Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
Lets Talk Fiber & Psyllium Husk

I am following my own LC plan that incorporates the principals of quite a few different things (Paleo/Primal, Ketogenic, Atkins, etc.) and one thing that pretty much all of them recommend is taking a fiber supplement. Do you take a fiber supplement and how do you incorporate it?

The suggestion I see most often online is psyllium husk. For those of you who take this, where have you found it locally? (I don't really want to order from online). Does it have a particular flavor or is it easy to "hide"?
evas is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nancypie11
Stats: 191/172/145
WOE: LCHF/IF, insulin resistant
Start Date: Dec 17th 2012
I use psyllium husk in my protein powder but I order it online ... I do it more because I don't eat a ton of veggies like I should...
Nancypie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
I went to Costo and bought something called Sugar Free Fiber Well Gummies. They are declcious and 2, which is the recommended daily dose, is 5 grams of fiber. I eat mine for dessert after dinner.....pretty effective!
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Tammy2002
Stats: 173/143/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2008
I don't take fibre. and I've noticed it works against me. I just eat plenty of veggies, coconut oil and fats. And magnesium that I started taking daily for "weakness" in my legs also helps things "move along"
Tammy2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
I used to need flax powder while doing LC(for regularity).Now that I upped my fat,don't need them anymore.
when you take fiber regularly,your body starts getting used to it and then you need more to do its job
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by evas View Post
I am following my own LC plan that incorporates the principals of quite a few different things (Paleo/Primal, Ketogenic, Atkins, etc.) and one thing that pretty much all of them recommend is taking a fiber supplement. Do you take a fiber supplement and how do you incorporate it?

The suggestion I see most often online is psyllium husk. For those of you who take this, where have you found it locally? (I don't really want to order from online). Does it have a particular flavor or is it easy to "hide"?
I take psyllium capsules from Walmart. $4 for a bottle full of 160 capsules. They are called "Equate Fiber Therapy" 100% natural psyllium husk fiber. I find them in the pharmacy section. I take 6 at night with a full 8-10oz of water, just as the bottles instructs. I find capsules are much easier to take (and no taste) than the fiber powders.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Dr. Eades has an interesting blog entry on fiber. It is entitled, 'A Cautionary Tale of mucus fore and aft'. Well worth consideration!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
I recently bought some in a powder form from Costco. You mix it with water or, I guess you could bake it in stuff. It is orange flavored.
I have two huge canisters and it doesn't really agree with me. I wish I had seen the SF gummies.
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #9

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I make flax muffins.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frogg
Stats: 220/154/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2013
My husband bought pure psyllium husk at a health food/nutrition store. It's the same stuff as Metamucil, but unflavoured and sugar free etc. It doesn't taste like much of anything. I mixed it in a glass of water. You have to take the directions seriously: when it says drink immediately, drink IMMEDIATELY haha. It thickened up so quickly that I was struggling to drink it down. I gagged more than once from the texture . It wasn't unpleasant tasting, just difficult to swallow.

Sounds like the pills or yummy gummies would be much nicer!

Oh, I think you can also flavour your water and psyllium with Crystal Light or Mio or whatever sugar free drink flavour you want.

Last edited by frogg; 06-25-2013 at 11:27 PM..
frogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
No fiber here. I eat very low carb, moderate protein, high fat, and don't have any bathroom issues at all.

Most of my 20g of carbs come from leafy veggies, so I do get fiber, but I don't supplement it at all.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:28 AM   #12

Gallery: ChristiansMom
Stats: :( :| :)
WOE: HFLC
I have only used the husk powder in one recipe for a LC bread (which was an epic FAIL). I found it at a local nutrition store in Riverside called Clark's but most people buy it online.. I imagine Netrition carries it.

