Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
magnesium

I know that many lcf's take magnesium supplements.
I'm curious as to why.
Is it for weight loss, general health, regularity or something else?
I'm also curious as to the dosage most folks are taking.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Magnesium malate- 500 -1500mg a day.

It''s for everything- anxiety, better sleep, bone health. prevents muscle cramps and helps with sore muscles, and most important of all, prevents constipation.

Get a good form of it - mag citrate is a cheap/bad one. It basically is just good at inducing diarrhea right away. Mag chelated with malate or glycinate is absorbed much more readily and helps improve your bowel movements over time without acting like a laxative.
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I take it because if was recommendd by the Eades and perhaps Dr. Atkins. One of them recommended it to avoid feeling like "something the cat drug in." Yes, they caution that it can have a laxative effect (remember milk of magnesia), and one may or may not need that. I don't so I take a supplemental magnesium tab in the mornings with food.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:57 AM   #4

Gallery: FatCat
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Oct. '99
I've been getting leg cramps on occasion lately. I even take a Rx dose of potassium daily and still get them. So, I take a calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement for a week or so when it happens.
FatCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:06 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/206/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
This thread posted just yesterday links to an article explaining why magnesium is good for you: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...magnesium.html. I take it (500 mg magnesium citrate) every day becuase most people are deficient in magnesium, and it helps with bowel regularity.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
Magnesium malate- 500 -1500mg a day.

It''s for everything- anxiety, better sleep, bone health. prevents muscle cramps and helps with sore muscles, and most important of all, prevents constipation.

Get a good form of it - mag citrate is a cheap/bad one. It basically is just good at inducing diarrhea right away. Mag chelated with malate or glycinate is absorbed much more readily and helps improve your bowel movements over time without acting like a laxative.
I disagree with the bolded. Magnesium oxide and magnesium carbonate (and a few others) are "bad" forms because they are inorganic. The magnesium malate that you take is an organic salt of magnesium, just as magnesium citrate is. The "best" forms of magnesium are amino acid chelates, including magnesium glycinate, magnesium lysinate, magnesium orotate, and magnesium taurate. Magneisum malate is not an amino acid chelate. Malate comes from "malic acid" just like citrate comes from "citric acid". Neither one is an amino acid, however.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 05-08-2013 at 06:15 AM..
Old 05-08-2013, 06:19 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I disagree with the bolded. Magnesium oxide and magnesium carbonate (and a few others) are "bad" forms because they are inorganic. The magnesium malate that you take is an organic salt of magnesium, just as magnesium citrate is. The "best" forms of magnesium are amino acid chelates, including magnesium glycinate, magnesium lysinate, magnesium orotate, and magnesium taurate. Magneisum malate is not an amino acid chelate. Malate comes from "malic acid" just like citrate comes from "citric acid". Neither one is an amino acid, however.
obviously malic acid is not an amino acid, I should have been clearer. The chelate I was referring to was a mix of magnesium glycine and malate.

Last edited by nolcjunk; 05-08-2013 at 06:21 AM..
nolcjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/159.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I take 2 a day to stay regular. It works for me, as I don't have any veggies in my diet, and I have no problem with staying regular.
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
Does Magnesium cause major acne break outs? I tried taking it for about a week and broke out horribly bad. Will it eventually subside?

Mindy
Iwantlessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:53 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/195/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I started because of horrible leg cramps in the night. Now, I couldn't imagine stopping - fear of the repercussions since it helps with regularity! Joking aside, I take melatonin and magnesium at night and my sleep is so vastly improved. The other benefits are just that - "other".
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:15 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 71yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet; JUDDD
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12: 1/17/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMacB View Post
I started because of horrible leg cramps in the night. Now, I couldn't imagine stopping - fear of the repercussions since it helps with regularity! Joking aside, I take melatonin and magnesium at night and my sleep is so vastly improved. The other benefits are just that - "other".
How much magnesium and melatonin do you take? Melatonin hasn't worked for me in the past, but I wasn't taking magnesium at the time. Maybe both would work now. I started taking magnesium (first 250mg then worked up to 500mg.) a few weeks ago and sometimes it helps and sometimes not. I usually have a couple of nights a week without sleep and take a morning nap. The other nights it's 2 or 3am before I get to sleep six hours - my top. Someone on the other magnesium thread said she was taking 1000 mg. so I'll try upping mine.

