother and aunt cornering me to tell me "don't lose anymore weight." I weighed 128. I was annoyed: TaDa! The Lifelong Journey!!

And then when I did get to 123, my lowest (as I've said before here), so many people, even people I barely know were approaching me to tell me I had lost too much weight and should put some back on. A lot of them were men at my gym

Why am I talking myself through all this again? It is really hard to convince myself that I am at the right weight. It appears that no matter how thin I get, I still have the same body flaws that bug me, they just are proportional to however big I am in general, lol!!! Additional weightloss is not the answer.

Anyhooooo, I have decided!! and today I'm there, 134, yay! Go me!!!!
Old 05-01-2008, 05:07 PM   #534

May 2, 2008

Had a nice avocado today ... yum! Why do I forget about all these good Atkins worthy foods!!! Fabulous mashed on half an lc pita with sliced onion and salt. Way yum!

Another interesting topic in Eat, Drink and Be Healthy by Walter C. Willett is that of:

Fats Like Atkins, Willett supports the eating of plenty of good fats, rather than the lowfat lifestyle ... however he speaks of the dangers of both transfats and saturated animal fats and prescribes a diet of vegetable proteins and lean meats - to stay away from dairy fat and fatty meat focusing instead on vegetable oils really, ya know: olive oil, flaxseed, etc etc.

His prescription mimics the Amrican Heart Association guidelines for 20 g saturated fat, or 10% of the diet ... So, what the heck, I am on Maintenance, or close enough, so I took a look at my intake and found myself at 30 gm - which he states is the average American intake - mine is mostly from dairy and from eggs and so I have decided to lower mine just to hedge my bets especially since it will be very easy for me.

I will take out 1 ounce of cheese and substitute other fatty foods, like today's avocado, and will exchange the 2.5 T butter (18.75 gm sat fat) with 2.5 T of Smart Balance (6 gm sat fat, 0 transfats) for a savings of an additional 12.5 gms bringing me to the recommended levels .. simple.

I know we all are so behind Dr. Atkins and his way and I have so many reasons to thank him - heck, I owe him! But seeing as I am already mostly vegetarian, why not go for those recommendations too ... I am keeping my fat level constant, just swapping out some saturated for mono and polyunsaturated. I think that there is still so much we do not know - like why Atkins works and lowers people cholesterol, etc etc - that, if I can meet my own needs and more than one set of health recommendations, why not do it??!

I have more topics from this book to think about and will post as I feel like writing .. I am currently in the recipe section of the book, lol! so almost done!
Old 05-02-2008, 12:26 PM   #535
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GardenGirl639
Stats: 229/189/145 5'3 3/4"
Hi, Pauline.

Happy Belated Birthday!

Sounds like you are doing well.

Things are looking better at my house.
GardenGirl639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #536

I am soo sooooooo glad you are back .. I was really starting to worry.

May 2, 2008

Well It is going to be a CRAZY weekend starting in an hour or two so I may not be back in here for a bit - probably Sunday morning. I am off to CT to my folks overnight and then to a Bar Mitzvah that is a drive away from them, then back home in the same day as I have a Spring Concert on Sunday - performing Handel's Messiah (all we like sheep ....). I packed an entire day's meals for tomorrow just in case ... it is hard being a vegetarian at functions like these, never mind a lc one!! lol!!!

Today at my gym, one of the Cambodian ladies who seems to always have an eye on me, told me with amazement, "You got skinny!" and I was in my semi-amorphous gym gear, so I am feeling better and better about goal weight being around here somewhere. I am sure I will hear the same tomorrow from family I have not seen in a good few years ... since at least a size 10 suit, lol! (I am about a size 4 suit now).

Back to: Eat, Drink and Be Healthy by Walter C. Willett

Healthy Weight / BMI Willett says that 23-25 BMI is still essentially too fat for many people and still has some higher health risks associated with it, than being lower weight. He would like us all to be lower than a BMI of 23 <sigh> and actually wants to banish the lower limit of 18 BMI, stating that the statistics for mortality below 18 BMI are skewed by those already ill who have simply lost weight due to illness

My weight today, 134, leaves me just below a 24 BMI. And my "goal weight" which I am thinking now is 130-135, will leave me at a BMI of 23-24 .. Ugh. I was just under 22 BMI before (the highest acceptable level to Willett) and everyone I know and people I didn't know were telling me I looked bony and haggard.

I was feeling discouraged and confused about this, but the more I think about it, the more I think I am making a smart choice for right now, at 23-24 BMI. My face still looks ok when I see it looking back out of the mirror at me .. I'll ask my doctor his opinion on "healthy weight" when I see him in 2 weeks.

But truth be told, nothing is ever written in stone and I can always choose to go back down a bit in weight if I so desire. Dr. Atkins gave me all the tools I need
Old 05-04-2008, 04:43 AM   #537

May 4, 2008 morning

Yesterday went really well. I had packed an entire days' food and ended up eating only breakfast, lunch and and extra muffin from what I brought. I really did an amazing job. I have never seen such an amazing amount and quality of food at a wedding or any such similiar event - and I have been to some pretty fancy 'dos. At the hors d'oeuvres part, EVERYONE thought that was the actual meal - me included!!! I stayed away from all the special "stations" and stayed near the table with smoked salmon and marinated vegetables and loaded up on that.

