Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #1

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Pterostilbene?

Can anyone tell me more about this supplement? It seems many JUDDD folks are using it for appetite suppression... so I was reading into it on-line. What confused me is this statement "pterostilbene has been shown to lower blood glucose levels in rats by as much as 56 percent, while simultaneously raising insulin and hemoglobin levels to near normal levels" ....

So, what I am worried about with this... WHY would we want to raise insulin levels when high insulin makes weight loss difficult? When I was stuck at 275lb, my insulin was 10X higher than it should have been and it was NOT a good thing. Also, higher insulin means cells may become less sensitive (insulin resistance). So, I am kinda scratching my head on this one.

Thoughts, anyone?

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2014, 05:23 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I never took it for appetite suppression...just JUDDD gave me a ton of that. And in two years of taking it I have not noticed it changing my hunger levels.

I took it because of the research into potential health benefits. I did, and still do, feel more energetic when I take it. And, since I have been around a lot of years, I like some of the cellular anti-aging effects. I lost some wrinkles after I started taking it.

Being diabetic, I am very interested in some of the rat research that implies it may stimulate the growth and health of beta cells in the pancreas (that may be related to what you read about ptero upping insulin production).

I am trying to remember if anyone reported their weight loss stalled when they started taking ptero. I don't remember one way or the other. I know some people experienced headaches and had to stop taking it...but they were in the minority.

Personally, I take it and like the results.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote