Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vitamins and Supplements (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/)
-   -   Appetite Suppressants? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/806290-appetite-suppressants.html)

TheSouthernPrincess 06-17-2013 01:49 PM

Appetite Suppressants?

So my mom is going to start LC, but she wants an appetite suppressant. I've tried explaining to her that if she eats fat it will keep her full, but she wants the suppressant :dunno:. I'm hoping that after she has been on it for a little bit, she will see that she doesn't need it. Anyway, does anyone have any ideas for me? She can't take Hydroxycut (sp?) because it hurts her stomach. Thanks in advance!

Weezy 06-17-2013 01:59 PM

Being only slightly facetious here...

How about making her some small chocolate fat bombs and tell her that they're like those old chocolate candies that suppressed the appetite (were they called Aides??).

You're right--if she eats enough fat, she won't be hungry. However, if she uses appetite suppressants and doesn't eat enough (enough fat or protein for her body), then she'll feel awful all the time, even after the Atkins Flu symptoms subside.

She may be someone who needs to give herself permission to eat as much appropriate food as she needs at first to get over the fear of hunger and adapt to a low carb lifestyle, and then start decreasing portions as her body adjusts. But that can be a difficult mindset to adopt if she's a SAD/low fat/low calorie dieter.

avid 06-17-2013 02:00 PM

Ketosis.
Best appetite suppressant ever.

emel 06-17-2013 02:11 PM

Maybe get her a fiber supplement. Fiber really is filling and it's good for us.

TheSouthernPrincess 06-17-2013 02:18 PM

I think the issue is that she did the Hcg diet for a while and lost 60lbs, but it started causing her a lot of pain in her ribs (very weird). So I think you are right Weezy, she is on the mindset that you have to eat low cal/low fat/low carb/low food/low everything! When I'm telling her about some wonderful fatty food, she always says, "well, just be careful eating all that fat, try to limit it if you can". What really doesn't make sense is that she read the Atkins book when I was a kid and lost weight doing it then! She definitely jumps on diet bandwagons, so it does make it a little difficult. I'm going to keep trying to show her that she doesn't need the suppressant, but until then, she really wants to start tomorrow, but not without the "magic pill" :stars:

Weezy 06-17-2013 02:31 PM

I'm so sorry, SouthernPrincess. It sounds like she's in a tough mindset and you're in a tough spot trying to help.

It can be so hard for people who are truly fat phobic to go HFLC (or some variation thereof). I've read a lot that HGC can mess up some people's metabolism and it can take a while to heal from that before anything else will work (I looked into it very seriously before starting my own HFLC journey).

Would she be willing to read any books on the topic? Maybe starting with Taubes' Why We Get Fat or something like that?

I wish you good luck in supporting your mother; she's lucky to have such a caring daughter.

emel 06-17-2013 02:47 PM

Yeah if I was a smarty mouth I'd tell her a pat of butter or a tbl of cream cheese is a good magic pill.

cfine 06-17-2013 03:20 PM

PGX

TheSouthernPrincess 06-17-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emel (Post 16474661)
Yeah if I was a smarty mouth I'd tell her a pat of butter or a tbl of cream cheese is a good magic pill.

LOL! That would be something my sister would say, if she were so inclined lol! She of course has had 4 children (with no stretch marks), and is maybe a size 4 :annoyed: So no dieting for her. Oh well, she has other crosses to bear.

I will see if she will read the Atkins book again, she still has it so hopefully she will take it to heart this time. :dunno: The reason she started Hcg is because my brother-in-law went on it and lost 90lbs in 3 months (that just doesn't seem healthy to me, but to each his own). She wants results like that, without the Hcg.