Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Another day and all is good. I got kinda blind sided by my period today. I was expecting it next week. So, this morning, before I knew it was here, had the brilliant idea of having gluten free pizza and gluten free choc chip cookies for lunch and then fast the rest of the day. I did this once before and didn't gain. We will see if it works. So far I've done alright with my post-pizza fasting, it's 9 pm. I think the gymnema is helpful, as it's keeping me from having some chia pudding.

Anyhow... gymnema might have worked better if I used it before I got the idea for the pizza. I wonder if I would have thought of pizza or if I would have been less likely to have the craving. At any rate, I'm not too upset about it. I'm pretty stressed. For some reason, my pms was really intense today, more than usual. Maybe I just needed some pizza. And it's nice to see if I can really handle this meal and not be all... heavier tomorrow.

Oh... and before the little indiscretion, weight was .4 pounds up this morning, which well, could have been TOM or just finally leveling off a bit after that huge whoosh.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Omg.... I'm crashing and burning. Tomorrow is the first day of the bar exam and its three days long and I already feel like I'm about to start hyperventilating. Eating is okay (except I had a low this morning and had some greek yogurt, but could have been worse). I'm still using the gymnema and still loving it, but I've got too much going on right now and I'm not paying all that much attention. I'll try to remember to come back and update how its going after the dust settles. This is gonna be such a sucky week!
Old 07-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #33
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Good luck!

The diet will be there when you get done. You have enough to worry about right now. When I get stressed about something like that I ask myself... what is the worst that could happen? Even if you don't pass this time, it isn't like they will come and take your children away... you'll just take it again later. Not ideal, but not the end of the world.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:01 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/118.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Best of luck on your exam Jayne!
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #35
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Good luck on the Bar

A note about gynema: it's part of the milkweed family, so if you have allergies, use with some caution
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the well-wishes! I'm so happy that's behind me!

I didn't use any gymnema during the test days bc I was worried about lows, but now I'm back to my experiment. Just took my first pinch.

I am so amazed that I was 155.4 this morning, only 1.4 pounds up from my lowest even though I had a good celebration meal last night.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onedimsim
Stats: 261/144/139 - 5'7"
WOE: RxHCG
Start Date: 01/24/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Yes I should have taken another capsule, but didn't want to because I wanted/needed to binge. I say needed because when that feeling comes over me it indeed feels like a need that can't be satiated until I am stuffed with sweets. So for me if I don't have the feeling of needing to binge I won't, but if the need arises I will. I know it sounds crazy and perhaps like I am simply making the choice to binge but I'm not, it is just that this is the way it always works out. I can not fight the urge to binge when the urge strikes. An occasional craving I can fight off but the need to binge rarely.
This may be a little forward, but i just finished reading the book Brain Over Binge....highly recommend it! It discusses in detail the "urge to binge" issue.
onedimsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Brain Over Binge helped me a lot, too. Reading it was a real turning point for me.

Last edited by rubidoux; 08-03-2013 at 10:03 PM..
Old 08-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #39
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I just got my package of gymnema leaves today, and omg!!! They aren't kidding when they say it turns off your sugar receptors! Wow! And I was wondering if it would be like a frustrating feeling, like, if I was wanting sweets, but I chewed on these leaves, would I feel like it was frustrating to not be able to eat sweets or taste them? Well, I don't think so. There is something about it that seems like it makes me just not interested. I can't quite see how this is not a revolutionary thing!

The only person that I know of who's tried it is Dawnyama here... How come this wasn't revolutionary for you, Dawn???

And I'd love to hear anyone else's experiences.

I am wondering if this is as good as it seems, why isn't everyone talking about it?
Here I am I only found out about this because I worked at GNC many moons ago and we had it in the store. I tried it and boy does it work!! So good that I don't take it anymore When I do use it, I cannot drink or eat anything because it tastes weird I want my coffee to taste like coffee (sweet and light is how I like it!) and I always think to take it when I want coffee. Doesn't make the wanting of sweets go away for me, just makes it so that I don't like the taste.

