Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Best probiotic in powder form...?

I have been looking at probiotics for a few days now but haven't yet made a purchase because I feel overwhelmed. I took a course of antibiotics a few months back and have been experiencing yeast infections and a fungal infection since then. But even before I took the antibiotics I had a urinary tract infection. All of this is really starting to worry me. So I have come to the conclusion that my gut flora needs help.

So, I found this powder-form probiotic but it costs $70 and I think it's a little high. But then again, it's 200 Billion CFUs per serving, and each serving is 1/2 tsp (2 grams). Should I get one that is this strong, or will this cause all kinds of digestive problems for me? My husband said he is worried that it will cause problems in my gut. Also, this particular powder form probiotic claims that it does not need refrigeration and that it doesn't need to be protected by a capsule because it has "technology" that helps the bacteria get through my stomach acid without dying. Is this safe? It sounds worrisome to me.

I see all these other cheaper probiotics that are like $10, $20, with 5 billion CFUs, but they don't mention whether or not the strains will be dead by the time I get the bottle. And will 5 billion be enough to make a difference?

I still can't swallow pills because I never learned to--an embarrassing truth about me. Oh well. If I get probiotics in pill/capsule form and break open the capsule, mixing the powder into my food, will it all die in my stomach acid?

Ugh, so much to consider. Probably overthinking it, too.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/143/130
WOE: 21 day sugar detox lover (80/15/5) keto family!
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
have you tried eating foods rich in pro biotics?
Full fat yogurt, raw saurkraut, kimchee, etc?
I got my kids a powder form one from vitamin shoppe its in the fridge.
QueenBacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Seeking
Stats: 265/241/170
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBacon View Post
have you tried eating foods rich in pro biotics?
Full fat yogurt
I don't like yogurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenBacon View Post
raw saurkraut, kimchee, etc?
I don't really know what those are, nor do I know if I'd like them...I guess what I want is just a strong-dose probiotic so I don't have to worry about these other food items for now. Didn't get many responses so I'm gonna buy one I saw on amazon with 100 billion CFUs for half the price of the 200 billion CFU one.
Seeking is offline   Reply With Quote