Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2013
TAKE YOUR MAGNESIUM!!!

Great article about a new study showing that magnesium levels are the best predictor of heart disease and that total cholesterol level management and statins have done little to protect from heart attacks.

“Magnesium deficiency is the missing puzzle piece that explains why people with normal or optimal cholesterol—as well as those being treated with drugs to lower cholesterol—suffer heart attacks and strokes,” reports Dr. Dean.

This Mineral Could Save Your Life | Yahoo! Health

Last edited by CTH; 05-07-2013 at 01:47 PM..
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Thanks, I emailed this to DH. His doctor wants him to take red yeast rice (in lieu of statins) for high LDL and I still say it's not a good idea. He has been resistant to taking magnesium supplements though. I take 500 mg Magnesium citrate a day, maybe this will get him to start.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Good article! Dr. Eades also has several posts on his blog about supplementing with magnesium. If you do a google search for "Dr. Eades and magnesium" they should pop up.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Plus, it helps with constipation, sleep, and muscle cramps.

I prefer magnesium malate and take between 500 and 1500 mg a day.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
Unfortunately, this study doesn't actually say magnesium lowers the risk of death by heart disease. What it says is people who have more Mg in their urine have a lower risk. While it may seem like a reasonable hypothesis, it is also possible that something else the low-magnesium people are eating is binding with the Mg in the intestines and that thing is what is causing them to be less healthy.

The study is even more suspect, as it was done by the "Nutritional Magnesium Association". I doubt there is any bias there.

Anyway, until there are controlled experiments (e.g. this group gets extra Mg, this group gets a placebo), we don't actually know anything about the impact of Mg on heart disease.

One last note: these kinds of longitudinal cohort studies are what left the US with its high-carb, low-fat diet. They don't prove anything and are easy to get to say what you want them to, but the media sure sucks them up.
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
A&F
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A&F
Stats: 185/138.4/120
Start Date: 7/12/11
Interesting.
A&F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekin' in Utah View Post
Unfortunately, this study doesn't actually say magnesium lowers the risk of death by heart disease. What it says is people who have more Mg in their urine have a lower risk. While it may seem like a reasonable hypothesis, it is also possible that something else the low-magnesium people are eating is binding with the Mg in the intestines and that thing is what is causing them to be less healthy.

The study is even more suspect, as it was done by the "Nutritional Magnesium Association". I doubt there is any bias there.

Anyway, until there are controlled experiments (e.g. this group gets extra Mg, this group gets a placebo), we don't actually know anything about the impact of Mg on heart disease.

One last note: these kinds of longitudinal cohort studies are what left the US with its high-carb, low-fat diet. They don't prove anything and are easy to get to say what you want them to, but the media sure sucks them up.
"In a randomized study of 194 heart-attack patients, those treated with IV magnesium had one-fourth the in-hospital death rate compared to those who received a placebo, and also had lower rates of irregular heartbeats and congestive heart failure. A follow-up study by the same researchers also found that five years later, nearly twice as many in the placebo group had died from heart disease or other causes and those who survive had higher rates of impaired heart function."
Old 05-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
I don't know why i stopped taking magnesium but I took it last night and slept over 10 hours... Don't know if it was the magnesium but I am going to continue to take it
mmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jazills
Stats: 241.8/241.8/145 - 5'2"
WOE: VLC/NK
Start Date: July, 7 2014
I take Magnesium daily but I wonder if I'm taking enough. How much should I be taking a day?
jazills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
I don't know why i stopped taking magnesium but I took it last night and slept over 10 hours... Don't know if it was the magnesium but I am going to continue to take it
Just curious, how much magnesium did you take?

TIA
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
I think for me I take 1500 a day but it is what my body needs. I do not have diarrhea with this dose. What you do in my lay person opinion is judge how much is too much. You will get loose stools if you take to much so cut back until this no longer is an issue.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you for the info! BTW your name is my middle name "Anita"
Old 05-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
As a result of posts on this board I now take 1000 mg of magnesium. My wife is a big proponent of it and gives me some with the handfull of vitamins she gives me daily. I add another 750mg.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
I think for me I take 1500 a day but it is what my body needs. I do not have diarrhea with this dose. What you do in my lay person opinion is judge how much is too much. You will get loose stools if you take to much so cut back until this no longer is an issue.
So important!!! In 2004 I had gone to an acupuncturist who had me on some liquid magnesium to help me sleep. It resulted in severe diarrhea that lasted years after I stopped taking it. After that I avoided it along with wheat because I wondered if that was a factor too.

