Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vitamins and Supplements (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/)
-   -   magnesium (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/803623-magnesium.html)

avid 05-08-2013 05:29 AM

magnesium
 
I know that many lcf's take magnesium supplements.
I'm curious as to why.
Is it for weight loss, general health, regularity or something else?
I'm also curious as to the dosage most folks are taking.

nolcjunk 05-08-2013 05:43 AM

Magnesium malate- 500 -1500mg a day.

It''s for everything- anxiety, better sleep, bone health. prevents muscle cramps and helps with sore muscles, and most important of all, prevents constipation.

Get a good form of it - mag citrate is a cheap/bad one. It basically is just good at inducing diarrhea right away. Mag chelated with malate or glycinate is absorbed much more readily and helps improve your bowel movements over time without acting like a laxative.

Patience 05-08-2013 05:45 AM

I take it because if was recommendd by the Eades and perhaps Dr. Atkins. One of them recommended it to avoid feeling like "something the cat drug in." Yes, they caution that it can have a laxative effect (remember milk of magnesia), and one may or may not need that. I don't so I take a supplemental magnesium tab in the mornings with food.

FatCat 05-08-2013 05:57 AM

I've been getting leg cramps on occasion lately. I even take a Rx dose of potassium daily and still get them. So, I take a calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement for a week or so when it happens.

Mistizoom 05-08-2013 06:06 AM

This thread posted just yesterday links to an article explaining why magnesium is good for you: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...magnesium.html. I take it (500 mg magnesium citrate) every day becuase most people are deficient in magnesium, and it helps with bowel regularity.

Mistizoom 05-08-2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolcjunk (Post 16414560)
Magnesium malate- 500 -1500mg a day.

It''s for everything- anxiety, better sleep, bone health. prevents muscle cramps and helps with sore muscles, and most important of all, prevents constipation.

Get a good form of it - mag citrate is a cheap/bad one. It basically is just good at inducing diarrhea right away. Mag chelated with malate or glycinate is absorbed much more readily and helps improve your bowel movements over time without acting like a laxative.

I disagree with the bolded. Magnesium oxide and magnesium carbonate (and a few others) are "bad" forms because they are inorganic. The magnesium malate that you take is an organic salt of magnesium, just as magnesium citrate is. The "best" forms of magnesium are amino acid chelates, including magnesium glycinate, magnesium lysinate, magnesium orotate, and magnesium taurate. Magneisum malate is not an amino acid chelate. Malate comes from "malic acid" just like citrate comes from "citric acid". Neither one is an amino acid, however.

nolcjunk 05-08-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16414633)
I disagree with the bolded. Magnesium oxide and magnesium carbonate (and a few others) are "bad" forms because they are inorganic. The magnesium malate that you take is an organic salt of magnesium, just as magnesium citrate is. The "best" forms of magnesium are amino acid chelates, including magnesium glycinate, magnesium lysinate, magnesium orotate, and magnesium taurate. Magneisum malate is not an amino acid chelate. Malate comes from "malic acid" just like citrate comes from "citric acid". Neither one is an amino acid, however.

obviously malic acid is not an amino acid, I should have been clearer. The chelate I was referring to was a mix of magnesium glycine and malate.

MtherGoos 05-08-2013 02:37 PM

I take 2 a day to stay regular. It works for me, as I don't have any veggies in my diet, and I have no problem with staying regular.

Iwantlessofme 05-08-2013 03:09 PM

Does Magnesium cause major acne break outs? I tried taking it for about a week and broke out horribly bad. Will it eventually subside?

Mindy

JMacB 05-10-2013 04:53 AM

I started because of horrible leg cramps in the night. Now, I couldn't imagine stopping - fear of the repercussions since it helps with regularity! Joking aside, I take melatonin and magnesium at night and my sleep is so vastly improved. The other benefits are just that - "other".

Sharss 05-10-2013 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMacB (Post 16418006)
I started because of horrible leg cramps in the night. Now, I couldn't imagine stopping - fear of the repercussions since it helps with regularity! Joking aside, I take melatonin and magnesium at night and my sleep is so vastly improved. The other benefits are just that - "other".

