Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vitamins and Supplements (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/)
-   -   Lets Talk Fiber & Psyllium Husk (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/806806-lets-talk-fiber-psyllium-husk.html)

evas 06-25-2013 11:44 AM

Lets Talk Fiber & Psyllium Husk

I am following my own LC plan that incorporates the principals of quite a few different things (Paleo/Primal, Ketogenic, Atkins, etc.) and one thing that pretty much all of them recommend is taking a fiber supplement. Do you take a fiber supplement and how do you incorporate it?

The suggestion I see most often online is psyllium husk. For those of you who take this, where have you found it locally? (I don't really want to order from online). Does it have a particular flavor or is it easy to "hide"?

Nancypie11 06-25-2013 12:09 PM

I use psyllium husk in my protein powder but I order it online ... I do it more because I don't eat a ton of veggies like I should...

marieze 06-25-2013 12:59 PM

I went to Costo and bought something called Sugar Free Fiber Well Gummies. They are declcious and 2, which is the recommended daily dose, is 5 grams of fiber. I eat mine for dessert after dinner.....pretty effective!

Tammy2002 06-25-2013 01:12 PM

I don't take fibre. and I've noticed it works against me. I just eat plenty of veggies, coconut oil and fats. And magnesium that I started taking daily for "weakness" in my legs also helps things "move along"
:hyst:

lowcarbella 06-25-2013 01:16 PM

I used to need flax powder while doing LC(for regularity).Now that I upped my fat,don't need them anymore.
when you take fiber regularly,your body starts getting used to it and then you need more to do its job

dawnyama 06-25-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evas (Post 16486555)
I am following my own LC plan that incorporates the principals of quite a few different things (Paleo/Primal, Ketogenic, Atkins, etc.) and one thing that pretty much all of them recommend is taking a fiber supplement. Do you take a fiber supplement and how do you incorporate it?

The suggestion I see most often online is psyllium husk. For those of you who take this, where have you found it locally? (I don't really want to order from online). Does it have a particular flavor or is it easy to "hide"?

I take psyllium capsules from Walmart. $4 for a bottle full of 160 capsules. They are called "Equate Fiber Therapy" 100% natural psyllium husk fiber. I find them in the pharmacy section. I take 6 at night with a full 8-10oz of water, just as the bottles instructs. I find capsules are much easier to take (and no taste) than the fiber powders.

clackley 06-25-2013 01:52 PM

Dr. Eades has an interesting blog entry on fiber. It is entitled, 'A Cautionary Tale of mucus fore and aft'. Well worth consideration!

Low Carb Librarian 06-25-2013 02:42 PM

I recently bought some in a powder form from Costco. You mix it with water or, I guess you could bake it in stuff. It is orange flavored.
I have two huge canisters and it doesn't really agree with me. I wish I had seen the SF gummies.

ravenrose 06-25-2013 08:47 PM

I make flax muffins.

frogg 06-25-2013 10:25 PM

My husband bought pure psyllium husk at a health food/nutrition store. It's the same stuff as Metamucil, but unflavoured and sugar free etc. It doesn't taste like much of anything. I mixed it in a glass of water. You have to take the directions seriously: when it says drink immediately, drink IMMEDIATELY haha. It thickened up so quickly that I was struggling to drink it down. I gagged more than once from the texture :D. It wasn't unpleasant tasting, just difficult to swallow.

Sounds like the pills or yummy gummies would be much nicer! :up:

Oh, I think you can also flavour your water and psyllium with Crystal Light or Mio or whatever sugar free drink flavour you want.

Ntombi 06-25-2013 10:28 PM

No fiber here. I eat very low carb, moderate protein, high fat, and don't have any bathroom issues at all.

Most of my 20g of carbs come from leafy veggies, so I do get fiber, but I don't supplement it at all.

ChristiansMom 06-26-2013 12:28 AM

I have only used the husk powder in one recipe for a LC bread (which was an epic FAIL). I found it at a local nutrition store in Riverside called Clark's but most people buy it online.. I imagine Netrition carries it.

For fiber, I take 2 spoons of dry Chia Seeds before bed each night and swallow it with a glass of water. It has helped a lot in many different ways. If you don't want to eat them dry, you can make a pudding (it will taste similar to tapioca if you let it set overnight) or you can bake with it.

Mimosa23 06-26-2013 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tammy2002 (Post 16486698)
I don't take fibre. and I've noticed it works against me. I just eat plenty of veggies, coconut oil and fats. And magnesium that I started taking daily for "weakness" in my legs also helps things "move along"
:hyst:

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16486750)
Dr. Eades has an interesting blog entry on fiber. It is entitled, 'A Cautionary Tale of mucus fore and aft'. Well worth consideration!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16487212)
No fiber here. I eat very low carb, moderate protein, high fat, and don't have any bathroom issues at all.

Most of my 20g of carbs come from leafy veggies, so I do get fiber, but I don't supplement it at all.

All of the above....
For me no fiber supplementation either. I get enough from my veggies. Drinking enough, taking enough fat and supplementing with magnesium keeps me regular as clockwork!

evas 06-26-2013 10:48 AM

Thank you all so much for your input!

