Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SchoolPsych1979
Stats: 255/244/145
WOE: ALMOST NO CARBS, with artificial sweeteners
Start Date: 03/25/2013
MCT oil

Anyone buy MCT oil supplement, and if so, how do you like it?
SchoolPsych1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
I know a couple people on the NK board who enjoy it. They say it's great for mixing in both hot AND cold beverages, and has no taste whatsoever. The only caveat is it's pricey, but I'm probably going to pick some up myself this coming Netrition order for summery cold drinks. I could get the liquid coconut oil instead, but ehh... I'll live dangerously
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTIgrad
Stats: Hi:317.5 Current:255.8
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 12/26/2012
Bought some at a supplement store. Ran 20 bucks for a decent sized bottle. Been using that in my bullet proof coffee. I think the pureness of the oil is getting to my digestive system though. Works great for upping my fat content for the day.

Start out slow with the stuff.
CTIgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thank you. I make smoothies in the morning so I'm thinking of putting some in. If there's no taste I can do that. I can't stand CO
Old 04-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 View Post
Thank you. I make smoothies in the morning so I'm thinking of putting some in. If there's no taste I can do that. I can't stand CO
Awww I love EVCO myself Have you tried the refined version, or only the unrefined? The refined has no coconut flavor whatsoever if you're put off by the flavor of that. Some people just don't like how solid it is though too, but I have no issues with that thankfully. It melts really nicely! I'm planning on getting some MCT oil for cold drinks though, because coconut oil is ridiculous in anything cold. It floats like an ice cube
Old 04-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Yes I've tried the refined version and that is what I used in my shakes and it left a greasy film in my mouth.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 View Post
Yes I've tried the refined version and that is what I used in my shakes and it left a greasy film in my mouth.
Ahhh okay, I think that's lessened in hot drinks because it melts and really blends into the drink. I wouldn't use it in cold drinks myself, but the MCT oil will probably be better for that... coconut oil when cold and blended into something cold almost takes on a waxy quality or something. It's strange
Old 04-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
What really is the difference between the refined and unrefined CO? I finished a jar of refined and am ready to open the jar of unrefined . . . so I'll discover tomorrow, I guess. Both were the same brand (spectrum organics) but unrefined was more expensive. But they were both on sale so I bought one of each. Is it just flavor?

Good to hear about MCT mixing better in cold drinks. I really like iced coffee when the weather warms. Do you think that would work for a cold BPC? I could switch out butter for HWC.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/119/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
I picked some up at a local health food store last summer. I didn't notice it making a difference for me, so I didn't bother replacing the bottle when it ran out.
MargD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
What really is the difference between the refined and unrefined CO? I finished a jar of refined and am ready to open the jar of unrefined . . . so I'll discover tomorrow, I guess. Both were the same brand (spectrum organics) but unrefined was more expensive. But they were both on sale so I bought one of each. Is it just flavor?

Good to hear about MCT mixing better in cold drinks. I really like iced coffee when the weather warms. Do you think that would work for a cold BPC? I could switch out butter for HWC.
I definitely think it'd work for a cold BPC! I'm planning on trying it myself this summer, and without the butter and with the addition of HWC I think it'd be great

As far as refined vs. unrefined... I've never found evidence in my research (which isn't conclusive mind you) that suggested unrefined had more health benefits necessarily than refined. From what I understand, the slight coconut flavor in unrefined comes from a bit of the meat of the coconut still being present and the refined oil oftentimes comes from another part of the coconut supposedly.

I've heard people receive benefits from both, and there are people who will only use one or the other. Myself, I normally use unrefined EVCO for my bulletproof tea and for skin care... and I use the refined for cooking unless I'm making a baked good or curry where I really want extra coconut flavor present
Old 04-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2013
I use 20-30g of MCT oil in bulletproof coffee as per the originator's recipe. You have to ease your way into it or you'll be in the bathroom all day!
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I use it only for my smoothies because CO doesn't work in cold drinks.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I bought some to use in bulletproof coffee but even at a lower dose it made me really sick to my stomach. I bought four bottles and thought I had wasted my money but I have found it is an excellent oil to bake with so that's how I'm using it. I love that it's easy to measure because it's liquid at roon temp unlike coconut oil which has to be melted and then measured.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:53 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTIgrad
Stats: Hi:317.5 Current:255.8
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 12/26/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I bought some to use in bulletproof coffee but even at a lower dose it made me really sick to my stomach. I bought four bottles and thought I had wasted my money but I have found it is an excellent oil to bake with so that's how I'm using it. I love that it's easy to measure because it's liquid at roon temp unlike coconut oil which has to be melted and then measured.
A trick with coconut oil, instead of using measuring spoons etc, I weigh everything. Most food containers list how many grams. In a serving, then I either google the conversion I need or use an app on the iPhone to figure out the weight. My scale even has a ML and fluid OZ too.
CTIgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:00 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTIgrad View Post
A trick with coconut oil, instead of using measuring spoons etc, I weigh everything. Most food containers list how many grams. In a serving, then I either google the conversion I need or use an app on the iPhone to figure out the weight. My scale even has a ML and fluid OZ too.
I actually have a chart (somewhere) that shows the weights for different measurements of CO but it still has to be melted to mix up and I try to avoid the microwave as much as possible plus Im not the most organized person and I end up having to search for the chart when I need to use it.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
I put it in my almond/coconut milk in the morning to give it a richer taste. I also make sure I eat when I drink this mixture. The first time I tried it I had an empty stomach & the resulting jitters were horrible. Felt like I just drank 3 cups of strong coffee. I googled MCT then & it seems I am not the only one to get this effect.
Heidinem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
I use 20-30g of MCT oil in bulletproof coffee as per the originator's recipe. You have to ease your way into it or you'll be in the bathroom all day!
If I have it in the morning, I AM in the BR all day. If I take it in late afternoon, no problem. I think in the morning with coffee is the culprit but I don't want to experiment to find out. Afternoons work for me.
Nelle Belle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
How would measuring it with an eye dropper work?
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #19
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelle Belle View Post
If I have it in the morning, I AM in the BR all day. If I take it in late afternoon, no problem. I think in the morning with coffee is the culprit but I don't want to experiment to find out. Afternoons work for me.
Yes I was that way at first but my system adjusted. I had to start with 20g and work my way up to 30 over the course of 2 weeks.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote