Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Inspiration and Wisdom > Weight Loss Journals
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #271
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Deb I am in EXACTLY the same place as you. I look good. I know I do ... but the clothes I allowed myself to finally finally buy do not fit. I also have not managed to pin down how to eat to maintain.

My clothes are fitting much better but there are still some that will require some more weightloss ... so here I go. I think I have decided on 128 as my weight (my lowest was 123). It does make a huge difference at our shorter heights!

I guess we'll just have to figure it out now Deb! lol!! At least we have the exercise half figured out ... yay us!!!!
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2008, 06:33 PM   #272

January 24, 2008

Today was a good day on plan. I am very very tired - long day! and tomorrow will be another long one, so just a quick check in! Good Night!!
Old 01-25-2008, 07:53 AM   #273
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Colo Alex
Stats: 297/231/<200 (6'0", 47 y.o.)
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Back on track 9/7/11
Good Morning Pauline! I hope you have a great day. Be strong. Kick todays butt!!
Colo Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #274

Hey Alex! Consider today's butt seriously kicked!! I was a frikken lowcarb Ninja Girl today ... and am looking forward to a nice candlelit family dinner tonight with a couple of glasses of red ...

Pauline
Old 01-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #275
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Food serves a purpose and binge eating has no purpose. It does not fix my problems.

<apologies to anyone reading this - I know I am talking in circles, but it really works for me, lol!>

Your posts are very helpful to me.
KUTGW, Pauline!!!

momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:44 PM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GardenGirl639
Stats: 229/restart 201/197/145 5'3 3/4"
Wow, Pauline! What a week! I'm so glad your tests looked clear. I hope it stays that way.

Amazing job staying strong!

I agree with momov2boys. Your posts are always VERY helpful to me.

In October, we had to take my youngest daughter to the emergency room because she was extremely dehydrated from vomiting. This would be very stressful for anyone, but my daughter was adopted and without going into a lot of detail, hospital visits, IV's, and starvation were part of her past. The weeks after the e/r visit brought about all sorts of emotional things for her. I remember on the trip to the e/r my husband went through the Wendy's drive thru to get her some sprite and I ordered a cheeseburger. I remember holding that cheeseburger in my hands and wanting the feel and taste of that bun in my mouth. I wanted fries and a frosty and whatever else I could get ahold of. Then I realized that no matter how much I ate, I would still be scared for my little girl. No matter how much I ate, the outcome at the hospital would be no different. So, I chucked the bun and just ate the burger. The following week, I built on that. As she was going through all of her stuff, I just ate on plan. Food has no magic. Because I wasn't freaking out from some binge, I was able to focus on her and her needs.

Quote:
I am treating myself the way I wanted to be treated when I was a kid - taken care of. Something I felt was kept from me.
I think this is a really important key here. What is it about ourselves that prevents us from taking care of ourselves? I also have that same feeling....like my parents didn't and don't try hard enough for me. It's what makes me a perfectionist and an over-achiever.

Forgive my rambling in your journal. You really struck a lot of cords. (Now stop doing that.)

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."-Thomas Edison
"I never failed once. It just happened to be a 2000 step process"-Thomas Edison
"It's never too late to be who you might have been"-George Eliot
Dream it, talk it, live it. -Rose Fitzgerald

Last edited by GardenGirl639; 01-25-2008 at 06:14 PM..
GardenGirl639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #277

Gallery: debbiedo
Stats: pretty close to perfect!
WOE: mindful eating/running off the pounds
Start Date: over and over again
wow Pauline what a week. Good job on not stress eating.

Your are one amazing and strong women!!!!!!!!
debbiedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:14 AM   #278
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenGirl639 View Post
Food has no magic.
Because I wasn't freaking out from some binge, I was able to focus on her and her needs.

