Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #301
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
I think at some time, those of us who become overoccupied with the scale - I was too - have to confront that problem, or suffer the consequences of setting up a little dictator in our lives ... either, the weight stops coming off because the scale dictates our attitude toward our daily life rather than allowing us to normalize all of this, or we gain some weight back, or both.
Oh, how I struggle with the evil metal box!
As hard as I've tried, I've not been able to stay from the darn thing.
And, sadly, I do believe it perpetuates my bingeing...

I'll be away fro a short while, Pauline.
I wanted you to know that I'll be thinking of you as we continue fighting the good fight.

Take care and be well!

I'll catch up with you after February 10th,
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2008, 05:12 PM   #302
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
February 1, 2008

Today I did do the strength class and the two ladies showed up this time, lol! One of the crueler features of these classes is that you have to view yourself in the mirror while performing feats of torture ... well, while viewing my contortions, I decided, "Hey! I look kinda cute!" and I did! One of my new friends told someone else (in front of me) that I am her inspiration -- it's kinda funny / strange how I am "popular" at my gym, serious weightlifting or athletic people who don't talk to anyone else, talk to me, give me "respect." It means a lot to me. I struggle as much as anyone else, but funny, many people think I am so dedicated / hardworking, etc. and they really have no idea at all, lol! I have to say though, it makes me proud to be me to get such respect ... respect I never ever gave myself before starting this Atkins journey.

As profound and important as what I have done is to me, somehow it has changed me so much - in spirit - that othes recognize my confidence, or happiness, or something, and that confidence and happiness is in itself attractive to other people. It is its own reward ... weird!

OK, so you read the post and now I'll fess up ... just polished off a bottle of wine with dh, hence the gibberish! lol! At our usual Friday night dinner, we celebrated our 7 yo's first basket at basketball in gym class! She was so excited for her accomplishment and then one of the other girls said to her, "big deal! Who cares about your basket?!!!" The meanie!! so we decided to dedicate tonight's celebration to her basket! Which definitely deserved a big deal made of it ... I am raising a new generation of little athletic girls! Yeah baby!!!

Another good day ...
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #303
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GardenGirl639
Stats: 229/restart 201/193/145 5'3 3/4"
Yeah for another good day!

That comment from that mean girl reeks of jealousy! Congratulations to your daughter!

You know what I find neat about you? As much as you radiate confidence and deserve respect, you are very kind.

Have a great night with your husband and kids!
GardenGirl639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #304

Thanks so much Elizabeth. You are too sweet!!!
Old 02-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #305

February 2, 2008

Today DH and I split up the kids as one had a doctor's appointment and the other had a birthday party ... so my eldest and I snuck out to the mall and had a little shopping spree. I bought myself the cutest handbag and spent way more than I usually would have spent ... but I deserve it!! lol!!

When we got home from the mall I was unusually hungry and I just could not quell the hunger. I hate times like this! I ended up having an orange extra from what I would have usually had and am well within "weight-losing" calories and carbs. It just disturbs me that I needed more food today, lol!

My stomach feels a little sore from strength class yesterday. I guess I worked a different ab area than I usually do which is great but I secretly have to say I do not like classes so much, lol lol!!! We'll see how long I'll keep it up!

Old 02-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #306
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Charms
Stats: Here we go again!

Charms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:08 AM   #307

Ohmigosh Nancy!!!! I was looking for you!!! So nice to see you Have a great time in England!!! (I know you will )

Pauline
Old 02-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #308

February 3, 2008

Well I had a very virtuous Sunday ... Got in a full ... unplanned ... workout this afternoon right before the Superbowl and some good positive reinforcement from a couple of the boys there, lol ... I look a bit butch in my workout gear .. 'cause I don't need attention when I'm getting it done and then people are surprised when they see me outside the gym ...... (Which I guess is a good thing that I can look like a girl sometimes )

Anyhow, good day!