For fiber, I take 2 spoons of dry Chia Seeds before bed each night and swallow it with a glass of water. It has helped a lot in many different ways. If you don't want to eat them dry, you can make a pudding (it will taste similar to tapioca if you let it set overnight) or you can bake with it.
in the origin of your Light.
Matthew 5:14-16

ChristiansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:47 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy2002 View Post
I don't take fibre. and I've noticed it works against me. I just eat plenty of veggies, coconut oil and fats. And magnesium that I started taking daily for "weakness" in my legs also helps things "move along"
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Dr. Eades has an interesting blog entry on fiber. It is entitled, 'A Cautionary Tale of mucus fore and aft'. Well worth consideration!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
No fiber here. I eat very low carb, moderate protein, high fat, and don't have any bathroom issues at all.

Most of my 20g of carbs come from leafy veggies, so I do get fiber, but I don't supplement it at all.
All of the above....
For me no fiber supplementation either. I get enough from my veggies. Drinking enough, taking enough fat and supplementing with magnesium keeps me regular as clockwork!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
Thank you all so much for your input!

I don't really have many bathroom issues (probably because I'm a high fat eater) but I have been reading about the other benefits of fiber. I used to think that since it didn't get digested it just helped stuff move through. But I'm learning more about the world of soluble vs. insoluble fiber and the benefits that soluble fiber has for your colon, heart, digestion, etc.

I try to get lots 'o veggies in but it can be tough and I'm know I still don't get enough!

I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I should take a supplement. I will just continue to read until I can make up my mind!
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I do not take a fiber supplement. I eat a lot of vegetables though.

I think fiber is good in the sense that you are eating whole foods that have it naturally - so things like vegetables and fruits. I don't think taking a supplement is the same thing and won't get you the good fiber benefits, just another marketing gimmick. I've even seen candy, cookies, and gummies list the fiber on the front as if that somehow makes them healthy and a good choice.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #16

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Thank you all so much for your input!

I don't really have many bathroom issues (probably because I'm a high fat eater) but I have been reading about the other benefits of fiber. I used to think that since it didn't get digested it just helped stuff move through. But I'm learning more about the world of soluble vs. insoluble fiber and the benefits that soluble fiber has for your colon, heart, digestion, etc.

I try to get lots 'o veggies in but it can be tough and I'm know I still don't get enough!

I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I should take a supplement. I will just continue to read until I can make up my mind!
I really do like the capsules. They are convenient, and no sludge. Those drinks are pretty nasty tasting, even if you disguise the flavor with orange. The psyllium has a great cholesterol lowering property too. It sweeps out the bad stuff! I know it is better explained in scientific terms, but I am way beneath those discussions I just know it is good for you! I take the psyllium at night and my fats (specifically coconut oil) during the day and things run like clockwork for me. Very effective combo
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I take probiotics rather than fiber supplements.

I second Cathy's recommendation of Michael Eades' post about fiber. You could also check out a website called fiber menace.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Astrocloud
I can't stand the way that Psyllium Husk powder clumps up and sticks to the roof of my mouth when I eat it. I'm also not that fond of it's smell.

I buy the powder in bulk and put it in capsules. I have a small capsule making machine.
Astrocloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #19
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
I've found Psyllium Husk at most grocery stores in the pharmacy and at the health food store. I hardly use it though anymore. This might be TMI, but I had horrible chronic digestive issues, tried everything over 5 years, adding tons of fiber, taking medications, prescriptions, and lots of tests. I have discovered I have diverticulitis, which doesn't really explain my symptoms. Of course the docs recommend tons of fiber.

The thing that 'cured" all my problems is taking a good probiotic (the ones kept in the fridge) and following a LC lifestyle for a year. My digestion (as long as I am LC and staying away from grains and sugar) is freaking perfect, all problems vanished. it takes time for everything to kick in and heal the gut, but it worked for me.

The moral of my story? Fiber is overrated, and especially for me, largely unnecessary. I think I get plenty with the veggies I eat, and the occasional baked treat with chia or flax.

Officially down 50 lbs! Another 30 or so to my first goal, then I'll re-evaluate.