As to why no one talks about it......I really don't know why They say it is good for diabetics. But really I think anyone who wants to stop eating junk food (sweets, chocolate for me) should be made aware of this. I have to get my bottle out and remember to take it once again. I don't chew on leaves I like mine in capsule form, just as effective
Old 08-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #40

Quote:
I am feeling really grateful for having found this. I'd kiss Dawnyama, if she were around. She's the one who brought it to my attention.
Your welcome
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:37 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

So, it works in capsule form, even if you swallow it whole and don't swish it around in your mouth?

I understand what you mean about wanting to be able to drink your coffee bc I have been wanting to drink mio, and so I put off the gymnema till I finish my mio and then forget to use it. But I drink my coffee w no sweetener, so I can work it with the coffee, thank god! I've been having a hard time taking it regularly, which is completely about the stupid mio. I need to stop buying that stuff!
Old 08-08-2013, 05:03 AM   #42

Quote:
So, it works in capsule form, even if you swallow it whole and don't swish it around in your mouth?

I understand what you mean about wanting to be able to drink your coffee bc I have been wanting to drink mio, and so I put off the gymnema till I finish my mio and then forget to use it. But I drink my coffee w no sweetener, so I can work it with the coffee, thank god! I've been having a hard time taking it regularly, which is completely about the stupid mio. I need to stop buying that stuff!
The first time I took the stuff in capsule form, I ate chocolate after. I thought "this tastes weird". And kept on eating the chocolate despite the fact that it tasted like wax. And I know that that particular chocolate at the time did NOT taste like wax I then thought "the gymnema, it works, it really works" have not taken it regularly since though, as it has been many years ago. Not sure why, but I never think to take it. Again, it has to do with my coffee and then after that I forget about it all together.

What is it doing to your blood sugar levels? I am trying to get my daughter's numbers under control. She has type 1 diabetes. While we were in Japan for our vacation, despite eating rice every day her numbers were good. Not much wheat though. They eat rice in every form you can think of, and we stayed away from sweets, my downfall. They are also big on noodles and she had her fill of those She was a happy camper. The moment we got back to the States, they are going high again. We are convinced it is the American diet that needs an overhaul but any tips you have I would appreciate.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:13 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, that's amazing that her b/s was good eating rice and noodles. I would love to be able to eat rice and noodles! lol But I don't... I eat almost no carbs at all, like usually under 12 g a day. I think I can eat a little bit more, like up to around 35 and do pretty well in terms of my blood sugar, but I can't lose if I eat over about 12 and be careful of protein, too.

The gymnema actually did lower my insulin requirements a fair amount. I turned down my basals a bit and have found that sometimes I don't need to bolus for protein like I used to. I have actually been scared to use it too close to bed bc I tend to wake up in the morning low as it is, even after this recent round of turning down my basals. I need to turn them down more, but I haven't been very consistent with my eating the last few days. Tomorrow, I swear, I am diving back in and going to start doing all that stuff that good diabetics should do, like keep track of WTH is going on. lol

For me just going on vacation at all would mess up my blood sugar. Maybe she's been a little out of wack since you got back just bc she hasn't settled back into her routine.

ETA: Is she using a pump? I would not be able to get by without a pump. I did MDI for years after having used tubed pumps and that was ok, but now that I have my omnipod, omg. I almost forget about it now that they have these little pods. Especially bc normally I don't eat all day long. I swear it's the best thing ever. But I don't have a cgm, which looks like it would be so helpful. Does she have one? I've met a bunch of people with them and I was really impressed with what you can learn from the printouts and such. But I need a job before I can get one bc my insurance only pays for about half the cost, and that would leave me with too much on top of what I pay for insulin and pods and strips. Gah.

I hope you guys had fun!

Last edited by rubidoux; 08-10-2013 at 03:19 AM..
Old 08-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #44

jayne--she has a pump. We had backups while in Japan and they were not needed. Thank goodness we had no issues while abroad. Amy is so lucky in that she doesn't have to worry about her weight--it is excellent for her age and height. I wish I would weigh what she weighs! I actually should be the same weight as her. I am always trying though. She is my height and looks great! Here is a shot of her on vacation:

We had a great time. I wish she would have a cgm, but we cannot afford it. Until insurance pays for it (insurance AND Roche paid for her pump--we paid zip for it!) we cannot do it. My DH understands that would give her the control we are lacking right now. Another issue we have at the moment are hormones--she just got her first period right before leaving for vacation. So that will throw a huge wrench into things. Also, the jet lag since we have been home is playing with us all. Trying to get back to East Coast time is very, very hard.