(Go Pats)
Old 02-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #309
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Colo Alex
Stats: 297/231/<200 (6'0", 47 y.o.)
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Back on track 9/7/11
Pauline!
Colo Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:07 PM   #310

Alex!!! Glad you're back!!!!

February 4, 2008

I have choral practice tonight and will probably be too tired to post afterward! I have been feeling thin the last few days ... not thin thin, but just felt much better physically. I guess what I am trying to say is that I no longer **feel** fat which is really really great!! I hope I can just keep coasting like this back to my goal weight.

I have a doctor's appointment in April and I guess I'll find out what my weight is then as my regular physician has given them orders (a nurse blabbed and that's how I know) to always weigh me whenever I come in to the health center. Very annoying as I know he is watching me to see how I do ... he was the doctor who was so shocked and, by his questions, I think he thought I had had gastric surgery, lol!! when I had a checkup after losing the weight.

The doctor I will be seeing for lady stuff in April has not seen me since before I lost all my weight ... LOL! She is the one who told me to only try to get to 150, that it was enough for women of "our age." I felt a little insulted at the time - as she is a string bean herself ... anyhoooooooooooo

Where was I? Oh yeah, I've been feeling thin. Yay me!
Old 02-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #311
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah, you, for felling thin!!

Have fun at choral practice tonight. What are you singing next?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #312
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Thefarmerswife
Stats: 233/169/133
WOE: Modified South Beach
Start Date: re-start 6/09 ~ 178
Pauline,
I started reading your journal last night. I only made it to page 3 or 4, but I've got to tell you what an inspiration you are. Last night I was reading what you said about self esteem and how you wear your stretch marks, lumps, bumps etc.. as a badge of honor for motherhood and the extraordinary battle you've been through and it really struck a cord with me. I never thought of it that way. I've hated my body since I gave birth to my first child. I've researched plastic surgery for months, thinking I needed to get rid of every reminder of the diet/weight failure I was. The idea of embracing my imperfections just never occurred to me... Maybe thats the media's influence...Anyways, I just wanted to say thank you for the wake up call. I'm still planning on tummy tuck but I know my hubby loves me imperfections and all and he is the only one who will ever see the rest.

I can't wait to read more! Thanks for being so candid with your binge eating struggles too.
Thefarmerswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:50 AM   #313

Hi Elizabeth! We're doing Handel's Messiah in May ... you know the Alleluia chorus I'm sure Most groups perform it around Christmastime, so it should be different, lol! Last night's practice was interesting .. only 12 sopranos showed up - of which I am one (yikes!) and about 30 altos. Scary!!!

Hi Beth ... that's my middle name Thank you so much for your kind words! As a momma to six, you should be proud!!! and wow! look what you've accomplished -- 60 pound weightloss!! A person does not have to do anything to have a perfect body, but be very young, follow a reasonable lifestyle and have great genes ... and we may not have any of that, but we have so much more ... our children, our life experience, pride in our ability to battle such a huge problem in our lives ... the other thing, well, it's only skin deep.

Nothing wrong with wanting to get plastic surgery either, though!!! as long as you are doing it for yourself!!!!!

Pauline
Old 02-05-2008, 08:23 AM   #314
Major LCF Poster!

I have a funny story about Handel's Messiah. Hopefully it won't ruin it for you. LOL

One year, as part of one of the curriculums we were using to homeschool my oldest daughter, we (she) studied Handel's Messiah. There is a part that goes something like: "We like sheep, We like sheep, Have gone astray." This struck my daughter as very funny because it sounded like the choir was singing "We like sheep!" "We like sheep!" and the rest of the stanza was lost to her. So, we go around the house every now and then singing..."We like sheep!" "We like sheep!" I'm not sure that the humor has translated here, but I hope it brought a smile to your face.

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."-Thomas Edison
"I never failed once. It just happened to be a 2000 step process"-Thomas Edison
"It's never too late to be who you might have been"-George Eliot
Dream it, talk it, live it. -Rose Fitzgerald
Old 02-05-2008, 08:47 AM   #315

Oh ... we have a lot of jokers in the chorus ... and I am certain we will be snickering at that one too!!!! lol!!!!

