Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vitamins and Supplements (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/)
-   -   Only one supplement to choose - which one? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/817043-only-one-supplement-choose-one.html)

Whyohwh 11-14-2013 02:38 PM

Only one supplement to choose - which one?

I'm going shopping tonight & would like to try a supplement (I'm taking regular multiple vitamins + calcium + a few others) to lose weight.

Which one is better : L-Carnitine, Chromium, or Q10? They are all so expensive, I'd like to try just one and test it for myself. Any ideas?

Arctic_Mama 11-14-2013 02:52 PM

Buy them online - chromium and carnitine are very cheap from online sources, and unless you live in a place like me, most have free or flat rate shipping.

Chromium would narrowly edge out carnitine, if I had to choose.

Blue Skies 11-14-2013 07:23 PM

Although I don't restrict myself to one supplement, I'm careful about what I buy and what I buy into, in terms of what's necessary for me. Don't go hog wild on them.

But if I had to choose just one supplement it would be magnesium, for so many reasons. It is an excellent anti inflammatory, a great way to stop constipation on a LC diet, a pretty darn good sleep aide, and something most of us are deficient in.

For more info on this google Dr. Eades and Magnesium. He says after years of treating patients on LC, the one supplement he would recommend above all others is magnesium.

Emily-D 11-14-2013 07:23 PM

Absolutely CoQ10.

Emily-D 11-14-2013 07:24 PM

I agree about magnesium, but I thought we were supposed to choose from the three choices in the original post.

cleochatra 11-14-2013 07:30 PM

chromium comes standard in many multivitamins, so you typically don't need extra. CoQ10 is one of those you can derive naturally from omega 3s in oily fish. I'd personally go with the carnitine of the three. It does the most good for me.

Blue Skies 11-14-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emily-D (Post 16683861)
I agree about magnesium, but I thought we were supposed to choose from the three choices in the original post.

I think I responded more to the head line question, if only one supplement, which one? I need to study up more on the choices offered by the OP.

Still, wouldn't be without my mag. And for anyone who suffers from constipation on LC, or sleep problems, I can't recommend it enough.

Moonchild 11-14-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Skies (Post 16683868)
I think I responded more to the head line question, if only one supplement, which one? I need to study up more on the choices offered by the OP.

Still, wouldn't be without my mag. And for anyone who suffers from constipation on LC, or sleep problems, I can't recommend it enough.

I second the magnesium. :) It has really helped with constipation issues. The bottle says 3 per day but I only need one per day and it has been awesome to finally go everyday instead of every 2-3 days.

Whyohwh 11-16-2013 05:28 PM

Thanks, I've bought some chromium and will buy CoQ10 tomorrow. Hopefully it will help, at least a little.

Whyohwh 11-18-2013 04:46 PM

So I already had magnesium, I bought chromium gtf 500 mg, and CoQ10 100 mg. Is it normal to feel fatigued the first day?