I am trying the PGX for her to see if that brings down her blood sugar levels. I have the book "Sugar Nation" and the author says that he uses that when he eats bread to lower his bs levels. So far it seems to kick Amy's up. Not sure what is up with that it is all a guessing game with what works and what doesn't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3568.jpg (59.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3645.jpg (48.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 08-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Dawn, You have such gorgeous children! I'm happy to hear that she's normal weighted. I think that my weight and food issues have only made diabetes more difficult. Carb addiction and type I are not a peaceful combo. Sigh... It does seem like most type I's are thinnish. That doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me, since it seems like we should reflect what's going on in the rest of the population. I don't believe that it's bc type I's take better care of themselves. I'm sure that some of us do (I am now! ) but type I's are pretty notorious for self-destructive and non-compliant behavior.

I don't know anything about PGX. I'll have to look into it. I need all of the tools I can get in this struggle.

And a gymnema update: I am still high on gymnema! I have been having a rough time since the bar ended. I was pretty amazed at making it *through* the bar without losing control of my eating, but it was really the aftermath that messed me up. I think I only had two days that were totally off plan, but I was really struggling the rest of the time even though I was eating within my limits. Hard to explain, but I just didn't feel like I was on top of things. I think it would have been easier if I had managed to use the gymnema regularly. It helped when I used it, but I had a hard time getting myself to do it when I should. Part of my problem was that I was having a little fixation on sugar free grape crush, which, of course would taste like poo if you were using gymnema.

Anyhow... it will only work if you use it is the take-home point. The last two or three days I have got back to it and it seems to be helping a lot.

Today I also started taking coconut oil w my nose plugged a la shangri-la, so it'll probably be impossible to tell what's doing what... lol My n=1 is getting all mucked up!
Old 08-18-2013, 03:58 AM   #46

I posted in the main lobby about the threads I am following on shangri-la. I am doing the coconut oil too. It is amazing how my appetite has been diminished by using the oil with the 1 hour window. I have used coconut oil to "lose weight" before and it didn't work. I believe with the 1 hour window, it will!! The timing is key.

How was the bar exam? Besides hard! Did you pass or does it take a while for you to find out. I hope you did well. I hear ya on the stress---that is a very hard exam and wow kudos for you for taking it!!!!

Amy's latest A1c was 6.3 and the endocrinologist said she could not ask us to do anything different because it was so good. We would love it to be lower of course, but that is US! And that number came back with her having her highest numbers since being diagnosed with diabetes. Just shows yo that what shows up on that meter is a blip. I can only hope that once Amy gains more control over her diabetes she does as well as she is now. Right now, since she is 12, we are telling her everything....what units to pump, when to test her blood sugar, what to eat....yada, yada, yada. And she is a typical 12 year old, pushing all the limits. But she is doing really really under the circumstances. Of course we don't want her eating Doritos all day every day as she would like, so we cannot ban that. But we limit when she can have them. That is the best we can do right now.

I have yet to take the gymnema. I will probably this week when I start my hcg protocol. I will be on a limited diet and cannot have any "treats" so I have to remember to pull it out of the cabinet for when I want something I should not have.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #47
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Dawn, coconut oil can help with fat loss; it is not necessarily for "weight" loss. They are very different things even though it may sound the same.

When used in place of other oils it can lead to fat loss because it is actually a low calorie fat & it is used differently by our bodies than other oils. It is also the MCT oil in coconut oil that helps with fat loss. I used it successfully (6T per day!) at one time on the recommendation of Dr Scott Connelly (MET-Rx, Body Rx). It is suggested to cycle it, too.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

I'm thinking about ordering some MCT oil if this shangri-la thing sticks. I'm only on day 2 and my appetite seems really suppressed. I also feel thin for some reason (usually is only tangentially related to my actual weight). I think ketosis can make me feel that way, like seeing everything through rosé-colored glasses. Anyway, before I go ordering anything new, I need to get a little further through the ginormous thing of Nutiva EVCO from costco. I think it was 23 dollars and has lasted me close to a year, I'm guessing, and I plan on making a dent in it with the SLD. lol

Dawn, A 6.3 is great! I think the years right around puberty are supposed to be rough on b/s control, so that's amazing. I don't think you'd want to push too much for fear of having too many lows. My last a1c was 6.6, I think. I was a little surprised that it wasn't lower given that I eat no freakin' carbs. I was getting steroid shots for the three weeks leading up to the blood draw, though, and my b/s was a little insane -- even w no carbs.

I can't imagine having to struggle w my child over diabetes. Ugh. My almost ten year old is really pushing limits, too, so I can imagine. It sounds to me like you guys are doing great w it, though. And I agree, she should get to have some Doritos!

And, ummm, isn't hcg like 500 cals a day for weeks on end??? I'm pretty adventurous, but that sounds hard!
Old 08-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #49

Jayne--yes, yes it is. I am in the loading days right now. That is where we eat til enormously full, and then the VLCD (very low calorie days) are only 500 calories. But with the hcg you can eat 500 cals and NOT be starving. So it works, and it works so well. You know those people who say that you cannot spot reduce? Well, they don't know the secret bullet for that. The hcg pulls your hardest to touch fat stores and gets rid of them. Gets rid of cellulite too. I got down to 113 on hcg, and foolishly gained it back, but had to deal with life's hardships since like Amy getting diabetes. I was dealt with a few blows like that and when stressed I eat! Anyhow, I am excited to get skinny again. I was so thin when I got to goal my neighbor thought I was a high schooler LOL. Anyway, it is not the easiest way to lose weight, but it is effective. Nothing I would suggest to a type 1 diabetic though. But I am using insulin needles, HAHA.

Once I am done with the hcg protocol (the least I can do the diet is 21 days, the most only 40 so it really is NOT bad at all---I can do this for 21 days!!!) I will go back to the oil and the 1 hour window. I love it!!! I cannot believe how it really has tamed my appetite. And with being on vacation I had a huge one. That is what hcg will fix as well---my large appetite. I really do love food too much. I was impressed that I didn't even need to eat the bland food like KT is doing. Just regular food is all I am doing with the oil. With the hcg, I have to have NO fat whatsoever so the oil is out for now. And talk about bland food----chicken breast with no butter is absolutely unappetizing. So I can see how that would cause weight loss for someone.

Ah, to have a Costco. I can only dream of that at this point. We have no Costco here. I am looking forward to the rumors of having one though. We finally, finally got a Whole Foods last year, just around Thanksgiving. I am loving that, even though it is 30 mins away from my house. I trek over there every now and again.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
So glad to read this thread! I heard of gymnema in a diet pill years ago, but never read up on it~ Really excited to try this - hopefully it will tame the giant "sugar-craving" beast I try to tame on a daily basis! Will post later after using it for a while. Guess I'll go with the tea first! Thanks, Rubidoux!
jigglenomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #51
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2B Me
Start Date: Need to get started again on some plan.
subscribing
2B Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:34 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Quote:
It works on any sweet taste at all. And it makes the food taste really flat and tasteless. I have read that some foods taste really gross, but I have only tested it out on skittles and mio and its like you can just barely detect any taste at all.

So yesterday went really well, too, and I was able to stick to my plan so much easier than usual again. I don't think it's a placebo effect. I think the key is just to make sure you get the stuff in your mouth before you put the sugary stuff in. This morning I woke up to a new low weight (158.2) and a blood sugar of 38, which is dreadfully low. It seems to always happen, a new low weight and a super low b/s on the same morning. And then I derail and I've lost my new low weight for another week. But this morning I had 10 skittles and then some gymnema and it worked great. There is really no such thing as will power, for me at least, when my blood sugar is low, but this stuff makes will power unnecessary.

Blood sugar =38... OH, DEAR!
Are you still using gymnea?
One of the sites I read suggests that it increases the insulin production...which seems counter productive.
....but shuting down the sweet craving/desire holds an appeal....especially in the pm hours which is my most difficult time of day.
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galveston Gal View Post
Blood sugar =38... OH, DEAR!
Are you still using gymnea?
One of the sites I read suggests that it increases the insulin production...which seems counter productive.
....but shuting down the sweet craving/desire holds an appeal....especially in the pm hours which is my most difficult time of day.
I am a type I diabetic, so my body is completely incapable of making it's own insulin. Gymnema does, though, increase the efficacy of my insulin which is a good thing. The 38 was the result of exercise plus insulin. I am pretty good at avoiding low blood sugars, unless I exercise and then I'm pretty much screwed. Sigh...