Actually our last concert - The seasons - there was a part we kept flubbing until the chorus director told us it started the same way as the theme for the Flintstones ... and last night we had a measure or two of West Side Story ... and then there was the Norwegian piece that kept talking about "looseh sluut" ... well, I'm sure you can just imagine

Now I will think of both of you when I get to the part where I get to be a sheep
Old 02-05-2008, 08:57 AM   #316
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh ... we have a lot of jokers in the chorus ... and I am certain we will be snickering at that one too!!!! lol!!!!

Actually our last concert - The seasons - there was a part we kept flubbing until the chorus director told us it started the same way as the theme for the Flintstones ... and last night we had a measure or two of West Side Story ... and then there was the Norwegian piece that kept talking about "looseh sluut" ... well, I'm sure you can just imagine
Oh my! That's funny.

Quote:
Now I will think of both of you when I get to the part where I get to be a sheep
Ewe's so nice.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #317
Major LCF Poster!

For my money.. you can't beat the Flintstones theme!!
Old 02-05-2008, 06:32 PM   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenGirl639 View Post
Ewe's so nice.
I believe my groan can be heard across the country ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo Alex View Post
For my money.. you can't beat the Flintstones theme!!
And then there's Alex, I did have you pegged as a highbrow ...

Old 02-05-2008, 06:36 PM   #319

February 5, 2008

I am just bursting with happiness today ... It was icy and I had to drive a fair distance to a Physical Therapy appointment for dd and if traffic hit, the timing might have been very iffy, so I decided to do an hour of cardio at home ... I RAN I RAN I RAN for an hour!!! OK - it was on the treadmill and not the road or woods but my heel spur did not bother me at all during the run, and my foot still feels ok ... I have to reserve judgement though until I wake up tomorrow morning.

In the past year whenever I have run any distance (usually only a mile or two), I have been unable to walk for a few days, so we shall see!!!!! I also took it very slow and made a point to minimize the impact of my foot on the tread. Funny thing, since I started that new murderous strength class ... OTHER parts of my legs were bothering me, lol!! I think they were just complaining because I was not doing the routine that has become the norm and that my body has become very efficient at doing. I hope toi get some fringe benefits from changing up the exercise routine ... maybe burn up some extra fat in the process.

I feel very pleased with myself and my sweet little heel spur today! Let's just hope I don't wake up crying ..

Old 02-06-2008, 03:32 AM   #320

February 6, 2008 Morning Update

No tears! No tears! No tears! I can feel the foot twinge a little, but definitely not anything bad. I took 2 ibuprofen last night before bed to help with any inflammation ... Ohmigosh!!! Am I back??!! I've been telling everyone it would take a year ... and, I'll be damned, but it has been about a year!!!!!

Now I just have to control myself ... no running for another week and then, I'll allow myself maybe only 20 minutes on the track instead of the treadmill ..
Old 02-06-2008, 07:04 AM   #321
Major LCF Poster!

I am very happy for you! Keep taking it slow. You'll be running cross country in no time!
Old 02-06-2008, 07:46 AM   #322
Major LCF Poster!

I'm so happy for you!!!
Old 02-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #323

Gallery: debbiedo
Stats: pretty close to perfect!
WOE: mindful eating/running off the pounds
Start Date: over and over again
WTG Pauline. I don't know if I could have held back from running. I would go through running withdrawal. What I did was cut back and change my focus from racing to just running. I do race but less then I did last year. I lasted three weeks without running. Thankfully my doctor said do what I feel comfortable with because I am the one who has to live with the pain.
debbiedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #324

Thanks everyone!!!

Deb - I didn't have any choice in regard to the running. Even a 5 or 10 minute run meant I could not walk for the next week. It was really great to learn how to cross-train efficiently.

