Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Latest studies showing vitamins AREN'T GOOD!

So, the results of three latest studies were just released showing that taking supplements is not helping your health and just hurt your wallet. I take a multivitamin in addition to D3, fish oil, CoQ10, Magnesium, Zeaxanthin/Lutein (for eye health), Strontium (for bone health), and just started Biotin (for thinning hair, although I just started and don't know if it will work for me). All I can say is....I can't stop taking my vitamins! In fact, taking Strontium has increased my bone density (as evidenced by my latest test), and my nighttime leg cramps have decreased since taking Magnesium. Maybe it's the placebo effect, but I have noticed a difference. I'm not a believer in studies anyway.... talk about a waste of money.

So, what do you think? Will you stop taking your vitamins based on these studies?
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I regularly take a multi-vitamin as well as additional D3.

From what I've seen of that study, it was only measuring longevity--not overall health. I don't expect to lengthen my life by taking these vitamins but I intend to have a better quality of life while I'm here.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Over the years I've read similar reports and they always give me pause. I have both been diligent about taking vitamins and gone through periods of not taking them at all. Currently I am taking them and feel I should because eating LC means I am eating fewer veggies and therefore am not getting vitamins from those sources. I have definitely experienced a clear and positive benefit from the magnesium I've been taking; for the first time in years I'm sleeping 7 or 8 hours every night and it is a deep and satisfying sleep. Despite this latest report I plan to continue taking my vitamins and supplements. I personally think that if you can meet your body's nutritional needs through the food you eat alone that would be best but I don't think that is always possible and I don't believe it is possible in my case.

Last edited by LolaGetz; 12-20-2013 at 04:07 PM..
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
I'm not a big believer in the multi-vitamins. Especially the cheap ones. I think it's best to look at FIRST what you are not putting into you body. Cheap, crappy processed foods and lots of sugar and alchohol can deplete you of vitamins. There isn't a magic pill to conteract that, but I know several people who try. It's the "eat what you want and take a pill" society that we belong to now.

I am big on specific supplementation. I don't do dairy so I eat lots of dark leafy greens. I run low in Vit. D and B-12 so I supplement. Magnesium has been huge for my pain levels.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I take a few things and one of them is vitamin D. Blood tests show my levels up when I take it regularly and I feel better, so it must be doing something.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin57 View Post
I'm not a big believer in the multi-vitamins. Especially the cheap ones. I think it's best to look at FIRST what you are not putting into you body. Cheap, crappy processed foods and lots of sugar and alchohol can deplete you of vitamins. There isn't a magic pill to conteract that, but I know several people who try. It's the "eat what you want and take a pill" society that we belong to now.

I am big on specific supplementation. I don't do dairy so I eat lots of dark leafy greens. I run low in Vit. D and B-12 so I supplement. Magnesium has been huge for my pain levels.
Same here.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: way too much/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
I go round and round on this. I also find the following interesting.

"Grains contain Phytic Acid, a mineral blocker that prevents absorption of calcium, magnesium, iron, copper and zinc. This phytic acid is found in the bran of all grains as well as the outer coating of seeds and nuts ... The presence of the phytates blocks the absorption of calcium, a risk factor for osteoporosis and other bone-related problems. Unfortunately, many doctors provide a low-fat, high-fiber diet and a calcium supplement for those with osteoporosis but the calcium isn’t being absorbed anyway because the phytates block its uptake."
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote