Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vitamins and Supplements (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/)
-   -   Confused about Vitamin D (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/804361-confused-about-vitamin-d.html)

SkeeterN 05-18-2013 06:58 AM

Confused about Vitamin D

Had blood work with my GYN (nurse practitioner) who wasn't very forthcoming about my tests.

She said the only thing she saw that was concerning was that I am low on Vitamin D. I asked her what I should take and she shrugged and said any supplement will work.

Not how many milligrams or what kind. Went to Walmart and even asked the Pharmacist who acted the same. Oh any will do. But you do need to take calcium with it.

Got Caltrate but not even sure if this is what I need to do. Have you ever looked at the shelf of Vitamin D vitamins? Liquid, tablets, gel tablets. All sorts of mg's and so forth. Goodness

LadyBlueberry 05-18-2013 07:13 AM

I have been on Vitamin D3 for several years. I'd start at something more than 1,000 IU (international units). I take 5,000 IU per day and my Vitamin D level in January, 2013 was 74. What did they say your level was?

SkeeterN 05-18-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyBlueberry (Post 16429734)
I have been on Vitamin D3 for several years. I'd start at something more than 1,000 IU (international units). I take 5,000 IU per day and my Vitamin D level in January, 2013 was 74. What did they say your level was?

That is the thing...she didn't say. I think I am going to ask for a print out of my tests.

LadyBlueberry 05-18-2013 07:34 AM

Since I've taken a supplement for it for several years, I make sure I am tested annually so I know where my level is. I've had a lifelong problem with chronic depression. I tend to feel better in the summer when there is more sunshine. Since taking Vitamin D3, I get through winters without any dip in my mood.

You can start at 2,000 or 5,000 IU once per day. Make sure it is Vitamin D3. This is the most beneficial type of Vitamin D. Any drug store carries D3. Also, try to sit out in the sunshine for 10 or 15 minutes a day now that summer is almost around the corner. Sunlight helps your body produce it naturally. That will also help you recover from low levels.

SkeeterN 05-18-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyBlueberry (Post 16429746)
Since I've taken a supplement for it for several years, I make sure I am tested annually so I know where my level is. I've had a lifelong problem with chronic depression. I tend to feel better in the summer when there is more sunshine. Since taking Vitamin D3, I get through winters without any dip in my mood.

You can start at 2,000 or 5,000 IU once per day. Make sure it is Vitamin D3. This is the most beneficial type of Vitamin D. Any drug store carries D3. Also, try to sit out in the sunshine for 10 or 15 minutes a day now that summer is almost around the corner. Sunlight helps your body produce it naturally. That will also help you recover from low levels.

Going outside might be my problem. I have always hated to sit outside even as a child. Can one get vitamin D if sitting in a window with the sun on them? Or do they have to be outside? I can sit out but wiggle till I have to get back inside. Seems crazy I know

LadyBlueberry 05-18-2013 07:40 AM

You need some direct sunlight in order for your body to manufacture Vitamin D.

SkeeterN 05-18-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyBlueberry (Post 16429753)
You need some direct sunlight in order for your body to manufacture Vitamin D.

UGH! I need a pill.

solarpluvia 05-18-2013 12:44 PM

I was a 12 in however they measure D. 30 is the lowest ok level, IIRC. I take 5000 iu a day, since I live so far north and never go outside. I've taken up to 7000 iu without a problem. If you are sensitive to tummy troubles, taking in the morning can make you nauseated, but I don't have a problem taking it at night. Don't worry about toxicity, as you make way more (on the order of 50,000 iu) just by being in the sun for an hour. It is important to get your levels up, as D is so important for bone health, as well as mental health.

Yennie 05-18-2013 08:41 PM

All good info already, although I think its lame your Dr didn't want to tell you your levels. Definitely request a print out.
When I was low they started me at 2,000IU but I wasn't *that* low - 24 with 30 being low end of normal. That was after a summer spent outside so that was a little concerning. I was retested and my levels were fine but they had said I could take up to 10,000 IU/day and be fine. Maybe someone else could take more - these were tests run while I was pregnant.
Also, milk fortified with Vitamin D will give you some as well. Its provided in the milk in the same form your body produces from sunlight so its the same as sitting out. You'd have to check the label for levels though. That I don't know.

SkeeterN 05-19-2013 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yennie (Post 16430629)
All good info already, although I think its lame your Dr didn't want to tell you your levels. Definitely request a print out.
When I was low they started me at 2,000IU but I wasn't *that* low - 24 with 30 being low end of normal. That was after a summer spent outside so that was a little concerning. I was retested and my levels were fine but they had said I could take up to 10,000 IU/day and be fine. Maybe someone else could take more - these were tests run while I was pregnant.
Also, milk fortified with Vitamin D will give you some as well. Its provided in the milk in the same form your body produces from sunlight so its the same as sitting out. You'd have to check the label for levels though. That I don't know.

Being on low carb, I do not drink milk. I will request a print out Monday and see what the levels really are.

SkeeterN 05-21-2013 02:11 PM

Got my lab results.

Have no idea what I am really seeing here.

Vitamin D 25 Hydroxy
Vitamin D, 25-OH total.............. 12L............... NG/ML

Vitamin D3, 25-OH................12
Vitamin D2, 25-OH.................... <4

SkeeterN 05-21-2013 02:32 PM

The vitamin D is In bold letters listed as out of range 12L..

solarpluvia 05-21-2013 06:39 PM

Looks like supplement time. Really, any D3 supplement will do. To get your levels up, try 5000 iu for a while. I took the Kirkland brand 2000 iu, 3 per day, for a few years. Tiny little gels and cheap. Just switched to some other brand because I was too lazy to go to Costco last week.

pauley 05-24-2013 12:41 PM

If you start with 5,000IU, keep in mind that some of your other supplements (if you take them) may have Vit D in it. You may overdo it. That's what happened to me when I took 5,000. Next blood test was way too high. Had to cut Vit D supplement in half.

lisabinil 05-25-2013 10:49 AM

Wow you are really low if the standard D level for your lab is 30 and that's comsidered low normal. I use a liquid D3 supp-you can get it at Walmart or Vitamin Shoppe. Did your doc mention a D2 script? I take the D2 script and D3 supp at 10.000 IUs daily.

lisabinil 05-25-2013 10:52 AM

Skeeter I just read your recent posts about slightly high cholesterol and low D levels-these are both indicative of thyroid disease. Have you had your thyroid checked completely including free T3 and free T4 levels? Google the thyroid-cholesterol connection for good articles and check out stopthethyroidmadness website.

Mindgypsy 06-03-2013 12:44 AM

I did my tests and came to know my level was 19 ....today I completed 8 week dosage of 60,000 IU of D3 weekly......will get a test done in a month's time to check my levels.....another thing I found out abt vit D was that if you don't take your levels to 40 then sooner or later you will get deficient again......so idea is to take the level to min 40 because by then it stores and stays put in your body.....also max benefit begins at that level....another impt thing is people who have any issues with Kidney shld consult their doctor before starting on high dosage of Vit D.