At a certain point, I decided to just start eating some cold dipping veggies - celery and cauliflower because I was feeling soooooo tempted to go see what was all around the room, lol! Amazingly, I also decided not to have any alcoholic drinks whatsoever, although it was open bar and even after having waiters taking drinks orders when we were finally at the table.

So for the main meal, I ate the salad and sashimi and ordered salmon and ate that and asparagus leaving the amazing-looking potatoes. I actually did feel that I overate - but considering what was on offer??!! I skipped the chocolate covered strawberries, chocolate berry tarts, halvah and the mid-course sorbet palate cleanser ... aaack!!!!!!

How happy was I to get home finally, ****** it and see that I had eaten about 2200 calories, 61 net carbs ... just below maintenance level for the day!!! And then this morning ... a whoosh of another pound to 133!

A few weird things ... at least two relatives did not recognize me. One asked where I worked, assuming that was how I got my invite ... Other folks were just fawning all over me, and even caught one or two staring. Just one nasty comment - well, maybe not nasty, but it made me feel bad - when she saw me, made a comment about how big and heavy I was the last time she saw me "years ago." She's actually seen me since, just did not know it probably.

I suppose it is a very very good exercise since my 25th highschool reunion is in a month and I will probably have the same kind of embarassing mixed reactions ... I used to have this all the time when I first lost my weight, but have really been kind of out of practice on this as everyone in my day-to-day life has moved on from the "weightloss" thing and just come to accept that this is the way I am now ..

Long post today!

As for getting to 133, That is 3 pounds from the lowest weight I want to hit. I am going to make that breakfast bar today .. adds like 13 net carbs and 100 calories more (has oats, peanut butter, etc) than currently and will add it in tomorrow and see what happens.

Concert this afternoon ... 3 hours in heels on a riser with a pulled quad and a heel spur ... should be interesting!
Old 05-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #538

May 5, 2008

Ooh Boy!

Breakfast was incredibly disappointing! I made a recipe for bars from the Muscle Matters recipe thread sticky and it came out like pudding glop. I ate it this morning, but took the other 7 servings and put them through the disposal .... waaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!! It was not even edible!

So I found another recipe for a no-bake cookie that uses peanut butter and oatmeal (20 net carbs) and quickly made some for tomorrow .. From my teensy taste test, I think these are going to be good - not sure if they'll be good enough to keep as a daily breakfast ... I'll report on it tomorrow and post a link to the recipe in case anyone else is interested.

It is kind of weird, I have been forcing myself to eat more and it's like I instinctively want to cut stuff out as the day progresses. I guess my body kinda knows the level I have been eating at and wants to keep the food at that level .. but I will keep working on this and get it right!!

I have been branching out in my eating, getting more variety the last few weeks and it has been really enjoyable. I don't know why I never let myself do that on the weightloss portion - maybe it is just easiest mentally for me to know what works for weightloss and not to risk it with changes?

Lately I have had fried mushrooms, avocadoes, scottish smoked salmon, made all kinds of baked goods ... it's great! They're all "legal"! LOL!!

I need to come up with more stuff to start making for myself:

stir fried cabbage
artichokes
peaches
scallops
...Recipes from my old veg cookbooks:
squash casserole
Tofu Spinach quiche
Couchara Eggplant
Lentil Stew
Old 05-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #539

May 6, 2008

Well, the no-bake "cookie" was just fine for breakfast and it actually kept me full from 6 am when I had it, through a 1.5 hour workout, up until 12 noon ... It tasted both peanut butter-y and chocolate-y to me. Unlike a regular cookie, it was a bit pasty like some of the protein bars - but it really is perfect for me as I will not be tempted to have it more than the once a day.

Here is the recipe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post

No Bake Cookies

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups Splenda
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup milk
1 pinch salt
3 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
In a saucepan bring Splenda, cocoa, margarine, milk, and salt to a rapid boil for 1 minute.
Add quick cooking oats, peanut butter, and vanilla; mix well.
Working quickly, drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper, and let cool.

Store in refrigerator to keep them firm.
from this thread: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...d-cookies.html

The three differences, 1) I did not have cocoa on hand so I used a 1/2 oz of baking chocolate which was perfect, 2) I used all natural chunky peanut butter and 3) I used the equivalent measure of liquid splenda.

I also made my first batch of flax muffins using Smart Balance instead of butter and I really liked the texture of the "dough". It was much easier to get it into the muffin tin evenly and the texture and taste is just fine.

Just call me Suzie Homemaker ..

Last edited by TaDa!; 05-06-2008 at 04:58 PM..
Old 05-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #540

May 7, 2008

Well, I am going to try an experiment tomorrow morning and not have the no-bake cookie .. substituting in another breakfast with a similiar calorie and carb count .. I just am having a feeling that this might be a stalling combination for me ... and I still want to take off four more pounds ...

On the good side - the really really good side - the no-bake has kept me feeling full for the whole morning til lunch!!! It really will be a pity if I have to wait a few weeks on it, but, hey! I'll live, lol! I still am unsure what exactly in it would be the stalling element ... and am wondering if it is the carb level itself or the ingredients, but I can't come to any conclusions til I play with it a little .. onward!