Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Supplements and Low Carb Products > Vitamins and Supplements
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
Vitamins - what's a good Multi?

So I've decided I'm lacking and need a little something, something. I'm feeling old and worn out, and all the healthy people I know takes masses of vitamins

Do you have a regime, that you faithfully follow everyday and what is your favourite multi?

I was in the hippy health store today, and the prices range from $12 - 60, so a bit confuzzled.

Last edited by SuzanneM; 03-23-2013 at 06:09 PM..
SuzanneM is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
No multi, but I self-inject B12 weekly, and take folic acid and D daily.

I probably should take a multi, but I'm sick to death of taking the pills I have to take, so I slack on the "probably a good ideas."

ETA: I do like the vitamins from NutriGold, which I get from amazon. They're soy-free, and free of lots of other additives that aren't a good idea for many people.

Last edited by Ntombi; 03-23-2013 at 06:25 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BitsyMay
I take rainbow light. It's all natural and has great reviews.

Last edited by BitsyMay; 03-23-2013 at 06:41 PM..
BitsyMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pinot
Another vote for NutriGold supplements.

I don't take their multi, but I do take their D3, Biotin, Curcumim and Astaxanthin. I love that they are GMO-free and pesticide-free and don't contain fillers like magnesium stearate. I also get them at Amazon (love that Prime!). Their Gymnema Gold is also terrific for sugar cravings. I don't take it every day but when I do, it really works.

I was taking Now Food's Liquid Multi (iron-free) but for some reason I stopped. Probably because I take so much other stuff ... lol! Anyway, I always liked the liquid for better absorption.
Pinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: NorthernNisse
Stats: 234/180/180 5'7.5"
WOE: Atkins '72
I love Trader Joe's supplements. I use their womens multi and add extra vitamin D because my levels are "saggy" according to my doctor.
NorthernNisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: NewYorkGiants32
not a multi, but Holy Basil is wonderful.
NewYorkGiants32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SillverOrchid
Stats: Highest weight 214\209.5/180/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 13 Restart
I take Holy Basil and Natures Way Alive, Womens Energy..it has 26 Fruits and veggies in it.. plus Lutein, Acai,Pomegranate, and Resveratrol
SillverOrchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

hmm, I never heard of Holy Basil? what does it do? I've also upped my Omega 3's with daily flaxseed oil and chia seeds in my protein shake. I'm just hoping to get myself feeling more in balance.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SillverOrchid
Stats: Highest weight 214\209.5/180/155
Start Date: May 13 Restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneM View Post
hmm, I never heard of Holy Basil? what does it do? I've also upped my Omega 3's with daily flaxseed oil and chia seeds in my protein shake. I'm just hoping to get myself feeling more in balance.
I take it for stress.. if you do a Google search you will find tons of information on it.. I really think it helps..and I know what you mean about wanting to feel more in balance..
SillverOrchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneM View Post
I don't know if you're aware of this, but flax and chia aren't a good source of Omega 3s. There is a big difference between the EPA and DHA (Omega 3s) that are found in fish oils and ALA, the precursors that are found in flax oil and chia seeds. They are not interchangeable, we don't convert flax oil's alpha-linolenic acid to EPA and DHA at all efficiently (the body can only derive benefit from about 15% of ALA we consume), and only people who cannot consume fish oils (such as vegans and people who are allergic) should use flax, chia, and hemp as a source of Omega 3.

Nor is cod liver oil a good source of DHA and EPA. It's a better source of Vitamins A & D than anything else.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

No I didn't know that Ntombi, thanks for the info, I'm just getting into supplements in my diet, I'll do some more research. I've been reading about the GLA in blackcurrant oil, that looks good.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #12
Formerlychubchick

Gallery: CurveControl
Stats: 200/172.4/130
WOE: LC JUDD/TOPS
mostly just any prenatal, plus Sub-lingual B complex and Vit D. Lately I have been trying to remember to take a probiotic and digestive enzymes too, but I am really bad about forgetting supps.
CurveControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoLi
Stats: 194.5/194.5/160
WOE: SBD
Start Date: 6/2/14
I got tired of taking the big pills. This last time I bought gummy vitamins. Just a standard daily vitamin for adults.
JoLi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Puppy
I take a milti, B Complex, Lycine and Glucosimine Chond with joint juice for my achy knees.
Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: bee_a_queen
Stats: 297/185/175
WOE: Via Mouth and obviously too often lately
Start Date: Dec,1 2003
I like Gummivits. They don't tear up my stomach or give me levitating gas issues. I also take a sublingual b12 twice a week and daily Vit D.my numbers were low until I started this regiment and now Dr says I am within good ranges. If I miss any....I know.
bee_a_queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
I take Natrol My Favorite Multi-vitamin. It was one of the recommended ones in "The Diet Cure." Also a good one listed there is NOW True Balance. And one from Twinlab. For the $$ I chose Natrol. I spent like an hour comparing multis one night, whew!

Forgot to mention, I am following the Diet Cure right now so I am taking a bunch of supps. In addition to SIX multi capsules a day, I take vitamin B 12 (per my Dr), vitamin D (per my Dr), vitamin C, Calcium, Magnesium, CoQ10, 5HTP, and some herbs like Female Comfort. I also take Evening Primrose oil and fish oil. I feel a big difference with the primrose oil (PMS/cramps).

It's really not that bad. The multi was the hardest one to get used to, since I have to take so many.

Last edited by lc-chica; 03-25-2013 at 04:13 PM..
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debstin
Stats: 175/144/130
Start Date: June 2012
I take Rainbow Light multi in the am and Nature's Way System Well(herbs for immune system)2-3 daily and Nature's Way Alive multi in the evening. Also use a vitamin B 12 patch every 3-4 days. And take 5-htp 200mg release in the evening. Work in a clinic and am around those with viruses,influenza,etc. May not take as much this summer.
debstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: raindroproses
Stats: 5'6" - 203/151/150 - Size 14/6/4
WOE: NK (less than 20 total carbs daily)
Start Date: January 25th 2013
I take GNC's Ultra Women's Mega without Iron and Iodine and they've seemed to work pretty well for me I'm not sure if people on here don't like GNC because I never seem to notice them being mentioned, but I used them in the past and have had good results with it.
raindroproses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:32 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TRISTAR
Stats: 273.8/273.8/139
WOE: Low Carb
I take Sainsburys A-Z Multivitamins with minerals
TRISTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: happybeginnings
Start Date: 05/09/2013
Rainbow Light makes quality multivitamins, and all of their products have good reviews. I've been taking Rainbow Women's One for about a year now. I also take a vitamin B complex by TwinLab; Omega 3; Vitamin D; and a Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc and Vitamin D combination pill by NatureMade. I add in other things sometimes too (inositol, green tea extract, creatine, etc), but mostly I just stick to that for now. You really have to do a bit of research to figure out what vitamins target your specific concerns, but Omega-3, a good multivitamin, and possibly vitamin D is a good place to start. There's plenty of guides out there to help you, just google "vitamin guide", "supplement guide" or something similar and see what you come up with. Also, I heard that grape seed extract is pretty good for slowing down the aging process. You could look into that too.
happybeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #21
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
I take a whole cocktail of vitamins on occasion, when I feel like I need them, sometimes for weeks at a time religiously, and sometimes not.

calcium - with meals
magnesium with meals and bedtime sometimes
biotin - with meals for hair and nails
chromium gtf - with meals helps with cravings
B-100 - with breakfast for energy, time released capsule
a good multi without iron in the morning with breakfast
vitamin c - breakfast and supper
probiotics (the ones in the fridge at the health food store only!) with breakfast
fish oils - breakfast and supper
l-gutamine - between meals and bedtime, always time one of them after my workout

I take this selection based on reading the Diet Cure, and swear by it and all the supplements listed. If i don't take them after a week or two I really notice a difference. I have also taken 5-HTP, Gaba, and another 1-2 different ones for mood, stress, etc, based on the book's recommendations.

Oh as far as brands go, I usually buy Natural Factors, but also whatever brand the girls at the health food store recommend, and I read labels.

Officially down 50 lbs! Another 30 or so to my first goal, then I'll re-evaluate.

Couldn't do it without all the amazing support and motivation from this forum and all the wonderful people here.
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kristenaz
WOE: Low Carb
I take the Rainbow Light Prenatal One (because it contains the B vitamins we need). I like RL because the vitamins are from food sources. I have no proof that they're superior the kinds with synthetically manufactured vitamins, however. I also take a Calcium + Mag + Zinc supplement and CLO (although after reading this thread I may stop) at night. I take Spirulina when I remember it as well.
kristenaz is offline   Reply With Quote