How much magnesium and melatonin do you take? Melatonin hasn't worked for me in the past, but I wasn't taking magnesium at the time. Maybe both would work now. I started taking magnesium (first 250mg then worked up to 500mg.) a few weeks ago and sometimes it helps and sometimes not. I usually have a couple of nights a week without sleep and take a morning nap. :sad: The other nights it's 2 or 3am before I get to sleep six hours - my top. Someone on the other magnesium thread said she was taking 1000 mg. so I'll try upping mine.

These Threads have certainly been informative.

buttoni 05-10-2013 08:14 AM

I've been taking 250mg Chelated Magnesium(magnesium oxide, citrate, aspartate, taurinate, alpha-ketoglutarate), whatever the heck all THAT means! LOL A friend on another forum highly recommended the Chelated form. Actually, I started out taking 400 mg last year and now just take 250 mg. If you Google, magnesium is needed for so MANY different bodily functions and people are often deficient in it. It also helps with sleep, it also lowers chronic stress-related high cortisol levels, which hinders weight loss. Been there; done that. And my off-the-charts cortisol levels are now back in the normal range. My doctor was jaw-dropping astounded my cortisol test dropped from 14.0 to 9.1 in just a couple months after I began the magnesium regimen (and with no yoga or relaxation techniques that HE recommended, either!!). He told me to "Keep doing whatever you're doing".

Rhubarb 05-10-2013 08:39 AM

I started taking it as a fix for muscle cramps but discovered over time that the reason for those was dehydration and low sodium and no longer suffer from them if I get my water and salt. But I still take 500mg of Magnesium a day for regularity, better sleep and lower stress levels. (If I take 800mg or more I get heart palpitations so I keep it at 500 mg. My doctor said that one should be monitored by a physician if you need to take more than 500 mg per day.)

I stopped taking it for a while and really noticed a big difference in my general sense of well-being. I think it's kind of a miracle mineral.

JMacB 05-10-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharss (Post 16418044)
How much magnesium and melatonin do you take? Melatonin hasn't worked for me in the past, but I wasn't taking magnesium at the time. Maybe both would work now. I started taking magnesium (first 250mg then worked up to 500mg.) a few weeks ago and sometimes it helps and sometimes not. I usually have a couple of nights a week without sleep and take a morning nap. :sad: The other nights it's 2 or 3am before I get to sleep six hours - my top. Someone on the other magnesium thread said she was taking 1000 mg. so I'll try upping mine.

These Threads have certainly been informative.

I take 400 mg of magnesium. I'm taking Solgar brand Magnesium with Vitamin B6, which I get from Whole Foods. It is suggested that you take it with meals three times a day (3 tablets is a "serving"), but I take all three at bedtime with 3 mg of melatonin.

It's my understanding that melatonin doesn't necessarily keep you asleep, but helps you fall asleep faster. I want to do more research though.

Sharss 05-10-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMacB (Post 16419263)
I take 400 mg of magnesium. I'm taking Solgar brand Magnesium with Vitamin B6, which I get from Whole Foods. It is suggested that you take it with meals three times a day (3 tablets is a "serving"), but I take all three at bedtime with 3 mg of melatonin.

It's my understanding that melatonin doesn't necessarily keep you asleep, but helps you fall asleep faster. I want to do more research though.

Thanks JMacB! I didn't get out to buy melatonin today, but will tomorrow.

I found that there is a book, "The Magnesium Miracle" by Carolyn Dean on Amazon. The Reviews are very interesting to read. The only thing I didn't like was to find out she now claims only her recommended magnesium brands are good and the rest dangerous or worthless. Really??? After so many Reviews and info on other Forums I visited, Posters have been successful taking what they've taken??? :dunno:

Mistizoom 05-11-2013 06:12 AM

My supplier of magnesium citrate has stopped making the one I was taking, so I've ordered some Doctor's Best High Absorption Magnesium, labeled as 100% chelated. Hopefully that works as well or better for me than the mag citrate I've been taking.

JMacB 05-11-2013 07:32 AM

I don't really understand the different types of magnesium, I must confess. I suppose I could do a bunch of research hahahahahah who am i kidding? I like what I'm taking, feel like it's working for me, sticking to it.

Sharss 05-11-2013 12:26 PM

That's my point, JMacB! Stick with what works for oneself.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Checked out Carolyn Dean's web site and she has a link being an Affiliate so others can also make money off the products she is pushing like herself. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

sphinxy 05-11-2013 10:07 PM

I take it for restless leg syndrome secondary to fibromyalgia. It works! Plus it helps me go potty which is a nice bonus.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52 PM.