I don't really have many bathroom issues (probably because I'm a high fat eater) but I have been reading about the other benefits of fiber. I used to think that since it didn't get digested it just helped stuff move through. But I'm learning more about the world of soluble vs. insoluble fiber and the benefits that soluble fiber has for your colon, heart, digestion, etc.

I try to get lots 'o veggies in but it can be tough and I'm know I still don't get enough!

I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I should take a supplement. I will just continue to read until I can make up my mind!

nolcjunk 06-26-2013 10:57 AM

I do not take a fiber supplement. I eat a lot of vegetables though.

I think fiber is good in the sense that you are eating whole foods that have it naturally - so things like vegetables and fruits. I don't think taking a supplement is the same thing and won't get you the good fiber benefits, just another marketing gimmick. I've even seen candy, cookies, and gummies list the fiber on the front as if that somehow makes them healthy and a good choice.

dawnyama 06-26-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evas (Post 16488028)
Thank you all so much for your input!

I don't really have many bathroom issues (probably because I'm a high fat eater) but I have been reading about the other benefits of fiber. I used to think that since it didn't get digested it just helped stuff move through. But I'm learning more about the world of soluble vs. insoluble fiber and the benefits that soluble fiber has for your colon, heart, digestion, etc.

I try to get lots 'o veggies in but it can be tough and I'm know I still don't get enough!

I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I should take a supplement. I will just continue to read until I can make up my mind!

I really do like the capsules. They are convenient, and no sludge. Those drinks are pretty nasty tasting, even if you disguise the flavor with orange. The psyllium has a great cholesterol lowering property too. It sweeps out the bad stuff! I know it is better explained in scientific terms, but I am way beneath those discussions :laugh: I just know it is good for you! I take the psyllium at night and my fats (specifically coconut oil) during the day and things run like clockwork for me. Very effective combo :up:

Emily-D 07-03-2013 10:19 AM

I take probiotics rather than fiber supplements.

I second Cathy's recommendation of Michael Eades' post about fiber. You could also check out a website called fiber menace.

Astrocloud 07-12-2013 06:17 PM

I can't stand the way that Psyllium Husk powder clumps up and sticks to the roof of my mouth when I eat it. I'm also not that fond of it's smell.

I buy the powder in bulk and put it in capsules. I have a small capsule making machine.

Avy 07-13-2013 09:32 PM

I've found Psyllium Husk at most grocery stores in the pharmacy and at the health food store. I hardly use it though anymore. This might be TMI, but I had horrible chronic digestive issues, tried everything over 5 years, adding tons of fiber, taking medications, prescriptions, and lots of tests. I have discovered I have diverticulitis, which doesn't really explain my symptoms. Of course the docs recommend tons of fiber.

The thing that 'cured" all my problems is taking a good probiotic (the ones kept in the fridge) and following a LC lifestyle for a year. My digestion (as long as I am LC and staying away from grains and sugar) is freaking perfect, all problems vanished. it takes time for everything to kick in and heal the gut, but it worked for me.

The moral of my story? Fiber is overrated, and especially for me, largely unnecessary. I think I get plenty with the veggies I eat, and the occasional baked treat with chia or flax.

lilbeetle 07-14-2013 01:04 AM

I use it for making wraps, but my bowel health mostly relies on fats and vege fibre

Leo41 07-14-2013 08:34 AM

I've had chronic constipation all my life, and low-carb eating only makes it worse. For medical reasons, I can't eat high fat either.

When I started low-carbing about 6 years ago, I used psyllium because Dr. A recommends it, but it really didn't help much.

Recently, I began using flax meal for 'muffins,' and I found that's really helpful--so far. My body may get used to it, and I'll have to find something else, but, for now, I'm liking the flax--especially because of its omega-3 benefits.

Astrocloud 07-14-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 16514491)
I've had chronic constipation all my life, and low-carb eating only makes it worse. For medical reasons, I can't eat high fat either.

When I started low-carbing about 6 years ago, I used psyllium because Dr. A recommends it, but it really didn't help much.

Recently, I began using flax meal for 'muffins,' and I found that's really helpful--so far. My body may get used to it, and I'll have to find something else, but, for now, I'm liking the flax--especially because of its omega-3 benefits.

If you look at the back of a bag of roasted pumpkin seeds -you will see that almost always the grams of fiber equals the grams of carbs. So there is some variety for you...

avid 07-28-2013 06:40 AM

I need to add fiber to my diet if I want to be regular (and I do!)
I take on rounded tsp of the sf orange metamucil in the moring, and one rounded tsp
of the blue (no taste) in the evening. This routine along with my daily fiber intake from veggies keeps me going most days.

MerryKate 08-10-2013 11:44 PM

I put 2 tsp psyllium husk in smoothies or puddings and let it sit for 20 minutes or so. It makes them thicken up nicely and you don't have to struggle through downing a glassful of psyllium and water. IMHO, psyllium tastes nasty, but I don't even notice it in a smoothie. I buy my psyllium locally, but it's NOW brand, which I believe netrition carries.

onedimsim 08-12-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16486750)

Wow! Super interesting take on fiber! I too figure more is better....

nancy7 12-13-2013 01:24 AM

psyllium husks

Quote:

Originally Posted by evas (Post 16486555)

I have seen psyllium husks
at Fred Meyers on the bottom shelf of their Natural section. I can't stand the way they divide natural and unnatural stuff but I might have to go get some.