Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vitamins and Supplements (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/)
-   -   Magnesium supplements -- maybe a TMI topic (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/810928-magnesium-supplements-maybe-tmi-topic.html)

SC80075 08-28-2013 07:43 AM

Magnesium supplements -- maybe a TMI topic

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new (but not new, I have done low carb successfully in the past) to low carb, and I've been in Ketosis for almost 2 weeks now. Weight loss has been slow, but I am seeing results now.

I wanted to share -- in a broader topic -- a tip I received from another member. Those of you who have been around for a while probably know this, but people who are newer, like I was, may not -- and it turned out to be such valuable advice that I just feel like I need to share.

After about a week of low-carb, I realized I had not gone to the bathroom (#2) in days. I have always been very regular -- like 2 or even 3 times a day some days. I was getting a bit distressed because my stomach hurt very bad and I just could not go. I became obsessed about it. I would wake up at night so uncomfortable, and nothing would happen. Often, I would try even when the urge just wasn't present. I tried coffee (always has worked in the past), sugar free candy (again, works, but is uncomfortable d/t stomach cramps) and also mass consumption of water. Nothing worked. Finally, I mentioned it in the Century Club, and someone suggested I try Magnesium suppliements. I bought some, and within a few hours of taking one, I had success. It also worked for my oldest daughter, who suffers from chronic constipation to start with, but who was struggling in low carb even more.

I have been regular since. Thank God, and also thanks to the very inspiring member (sorry, I forgot who it was) that shared this tip.

To newbies, or those struggling with a similar issue -- I bought magnesium supplements (250 mg) at Walmart for just a few $ --- I think like $4. There are 100 tabs in a bottle, and you are supposed to take one a day with meals. I believe it is worth every penny.

I hope that this helps someone else the same as it helped me :).

Stacie

Ronnie51 09-07-2013 05:02 PM

Stacie, What kind of magnesium do you take? I'm guessing it is Magnesium oxide or citrate, which has that effect with low dosage (at least it does for me). I take chelated Magnesium and Magnesium glycinate which doesn't tend to have that kind of laxative effect. When I was taking magnesium oxide, I had terrible diarrhea even when I cut the dose in half. I do suffer from constipation and haven't found a magnesium oxide or citrate dosage yet that doesn't cause diarrhea, so I Miralax which takes care of the problem for me.

Mimosa23 09-09-2013 12:29 AM

I take magnesium chloride as a shot in water, and I take magnesium citrate at night before bed. I am very regular, and eat little fiber (only what I get from vegetables). I find the chloride does not do anything in terms of helping me go, and so I take it throughout the day and the citrate does help me go, so I take it before bed. I usually wake up and have to go within 30 minutes of waking. No loose stools (sorry for TMI, but this topic is TMI already, LOL). I am regular like clockwork! My dosage is the commercially recommended dosage of something like 2 tabs, which is less than 300mg of magnesium citrate, I think.