Anyhow... I am still using it, but not as often as before. I have been using it when I have to be in a situation where I think I'll have trouble. So, yesterday I had some just before going to a kid's b'day party and since I knew the cake would taste like poo, I didn't have any.

I may start using it a little more regularly now, not sure, but I'm going to try to give up all sweeteners, even stevia.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #54

Quote:
I am a type I diabetic, so my body is completely incapable of making it's own insulin. Gymnema does, though, increase the efficacy of my insulin which is a good thing. The 38 was the result of exercise plus insulin. I am pretty good at avoiding low blood sugars, unless I exercise and then I'm pretty much screwed. Sigh...

Anyhow... I am still using it, but not as often as before. I have been using it when I have to be in a situation where I think I'll have trouble. So, yesterday I had some just before going to a kid's b'day party and since I knew the cake would taste like poo, I didn't have any.

I may start using it a little more regularly now, not sure, but I'm going to try to give up all sweeteners, even stevia.
Yay to you on the no cake What a good job!!

We notice that when Amy has volleyball (every day she practices for 2 hours unless there is a game) she has low blood sugar. The days there is a game (she is the manager, doesn't play)--and there are usually 2 days a week--she has higher numbers. We like the results she is having with the exercise but volleyball won't last much longer. We have been trying to lower her numbers for a long while now, I think she may be hitting the "insulin is not getting in to where it needs to be" stage and I hate that for her. She is only 2 and 1/2 years into this. Bringing it up to the endocrinologist is of no use. She just says to use more insulin soooo NOT what we want to do for her. Her fluctuations are so wild. We can see a low of 50 and then it can go as high as 500 We just don't understand how it can do that! Diabetes is so hard
Old 09-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

I wonder if it could be that she is just at the end of her honeymoon. Do you know what her total daily dose of insulin is normally, on a day when she doesn't have to do a massive correction (when I correct I do huge amounts more insulin than if I get it right the first time )?

Now I have gone and given up sweets all together! Not even any artificial sweeteners or stevia or anything. Gah! I am on day three. And I'm planning on using the gymnema a little more to keep me on the straight and narrow. I rely on sweet soooo much. I don't know if I can live w/o it.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:34 AM   #56

jayne--you are one strong woman I could not do that, and really don't want to! Kudos to you

I do not know how much insulin she gets. That is info that her dad would know, it is on her pump. She is at school though. The honeymoon period would last forever in my book if you ask me. Every time we call the doc for whatever reason, they say "she is coming out of the honeymoon period". I don't believe it one bit!!! THAT cannot explain everything. She is beginning puberty and those hormones are messing her up big time. That is my guess. But they won't tell us what to do about that. It is just very hard to deal with. She wants to be so much like her brothers and classmates not worrying about what she eats and what she is not allowed to eat. Just wants to be normal
Old 10-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Well, it remains to be seen whether I really do it. I'm hoping to give it 30 days and see how it goes. It's funny, I'm not finding it hard exactly, but it is depressing.

It makes sense that puberty would be rough. And diabetes is just generally a big PITA. I feel very lucky that I didn't get it until I was 23. I can't imagine dealing w it at Amy's age. Does she know any other kids who have it? I have been going to group appointments and its even good for me to see real life people w it. I'm sure it would be good for a young person. Hugs to her and you!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #58

Thanks Jayne. We were just at a support group meeting this Sunday. There were 2 other 12 yr olds with type 1. They had a chance to sit and chat--just them. We dragged Amy kicking and screaming, but am so glad we did LOL. She really needs to connect with others who are going through what she is. They meet once a month, had been going and getting such negative feedback from the kids that we didn't make them go with us. Well, that time is over!! We are now making at least Amy go. My younger son had fun too! One of the little ones is 4 I believe--she was just too cute!--, and has diabetes so they got along. It is incredible the amount of "older folks" that are being diagnosed ! I am amazed, because you keep hearing of type 1 being juvenile diabetes.

Good luck with your month of no sweets! And what a month to do it in LOL. Halloween is prime time candy central!! Best of luck!!! I am sure that gynema will help.