Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vitamins and Supplements (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/)
-   -   Yerba Mate and Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/808224-yerba-mate-weightloss.html)

MissG 07-18-2013 12:47 AM

Yerba Mate and Weightloss

Has anyone had any noticeable weightloss after consuming this delicious energy tea?

I use to drink this tea often while LC'n years back and feel as if on the days I would drink it I would have a loss the next day.

Just wondering if anyone feels the same or have tested it out? I just started drinking it again 2 days ago and love the energy regardless if it does help boost metabolism or not. I guess wishful thinking maybe. lol

Mimosa23 07-18-2013 01:22 AM

No, no significant losses with Mate. Neither with green tea. I suspect you'd have to drink it by the bucketful if you want to notice anything! (and then you'd be losing weight from all the miles you'd be walking between the bathroom and back, LOL)
I like the energy and uplifting effect of both, and the alleged health benefits!

Spanilingo 07-18-2013 03:07 AM

I use to drink Yerba mate when I was really into an active lifestyle. I use to rollerblade, hike, ski etc.... So maybe it was t the tea but the life....

ravenrose 07-18-2013 05:54 AM

there is a lot of disagreement on caffeine while low carbing. it used to be forbidden, then strongly discouraged, because it increases insulin output and the whole point of low carbing is to DECREASE insulin output.

some say the increase in metabolism evens that out, so there is no net difference. others still say it's bad. I suggest extreme moderation.

Avy 07-18-2013 09:37 AM

Yerba mate is known to be diuretic, that is the only thing I've noticed from drinking it, which I do regularly, is that I see a difference on the scale from the water weight dropping over the course of a few days. I have many different varieties of mate, oolong, and pur'eh teas, and they are all supposed to help with weight loss. I think the only really advantage to them is the diuretic factor, the extra exercise from walking to the bathroom :P and the fact that the more I drink, the less I eat lol.

Just my experience from a year of tea drinking. ;)

Aleina 07-18-2013 10:04 AM

Yerba mate is the brew of choice here in Argentina. It has the reputation of being a appetite suppressant and it has worked for me as such.

Some Argentines can go all day drinking only mate without eating although they rarely do and the ones that do are usually not overweight so they may not be representative. The gauchos used it for this purpose so they would not have to stop for midday lunch under the searing sun.

I find it as diuretic as coffee for me so I am not using it as often. If you drink it Argentine style that is 3 ozs of yerba for a pint of water and drink it while the yerba is in the water you supposedly get 5 carbs. Whether they are net I have no idea. You also get a good mix of minerals as well though.

rubidoux 07-18-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleina (Post 16520719)
If you drink it Argentine style that is 3 ozs of yerba for a pint of water and drink it while the yerba is in the water you supposedly get 5 carbs. Whether they are net I have no idea. You also get a good mix of minerals as well though.

Is it drunk cold? When you say the yerba is in the water, is it like tea leaves?

Avy 07-18-2013 11:37 AM

Yes, just steep the leaves in the bottom of the cup, or whatever you're using. My friend at work does that with all her loose leaf teas. I use tea balls and such for mine, because I find most teas get bitter if left too long. Oolong doesn't as much though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubidoux (Post 16520821)
Is it drunk cold? When you say the yerba is in the water, is it like tea leaves?

Aleina 07-19-2013 10:42 AM

The preparation here is different. It is traditionally served in a gourd with a metal "straw. You fill the gourd with yerba to 3/4 of its capacity,ensuring a low and a high side of the yerba mountaintain .You then dig in the straw on the low side and pour NON boiling water (85 degrees centigrade max) along the straw until you almost flooded the yerba on the low side . The first drink is bitter ,You repeat the process adding water and the taste gets less bitter with every "wash" The yerba on the high side is your reserve and as the yerba gets more washed out it incorporates itself automatically . The reason for doing this is that the nutrients are more accessible that way. A 30 second steep won't be any good as it is only bitter or not give you the full benefits. The whole process from bitter to washed out has its function. The first as a purifier ,the last to rehydrate.
Another way to make it is to make it in a saucepan again with 85 C degree water .Let it steep and then decant the tea in a teapot or cup .

You canmake it cold.It is then called terere and you basically let the leaves steep in water with added lemon juice and sugar. A bit like a weak lemonade.

Here is a video:

Avy 07-19-2013 07:51 PM

I've heard about the gourd method before, but never saw it, neat.