Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2011
Does anyone take a lot of supplements?

I went to BodyLogicMD to be tested for hormone levels and to hopefully get bio identical hormones. It was a great experience, the doctor went over my test results thoroughly. Come to find out my estrogen is just a little depleted, but my testosterone is extremely low. I didn't even know women really needed testosterone!

Anyway, she's setting me up with some bio identical creams but she also wants me to take a bunch of supplements and I've never taken a bunch of this stuff.

Co Q10 because I take Pravastatin
OrthoMega (brand of fish oil)
D3 10,000 units (I was very, very low, my GP recommended this too)
K Pax Pro
Probiotic - multiple bacteria, 20 billion colony count
plus a good multi-vit.

All of these are pretty pricey. So what I want to know is, do any of you take a lot of supplements and do you notice that they make a difference in the way you feel?
greybb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I take

D3: I currently take 10,000 IU daily from NutriGold, and after several years, my D levels are within range for more than two months in a row! I have taken everything from 100,000 IU weekly, to 5,000 IU daily, and everything in between. This is finally working.

Fish Oil (I take a soy-free gelcap from Finest Natural that has 600mg of EPA+DHA. Soy-free fish oil is extremely hard to find, but important for me. If you see anything that says tocopherols, that's soy.)

I take a soy-free probiotic that has ten lines and fifty billion live colonies. I don't always, but because I've been on 5 rounds of antibiotics, I'm taking them to restore some of my gut flora.

I take a daily folic acid that was prescribed, because mine is low.

I self-inject 1mL of B12 weekly.

I'm about to start an 8-week milk thistle regimen, because my liver enzymes were extremely high, likely due to a mix of my MS meds and the antibiotics I have had to take.

I've heard good things about CoQ10, and my GP has recommended it, but I'm not taking it yet. I am taking enough!
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 03-23-2013 at 07:05 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Ntombi, I know what you mean about taking so many pills. I already take 5 prescription pills in the morning and 3 at night so I'm not really excited about taking lots of other pills.

One other thing she insists upon is a very strict low carbohydrate diet! I told her I was already on low carb, but she told me I'm still getting too many carbs (my weight's been stalled for 9 months) and recommended a diet very much like Atkins induction!

She suggested I have a shake called Glycemic Foundation for a meal or snack every day to help keep my blood sugar steady.

Oh, and exercise. I'm supposed to exercise. Yuck!
Old 03-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
fourteen pills per day here, and I'm about to add nine more, with the milk thistle.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/154/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Shop around and compare notes with others here on good brands. I like Now brand and Source Naturals. I get all my supplements from Amazon at pretty good prices. Probiotics are a YMMV type thing. I have been on the really expensive ones and the Digestive Pearls are what makes the difference for me. I get them cheap from Amazon also.
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Butternut
Stats: FAT
WOE: No Flour, No Sugar
Start Date: I have been very bad....
Vit E
Vit D3
Vit C with Bioflavanoids
Krill Oil
Butternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catr31
Stats: 205/169/145
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Restarted 1/3/14
I am suppose to take a multi vitamin, calcium, and vitamin D but taking them causes severe stomach pains and nausea. Anyone have an idea for me? I've tried taking them with food but it doesn't help.
catr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kiwi
Quote:
Originally Posted by catr31 View Post
I am suppose to take a multi vitamin, calcium, and vitamin D but taking them causes severe stomach pains and nausea. Anyone have an idea for me? I've tried taking them with food but it doesn't help.
How much zinc and iron do they contain? My calcium supplement has zinc and so I can't take it at bedtime the way I'd like to ... metal salts can cause horrible nausea, zinc in particular for me but iron too. At higher doses, I just vomit, that's how bad it is. I loathe taking multivitamins for that reason. But I have to, so I take my multivitamin with a full meal - breakfast and lunch aren't heavy enough usually.

So you could try checking the zinc and iron content, and also taking them after a large meal to see how you do.

You can also get grinding, unpleasant stomach pains from taking too many tabletted supplements, it feels like there's ground glass in your stomach. Is that what it feels like? Maybe you're having a hard time digesting the particular kind you take, but a different version might be fine.

Another tip is to look for multivitamins that are divided into 2-3 daily doses, which are easier on your system, plus it just makes sense to space your intake throughout the day, rather than trying to get a day's worth of everything in one dose.

I had always taken a ton of supplements, and I don't think you can be aware of the benefits unless you have a baseline of not taking them for comparison. So in my infinite wisdom, having slacked off completely over the last couple of years, I'm now pretty sure I was benefitting hugely. Ugh.
kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/154/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Grey- I take 14 pills a day. The Thyroid and Progesterone are prescription. My 80 year old mom lives with us and is not on any prescriptions meds but does take most of the supplements that DH and I do. DH does fine on cheap $3 Magnesium, Mom does the Glycinate and I do the Magnesium Oil. I order the D3 with Olive Oil but you can find it cheaper if you look around and catch it on sale. The Magnesium Oil lasts a very long time. I use 5 sprays on each side of my body everyday after shower. It has also gotten rid of some bad foot cramps when I needed it. It’s pretty amazing stuff.

I budget $50-$70 a month for supplements since there are 3 of us taking them. The only expensive one is the Cortosol Manager. DH is the only one taking it and he tried to quit but said it did make a huge difference. He is a night worker and it does help with his sleep. I put together a list below so that you can see what we order and the prices. I try to vary my foods and get what I need from them but this list is what I have come up for ME after lots of research and being diagnosed with low D3 and B12.

Cathy- I agree with Kiwi about the Iron and Zinc. They both make me sick. The COQ10 did at first also. We are on 50mg for awhile and trying to work up to 100. I used to take vitamins right after I ate. I find that I do better if I eat a little, then take them and finish my meal. Mom says that D3 makes her sick. She has been breaking one pill open and applying to her skin daily. Not sure if it is working, we will find out soon with blood work.

Name Brand Price
Cortosol Manager Integrative 40.37
Vit. D3 5,000 NOW 13.18
Magesium Oil Dr. Hendell 7.95
B-12 Methylcobalamin Natural Factors 12.72
Digestive Pearls Enzmatic 16.37
Astaxanthin Source Naturals 18.50
Krill Oil NOW 17.84
Beta Glucan NOW 7.71
Magnesium Glycinate Solaray 9.62
K-2 NOW 9.43
CO Q10 with Selenium NOW 15.56
Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks y'all. Lots of good information here.

And I thought I took a lot of pills!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #11

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I take a lot. Don't know if they help me FEEL better, but many of my blood test values are way out of the normal range when I don't, and theoretically that can lead to bigger problems.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:16 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yellobrix
Stats: 199/175/150
WOE: Tweaking & Discovering
Start Date: Over & Over... 'Til I Get It Right!
I take quite a few and yes, I feel improved because of them...

5-HTP, L-theanine, and GABA: seem to help with my urges to binge, and these are new supplements to me but I'm so impressed

Silica and biotin: hair and nails

Olive leaf: blood sugar, blood pressure, anti-candida, and just general overall health benefits - there are quite a few

Cinnamon: blood sugar, gut health, immune system

Calcium-magnesium-zinc supplement along with D3 and K2 - for bones and cardio health, immune system, and general health

Melatonin: for sleep as well as the antioxidant benefits
Yellobrix is offline   Reply With Quote