There is a marathon runner at the gym who broke his leg and was looking so forward to get on the elliptical ... we were chatting and he told me, that when he was sidelined with an injury before Boston one year and was not allowed to train up until the week before the marathon, he would go on the elliptical for up to 2 hours at a time to simulate the effort of a long run and in fact, that year at Boston, he was in the best racing form of his life ...

Made me happy to hear as I'd already spent the good part of a year on the infernal machine ...
Old 02-06-2008, 11:01 AM   #325

Gallery: debbiedo
Stats: pretty close to perfect!
WOE: mindful eating/running off the pounds
Start Date: over and over again
In the movie Spirit of the Marathon Dena Kastor has to stop her running for 6-8 weeks and cross trained and went on to win the Chicago Marathon that year. Her cross training was intense with lots of biking and water running. Water running is a great alternative if one can't bear weight.

By the way this movie will show one more time later this month and I highly recommend it. I think if you google Spirit of the Marathon you can find out more. It will show one more time in select theaters and then come out in DVD later. It was great to see. Sitting in an audience full of runners and many friends was great too. We even talk about seeing it again that one last day. I need to check the date again.

I cross train very hard on Wednesdays and do not run. I do weights, elliptical intervals, stair machine, and power walk and also abs and stretching. I only work my upper body with weights. I also do Pilates 2x most weeks along with running 4 days a week. I wasn't sure I would be able to run again but the epidurals worked and I stopped running for 3 weeks and came back gradually. I feel like I am back now. Do I get back pain?? Absolutely but not as bad as it was.

You will run again. I highly recommend water running if you have a pool you can do it in.
debbiedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #326

Thanks Deb I am a cross-country girl at heart, so climbing, etc. suit me really well. I have also heard good things about the pool running in books and magazines ... although 2 of the marathon runners at my gym - who run Boston - have x-trained on the elliptical when they were down for the count rather than the pool (we have one right there).

I am glad to hear the epidurals helped you! I really wanted to avoid cortisone shots or an operation - and with the spur (unlike a back problem), I do have the luxury of just putting up with it for a bit and still being able to function. My sister did really well with acupuncture for bunions - which is also a bone growth type thing - and I may try that! I was just amazed to see how they'd shrunk!!

Oddly enough, this masseur guy who works out at our club approached me today asking if I was the one who had called him about sports injury massage Luckily, massage won't work for this issue and I turned the conversation quickly to acupuncture
Old 02-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #327

February 6, 2008

The foot is still holding up which just rocks!!!! We are due an ice / snowstorm tomorrow and so my exercise may be shoveling, lol!! Otherwise all is well! I have lately become totally in love with flax muffins, lol!!! I wish I had discovered them sooner. I find them very filling and eons beyond the products like bars. I still am eating a bar a day for breakfast and would really love to get rid of it and make my own version, only using the products when I can't bake, etc.

Well, I have quite a supply of them at the moment - at least a couple months' worth, so I have lots of time for protein bar research! lol! The perfect bar would have 160 calories and approximately 2-8 net carbs and be sweetened with liquid splenda ... If anyone out there knows of something that fits the bill, please let me know!

Pauline
Old 02-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #328

February 7, 2008

Ugh way too much exercise today - chopped ice / snow for an hour this morning and then went and did my normal workout. I am exhausted!!

Also kind of wondering why I even bother with the tweakers. They are such a waste of breath, lol!!! It's like being in the middle of Kimmer and the VLCDs again. What an enormous amount of breath I wasted on them too. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother.

A great lowcarber once shared with me his belief about "paying it forward" and I guess I really just took it to heart, because I know that most of my life I'd have given almost anything to be where I am right now and it was all so very simple - not at all complicated - It disturbs me think that people are out there making the simple straightforward approach sound like the 'Way of the Sucker', tempting people with glimpses of faster weightloss that in many many of the cases is only a pipedream. I guess, at least, they are not intentionally misleading people - they do actually believe that they are helping others.

I thank God for Dr. Atkins and for my sister's ex-boyfriend for explaining the science behind the plan .. if not for them, who knows where I'd be right now or how desperate I'd have become. I feel so happy now. I cannot stand the thought that there are so many people out there as desperate as I once was.

Getting maudlin ... it really must be bedtime!

G'night
Old 02-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

Wow! I just read that whole thread and I'm even more confused. Add in a binge eating issue and you've got a real mess on your hands. I have to say that whole issue is one of the reasons I don't post everything I eat in my journal or anywhere else except my private fit day. I'm afraid people are going to say....you're eating too many calories....you're eating too much protein...

I did just great on Atkins previously and I did it just as written. I'm a much slower loser this time, but I have many more physical issues to deal with....I'm older. I'm hypo thyroid. PCOS.

I will take my snail's pace weight loss because, hey, it's weight loss and I'm not bingeing.

Quote:
A great lowcarber once shared with me his belief about "paying it forward" and I guess I really just took it to heart, because I know that most of my life I'd have given almost anything to be where I am right now and it was all so very simple - not at all complicated - It disturbs me think that people are out there making the simple straightforward approach sound like the 'Way of the Sucker', tempting people with glimpses of faster weightloss that in many many of the cases is only a pipedream. I guess, at least, they are not intentionally misleading people - they do actually believe that they are helping others.
I for one am very glad that you are paying it forward and visit my journal and give out all your wonderful advice. (And if you want to comment that my protein is too high, I give you permission. )

Hope you have a good night's sleep!
Old 02-08-2008, 05:32 PM   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenGirl639 View Post
Wow! I just read that whole thread and I'm even more confused. Add in a binge eating issue and you've got a real mess on your hands. I have to say that whole issue is one of the reasons I don't post everything I eat in my journal or anywhere else except my private fit day. I'm afraid people are going to say....you're eating too many calories....you're eating too much protein...

I did just great on Atkins previously and I did it just as written. I'm a much slower loser this time, but I have many more physical issues to deal with....I'm older. I'm hypo thyroid. PCOS.

I will take my snail's pace weight loss because, hey, it's weight loss and I'm not bingeing.

I for one am very glad that you are paying it forward and visit my journal and give out all your wonderful advice. (And if you want to comment that my protein is too high, I give you permission.
You know what Elizabeth, I am the same as you, I do not post "menus" becaue I do not need or want a critique as it works for me ... It is not something I would necessarily recommend to anyone else ... I like these foods, they do not stall me, and so I eat them! lol!!!! I'll be the first one to tell someone to eat a chocolate bar everyday if it does not hinder their weightloss or stoke their cravings, or eat a dressing that has a "bad" ingredient in it - if it makes you able to do this for life, then **that** is success. Longevity as a WOE is my yardstick for success - not purity, or discipline, or anything else ...

And you know, you hit the nail on the head, for anyone with overweight or obesity who might also be a compulsive overeater, or a binge eater - this kind of dissection of our eating is like adding gunpowder to the fire ... making all of this so difficult that we are doomed to fail - or relapse into the addictive behavior. I think that is one reason I used to rely solely on the Century Club ... by the nature of the beast, we were all stuck with seeing this as a longterm eating situation that necessitated making it liveable, because none of us was going to succeed with a huge pile of rules and forbiddens.

I laughed at your last sentence!!! I'm the last one to say your protein is too high ... I really think that all these people eating "too much protein" - that is, the ones who do not have underlying medical issues as some do - are basically just eating too much food in total and that is likely their problem. I think that is the basis of most of the issues around here, either too much food, or not enough (calorie and/or carb-wise) and people have mini-stalls. People are willing to try all kinds of things if it means they can still eat at high levels.

Anyhoo, I have gotten some pm's etc from folks glad I have questioned the latest bugaboo - protein - and that does make me feel better that I sometimes stick my neck out when "facts" are being accepted as the norm when for the majority of people, they may indeed be non-relevant and just a spanner in the works. This can be simple. It really can. As long as we are not looking for the quick fix and I know you and I, E, are not ... it is too important to get this right for life to risk it for the sake of an extra quick pound or two. Oh no, we are going the long distance with this, right??!!