Please don't stop "rambling" here, GardenGirl.
I find your words helpful, too!
Old 01-26-2008, 04:15 AM   #279

Thanks Rebecca, Deb and GardenGirl

And, yes, please don't stop rambling here, lol! GardenGirl! It is helpful as I think we probably share the same problem and figuring it out together is a big help

The week got worse last night. I had to insist that the doctor's office at my dd's asthma/allergist page the doctor - who does not take pages, lol! - and order an emergency round of her inhaled steroid - which she had a sample course of in the Fall. OK, so I finally get that ironed out and get a call from the pharmacy at 7 pm when dh is picking it up. First they could not find the prescription. it was called in wrong. Then we found out it is not covered by insurance and when the pharmacist calls the doctor's office, the nurse practitioner (not the allergist's nurse) cannot, of course, prescribe an alternate medication. So needless to say dd is without it.

I could work something out this morning with my pediatrician's office, but I have this important dress rehearsal ... I figure we will wait until monday morning and if it gets really really bad this weekend, we can always go and pay for the $140 prescription.

I am having a similiar problem with the ped's office approving the physical therapy evaluation my dd had at the hospital this week after seeing her surgeon and approving her next session. I swear if you weren't sick to start with, the system would make you sick. I really don't know how much more I can take, lol!
Old 01-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #280

January 26, 2008

I had a nice on-plan day and made it through my rehearsal. It was a great family afternoon, we pulled out scrabble junior (which is the lowest common denominator in game playing since the youngest is 7) and we had a great time. I wish I could freeze today as a perfect moment in time. The most simple things are the things that have always made me the most happy. A silent run through the woods scaring the deer. A special conversation with one of my daughters. A good laugh with my husband or a friend. Kind words from a stranger. These are the things I treasure.

Today was a good day! I also had a good reality check as far as this journey is concerned:

* My belt has gone down a whole notch in the last few days. My jeans feel better, muffin-top is gone.

* My concert skirt is tight ... It is a 20s style long slim button-down skirt.

So, I have lost weight! Yay! But I have a ways to go and I think my next goal is to have the concert skirt fit properly. It is just so much more rewarding than the scale ... I was thrilled yesterday and today when my belt just slid past that notch and found its place at the next one over. These are the things I will focus on. These things actually make a difference. The number on the scale does not - unless I get it tattooed on my forehead ...
Old 01-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #281
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks Rebecca, Deb and GardenGirl

And, yes, please don't stop rambling here, lol! GardenGirl! It is helpful as I think we probably share the same problem and figuring it out together is a big help
Thank you.:blush:

Quote:
The week got worse last night.
I'm sorry. I hope your daughter feels better soon.

Quote:
January 26, 2008

I had a nice on-plan day and made it through my rehearsal. It was a great family afternoon, we pulled out scrabble junior (which is the lowest common denominator in game playing since the youngest is 7) and we had a great time. I wish I could freeze today as a perfect moment in time. The most simple things are the things that have always made me the most happy. A silent run through the woods scaring the deer. A special conversation with one of my daughters. A good laugh with my husband or a friend. Kind words from a stranger. These are the things I treasure.
Those are the best type of days.

Congratulations on all those non scale victories. Those really are the things that matter at this point.

Break a leg at the concert! Can't wait to hear how it went.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #282

Thanks Garden Girl!
Old 01-27-2008, 04:50 PM   #283

January 27, 2008

The concert went well ... there is still German swimming around in my head! Achtung! Lustgeshrei! and so forth .... oh my am I glad it's over!!!! My shoulder hurts from gripping a score in upright position for three hours, and my heel-spur foot is a bit achy ... tomorrow at the gym should be interesting! I promised two ladies I'd join them in their strength class instead of lifting which would be my normal apres-cardio sequence tomorrow. I hope I don't fall asleep when they do floor work ... this should be good for some comic relief (for the other people taking the class, that is).

My 7 year old just came to hug me. She's in her big fuzzy footy pajamas and I am extremely jealous. I wish it was my bedtime! yesterday I went to bed before my 11 yo ... at 8:30 ... I'm holding out for 8:30 again ... but will I make it, that is the question!!
Old 01-28-2008, 07:28 AM   #284
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Colo Alex
Stats: 297/231/<200 (6'0", 47 y.o.)
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: Back on track 9/7/11
I consider it a victory if I can stay up past 9:00!!
Colo Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #285
Major LCF Poster!

Hope you had a very good night's sleep, Pauline!