Couldn't do it without all the amazing support and motivation from this forum and all the wonderful people here.
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:04 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
I use it for making wraps, but my bowel health mostly relies on fats and vege fibre
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #21
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I've had chronic constipation all my life, and low-carb eating only makes it worse. For medical reasons, I can't eat high fat either.

When I started low-carbing about 6 years ago, I used psyllium because Dr. A recommends it, but it really didn't help much.

Recently, I began using flax meal for 'muffins,' and I found that's really helpful--so far. My body may get used to it, and I'll have to find something else, but, for now, I'm liking the flax--especially because of its omega-3 benefits.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Astrocloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I've had chronic constipation all my life, and low-carb eating only makes it worse. For medical reasons, I can't eat high fat either.

When I started low-carbing about 6 years ago, I used psyllium because Dr. A recommends it, but it really didn't help much.

Recently, I began using flax meal for 'muffins,' and I found that's really helpful--so far. My body may get used to it, and I'll have to find something else, but, for now, I'm liking the flax--especially because of its omega-3 benefits.
If you look at the back of a bag of roasted pumpkin seeds -you will see that almost always the grams of fiber equals the grams of carbs. So there is some variety for you...
Astrocloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I need to add fiber to my diet if I want to be regular (and I do!)
I take on rounded tsp of the sf orange metamucil in the moring, and one rounded tsp
of the blue (no taste) in the evening. This routine along with my daily fiber intake from veggies keeps me going most days.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
I put 2 tsp psyllium husk in smoothies or puddings and let it sit for 20 minutes or so. It makes them thicken up nicely and you don't have to struggle through downing a glassful of psyllium and water. IMHO, psyllium tastes nasty, but I don't even notice it in a smoothie. I buy my psyllium locally, but it's NOW brand, which I believe netrition carries.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onedimsim
Stats: 261/144/139 - 5'7"
WOE: RxHCG
Start Date: 01/24/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Wow! Super interesting take on fiber! I too figure more is better....
onedimsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:24 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nancy7
Stats: 138 starting
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10/28/2013
psyllium husks

Quote:

I have seen psyllium husks
at Fred Meyers on the bottom shelf of their Natural section. I can't stand the way they divide natural and unnatural stuff but I might have to go get some.
nancy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:25 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Angelina
WOE: Low Carb
Hot Cereal with Pysllium husks

I don't know enough about soluble vs insoluble fibre, but talk on this thread has piqued my interest. I do make a lovely hot cereal with psyllium husk though. It's my faux-porridge go to in winter:

* 1-2 tsp flax meal
* 1-2 tsp psyllium husks
* SF Maple Syrup, to taste
* 1 tbsp Thickened Cream
* 4-5 pecans, smashed coarsely in a mortar and pestle
* Sweetener of choice, to taste (optional - I find the sf maple syrup sweetens it enough)
* Boiled water

Place first 5-6 ingredients in a small mug, top with hot water and stir to combine. The psyllium works to thicken the brew to make for a lovely porridge or oatmeal substitute.

Last edited by Angelina; 12-23-2014 at 02:27 AM..
Angelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:22 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post

I've had chronic constipation all my life, and low-carb eating only makes it worse. .....
...Yes, to that statement!!!
I have tried so many components, fibers, foods, systems, liquids, combination concocktions....etc.....
But finally have found what is metabotically friendly to this 60+year old body....>MiraLax ...daily ...keeps the process to a once daily and done...no fuss...no pain...no strain...no surprises!

I get tickled when I hear the podcast proponents like Dr. Lo, Sean Croxton, and Dr. Amy Meyers say...."I love to talk about poop!"
When I was a kid I knew that 'old' people (like I am now) would talk about constipation...but never in public!
It is so refreshing in the 'information age' to be able to find discussions about important things that make our daily lives more peaceful
Images of the Bristol Stool Chart...the standard that the medical field uses as a guide...was only for medical folks...but now makes non-medical folks aware that there is a standard guide to such things. thank you, internet! It helps us each to know where "our normal" is...