Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vitamins and Supplements (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/)
-   -   umm, ok, why aren't we all using gynema??? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/808219-umm-ok-why-arent-we-all-using-gynema.html)

rubidoux 07-17-2013 11:29 PM

umm, ok, why aren't we all using gynema???

I just got my package of gymnema leaves today, and omg!!! They aren't kidding when they say it turns off your sugar receptors! Wow! And I was wondering if it would be like a frustrating feeling, like, if I was wanting sweets, but I chewed on these leaves, would I feel like it was frustrating to not be able to eat sweets or taste them? Well, I don't think so. There is something about it that seems like it makes me just not interested. I can't quite see how this is not a revolutionary thing!

The only person that I know of who's tried it is Dawnyama here... How come this wasn't revolutionary for you, Dawn???

And I'd love to hear anyone else's experiences.

I am wondering if this is as good as it seems, why isn't everyone talking about it?

watcher513 07-18-2013 01:01 AM

Never heard of it maybe?

rubidoux 07-18-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watcher513 (Post 16520096)
Never heard of it maybe?

:confused: Well, right, but if it always works like this, why haven't we? It's not like it was just newly discovered. People have been using it for thousands of years and the NIH has done studies on it. What gives? :dunno:

Taxbane 07-18-2013 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubidoux (Post 16520097)
:confused: Well, right, but if it always works like this, why haven't we? It's not like it was just newly discovered. People have been using it for thousands of years and the NIH has done studies on it. What gives? :dunno:

I have never heard of it, will have to check it out.

To answer your question with a question: What incentive do businesses have to promote awareness of it (other than a diet based business)?

ravenrose 07-18-2013 07:09 AM

out of curiosity, why do you want to turn off your sweet receptors? what benefit are you seeing in this?

tobelowcarber 07-18-2013 07:17 AM

Rubidoux- I want to try this. So you just chew on the leaves? Where is a good place to buy them?

GME 07-18-2013 07:42 AM

I'd like to turn off my sweet recpetors because I have a daily battle with sugar, chocolate in particular.

rubidoux 07-18-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taxbane (Post 16520154)
I have never heard of it, will have to check it out.

To answer your question with a question: What incentive do businesses have to promote awareness of it (other than a diet based business)?

Ya know, for the leaves, none! But there is a thriving business, it looks like with the capsules. I am not sure if they work as well. Dawnyama said that she used the capsules and it did have the tongue benefit, but I read on the amazon reviews that the capsules don't. So not sure. But I do think the capsules have other important benefits. People say it does some good things for diabetics and reduces blood lipids. And I think there have actually been scientific studies re the effects on diabetes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16520297)
out of curiosity, why do you want to turn off your sweet receptors? what benefit are you seeing in this?

Well, it looks like you don't have the issues that I do bc it would be obvious if you did! :laugh: I like sweets and I am sometimes derailed by them, in fact, if I'm derailed, it's usually for sweets. If I can't taste sweets, no so much of a problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobelowcarber (Post 16520308)
Rubidoux- I want to try this. So you just chew on the leaves? Where is a good place to buy them?

I got mine through amazon, CHEAP. I got crushed leaves, but it also comes in powder, capsules, and tincture. I decided on leaves bc that seemed like the best bet for the tongue benefits which is what I was most looking for. It may turn out that one of the other forms is better or easier, though. I think the leaves were probably the cheapest. It was 10 bucks for a gallon sized ziplock (1 pound), which would seriously last the rest of your life. I have been using just what I pinch between two fingers, probably 1/4 t or less and get a good effect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GME (Post 16520349)
I'd like to turn off my sweet recpetors because I have a daily battle with sugar, chocolate in particular.

I'll let you guys know how my first full day goes later. So far, I woke up wanting to eat crap food (my normal state, but having a particularly crappy period right now as the bar exam is less than two weeks away and feeling stressed about other things, too), managed to convince myself to put a pinch of this stuff in my mouth (that's the hurdle, I think, but not too hard, it's not that it tastes bad or anything, just that you know putting in your mouth means nothing yummy for probably three hours), and now I'm pretty confident that I'll win the battle at least for the next three hours. lol

rubidoux 07-18-2013 12:56 PM

I do think it'd be nice to have something that would make me not want sweets ever. But what I got here is something that turns of receptors, so I'm working w that for now. I think, though, it may totally work for me bc, oddly enough, if you really can't taste sweet, eating sweets becomes vastly less appealing.