Glad to hear the concert went well. Is your participation in this group a year long commitment? Will you continue to practice or are you done for awhile?
Old 01-28-2008, 05:14 PM   #286

lol! Alex, yes a good night's sleep was had by all! I think this may be my new bedtime. it is fun to get into bed with the electric blanket on for a few minutes while I read my mystery books!!

GG, The season for our group is from September to May and so I'll start monday night rehearsals again come next monday! We're singing Messiah for our May concert ... it is typically sung around Christmas, I think it was chosen to try and pull in a good crowd. The performing arts center where we sing seats 600 and we have sold out a number of our concerts. We get professional soloists to sing the lead parts and professional orchestra people from Boston ... We sang the national anthem at Fenway park (the Red Sox) two years ago - it was really awesome standing behind home plate having been to the park many times for games over the years, and to hear ourselves in that huge venue. We've been quasi-invited to come again, so maybe this year ...

Old 01-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #287

January 28, 2007

So I made it to the exercise strength class after racing to get to the gym early (through major traffic snarl) to do cardio first ... and the two ladies I was joining never showed Anyhow, it was a good class and was kinda tough! I am actually considering doing it twice a week in lieu of weights, as I'd still get weights in twice a week instead of 4x ... we'll see if I make it to the class on Friday, lol!

I wrote this in response to a friend's question, but am going to repeat it here, because as I rambled on, I actually came to a surprising and valuable conclusion on my binge eating:

As far as triggers for binge eating ... I think the binge eating in my case has very little to do with the food or having higher carb days or anything like that, because when I am out of binge-mode, I do not even notice that there is popcorn and nuts, etc. in the cupboard, but when I am in danger of a binge, certain foods will draw me as will any bit of normal hunger. So I think my binge triggers can probably be divided into two distinct categories : 1. What will put me in binge mode in the first place, 2. Things that will trigger a binge when I am already susceptible to a binge due to my emotional state.

In my case, I think it is when I start to panic - when I feel I have no control over a situation. This last one was about getting scr*wed over twice (financially) by two different sets of people that caused us to lose money and potentially lose 12k a year - a situation that I was helpless to fix ...

I simply had to work 24/7 with the hope that we would get someone to fill the vacancy despite it being the worst time of year, blah blah blah - at the same time dh's work situation seemed a little shaky - he works in a startup, funded by venture capital, is a very valued employee, but when business isn't going well, everyone is at risk (luckily they now seem to be doing very well).

I finally got all that sorted after a few months and family medical problems started to appear, inluding a cancer diagnosis. I think I just freak in situations where I am helpless to some degree. When I can take action, I can be upset, but calmly stay in control and see my way through a problem. That's the difference for me, I think.

(and the financial thing shouldn't affect me so totally again as I took action, in my typical high-performance way and

1. took out a loan I can use should I temporarily need extra funds at any time,
2. Figured out how to live much more frugally should it be necessary again and have trained the family to do without some unnecessaries,
3. Restructured some investments for better yield, and
4. Started saving a lot more money on a daily basis while things are going well to have a buffer in times of need)

See, I am great and level-headed in a crisis where solutions are needed and someone needs to take control - take action. You can count on me. But, when there is nothing to be done but put things into the hands of god, so to speak, I cannot be passive and accept, instead I hurt myself with panic and I cope by binge eating. sad, but true.

I binge because I am a control freak? maybe?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #288
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
...I actually came to a surprising and valuable conclusion on my binge eating:

See, I am great and level-headed in a crisis where solutions are needed and someone needs to take control - take action. You can count on me. But, when there is nothing to be done but put things into the hands of god, so to speak, I cannot be passive and accept, instead I hurt myself with panic and I cope by binge eating. sad, but true.

I binge because I am a control freak? maybe?
Oh, how I can relate to your line of thinking here, Pauline.
Thanks for posting!

I have come to realize that it is my desire for control that sets me up for bingeing.
And, I honestly don't know if this is something that can/will ever change.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #289

Yah, I feel the same Rebecca. Been thinking more on binge triggers. The more I think about it, I used to have more binge triggers than just the control/powerlessness one -

1) loneliness
2) self-loathing,
3) feelings of scarcity,
4) defensiveness against people who I associate with sneak eating -

but I think I have somehow conquered all of those major binge triggers. I have somehow developed control over or a healthy attitude toward those things.

I am going to do some thinking on what I have done to overcome those other emotional triggers and maybe list those things so that I remember how important they are. It's so easy to miss the forest for the trees and forget how far I really have come!

January 28, 2008

Another good day! My tightest jeans feel looser today which was a really good feeling. I baked a batch of flax muffins which will see me through to Saturday. I also bought my baby a big bunch of celery that she's been eating with carrot sticks I cut up and Ranch dressing ... and well, me and vegetables, of course I have been eating a stick the last few days ... some bargain at: 10 calories 1 net carb, lol!! Her tomato juice has been calling to me too, but I have so far resisted ... she's all fired up about me buying her some V8 on my next food shopping ... she's a funny little kid! She must have gotten my vegetable gene ...

Last edited by TaDa!; 01-29-2008 at 05:00 PM..
Old 01-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #290

January 30, 2008

All is well in my little lowcarb world! I made the whey protein "cookie" that NWLoser, Dianne linked me to on Linda Sue's website ... and mine was nasty, lol!!! Probably to do with the brand of powder you use .. ah well!!! The flax muffins were such a hit for me, I got all excited about this one! I also have lots of protein powder to use up ....

I have started to think about structuring food for Maintenance and where and how and what to add ... I know I need to eat a bigger breakfast as my stomach is often growling before I ever get to the gym. I'd love to make my own protein bars when I'm on Maintenance since I'll have more calories to work with. I guess on a daily basis I'd also increase my afternoon snack to a bigger one and move it from 4 pm to 3 pm. I'd then allow myself one or two bigger meals out of the house per week at a restaurant or something ... not necessarily carby ones - in fact, probably not carby ones, just higher calories becasue restaurant meals tend to be higher calories - yeah! that'd work!

But the whole baking thing got me thinking about what I'd do with my extra calories when and if ... I found some protein bar recipes I'll likely try, but not for a while until the rest of this weight is off ...

Lowcarb pie in the sky at this point ...

Last edited by TaDa!; 01-30-2008 at 04:19 PM..
Old 01-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #291
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NWLoser
Stats: 235/115
WOE: LC/Atkins
Start Date: 12/06 Final Time!
So sorry the protein cookies didn't taste good. I do think it depends on the protein powder. I just got some Designer Whey French Vanilla and I think they almost taste like a sugar cookie. I only cook mine about 10 or 15 sec. The recipe says up to 30 sec. but then they are like sawdust. I hope you find a protein bar recipe - I would love one too! Again apologies. What flax muffin recipe do you use? How many carbs? Thanks!
NWLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:18 PM   #292

Oh Dianne!!! Pulllllllllleeeeeeeze do not apologize!!!! What one person likes another person just hates!!!!! lol!!!!

The muffin I make has 268 calories and 1 net carb not counting the cinnamon and ground cloves I use - I make it with egg white to bring down the calorie count, and liquid splenda and davincis to bring down the carb count ... I think the spices probably add a couple of carbs to the one I've been counting, lol! Mine is my own version of the "one minute flax muffin" here:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...in-recipe.html

I also multiply it by 8 and bake it in muffin cups, but it defeintely does not come out as well. One trick -- you have to let it cool in the fridge for a good while before it tastes good and make sure to put in enough sweetener
Old 01-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #293
Major LCF Poster!

If you decide to try the cookie again, adding pecans changes the taste.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:24 AM   #294
Major LCF Poster!

I just wanted to thank you again for all your help!

I hope you are having a good day!

Elizabeth
Old 01-31-2008, 10:49 AM   #295
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Hi Pauline,

It made me smile to see you posting again.

Rich
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:02 PM   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenGirl639 View Post
I just wanted to thank you again for all your help!
You are very welcome ... but it is definitely selfish help .... you help me too! P

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachguy View Post
Hi Pauline,

It made me smile to see you posting again.

Rich
And what a big smile it brought me to see you!!!!! I hope you're doing well!!!!!! P
Old 01-31-2008, 05:18 PM   #297

January 31, 2008

I felt thinner today somehow and it's a great feeling! I had a nice one hour cardio workout - one of those days where you do not even feel you are exercising. I met up with an old running partner of mine and we just yapped and yapped for the entire hour. Love when I don't feel like I'm exercising!!!