These Threads have certainly been informative.

Sharon

Last edited by Sharss; 05-10-2013 at 05:36 AM..
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I've been taking 250mg Chelated Magnesium(magnesium oxide, citrate, aspartate, taurinate, alpha-ketoglutarate), whatever the heck all THAT means! LOL A friend on another forum highly recommended the Chelated form. Actually, I started out taking 400 mg last year and now just take 250 mg. If you Google, magnesium is needed for so MANY different bodily functions and people are often deficient in it. It also helps with sleep, it also lowers chronic stress-related high cortisol levels, which hinders weight loss. Been there; done that. And my off-the-charts cortisol levels are now back in the normal range. My doctor was jaw-dropping astounded my cortisol test dropped from 14.0 to 9.1 in just a couple months after I began the magnesium regimen (and with no yoga or relaxation techniques that HE recommended, either!!). He told me to "Keep doing whatever you're doing".
Old 05-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
I started taking it as a fix for muscle cramps but discovered over time that the reason for those was dehydration and low sodium and no longer suffer from them if I get my water and salt. But I still take 500mg of Magnesium a day for regularity, better sleep and lower stress levels. (If I take 800mg or more I get heart palpitations so I keep it at 500 mg. My doctor said that one should be monitored by a physician if you need to take more than 500 mg per day.)

I stopped taking it for a while and really noticed a big difference in my general sense of well-being. I think it's kind of a miracle mineral.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharss View Post
How much magnesium and melatonin do you take? Melatonin hasn't worked for me in the past, but I wasn't taking magnesium at the time. Maybe both would work now. I started taking magnesium (first 250mg then worked up to 500mg.) a few weeks ago and sometimes it helps and sometimes not. I usually have a couple of nights a week without sleep and take a morning nap. The other nights it's 2 or 3am before I get to sleep six hours - my top. Someone on the other magnesium thread said she was taking 1000 mg. so I'll try upping mine.

These Threads have certainly been informative.
I take 400 mg of magnesium. I'm taking Solgar brand Magnesium with Vitamin B6, which I get from Whole Foods. It is suggested that you take it with meals three times a day (3 tablets is a "serving"), but I take all three at bedtime with 3 mg of melatonin.

It's my understanding that melatonin doesn't necessarily keep you asleep, but helps you fall asleep faster. I want to do more research though.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMacB View Post
I take 400 mg of magnesium. I'm taking Solgar brand Magnesium with Vitamin B6, which I get from Whole Foods. It is suggested that you take it with meals three times a day (3 tablets is a "serving"), but I take all three at bedtime with 3 mg of melatonin.

It's my understanding that melatonin doesn't necessarily keep you asleep, but helps you fall asleep faster. I want to do more research though.
Thanks JMacB! I didn't get out to buy melatonin today, but will tomorrow.

I found that there is a book, "The Magnesium Miracle" by Carolyn Dean on Amazon. The Reviews are very interesting to read. The only thing I didn't like was to find out she now claims only her recommended magnesium brands are good and the rest dangerous or worthless. Really??? After so many Reviews and info on other Forums I visited, Posters have been successful taking what they've taken???
Old 05-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

My supplier of magnesium citrate has stopped making the one I was taking, so I've ordered some Doctor's Best High Absorption Magnesium, labeled as 100% chelated. Hopefully that works as well or better for me than the mag citrate I've been taking.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I don't really understand the different types of magnesium, I must confess. I suppose I could do a bunch of research hahahahahah who am i kidding? I like what I'm taking, feel like it's working for me, sticking to it.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

That's my point, JMacB! Stick with what works for oneself.

Checked out Carolyn Dean's web site and she has a link being an Affiliate so others can also make money off the products she is pushing like herself.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sphinxy
Stats: 300/245/130ish
WOE: making it up as I go
Start Date: 06/12/06
I take it for restless leg syndrome secondary to fibromyalgia. It works! Plus it helps me go potty which is a nice bonus.
sphinxy is offline   Reply With Quote