I wonder why you don't see any benefit in this. I can imagine that, if you are not a person who particularly caves for sweets, it may not be helpful for you. But you surely could imagine why this would be helpful for people who, say, find it difficult to get through a party w/o cheating bc the cookies or sweet mixed drinks or BBQ potato chips are calling to them. I would feel much more confident getting through that party if I chewed on this stuff first.

jeaniem 07-18-2013 01:13 PM

I tried the capsules and it only delayed the binge on sweets for me, I couldn't wait to be able to taste again! I think in my case it is what's in my head at the time as when I binge on sweets I will continue to eat them well past feeling full and to the point where I am no longer tasting the sweet.

rubidoux 07-18-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniem (Post 16520923)
I tried the capsules and it only delayed the binge on sweets for me, I couldn't wait to be able to taste again! I think in my case it is what's in my head at the time as when I binge on sweets I will continue to eat them well past feeling full and to the point where I am no longer tasting the sweet.

So you didn't take another capsule bc you were really just waiting around so you could get your taste buds back and cheat? I have been wondering about that, whether the problem is in getting yourself to use it when you need to. I feel like it'd be easier for me to get myself to do it than it would be to avoid sweets if I was in that state, yk? But we'll see, I could be overestimating my dedication to healthy eating in the face of a serious urge to eat sweets.

I also eat well past the point where I enjoy it and get to the point that it doesn't even taste right anymore. I don't lose my ability to taste to the point I do with these leaves, though.

I feel like this is basically the same idea as methadone for a heroin user, but that does not always (usually?) work seemlessly. I think the main issue for me is going to be that moment where I struggle w/ the decision of whether or not to go with the binge urge or chew on the leaves.

GME 07-18-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniem (Post 16520923)

How long did it last? My cravings always hit me at night and if I could make it to bedtime I think I would be OK.

rubidoux 07-18-2013 01:41 PM

Gina, The leaves are lasting me close to or as long as three hours.

jeaniem 07-18-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubidoux (Post 16520933)
So you didn't take another capsule bc you were really just waiting around so you could get your taste buds back and cheat? I have been wondering about that, whether the problem is in getting yourself to use it when you need to. I feel like it'd be easier for me to get myself to do it than it would be to avoid sweets if I was in that state, yk? But we'll see, I could be overestimating my dedication to healthy eating in the face of a serious urge to eat sweets.

I also eat well past the point where I enjoy it and get to the point that it doesn't even taste right anymore. I don't lose my ability to taste to the point I do with these leaves, though.

I feel like this is basically the same idea as methadone for a heroin user, but that does not always (usually?) work seemlessly. I think the main issue for me is going to be that moment where I struggle w/ the decision of whether or not to go with the binge urge or chew on the leaves.

Yes I should have taken another capsule, but didn't want to because I wanted/needed to binge. I say needed because when that feeling comes over me it indeed feels like a need that can't be satiated until I am stuffed with sweets. So for me if I don't have the feeling of needing to binge I won't, but if the need arises I will. I know it sounds crazy and perhaps like I am simply making the choice to binge but I'm not, it is just that this is the way it always works out. I can not fight the urge to binge when the urge strikes. An occasional craving I can fight off but the need to binge rarely.

jeaniem 07-18-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GME (Post 16520944)
How long did it last? My cravings always hit me at night and if I could make it to bedtime I think I would be OK.

A couple of hours. I didn't lose the desire to binge though only delayed it.

rubidoux 07-18-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniem (Post 16520988)
Yes I should have taken another capsule, but didn't want to because I wanted/needed to binge. I say needed because when that feeling comes over me it indeed feels like a need that can't be satiated until I am stuffed with sweets. So for me if I don't have the feeling of needing to binge I won't, but if the need arises I will. I know it sounds crazy and perhaps like I am simply making the choice to binge but I'm not, it is just that this is the way it always works out. I can not fight the urge to binge when the urge strikes. An occasional craving I can fight off but the need to binge rarely.

I can totally see how it would happen that way. I'm hoping it won't w me or that at least it will happen much less often than it has been w/o the gymnema. I wonder if it would help for me to just try to have it every 2 1/2 hours rather than having it only if an urge strikes. That way, I'd at least get a delay and wouldn't have to make the decision to use it when the urge strikes.

So, tonight I'm planning on having some pumpkin chia pudding, along w some other non-sweet stuff, for dinner. And I'm already stressing about what time I should have my last pinch. It may take some figuring out to learn the best way to use this stuff.

DiamondDeb 07-18-2013 08:38 PM

Oh my! No thank you! :eek:

I don't need this but I can see how it might be a useful tool for those experiencing cravings.

rubidoux 07-19-2013 10:47 AM

Well, yesterday worked out really well. I didn't really have any sweet cravings or urges. I had 3 pinches of gymnema, each of which lasted about three hours. I had the last around 6:30, ate dinner around 7:30 and then snack of cheese and pumpkin chia pudding at about 10:00. I felt completely in control, which I have not been feeling lately. Of course, I don't know how much of it was that the gymnema helped in a chemical way and how much of it was a placebo thing, like just feeling hopeful and wanting it to work.