Tomorrow that will not happen .... I am going to do another (different) strength class in addition to the cardio with two other ladies (the ones who didn't show on Monday, lol!!) .... sore muscles here we come!

Tonight I took the kids to the annual Bingo game at the elementary school. It was dh's night to play soccer and maybe catch a beer afterward so it was just us girls. It was a lot of fun - although no wins this year!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is funny not tracking my progress on the scale. Everyday I can say to myself how proud I am that I have been binge-free for such a good long stretch now and how I know I am getting thinner because 1) I can feel it and 2) My body has absolutely no choice when I eat 1800 calories and 70 carbs most days. My body simply cannot hold onto all its fat and be in a calorie deficit. Just not possible!

It really is comforting to know I do not have to "answer" to the authorities (oh, "the scale", that is..) as to my progress unless I want to. And, I do not have to even think of this as an exercise in weightloss, just another day in the life of wonderful old me! The journal is getting boring, I know. I'll say it again: Another good day.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:46 PM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
You are very welcome ... but it is definitely selfish help .... you help me too! P
Awww, thank you!

I wish I wasn't still so enamored with the scale. Do you think that will come when I am in the realm of "thin"?

Your journal is anything but boring. Please, please, please don't stop posting. You have always been one of my favorite posters and I was so sad when you stopped posting previously.

Sounds like you had a fun bingo night!

Last edited by GardenGirl639; 01-31-2008 at 07:51 PM..
Old 02-01-2008, 04:43 AM   #299

I think at some time, those of us who become overoccupied with the scale - I was too - have to confront that problem, or suffer the consequences of setting up a little dictator in our lives ... either, the weight stops coming off because the scale dictates our attitude toward our daily life rather than allowing us to normalize all of this, or we gain some weight back, or both.

It took me five years to confront this particular issue, (and I am not solid with it either, it is still in the experimental stage for me) with a few tries in between, different things, weighing once a week, etc. But I am ok with that, if I think about it, I have kicked a lot of other behaviours and so have you ... it's like the folks who want to lose all the weight asap and do silly things like kimmer or fasting, it doesn't work for the longterm ... same here, we can only achieve so much at once!

If I think about my Achievements on this wol in the past five years:

1. Exercise - a biggy!! I made this a habit. I would never have lifted a finger before this and now it is a daily habit and I look forward to it - shocking

2. Sugar and Refined grains - I have totally cut this out of my life even when I was eating poorly this past Fall. It is truly gone from my life. Five years without it. Shocking.

3. I have found a way of eating that does not make me ever feel deprived - not ever. My whole life I felt deprived ... as though food was going to be kept from me - at one point it was. Dr. Atkins changed my life forever.

4. I have eliminated some of my serious binge triggers: Loneliness, Feeling like an Outcast, Self-loathing, Cruel Treatment of Myself with Unreasonable Expectations (to lose weight). This is huge - this was who I was and I am not her anymore. The real me has surfaced.

5. I have kept off the 90 lbs I lost my first year (2003-2004) for the past four years - never once going into that territory. I have been a normal average person now for 4 years, when the previous almost-40 I was the pretty fat woman. I would never have believed it possible.

6. I have kept trying. #5 was only possible, because I have struggled and struggled with this binge thing, not giving up, not giving in, even at the darkest of weeks and months. Always always looking forward to improvement on my happiness.

There are things to work on, but I am making progress and so are you. I am certain you have a pretty good list of achievements too ...

Pauline
Old 02-01-2008, 09:11 AM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

I agree with everything you've said. I know that at some point I will need to banish the scale from my life. Right now, I am going to keep it in check and not give it too much power. I have other things right now, like exercise, that I think are more important (for me.) I am learning (with your kind comments in my journal) to not bite off more than I can chew at one time.

I think I'll go work on my list of accomplishments.

While I know that you didn't post this list for our approval, I just have to tell you how inspiring that list is to me. I think the most "impressive" one is the four years as a typical, average weight woman. If I squint really hard, I can see that in my future and I actually feel like I might be able to get there.