Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Anyone tried Green bean coffee extract for weight loss?

I'm pretty happy on my LC woe and not looking for any silver bullets. In fact I've never taken diet pills or diet supplements before. But I've run across some interesting articles on this --- including Dr. Oz's experiment with it and the good results, as well as a few other research projects on it, and it got my curiosity up as to whether this might speed up my loss.

I have done some research and read many testimonials of those who have used it, some with great success, some with no success. I'm interested in what the experience of the community here is, if anyone has any experience with it, or have heard from people who have tried it.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 210/189/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/23/13
I logged onto NCLIVE (a website that allows members access to peer-reviewed medical journals and scholarly articles) curious to see if there were any clinical trials done on green coffee extract.
Here is an interesting tidbit:
Summary Points

Preliminary research from small, random
ized, clinical trials indicates that green
coffee bean extract promotes weight loss
and decreases body mass index compared
to control groups.

A major active component in green coffee
bean extract is chlorogenic acid, a phenol
that has been shown to modulate glucose
metabolism, inhibit fat accumulation, and
reduce weight in animal models and in
humans.

Early clinical research shows no significant
adverse effects from green coffee bean
extract

Reference: Quick M, Kiefer D. Weighing In: Green Coffee Bean Extract -- A Potential Safe and Effective Weight Loss Supplement?. Integrative Medicine Alert [serial online]. September 2013;16(9):97-103. Available from: Consumer Health Complete - EBSCOhost, Ipswich, MA. Accessed December 8, 2013.

The article goes on to discuss the possibility of caffeine playing a large role in the weight loss seen in clinical trials. However, it seems like it may be an OK supplement *as long as* you talk with your MD beforehand.
I also thought it was worth mentioning that the FDA does NOT regulate supplements as they do prescription drugs. It is incredibly important that you only purchase supplements (including vitamins) from a respected, well known brand. I encourage you do to some research in your free time and let us know how what you find.
pulchritudinous_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulchritudinous_j View Post
I logged onto NCLIVE (a website that allows members access to peer-reviewed medical journals and scholarly articles) curious to see if there were any clinical trials done on green coffee extract.
Here is an interesting tidbit:
Summary Points

Preliminary research from small, random
ized, clinical trials indicates that green
coffee bean extract promotes weight loss
and decreases body mass index compared
to control groups.

A major active component in green coffee
bean extract is chlorogenic acid, a phenol
that has been shown to modulate glucose
metabolism, inhibit fat accumulation, and
reduce weight in animal models and in
humans.

Early clinical research shows no significant
adverse effects from green coffee bean
extract

Reference: Quick M, Kiefer D. Weighing In: Green Coffee Bean Extract -- A Potential Safe and Effective Weight Loss Supplement?. Integrative Medicine Alert [serial online]. September 2013;16(9):97-103. Available from: Consumer Health Complete - EBSCOhost, Ipswich, MA. Accessed December 8, 2013.

The article goes on to discuss the possibility of caffeine playing a large role in the weight loss seen in clinical trials. However, it seems like it may be an OK supplement *as long as* you talk with your MD beforehand.
I also thought it was worth mentioning that the FDA does NOT regulate supplements as they do prescription drugs. It is incredibly important that you only purchase supplements (including vitamins) from a respected, well known brand. I encourage you do to some research in your free time and let us know how what you find.
Thanks for weighing in, and forgive the pun. You have come across the same research results I have. In addition to several articles, I have also read deep into the reviews on Amazon, there are many, many of them, and some have had great success w/this, some no success, as I stated.

I am aware the FDA does not cover supplements, but it can never be repeated too often. We're on our own w/these, except for the research we do. I always do my research and have already spent some time on this.

My post would be too long if I listed everything I've noted in one response, but one of the interesting things about it is that although the extract has very little caffeine in it, the majority of reviews say they feel energized and have a lower appetite, but DO NOT feel jittery. There are exceptions, of course, and seems one can iron out a lot of this w/the timing of when you take the supplement. But again, it is interesting that many folks report decreased appetite with no jitters.

Of course LC decreases your appetite too, at least it has mine. However there is mind hunger, and you never know when that will hit. Seems folks who this worked for experienced less of that.

Also, seems this is something you take for about 8 weeks, and then quit for awhile, perhaps to restart if you find yourself stalled. Still researching.

Appreciate your comments.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote