Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vitamins and Supplements (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/)
-   -   Supplements For High BP? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vitamins-supplements/802552-supplements-high-bp.html)

raindroproses 04-21-2013 08:31 AM

Supplements For High BP?

Does anyone know of anything natural that helps to lower high blood pressure? I've been trying to lower mine through diet and everything, but that clearly hasn't been working... I'd like to try something natural before accepting any medications from the doctor for it.

Has anyone had any positive experience with any particular supplement they would like to share?

Leo41 04-21-2013 04:32 PM

Have you tried eliminating salt? Some people are very sensitive to salt and it drives up their BP.

My primary doctor also told me that with women, they've discovered that a mild diuretic (Rx) can often bring down high BP--and if you have to take Rx, that's preferable to the hard-core BP meds which are very powerful and can have negative side effects. My doctor always tries that with women first, and you might keep this in mind if you're talking to a doctor.

Mad4Chillas 04-21-2013 05:05 PM

I also a second a diuretic. Also exercise even just a small amount a week would help lower your BP as well.

cfine 04-25-2013 07:10 PM

I believe that The Carlson brand sells a combo vitamin for HPB.

CTH 04-25-2013 07:12 PM

My trainer told me he's seen calcium/magnesium supplements help with high BP. Diet and exercise will help but its slow. Hibiscus Tea is supposed to help but it didn't work for me. Also, deep breathing / meditation is supposed to work as well as some meds in some studies.

I take Bystolic for high BP. It has no side effects that I can see. High BP is more dangerous than taking the meds IMHO until I get all the weight off.

12 weeks ago I was 160/90. Today after 12 weeks of diet, exercise, and Bystolic, I was 140/80. In another 12 weeks I expect to see continued improvement!

Sharss 05-16-2013 02:29 PM

For me, lowering my salt intake immediately lowered my prehypertension numbers. I now also balance with more potassium supplements.

Google benefits of potassium and you'll learn a lot.

Others on LC may disagree, but just letting you know what worked for me.:)

DiamondDeb 05-16-2013 03:47 PM

Eating only unprocessed foods should make a big difference. Have you tried that?

Unless you are pouring bottles of salt on your food I doubt it is table salt that is causing the problem. I would, however, switch to sea salt if you are not already using it.

I've been researching alternatives for statin drugs for my mom & the most highly recommended supplement for that, Berberine, is also supposed to lower blood pressure. Berberine has a lot of other nice benefits, too, so you might want to research it. You'll find a lot of info on it.

Dottie 05-18-2013 06:41 AM

Hibiscus tea is supposed to help.
That being said, there's a reason high blood pressure is called "the silent killer", so please don't take it lightly.
You may also find that you can take a prescription for it, but may be able to reduce or eliminate it as you lose weight as well. (under your doctors guidance, of course).

cinglessofme 05-18-2013 02:31 PM

If your BP is not lowering through diet and exercise please make sure that you BP is not secondary to another disease. My aunt had the same issue. She tried for about 2 years to control her BP the same way to no avail. She finally conceded to taking HBP meds. After 5 med changes her BP still was out of norml healthy ranges. Fortunately she had a proactive physician. An ultrasound was ordered and they found she had renal cancer. She is fine now and in remission. However, had she not taken the meds, I dont think the dr would have been clued in that something else was causing the BP other than the usual causes of HBP: high sodium diets, obesity, hereditary, etc. I certainly am not trying to scare you, however, dont take it lightly, nor wait too long to act. Early detection was key for my aunt.

Yennie 05-18-2013 08:35 PM

There is some evidence now that high BP is caused, in part, by overly rigid arteries, caused by inflammation. While definitely not an exclusive remedy, anti-inflammatory supplements like high quality Omega-3s could be a useful addition to your regime. Also, glucosamine, commonly used for joints, is another natural anti-inflammatory and increases flexibility and health in collagen. Collagen is found all over your body, including the walls of arteries & veins.
A diuretic will lower your circulating blood volume. This will, in turn, lower your blood pressure. It "solves" the problem without addressing the underlying issue. That's fine, I guess, as long as you're aware of that and you & your health care team are ok with it.
Reducing salt (read: sodium) intake is always recommended for people with high BP because where sodium goes, water will follow. So by reducing sodium, you're reducing the amount of water retained in your body. Or, rather, by having a high sodium diet, you're increasing the amount of water retained. Again, affecting blood volume --> see above about diuretics.
Both sodium and potassium are single + charged molecules so if you are potassium deficient, your body will hold on to every single sodium molecule it can in an attempt to maintain electrical balance. Retained sodium = retained water. So supplementing with potassium will ensure your body is in correct balance, allow your kidneys to eliminate excess sodium which will allow you to eliminate excess water.
Also, if you do start taking a diuretic, you should definitely take extra potassium or at least discuss it with your doctor as some diuretics (including the most common one, Lasix [furoseide]) are called "potassium-wasting diuretics", meaning they dump potassium along with water, making you even more potassium deficient.

onedimsim 05-19-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raindroproses (Post 16385639)
Does anyone know of anything natural that helps to lower high blood pressure? I've been trying to lower mine through diet and everything, but that clearly hasn't been working... I'd like to try something natural before accepting any medications from the doctor for it.

Has anyone had any positive experience with any particular supplement they would like to share?

i would say ACV but I am pretty sure i saw you posting you are already a fan. :)