Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/157.8/?
WOE: lc
fish oil

Anyone heard that fish oils natural and the supplements may increase prostrate cancer in men?
jeaniem is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I heard that on the news last night.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

What do you think Bella? I think I even heard that they are now questioning whether omega 3 is even good for heart health.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I read an article about that.
It said that the problem was with fish oil supplements, that getting sufficient omega 3's from actually eating fish did not increase risk.
This is yet another study that seems to bear out that getting proper nutrition from food is far superior to relying on supplements and that supplements can actually be harmful.
I've increased my fish eating recently and after reading the report, I put my bottle of fish oil in the closet. I'm re-thinking this entire supplement thing
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Astrocloud
I am highly skeptical of this study. Another study conducted from 1995-1997 concluded that "These analyses support evidence from in vitro experiments for a reduced risk of prostate cancer associated with dietary fish oils, possibly acting via inhibition of arachidonic acid-derived eicosanoid biosynthesis." Prostate cancer risk and consumption of fish oils: a dietary biomarker-based case

Having a background in statistics, and having read the book "How to lie with statistics" -I feel that it is possible that some people are presenting correlations as cause and effect relations. So, perhaps men with prostate cancer have heard that consuming fish oil is good for them -so they consume fish oil. Suddenly, there is a "concern" because some researcher now noticed that there is a higher preponderance of people with prostate cancer who consume fish oil.
Astrocloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I agree that their are conflicting for just about anything worth studying.
The timing of this article/study is relevant to me because I have been growing in my belief that getting needed nutrients from food is far superior to relying on supplements.
Currently I'm eating fish and seafood 3 or 4 times a week. Supplementing with fish oil seems unnecessary, and I was considering cutting back. This article was all i needed to put the bottle away. At least for now.
I hope to hear more about this.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

I really wish there was some way of knowing whether the cancer risk is real. I have a son who has brain damage and takes the fish oil caps as recommended by his neurologist. I have a hard time getting him to eat fish.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
The issue I have heard is the fish oil capsules may contain rancid fish oil, and thus cause more oxidative stress on the body rather than less. Which certainly makes sense considering they could be sitting on the shelf for years. I have heard if you want to take fish oil it should be liquid, so that you can taste it and know if it is rancid or not. I don't think I am willing to go there. I have only recently started taking fish oil to try and help my blood pressue and this study has made me reconsider - I have heard from other sources before (mostly primal/paelo/traditional foods sites) that fish oil supplements were not good. So I may stop taking them. Haven't decided 100% yet, so I'm interested in other persepctives.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I only take the liquid form that has stayed refrigerated. I feel certain that the capsules are all rancid.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I only take the liquid form that has stayed refrigerated. I feel certain that the capsules are all rancid.
Do you have a particular brand you like? Have you seen any specific benefits?
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote