Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
Probiotics.... which one???

I have decided to try probiotics... since I hear so much good about it. But there are SOOOOOOOOO MANY and most are SOOOO EXPENSIVE. Yes I will be pay more for a better product... but how do you know??? Some are refrigerated...... to keep the little buggers alive I guess... some are not refrigerated...are they as good????

Need response from those who know and this is the place to come for it, I am sure I would prefer to purchase them at the store but will order if necessary. I noticed these on netrition........ but really.... I am 60 but do I need a special probiotic because of that?

Flora
Udo's Choice Advanced Adult's Probiotic

For adults 55+ years
Intestinal support
Immune function
Digestion & weight management
Contains 7 strains of senior-specific beneficial bacteria
Alleviates immune system overload

Vicki

Last edited by sweetpoison; 09-11-2013 at 08:56 AM..
sweetpoison is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
Come on friends....... I am sure there are a few taking probiotics......
I really need some feedback here so that I dont drop to much on the wrong product.
sweetpoison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I get my probiotics from food. There's a thread on the natural health board here where a person will send you free dairy kefir grains so you can make kefir--fermented milk that tastes great. You can try water kefir or kombucha, too. You can make your own sauerkraut, kimchi, or pickles. These are very easy ferments, and don't cost much at all (literally pennies, compared to the expensive probiotic supplements). And you will get added benefits from the vitamins and nutrients in the fermented foods--fermented veggies are a good source of Vitamin K2 which is crucial to balancing your vitamin D and regulating calcium in your bones.

Give it a try!
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Try the digestive Pearls and see how they work for you. I've tried several different ones, some very expensive. The cheap Pearls work great for me. You can pick up a small box at the grocery or drug store.

Once I knew that they worked for me I started ordering the large boxes from Amazon.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
I've recently done some research on this topic and read several articles that said the most effective strain of bacteria for IBD, digestion and your immune system is Bifidobacterium infantis . I looked at the Probiotic brands in Costco and the most expensive product, Align, contains that strain. Figures it would be the most expensive. I haven't done research to find what other Probiotic products contain that particular strain.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: goddesslo
WOE: Atkinsy/ JUDDDish
Start Date: April 15, 2013
Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium, Bulgaricus are good ones but I think (according to what I have read) adding others will be helpful as well. I only buy refrigerated probiotics so they are at their most potent.
goddesslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
I use Align !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreeza
I've been using whatever Walmart has with the most number of good bacteria. Has helped a lot and compared to prescribed drugs , It's cheap enough for me.
dreeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I use the Trader Joe's brand whenever I have to take an antibiotic.

I take them occasionally when I remember the rest of the time, but I am religious about it on antibiotics because I will get a yeast infection as sure as you're born without probiotics.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jessica1129
Stats: 5'9 293/221.8/170
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: February 1, 2012
Megafood MegaFlora is a good one. It's in the refrigerated section. I've read that they keep their potency better when you buy the refrigerated ones, and keep them refrigerated at home.
Jessica1129 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:02 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mickyzzzzz05
WOE: Metabolism Miracle
Start Date: July 24 2003 Aktins/10/09 MM
My question is - how do you know if they are working for you? Do you take them as a preventative? Are there noticeable results? Just curious.
mickyzzzzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: miatagurl
WOE: Atkins
I knew that I was going to be on heavy antibiotics, so I went to the Health Food store and asked for help. They took me to the refrigerated section and showed me two of the best. When the helper left me there was another man standing there and he told me which one he had been taking and why. It is a small capsule in a blister pack. It says it does not have to be refrigerated, but I keep them there since they did. The brand name is "Dr.Ohhira's" Probiotics. So far, it is working for me. And that means going to the bathroom regularly. But most of all, not getting a yeast infection while taking antibiotics. Yippee! Warning, it is expensive. Good Luck!
miatagurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: EpitomeOfSuccess
Stats: 292/280/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 19,2013
I use GNC Probiotics Ultra. It is a non flavored powder. The only one they sell. It's 5 calories. I mix mine in water along with benefiber or miralax, I usually alternate them. I chose this because I have a hard time digesting drinks as they usually taste awful. I'm okay with pills but I already take a daily vitapak by GNC that contains 7 pills and I didn't want to add more. You get a 30 day supply for $30, but it's usually bogo. I'm not sure if that's a good deal or not. I like it alot. I noticed a difference from day one or it could have just been my body adjusting as I've never consumed probiotic supplements before this one. According to the package it contains LAB4 Probiotics 25 Billion Viable Cells
Lactobacillus acidophilus (CUL 60)

Lactobacillus acidophilus (CUL 21)

Bifidobacterium bifidum (CUL 20)

Bifidobacterium lactis (CUL 34)

They do have better, less expensive ones with a lot more product if you don't mind chewables or pills.
EpitomeOfSuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
I took Align after a couple bad bouts of diverticulitis. Sort of expensive but it worked. I didn't stay on it though, just took it for a around 2 weeks each time.
Crazy Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shapeup1
WOE: Lots of protein
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpitomeOfSuccess View Post
According to the package it contains LAB4 Probiotics 25 Billion Viable Cells
Lactobacillus acidophilus (CUL 60)

Lactobacillus acidophilus (CUL 21)

Bifidobacterium bifidum (CUL 20)

Bifidobacterium lactis (CUL 34)

They do have better, less expensive ones with a lot more product if you don't mind chewables or pills.
My Doc says that I don't need to take a specific brand as long as there are several strains like in the above post. Told me I didn't need to buy align and some are more expensive just because of marketing. (mine are capsules from Now)
shapeup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: music_girl
Stats: 162/155/125
WOE: The 100
Start Date: September 2013
I use one of the Vitamin Shoppe brands. I asked what they recommended, and the manager proceeded to ask me lots of questions on why I wanted them. They had various sizes and prices to choose from. They at least had small bottles that were relatively inexpensive if you wanted to try a particular type.

I use one with not as many "billions" in them when I am not recovering from antibiotic use.
music_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #17
FLUFF'S FAVORITE BUBBE!!!

Location: What am I doing in this basket and why is it so warm in here????
Gallery: helenback
Does anyone take probiotics on a regular basis or just when taking antibiotics?

I am newly diagnosed diabetic that is doing diet control, no meds. woot woot!

But am wondering if I shouldn't supplement with some supplements. I've never studied about probiotics, but suddenly am hearing a lot about them. So I thought I would check it out.

thanks in advance!
helenback is offline   Reply With Quote