But I will say that once you've chewed on that stuff, there's no going back, you really are not going to enjoy eating any sweets. My dinner of burger w mustard and cucumber w trader joe's yogurt chive dip tasted totally fine, though, so you could cheat w non-sweet foods.

jeaniem 07-19-2013 05:27 PM

Glad it helped you rubidoux:)

DiamondDeb 07-19-2013 07:25 PM

Very cool.

If you were to eat something sweet would it just have no taste?

Does it work on any sweet tasting food or just on sugars? I'm curious about whether it would work with artificial sweeteners, too.

It sounds like a great tool.

rubidoux 07-20-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondDeb (Post 16522952)
Does it work on any sweet tasting food or just on sugars? I'm curious about whether it would work with artificial sweeteners, too.

It works on any sweet taste at all. And it makes the food taste really flat and tasteless. I have read that some foods taste really gross, but I have only tested it out on skittles and mio and its like you can just barely detect any taste at all.

So yesterday went really well, too, and I was able to stick to my plan so much easier than usual again. I don't think it's a placebo effect. I think the key is just to make sure you get the stuff in your mouth before you put the sugary stuff in. This morning I woke up to a new low weight (158.2) and a blood sugar of 38, which is dreadfully low. It seems to always happen, a new low weight and a super low b/s on the same morning. And then I derail and I've lost my new low weight for another week. But this morning I had 10 skittles and then some gymnema and it worked great. There is really no such thing as will power, for me at least, when my blood sugar is low, but this stuff makes will power unnecessary. :jumpjoy:

GME 07-20-2013 01:54 PM

Wow. I see it is sold as a tea too. I wonder how that would work.

rubidoux 07-20-2013 03:51 PM

I think the tea would probably be good. I think I read somewhere that you can just swish it around in your mouth for a couple of minutes. I do like it about the leaves, though, that I can throw a little container in my purse and use it no matter where I am.

rubidoux 07-22-2013 01:03 AM

Another great day! We went to a huge potluck BBQ/picnic for my son's dojo and there was TONS of food. I had a pinch of gymnema right when we got there and sailed right through, just enjoyed my iced coffee. Usually I'd feel super anxious about it and distracted by the food but I hardly noticed. Woot!

Avy 07-22-2013 08:11 PM

I found this thread interesting! I bought a bottle of the capsules, and also am waiting for the health food store to call when the leaves arrive I ordered. Interested to see the difference, and see if there "is" a difference for me.

rubidoux 07-23-2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avy (Post 16526996)
I found this thread interesting! I bought a bottle of the capsules, and also am waiting for the health food store to call when the leaves arrive I ordered. Interested to see the difference, and see if there "is" a difference for me.

I can't wait to hear how they both work for you! I'm gonna wait for your review on the capsules before I cave in and order some.

Right now I'm feeling like this stuff is amazing. My three huge earth shattering diet discoveries have been nutritional ketosis, intermittent fasting and gymnema. I kinda think I don't need anything else to succeed. :D. Granted, it's only been like four days, but I think there's a good chance it will continue to work.

tobelowcarber 07-23-2013 06:28 AM

Rubidoux- I am happy to hear this is working well for you. I have not tried it myself but I am watching your experiment and rooting for you!

rubidoux 07-24-2013 04:01 PM

Well, still loving it! I have lost six pounds in the five days since I started using it! I have been effortlessly staying on plan. (Knock on wood!)

DiamondDeb 07-24-2013 05:08 PM

Wow! Congrats on your success!

It sounds like this would be great for newbies & just about anyone struggling to stick to plan.

rubidoux 07-25-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondDeb (Post 16529748)
Wow! Congrats on your success!

It sounds like this would be great for newbies & just about anyone struggling to stick to plan.

Yes! Ya know, I woulda thought that sugary foods were only about 70% of my problem and that if I couldn't have sugar, I'd turn to potato chips or something. But either sugar is the lion's share of my problem or this gymnema is really doing a nice job with appetite suppression or somehow is cutting those urges.

This morning I had like my third low blood sugar of the week :mad: and the gymnema has helped get through those so nicely! It used to be that I'd have the ten skittles I need to raise my blood sugar and then try to sit on the couch and white knuckle it through, but fail miserably and start shoving carbs in my mouth. I haven't done that once this week! This morning I had my ten skittles, sour apple, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and then a pinch of gymnema, and that was that! These lows have been such a huge problem for me in the past. I am feeling really grateful for having found this. I'd kiss Dawnyama, if she were around. :love: She's the one who brought it to my attention.

As of today, I have lost 8 pounds in 7 days. :eek: I'm thinking that I can't keep going at that pace for too long. lol