In fact it's only been this past year that my condition improved. In the past month I've started taking magnesium again at night - first 250mg then 500mg and my bod seems to be taking to that. Unfortunately, I don't remember how many mgs were in the liquid magnesium, but it was obviously too much for my system. Just be aware that our bods are different like Skeeter has pointed out.

Good luck.

Sharon
Old 05-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

The reason I ask is I'm still having "going" issues and nothing is produced at 250 im going to up it to 500 and see if my body likes it
Old 05-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazills View Post
The reason I ask is I'm still having "going" issues and nothing is produced at 250 im going to up it to 500 and see if my body likes it
If your having going issues up it to 1000 for at least one night and see if this helps. You can always cut back after your relieved. I always take 1500 and have no problems going. 250 would never ever work for me actually neither would just 500 but that is how my body is
Old 05-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Low carb has definitively stopped me up. I have used Miralex, VERY gentle, dissolves into water w/no flavor, takes awhile to work, a bit pricey but generic store names are cheaper. But it seems to work when you use it, eventually, and then same old problem.

Someone here tipped me off to Magnesium tablets over a month ago, I bought them, and then didn't open them. Don't know what it is w/me and supplements. I buy 'em and then forget to take 'em, or I just let them sit for God knows why.

Last night I read this thread and thought, SLAP, I could have had a magnesium tablet! So I took a 500 tablet before bed last night. Now I also drank a ton of water yesterday, but this hasn't done the trick in the past. Wow. Did it ever do the trick. And I slept very well.

I'm going to continue w/a 500 tablet a night and see what happens---seems it's good for me no matter what. I also have sleep issues, so I'm looking forward to seeing if this works that way too.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dsalazar4
Stats: 246.8
Start Date: 6/25/2012
Hmmm I started taking magnesium 500mg before going to bed and it has helped me with going too as well as with sleep. I never thought about it until I read this. I told my doctor that I had started taking it and she told me not to take it every day. Must do some research on this subject
dsalazar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #19

Would never go against a doctor's advice. However, I have been taking it just about every night for 9 years. So far no problems. Wonder why the doctor advised against taking it every night?
Old 05-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharss View Post
Just curious, how much magnesium did you take?

TIA
I took 3 tablets that equals out to be 1000 mgs
mmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/175/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsalazar4 View Post
Hmmm I started taking magnesium 500mg before going to bed and it has helped me with going too as well as with sleep. I never thought about it until I read this. I told my doctor that I had started taking it and she told me not to take it every day. Must do some research on this subject
Agree w/a poster's advice above, we shouldn't take our doctor's advice lightly. But that goes two ways. Respecting that doctor, AND also knowing doctors are not always up on nutrition and supplements, and many of them are holding on to old myths regarding both.

This Mineral Could Save Your Life | Yahoo! Health

Are these sources the definitive truth? But it does point out that doctors disagree w/each other all the time, and the health care industry is often a mess when it comes to a cohesive message, and sometimes wrong when they land on one.

I think this is where we must all be OUR OWN best advocates. I think we do that by reading up, and then with caution, trying things like this out a bit at a time. Trying a magnesium supplement is not like going ga ga over some snake oil potion.

Most magnesium supplements, I have recently found, start at 500 a day. So you try that and see how it works. I think we all know what feels healthy, and it's not continual loose stools. So if that's what you're getting after a week, cut that pill in two. Or, if the opposite is true, and 500 a day isn't doing it for you, increase it gradually.

So much of this is common sense, and that INCLUDES the common sense to know your doctor may or may not be up on the latest supplements or nutritional news. Lord knows, we've seen an ENTIRE medical and nutritional community not very up on the benefits of LC eating, while they continue to push a low fat meme, which after decades has resulted in a fatter America.

I think to myself, this could be true about Magnesium supplements too. So in the end, if we proceed w/caution, attention, and common sense, I think we'll do just fine. And in many cases, we'll do even better for not waiting for common wisdom to catch up w/those who are ahead of the curve.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dsalazar4
Stats: 246.8
Start Date: 6/25/2012
@ SkeeterN

I am not considering her advice. It seems to help and research I have done shows no reason not to.
dsalazar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I take 250mg Chelated Magnesium(magnesium oxide, citrate, aspartate, taurinate, alpha-ketoglutarate), whatever the heck all THAT means! LOL A friend on another forum highly recommended the Chelated form. If you Google, magnesium is needed for so MANY different bodily functions and people are often deficient in it. It also helps with sleep, it also lowers chronic stress-related high cortisol levels, which hinders weight loss. Been there; done that. And my off-the-charts cortisol levels are now back in the normal range. My doctor was jaw-dropping astounded my cortisol test dropped from 14.0 to 9.1 in just a couple months after I began the magnesium regimen (and with no yoga or relaxation techniques that HE recommended, either!!). He told me to "Keep doing whatever you're doing".

Last edited by buttoni; 05-10-2013 at 09:12 AM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #24
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsalazar4 View Post
My doc told me to take as much magnesium/calcium as I wanted but told me to lay off the potassium supplements.

My trainer, who is also certified in sports nutrition and worked with the olympic ski team, said potassium supplements are not a danger but I'm going with what my doc says for now.

One banana = about 420g of potassium. Potassium pills are regulated to be 100mg or less I believe so I figured taking at least 4 per day would do no harm but doc said no on the pills, yes on the bananas?!?!?

Starting to question my doc's entire methods... I've been with him for over 10 years but he said something to me the other day that really raised my eyebrow.... but that's another story.....
Old 05-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
My doc told me to take as much magnesium/calcium as I wanted but told me to lay off the potassium supplements.

My trainer, who is also certified in sports nutrition and worked with the olympic ski team, said potassium supplements are not a danger but I'm going with what my doc says for now.

One banana = about 420g of potassium. Potassium pills are regulated to be 100mg or less I believe so I figured taking at least 4 per day would do no harm but doc said no on the pills, yes on the bananas?!?!?

Starting to question my doc's entire methods... I've been with him for over 10 years but he said something to me the other day that really raised my eyebrow.... but that's another story.....
According to Dr. Atkins in his book "Age Defying Diet" he states:

There is a wide disperity of nutritional value and glucose content in certain foods. He says that banana's are little more than unwanted carbohydrates but blueberries are relatively low in sugar and high in antioxidants. He states that there is a place for fresh fruit but not the unrestricted benefactor many dietitians today believe to be. Bear in mind that most of the calories in fruit come from simple sugars, fructose and glucose, the very sugars in white table sugar.
There are other foods that has more potassium than bananas.
Google: potassium rich foods
Anita's Web Page
Old 05-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geekin' in Utah
Stats: 236(restart)/190/189/175
WOE: WLS & NK
Start Date: WLS: 5/2005 (362lbs), NK: 1/10/13
Doctors get little training in school on nutrition and, unless they specialize, not much post-school training, either. As a result, I take everything my doc says about nutrition with a Great Salt Lake sized grain of salt. I will allow it to influence my decisions, but I won't abdicate my health to anybody else, no matter how many letters they have after their name.

Potassium can be dangerous in large quantities, but the 99mg that the FDA allows (stupid story behind that number...) is an exceedingly small percentage of how much you need. Natural foods are always better than supplements, but I wouldn't shy away from them if you are experiencing cramps or you are working out and sweating a lot.
Geekin' in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

According to Earl Mindell's "Vitamin Bible", an intake of 18g is toxic. That's one hecka' of a lot.

I had previously googled info about Potassium and have upped my intake since learning more about it. Have also upped my Magnesium since these Magnesium Threads plus my own research on the subject. I've actually had two straight eight hour nights of sleeping - a miracle for a hard core insomniac.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:38 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Genie80
WOE: Slimming World
Start Date: Re-start 09.18.13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazills View Post
I've been taking 500mg magnesium citrate & it's solved 'that' problem for me.. I upped it to 1000mg one day a few weeks ago & lets just day it was defo too much!
Genie80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Eatyourfat
Also another resource to check out s the website vitaminDcouncil , which discusses approaches to balancing amount of Vitamin D and magnesium and calcium. Apparently these must be in certain ratios in order to benefit the most as well as avoid any possible unwanted effects. Too lengthy to explain but it is one site I've found to be most helpful in that. Regard. Surely there are others with similar facts.
Eatyourfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Eatyourfat
Ohandanother..DrMark Houston s books likeWhat your doctor doesn't tell you about high blood pressure (or similar title ) Legit info, the magnesium deal as Ive understood it is not fluff.... I have nothing with which to debate at this time, just pointing out some possible helpful info. Isn't it frustrating that Drug business can fund studies much better than others.
Eatyourfat is offline   Reply With Quote